Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocking the Virbank Gym! (Part 2) (745)

The battle seems good, atleast figthning wise.

Annoying that I got my picks rigth or rather Pignite rigth since I was hoping for Palpitoad.

Going to have to watch it after dinner but it doesn't seem bad, they really, really, really overpowered Homika for her to be a credible last gym leader though, worse then the last 3 gyms but good.

They could have used another gym leader and put Homika in the tournament like the possible Shizui but I'm fine anyway.

Really liked her character from what I'm seeing and the whole atmosphere in the gym.

Oh and Pignite seems like more and more he is going to become an Emboar good, good .

Quote Originally Posted by naughtynun View Post
    sorry, who are you? i don't think I've ever seen you before.
    Still here?
    Last edited by Pepsi_Plunge; 15th June 2012 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The 4th Kira View Post
    It wasn't always so obvious though. Not that I have a problem with Ash battling Homika instead of Drayden; I just thought it was weird that Ash battled against her in Best Wishes instead of Best Wishes 2. If they were going to promote a BW2 character, they should have done it right.
    I guess it was for Best Wishes Season 1 to end with a bang... in case people forgot this isn't something, new they replaced Wallace with Juan back during Emerald's release.

It's possible Drayden is a new E4 member or the new champion idk I just hope we get to see him, I mean Wallace appeared almost 4 years after Sootopolis Gym.

The anime is loosely based in the games so I don't know what's the big deal? It's for advertising, so what? =/

Aw this episode was so cute. I got it right that about Ash getting a power up it was because his buddies were on his side. XDDD I giggled everytime. When Dento and Iris were beating those drums they WERE TOTALLY UNCOORDINATED. It just makes me giggle. Iris having slower beats, Dento trying to beat the crap outta the drum. XDD I loved the way the audience looked at them too. Like they were freaks. They are freaks, but they are adorkable freaks. T_T

And yes. Iris slathering orange paint on Dento's face was pretty win o.O I heard him say something about "AMAZING TASTE" there. XDDD

“...This is a tricky problem, huh. I really, really want to see the other Heroes... and if it works out, I want to make friends with them! If I made friends with six Heroes, I’d be an awesome mage! We could even conquer the world!”
    -Flatt Escardos, Fate Strange Fake
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204
    tumblr|fanfiction

And with that, older Gen pokemon officially returns.

clap clap clap

Although this has been overdone, I didnt think this battle should have took two episodes. But oh well.
    Pokemon Black FC: 5458 0929 9006

LMAO. I struggled on deciding whether Pignite or Palpitoad should get the win against Scolipede for weeks(Well ever since Palpitoad was confirmed.) & last minute I chose Palpitoad but Pignite ends up getting the win. I'm not upset though, I couldn't decide anyways.

That last minute of Pikachu VS Garbodor disappointed me, but only because of the BGM. It was still good, I like the BW Ending BGM used but I would have preferred BW Instrumental or Gym Leader's Last Pokemon but I'm fine. It was overall a good gym battle.

If you count the overall gym battle victories of every Pokemon used here, all of them could have afforded a loss. Leavanny got 2 wins/0 losses, Pignite got 3 wins/2 Losses, Palpitoad got 1/0, Boldore got 1/0, Pikachu got 4/1, & Unfezant got 2/0. I'm satisfied with this gym, I loved Unfezant VS Koffing & Pignite VS Garbodor the most though.
    - Claimed:

-XY, already better than Best Wishes.xD

Pokemon Y Team:

Greninja
    Talonflame
    Pikachu
    Venusaur
    Flygon
    Aggron

3DS FC: 1993-7360-7585

Right up until these aired though I kind of held out hope that Ash would lose at most 3 Pokemon with Pikachu and the remaining 2 surviving but poisoned so that the Unova team doesnt look so mediocre.

It wasnt like Tobias where Ash HAD to lose all 6 Pokemon; now in my mind either Homika is godly strong on a level miles above Brycen et al or the 5 Pokemon Ash picked apart from Pikachu arent ready for a league.

Quote Originally Posted by RickHoenn View Post
    Don't be silly, the Pokemon tv show is and will always be about advertising how many years you've been watching the anime? *facepalm*
    Since AG.

Kira's completely right; it was never this obvious. Now it's clear that the anime solely cares about advertising, without any interest in the plot at all. Best Wishes has been riddled with inconsistencies. The Pokémon franchise deserves a much better anime.

Quote Originally Posted by d4rk_tailed View Post
    It wasnt like Tobias where Ash HAD to lose all 6 Pokemon; now in my mind either Homika is godly strong on a level miles above Brycen et al or the 5 Pokemon Ash picked apart from Pikachu arent ready for a league.
    See? It's inconsistent and doesn't even seem to care for events that occurred in the BW saga itself.
    Last edited by The Eleventh; 14th June 2012 at 11:38 PM.

It's not all about getting wins, I really enjoyed Boldore's and Unfezant's battles even though they lost, great animation and music helps. Also, Koffing is one of my all time favs so might as well get some redemption here. I enjoyed the trust Ash seemed to show Mofotoad, but in the end he was overwhelmed by the Poison/Venoshock combo, still not too bad. And my boy Pignite is further cemented as a powerhouse, don't even care about the "overuse". Hopefully, Emboar DOES become the main starter, even if it's yet another Fire type, it's the first Fire starter that's actually my favourite starter of the region. Pikachu stars again, but it's ok, he's the other main character and this is the final gym, anything else would seem unfitting for me, unlike Infernape, any of the Unova Pokes had no plot reasons to star.
    Also, I'm not sure how BW advertises more blatantly than other sagas, if people mean Homika being the final gym then yeah, I guess that's obvious, but it's still an interesting twist for the anime, I don't even care about Drayden. Most people say Ash now looks weak, but really, Homika is apparently such a beast in the anime, that he should be regarded strong just for winning. And since next time is a "New Beginning", this team seems to have plenty of time to develop. It explains why the starters haven't evolved much yet imo.
    Also, YES, Ash finally scanned frigging Koffing! I always wanted him to do it when I was a kid.
    EDIT: Also, YAY a new Pokeball throwing animation for Ash, looked good too!
    EDIT 2: One interesting point in the match, they actually had Ash lower Koffing's Special Defense with the secondary effect of Energy Ball, Cilan mentioned this. Not sure if they've ever had a move lower defense by a secondary effect or even mention Special Defense before, I liked that.
    Last edited by Rohanator; 15th June 2012 at 12:22 AM.
    Might as well link my Deviantart gallery, I mainly do Pokemon related stuff, maybe something'll catch your interest.:] http://rohanite.deviantart.com/gallery/

Ash vs Korrina Alternate Ending Comic: http://rohanite.tumblr.com/post/8546...e-with-korrina

This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

Everyone who is whining about Pignite beating Scolipede should really find something else to do with their time.

Palpitoad finally gets some screen time, which is great. I'm happy he didn't win.

I'm more happy for Pignite than I am for Pikachu, even though he was the star.

Quote Originally Posted by KibaLG8 View Post
    That last minute of Pikachu VS Garbodor disappointed me, but only because of the BGM. It was still good, I like the BW Ending BGM used but I would have preferred BW Instrumental or Gym Leader's Last Pokemon but I'm fine. It was overall a good gym battle.
    Really? I thought the B/W Ending Theme was the best thing to be used, it really fits the atmosphere of winning a battle. Loved every second of it.

The only thing I do think is that when Ash questioned giving up, the pause should have been left a tad bit longer for more tension. It's like as soon as he finished talking Iris spoke right away. Eh, either way it's one of my favourite scenes and episodes of all time.

It was certainly the best Unova gym battle for Ash for sure. Here's hoping for more pokes and more development over this slight return to familiarity. Garbodor is more agile than I thought, Koffing was made amazing in this battle, and it was great to see a status condition versus status condition for the finisher.
    Fiery Oxidation!
    -The spark plug of versatility.
    - Cutest fire type ever!
    ★ Signature was over the maximum height so it was eaten. Read the Sig Rules! Oyeak.
    Hmm, what should I do today? Mow the lawn or cook a casserole?
    Lawnmower, what did I tell you, don't eat the signatures! DIED: May 29, 2009
    Reobtained June 07, 2009- Used against Fantina
    Guys, Ashy Boy knew what he was doing against Morty- Noctowl kicks ghost hiney indefinitely.

Not sure if they've ever had a move lower defense by a secondary effect or even mention Special Defense before, I liked that.
    Close Combat during the first Don Battle for Defense.

I think this was the first time special defense was mentioned at all, though.

Reaaaalllllyyyy not happy that they had this be a 6-on-3.

Makes Ash look weak as f***.

Though it makes Homika look like a real challenge if they want to sell the games, I guess...but still, it was kind of dumb imo.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post

Though it makes Homika look like a real challenge if they want to sell the games, I guess...but still, it was kind of dumb imo.
    It was definetly annoying giving Ash the advantage, not an ideal way to show the last Gym, but it was a great way of showing that Homika was extremely confident and powerful in her battling, giving Ash a real challenge to defeat her for the final Gym Badge.

It was the only way possible really considering she's only the second Gym Leader of B2/W2 being replaced with Drayden.

Quote Originally Posted by An00bis View Post
    Close Combat during the first Don Battle for Defense.

I think this was the first time special defense was mentioned at all, though.
    Right. Though have they ever had a damaging move lower the opponents defenses by secondary effect before?
    Might as well link my Deviantart gallery, I mainly do Pokemon related stuff, maybe something'll catch your interest.:] http://rohanite.deviantart.com/gallery/

Ash vs Korrina Alternate Ending Comic: http://rohanite.tumblr.com/post/8546...e-with-korrina

This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

did the referee scream "oh my god!" when Homika lost? or are my ears going crazy?

I gotta admit...this battle had me on the edge of my toes even more so than Volkner's did(not to say the fight wasn't great, but we had a preview spoiler showing Infernape was going to go insane so someone Volkner had was going to die) , it felt more akin to watching his battle with Jaun.

As far as the pokemon go, I think Boldure and Unfezant had their beatings coming to them after evolving to beat previous gym ace each, and Levanny beat Koffing in a cool way, although I kinda have to agree with what someone else said about Gyro Ball, but oh well.

Scolipede vs Levanny was the one thing I didn't want to see, I guess the writers favor Scolipede more between them, Pignite usage of Fire Tower to burn the thing was cool.

Palpitoad...was the only pokemon in the battle who could be labeled as getting cheated...however since we know Palpitoad hasn't lost a fight without getting a win I guess it was coming, but at the same time having it come back after all this time just to get thrashed was abit dumb.

Pikachu and Garbador was well planned out, long enough and a pretty dang good fight as both pokemon showed they didn't want to go down, but in the end Pikachu pulled through.

Compared to some of the previous gym battles this one definitely was worth it^^

Palpitoad showed some character here, that look he gave Garbodor after missing the first Mud Shot, he probably said something like, "hmph, not bad" when he spoke to it. And then he had this, "It's fine, I got this son" look when Ash told him to fight at his hardest right before "Dare da?" Kinda like the boss he used to be when he was wild. He's a strong fighter for sure, this defeat proves nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Almighty Zard View Post
    did the referee scream "oh my god!" when Homika lost? or are my ears going crazy?

I gotta admit...this battle had me on the edge of my toes even more so than Volkner's did(not to say the fight wasn't great, but we had a preview spoiler showing Infernape was going to go insane so someone Volkner had was going to die) , it felt more akin to watching his battle with Jaun.

As far as the pokemon go, I think Boldure and Unfezant had their beatings coming to them after evolving to beat previous gym ace each, and Levanny beat Koffing in a cool way, although I kinda have to agree with what someone else said about Gyro Ball, but oh well.

Scolipede vs Levanny was the one thing I didn't want to see, I guess the writers favor Scolipede more between them, Pignite usage of Fire Tower to burn the thing was cool.

Palpitoad...was the only pokemon in the battle who could be labeled as getting cheated...however since we know Palpitoad hasn't lost a fight without getting a win I guess it was coming, but at the same time having it come back after all this time just to get thrashed was abit dumb.

Pikachu and Garbador was well planned out, long enough and a pretty dang good fight as both pokemon showed they didn't want to go down, but in the end Pikachu pulled through.

Compared to some of the previous gym battles this one definitely was worth it^^
    No I heard Oh my god as well. Fond memories of Fantina!

Well, Palpitoad aside, the ones that didn't get wins put up a much better fight than I thought they would.

Leavanny and Pignite were awesome, and so was Pikachu I gues.

The whole 6 on 3 thing still rankles me a little, but it could have been worse. Still beats the Elesa battle.

By the way, that last shot of Garbodor getting hit by Electro Ball was amazing. It looked so painful, a true ZAP instead of the usual explosions. The last Venoshock on Palpitoad looked really painful as well, poor guy, he had a terrible look right there.

Another win moment was the judge dude.

"OH MY GO--" and "CONGRATURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRATIONS~" XDDDDDD

Quote Originally Posted by Haunter227 View Post
    The only thing I do think is that when Ash questioned giving up, the pause should have been left a tad bit longer for more tension. It's like as soon as he finished talking Iris spoke right away. Eh, either way it's one of my favourite scenes and episodes of all time.
    You know...it's probably terrible of me even imagining this...but all I can think about is Ash losing at that moment and the war paint, drums and outfits were all in vain.x DDDD
    Last edited by JennaJayfeather; 15th June 2012 at 1:51 AM.

“...This is a tricky problem, huh. I really, really want to see the other Heroes... and if it works out, I want to make friends with them! If I made friends with six Heroes, I’d be an awesome mage! We could even conquer the world!”
    -Flatt Escardos, Fate Strange Fake
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204
    tumblr|fanfiction

Honestly, this pair of episodes was way better than I expected, easily being the best Gym battle of Unova in my opinion. The battle itself was spectacular, and looking back, I realize that everything had some significance to it, even Pignite getting another win. I realize that a lot of people have been complaining about Pignite being used so much, but then I realized why it made sense for him to get a win here. With Boldore, Unfezant, and Palpitoad being the fall guys here, it meant that nobody had to be the fall guy twice in any of the Unova Gym battles. Let's do a quick recap:

Pikachu - 1 (Striaton triplets)
    Unfezant - 1 (Homika)
    Oshawott - 0 (If one doesn't count his tie with Lenora's Watchog as a loss)
    Pignite - 1 (Burgh)
    Snivy - 1 (Elesa)
    Scraggy - 0
    Leavanny - 0 (Even if he had lost here, somebody else would've in his place, so the record stands)
    Palpitoad - 1 (Homika)
    Boldore - 1 (Homika)
    Krokorok - 1 (Skyla)

So, in that regard, Ash's Unova team got fairly equal treatment, with only Scraggy, Leavanny, and debatably Oshawott escaping the role of fall guy. Pikachu and Pignite may have got more Gyms than anyone else, but even they didn't deserve to play the fall guy role extra times. So, in every respect, both in terms of Pokemon treatment and action, this was a really awesome battle. All of the Pokemon were awesome, even Pikachu and Pignite, and we even saw some of Palpitoad's old spirit from prior to his capture, so all in all this was really awesome.

And of course, Iris with war paint is always awesome.

In other news, I don't think that I've ever said "awesome" that many times in one post before.
    Last edited by GalladeRocks; 15th June 2012 at 2:50 AM.
    Dimensions of Darkness - on hiatus l Sgt. Froakie - ongoing l Envoy - upcoming

harmoNy - one-shot l The Piplup and Chimchar Variety Hour - on hiatus
    Author's Profile

Latest Chapter (Sgt. Froakie): Chapter 2 - Beware the Cute Ones
    Credit to Astral Shadow for the awesome sig!

Quote Originally Posted by GalladeRocks View Post
    Honestly, this pair of episodes was way better than I expected, easily being the best Gym battle of Unova in my opinion. The battle itself was spectacular, and looking back, I realize that everything had some significance to it, even Pignite getting another win. I realize that a lot of people have been complaining about Pignite being used so much, but then I realized why it made sense for him to get a win here. With Boldore, Unfezant, and Palpitoad being the fall guys here, it meant that nobody had to be the fall guy twice in any of the Unova Gym battles. Let's do a quick recap:

Pikachu - 1 (Striaton triplets)
    Unfezant - 1 (Homika)
    Oshawott - 0 (If one doesn't count his tie with Lenora's Watchog as a loss)
    Pignite - 1 (Burgh)
    Snivy - 1 (Elesa)
    Scraggy - 0
    Leavanny - 0 (Even if he had lost here, somebody else would've in his place, so the record stands)
    Palpitoad - 1 (Homika)
    Boldore - 1 (Homika)
    Krokorok - 1 (Skyla)

So, in that regard, Ash's Unova team got fairly equal treatment, with only Scraggy, Leavanny, and debatably Oshawott escaping the role of fall guy. Pikachu and Pignite may have got more Gyms than anyone else, but even they didn't deserve to play the fall guy role extra times. So, in every respect, both in terms of Pokemon treatment and action, this was a really awesome battle. All of the Pokemon were awesome, even Pikachu and Pignite, and we even saw some of Palpitoad's old spirit from prior to his capture, so all in all this was really awesome.

And of course, Iris with war paint is always awesome.

In other news, I don't think that I've ever said "awesome" that many times in one post before.
    Now that's what I like to see, finding some positive aspects, that actually makes a lot of sense. The wins have never been even and probably never will be, but at least no one had to get smashed twice without winning.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post

No, Homika was definitely supposed to be that powerful. You could tell from her victims' horror stories and the ref yelling "oh my God!" when she lost. She's definitely on the higher scale of gym leaders.

Anyways, I've decided I liked Cilan and Iris' interactions. Iris's drums and makeup was random, but it was cute to see them so into cheering Ash on. I also literally thought the rock music got to Iris and she started getting busy with Cilan when it filmed below their shoulders.

Spoiler:- Alpha Sapphire Progress:

Quote Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
    He'll be passing the time in East Unova, training for and participating in the World Tournament from B2/W2, along with Dawn and Cynthia, and potentially even more returning characters. Hardly "nothing". Hardly filler.
    IDK about that. I'm more worried of the lack of action, and that's something that we won't find out until episodes are announced.

I guess it was for Best Wishes Season 1 to end with a bang... in case people forgot this isn't something, new they replaced Wallace with Juan back during Emerald's release.
    Wallace and Juan were interchangeable in the games, though. Drayden and Homika are not.

It's possible Drayden is a new E4 member or the new champion idk
    IIRC Drayden is pretty much confirmed as the Opelucid Gym Leader.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Shneak View Post
    I also literally thought the rock music got to Iris and she started getting busy with Cilan when it filmed below their shoulders.
    The fandom would explode if anything like that happened. The shippers would also be throwing a year long celebration.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast