Page 83 of 96 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 2393

Thread: You know what really grinds my gears

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    I don't know about Australia, but from what I see, it's mainly just the United States that likes to repeatedly acknowledge that the "day" is relentlessly looming upon us. :/
    Yep, people were still busy doing their Christmas shopping here in England today, too. I honestly don't believe why people believe that utter rubbish - I mean, if they think the world is going to end tomorrow, why don't they think it'll end on, say, New Year's Eve, D-Day, my birthday, heck, any day? If they think it's going to end tomorrow, they may as well prepare themselves for the marginal chance of the universe spontaneously collapsing upon itself that comes with every day that passes.

Just watch the picket signs and posters shine amongst the sidewalks while you laugh at them!

Oh, I have a good one - teachers striking here in Ontario, Canada. I don't which side to pick, but it's really annoying, missing school and losing any extracuricular (spelt that wrong?) activities because the teachers don't agree with the government. Kind of childish on the teachers side, is it not?
    Mine is an unchanging love, higher than the heights above, deeper than the depths beneath, free and faithful, strong as death.

William Cowper, "Lovest Thou Me?" Olney Hymns

I choose my words carefully, but they may still hurt someone accidentally...

Marley, Pokemon Diamond and Pearl

And, look you, there is nothing in this thing of learning out of books. Here, here and here (pointing to his ear, his head and his heart) is your school. If everything is right there, then take your pen and down with it; afterward ask the opinion of a man who knows his business.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Images removed for making the signature too tall.

Quote Originally Posted by Azran Flame View Post
    Yep, people were still busy doing their Christmas shopping here in England today, too. I honestly don't believe why people believe that utter rubbish - I mean, if they think the world is going to end tomorrow, why don't they think it'll end on, say, New Year's Eve, D-Day, my birthday, heck, any day? If they think it's going to end tomorrow, they may as well prepare themselves for the marginal chance of the universe spontaneously collapsing upon itself that comes with every day that passes.
    Supposedly, it's because of the conclusion of the Mayan calendar or something (at least, that's the main reason people give where I live).

But I mean, if it ends, can't it just restart (with new labels or names for the new years)? The modern calendar ends on December 31st of any given year, but it just restarts with a new name for every year...

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

Supposedly, it's because of the conclusion of the Mayan calendar or something (at least, that's the main reason people give where I live).

But I mean, if it ends, can't it just restart (with new labels or names for the new years)? The modern calendar ends on December 31st of any given year, but it just restarts with a new name for every year...
    Yeah, it's the end of the cycle of the Mayan Calender... a bit like our own system of a new year after each December 31st. I actually only just realised that. //headdesk//

Quote Originally Posted by Azran Flame View Post
    Yeah, it's the end of the cycle of the Mayan Calender... a bit like our own system of a new year after each December 31st. I actually only just realised that. //headdesk//
    Yeah, exactly. I never got why it was 2012's particular day of it that everybody decided to panic in fear about it. :/

Yeah, exactly. I never got why it was 2012's particular day of it that everybody decided to panic in fear about it. :/
    The ancient Mayans believed in sun cycles. These cycles ended every certain amount of years. At the end of a cycle, and the beginning of a new one, those that are intelligent and open-minded enough were enlightened with joy, forever. For some reason, some people took this as the world ending.
    Mine is an unchanging love, higher than the heights above, deeper than the depths beneath, free and faithful, strong as death.

And, look you, there is nothing in this thing of learning out of books. Here, here and here (pointing to his ear, his head and his heart) is your school. If everything is right there, then take your pen and down with it; afterward ask the opinion of a man who knows his business.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Quote Originally Posted by Moonrox View Post
    The ancient Mayans believed in sun cycles. These cycles ended every certain amount of years. At the end of a cycle, and the beginning of a new one, those that are intelligent and open-minded enough were enlightened with joy, forever. For some reason, some people took this as the world ending.
    The more and more people give explanations to this, the more absurd the idea of the world ending tomorrow seems.

And besides, it's quite impossible that the world will end "tomorrow". If it's December 21st in the earliest time zone, it'll be December 22nd in the earliest time zone. So it doesn't even make sense that it would apply to the entire world.

The more and more people give explanations to this, the more absurd the idea of the world ending tomorrow seems.

And besides, it's quite impossible that the world will end "tomorrow". If it's December 21st in the earliest time zone, it'll be December 22nd in the earliest time zone. So it doesn't even make sense that it would apply to the entire world.
    Impossible, no. It's more like "so unlikely that I'd find 9001 shiny pokemon before it would happen".

The chance of the world ending tomorrow is the same chance of it ending any other day.

The only thing that's special about tomorrow is Pajama day for me at school.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Impossible, no. It's more like "so unlikely that I'd find 9001 shiny pokemon before it would happen".

The chance of the world ending tomorrow is the same chance of it ending any other day.

The only thing that's special about tomorrow is Pajama day for me at school.
    Oh, I meant that it's impossible that the world will end on one particular day if you take the entire world into account, and it's because of how the time zones are configured, meaning that it's 12/22 1:00 am in UTC +12 when it's 12/21 1:00 am in UTC -12. It just doesn't work.

And speaking of school spirit weeks, mine's the first week of February for some reason.

Why? babies start crying?

lol, I'm wondering if you happened to read the same article I did. Apparently that's true- the calendar simply ends and they'd start a new one, like we would with the new year. The article also stated that the Mayans had a unit of time equivalent to 63 million years, which would make no sense if they expected the world to end in only a few milennia.
    In terms of other space, the sun was what I thought could possibly cause problems- a large solar flare cycle is something the Mayans could've predicted, and something that would reek havoc on our increasingly electronic lives. However, I've recently come to learn that the time of maximum solar activity would be next year, and that we passed through such a maximum in the past decade and we turned out ok.

What I fear now is a repeat of the events of a week ago- basically, I fear what people might do either in panic or simply out of spite.
    Yeah, I thought about that too. My thinking would be that it would apply to the Mayan time zone (which I believe I'm to the left of) so once it's Saturday here I'll relax.
    I'm looking for a Serperior named Serpedera. It'll be at lvl 98 or above. If you happen to have such a pokemon please PM me.

Pretendeavors (Goals I have that don't really mean anything) Updated 10-04-13

Voltorb Flip, Level 8 Victories: 16
    White Geonet: All countries completed!!! (130), 505 Trade Locations (of 513)
    The Last Ten: Locations
    Arunachel Pradesh, India * Dadra & Nager Hall, India * Formosa, Argentina ()
    Henan, China * Himachal Pradesh, India * Lakshadweep, India
    Lubusz, Poland * Madhya Pradesh, India * Shaanxi, China () * Sikkim, India

Pokeathlon Pokedex: 493/493- COMPLETED!!! (01-05-13)

Quote Originally Posted by PsychicPsycho View Post
    Yeah, I thought about that too. My thinking would be that it would apply to the Mayan time zone (which I believe I'm to the left of) so once it's Saturday here I'll relax.
    Of course, the many people who actually seriously say that don't mention that it would have been December 21st in the Mayan time zone, which further proves that they had no idea what they were talking about.

I cannot stand people at my school, they are so ignorant.

To add to that, they didn't count leap years. So if the world really would end at the precise end of the Mayan Calendar it would technically have ended years ago. Honestly I'm more worried about today;the Slenderman's Youtube channel has a countdown to today. (22/12/12)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropius19 View Post
    This thread proves sppf is full of geniuses :x
    My Instagram, please follow!

Hoenn Starters :3

I'm gone from SPPF to pursue academics, and I most likely won't be back. Bye!

I'll go out of the box but since it's already the 22nd I'll say that these people who believes that it's gonna happen on a day really annoy me. None of these 'predictions' came true. It's just like consulting tarot cards, or fortune telling, they're false and no one can guess when these things will take place. Not only that, they make me feel paranoid and it's kinda blasphemous. Now stop talking about it. It's over and hopefully, these things will stay over! Never again will these happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Squirtle View Post
    To add to that, they didn't count leap years. So if the world really would end at the precise end of the Mayan Calendar it would technically have ended years ago. Honestly I'm more worried about today;the Slenderman's Youtube channel has a countdown to today. (22/12/12)
    Actually not true. We have leap days to keep our calendar on track with the seasons, but the Mayans didn't care about the seasons when making their calendar, instead basing the calendar entirely on sunrise and sunset. Check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by nathandg0924 View Post
    ...It's over and hopefully, these things will stay over! Never again will these happen!
    Not gonna happen. People have been predicting the end of the world since the birth of civilization.

EDIT: Added helpful link.
    Last edited by Darenix; 22nd December 2012 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darenix View Post
    Actually not true. We have leap days to keep our calendar on track with the seasons, but the Mayans didn't care about the seasons when making their calendar, instead basing the calendar entirely on sunrise and sunset. Check this out.

Not gonna happen. People have been predicting the end of the world since the birth of civilization.

EDIT: Added helpful link.
    Oh. My bad. Anyway, back on topic, what really grinds my gears:when my friends make jokes about me being short. Not that I don't do it to people older and shorter than me, but at least they're older than me so it makes sense for them to be a bit taller than me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropius19 View Post
    This thread proves sppf is full of geniuses :x
    My Instagram, please follow!

Hoenn Starters :3

I'm gone from SPPF to pursue academics, and I most likely won't be back. Bye!

What grinds my gears:

Choice Scarf variants
    Instagram
    those new advertisement captchas
    having a rear 2 wheel drive car in 4inches of snow
    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/291z3g7.jpg[/IMG]

Little kids and little teenagers that bit ch and moan about not getting a brand new electronical device for Christmas.
    My Soundcloud

My ReverbNation

Music & Musicians Alliance Club

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyUmbreon189 View Post
    Little kids and little teenagers that bit ch and moan about not getting a brand new electronical device for Christmas.
    It's just a phase they go through. They'll realize that asking for those kinds of things on an annual basis will just backfire on them eventually. :/

This title reminds me of that Family Guy episode xD

Quote Originally Posted by TheSirPeras View Post
    This title reminds me of that Family Guy episode xD
    it reminded the OP of it too reference: first post :P
    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/291z3g7.jpg[/IMG]

Sometimes, dark and rainy days make me sort of sad. I mean, the brightness of the sky fades so quickly, which just makes my day a bit worse, and makes me more irritable.

It's 2:33 as I post this, and I already have to turn on my room lights even though there's a window with the curtains open all the way. :/

OH MY GAWWWWDDDD!!!!!!

I just want to freak out, so bad right now.

When people think that just because I'm 12, I can't be mature as them. When people think that just because they were around when R/B came out, I'm not a trusted source of information, because I'm "a new generation of trainer, and you can't possibly know anything about gen 1".

When people decide to be rude just because they feel like it.

When people decide to be stupid or ignorant just because they're older and "therefore more intelligent".

Soo many things right now...

When people from Reddit decide to use the downvote button as a dislike button, or follow my posts downvoting every one of them just because they're butthurt about an argument I had with them.

Which reminds me... The "Which Pokemon Are You?" quiz that I took, and I got Ninetales, that describes me perfectly. I'm way too negative.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Page 83 of 96 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793 ... LastLast