Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ace Attorney/逆転裁判

Default Ace Attorney/逆転裁判

With Spirit of Justice coming up in 2 weeks I thought I'd try to spark a bit of AA discussion here.

I discovered this series in early spring and have been working my way through it since (I'm now playing the fan translation of AAI2, I've played every game that was localised). The first game was so charming that it got me hooked easily.

So, some discussion. What're your hopes and expectations for Spirit of Justice? If you're making your way through the series, where are you and what do you think of it? What're your favourite/least favourite games, characters and cases?

Is that really coming out in two weeks?? Wow, I've been out of the loop. xD

I'm excited for the next game and hope the price isn't ridiculous here... Nintendo likes to charge Canadians prices that are even further above the terrible CAD/USD exchange rate than they would be to start for download only games where we have no retailer to price them appropriately. >_> looking at you rhythm heaven megamix. But I think dual destinies was priced fairly so fingers crossed.

Glad Apollo and Athena are returning. I don't know a whole lot about the game other than Apollo is supposed to have a larger role (yay). I'm pretty indifferent to Maya by this point so meh that's she's returning. I'd rather a new sidekick - but oh well. ^^

My favourite case in the series was 3-5. Hoping the new game can match or surpass that.

~ ~
    [719/720]
    lend me hoopa pls?
    FC: 1048 - 8845 - 0258

I'm glad to see Athena coming back. Dual Destinies was my first Ace Attorney game and I liked the Mood Matrix gameplay more than the Magatama or Apollo's bracelet. Plus I think she's just adorable. I figured out how to dress as her in XY:

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9203-5247
    Friend Safari: Teddiursa, Audino, Smeargle

^omg, that's so cute!

I did really like the mood matrix - I was skeptical of it at first, but the gameplay felt very smooth. Apollo's bracelet was way easier in DD than AJ:AA. Like, I remember needing to google some of the tells in the latter game, but DD they were pretty obvious.

I hope the detective is cool in the new game. The only one I've liked so far was Ema. xD mostly because of her idgaf attitude.

I just realized something researching this game a little more - one of the things I didn't like about dual destinies is that, despite the title, Apollo and Phoenix only worked together on one tiny courtroom sequence. They had very little character interaction, especially when it had to do with cases and not Apollo being angsty. The new game has them in different countries...... >___>... Apollo and Athena bounced off each other really well mind you, but still disappointing to me.

~ ~
    [719/720]
    lend me hoopa pls?

I'm still not sure how I feel about Yamazaki taking over the series. Revisiting AA5 after the Investigations games and AA4, his style is definitely moving further and further toward bad anime tropes and overblown final villains connecting everything, at least when compared to Takumi's works.

I'll give AA6 a go, though I can't say that the whole dancing princess dreck did a lot to sell me on it.

Started playing the series several months ago, starting from the very beginning. I loved the trilogy, specifically AA1 and T&T. Not so much JFA although the final case is one of my favorites. Apollo Justice was a good game (Turnabout Trump!) but it feels like lost potential with Dual Destinies. Trying to get through DD but it feels like a huge step backwards compared to previous titles. Played both Investigation games and AAI2 has probably the best overarching story, each case felt very well-written and connected nicely in the end. Trying to get through PLvsPW....

Not sure how I feel about Spirit of Justice.
    Xbox Gamertag: iDeadlyPanda|3DS FC: 0602-6674-5548 |NNID: ThePandaMan
    PSN ID: The3DSCube

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    I'm still not sure how I feel about Yamazaki taking over the series. Revisiting AA5 after the Investigations games and AA4, his style is definitely moving further and further toward bad anime tropes and overblown final villains connecting everything, at least when compared to Takumi's works.
    Actually, I think Yamazaki was the director of the Investigations games. They feel a lot more like the PW:AA trilogy than AA5 does though. I completely agree with your disdain over the direction that AA is going in, AA5 is so much less charming/original/funny/down-to-earth than Takumi's games are.

Maya's one of my favourites so I'm really excited for her return, though I've heard that not much is done with her character. Still, having her and Nick together again will hopefully bring back some of the energy that AA5 lacked.

SoJ is Ł25 in the UK I think, which is...the same amount that I paid for the original trilogy. I'm definitely going to buy it though. It seems that they've addressed some of AA5's (many) issues and I really liked the whole spiritual side of the series (I don't believe in it in real life haha I just think it works well in AA) which is being brought back through Maya and Khura'in.

Is Spirit of Justice an eShop release?

I really hate getting games from the eShop. Kinda like having the boxes.

Anyways, hyped for the game. Looking forward to see Emma come back, as well as Maya.
    I kinda do hope Trucy has a bigger role this time around.

Former Lieutenant of Squad 7.
    Thank you for the memories, Bleach Club

Claimed Blaziken - Pokemon Diamond - Ike

Quote Originally Posted by Spacial View Post
    What're your hopes and expectations for Spirit of Justice?
    Very low. Dual Destinies was lazy and bland already, and the incoming spirit trials don't sound very promising.

Investigations 2 was the best game by a wide margin because it actually had a decently cohesive narrative and bothered to develop characters beyond one-note personalities.
    Last edited by Aegiscalibur; 1st September 2016 at 4:37 PM.

Eh, I liked Dual Destinies. It probably had my favourite cast of witnesses, I really liked Athena and Blackquill, the Mood Matrix was a nice way to approach testimony and the music as always was good.

I can understand some problems with the plot - I do feel the murderers were disappointing as characters in part due to the lack of focus of motives in the trials, the mysteries while fun to solve bit by bit often led to overcomplex coverups, and I did find the final case to fall flat right at the very end (there's a point when you know this person is the final villain but just have to keep proving it anyway). But I still enjoyed playing it.

Anyways, Spirit of Justice is out, and I'll give you my thoughts as of now in a spoiler just in case. I've done the first two cases anyway, so I still have a decent chunk to go.

Spoiler:- Spirit of Justice - Case 1 and 2:
    Last edited by Chibi_Muffin; 9th September 2016 at 3:23 PM.

Who cares about cookies? Come to the Light Side, we have CUPCAKES!

Animal Crossing: New Leaf Dream Code: 7100-3458-5872

I am playing other games rn and am typically stingy so will wait for one of the frequent Capcom sales for the game (in Australia it is $40).
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegiscalibur View Post
    Investigations 2 was the best game by a wide margin because it actually had a decently cohesive narrative and bothered to develop characters beyond one-note personalities.
    Investigations 2 was great, wish it came out in English officially. Definitely worth playing. It and AA3 are my favourite of the series.

Appreciate the spoiler tags, Chibi_Muffin. I do have a question about the game though - are there still a whole bunch of typos like in every other AA game?

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

Avatar: minty-fivestar on DA, edited background/cropping. Fic banner: cieux.

Pokémon news, opinions, creative works and more. Now live!

A Guide to Pokémon GO!

Quote Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
    Appreciate the spoiler tags, Chibi_Muffin. I do have a question about the game though - are there still a whole bunch of typos like in every other AA game?
    You're welcome!

Anyways, mid-case 3 right now, and I've only spotted a couple of typos so far. Granted, I don't think I caught loads in Dual Destinies, which seemed to be infamous for them, so I might not be the most perceptive on this matter, but it certainly seems that there are fewer compared to that game at any rate.
    Last edited by Chibi_Muffin; 9th September 2016 at 3:24 PM.

Spoiler:- Case 2 Spoilers:

Seems like every mainline AA game ends up slumping hard on the third case. Can't say I'm expecting this one to break that pattern, but oh well.
    Last edited by Excitable Boy; 9th September 2016 at 7:47 PM.

^ Actually, you know what, I kind of agree.

Spoiler:- Spirit of Justice - Case 2:

Anyway, case 3 is done.

Spoiler:- Spirit of Justice - Case 3:

Edit: Oops, accidentally came across a Case 5 spoiler whilst looking at a Case 3 discussion. Thankfully, it's nothing too bad, I don't think - I just know

Spoiler:- Thing I spoiled myself on (no specifics):

Which is better than Dual Destinies, at any rate (where I accidentally spoiled myself on something that happens at the end of the investigation that really would be a spoiler). Hopefully this shouldn't affect stuff too much.
    Last edited by Chibi_Muffin; 9th September 2016 at 11:03 PM.

Spoiler:- Case 3:

Yeah, the flashbacks are a pain, I must admit. Don't mind the Seances that much, maybe because things should perhaps be trickier as they're going on. There haven't been that many yet, anyways, so I'm not sure how well I can judge on that.

Anyway, case 4 is done! Only one left...!

Spoiler:- Spirit of Justice - Case 4:
    Last edited by Chibi_Muffin; 11th September 2016 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Typos

Spoiler:- Case 4:

Spoiler:- SoJ Case 2 and general SoJ stuff:

Halfway through Case 5 right now (partway into the second investigation). Just thought I'd collect my thoughts, because dang if things haven't gotten mighty interesting.

Spoiler:- Spirit of Justice - Case 5:

I'll update as the case continues, things have just gotten really exciting right now and I thought I should get everything out before it got overshadowed and stuff.
    Last edited by Chibi_Muffin; 12th September 2016 at 12:52 AM.

I did decide to go ahead and purchase the game, although I have very little free time on my hands so I'm not sure why I did that lmao. It'll probably take me months to finish (you guys are so fast o__O), but here's my thoughts on the first case:

Spoiler:- Case 1:

I've only just started Case 2 but so far:

Spoiler:- Case 2:

~ ~
    [719/720]
    lend me hoopa pls?

Uh, this is for a Capcom franchise, not a Nintendo franchise. So why is it here instead of the Other Video Game Discussion sub-forum?

Finished the game. I'm finally free.

Well, until Thursday rolls around, anyway.

Spoiler:- Case 5:

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Power View Post
    Uh, this is for a Capcom franchise, not a Nintendo franchise. So why is it here instead of the Other Video Game Discussion sub-forum?
    Because it exists primarily on Nintendo hardware, and is considered a de facto Nintendo franchise for all intensive porpoises.

Same reason Layton, Yo-Kai Watch, Bayonetta /+ 2, and Monster Hunter all got threads here.

Not going to say too much in this post just but I just have to say that so far they're killing it with the music in this one. Loving just about every track so far. I will say though that

Spoiler:- Case 1:
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Bagon // Platinum Nuzlocke

Game is done.

Spoiler:- Spirit of Justice - All Cases:

Overall, I wouldn't say it's a bad Ace Attorney game, but it's far from being my favourite as well. The fact that most cases had slow pacing and high stakes really diminishes its value to me personally - I like to dip into cases for fun, and only case 4 really lets me do that. Also not a fan of where the Khura'inese plot ends up going. I wouldn't not recommend this game, but I feel like it's far from the series' best.

I'll be sticking around for the DLC, though - I wonder what that will be like?
    Last edited by Chibi_Muffin; 13th September 2016 at 9:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chibi_Muffin View Post
    Game is done.

Spoiler:- Spirit of Justice - All Cases:

Overall, I wouldn't say it's a bad Ace Attorney game, but it's far from being my favourite as well. The fact that most cases had slow pacing and high stakes really diminishes its value to me personally - I like to dip into cases for fun, and only case 4 really lets me do that. I wouldn't not recommend this game, but I feel like it's far from the series' best.

I'll be sticking around for the DLC, though - I wonder what that will be like?
    OMG I can't believe you finished that in a few days. xD Props.

How would you rank it among all games, now that you've played them all? I've never played investigations or PW vs PL but for me it would go:

1. Trials and Tribulations
    2. Justice for All
    3. Dual Destinies
    4. PW: Ace Attorney
    5. AJ: Ace Attorney

I didn't even dislike AJ:AA like so much of the fan base seems to (I nearly skipped it due to that and am glad I didn't), I just didn't think it was as strong as the other entries. The third case video sequences were horrifically long, they ruined Phoenix to the point where it wasn't Phoenix anymore in the slightest, and the last case was disappointingly short. Other than that I liked it - the first case in AJ:AA imo is by far the best first case in the series.

~ ~
    [719/720]
    lend me hoopa pls?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast