Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Anime character archetypes (when done right)

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    Wait, what? Maybe I missed something but how is Freeza a good example of that?
    Well, if you've seen Dragon Ball Z Kai's English dub or just the Japanese version of Dragon Ball Z, you'd find that does fit the bill (in a way).
    Last edited by matt0044; 18th August 2012 at 8:42 PM.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

Anti-heroes. Can't get enough of them! XD -looks at Alucard-

I also like Kenpachi Zaraki, but I'm not sure what category he falls into. D:

I have claimed Alucard (Hellsing), Sebastian (Kuroshitsuji), and Laguna Loire (Final Fantasy VIII).
    Hellsing, Street Fighter, The Elder Scrolls, Dangan Ronpa, Bleach, Homestuck, Black Butler, and Puella Magi Madoka Magica fan.
    Sig made by Izagar.
    3DS FC: 3738 0398 8876 Mikan
    Friend Safari: Ground (Wooper, Camerupt, and Palpitoad)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_SGG View Post
    Actually I'm back b/c I plugged in my amp and playing one note when my grandpa came in and told me to stfu

So now I'm just sitting here stroking my guitar while naked

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Well, if you've seen Dragon Ball Z Kai's English dub or just the Japanese version of Dragon Ball Z, you'd find that does fit the bill (in a way).
    I haven't. How does he justify himself?

Well, that certainly hurt my feelings. No. No, you aren't excused.
    They weren't calling you a dick, just the villain. No need to be offended.

I haven't. How does he justify himself?
    In DBZ Kai's dub, FUNi accurate adapts the character from the Japanese version where instead of being "a dick" who makes horrible jokes, he's actually a very threatening villain with a faux-politeness coupled with his sadistic nature. He tends to view most problems and situations in an intellectual manner, as opposed to a manner of life or death, and his vocabulary and dialect is very refined like a rich person of an upperclass status or a king since he's considered the ruler of the universe.

In the dub of DBZ prior to Kai, he was written as a threatening villain but his character was largely lost in translation in favor of a bad guy who makes bad jokes (that "backscratcher" still irks me to this day). He justifies himself in how he believe he should rule over these insects.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

^Frieza was a villian plain and simple. He didn't care if he destroyed one or thousands of planets just for the highest bidder. He wanted to become the supreme ruler of everything and his intention were pure as in pure evil. He was also a coward and a rage quitter. He was only threatening as he had legions of planets under his command and his for god-like power. He actions weren't justifiable by any means and he certainly wasn't misunderstood but that just how I see his characters.

3DS XL Friend Code: 2036-7872-1965
    .: DA | Tumblr | MAL :.

In DBZ Kai's dub, FUNi accurate adapts the character from the Japanese version where instead of being "a dick" who makes horrible jokes, he's actually a very threatening villain with a faux-politeness coupled with his sadistic nature. He tends to view most problems and situations in an intellectual manner, as opposed to a manner of life or death, and his vocabulary and dialect is very refined like a rich person of an upperclass status or a king since he's considered the ruler of the universe.

In the dub of DBZ prior to Kai, he was written as a threatening villain but his character was largely lost in translation in favor of a bad guy who makes bad jokes (that "backscratcher" still irks me to this day). He justifies himself in how he believe he should rule over these insects.
    That's not what the character type is though, it's some like Light who justifies himself by thinking he is making the world a better place, Frieza just wipes out entire races because he can.
    My Anime List

Spoiler:- My Claims:

He justifies himself in how he believe he should rule over these insects.
    That's not very interesting when compared to the other examples.

Alright. I was wrong. Freeza's not a well intentioned extremist. But as a all around villain, he is one of my favorite Anime character archetypes done very well.

Moving on, does anyone like those rich *****es like Tokyo Mew Mew's Mint Aizawa? Yeah, they can be annoying and unlikable (and tsundere-ish) but that's the charm for me. They're so unlikable that they come full circle (if that's the correct term).

I normally like guys with a lot of personality, if the main characters dull or boring its hard for me to get into the series. With One Piece you have guys like Luffy/Zoro/Sanji who while are the top 3 strongest of the crew also are the most stupid but genius when it comes to fighting, I like those type. HA Sorry for talking about One Piece so much, I'm obssesed with it as of nowXD
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

I like the passionate Shonen Hero when there's variance to him. I especially like it when he or she is smart in other areas but the subject of what the show's about is his/her one true passion. I like Luffy but the Idiot Hero can be often overplayed.

I like the characters who have fun during a fight, making cheesy yet enjoyable quips to the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Izanagi View Post
    ^Frieza is not example of that as he was just a major dick, excuse my language.
    Like the fruit in Jolteon91's signature?

I like the passionate Shonen Hero when there's variance to him. I especially like it when he or she is smart in other areas but the subject of what the show's about is his/her one true passion. I like Luffy but the Idiot Hero can be often overplayed.
    Agreed, especially when they don't fit into their world like in the spin-off manga Gundam Seed Astray.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    Like the fruit in Jolteon91's signature?
    Bananas aren't dicks ParaChomp.

Bananas aren't dicks ParaChomp.
    Tell that to Japan. What about the Bananas in Pyjamas?

Tell that to Japan. What about the Bananas in Pyjamas?
    They're... not Japanese? I really don't know where you're taking this conversation.

They're... not Japanese? I really don't know where you're taking this conversation.
    Tell the Japanese that bananas aren't dicks. I'm also asking if you can remember if the Bananas in Pyjamas were dicks.

I'm surprised the word "dick" isn't censored on a Pokemon forum of all places.
    My Anime List

Spoiler:- My Claims:

Tell the Japanese that bananas aren't dicks. I'm also asking if you can remember if the Bananas in Pyjamas were dicks.
    How can characters from a aus children's show be dicks?

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    How can characters from a aus children's show be dicks?
    You know how children's shows are with their mysteries.

The stupid shonen main lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Traps.

Spoiler:- They **** with your mind.:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolteon91 View Post
        Spoiler:- Needs more Jun:
    Agreed.     Spoiler:- More:

Also Yanderes. Kaede was the only good Shuffle arc/route, and Yuno/Kotonoha made their respective shows an entertaining watch.

Tsundere~ Kyoot. :3

My Fabulous Tumblr
    I have claimed Chimchar

Quote Originally Posted by Chrosion View Post
    Tsundere~ Kyoot. :3
    Too bad a lot of tsundere characters are done horribly wrong and translate to abusing the main character for no good reason while simultaneously secretly loving the main character for no good reason.

Too bad a lot of tsundere characters are done horribly wrong and translate to abusing the main character for no good reason while simultaneously secretly loving the main character for no good reason.
    Yeah... -.-

My Fabulous Tumblr
    I have claimed Chimchar

I like Tsundere's when they're cold people who aren't very nice but warm up and become more friendly and open (or at least mellows out) thanks to Character Development and become best buds with the primary protagonist.

Mint Aizawa from Tokyo Mew Mew is one such but she's supportive of Ichigo Momomiya's relationship with Masaya Aoyama and their bickering mellows out overtime.

A good Tsundere is good, but it's one of the most grating archetypes out there if not done utterly spot on. The worst is when non-tsundere characters suddenly become tsunderes for no apparent reason (for a recent example, see Sword Art Online).
    Done here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast