Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 66

Thread: Video Games and Violence

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Cajunland
    Posts
    578

    Default Video Games and Violence

    What is your opinion on the people who think violent games such as Call of Duty cause violence in children?

    Personally I believe that all the stuff they say isn't true.

    A quote: "FPS are training our children to kill thousands of innocent people."
    My opinion is that no, most FPS games aren't against innocent people, but against armies

    Who else has an opinion on this?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    404

    Default

    Unless someone already has a problem to begin with, then no, these games would not cause violence. I've played more than enough FPS games to know that quote is a load of baloney.
    I will not trade for hacked/cloned pokemon.
    5th gen: I can breed max Sp.Att/Speed Zoruas with Extrasensory and Dark Pulse with a modest nature.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where the wind blows
    Posts
    4,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mariobrosvswariobros View Post
    What is your opinion on the people who think violent games such as Call of Duty cause violence in children?

    Personally I believe that all the stuff they say isn't true.

    A quote: "FPS are training our children to kill thousands of innocent people."
    My opinion is that no, most FPS games aren't against innocent people, but against armies

    Who else has an opinion on this?
    Children shouldn't be really playing game that clearly aren't aimed at them and 100% of the blames lies sorely with the Parent who brought for their children, there is a reason why the age rating system exist.

    Also any studies that says that violent games make people violent shows that it has a very weak link in making people violent.


    Also people have always been violent long before video games existed.


    "Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

    Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

    You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

    twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Goldeen State
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Kids shouldn't play extremely violent games if they aren't mature, and still pretend play. It seems at that point they can still be effected by violence.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The front seat of a VolkSWAGen
    Posts
    890

    Default

    Well, Prussia, I think that since it's based on WARFARE it could be kinda educating. Violent, but educating.
    But you have to admit, for a part-time Nazi

    He's freaking hot.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    360

    Default

    There is a rating when you buy a game... btw So if your not the age they say that means you should not be playing it (I have never followed the ratings but I started playing CoD at like 11 or 12 I was but I understood the difference between video games and real life.

    RAWK ON

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    a location
    Posts
    521

    Default

    It depends on the child.
    If their mature, sure they can play it.
    If not, it's best kept away from them.
    [IMG]http://oi46.*******.com/jt7yg2.jpg[/IMG]

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,631

    Default

    As far as I'm concerned, it's nothing but a meaningless excuse in a vain attempt to place the blame on someone or something else, instead of taking responsibility for one's own actions.

    And just to let you know, every game that comes out has a rating associated with it. So there is absolutely no excuse for buying an M-rated game if you don't want your kids playing violent games. Why should the rest of society pay for someone else's stupidity?
    A Winner Is You!!!

    If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

    The worst thing you can do in any business is blame the customer.
    - Willie 'Jack' Degel

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Inna House... With Cable!!!
    Posts
    3,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamRocketGrunt View Post
    Well, Prussia, I think that since it's based on WARFARE it could be kinda educating. Violent, but educating.
    Not really TRG. The only way the game could be "educating" is if the player doesn't sleep for a week, eats MREs for a week and is told what to do every moment of everyday. Oh and actually fired a weapons with recoil. while wearing 20-35 lbs of gear.

    So true!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Cajunland
    Posts
    578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malanu View Post
    Not really TRG. The only way the game could be "educating" is if the player doesn't sleep for a week, eats MREs for a week and is told what to do every moment of everyday. Oh and actually fired a weapons with recoil. while wearing 20-35 lbs of gear.
    Actually the people with the most social lives including me are big COD players. I haven't played in a while do to NHL and Serebii

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Eastern North Carolina
    Posts
    9,057

    Default

    There are strong links between aggression, sensitivity toward aggression, and reacting somewhat more violent than a kid who doesn't play video games.

    But links between actual physical violence that harms people? Very weak.

    Still should be up to the parent on whether the kid can handle it or not.
    Last edited by GhostAnime; 24th June 2012 at 6:02 PM.
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/dheavp.png[/IMG]
    Credit to Nuit

    Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    Quick, someone get the scientific community onto this one! A truly brilliant hypothesis that would have been insofar overlooked by every researcher who has contributed to this field of science. And it's only 8th grade stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero
    I roam Johto with my partner Pokemon, Rattata, who knows Hyper Fang, Sunny Day, Rock Smash and Cut. Anyone who runs with more than one Pokemon or evolves their Pokemon takes the game way too seriously.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Inna House... With Cable!!!
    Posts
    3,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mariobrosvswariobros View Post
    Actually the people with the most social lives including me are big COD players. I haven't played in a while do to NHL and Serebii
    See, I just play the swords and sorcery games and Pokemon. Though I may just start playing Skylanders with my son. It looks fun and the creatures are sorta cool looking.

    CoD n hasn't interested me cause shooting with a controller isn't anywhere near RPG enough. Now if I had a "rifle" controller, I might be interested in finding out how good a cold blooded killer I am!

    So true!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Off doing something important
    Posts
    4,930

    Default

    Malanu and mariobrosvswariobros, please keep the subject on violence and video games, not what you play or whatever.

    I'm not entirely sure about this myself. I do believe a lot of studies have shown that there are links, but they also don't take into account the effects of priming - exposure to something will affect your response to something else later. If you're exposed to violent activities, you're more likely to respond violently to something later. As for long-term affects, I'm not sure.

    However, I'm more concerned about the verbal "violence" in co-op modes. The amount of offensive, aggressive, and sometimes straight up homophobic or sexist language players can use is a little staggering, especially when you start getting into "I'm gonna rape your ***" territory. From my understanding, there isn't really anything to prevent players from screaming obscenities and threats, so it's essentially seen as okay and acceptable. Would some players then start bringing that kind of language to the outside world? Whether it's a 12-year-old not knowing better or under-your-breath name-calling, I'm inclined to think some of it can carry over.

    ~Psychic

    Pokéthon was a huge success! Check out our Facebook page for photos from the event!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The House That Never Was
    Posts
    1,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
    However, I'm more concerned about the verbal "violence" in co-op modes. The amount of offensive, aggressive, and sometimes straight up homophobic or sexist language players can use is a little staggering, especially when you start getting into "I'm gonna rape your ***" territory. From my understanding, there isn't really anything to prevent players from screaming obscenities and threats, so it's essentially seen as okay and acceptable. Would some players then start bringing that kind of language to the outside world? Whether it's a 12-year-old not knowing better or under-your-breath name-calling, I'm inclined to think some of it can carry over.

    ~Psychic
    Sadly, my own little brother is guilty of being exposed to these trash-mouthed morons. :P

    I don't believe video games contribute to physical violence, but I would like to believe that the ability to chat with other gamers has contributed to unrestricted verbal violence that plagues many games with wi-fi features. I can't see any way this is preventable in the older crowd, but when 9 year old children are swearing like sailors, it is apparent that either parents do not follow the age restrictions on video games, that store salesmen don't have consciences if they sell R-rated games to pre-teens, or that children have become so snot-nosed, bratty, and selfish that they get anything they want from parents, who either do not wish to be involved in protecting the innocence of their children or have already lost that battle long ago. Needless to say, parents are not strict enough, when they should be more protective of their children.
    "Your memories are connected, like links in a chain. Those same chains are what anchor us all together."
    -Naminé


    Pokemon X Team - French Playthrough
    *COMPLETE*
    Amphinobi | Noctali | Mentali | Farfaduvet | Darumacho | Carchakrok
    3DS FC: 0430 - 9679 - 6068
    IGN: Micah
    Friend Safari Type: Fire
    Friend Safari Pokemon: Magmar, Ninetales, Charmeleon


        Spoiler:- Credits, etc.:


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    a really nice chair
    Posts
    3,920

    Default

    I believe this is wrong. If video games affected one's mentalities, why haven't all the facebookers gone and become farmers?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Eastern North Carolina
    Posts
    9,057

    Default

    Verbal violence sounds like something inevitable to me. It's a result of our anonymity online. The Internet in general has the same exact problem. I think the best solution for that is to have some sort of mod system or point system based on how mean a person is online.
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/dheavp.png[/IMG]
    Credit to Nuit

    Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    Quick, someone get the scientific community onto this one! A truly brilliant hypothesis that would have been insofar overlooked by every researcher who has contributed to this field of science. And it's only 8th grade stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero
    I roam Johto with my partner Pokemon, Rattata, who knows Hyper Fang, Sunny Day, Rock Smash and Cut. Anyone who runs with more than one Pokemon or evolves their Pokemon takes the game way too seriously.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Unless you were upper class, up until world war I, here in America we were "hunters" of sorts taught not to sympothise with animals, and the common practice (to anything) was "Tough." This is still evident in some third world countries and (this was not included to start an argument!) Isreal. Only very recently have we started to care about things like "emotion" and respecting living things. The fact is, this is part of are instinct just as much as shopping (gathering), or bullying (preventing lesser males from getting the good females) is. So whether we play violent video games or not, that instint (to hunt for food) is going to remain intact.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Holland, 1945
    Posts
    28

    Default

    It seems like video games have been used as scapegoats for as long as they've been around. 'Oh, it wasn't a case of bad parenting on our parts, it was the influence of a game he's been playing for three days that made him torture and kill that animal!' Maybe some video games are partly to blame but it's ridiculous to claim that just playing a game can change someone's set of morals or ideals of civilised behaviour.

    Now whether or not certain video games are making us more and more desensitised to the idea of doing bad things to people... well, that's a whole 'nother ball game. I've heard the COD series and shooters similar to that are supposedly programming us as humans to make it easier to, say, shoot someone in real life and feel nothing because in our mind, we've grown to think that person is just going to respawn and there won't be any consequences.

    That's a different argument though. If you're asking whether video games are the Devil on your right shoulder, telling you to do bad things, I'm going to have to put my foot down and say no, I don't think video games are individually to blame for someone's actions.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hoenn
    Posts
    785

    Default

    Am I seriously the only fifteen year old on the internet who doesn't play M-rated games? It seems like nobody cares about the ESRB anymore. I'm sure some younger people can handle it, but we really don't need eight-year-olds on wi-fi games describing in detail what they've done to our mothers. It's stupid, and their parents should know better than to buy that kind of game for kids who are obviously too young for them.

    That is besides the point, though. Video games do not cause violence. Unstable whackjobs cause violence. If I'm the kind of person who decides that "Oh, I just used an X-box controller to shoot a digital bullet out of an imaginary gun at a person who doesn't exist. I think I'll go kill people!", then there's not that much that can keep me from going over the edge.
    My fan-fic(Credit to Gelatino95 at Crazy Dragon Graphics for the userbar) Author's profile
    And here's an awesome RPG. It has dinosaurs!And a sprite comic, because I can't draw!

    Please click my dragon(s)!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South East Abbey, Tethe'alla
    Posts
    1,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mariobrosvswariobros View Post
    What is your opinion on the people who think violent games such as Call of Duty cause violence in children?

    Personally I believe that all the stuff they say isn't true.

    A quote: "FPS are training our children to kill thousands of innocent people."
    My opinion is that no, most FPS games aren't against innocent people, but against armies

    Who else has an opinion on this?
    I feel the same way.


    "i know how to use a sword!" - tumblr
    - i've claimed zelos wilder and tales of the abyss

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Johto
    Posts
    1,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Treecko's Awesomeness View Post
    Am I seriously the only fifteen year old on the internet who doesn't play M-rated games? It seems like nobody cares about the ESRB anymore. I'm sure some younger people can handle it, but we really don't need eight-year-olds on wi-fi games describing in detail what they've done to our mothers. It's stupid, and their parents should know better than to buy that kind of game for kids who are obviously too young for them.

    That is besides the point, though. Video games do not cause violence. Unstable whackjobs cause violence. If I'm the kind of person who decides that "Oh, I just used an X-box controller to shoot a digital bullet out of an imaginary gun at a person who doesn't exist. I think I'll go kill people!", then there's not that much that can keep me from going over the edge.
    I'm 14 and don't, so we aren't far away.

    Well, Anders Breievik (whatever his name is) had an obsession with WoW. Apparently, he played it excessively, but whether this caused him to do such horrible crimes, is a mystery. I heard something about this, but idk if it's true.

    I think that parents shouldn't allow them to do it, and in the end, CoD isn't completely to blame. There are other games, but CoD does have a big community. And it isn't the best at all...
    Yveltal, the Destruction Pokémon: "When its life comes to an end, it absorbs the life energy of every living thing and turns into a cocoon once more."

        Spoiler:- Current Hunts:


  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    On a Sea-Train, to Kalos! UK
    Posts
    1,598

    Default

    A few of my friends aren't violent and they play those types of games but my little brother had just got an Xbox 360 from my uncle and it came with CoD and he's starting to act little crazy. I'm not saying that violent games make you violent, I'm just saying what I observe not my opinion.

    Ash: Now I choose you!
    Electro Ball!

    -Pikachu: PikaPika-Chu-Pi!-

  23. #23

    Default

    This is a silly debate. No, it doesn't teach children to kill people. Why? Because it's a VIDEO GAME. And kids playing it KNOW it's a video game, so therefore are not in the mindset that what they're doing is applicable to real life. I mean, I can see where people are getting confused, but no, I don't think it's bad at all. I've been playing violent video games for a long time, and I'm only 16. I've never once thought of killing someone.
    Check out my YouTube channel, if you'd like

    http://www.youtube.com/skatingandgaming

  24. #24
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Violent video games DO have an effect on kids. Just look at Columbine. The two students who committed the killings were huge players of the video game DOOM. Violent games desensitize children to violence, and alters their already-not-fully-developed brains. This is another reason why I was such an avid player of Pokemon throughout my childhood, and even to this day. It teaches you good values and morals, not about how to kill someone with a chainsaw.
    Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Unova Champion

    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Route 124
    Posts
    1,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AquaRegisteel View Post
    I'm 14 and don't, so we aren't far away.

    Well, Anders Breievik (whatever his name is) had an obsession with WoW. Apparently, he played it excessively, but whether this caused him to do such horrible crimes, is a mystery. I heard something about this, but idk if it's true.

    I think that parents shouldn't allow them to do it, and in the end, CoD isn't completely to blame. There are other games, but CoD does have a big community. And it isn't the best at all...
    What caused him to commit such atrocities was his hatred of multiculturalism, particularly with european acceptance of muslim immigrants. Whether the video games had any effect or not, I don't know. But he wrote many pages denouncing Islam and encouraging nationalism and deportation of muslims. I don't think the video games had as much to do with the massacre as did his hatred of Islam and him supposedly being diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia.

    Alpha Sapphire --> Arceus is the Alpha pokemon --> Arceus is a generation 4 pokemon --> Sinnoh confirmed!!

    (Yeah, get used to it now, because this is what you're going to have to put up with for the next 5-7 years)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •