Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: amiibo Thread

Default amiibo Thread

Well, I had absolutely no clue whether to mention this on either the Wii U or 3DS thread, so I thought that this warranted its own thread. So discuss away!

12 amiibo figurines have been announced for pre-order this morning at GameStop. They're amiibos for Mario, Peach, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Link, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Wii Fit Trainer, the Villager, Samus, and Marth. Each amiibo costs $12.99.

I'm getting the Fox amiibo, and then definitely grab a Lucario one when it comes out...

I'd definitely like to get amiibos in the future, but definitely not until they are used in an important way in the game they'll be used for. Their usage in Smash 4 doesn't warrant a purchase for me. I'm confident that amiibo will still sell great this holiday and beyond that and that the other games that use amiibo will use it better.

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

I'll be getting the Link and Marth ones,and the Ike and Robin ones once they come out.If Dark Pit is in the game,I'll get him.I may not have a Wii U,but I'm pretty sure amiibo will work the the Smash Bros on 3DS?Otherwise,I'll just collect them.

EDIT:I might also get the Charizard and Greninja ones.Now,if only amiibo worked with Assists...
    Last edited by Shinehollow; 30th August 2014 at 7:24 PM.

"Do you dare to fight evil's might?I'll be the last one standing in a flash of light."
    I have claimed Inigo,Fire Emblem for the GBA,Open Your Heart from Sonic Aventure and Electabuzz!

Quote Originally Posted by Shinehollow View Post
    I may not have a Wii U,but I'm pretty sure amiibo will work the the Smash Bros on 3DS?
    It works for 3DS games too, though you will have to buy an adapter to use amiibos, unless you opt to buy the New 3DS.

I will definitely get some, providing they are of good quality, and for Ł15 they should be! I will probably purchase Link, and then Lucina, and then Palutena or Samus (haven't decided yet o_O). I won't get anywhere near all of them as it would be waaay too costly for me!
    Last edited by tomatohater; 30th August 2014 at 10:40 PM.
    Too much water guys!

I'll wait before I settle in Smash bros. and find my mains before buying any Amiibos. I don't want to buy a Lucario amiibo only to find he's nerfed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

I don't care what if they don't work on the old 3DS I'm getting them anyways. I'll probably get Pit, Shulk, Robin and Dark Pit (If he's in the game, which he probably is).

And every night ...I lay awake ...and I find no conclusion.
    'Cause every night ...it just stays the same.
    And I dream ...of an absolution.

I have claimed Ivan from Golden Sun, Bayleef, and Kingdom Hearts-Chain of Memories for the GBA.

Will Skylanders and Disney Infinity be able to survive Nintendo's upcoming dominance when the Amiibo comes out?
    "What's The Last Guardian? Does he mean The Last of Us? Oh, Noctis! He's the last crystal guardian."

Quote Originally Posted by SazandoraIsAwesome View Post
    Will Skylanders and Disney Infinity be able to survive Nintendo's upcoming dominance when the Amiibo comes out?
    I can only respond you with this.

Maybe.

While it would be nice to have them all, that is too much $$$ on the side. I would most likely want the Yoshi and Diddy Kong first. Well, Yoshi first, then Diddy Kong second, when it comes out. Maybe a Pokémon, as well, but not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by vipsoccermaster View Post
    While it would be nice to have them all, that is too much $$$ on the side. I would most likely want the Yoshi and Diddy Kong first. Well, Yoshi first, then Diddy Kong second, when it comes out. Maybe a Pokémon, as well, but not sure.
    Keep in mind though that amiibo will work across many games across both wii u and 3ds, not just smash bros. smash is simply the first game to use them which is why amiibo is getting a lot of attention. We don't exactly what Nintendo has planned for these things so unless u intend to buy these solely for collection purposes the price shouldn't be a big problem since one figure could possibly work on a dozen or more games.
    pokemon white friend code
    0647 5096 9579
    Name: Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Emperor View Post
    Keep in mind though that amiibo will work across many games across both wii u and 3ds, not just smash bros. smash is simply the first game to use them which is why amiibo is getting a lot of attention. We don't exactly what Nintendo has planned for these things so unless u intend to buy these solely for collection purposes the price shouldn't be a big problem since one figure could possibly work on a dozen or more games.
    Maybe their planning a Disney Infinity/ Skylanders type thing. They do seem popular...

And every night ...I lay awake ...and I find no conclusion.
    'Cause every night ...it just stays the same.
    And I dream ...of an absolution.

I have claimed Ivan from Golden Sun, Bayleef, and Kingdom Hearts-Chain of Memories for the GBA.

I will probably get those that connect between more than one game that I own, and get my favorite as well.

So maybe Mario and Greninja. Something like that.

Hoenn has disappointed.

P.S. I get tired of complaints from great games.
    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

I think I'm gonna wait on buying some when they first come out. I want to get a couple that I'll use on more then one game verses only using them on Smash.
    At some point MK8 will be able to use amiibo's, so both Link and Villager can also be use on at least two other games. Can't wait to see what other games will use them.
    "I see now that the Circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."
    -Mewtwo
    Mega Snorlax make it happen GAME FREAK!!

3DS FC: 3308-4646-2043
    NNID: Zyon17

I'll probably get the Kirby one because it's adorable and I always use Kirby a lot in Smash (although I kind of forgot what they actually do tbh). I might pick up Greninja too once it's released down the line.

The amiibos can certainly be seen as an attempt by Nintendo to cash in on the same success Skylanders and Disney Infinity have found. To be honest, however, I really think they have a chance to outsell those two eventually. Skylanders and Disney Infinity might have gotten a headstart, but the amiibos have two somewhat sizable advantages over both of them.

1. Familiarity and attachment. (Mostly over Skylanders) -- Amiibos are all Nintendo characters, meaning that gamers will be very likely to recognize them. I'm not entirely sure on this, but I believe Spyro is pretty much the only character in Skylanders that existed before the game's inception. As for Disney Infinity, Disney characters are generally those from movies, and games based on movies have a general trend of really sucking, meaning those characters are not likely to have appeared in other games, although I suppose enough people will recognize them from their movies nonetheless. Admittedly, Disney also definitely found an edge with the purchase of Marvel, and their comic book characters are likely to attract quite an audience.

2. Compatibility across several games and platforms. -- Unlike Skylanders and DI, the amiibos were announced to be planned to work with several different games, meaning they'll be worth more in the long run, as well as having more potential. What will Skylander and DI figures be worth after their games run their course? All they can do is release sequels of the same game. Compatibility with the 3DS also means the amiibos are reaching to more than just the home console audience.

Of course, if we can get a larger set of characters than just the current 12 soon, that would definitely help. Personally waiting for Lucario, Robin, and Greninja, but if none of them are announced for a while, I might settle for pre-ordering Pikachu...

I hope that, with Smash Bros. Wii U coming fast, we get some special offers for pre-ordering. Maybe one like, pre-order the game and chose from one of the Amiibo's to have with it free (Like Mario, Link, Pikachu and Samus for example). That would definitely persuade me, as it is quite a good deal, especially when they are like Ł13 individually.
    Too much water guys!

I'm disappointed that Pit isn't in the first set, since the first wave of Amiibo are suppose to be released around the same time as Smash Bros for Wii U, I won't get to try Amiibo features soon after release. Amiibo I plan on buying are Pit, Dark Pit, and Ludwig, if any Amiibo end up on Club Nintendo, I'll do my best to get them with my big supply on Club Nintendo codes I save up.
    3DS FC: 2062-9321-2774

Quote Originally Posted by Airo View Post
    The amiibos can certainly be seen as an attempt by Nintendo to cash in on the same success Skylanders and Disney Infinity have found. To be honest, however, I really think they have a chance to outsell those two eventually. Skylanders and Disney Infinity might have gotten a headstart, but the amiibos have two somewhat sizable advantages over both of them.
    I was being rhetorical when I asked if Nintendo was going to dominate more than Skylanders and Disney Infinity.

1. Familiarity and attachment. (Mostly over Skylanders) -- Amiibos are all Nintendo characters, meaning that gamers will be very likely to recognize them. I'm not entirely sure on this, but I believe Spyro is pretty much the only character in Skylanders that existed before the game's inception. As for Disney Infinity, Disney characters are generally those from movies, and games based on movies have a general trend of really sucking, meaning those characters are not likely to have appeared in other games, although I suppose enough people will recognize them from their movies nonetheless. Admittedly, Disney also definitely found an edge with the purchase of Marvel, and their comic book characters are likely to attract quite an audience.
    You're overestimating the value of Nintendo characters nowadays. It's not the core gamers that's being appealed here, it's the kids. The kids who are mostly playing iOS games than Nintendo games. And only Mario, Link, and Pokémon have that mainstream appeal. Marth, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager (despite New Leaf selling 6M), Samus, etc are basically unknown.

2. Compatibility across several games and platforms. -- Unlike Skylanders and DI, the amiibos were announced to be planned to work with several different games, meaning they'll be worth more in the long run, as well as having more potential. What will Skylander and DI figures be worth after their games run their course? All they can do is release sequels of the same game. Compatibility with the 3DS also means the amiibos are reaching to more than just the home console audience.
    Newer toys are incompatible on the older games, but the older toys are compatible with the newer games. Also, the characters are cross platform (not cross game). Meaning they will work on whatever console you have the game on. Having the games be on PS3/4, Xbox 360/One, iOS/Android, and 3DS also helps greatly increase sales, while Amiibo are only on the Wii U and 3DS.
    "What's The Last Guardian? Does he mean The Last of Us? Oh, Noctis! He's the last crystal guardian."

Quote Originally Posted by XD Mewtwo View Post
    I'm disappointed that Pit isn't in the first set, since the first wave of Amiibo are suppose to be released around the same time as Smash Bros for Wii U, I won't get to try Amiibo features soon after release. Amiibo I plan on buying are Pit, Dark Pit, and Ludwig, if any Amiibo end up on Club Nintendo, I'll do my best to get them with my big supply on Club Nintendo codes I save up.
    im thinking every character in smash will get an amiibo figure (exept sonic megaman and pacman due to being third party and miis since there is no definitive mii), though i dunno how they decided which ones would be in the first wave; mario and pikachu make sense due to their popularity but how did they decide to put wii fit trainer in the first batch? but im sure the rest of the cast will get amiibos at some point. and i could see nintendo put them on club nintendo for 800-1000 coins apiece.
    pokemon white friend code
    0647 5096 9579
    Name: Kevin

I'm most certainly getting Pikachu. He's been my main for SSB since the first game.

In saying that, seeing as how this is an amiibo discussion on a Pokémon forum, I hope the future Pokémon games incorporate them. Not as anything neccessary but like an item, a battle or, in the case of Smash's Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario and Greninja, the Smash version as an Event 'mon.
    Friend Code: 4597-0393-3118
    Pokémon in My Safari:
    PM me first before adding!

I'm still on the fence about it, leaning more towards not getting them. The biggest thing I'm interested in is what they do in game, and the sole example we have of that is a pretty bad one. They pretty much play the game for you in Smash Bros, that's not really a good use for them. So I want to see what they do in other games and if they're more useful in those games. There's also the cost, $12 for one of these things is way too much for anyone but collectors.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

If I am to buy some of those, I would probably get Zelda, Palutena, Lucina as well Mario, Luigi, Greninja and Zero Suit Samus.

I don't really care much about what they 're doing in-game, I'll only buy them for ''collection'' purposes.

I'm definitely not going to try to get them all, but I'll probably end up getting a few like Link, Zelda, Samus, Robin, Lucina, and Shulk.

Like Hero of Truth, I'm pretty much just going to buy them for collection purposes.

Made by Sworn Metalhead at Dćdric Design

Definitely going to collect my favorites! I'll be getting- Greninja, Pit, Kirby, Yoshi, Lucario, Robin, Ike, Shulk, Villager, and possibly a few others depending on the remaining characters we have. (There are some leak characters I'll be getting for sure.) They'll be more of collectibles to me rather than add ons for games.
    Proud owner of the Master League~

Userbar and badge made by broomstig.
    Claimed Reuniclus
    Ask.fm/DeviantArt

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast