Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 105

Thread: Taboos in society.

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Shiver Star
    Posts
    2,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iceberg View Post
    Anyway, something I find that is very taboo in North American society is the consumption of alcohol. I'm from Germany, and there people drink wine and beer alongside meals and casually throughout the day. Even teenagers. Because of this, my friends and I never really had the urge to go out and get completely hammered the moment we became completely of age. (I'm not saying that nobody in Germany does though, because a lot of people thoroughly enjoy getting hammered). When I moved here, I noticed young people (below age) wanting to get drunk so bad that they break the law, get completely wasted, and often do very irresponsible things. What I'm saying is that if alcohol wasn't so
    taboo, some people wouldn't be so eager to try it.
    Drinking alcohol does kill a bunch of people, but that doesn't mean we should outright ban alcohol. I think there should be harsher punishments for drunk drivers though.
    Jackpot!

    I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

    Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marioguy View Post
    In this thread we shall discuss the taboos in our society, and whether or not they should actually be considered taboos.

    Let's start with suicide. Why is it so frowned upon in our society to kill oneself? Does it come from religion? Is it unethical to force someone to live when they obviously don't want to, especially when it drains resources?

    What other taboos do you find odd?
    Suicide is taboo because it really is wrong. It's a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Plus, it also affects the ones that you love. They would miss you a lot. And finally, ending the life that God gave you is never a good thing.
    Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Unova Champion

    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Shiver Star
    Posts
    2,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Michael View Post
    Suicide is taboo because it really is wrong. It's a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Plus, it also affects the ones that you love. They would miss you a lot. And finally, ending the life that God gave you is never a good thing.
    It's still a solution though. What if you don't love anyone? Why should you keep on living to please people you don't even care about? Does God end all lives anyway?
    Jackpot!

    I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

    Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Michael View Post
    Suicide is taboo because it really is wrong. It's a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Plus, it also affects the ones that you love. They would miss you a lot. And finally, ending the life that God gave you is never a good thing.
    So you're saying a person should prolong their suffering so that their family won't be sad. If my life is crumbling around me, I don't give 2 sh!ts about my family's feeling, because they're trivial and unimportant.

    And as for "The life GAWD gave you", It can't be a good argument until you demonstrate that he really exists. Otherwise you might as well talk about unicorns.
    Ash nazg durbatulűk, ash nazg gimbatul,
    ash nazg thrakatulűk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuma
    No morals for you evolutionists.
    Please avoid saying things like that.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    My home
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    On the sub-category of nudity, I question the censorship of women's nipples. I'm not sure if they are taboo because of sexuality or it was already taboo to begin with and ended-up becoming a forbidden fruit, evoking a man's curiosity and turning nipples into a general fetish.
    Last edited by pikadon92; 6th July 2012 at 11:02 AM.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    3,189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Michael View Post
    Suicide is taboo because it really is wrong. It's a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Plus, it also affects the ones that you love. They would miss you a lot. And finally, ending the life that God gave you is never a good thing.
    You think it is wrong, the person commiting suicide obviously don't think it's wrong.

    So you say it is okay to suffer because otherwise your loved ones will be hurt? You really have no idea how being suicidal works.

    There is no proof God exists, so that is a terrible argument. What if the person doesn't believe in your God?
    Last edited by 7 tyranitars; 6th July 2012 at 4:21 PM.
        Spoiler:- My latest challenge:

  7. #32
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 7 tyranitars View Post
    You think it is wrong, the person commiting suicide obviously don't think it's wrong.

    So you say it is okay to suffer because otherwise your loved ones will be hurt? You really have no idea how being suicidal works.

    There is no proof God exists, so that is a terrible argument. What if the person doesn't believe in your God?
    None of you get it at all. Your family is very important, and should be important to you. Whatever you're going through will be temporary, and again, like I said before, suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Killing yourself is selfish, because you're not thinking about how your actions will affect others. You're trying to make a quick (and frankly sad) fix to a problem that will be fixed in the future.

    As for your second point, if you don't believe in Him, that's your thing, but I'm just stating my opinion, and the opinion of nearly 90% of the American public.
    Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Unova Champion

    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Michael View Post
    None of you get it at all. Your family is very important, and should be important to you. Whatever you're going through will be temporary, and again, like I said before, suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
    You're making all these assumptions about how families always are, when that just isn't the case. Becoming a parent does not instantly make you responsible, a good person or influence, any of that. There are families with permanent issues because just being in a family does not absolve those issues.

    and the opinion of nearly 90% of the American public.
    That's awesome. 90% of the world once thought the world was flat.

    The future surrounds us.

    Let us begin.




  9. #34
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Leggs View Post
    You're making all these assumptions about how families always are, when that just isn't the case. Becoming a parent does not instantly make you responsible, a good person or influence, any of that. There are families with permanent issues because just being in a family does not absolve those issues.
    At the end of the day, taking your life is 99.99% of the time a very wrong idea. Really, just think. Is that problem you're going through really bad enough to kill yourself? Whatever is going on, it will pass, and taking your life is not the solution.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Leggs View Post
    That's awesome. 90% of the world once thought the world was flat.
    You are a very sad person, that's all I have to say.
    Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Unova Champion

    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Michael View Post
    At the end of the day, taking your life is 99.99% of the time a very wrong idea. Really, just think. Is that problem you're going through really bad enough to kill yourself? Whatever is going on, it will pass, and taking your life is not the solution.
    How about terminal cancer? Untreatable disability? No ability to thrive on a personal, social or economic level in society? These things do happen.

    You are a very sad person, that's all I have to say.
    My point was that the ubiquity of an opinion has no impact on its validity. How does that make me sad?

    The future surrounds us.

    Let us begin.




  11. #36
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Leggs View Post
    How about terminal cancer? Untreatable disability? No ability to thrive on a personal, social or economic level in society? These things do happen.

    You can still live life to the fullest before you die. Do you know the amount of people with those conditions who haven't killed themselves? They found pleasure in the little joys of life, and made sure to spend as much time with their loved ones before they died.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Leggs View Post
    My point was that the ubiquity of an opinion has no impact on its validity. How does that make me sad?
    The opinion of "the world being flat" and people believing in God are two completely different things. It is a scientific FACT that the world is not flat, we clearly saw that during the Apollo missions. There is nothing to scientifically prove the existence of God, but there is nothing to disprove His existence, either.
    Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Unova Champion

    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Michael View Post
    You can still live life to the fullest before you die. Do you know the amount of people with those conditions who haven't killed themselves? They found pleasure in the little joys of life, and made sure to spend as much time with their loved ones before they died.
    And what if they've been cast off by their families and friends? What if they're alone in a hospital with nobody at all? Do those "little joys" outweigh the pain they'll go through until they die?

    The opinion of "the world being flat" and people believing in God are two completely different things. It is a scientific FACT that the world is not flat, we clearly saw that during the Apollo missions. There is nothing to prove the existence of God, but there is nothing to disprove His existence, either.
    You are correct, and I apologize for that implication. My point was not to say that God doesn't exist, simply pointing out that the amount of people that believe any given thing should not, in the context of any debate or rational analysis of a subject, have a bearing on its validity.

    The future surrounds us.

    Let us begin.




  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,615

    Default

    @ Trainer Michael, You're making an awful lot of assumptions. Like the strength of a person. Some people are stronger than others, be it physically or emotionally.
    "They found pleasure in the little joys of life"
    I can't let that one go either, some of us were just so heavily medicated we didn't notice the pain. There was no joy either. Just nothingness, which is probably very similar to being dead.
    While I'm glad that YOU are doing so well, please don't assume you know exactly how the rest of us feel.

    BUT! having actually struggled with depression, I can say that you shouldn't give up without a fight. There are resources out there to help through the rough patches, all you have to do is make a phone call. (or step into a doctor's office)
    Pearl BQ: 1.2.3.4.
    SS BQ: 1.2.3.4.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Leggs View Post
    And what if they've been cast off by their families and friends? What if they're alone in a hospital with nobody at all? Do those "little joys" outweigh the pain they'll go through until they die?
    The end fact is, no one should end their life. It's not in your power to do so. As long as you're breathing, you still have a purpose on this earth.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Leggs View Post
    You are correct, and I apologize for that implication. My point was not to say that God doesn't exist, simply pointing out that the amount of people that believe any given thing should not, in the context of any debate or rational analysis of a subject, have a bearing on its validity.
    Understandable.
    Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Unova Champion

    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Shiver Star
    Posts
    2,155

    Default

    Why do some people care so badly if others want to end their own lives. It's none of their business. It's kind of like how pro-life people really just want to control women.
    Jackpot!

    I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

    Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

  16. #41

    Default

    Taboos that I don't understand:

    Drug use, particularly Marijuana
    Masturbation
    Being gay
    Check out my YouTube channel, if you'd like

    http://www.youtube.com/skatingandgaming

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Shiver Star
    Posts
    2,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skatingandgaming View Post
    Taboos that I don't understand:

    Drug use, particularly Marijuana
    Masturbation
    Being gay
    Some drugs can make the user cause harm to others. Same goes with alcohol.
    Jackpot!

    I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

    Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

  18. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marioguy View Post
    Some drugs can make the user cause harm to others. Same goes with alcohol.
    I agree, not all drugs should be legalized. But marijuana should.
    Check out my YouTube channel, if you'd like

    http://www.youtube.com/skatingandgaming

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hyrule, stopping Ganon..again
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manafi's Dream View Post
    Some people commit suicide because life gets to be "too hard." In the religious community, it is frowned upon as a sin. Taking your life is addressed in the Bible as one of the worst sins to commit. In normal life, some people end up abandoned by the person who took their life, like children or spouses, which is not exactly supported by the general public.


    alright, i get what this guy is saying, but the christian church has xonfused me so much, i dont know what to think. you say suicide is recognized as the worse sin you could make, well i was also taught by numerous sources that all sins are created equally by god. i was also taught by the church that if your saved and devote your life to jesus then you have a spot in heaven reserved, then why are they saying your soul will be damned to hell then.

    I'm saying this from a person who wants to believe there is a higher power, but it seems the church can't make up their minds.


    also, i just wanna lay this out in the open. i think the taboos of race, and locations still place a mark in todays society. I'm gonna set up a hypothetical motion. say an man from the north, New-York City for example came to the deep south, do you think the people are gonna be gun totting hicks, or educated southerns? I believe that the media will continue to lay down these outrageous minorities until the end of time itself




        Spoiler:- Achievements:


        Spoiler:- Events:


        Spoiler:- Dream World:



  20. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Shiver Star
    Posts
    2,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manafi's Dream View Post
    Some people commit suicide because life gets to be "too hard." In the religious community, it is frowned upon as a sin. Taking your life is addressed in the Bible as one of the worst sins to commit. In normal life, some people end up abandoned by the person who took their life, like children or spouses, which is not exactly supported by the general public.
    Not everyone shares the same religion. People can't force their beliefs onto others like that.
    Jackpot!

    I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

    Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,554

    Default

    This is only marginally related, but the fact that alcohol is usually referred to in a larger context as "drugs & alcohol", which is such a ubiquitous statement that I know a sizable number of people who believe that alcohol isn't a drug. I've always been pretty disturbed by the special place alcohol serves in our society.

    The future surrounds us.

    Let us begin.




  22. #47
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marioguy View Post
    Why do some people care so badly if others want to end their own lives. It's none of their business. It's kind of like how pro-life people really just want to control women.
    Pro-Life people (like me) aren't trying to control anyone. We're trying to preserve LIFE.
    And your life isn't necessarily your own. If you're part of a family, you have people that love and care about you. Committing suicide is a very selfish thing to do.
    Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Unova Champion

    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,989

    Default

    Sex - the most problematic taboo I've ever come across because of the complications caused by gender roles, religion, and overall thinking.

    1) Sex - Thanks to access to pornography, gender roles in society, and the representation of women in society: men have expectations of women as being a loving and nurturing mother by day, and a beautiful sexual deviant who quenches their wild desires at night. That doesn't scream equality now does it? On top of that, there's a double-standard in place: Women are to be objectified by the greater masses, but men feel the need to protect their bodies even though they objectify other women (it's the one where your friend might want your sister, but gets pissed off if you want his). Where is the equality in this? After all I'm sure a woman can make up her own mind about whether or not she wants to engage in sexual acts. After all, she's no less human than you and I.

    2) The Act Itself - For all the benefits that religion has given the world, there's also demerits. Religion has often times attached the label of shame to sexual intercourse. The biggest example of that is masturbation. Notice how it's hypocritical? So it may be fine to have sexual intercourse but we cannot touch ourselves because we're destined to a life of punishment? (hint: once reaching puberty, we're essentially a cesspool of hormones and thoughts about the opposite sex). It's stuff like this that makes me think if only religion opened up to thinking for itself. Additionally, if you think about how the animal world interacts (hint: we're also animals at the base level), you'll see that sex isn't a matter of social stigma, but rather a process in which their species are in perpetual continuity.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marioguy View Post
    Why do some people care so badly if others want to end their own lives. It's none of their business. It's kind of like how pro-life people really just want to control women.
    Well, that's because human life is precious. It's one thing to care about yourself, and it's another thing to actually care about your fellow man. Only in rare situations do I actually condone suicide as an acceptable act. Those situations where a person truly does not have any hope, or lives with non stop suffering that cannot be tempered. However, it is a rare situation. People that are suicidal need help. They do not need judgement, nor do they need people saying "Who cares, just do it."

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    731

    Default

    Pro-life is personally something that is very difficult for me. Whilst I believe everyone is entitled to life there are many factors that come into it. For example, perhaps the baby has been discovered to have some kind of debilitating illness that will affect it throughout life, or perhaps a lifespan of five years old (which will be painful). Other factors include if the mother is able to live with the responsibility of raising a child this point spawns from both benefiting the mother and the child. I think everyone has thought that some people really shouldn't be parents, child abusers a lot of the time go under the radar and that is no way for a child to grow up.

    I also believe that women should be given the choice but ONLY if having the baby will negatively affect their life that it would become terrible, you know the people who can barely live for themselves and find life a struggle, adding a baby into the mix can be daunting and horrifying. I however do not agree that women should be allowed to get pregnant as many times as they want and discard of it like it's nothing, that's just wrong.

    So as you can see I am torn on Pro-Life, though I do strongly disagree with the taboo's of homosexuality and transgenderism, not the act but those who believe it is a taboo, those should never be a taboo, people have the right to choose their own lives.

    -Edit - Dark God Heart ^(Above), I agree about suicide, as somebody who was suicidal at one point I believe suicidal people need help. And looking back on my experience you have pretty much highlighted my beliefs on suicide (kudos)
    Last edited by Pokeshippers; 14th July 2012 at 11:23 PM.


        Spoiler:- Personality Pony:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •