Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #78

Default Community POTW #78

Time for the next one. Here, we round off the trio of the Muskedeers with the Pokémon Virizion.

Virizion is the special defender of the muskedeers so is capable of a lot

For reference, before we get the tutors up on the site, these are the tutor moves it gets in B2W2: Block, Bounce, Giga Drain, Helping Hand, Seed Bomb, Sleep Talk, Snore, Superpower, Synthesis, Worry Seed, Zen Headbutt

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/640.shtml

Go nuts

First!

Virizion Wireless
    Virizion @ Leftovers
    Trait: Ability
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spd
    Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Giga Drain
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power Ice/Hidden Power Psychic
    - Calm Mind
    You could also run a bulky Calm Mind set instead, with 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef and a Bold nature.
    Last edited by grantholomew; 24th June 2012 at 2:08 PM.

Friend Code: 2492-4126-1302
    Friend Safari: Krabby, Floatzel, Frogadier

Sapphire Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team:
    Dead:

Soulsilver Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team: **
    Dead:

Platinum Nuzlocke
    Team:
    Dead:

Quote Originally Posted by grantholomew View Post

Virizion Wireless
    Virizion @ Leftovers
    Trait: Ability
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spd
    Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Giga Drain
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power Ice/Hidden Power Psychic
    - Calm Mind
    Thats my pun but I knew someone would use it, anyway Virizion can be a great check to rain teams.

Virizion's typing is shared only by Breloom, who functions completely differently. Virizion has decent stats all around apart from defence. Speed is at 108 which seems funny but allows you to outspeed base 100's, of whom there are many of. Finally, he's got great SpDef allowing you to tank special hits, which works well with his resistances. He's able to switch into Dark type moves (which he already resists) and get a free attack boost which is great, as it places you into sweeping zone. But he has some crippling weaknesses, notably a 4x weakness to flying.

Virizion stole Meloetta's shoes
    PHYSICAL SET
    Virizion @ LifeOrb
    Justified
    252 Att/ 252 Spd/ 4 Hp
    -Swords Dance
    -Sacred Sword
    -Leaf Blade
    -X-Scissor

Swords Dance gets your Attack skyhigh. Sacred Sword is all round reliable and as a bonus is not affected by stat changes so you can switch into something boosting its defence whilst you swords dance away and then retaliate. Leaf Blade is great and if you get the crit it can be a KO. X-Scissor gives Virizion a way to hit Psychics and possibly darks if you manage to (works well with Virizions ability.
    Last edited by HRRlion; 24th June 2012 at 6:28 PM.

Soon I'll have you, after years and years XD

SCREENS

Item: Light Clay
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 Spe / 252 HP / 4 Def
    Ability: Justified
    Moveset:
    - Giga Drain
    - Taunt
    - Reflect
    - Light Screen

Set up Screens, preferably on a special attacker. That's it, with a lot of weaknesses you won't survive much longer. TAUNT is there for stopping other screeners and co, and GIGA DRAIN helps you do damage, plus some healing which is always nice.
    I like a good fight, and I NEVER turn off the power when I'm about to lose a battle. Because of others doing this, and me not turning off, my record does not look how it should. It's shame that the pokemon world allows these cowards to escape a loss.

If more people don't do this, then pokemon battling will become more fair and fun.

If anyone wants to battle, I'm up for it. My Immence Salamences need their training.

Virizion gets Block, Bounce, Giga Drain, Helping Hand, Seed Bomb, Sleep Talk, Snore, Superpower, Synthesis, Worry Seed and Zen Headbutt from the Move Tutors in Black 2 and White 2.

Not sure if we can post sets with those just yet seeing how BW2 just came out but I just wanted to point that out. I can see Zen Headbutt used on the Swords Dance set for coverage against other Fighting types (Especially Conkeldurr which gets all 3 Elemental Punches now.) Plus Sleep Talk could make a Resttalk set seeing how bulky it is.

EDIT: Zen Headbutt is also an option for taking out Toxicroak seeing how it resists all the other moves it usually uses on that set and OHKOs with Ice Punch. You might want to consider it then.
    Last edited by Aura Flare Riolu; 24th June 2012 at 2:43 PM.

BAN TALONFLAME TO UBERS!

Oh yeah. One of the more balanced Musketeers. While Cobalion has higher physical defense, it is weak to the most common physical attacks in the game: Close Combat, Earthquake, Mach Punch, etc. Virizion on the other hand, is like the opposite. It has base 129 special defense as its highest stat, allowing it to take neutral special hits with ease. It is by no means a slouch offensively either. Base 90 attacking stats with Swords Dance, Calm Mind, and Work Up to boost them are not to be overlooked. It also shares its great base 108 base speed with the other Musketeers. However, it has trouble taking physical hits, so common priority moves, namely Mach Punch, will easily pick it off. Its also weak to Ice Shard. Its still quite a versatile Pokemon though.
    Ability
    Justified: Good, but not as useful on Virizion as its other abusers since the most common Dark-type moves are physical. For example, Virizion takes a somewhat hefty 22-26% from standard mixed Tyranitar's Crunch. It is still useful for coming in on Hydreigon's Dark Pulse.

Swords Dance
    Item: Life Orb
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Nature: Jolly / Adamant
    - Leaf Blade
    - Sacred Sword / Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - Swords Dance

Easily the best offensive set Virizion can run. Leaf Blade and CC are main STAB, but Sacred Sword can be used over CC to retain Virizion's great special bulk. Stone Edge is there for added coverage against things like Gyarados, Dragonite, Salamence, and Volcarona. It also can be used to hit Gengar, who resists or is immune to both STABs, and Virizion usually survives a hit from Gengar, who is faster than it.

Choice Band
    Item: Choice Band
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Nature: Jolly
    - Leaf Blade
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - X-Scissor

This is quite different from what you would probably expect. Virizion, can also use a hit and run tactic quite well. Close Combat is generally preferred as you usually won't be it for long. X-Scissor is there to hit Reuniclus who might give you trouble.

Counters
    Toxicroak resists all of Virizion's common moves and can OHKO Virizion with Ice Punch after a Swords Dance provided it is holding a Life Orb. Virizion is also paired sometimes with Politoed, so Toxicroak will heal itself with Dry Skin. Choice Band Scizor can take a +2 Sacred Sword and potentially OHKO's with Bug Bite (Bullet Punch doesn't OHKO). Just be weary, as if Virizion runs CC instead, it will OHKO. The Lati@s, both outspeed Virizion and can prey on its lower defense with Psyshock, which will bring down the Musketeer in one hit. Tornadus can abuse Virizion's rain support and KO with a 100% accurate Hurricane.
    Last edited by MatchMaster; 25th June 2012 at 12:06 AM.
    DW Pokemon I can offer:

Well, this'll be a bit of a train wreck on countering, but a wrecker on offense...

Virizion has great Speed, decent offense and HP, great Sp.Def, middling Defense, and a quad weakness to Flying. Resisting Stealth Rock and Dark Type Moves (for Justified Ability) make Viriz' a solid choice, but beware - Moves like Aerial Ace, Acrobatics, Pluck, Bounce, Sky Attack, Wing Attack, Brave Bird, and Drill Peck will be devastating, if not outright deadly.

Low enough Defense for a 1KO from a solid Physical Attacker will make Viriz' less likely to wreak havoc...but, oh, what havoc it can wreak. Close Combat, Double Kick, Focus Blast, and Sacred Sword are standard Fighting-STAB-fare for the Muskedeer Pokemon, Giga Drain, Energy Ball, Leaf Blade, Grass Knot, and Magical Leaf are nice for Grass STAB, and access to Hidden Power, Aerial Ace, Stone Edge, and X-Scissor round out the repertoire quite nicely. You may not have the Attack nor priority of Breloom, but you do have better Speed, HP, and Sp.Atk at your disposal.

More than likely, your biggest issue is with the Flying Type. Stone Edge will handle Pokemon of that Type nicely, but you must also beware of non-Flying Types with Flying-Type Moves. A Flying Gem-boosted Acrobatics or Power Herb-charged Sky Attack will be down-and-outright lethal - and faster Pokemon like Ambi-Technician can make your life miserable. Not to mention, you are also Weak to Fire, Ice, Poison, and Psychic in addition to Flying, making the following Move-options other things to beware of:
    -Fire Type - Fire Punch, Blaze Kick, Flare Blitz, Flame Wheel, Fire Fang, Flame Charge
    -Ice Type - Avalanche, Ice Punch, Icicle Spear, Ice Shard, Ice Fang, Icicle Crash
    -Psychic Type - Psyshock, Psycho Cut, Zen Headbutt
    -Poison Type - Poison Jab, Gunk Shot, Cross Poison

Unburden-lee, Ambi-Technician, Bulky Poison Types, STAB Psyshock from Alakazam, Starmie, and Espeon, and a few others can stop Viriz' dead in its tracks due to its Dual-Type and Barely-Above-Average Defense. It has issues that can be handled, but, oftentimes, not by itself.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Say hi to Verizon (Virizion's nickname)
    Note: Duranteater gets the credit for the "Verizon Wireless" pun.

Ability:
    Justified: Attack is raised by one stage when the Pokémon is hit by a Dark-type move. Useful (not as useful compared to Terrakion, since Verizon can use special sets) considering the resistance to Dark-type moves (say hi to Whimsicott's Beat Up once again) and if you're using a physical set.
    Note: Is this another "Déjŕ vu" feeling?

Pros:
    High Sp. Def and Speed stats (129 and 108 respectively)
    Decent offensive stats (90 each)
    Six resistances (including Dark, Ground and Rock types)
    One of the very few Pokémon which resists the (in)famous Quake Edge combo (the other Pokémon are Breloom (shares Verizon's typing), Flygon, Torterra and Levitate Bronzong)
    Resistant to Stealth Rock
    Rain helps Verizon against Fire-type moves
    Sun helps Verizon with Solarbeam

Cons:
    Five weaknesses (mainly a 4x weakness to Flying-type moves)
    Defensively frail (72 Defence)
    Sun exposes Verizon's Fire-type weakness

Now for the movesets:
    A true Musketeer always wields swords
    Verizon@Leftovers
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    Leaf Blade
    Secret Sword
    X-Scissor
    Swords Dance
    A straightforwand set with lots of swords.
    Swords Dance increases Verizon's Attack, Leaf Blade and Secret Sword are your STAB swords of choice, Secret Sword is for pun purposes (and ignores opponents' Acid Armours, Barriers, Bulk Ups, Curses, Iron Defences, blah, blah, blah...) and Leaf Blade cuts your opponents (and has a high chance of scoring critical hits, which is nice)
    X-Scissor is the last sword move, which slices Bugs, Darks and Psychics.
    About items, Leftovers extends Verizon's durability.

Choose your sword wisely!
    Verizon@Choice Band/Choice Scarf
    EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    Leaf Blade
    Close Combat/Secret Sword
    Stone Edge
    Retaliate/X-Scissor
    Leaf Blade is your Grass-type STAB (has a high critical hit rate) while the Fight STAB depends of what you are facing, Close Combat is pure power but defensively reckless while Sacred Sword is useful against Pokémon with Defence boosts. Stone Edge covers Flying types while Retaliate (with Choice Scarf help) helps Verizon scoring revenge kills and X-Scissor covers Bugs, Darks and mainly Psychics.
    The Choice items are for either adding a spicy power boost (Choice Band) or outspeeding opponents (Choice Scarf)

The Greenpeace Musketeer
    Verizon@Leftovers/Life Orb
    Nature: Calm/Modest/Timid
    EVs: 252 Sp Atk/252 Sp Def/4 HP
    Grass Knot/Solarbeam/Energy Ball/Giga Drain/Magical Leaf
    Focus Blast
    Hidden Power (Rock)
    Calm Mind
    Your Grass STAB depends of your kind of battle style:
    Grass Knot deals more damage against big, heavy opponents (like, let's see, Wailord)
    Solarbeam if you have some Sun support (hello Drought Ninetales)
    Energy Ball is more reliable than the two previous moves (also reduces opponents' Sp Def) and fits in the punset (pun really intended)
    Giga Drain is your healing move (and can be used with Life Orb)
    Magical Leaf never misses but is too weak (Seriously, who's going to use Magical Leaf?)
    Focus Blast is your Fight STAB, strong, but has low accuracy and PP.
    Hidden Power's Rock covers your Fire, Flying and Ice weaknesses
    Calm Mind boosts Verizon's already high Special stats
    In the Item department, Leftovers restores HP over time, extending Verizon's durability, while Life Orb boosts Verizon's power at the cost of some HP after using attack moves (Giga Drain is recommended in that case)

Verizon's puns:
    In the name of ???, I will PUNish you (Version 3.0)
    You can use Arceus, Verizon, Virizion, swordsmanship, the Pokémon Musketeer Squad, the Sword of Justice, friendship, Greenpeace and so on in this pun
    Greenpeace's Sword of Justice
    Verizon's Sword of Justice
    One for all, all for one (works well in Triple Battles whose partners are Cobalion and Terrakion)
    Verizon Wireless (already mentioned)
    A true Musketeer always wields swords! (Set 1)
    Choose your sword wisely! (Set 2)
    The Greenpeace Musketeer (Set 3)
    Last edited by Star Champion AJ; 24th June 2012 at 5:55 PM.
    I claim Flygon, the super awesome Dragon

Virizion is pretty cool.

Bulky Calm Mind
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 defense and special defense, 4 hp/special attack
    @: Leftovers

Calm Mind
    Giga Drain
    Focus Blast
    Substitute/Hidden Power Rock/Dark/Fire

Having Giga Drain is amazing. Having Giga Drain with Calm Mind is even more amazing. Focus Blast is secondary STAB. The last slot on this set is best for Substitute so that Virizian doesn't become status fodder, but a Hidden Power can be used as well. Rock smacks fire and flying, dark hits ghosts, and fire hits opposing grass and Scizor.

Offensive Calm Mind
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 speed and special attack, 4 hp
    @: Leftovers/Life Orb

Calm Mind
    Energy Ball/Giga Drain
    Focus Blast
    Hidden Power Rock/Dark/Fire

A more offensive approach. Energy Ball is an option over Giga Drain for the added power (though it isn't a big difference), but Giga Drain's healing is always welcome.

Dual Screens
    I am not good at building Dual Screens for nature and EVs and stuff. Only the moveset. Sorry!
    @: Light Clay/Leftovers

Reflect
    Light Screen
    Giga Drain
    Substitute/Safeguard

Dual Screens, status blocking, and healing make Virizion an excellent Dual Screener. Substitute is a great move to block stuff in general, but Safeguard can protect your teammates from status as well as yourself.
    I claim Buizel.

Virizion is in the middling muskedeer. It doesn't dominate OU like Terakion, yet it hasn't fallen to UU like Cobalion. 129 Spdef allows it to sponge special attacks with ease, 90 in both offences is adequate when you have access to Swords Dance, Calm Mind and Work Up. 108 Spd is excellent as well. Its Grass/Fighting typing is fairly average both offensively and defensively and that does hold it back.

Counters
    Latias immediately springs to mind. it resists both STABs, and thanks to it's massive Spdef, it only really fears X-scissor or boosted Stone Edge. In return Psyshock preys on Virizion's weaker Defence. Latios, Celebi and Victini also do well thanks to their typing and Psyshock and other fast Psychics like Azelf and Espeon revenge it well.
    Speaking of Victini, sun sweepers generally do wonders against Virizion. Venusaur in particular can beat it with Sludge Bomb or Roast with Hidden Power and Volcarona deserves a special mention too. Scarfed [insert Fire type] only fears Stone Edge.
    In rain, Toxicroak owns it. It resists everything the physical set can throw at it, and can heal of HP Ice with Dry Skin and Poison Jabs/Ice Punches to death. Both Tornadus formes are decent checks in Rain with their ridiculous Hurricanes.
    Skarmory laughs at Swords Dance sets and does pretty well against CM or Work Up sets too. It can setup Spikes, phaze it out with Whirlwind or just OHKO with Brave Bird.

Thanks to its average typing and offences, Virizion isn't nearly as big a threat as Terakion. Despite this, it's still fast, bulky and holds a niche as a good rain check. Don't give it the chance to setup, and you'll fare just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

Well Here's A Set I Just Made Up

Variouzion (Various+Virizion)
    EVs: 252 Attack 252 Special Defence 4 Speed
    Item: Focus Sash
    Leaf Blade
    Close Combat/X-Scissor
    Reflect/Light Screen/Zen Headbutt
    Reflect/Light screen/Zen Headbutt

The Awesome Thing About that Virizion Is That It Can Do Various Things. Leaf Blade For Stab and It's Higher critical hit Rate, Close Combat For A Strong Fighting Stab Or X-Scissor To get Back at Lati@s.

Partners
    Politoed. drizzle, And ice Beam To Back you Up. But Toxixroak May Use This As An Advantage, So Giving Politoed Earthquake/Hidden Power (Psy/Grond) Will Give Toxixroak A Disadvantage. I n Triple Battles, Sppedy Psychics With Shaow ball, like A Lati, Alakazam or Espeon, To Counter Lati@s or toxicroak, or even Though You'll Probably Never See It, Shedinja.

Counters
    As Said Above, Dry Skin Sucker Punch Toxicroak Will be A Threat To Virizion and If Politoed Drizzled, Or A Psychci defends It, Dry Skin/Sucker Punch Woul Give Your fie A Hard Time. Lati@s Is Awesome Aswell, As They Only Fear X-Scissor.

My First POTW Post
    Sorry For My Bad Spelling, I Was Typing This On My 3DS Without a Stylus(Basicly Using My nails.)
    Here's my my first fic, Exciting League Battles Hope you like it!

Chapter XII (7) is up! Go have a little sneak peek!

Next Time: Kyurem, Lord of Thunder and Fire!

vs.

Second Fic: Still in Construction (<THAT'S NOT THE TITLE!)

Next Time: Prologue

Lopunnies, Lopunnies it must be Lopunnies! Or maybe Mijamaru....

Quote Originally Posted by HRRlion View Post
    Reserved for later.
    Stop doing that it is annoying...

anyway I use a virizion on my rain team
    Virizion didn't get ANYTHING new in BW2 it stays the same

I like the physical sweeper more than the special one it have more powerful and realiable moves while the special is more defensive, the physical is more destructive it can easily set up on special attackers not called tornadus while it have problems with physical attackers
    I don't like the special one for one reason- focus blast

unlike terrakionn virizion have some checks like the newly tornadus-T skarmory and Co.

Tornadus-T have only to fear stone edge but it can come in outspeed and kill virizion with *4 STAB

maybe mixed virizion:

@ life orb/choice scarf
    justified
    naive/mild
    152 attack, 100 special attack, 252 speed
    -Close combat
    -Giga Drain
    -Hp ice
    -Stone edge/X-sccissors
    The set I use is already posted so... I won't post sets
    Last edited by Ilan; 24th June 2012 at 4:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Virizion is a pretty great pokemon. It has really nice typing and it's stats are incredibly usable. Its ability is decent, if you predict correctly, but its move-pool is phenomenal. Overall, I love using this guy.

Abilities
    Justified: Whenever you get hit by a Dark type move, your Attack rises by one or two stages. Good if you can predict an Attack and switch in.

I'm a Pretty Special Muskadeer
    -Calm Mind
    -Giga Drain
    -Focus Blast
    -Hidden Power Ice
    Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry
    EVs and Nature: Modest (+Sp. Atk, -Atk)
    252 Hp/128 Sp. Atk/128 Sp. Def or 252 Hp/252 Sp. Atk
    This is probably the most common Virizion set out there. The EVs are for bulk. Calm Mind raises Sp. Atk and Sp. Def, which is really helpful; Giga Drain is amazing, acting as STAB and healing potential Life Orb Damage; Focus Blast is also STAB; Hidden Power Ice is for the ever-present Dragon threat. Life Orb is for more power, while Lum Berry is to prevent Virizion from becoming crippled.

Why, You Ask? Why, I'm Special Because I can work a Physical Set, Too!
    -Swords Dance
    -Leaf Blade
    -Stone Edge
    -Close Combat
    Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry
    EVs and Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -Sp. Atk)
    252 Atk/252 Speed
    So this is Virizion's less common physical set. Swords Dance to boost his Attack to astonishing levels. Leaf Blade is STAB, as is Close Combat, while Stone Edge is coverage against those pesky Dragons and Flying types. The items are for the same reasons mentioned above.

Can You Hear Me Yet? No? Alright, I'm Working on it.
    -Work Up
    -Giga Drain
    -Close Combat
    -Hidden Power Ice
    EVs and Nature: Hasty (+Spd, -Def)
    120 Atk/136 Sp. Atk/252 Speed
    This is a mixed set for Virizion. Work Up to increase both offensive stats, Giga Drain to heal Life Orb (which is necessary for power) recoil, Close Combat for powerful STAB that's more reliable than Focus Blast, and Hidden Power Ice is for, you guessed it, Dragons.

Countering Virizion
    Virizion, sadly, isn't too hard to counter. Physical Fire Attacks from Darmanitan and Dragonite hit it hard, and Staraptor destroys it. Any Flying Attack, really, will destroy Virizion. It can't take too many physical hits either.

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

Virizion is the second most used member of the muskedeer Pokemon. It boasts the same stats as Cobalion except for its defenses, which are swapped. So Virizion packs a below-average base 72 Defense stat but an excellent base 129 Sp. Defense stat. Verizion's typing is also quite unique. The Grass and Fighting combo is shared only by Breloom, and Virizion plays very differently from Breloom, so neither is outclassed. This typing grants it some very useful resistances, including Ground, Grass, Water, Rock, Electric, and Dark. On the downside, a 4x Flying weakness plus weaknesses to Psychic, Fire and Ice attacks are unfavorable. Still, Virizion's typing and stats make it an excellent Pokemon to use on or against weather teams, especially rain. Don't let that low Defense and a small movepool fool you; while Virizion may not strike as much fear as its sibling Terrakion, it's still a threat to watch for.

Recommended tier: OU

Like the other muskedeers, Virizion has Justified as its only ability. When hit with a Dark attack, its Attack rises. While this is useless on special Virizion, physical variants really appreciate it.

Close Combat and Sacred Sword are your choices for a physical Fighting move, while you only have Focus Blast to turn to for a special one. Giga Drain is very useful on Virizion and really helps its staying power. You can also use Grass Knot or Energy Ball, but they don't provide recovery. Use Leaf Blade instead if you prefer physical. Stone Edge provides good coverage; X-Scissor is okay as filler. Hidden Power Ice is the only way a special Virizion will be hitting Flying types, and is also its main way of defeating Gliscor. Virizion is the only muskedeer that can set up duel screens, and it can do so fairly easily thanks to its speed, bulk, and access to semi-reliable recovery. Virizion can also make great use of Swords Dance, Calm Mind, and Work Up.

Double and Triple options: Basically, it can do the same job as Cobalion and Terrakion.

Countering Virizion: Hit it hard with supereffective physical attacks. Flying attacks are best, but they are uncommon. Skarmory and Gliscor can defend well against physical variants, but Gliscor must beware of Hidden Power Ice. The special variants can be stopped by Chansey and Blissey; the pink blobs won't like a Calm Mind boosted Focus Blast, but they can wear Virizion down with Toxic and Seismic Toss, since Virizion's Giga Drains won't be stealing much of their HP. Gallade does quite well against special variants, and his Psycho Cut will hit hard.
    Last edited by ClefairyRox; 24th June 2012 at 5:50 PM.

Counter All The Things!:
    -Stone Edge
    -X Scissor
    -Close Combat/Sacred Sword
    -Leaf Blade
    Ability: Justifed
    Nature: Adamant
    EV's: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd

This set is for Virizion to be a physical sweeper. With a Base 90 Attack, it isn't bad, but it isn't a Haxorus or a Tyranitar. Stone Edge for Ice and Flying Types. X-Scissor for pesky Psychic types and for other Dark and Grass (*Shiftrycoughchoke*) types. Close Combat is great for a physical and it is a filler. Sacred Sword isn't affected by Pokemon who try to boost their defenses and wall your team. Leaf Blade, just like Stone Edge, has a high critical rate, and counters many types. Virizion, the musketeer who can be a special or physical sweeper.

Counters:

Latias and Latios resists all of Virizion's STAB moves. Flying types such as Gliscor can switch in to X-Scissor or other Bug moves Virizion can use. Foretress walls it and Virizion can't do much without a Partner, as Foretress can resist a ton of moves Virizion can pull. Pison types like Muk and Weezing can absolutely ruin Virizion. Weezing can Flamethrower and Will-O-Wisp Virizion, not to mention Gunk Shot or Sludge Bomb. Muk's common Minimize/Slude Bomb set is what keeps Virizion up at night. Froslass, Beartic, and other Ice types can take advantage of Virizion's Ice weakness. Especially Beartic can use Icicle Crash to OHKO due to the musketeer's Base 72 Defense stat.
    Last edited by XxOshwhatxX; 24th June 2012 at 6:32 PM.
    If you want me to do a Black or White Challenge, just tell me. I get bored.

Other Moves and Potential Counters
    Aside from Poison and Psychic Types, Stone Edge covers most Pokemon with STAB on Virizion's Weaknesses, and X-Scissor covers any Psychic Types that aren't faster with access to Psyshock (Alakazam or Espeon, for examples). Poison Types wall both of Viriz's STAB Types, but must beware of Stone Edge and Hidden Power (Ground or Psychic) if they have lower defenses and/or HP. Despite the durability, Gengar is a solid choice with a Speed advantage and a ton of Sp.Atk to hammer into Viriz's more-than-ample Sp.Def). Nidoking-and-queen and Toxicroak resist Stone Edge, X-Scissor, and Viriz's STAB Types (even though the Nido' duo is neutral to Grass), but the Hidden Power Types I mentioned will hurt a bit.

WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

And this week we have Virizion (maybe we'll get Keldeo next week at the rate this is going). Virizion has its own unique niche in the OU metagame just because of how versatile it is. It can do many things, making it the most versatile of the musketeers.

To name a few movesets (with the inclusion of some new move tutor attacks):

The SD sweeper
    Jolly/Hasty nature
    EV spread: 252 Attk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Moves: Swords Dance
    Close Combat/Sacred Sword/Superpower
    Leaf Blade
    Zen Headbutt/EQ/HP Ice/X-Scissor

Like all the other musketeers, Virizion can do an SD set. Like the others, it's the same concept: set up SD and sweep. Leaf Blade is better than Seed Bomb due to the higher base power and high critical hit ratio. The fighting move depends on the preference of the trainer. Zen Headbutt is for opposing fighting types and X-Scissor is for psychics. Either one of these is preferred if using Jolly. Otherwise, HP Ice is for dragons.

The CM sweeper
    Timid nature
    EV spread: 252 Sp.Attk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Moves: Calm Mind
    Giga Drain/Solarbeam/Energy Ball
    Focus Blast
    HP Ice

Virizion has high special defense and can boost it even further with the use of Calm Mind. Same as the SD sweeper, you set up and then attack. Giga Drain is for recovery and works relatively well with Life Orb. Solarbeam is an option if you can guarantee sun support, though. If you can't depend on weather or don't need recovery, then Energy Ball is a perfect option. Unfortunately, the best fighting special attack it gets is Focus Blast. When it hits, it leaves opposing steel types either fainted or on the verge of fainting after a few boosts. HP Ice is for dragons.

The Work Up set
    Hasty nature
    EV spread: 176 Attk, 82 Sp. Attk, 252 Speed (or whatever else you like, but 252 Speed is a must)
    Item: Life Orb/Expert Belt
    Moves: Work Up
    Sacred Sword/Focus Blast/ Close Combat
    HP Ice
    Giga Drain/ Leaf Blade
    Zen Headbutt/X-Scissor

There are so many options with this set. It's not the best idea to do a Work Up set, but it does have its uses. It looks like a combination of the two sets above because that's what it is; there are many moves to choose from. HP Ice is essential for dragons, though.

Dual Screens
    Jolly/Timid nature
    EV Spread: 252 HP, 252 Speed, 4 Attk/Sp. Attk
    Item: Light Clay
    Moves: Reflect
    Light Screen
    Synthesis/Giga Drain/Leaf Blade
    Sacred Sword/Close Combat/Focus Blast

If you asked my opinion, this set is outclassed by Uxie, Mesprit, and others like them, but Virizion can also pull off dual screens. The screens are there to support the team. Synthesis is for recovery if you know you'll have sun support, but Giga Drain is more reliable for recovery. Leaf Blade is an offensive option if using Jolly. Sacred Sword is preferred over Close Combat if you're doing Jolly just because Virizion will not be delivering strong hits. Because this is a dual screener, it needs to hold on to its defenses. Focus Blast is if you're using Timid.

I'll leave it to someone else to suggest partners for Virizion.

As for counters to Virizion, they can be summed up in two words: physical attackers. Any physical attacker, you name it: Scizor, Terrakion, Infernape, Conkeldurr, offensive variants of Gliscor, Weavile, Breloom, Toxicroak, Scarf Darmanitan, Scarf Salamence, and Scarf Landorus. They all make Virizion drop dead. Psychics with Psyshock also make quick work of Virizion. Another thing worth mentioning is Virizion's 4X flying weakness. Any STAB Flying attack will leave Virizion fainted; I've seen a Virizion get OHKO'd at full HP from Tornadus' Hurricane.

Even with Reflect support, Virizion cannot take physical hits at all. Unfortunately, as one can clearly see above, OU has plenty of Pokemon that can target Virizion's physical defense and KO it easily (although some that are counters that are listed will have to watch out for some of Virizion's attacks).

Overall, it's easy to defeat, but don't underestimate it. It can and will leave a nice dent in your team if given a chance.
    Last edited by overlordmewtwo; 24th June 2012 at 7:19 PM.
    I will be less active as time goes on; I have many things to do to get into college and will be focusing on that, so if you don't hear from me for a while, just be patient. I will respond, but it may take some time.

Black FC: 1764-6597-3816

Spoiler:- claims:

Oh wait virizion got synthesis from move tutors which is quiet good it can make a wall set on the sun but it is too sun reliant and you should have a strategy to win weather wars

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

We do know Toxicroak needs to watch out for Zen Headbutt, anyway Tornadus really bring Virizion down with STAB Huricanne or Flying gem boosted Acrobatics.
    Another pun: Very-easy-on battle
    Last edited by Dragalge; 24th June 2012 at 7:47 PM.

Sunny-side up
    Synthysis
    Solar beam
    Focus blast
    Reflect/light screen
    Item: light clay
    Impish/calm
    Evs 252 hp 252 def(if light screen) or 252 sp def (if reflect), 4 speed.
    Maybe you could also do 252 speed and 4 hp.
    Sun is great here. Ninetales dw does well. Synthisis is your recovery move. Solar beam is crazy in sun, as it has no charge up turn. Focus blast for coverage. Reflect to stop physical sweepers, light screen to wall most special users.

Deer me, stalled again.
    Toxic
    Protect/bounce/substitute
    Protect/bounce/substitute
    Focus blast
    Item leftovers
    Nature: impish,calm
    Evs 252 hp/speed 128 def, 128 spdef

Toxic staller virizon. Ok toxic for start, focus blast to prevent steels walling you. Protect stalls, so does substitute. Bounce stalls and gives damage. This is only where you should use it. Speed/hp evs are for either bulk or trying to outspeed with some bulk.

This pokemon has some potential. It's high special defense can help it survive ice and fire moves.

"I want clear skies! >: ("
    EVs: 252 Spd, 252 Att, and 4 Sp.Def
    Item: Sitrus Berry or Muscle Band
    Moves:
    Stone Edge
    Leaf Blade
    Sacred Sword
    Quick Attack/Swords Dance

The near-perfect counter to weather Teams. Leaf Blade whacks water types, stone edge whacks fire types, and sacred sword takes care of hailers and sandstormers. Be sure to put up a reflect.
    Be on a lookout for Toxicroak, Arbok, and Gengar by having a psychic type by your side like Alakazam.

My favorites happen to be mid-evolved poison types.

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    We do know Toxicroak needs to watch out for Zen Headbutt, anyway Tornadus really bring Virizion down with STAB Huricanne or Flying gem boosted Acrobatics.
    Another pun: Very-easy-on battle
    Agreed, but that's only if we can get a true confirmation on Viriz' actually learning Zen Headbutt via Tutor. If so, it'll be a toss-up for two Moveslots between these most likely three - X-Scissor, Zen Headbutt, and Stone Edge - if you choose to go for Moves of both STAB Types. However, unless you're worried about Stone Edge's Accuracy, it'll most likely be one slot between X-Scissor and Zen Headbutt. If ZH is not available, you still have partners more-than-capable of countering your opponent's Virizion-counter.

I'm hoping it does get ZH, though, because I love having a chance of a random Flinch on top of the Move's Type coverage and Viriz's sweet Speed. No amount of skill and preparation can stop a lucky blow, but those shouldn't be relied on (unless you're a chaotician or gambler). The raw power isn't too shabby either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    Agreed, but that's only if we can get a true confirmation on Viriz' actually learning Zen Headbutt via Tutor. If so, it'll be a toss-up for two Moveslots between these most likely three - X-Scissor, Zen Headbutt, and Stone Edge - if you choose to go for Moves of both STAB Types. However, unless you're worried about Stone Edge's Accuracy, it'll most likely be one slot between X-Scissor and Zen Headbutt. If ZH is not available, you still have partners more-than-capable of countering your opponent's Virizion-counter.

I'm hoping it does get ZH, though, because I love having a chance of a random Flinch on top of the Move's Type coverage and Viriz's sweet Speed. No amount of skill and preparation can stop a lucky blow, but those shouldn't be relied on (unless you're a chaotician or gambler). The raw power isn't too shabby either.
    http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=h2We3uTy

This shows confirmation of its new moves

Back on topic, Virizion faces stiff competion from Breloom as the Swords dance power is outclassed by Breloom, but on the special side is where Virizion shine, sponging special attacks from Calm Mind boosts and recovers with Giga Drain.

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=h2We3uTy

This shows confirmation of its new moves

Back on topic, Virizion faces stiff competion from Breloom as the Swords dance power is outclassed by Breloom, but on the special side is where Virizion shine, sponging special attacks from Calm Mind boosts and recovers with Giga Drain.
    Alrighty, then...consider me excited...

Breloom outclasses Viriz' on Attack anyway and has priority with Mach Punch, but not Sp.Atk. That and healing HP while Poisoned sets it apart from Virizion. Much like how different Scizor and Escavalier, Cobalion and Lucario, Steelix and Excadrill, or Mandibuzz and Honchkrow are - same Types, but different ways to handle and use.

Virizion is a lot like Cobalion offensively with its ability to go Physical, Special, or Mixed, but is definitely different on the defensive end of things with less durability from one quad-Weakness (instead of more durability with two quad-Resistances like Cobal' has). Another example of similar mold, different strategies, like the Eevee-lutions.

Viriz' has lots of ways to cover its own weaknesses from STAB users, but must sacrifice one STAB Move's slot to cover almost all of them (unless they outright-counter you). Not a bad thing, though, but it can be hard to determine who you'll likely face when reviewing your options - almost all of which are pretty awesome...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast