Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Global Link to shut down. Features deactivated in stagger from October 12

Default Global Link to shut down. Features deactivated in stagger from October 12

The Global Link has updated with an notice regarding the Pokémon Global Link. First, the Global Link will open up for a special X & Y version on October 12th 2013, after a 12 day long maintenance from the start of October. However, from January 14th 2014, various Pokémon Black, White, Black 2 & White 2 features will go offline.
    Game Sync will go offline on December 10th 2013.
    The trial version of the Dream World will go offline on October 12th 2013, as will new user registration.
    The GTS tracking for Gen V ends on January 14th 2014 and Rating Mode on Random Matchup goes offline on January 14th 2014.
    The ability to do WiFi Memory Link in Black 2 & White 2 also goes offline on January 14th 2014.
    C-Gear, Musical and Pokédex Skin changing deactivates on January 14th.
    Waking up your Pokémon to get items and Pokémon also deactivates on January 14th. You will be able to wake your Pokémon up from the game side at any time, but the ability to do so from the Global Link deactivates on January 14th
    However, using the GTS in the games, Free Rating in the Random Matchup and all the other in-game online features will continue.

If the Dream World is shutting down, won't that make getting all of the medals in B/W 2 impossible, due to some requiring the capture of Dream World Pokemon?

I guess I better get that done now...

Quote Originally Posted by Rakurai View Post
    If the Dream World is shutting down, won't that make getting all of the medals in B/W 2 impossible, due to some requiring the capture of Dream World Pokemon?

That's right, and it'll also severely limit the ability to get berries or other items.

I know they also disabled the GTS site for Gen IV when BW came out, but this is so major and integral to a few story purposes and other things that I can't believe they'll shut it down.

I just tried to get on but nope they have Maintenance I find it rather annoying they tell us we have limited time left and at the same time close the site down for maintenance but I do hope they keep it open a little bit longer then they said they would

"Well I'm walking by the red light
    Gonna find me all that I'm owed
    And I know where I'm gonna be then
    When the red light's gonna shine on me"

Quote Originally Posted by HeroicRein View Post
    I just tried to get on but nope they have Maintenance I find it rather annoying they tell us we have limited time left and at the same time close the site down for maintenance but I do hope they keep it open a little bit longer then they said they would
    They don't have maintanance, I'm on the Dream World right now.

What country are you on?

Quote Originally Posted by dirkac View Post
    They don't have maintanance, I'm on the Dream World right now.

What country are you on?
    Let me rephrase, they had maintenance, its fine now

"Well I'm walking by the red light
    Gonna find me all that I'm owed
    And I know where I'm gonna be then
    When the red light's gonna shine on me"

I've started a list of things exclusive to the DW, PM me if you wanna help out.
    3DS FC: 3652-1911-7158

Friend Safari: Psychic

Drowzee/Espurr/Xatu

Well this sucks!
    I better do some things now! Like get Pokémon that are Dream World Exclusive!

My FireRed Champs:

My HeartGold Team:

My Black Team:

My White Team:

My White 2 Team So Far:

From what I can understand, DW will be restricted to X/Y only, starting from October 12.

....and then DW is permanently killed on December 10, since that's the date where we can't tuck in a Pokemon anymore.

This means X/Y gets to try DW for only a mere 2 months, then what's the point of implementing that feature into X/Y ._.

I guess this also means whatever system X/Y will use to access DW, will be able to access a new feature as well.

My shinies. Just click the links~

~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~
    ~Shiny Banner 3~

My shinies are not for trade or cloning.
    Shinies are not listed in order, for example the last shiny on the banner is not always the latest shiny I've obtained.
    Banner 1 made by Light Venusaur, thanks ^_^

The Dream World was a gimmick at best but at the same time provided godsends to some Pokémon like Blaziken and Sableye. But dammit we don't even have Contrary Snivy, Shadow Tag Litwick yet and female DW starters/Gothita. =(

They probably won't delete hidden abilities entirely, they'll just make a different way to get them. We may yet get Shadow Tag Litwick, but probably not until Gen 6.

It does suck majorly that they're shutting down Gen 5 PGL, tho. I didn't get a chance to use it, except for playing around in demo mode for a little while. If only I had permanent, compatible WiFi access...

Brilliant planning on that one, Game Freak. Are there any other medals besides Dozing Capture, Sleeping Capture, Deep Sleep Capture, and Sweet Dreamer that require the Global Link (and thus will be lost forever when the PGL goes down)?

Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post
    From what I can understand, DW will be restricted to X/Y only, starting from October 12.

....and then DW is permanently killed on December 10, since that's the date where we can't tuck in a Pokemon anymore.

This means X/Y gets to try DW for only a mere 2 months, then what's the point of implementing that feature into X/Y ._.

I guess this also means whatever system X/Y will use to access DW, will be able to access a new feature as well.
    Nope, registration of games stops on October 12th, the day XY will be released. I think what's going to happen is that January 14th (the day the 5th gen Global Link site shuts down for good) is when they'll open up a new Global Link site for 6th gen, or at least start working on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

I'm pretty sure that if you trade a Pokemon from the DW elsewhere, you will still get that medal, regardless if you haven't joined the GU. Unless that's wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by 1quacka1 View Post
    I've started a list of things exclusive to the DW, PM me if you wanna help out.
    I recommend a BW and BW2 exclusive on the side of the spreadsheet.
    Last edited by A_Merry_Snowrunt; 1st July 2013 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post

No, I think it is going to be a new Dream World for X/Y, and they are simply shutting down the old one, but keeping it around for a bit so people can transfer their accounts over.
    IGN: Nick
    3DS FC: 4897 - 7040 - 0177
    ~~~
    Current MM:
    Previous MM's: Chansey, Furfrou, Mawile

I'm not surprised in the slightest that Dream World was a generation five gimmick, but it's still unfortunate to have a useful tool vanish.

Spoiler:- "Alpha Sapphire Progress:

Ugh, thank you!

I hated the Dream World gimmick and I'm not sad in the very least to see it go. Besides, like someone said above, I'm sure they won't get rid of the new abilities themselves. They might just be integrated into the usual abilities upon capturing a pokemon.

But coming back to the Dream World...I'm am SO glad it's going away! I do understand if people are unhappy because it takes a lot of time investing. I remember how long it took to save up those berries, but now, ultamitely, it looks like all those berries are wasted.

That's something else to think about. Releasing all those legendary dolls, only to close in a few months. Makes me think they might not close it permanently, but hey, I won't complain either way.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Credit goes to FairyWitch at Flower Paradise Graphics

Fanfic Status: Currently postponed-- Kingdom Hearts: Memories' Reflection. Last updated 8/17/13

Quote Originally Posted by A_Merry_Snowrunt View Post
    I'm pretty sure that if you trade a Pokemon from the DW elsewhere, you will still get that medal, regardless if you haven't joined the GU. Unless that's wrong.
    No, the exact requirements for those medals require you to catch X number of Pokemon from the Entralink. And I don't think there's any way to fulfill that requirement without the Global Link.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin of Arceus View Post
    They probably won't delete hidden abilities entirely, they'll just make a different way to get them. We may yet get Shadow Tag Litwick, but probably not until Gen 6.

It does suck majorly that they're shutting down Gen 5 PGL, tho. I didn't get a chance to use it, except for playing around in demo mode for a little while. If only I had permanent, compatible WiFi access...
    well, they can change litwick hidden ability on 6th gen, as we shouldn't know it's ability. they can do it with any pokémon that didn't have been officially released on DW.
    My friend code. 5071 4833 9653

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick Hunter View Post
    well, they can change litwick hidden ability on 6th gen, as we shouldn't know it's ability. they can do it with any pokémon that didn't have been officially released on DW.
    The only problem with that is that regardless of whether or not they're officially released, the reason we know what their hidden abilities are is because they're already hard-coded into the game. They wouldn't be able to change their hidden abilities between generations, at least not without a lot of unnecessary reason to do so.

It's not that hard to change that code. Any hacker can change abilities and learnset easily. And it won't make the game have any conflict, as the pokémon hasn't been released. But we don't know if there will be a transfer from gen 5 to 6
    My friend code. 5071 4833 9653

I knew the Dream World was just a Generation 5 gimmick, but I didn't think it would go offline once Generation 6 started. I thought it would stay online like the GTS stayed even when Generation 4 ended. I'm really disappointed since I really liked the Dream World. Imo, it's like Nintendo and/or Gamefreak doesn't care about its fans.

Yeah, unfortunately.

Some of the medals require extreme dedication or exploitation, such as the one-thousand C-Gear interactions medal (I think that's the one), whereas some of the medals require a lot of patience, such as egg-hatching. Of course, some of the medals would require getting the game at an early enough time. In all three cases, it would be the player's fault for not having enough dedication, not having enough patience, or not getting the game at an early enough time.

Is it fair? Probably not. But those are probably very legitimate criteria on which to base medals, and it's sad to see a certain few become unobtainable because of the Global Link shutting down.

Chances are, they are just preparing to launch another gimmick website they arent telling anyone yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Skies View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately.

Some of the medals require extreme dedication or exploitation, such as the one-thousand C-Gear interactions medal (I think that's the one), whereas some of the medals require a lot of patience, such as egg-hatching. Of course, some of the medals would require getting the game at an early enough time. In all three cases, it would be the player's fault for not having enough dedication, not having enough patience, or not getting the game at an early enough time.

Is it fair? Probably not. But those are probably very legitimate criteria on which to base medals, and it's sad to see a certain few become unobtainable because of the Global Link shutting down.
    So overall we're getting punished for having a life.
    Too uncreative to make a new sig...

Quote Originally Posted by IAintObeezy View Post
    Chances are, they are just preparing to launch another gimmick website they arent telling anyone yet.
    Probably, but why force everybody that had a Dream World account to sign up for another account on a new website when the Dream World was already there to do the exact same thing?

So overall we're getting punished for having a life.
    If you want to think of it that way, sure, I guess. But I don't really think it can be denied that getting a game early and being able to use a mechanic before it's too late is a legitimate achievement to get.

Oh yeah the medals, I wish, if they do bring back the medal system again, that Gamefreak doesn't implement Medals related to the Online world as they should consider that not everyone has the ability to keep a stable connection going for them. In fact just rid the Medal System completely, it's annoying to see that same man in every Pokémon Center but then again, I'm not forced to complete the whole collection anyway. So regardless of the soon-to-be impossible Medals, I don't mind really as I never cared to fill in all the tasks anyway.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast