Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Ribbon Cup Caper (396)

So, why does Gonbe swell up when he eats the "Haruka Derikasu!" (I love saying that!)

And did Meowth say "Bounjour" when TR was flying off with the Ribbon Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Kojiro
    So, why does Gonbe swell up when he eats the "Haruka Derikasu!" (I love saying that!)

And did Meowth say "Bounjour" when TR was flying off with the Ribbon Cup.
    Maybe cause Munchlax and Snorlax can eat roten things not matter how bad they taste!

Can someone post a quick summary of this episode? The pictures only tell me so much, and I don't really feel like going through the trouble of watching it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu
    -I really hate how the anime is trying to cram Gonbe down our throats. I swear, it's like everytime they want someone to do something mischevious, they have Gonbe come out, complete with "Aw, what is that little rascal up to this time?" music. I haven't been this annoyed by a pokemon since Togepi.
    Agreed. Very much so infact. Unfortunalty, this sort of thing is more than likely going to run as regular as clockwork.

Anyways, the episode itself didn't really impress me that much. It was pretty standard actually, and I can't think of any scenes that stood out too much, apart from Team Rocket actually falling for that whole Golden Pokéball ploy (you have to feel sorry for them. They try so hard) and the expected chasing of the Ban'nai stuff. A pretty forgettable affair really.
    I'm glad the music was (for the most part) back to how it should be. None of that plinky-plonky crap playing in the background, apart from that one Gonbe scene. A scene obviously intended to be 'funny', yet failing miserably.

Did anyone find it strange that during the entire battle between Team Rocket near the end of the episode, that Seviper and Cacnea were kind of just...floating in the air the entire time? I mean, they've done this sort of thing before, but for some reason it was really noticable this time around.
    OMG, Seviper gotz da LEVITATE ABILITAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu
    I thought Orchid-Hakase made the one in the Gonbe episode, and then Haruka made her "Haruka Delicious Two" in the Masamune episode.
    As she was making it in the Masamune episode, she said she was glad she got the recipe from Ookido-hakase.

Bulbagarden | Serebii.net
    Member at both. Mod at both.
    And sick and tired of the Joe-Liam feud.

I thought this episode was pretty good. It was cool how the whole thing took place on board the ship. It seems like we have a lot of episodes that begin or end on a ship, but they're never actually on it for a substantial amount of time, it's just a plot device to get them from place to place. And since it's my first time seeing Bannai in action, I found him to be a pretty interesting character. One thing that I noticed though- so he's the master of disguise and all that, but I'd like to know how he changes the shape of his eyes. :P

Was it just me, or was Bannai voiced by the same seiyuu as Buson? I swear, it was the laugh that made me take notice. I swear it was his.

Anyway, my thoughts on this episode. Good/Bad:

Good:

1) Bannai. Good stuff. I haven't seen his episode, but I liked him in this, and it's certainly nice to see that they have kept one of them 'alive' after totally messing up the whole Team Magma/Aqua thing. I'm going to assume that the outfit he was wearing is his normal, outside-of-Team-Magma-outfit. If it is, then... *heart* It's hot. Especially with the midriff thing he has going on, like Harley.

2) The whole Golden Monster Ball affair. May and Max did the best out of all of them... Brock just ended up looking like a moron, to be honest. ;_;

3) Giovanni. Am I right in saying that it was James doing Giovanni's 'voice' this time? Or was it just Giovanni's normal voice, instead of Meowth's? XD

4) Golbat. I don't know... I just liked seeing Bannai with a Golbat. No Ditto this time though, which was a shame. It would have been cool if Bannai had just it to be Growlithe.

5) Chimecho in a sailor hat! Adorable. :3

Bad Points:

1) THAT music again. The one in the Gonbe scene. It sucks. WHY DO THEY KEEP ON USING IT.

2) Gonbe. I've given the little guy a chance, and I still think he sucks. The one in the 7th Movie= Good. This one= Bad.

3) The Team Rocket battle. I'm sorry, but Gravy is right. Them FLOATING in Mid-Air really stuck out this time, and I for one really did not appreciate it.

4) Bannai giving the Ribbon Cup back to Jenny. WHY? Unless he's planning to come back at some point in the Grand Festival, which would be very interesting.

In all... I'd say... 6-7 out of 10. It would be a definate 7 if THAT music hadn't been played.

Dephender Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso
    Was it just me, or was Bannai voiced by the same seiyuu as Buson? I swear, it was the laugh that made me take notice. I swear it was his.
    No, Bannai is voiced by Konishi Katsuyuki, while Buson is Hiyama Nobuyuki.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso
    Ban'nai is voiced by Konishi Katsuyuki, who is the voice of Heracross, Heigani, Sabonea, and Thunder in the second movie. Buson is voiced by Hiyama Nobuyuki, who I don't think has done any other work for Pocket Monsters, but he does have a lot of experience in voice acting.

EDIT: Ah, Dephender beat me to it.

3) Giovanni. Am I right in saying that it was James doing Giovanni's 'voice' this time? Or was it just Giovanni's normal voice, instead of Meowth's? XD
    Yeah, that was Kojirou's voice. I meant to mention that in my review, since I don't think the anime's done that before.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack.

I thought he sounded different from Mewtwo Strikes Back. However, it's been a while since I watched something with Sakaki actually speaking, and it never occured to me that that was Kojirou doing his voice, considering it's Nyaasu always doing the impressions and that voice was obviously not his.

Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

I translate for #Pocketmonsters (just because I know Japanese does not make me Japanese, stop PMing me).

Gryphon Turboclaw Guest

Question

Two questions here:

1. Exactly *why* did Bannai (I think that Bannon would be a well-suited dub name for him) steal the cup in the first place?

2. Was anything further revealed about the elemental teams in this episode?

Thanks in advance.

I have a third question to add onto gryphon's: why did Bannai give the cup *back*?

And does anyone have the details about the Magma's disbandment? Were the Aquas disbanded as well?

Okay, so that's more than one question, but oh well. And I really need someone to answer... <_< living in a pokemon deprived country can really screw up your research.

I thought this episode was pretty good. Brody was awesome. Not much else to say. Just one thing. Why did Brody dress up as Jenny when he knew that Ash and co. were helping her????

Jenny's new voice was awful. It sounded like a man trying to sound like a woman.

A decent episode and kind of funny. Though Bannai was sloppy to allow the originals to live. Blast the fact this is a kids show.

Some people don't think it's funny that Exit 69 gets off on Big Beaver.

Jenny's voice made my ears bleed. I thought that was Brody disguised as Jenny at first which would explain the male voice. What the hell.

Hated this episode. Only a few bits of witty dialogue and that was it.

Can someone post Brock's line while he was at the soda machine?
    V | Faction

You can find me over at Bulbagarden's Forums now!

Brody is a cool character. I haven't seen him prior to this episode, as I missed the Weather Institute episode.

His voice is pretty good, too. Sounded a bit off at times, but oh well.

The animation was pretty good in this episode, as opposed to the episode that follows ._.

Heh, did anyone else see the Dugtrio in the ballpit? One must wonder how it got there without being seen

Munchlax makes me laugh every time I really don't see what people have against it, it's a cool and funny Pokémon.

The transmitter trick thing was rather out of the blue, but it was a good idea. Even better, Brody figured it out after a while. Would've been rather cliché if they had caught him just by continually tracking him down.

Brody's incredibly quick at changing disguises. My only explanation is the he's dressed as a new person underneath and just pulls off his current disguise.

I lol'd pretty hard at Brock distinguishing between the two Jennies. Comedy gold right there

A Growlithe. Wow, isn't that original? -_- Why doesn't Jenny ever get a Poochyena?

Brody's escape was rather cool, I have to admit. Here's hoping we see him again in the future

EDIT: V Faction, your Signature made me laugh so hard xD

Overall rating:
    9.2 out of 10
    Good introductory episode to the Grand Festival. Too bad the Festival turns out to be rather bad ;-;

~*CB*~
    The 8th Champion
    Last edited by ≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈; 18th February 2006 at 4:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by V Faction
    Can someone post Brock's line while he was at the soda machine?
    "Hey, I almost forgot, I'm going to see the Golden Pokeball, I hear it's Golden!"

XD

anyway, this episode was fine... I suppose... though I didn't exactly find Jenny's new voice pleasent...

oh well... -_-;
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Are we sure this Jenny didn't have a penis? It's a MAN baby!

Was it me or did Officer Jenny get a new voice actor?

Yes, both Jenny and Joy got new voice do to the original actress quitting 4Kids. While Joy got a decent voice, Jenny is just...ugh.

Some people don't think it's funny that Exit 69 gets off on Big Beaver.

Yes. Jenny definitely has a new voice. I also thought she sounded like a guy. At first I thought it might have been Brody, but after Brock did his whole "Officer Jenny" scene I knew it couldn't be Brody.

This episode is a perfect example as to why Pokemon USA better keep all the 4kids voice actors.

Can you imagine Ash/May/Max/Brock/Team Rocket and everyone getting new crappy voices just like Jenny got?

The horror! I'd stop watching the dub if Pokemon USA decides to go with all new people.

Thankfully Jenny hardly even appears in the show anymore, so it's not like we'll have to hear this new butch voice too often.

:: prays that Season 9 keeps 4kids voice actors...except the new Jenny of course because she just sucks::

Ugh! Someone get Jenny a new voice actress!

*Missed the first half of the episode*

Seeing Brody again was a treat though!

Some things I didn't like were Jenny's voice - It was horrible, she needs a new VA asap.~

I also never liked Brock being able to tell Brody and any woman apart, I would have lmfao if he crushed on Brody as Jenny.
    idk what to put here sooo.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast