Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darkrai

Default Darkrai

Darkrai

Last generation when released and first round of testing this generation, it was banned to Ubers due to it's sheer Speed, powerful Special Attack, access to Nasty Plot, accurate signature move Dark Void which puts the foe to sleep, and its signature ability, Bad Dreams, that depletes a good chunk that sleeping foe's HP.

HP: 70
    Attack: 90
    Defence: 90
    Special Attack: 135
    Special Defence: 90
    Speed: 125

Now why would I make a thread about the powerhouse? Well, there was the recent event. I recently got a shiny one in a trade (it's most likely hacked but there's no definitive proof). The main reason is Smogon's reconsideration for it's place in the Dream World tier (which will eventually merge with OU). Here's a link for their discussion and the link to their Pokemon Online Dream World OU tournament where Darkrai is legal.

Anyways, discuss and good luck sleeping tonight.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

I don't really see much too discuss. Put your enemy to sleep, set up a sub or nasty plot, then crush your enemy.

I've also heard this guy to be described as Gengar on steroids, due to similar stats and offensive typing.

Eh, I don't play much ubers, so I'm not sure if my opinion counts as much.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Darkrai has very few checks, much less counters. For checks, non SubRai is beaten by Mewtwo, and a lot of Scarfers. For counters, I don't know. Chansey is 2HKOed by +2 Focus Blast.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Artemis (Darkrai) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Bad Dreams
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Dark Void
    - Substitute
    - Dark Pulse
    - Nasty Plot

A Darkrai moveset my friend puregenius introduced to me. Despite its lack of coverage moves, this Darkrai is an unbelievably dangerous offensive threat judging by my own experience from both using and facing it, as the combination of Substitute and Nasty Plot can very easily catch people off guard, since Darkrai rarely uses both of these moves at the same time. If one somehow manages to set up a Nasty Plot while having a Substitute up (which isn't too difficult with some intelligent application of Dark Void, Substitute, one's own prediction skills, as well as the utilization of people's tendency to not expect Darkrai to have both Nasty Plot and Substitute simultaneously), one can pretty much expect Artemis to be able to at least devastate a large portion of the opponent's team before going down (and very likely, the opponent may even need to sacrifice a Choice Scarf-holding Pokémon or a user of a priority move such as their Extreme Killer Arceus in the process of breaking Artemis's Substitute, and being able to eliminate such Pokémon in the opponent's team pretty much for free is always helpful), thanks to its high Speed and incredible power after just a single Nasty Plot. Against some teams, it can even get a free Substitute on the turn in which the opponent switches to their Espeon or Xatu expecting a Dark Void.

Quote Originally Posted by x_vandslaux_x View Post
    Darkrai has very few checks, much less counters. For checks, non SubRai is beaten by Mewtwo, and a lot of Scarfers. For counters, I don't know. Chansey is 2HKOed by +2 Focus Blast.
    Timid Mewtwo with LO 252 spA only does about 80% with Aura sphere, so I don't know what Mewtwo you're talking about but it can take a hit frome some mewtwo's.
    image file size too large, removed - mod

The better question would be what Darkrai you are talking about, as to my knowledge, almost all Darkrai have no Special Defense EVs as well as no more than 4 HP EVs. Against such a Darkrai, a Life Orb-boosted Aura Sphere from a Timid Mewtwo with 252 Special Attack EVs deals 112.06-132.62% damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    I don't really see much too discuss. Put your enemy to sleep, set up a sub or nasty plot, then crush your enemy.

I've also heard this guy to be described as Gengar on steroids, due to similar stats and offensive typing.

Eh, I don't play much ubers, so I'm not sure if my opinion counts as much.
    Gengar on steroids is a good description execpt it lacks the fighting, ground, and normal immunities, and is weak to bug and fighting, but is resistant againest ghost, (dark?), and immune to psychic. apart from that its Gengar on steroids.

Minium s.def darkrai(with 31 s.def IVs) well always go down to a timid/modest nature max s.atk(IVs and EVs) Mewtwo that uses Aura sphere. Now if that Mewtwo lacks s.atk IVs and/or the Darkrai has some bulk in both hp and s.def then it could survive.

Darkrai is a pain do deal with unless you have a good Mach punch user, or outspeed it(Heracross with Sleep talk destroys Darkrai.)
        Spoiler:- Pokemon that I can breed and trade.:

Want
    DW females not listed
    0 speed IVs

Pm or VM me for a Trade.

Character BRANDON FC 3869 2640 3022

In OU no doubt it would be a threat, but there are ways to beat it like Conkeldurr, andTerrakion who is extremely common. Sleep clause also limits its possibilites. It will still be a definite threat for sure and I'm interested in seeing it as a suspect once again.

GodDamnZilla

Deoxys-A is also capable of revenge killing with Superpower or a weakened Darkrai with ExtremeSpeed.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Deoxys-A is also capable of revenge killing with Superpower or a weakened Darkrai with ExtremeSpeed.
    I thought this thread was discussing Darkrai if it were to be placed into DW / OU tier? why talking about ubers

GodDamnZilla

Quote Originally Posted by John Wallrein View Post
    I thought this thread was discussing Darkrai if it were to be placed into DW / OU tier? why talking about ubers
    Either or, do what you want.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

okay thanks for clearing that up :P

GodDamnZilla

In OU no doubt it would be a threat, but there are ways to beat it like Conkeldurr, andTerrakion who is extremely common. Sleep clause also limits its possibilites. It will still be a definite threat for sure and I'm interested in seeing it as a suspect once again.
    Lol yeah having no solid counter besides scarf terra, scarf primape, or strong mach punch user who is able to revenge kill it.
    scizor might work if the darkrai lacks Hp fire, but no doubt.. darkrai would be a big *** threat in OU.
        Spoiler:- lol:

i guess in OU CB scizor, conk and scarfed terrakion would stop him, but i think he wouldnt last long in OU because it would be on almost every team and every team would have to have something to stop him, like excadrill

Quote Originally Posted by Pokémon Trainer R View Post

Artemis (Darkrai) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Bad Dreams
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Dark Void
    - Substitute
    - Dark Pulse
    - Nasty Plot

A Darkrai moveset my friend puregenius introduced to me. Despite its lack of coverage moves, this Darkrai is an unbelievably dangerous offensive threat judging by my own experience from both using and facing it, as the combination of Substitute and Nasty Plot can very easily catch people off guard, since Darkrai rarely uses both of these moves at the same time. If one somehow manages to set up a Nasty Plot while having a Substitute up (which isn't too difficult with some intelligent application of Dark Void, Substitute, one's own prediction skills, as well as the utilization of people's tendency to not expect Darkrai to have both Nasty Plot and Substitute simultaneously), one can pretty much expect Artemis to be able to at least devastate a large portion of the opponent's team before going down (and very likely, the opponent may even need to sacrifice a Choice Scarf-holding Pokémon or a user of a priority move such as their Extreme Killer Arceus in the process of breaking Artemis's Substitute, and being able to eliminate such Pokémon in the opponent's team pretty much for free is always helpful), thanks to its high Speed and incredible power after just a single Nasty Plot. Against some teams, it can even get a free Substitute on the turn in which the opponent switches to their Espeon or Xatu expecting a Dark Void.
    I'm seconding this. Amazing set. It 6-0s bad players on its own and puts pressure on pretty much all teams. I used Sub Darkrai in 4th gen and it's been on every single one of my Ubers teams since. When it was allowed in OU in early 5th gen Sub / Void / DP / FB just demolished teams without much though.

When I used Darkrai in 4th gen Ubers, I always used it in conjunction with Kyogre. I always ran Dark Void / Dark Pulse / Thunder / Ice Beam. It was a really good set then, though I don't know how it would work out now. (Though of course, this set would go with Politoed in Dream World OU.) However, just based on my experience with Darkrai, it's far too powerful to be running around in Dream World OU, unless they also unban Blaziken. That would piss a lot of people off, but I think that it'd be the only way to make sure that Darkrai wouldn't get too overpowered. Sure, there are things like Mach Punch Breloom for it. However, Speed Boost Blaziken is by far a better counter, and I believe that unbanning that too would be the only true way for Darkrai to not be too overpowered in Dream World OU. However, my personal opinion is that both of them should stay in Ubers. Heck, Darkrai is even a great Pokemon in Ubers, so I have no clue why there's the discussion for it to be lowered to Dream World OU.
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoopes View Post
    When I used Darkrai in 4th gen Ubers, I always used it in conjunction with Kyogre. I always ran Dark Void / Dark Pulse / Thunder / Ice Beam. It was a really good set then, though I don't know how it would work out now. (Though of course, this set would go with Politoed in Dream World OU.) However, just based on my experience with Darkrai, it's far too powerful to be running around in Dream World OU, unless they also unban Blaziken. That would piss a lot of people off, but I think that it'd be the only way to make sure that Darkrai wouldn't get too overpowered. Sure, there are things like Mach Punch Breloom for it. However, Speed Boost Blaziken is by far a better counter, and I believe that unbanning that too would be the only true way for Darkrai to not be too overpowered in Dream World OU. However, my personal opinion is that both of them should stay in Ubers. Heck, Darkrai is even a great Pokemon in Ubers, so I have no clue why there's the discussion for it to be lowered to Dream World OU.
    If I am correct, when DW OU merges with BW OU/Standard OU, Blaziken, Excadrill, Garchomp, Thundurus and Darkrai will all be moved back down to OU. I think that also Manaphy, Shaymin-S and others will be moved back down as well, but I'm not completely sure.

Of course, that looks a lot like the first round of BW OU, except with Genesect, Meloetta and Keldeo also added in. A lot of those pokemon may be banned once again, and there may just be a blip for one round, where the metagame becomes random sweepers again. Personally, I can't wait, as it will be much more fun then the bland OU metagame at the moment.

Darkrai may dominate the metagame, however with Excadrill, Blaziken and other speed demons/scarfers running around, it will very often find itself countered. Unless the counters go to ubers again, I very much doubt that Darkrai will find itself ubers again. Plus, the almost always crippling thing known as sleep could be simply stopped by running a cleric, such as Blissey.

Restalk Heracross is one of the better counters out there for it. I can say that Darkrai would be fun to have in OU, and in DW OU it isn't a horrible idea to unban it due to the aforementioned checks and counters running round.

I'm actually unsure as to whether Blissey can tank a +2 Focus Blast though:

252 +SAtk Life Orb Darkrai Focus Blast vs 252/252 Neutral Blissey: 62.75% - 73.67%

With Life Orb, Blissey dies. With Lefties, it is 3HKOd. NP + Sub sets are gg once they get set.

EDIT: I am also in agreement with Barbeller. When they merge the tiers and unban those, it will be fun.
        Spoiler:- Current Hunts:

I have claimed Registeel!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbeller View Post
    If I am correct, when DW OU merges with BW OU/Standard OU, Blaziken, Excadrill, Garchomp, Thundurus and Darkrai will all be moved back down to OU. I think that also Manaphy, Shaymin-S and others will be moved back down as well, but I'm not completely sure.

Of course, that looks a lot like the first round of BW OU, except with Genesect, Meloetta and Keldeo also added in. A lot of those pokemon may be banned once again, and there may just be a blip for one round, where the metagame becomes random sweepers again. Personally, I can't wait, as it will be much more fun then the bland OU metagame at the moment.

Darkrai may dominate the metagame, however with Excadrill, Blaziken and other speed demons/scarfers running around, it will very often find itself countered. Unless the counters go to ubers again, I very much doubt that Darkrai will find itself ubers again. Plus, the almost always crippling thing known as sleep could be simply stopped by running a cleric, such as Blissey.
    Frankly, this is going to ruin the metagame. With all of these sweepers rampaging around, many pokemon are going to be outclassed, and we're going to be stuck with insanely cheap pokemon fighting to the death. It will be just like Ubers, but more annoying.

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

Quote Originally Posted by Soperman View Post
    Frankly, this is going to ruin the metagame. With all of these sweepers rampaging around, many pokemon are going to be outclassed, and we're going to be stuck with insanely cheap pokemon fighting to the death. It will be just like Ubers, but more annoying.
    I agree with this, certain pokemon are banned for a reason. Excadrill? idk if it should be banned. Blaziken is definitely way too overpowered too. just like Thunderus. i really hope that all these pokemon don't return to OU for whatever reason or another.
    Pkmn W: 3181 5617 3649
    Pkmn W2: 1464 4040 1673
    [IMG]http://i45.*******.com/rbijc4.jpg[/IMG]

Lol yeah having no solid counter besides scarf terra, scarf primape, or strong mach punch user who is able to revenge kill it.
    Actually, those aren't counters. They're checks, since they're unable to swap into a predicted Focus Blast.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

It's basically a broken Gengar. Having access to a better accuracy Hypnosis. And a set up move. If Gengar were to have these things, I think it'd also be broken in OU.

Basically, Darkrai should stay uber because of two moves that allow it to completely demolish regular Pokémon.
    Goodbye friends. My Pokémon drive is reaching zero, so I'm gonna go do other stuffs. Love you all. c:

-Alex

I'm too lazy to do a calc of a 252/Adament Mach Punch from Conkeldurr as well as a 252/Adament Technician Breloom. I'm 99% sure that a Technician Breloom's Mach Punch will outright murder a Darkrai
    MewtwoTHOUSAND is an original character DO NOT STEAL.

Oh and I use cheating devices to hack legitimate pokemon that I use for my own amusement only, get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soperman View Post
    If they are "cheap" they wont stick around. They will surely be ousted the first voting time after they're allowed. If they aren't "cheap" then they'll stick around and have no reason to leave and wouldn't hurt the metagame too much.

GodDamnZilla

If they are "cheap" they wont stick around. They will surely be ousted the first voting time after they're allowed. If they aren't "cheap" then they'll stick around and have no reason to leave and wouldn't hurt the metagame too much.
    ^All of this. If a Pokémon is truly broken, they won't leave it in the Metagame for too long.
    Goodbye friends. My Pokémon drive is reaching zero, so I'm gonna go do other stuffs. Love you all. c:

-Alex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast