Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #76

Quote Originally Posted by insomnimaniac11 View Post
    Cobalion is an awesome pokemon. It has a great speed stat outrunning garchomp and others. It may lack a huge movepool but it has enough moves for a few good sets.

Coburst
    Ability: justified- an ability that just barely passes as good but when you switch from a psychic or ghost chances are you dont need swords dance.
    Moveset
    Metal burst
    Thunder wave
    Close combat
    Iron head
    Item: Focus sash
    EVs: 252 hp / 252 sp.def / 4 def
    Description: Thunder wave can cripple bulky waters while close combat helps take out tanks and is a generally good move. Iron head is mostly filler but has stab and can flinch. Metal burst is used in conjunction with focus sash to take out scarf-chomp or other sweepers such as Latios. The ev spread ensures survivability and makes Cobalion slow enough to Metal burst more pokemon. It is best used with full hp so switching is not recommended for the justified boost.

Double and triple battle options
    Weavile. Beat up Cobalion and its a free belly drum with much less hp taken.
    First, whismcott does better for beat up as then it can support it with tailwind or taunt. Metal burst doesn't get negative priority, so you need to go against faster pokemon for it to do damage. One bulky water that counters it is swampert, as it resists thunder wave and returns back with earthquake. Its so slow that metal burst has no effect on it.

P.S. Am I seeing double?
    Last edited by philzone; 13th June 2012 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by philzone View Post
    First, whismcott does better for beat up as then it can support it with tailwind or taunt. Metal burst doesn't get negative priority, so you need to go against faster pokemon for it to do damage. One bulky water that counters it is swampert, as it resists thunder wave and returns back with earthquake. Its so slow that metal burst has no effect on it.

P.S. Am I seeing double?
    In a triple battle Weavile is usually the Beat Up user as Whimsicott uses Tailwind unless in Doubles Whimsicott is better but yeah Swampert is a great counter as so as Gligar

swampert will counter this set no doubt about it. you could try to stay in and close combat if you want but really you should just switch. jumpluff is a great partner just watch for ice punch. wash rotom would resist a swampert and could toxic stall. or grass rotom could switch into an earthquake and leaf storm freeze rotom is rarely seen but could switch into gligars earthquake and blizzard
    Black FC: 4813 8077 9726
    Currently looking for cutsap or salac/lechei berries

Well, I tried to think of something Cobalion can do that isn't just a SD+ 3 attacking moves... Here's a shot

Cobalion @ Leftovers

-Toxic/Thunder Wave/ Subsitute
    -Calm Mind
    -Focus Miss
    -Flash Cannon/HP Ghost/ HP Ice
    Ability: Justified
    EVs: 252 Spe, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 HP
    Nature: Timid

Timid nature is necessary to outrun neutral Hydreigon, Salamence, and speed tie with a positive natured Infernape. This is basically a standard defensive special set. Switch in on something, Subsitute on the switch/ cripple the switch-in or grab a boost on the switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grei View Post
    Alternatively, the Pokemon fandom is on a whole entirely unable to be pleased, and no matter what Game Freak does, a loud minority will always ***** about how they could have done it better. :P

Fun with SI prefixes:

What do you call a 2000 g. mockingbird?

2 kilo Mockingbird

That pun was like 1 trillion bulls: terra-bull

Cobalion.... Mmmm... What to say about this pokemon. For me, nothing stands out in this pokemon. Except the fact that is a fast physical tank! Although this pokemon can be taken down easily enough by special attacks, notably fire types, It can tank hits all day long on the physical side. All this pokemon needed is a reliable recovery move to make it a stellar tank! Having decent offenses in both attacks is a handy tool to make it sort of unpredictable in what kind of attacks it is running. It's ability is somewhat useless but can prove to be useful if you manage to grab a boost!
    This pokemon's type is only shared by lucario, but this pokemon is completely different from it! As I said last week, Steel/Fight is the best defensive type combined with the best offensive type.
    It's movepool is fair enough and contain decent options but really lacks a recovery move outside of rest.

This pokemon performs best if light screen is in effect cz it's weak special defense is low enough to be targeted by special sweepers, so, light screen will be able to grant this pokemon the ability to stand it's ground in front of special sweepers with ease. But of course, this is not essential.

This is not a bad pokemon, in fact it's pretty good and it does have a really good typing and a really cool regal flair in it's design!

Quote Originally Posted by ninjanerd View Post
    Well, I tried to think of something Cobalion can do that isn't just a SD+ 3 attacking moves... Here's a shot

Cobalion @ Leftovers

-Toxic/Thunder Wave/ Subsitute
    -Calm Mind
    -Focus Miss
    -Flash Cannon/HP Ghost/ HP Ice
    Ability: Justified
    EVs: 252 Spe, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 HP
    Nature: Timid

Timid nature is necessary to outrun neutral Hydreigon, Salamence, and speed tie with a positive natured Infernape. This is basically a standard defensive special set. Switch in on something, Subsitute on the switch/ cripple the switch-in or grab a boost on the switch.
    First, its focus blast, so could cripple hydreigon if it had a cm boost, but most special hydreigon have flamethrower/fire blast. steels with a fighting resistance do well, as they resist both its STABs and it can only counter with a hp fire or ground. Bronzong, metagross, forretress, jirachi, ect.

First, its focus blast, so could cripple hydreigon if it had a cm boost, but most special hydreigon have flamethrower/fire blast. steels with a fighting resistance do well, as they resist both its STABs and it can only counter with a hp fire or ground. Bronzong, metagross, forretress, jirachi, ect.
    Focus Miss is a nickname for Focus Blast due to its shaky accuracy but yeah that term really annoys me.

It's really ashame Cobalion is the leader but isn't OU like Terrakion and Virizion

Steels with a fighting resistance? Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but steel is weak to fighting, so, even by combining it with the bug type for example who's resistant to fight will end up neutral to it!

The only way steel would resist fight is combining it with the ghost type that will make it immune to fighting type attacks. Regardless, a steel/ghost type is yet to exist!

Experienced Musketeer
    (Cobalion) @ Liechi Berry
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Sacred Sword
    - Swords Dance
    - Quick Attack
    - Iron Head

Jolly nature to Outrun Infernape, Terrakion and others. Swords Dance for power, Quick attack to ruin Scisor and Mamoswine with low HP. Iron Head is another powerful STAB with a chance of flinching and for a good coverage

Quote Originally Posted by Rayofquazar View Post
    Steels with a fighting resistance? Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but steel is weak to fighting, so, even by combining it with the bug type for example who's resistant to fight will end up neutral to it!

The only way steel would resist fight is combining it with the ghost type that will make it immune to fighting type attacks. Regardless, a steel/ghost type is yet to exist!
    I believe philzone just meant one with a secondary typing that resists Fighting so together it would be neutral. Also Steel/Bug brings in Bug, which is weak to Cobalion's other STAB, making Rock neutral as well. So philzone meant something like Metagross or Bronzong.

Although, a Steel/Ghost would be an interesting prescence in the metagame. So close, Golurk!

Friend Code: 2492-4126-1302
    Friend Safari: Krabby, Floatzel, Frogadier

Sapphire Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team:
    Dead:

Soulsilver Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team: **
    Dead:

Platinum Nuzlocke
    Team:
    Dead:

Quote Originally Posted by grantholomew View Post
    I believe philzone just meant one with a secondary typing that resists Fighting so together it would be neutral. Also Steel/Bug brings in Bug, which is weak to Cobalion's other STAB, making Rock neutral as well. So philzone meant something like Metagross or Bronzong.

Although, a Steel/Ghost would be an interesting prescence in the metagame. So close, Golurk!
    That what I meant - neutral.
    Bronzong, skarmory and forretress was what I was thinking. Hopefully gen 6 gives us the steel and ghost type.

Comments in a delay: Cobalion is like a more defensive and fast lucario though with weaker offenses so when you were posting a defensive lucario it would be directly outclassed by cobalion..

his typing give him restatance and weakness most weaknesses are for common types but double resistance to rock is very appreciated
    and it also resist dark as well but not like virizion it don't get a recovery move (giga drain) and he also have to relay on focus blast on the special side :/.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
    Puns
    -"I came to join the King's Musketeers." (movie quoted) For the supportive set
    -Evil doers cower in fear, When they see the Musketeers near. For the offensive set
    There we go, for the Other Options, prob no puns so people know what its talking about

I chase the dream, not the competition.

Because of cobalion's incredibly shallow move pool, this set seemed to be strong.
    The sword of justice never fails.
    -sacred sword
    -toxic
    -x-scissor
    -stone edge/iron head
    nature: jolly/carefull
    evs: 252 speed/128 att/128sp def
    item: life orb
    sacred sword and toxic do well. Poison all, and sacred sword deals with steels (except those with hight defences and a second type that resists fighting types-bug or flying). x-scissor is for dark types, especially when switching in. Stone edge is for fire types, iron head is for STAB.

Counters steel dual types that have a second type that resists fighting types-bug or flying. Forretress, scizor, skarmory, bronzong, metagross, all wall it. just watch out if it runs hp fire. virizion and terrakion can both take down cobalion, with sacred sword or earthquake with terrakion, or focus blast or sacred sword from virizion.
    Last edited by philzone; 15th June 2012 at 3:09 PM. Reason: mistake!

Because of cobalion's incredibly shallow move pool, this set seemed to be strong.
    The sword of justice never fails.
    -sacred sword
    -toxic
    -x-scissor
    -stone edge/iron head
    nature: jolly/carefull
    evs: 252 speed/128 att/128sp def
    item: life orb
    sacred sword and toxic do well. Poison all, and sacred sword deals with steels (except those with hight defences and a second type that resists fighting types-bug or flying). x-scissor is for dark types, especially when switching in. Stone edge is for fire types, iron head is for STAB.

Counters steel dual types that have a second type that resists fighting types-bug or flying. Forretress, scizor, skarmory, bronzong, metagross, all wall it. just watch out if it runs hp fire. virizion and terrakion can both take down cobalion, with sacred sword or earthquake with terrakion, or focus blast or giga drain from virizion.
    not true... if you run Swords dance then those "counters" are actually none counters.. close combat>sacred swords on none defensive sets

if you run an attacking set use calm mind or swords dance cobalion physical set is stronger due to swords dance boosting *2.

really the same set but swords dance> toxic
    Giga drain really dude play the game you seem to really lack competitively knowledge.

ok so

Wannabe terrakion of UU
    @ life orb/leftovers
    Justified
    252 attack, 252 speed, 4 sp.defense
    Adamant/jolly
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - Swords Dance
    - Rock Polish

Fighting and rock brings a really good coverage to the table.
    It is resisted by few pokemons Close Combat is STAB while Stone Edge is for coverage.
    This set is a double booster set it is one which is used by terrakion in OU.
    I like this set cause it is far from situational, swords dance to beat walls while rock polish to outspeed scarfers like flygon or sweepers like durant, as cobalion have better typing and defense than terrakion it can work better in some occasions but stone edge is stronger in terrakions' hand than on cobalions'.
    This set aims to adapt Cobalion to the situation it is in.

Note for everyone... steel hit 2 types SE rock and ice fighting hit 5 types SE dark,normal,steel,ice,rock Close combat have more BP than STAB Iron head And Stone edge also hits ghosts neutrally. so why is Iron head even an option the flitch chance isn't worth the lack of coverage of this move with fighting it is not worth using over stone edge in any situation but if you are looking for a third slot arrak then you can use it to hit golurk and nidoking neutrally.
    Last edited by Ilan; 15th June 2012 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    Giga drain really dude play the game you seem to really lack competitively knowledge.
    Sorry. Meant sacred sword. Was reading your previous post, and also was busy training a ludicolo with giga drain.
    not true... if you run Swords dance then those "counters" are actually none counters.. close combat>sacred swords on none defensive sets

if you run an attacking set use calm mind or swords dance cobalion physical set is stronger due to swords dance boosting *2.
    Counters, if it is running swords dance, intimidate users are quite good, though most of them tend to be physical users. Hitmontop, salamance , arcanine, gyrados, staraptor can all intimidate and cause havoc. Fighting and ground moves are strong from them, but salemance, arcanine and gyrados have access to fire blast, but need to be careful of the ever present Stone edge, and that cobalion outspeeds them. Alakasam and sceptile outspeed and hit hard with a focus blast. Unburden-lee outspeeds after activation, and can destroy with high jump kick. Burns and paralysing destroy it, as it then loses 2 stats which it needs Calm mind sets mainly focus on focus blast and volt switch. Spikes is damaging, so it could damage it. Vacuum wave is strong against it aswell.

Default Scout's Honor

this one actually won me an impromptu tournament against 14 battlers, so I post it here

Scout's Honor
    Calm, 252 HP and 252 Defense, (rest special defense), Occa Berry

Volt Switch
    Toxic
    Reflect
    Flash Cannon

the first of the Muskadeers (or Billy Goats Gruff)

Counters, if it is running swords dance, intimidate users are quite good, though most of them tend to be physical users. Hitmontop, salamance , arcanine, gyrados, staraptor can all intimidate and cause havoc. Fighting and ground moves are strong from them, but salemance, arcanine and gyrados have access to fire blast, but need to be careful of the ever present Stone edge, and that cobalion outspeeds them. Alakasam and sceptile outspeed and hit hard with a focus blast. Unburden-lee outspeeds after activation, and can destroy with high jump kick. Burns and paralysing destroy it, as it then loses 2 stats which it needs Calm mind sets mainly focus on focus blast and volt switch. Spikes is damaging, so it could damage it. Vacuum wave is strong against it aswell.
    Hitmontop is great, but if Cobalion gets a Swords Dance boost, Stone Edge will kill them all except H-top if they switch, don't forget Unburden-lee can be useless if Quick Guard is in affect, and careful if Focus Blast misses. Burns from Sableye is useful though

Other puns

-In the name of 'Arceus', I will smite you!
    -The comeback kid
    -Symba

Other puns

You can also use Cobalt, Cobalion, swordsmanship, the Pokémon Musketeer Squad, the Sword of Justice, friendship for this pun or:
    In the name of Arceus, I will PUNish you!
    I claim Flygon, the super awesome Dragon

Lax w/ 252 Defence, 252 Speed, 6 HP
    Leftovers/Muscle Band
    Sacred Sword/Close Combat/Focus Blast
    Iron Head
    Aerial Ace
    Stone Edge

Partners
    Beat Up-users like Weavile or Houndoom.
    A pokemon that takes care of Fire/Fighting/Ground-types like Swanna.

Countering
    Blast Burn Infernape, Aura Sphere Mienshao, Focus Blast/Will-o-wisp Gengar, and Focus Blast Sceptile/Alakazam. If Trick Room is in effect, Blast Burn Emboar, Inferno/Will-o-wisp Chandelure, Will-o-wisp Dusknoir, Earth Power Claydol, and Focus Blast Slowbro/Dragonite.
    Flame Body-users like Magmortar.
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

Quote Originally Posted by sbktdreed View Post
    Lax w/ 252 Defence, 252 Speed, 6 HP
    Leftovers/Muscle Band
    Sacred Sword/Close Combat/Focus Blast
    Iron Head
    Aerial Ace
    Stone Edge

Partners
    Beat Up-users like Weavile or Houndoom.
    A pokemon that takes care of Fire/Fighting/Ground-types like Swanna.

Countering
    Blast Burn Infernape, Aura Sphere Mienshao, Focus Blast/Will-o-wisp Gengar, and Focus Blast Sceptile/Alakazam. If Trick Room is in effect, Blast Burn Emboar, Inferno/Will-o-wisp Chandelure, Will-o-wisp Dusknoir, Earth Power Claydol, and Focus Blast Slowbro/Dragonite.
    Flame Body-users like Magmortar.
    Blast Burn? Who ever uses that? And Aerial Ace is rubbish in competitive battling.

Over Swanna you can use Salamence or Dragonite (if in OU) or either Altaira, Charizard or Moltres.

Credit to iPokemon^

Other puns

-The comeback kid
    -Symba
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcanusX View Post
    You can also use Cobalt, Cobalion, swordsmanship, the Pokémon Musketeer Squad, the Sword of Justice, friendship for this pun or:
    In the name of Arceus, I will PUNish you!
    All for one and pun for all?
        Spoiler:- My Custom Challenges:

Just thought of a good counter. Most sets seen use a stat boosting move, so phazing would do well. Circle throw would be your best bet, as it deals some strong damage to it.
    Also, @sbktdreed, why use a lax nature, suggest you go impish, as you need all the sp def you can get. And it isn't even a mixed set.

I still like my idea of Coba Fett, not related to musketeers but thought I add a mix with Star Wars with it. @sbktdreed you can only put 4 EVs after putting 252 EV on 2 stats.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast