Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The NX: Nintendo's Next Hardware

Default The NX: Nintendo's Next Hardware

I will scream from the top of my lungs.

RIP Iwata
    |Flight Rising~Quotev|

...I'm not so sure that this is so-called traditional hardware myself, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwata
    As proof that Nintendo maintains strong enthusiasm for the dedicated game system business, let me confirm that Nintendo is currently developing a dedicated game platform with a brand-new concept under the development codename “NX.” It is too early to elaborate on the details of this project, but we hope to share more information with you next year.

Also, until now, when we said, “platform,” it meant a specific video game platform. Now that we are going to release games on smart devices and make use of globally widespread PCs and smart devices for our new membership service, we would like to offer more consumers with software that is suited to their tastes. In other words, we are challenging ourselves to redefine what “Nintendo platforms” mean.
    While it very well could be a bona fide successor for the Wii U or 3DS (2016 would be appropriate for such an announcement), this image of it coexisting with Wii U and 3DS, and the fact that Iwata follows the announcement with a clarification of "platform," suggests that they might be developing it as a third pillar of sorts, at least initially.

I'm more interested in what their DeNA partnership means, particularly in relation to the NX.

If the GBA/DS/GCN in 2004 was any indication, there is no "third pillar" here - this is their quiet way of killing off the Wii U with PR speak.

Curses, Phsy-Spark, for stealing my thread creation plan!

Maybe it's a strange console/handheld hybrid? The Wii U is sort of like that, but this one could be fully portable and fully console.

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    Maybe it's a strange console/handheld hybrid? The Wii U is sort of like that, but this one could be fully portable and fully console.
    I was also thinking hybrid console with this announcement. It makes sense, the gap between handheld and console is narrowing, the Wii U already essentially has a handheld as a controller, the only thing they need to do is program a Gamepad like device to serve as either a solitary handheld or a console controller. Also they're working on a unified account system that can allow them to share the same software.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

A hybrid sounds way too costly and unnecessary.

The last thing Nintendo needs is to drive up cost of entry into their ecosystem, which is almost exactly what such a proposed device would be.

Sub-$200 handheld + (ideally) $300 AMD/ARM based console + shared OS/account system with cross-buy for VC/Eshop content + remote play with the handheld to stream your console content anywhere = sensible solution without clunky "hybrid" experimentation at a larger markup.

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    ...I'm not so sure that this is so-called traditional hardware myself, actually.

While it very well could be a bona fide successor for the Wii U or 3DS (2016 would be appropriate for such an announcement), this image of it coexisting with Wii U and 3DS, and the fact that Iwata follows the announcement with a clarification of "platform," suggests that they might be developing it as a third pillar of sorts, at least initially.

I'm more interested in what their DeNA partnership means, particularly in relation to the NX.
    I think the wording is just a way to show that they aren't completely throwing the wii u & 3ds under the bus just yet. Probably important to mention it like that so you dont anger the loyal minority who bought the wii u and junk.

I hope this doesnt use those supposed sharp screen displays and their donut shape.
    I cant see that being anything other than a disaster

Somehow, seeing it mentioned alongside the announcement of DeNA makes me have the feeling this will be able to play mobile games.
    But we have so little information I have no idea what to think.

Edit:...And I suppose there's nothing stopping them from porting those games to the 3DS either, so there goes my idea.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 17th March 2015 at 7:36 PM.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 8 Battles
    Anyone who says all pokemon are created equal cearly hasn't had much experience with Unown.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Somehow, seeing it mentioned alongside the announcement of DeNA makes me have the feeling this will be able to play mobile games.
    But we have so little information I have no idea what to think.
    well iwata's mentioned bringing mobile games to the main systems, but its probably mainly mentioned to reassure that Nintendo isnt leaving dedicated gaming space behind and they still have their wii u & 3ds.

3 pillars, more like 6 pillars!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    I was also thinking hybrid console with this announcement.
    Past invocations of iOS and Android suggest that they're moving toward more variations on their hardware, not fewer, but with a common architecture between them; I'm thinking "NX" may be that architecture, or a complex of hardware tied to that architecture, as opposed to a singular machine.

Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post
    I think the wording is just a way to show that they aren't completely throwing the wii u & 3ds under the bus just yet. Probably important to mention it like that so you dont anger the loyal minority who bought the wii u and junk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonikku za Hejjihoggu View Post
    If the GBA/DS/GCN in 2004 was any indication, there is no "third pillar" here - this is their quiet way of killing off the Wii U with PR speak.
    I don't mean to imply that it won't eventually succeed their current systems - Nintendo hasn't used the phrase "third pillar", but I think that in terms of hardware "lineage," so to speak, "NX" may be considered separately from what they've done in the past, and would be a third pillar in that sense (not the sense of "oh crap Sony has PSP how do we justify killing GBA").

This is certainly a surprise (that they'd randomly announce it now)!

I'm hopeful that NX wont release in 2016 and will instead see a release in Late 2017. Fortunately, 3DS & Wii U weren't released in the years they were initially shown (though things were better for Nintendo back then). Hopefully this is some sort of handheld-console hybrid.

I doubt they'll talk about it at E3 this year. They said they'll talk more about it in 2016, so I'm expecting a major blowout at E3 2016. Not expecting anything before then (especially this year. Wii U hasn't even gotten an original main Zelda game yet....).

Please God, just let this system have a decent name, some good marketing, be up to date with Microsoft & Sony's next offerings (which I imagine would only be released about a year or two after NX) and most importantly just let Nintendo be profitable.
    Omega Ruby Team:

3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97 | PSN ID: Ultra_Zach97
    Claims: Blastoise, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Joel from The Last of Us, Law & Order: SVU, The Dark Knight Rises & Multi-Man Smash theme

Quote Originally Posted by Torpoleon View Post
    This is certainly a surprise (that they'd randomly announce it now)!

I'm hopeful that NX wont release in 2016 and will instead see a release in Late 2017. Fortunately, 3DS & Wii U weren't released in the years they were initially shown (though things were better for Nintendo back then). Hopefully this is some sort of handheld-console hybrid.

I doubt they'll talk about it at E3 this year. They said they'll talk more about it in 2016, so I'm expecting a major blowout at E3 2016. Not expecting anything before then (especially this year. Wii U hasn't even gotten an original main Zelda game yet....).

Please God, just let this system have a decent name, some good marketing, be up to date with Microsoft & Sony's next offerings (which I imagine would only be released about a year or two after NX) and most importantly just let Nintendo be profitable.
    this will probably never happen, ever
    nintendo is all about being cheap by design

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    Past invocations of iOS and Android suggest that they're moving toward more variations on their hardware, not fewer, but with a common architecture between them; I'm thinking "NX" may be that architecture, or a complex of hardware tied to that architecture, as opposed to a singular machine.
    So you think it will be an entirely line of devices instead of just one? That's also a possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

At least now Nintendo will probably have unified accounts. Late to the party by a million years, but they've finally achieved it! And all it took them was everyone in Japan having an iPhone.

You are Slave.
    Want emancipation?

I can't believe Nintendo buckled and is going to do mobile games. This is a sad day. It's bad enough having Pokemon themed Candy Crush on the 3DS, do we really need more idiotic games like that?

Anyways, I actually came up with the idea for a console/handheld crossover years ago. I remember joking that when the Wii U came out that the were copying it. If that's not what they're doing, I really don't know what they could do to improve upon the Wii U so soon, unless they have some other innovative idea that no one's thought of before.

Join Ash and Pikachu as they travel to the Tenno Region, a region known for its advanced space program and technology. Along their way towards the Tenno League and becoming a Pokémon Master they'll encounter new Pokémon, new enemies, such as the evil Team Planetary, and, of course, a certain trio of Team Rocket members, with friends new and old.
    Check it out!

Also, for an enhanced reading experience, news, reviews, insights into Luna, Terra, and Sol Versions, and special features like a Tenno Region Pokédex listing all of my custom Pokémon, complete with pictures, visit the Pokémon Cosmic Quest Official Website.

Quote Originally Posted by Bguy7 View Post
    This is a sad day. It's bad enough having Pokemon themed Candy Crush on the 3DS, do we really need more idiotic games like that?
    Then don't play them...?

Anyways, I actually came up with the idea for a console/handheld crossover years ago. I remember joking that when the Wii U came out that the were copying it. If that's not what they're doing
    "Copying" your idea? I think we can conclude that is probably not what they're doing.

I really don't know what they could do to improve upon the Wii U so soon, unless they have some other innovative idea that no one's thought of before.
    It is fortunate, then, that they are not limited by our ideas or lack thereof.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    Then don't play them...?
    I don't plan to, I just feel like it's taking their attention away from more important products.

"Copying" your idea? I think we can conclude that is probably not what they're doing.
    I said that I joked about it. I never meant it seriously. I was trying to convey the fact that I wanted a combination system to happen.

It is fortunate, then, that they are not limited by our ideas or lack thereof.
    Yes, it is.

Join Ash and Pikachu as they travel to the Tenno Region, a region known for its advanced space program and technology. Along their way towards the Tenno League and becoming a Pokémon Master they'll encounter new Pokémon, new enemies, such as the evil Team Planetary, and, of course, a certain trio of Team Rocket members, with friends new and old.
    Check it out!

Also, for an enhanced reading experience, news, reviews, insights into Luna, Terra, and Sol Versions, and special features like a Tenno Region Pokédex listing all of my custom Pokémon, complete with pictures, visit the Pokémon Cosmic Quest Official Website.

I don't plan to, I just feel like it's taking their attention away from more important products.
    That's misinterpreting and overreacting a bit. Nothing about the announcement implied that attention would be taken away from "more important products". If anything, partnering with DeNA should tell you the very opposite. Nintendo provides the IPs and development materials and maybe a limited complement of staff, and DeNA - who already has all of the inroads and resources for mobile software you could need - does a lot of the rest. That's what makes it a partnership. It's silly to think this means they're going to take staff off of big projects like the new Zelda and retask them to work on mobile games.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

That's misinterpreting and overreacting a bit. Nothing about the announcement implied that attention would be taken away from "more important products". If anything, partnering with DeNA should tell you the very opposite. Nintendo provides the IPs and development materials and maybe a limited complement of staff, and DeNA - who already has all of the inroads and resources for mobile software you could need - does a lot of the rest. That's what makes it a partnership. It's silly to think this means they're going to take staff off of big projects like the new Zelda and retask them to work on mobile games.
    Yeah, you're right.

As I'm sure it's obvious, I'm just bias against mobile gaming. This is just my opinion, but I can't help but be offended by Nintendo diving into this stuff. Oh well, it's what the public wants.

Check it out!

Yeah, you're right.

As I'm sure it's obvious, I'm just bias against mobile gaming. This is just my opinion, but I can't help but be offended by Nintendo diving into this stuff. Oh well, it's what the public wants.
    Nah, I'm right there with you on this. Nintendo already has an issue with their main IP's being "used up" and a lack of new IP's being built(Xenoblade is the only truly successful new one that comes to mind). Even if it doesn't take a shred of development away from their main systems, further spreading out of their IP's like Mario and Zelda into forgettable mobile games is not going to help them at all. If anything, casual fans will buy the mobile game instead of a console/handheld, and get bored of it. Which leaves Nintendo in a worse place than they are now.

But, that's all assuming this plan is a cut and dry "make generic mobile games" agreement, and considering it's Nintendo, I'd like to think they have more up their sleeve for this. Needless to say, I'm not thrilled about the news, but I am intrigued.

Click HERE to see more info!

Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post
    this will probably never happen, ever
    nintendo is all about being cheap by design
    At least close to their offerings so Nintendo could hopefully get better third party support than Wii U (not like that's saying much).
    Omega Ruby Team:

3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97 | PSN ID: Ultra_Zach97
    Claims: Blastoise, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Joel from The Last of Us, Law & Order: SVU, The Dark Knight Rises & Multi-Man Smash theme

Quote Originally Posted by Bguy7
    As I'm sure it's obvious, I'm just bias against mobile gaming.
    I don't blame you. Although it's probably just tastes (the stuff I like are, obviously, stuff on Ninetendo consoles) for me, not a lot of the games in the mobile industry don't have a multiplayer or internet-needed part. But most people who own phones are people who usually just pass the time with games, so games like Cut the Rope do just that. But this is probably not the place to talk about that.

As for the announcement itself, can't really say much. I'm still like, so outdated in my tech that I can't really care about anything new 'cause there are high chances that by the time I get it, something else that's new is going to appear. So yeah, I'm mostly indifferent. But if they happen to go into the mobile market, at least they'll get a wider audience. In the Philippines, you'll rarely see a person here owning a 3DS.
    "My power is not meant for destruction. My power... My power is meant to protect the things my friend and I believe in!" - Zero, Retrospect1_Elf War (Megaman Zero Telos drama track)

Fossil Fighter Forum
    - Linking my squad at my own risk.
    Fun fact: The Philippines is the only country whose name always has an article before it (in this case, "the").

Check my bio for my status.

Quote Originally Posted by -Raiga- View Post
    Nintendo already has an issue with their main IP's being "used up" and a lack of new IP's being built(Xenoblade is the only truly successful new one that comes to mind).
    F-Zero and Metroid fans would disagree.

That said, I have a feeling that mobile games would be mostly Mario ones, which still wouldn't help the situation.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 8 Battles
    Anyone who says all pokemon are created equal cearly hasn't had much experience with Unown.

I was thinking about replacing my computer and dumb phone...

It's too little to say what I think about it. It's good that there is a plan for the future, but I can really make anything off the plan.

I will, however, share enthusiasm for what this NX is. My Revolution and Cafe could use a buddy.

3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

>Zachmac

Definitely.

But seriously, Mario in mobile would just lessen his status more. I'll admit I haven't played that many Mario games (which is a bit ironic I guess), but from what I can tell, Mario already had lots and lots and lots of games...as well as plenty of spin-offs. So it'd look like a meek attempt at going into the mobile market.
    Last edited by TheCharredDragon; 18th March 2015 at 3:17 AM.
    "My power is not meant for destruction. My power... My power is meant to protect the things my friend and I believe in!" - Zero, Retrospect1_Elf War (Megaman Zero Telos drama track)

Fossil Fighter Forum
    - Linking my squad at my own risk.
    Fun fact: The Philippines is the only country whose name always has an article before it (in this case, "the").

Check my bio for my status.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast