Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Super Mario Odyssey

Default Super Mario Odyssey

I went to the midnight release with my brother. I only got to play a little, getting 16 Moons in the first world before sleeping, I have work and all. I thought a thread would have already been made, but we NEED a place to talk about the awesomeness that is this game! =D

I wish my Gamestop did an early release for this game. I am picking up my SMO Switch Bundle this morning at 10am.
    I have been researching this game since its announcement, and I am really excited to pick it up today.
    I have read / watched many reviews, and from what I can tell, this game should be great. It appears that there is plenty of postgame searching to do, which is something about which I am quite excited.

I recall seeing a Super Mario thread a few months ago, but I am not sure where it went. I am glad there is a place to discuss this game though.
    Last edited by oarfish; 27th October 2017 at 3:09 PM.
    Just obtained a New 3DS: New Friend Code: 2423-5573-9673
    I have claimed Malamar and Mario Kart 8

National Pokedex complete - Gen V /all Gen VI / SM / USUM
    Shiny Count: 250+
    Shiny Clauncher Magnet

I won't spoil it like someon at Gamestop did, but I thought there was only like 150 Moons, lol. Needless to say, that is not that case. Can't wait to get off work.

Got it yesterday.

It's f****** AMAZING. Took pretty much the best out of all 3D Mario games. Only negative thing would be that you have to play the kingdom in lines and because of that the lack of an overworld. But the played kingdom's were all open, wide ranging and "real" looking which I absolutely loved im Sunshine and do so now in Odyssey. All the things up to the secrets, the cap system (controlling animals, throwing etc.) to the amazing soundtrack. Could dethrone Sunshine to be the best 3D Mario for me but I need to play it more and that's what I am going to do now.

In short: Amazing game and all the 10/10's worthy.
    "I have two rules: First, I am never wrong. Second, if I am wrong...back to the first rule", L - Death Note

BoruSumi fan

Got the game last night and I've been playing the heck out of it! The worlds are just so fun to explore, as for the outfits I haven't bought any yet and having to much fun capture and controlling things.

You know, honestly, every time a Mario game is released, it is heralded as the second coming of Ghandi or something. I have played every single Mario game up to this point and have been mortally disappointed every single time. Can I honestly believe this one is going to be different? I mean, in all fairness, this DOES look more fun than most Mario games. I just can't help but be sceptical. Part of me likes the idea of using the hat to control creatures (like FINALLY being able to actually transform into stuff) yet part of me dislikes it for some reason. I have mixed feelings about that aspect. I think a big part of me just wants to fight Madame Broode because big, fat and ugly things are fun to beat up, and yet... I'm half sick of seeing villains like her. Another thing I have mixed feelings about. Honestly, though, the Broodels themselves remind me of why I dislike Hat in Time so much. While there are some cute supporting cast members (I like Glydon especially), I always hated how much more likeably designed the villains are compared to the goodguys in this franchise, and that STILL feels true in this game (Like the franchise is ever going to have a goodguy character cooler than Bowser himself). But ultimately, part of me is expecting the same clunky, slippery gameplay from every other game that everyone heralds as "Factually flawless controls," methodic gameplay that's slow and tedius, and actual bossfights that lack any sort of creativity or challenge.

I'll probably buy it and play up to Madame Broode before making my decision.
    Last edited by MugoUrth; 28th October 2017 at 12:34 PM.

I must say, I am 110% against this action, I mean, quoting Wikipedia, '' A world of free knowledge will be lost ''. I say screw SOPA and PIPA, and all who agrees with me, sig this! We all detest the bill and will fight for the freedom of the Internet!

This is Bidoof. Many people loathe it with their lives. If you are of the few people who love this little beaver, put this in your sig. Started by Warrior Scolipede

The snapshot feature is absurdly fun to use.

There's so many things you can do with Mario riding a scooter.

~ Big adventures start with big bites ~

Wii U: AuraGuyChris
    Youtube Channel - Splatoon 2 - Super Mario Odyssey - Xenoblade Chronicles 2

The game is truly remarkable. I never had this much fun in a Mario game since 3D Land.

Biggest complaint I have is the music

Most of the time it's either silence or low ambiance and that makes for dull levels. The few tunes I've heard so far, near the towns or critical path(s) have just been so-so. Still very subdued. I guess they want it to be an ~experience~ but half the fun of mario is the jaunty music. And the ambiant music doesn't hold a candle to the ambiance say, the galaxy games, would have.

Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post

Most of the time it's either silence or low ambiance and that makes for dull levels. The few tunes I've heard so far, near the towns or critical path(s) have just been so-so. Still very subdued. I guess they want it to be an ~experience~ but half the fun of mario is the jaunty music. And the ambiant music doesn't hold a candle to the ambiance say, the galaxy games, would have.
    I agree completely. I was looking forward to something along the lines of Galaxy, but this is a bit of a let-down.

Having a lot of fun with the game so far, though. The more open-ended approach is interesting, it is a shame some moves require motion though.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    I agree completely. I was looking forward to something along the lines of Galaxy, but this is a bit of a let-down.

Having a lot of fun with the game so far, though. The more open-ended approach is interesting, it is a shame some moves require motion though.
    Yeah that's weird. I had to stop playing with the controller shell because things like the high speed roll (or literally any of the high speed or super jump options) were just annoying.
    Also annoying: the rumble that I have to keep turning on because things inexplicably keep requiring it. EVerything in this game sets off the rumble so I'm not thrilled about this. HD Rumble is nowhere near as novel as the switch thinks it is.

The ope-ended approach is a little interesting but so many moons are just...there. Like some are literally just sitting there out in the open for no real reason, with no special anything or exploration to get to? It's nice that levels are full of moons but I feel nothing when I Find most of the ones not behind a challenge or a hat door or w/e

All the bosses are neat, though. Very full of personality, surprising variety. A steep step up from any other 3D Mario title!

Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post

That does sound bad. Is it like Breath of the Wild in that way? That was one of my bigger disappointments with the game, the lack of any real background music.

Join Ash and Pikachu as they travel to the Tenno Region, a region known for its advanced space program. Along their way towards the Tenno League and becoming a Pokémon Master they'll encounter new Pokémon, new enemies, such as the evil Team Planetary, and, of course, a certain trio of Team Rocket members, along with friends new and old. It's an out-of-this-world adventure!
    Check it out!

For news, episode reviews, info on my games, Luna, Terra, and Sol Versions, the basis of Cosmic Quest, Special Episodes, features like a Tenno Region Pokédex listing my custom Pokémon with pictures, and more visit the Pokémon Cosmic Quest Official Website.

Quote Originally Posted by Bguy7 View Post
    That does sound bad. Is it like Breath of the Wild in that way? That was one of my bigger disappointments with the game, the lack of any real background music.
    To my knowledge not exactly just due to level structure. You're typically not too far from an area with actual music in it, and the "main" part of the level typically has a full unique-ish track but the milage will vary on if you'll like it.

It's nearly 7 AM and I can't stop playing this game. Send help.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    It's nearly 7 AM and I can't stop playing this game. Send help.
    That good eh? Might have to make the trip to town to buy it.

3DS Friend Code: 4098-3939-2078 | Woody (Sun) | Moon (Moon)

Switch Friend Code: SW-6300-2045-4545

The snapshot system is amazingly fun. I'm going to have to buy an SD card because I already screenshotted 600 Pic's from Zelda already.

I'm only at New Donk City and have not looked up spoilers to what else there is. That being said, I LOVE LOVE LOVE that Mario's world has a globe to it now. That all these games in the past 30 years have taken place on one secluded island separated from the other continents, and how alien the other Kingdoms are to it. Some of the boss design's are crazy looking and kinda dark in all the best ways. The only issue that keeps nagging at me is that the beings on Mario's "Earth" look's more other worldly and alien then Mario's Galaxy.

I'm literally so addicted to this game, I can't even believe it. Pretty sure I'm going to finish it tonight and I have over 190 moons already, I just can't stop!
    ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

My friend is currently playing the game, and I feel like a recovering addict right now.

(My friend needs to get a Switch sometime).

As far as the game goes, I really love it. I think I like it more as a Mario game than BoTW as a Zelda game.

Quote Originally Posted by Google translated Bulbasaur entry
    A man like a cuckoo in the stomach is stubborn with the body Some things are going on.

Nintendo really outdid themselves with this one. The worlds are large and colorful, with so much to do and so much to find. The Capture system actually works brilliantly, allowing for different movesets without making the controls feel cumbersome. Perhaps my favorite change is the deviation from the 3D Mario Formula by making it so you're not ejected from the area when you obtain your objective, so rather than running the same level multiple times, you just pick up your Moon and keep going.

That said, there are two minigames that are absolutely tedious to get their Moons. I'm looking at you, Jump Rope Challenge and Beach Volleyball. Score of 100 for each is painful. They may very well end up being the last Moons I get because I ended up just skipping them and moving on.
    SMod, One of the writers for the PotW, and someone you'll be hearing from often if you fail to read the rules

Take a moment, remind yourself
    To take a moment and find yourself

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    Nintendo really outdid themselves with this one. The worlds are large and colorful, with so much to do and so much to find. The Capture system actually works brilliantly, allowing for different movesets without making the controls feel cumbersome. Perhaps my favorite change is the deviation from the 3D Mario Formula by making it so you're not ejected from the area when you obtain your objective, so rather than running the same level multiple times, you just pick up your Moon and keep going.

That said, there are two minigames that are absolutely tedious to get their Moons. I'm looking at you, Jump Rope Challenge and Beach Volleyball. Score of 100 for each is painful. They may very well end up being the last Moons I get because I ended up just skipping them and moving on.
    I got a moon at 40 for the jump rope, is there a second one?

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Yeah score 100.

I got to 31 in my first try getting the first moon. And I'm usually awful at timing things. There's no way I'm doing the second challenge.

Jump Rope is 30 and 100, Beach Volleyball is 15 and 100. I actually did Beach Volleyball's 100 this morning when I realized the trick to it (at max speed, just stand in the middle and throw Cappy where the shadow is going to be), but not quite sure how I'll manage Jump Rope Hell since it's much more of a reflex check.
    SMod, One of the writers for the PotW, and someone you'll be hearing from often if you fail to read the rules

Take a moment, remind yourself
    To take a moment and find yourself

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    Jump Rope is 30 and 100, Beach Volleyball is 15 and 100. I actually did Beach Volleyball's 100 this morning when I realized the trick to it (at max speed, just stand in the middle and throw Cappy where the shadow is going to be), but not quite sure how I'll manage Jump Rope Hell since it's much more of a reflex check.
    Well that's awful
    so much for doing 100%

I wish they paired up the Captain's Hat and the Boxer Shorts. It's stupid, but it would align the costumes. In addition, you can have the solo costume (which I won't spoil here), at the end of the assortment to where it wouldn't interrupt the pattern.

Anyway, did an amiibo experiment. Here are the results.

Any amiibo of a Nintendo character (i.e. Greninja) gets named.
    Any third party amiibo (i.e. Mega Man) gets called a "lovely amiibo". (Reminds me of Pokemon found in "a lovely place".)

I guess this could be guessed as such, but I wanted to access what exactly the game did to recognize them.

Quote Originally Posted by Google translated Bulbasaur entry
    A man like a cuckoo in the stomach is stubborn with the body Some things are going on.

Already completed the main objectives of the first five kingdoms, and I have over 100 moons!! Next up, I'm gonna deal with Bowser in the Cloud Kingdom.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast