Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Earthbound'/MOTHER

I got Earthbound on an emulator, and it was awesome for the time I had it, but then I forgot how to use it. Gotta figure that out sometime. Stupid Kingdom of Loathing, stealing my spare time...

...I'd certainly pay for a copy if they weren't like 3,000 freakin' bucks new on Amazon. I mean... That's @$#%#&* insane. Aaaaaaand, I lacks an SNES, so that's an issue.

Wish Nintendo'd actually recognize it's existence outside of Brawl outside of Japan... It's, like, the cult game to end all cult games! Xenoblade did pretty well, maybe Earthbound Too would garner some attention?

IN MY DREEEEEEAMS!

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic Politoed View Post
    I must be a retro nut then. I actually bought the game before it raises its price to be twice more. $100 was good enough. I really wanted a legit copy of the game.
    Well, if you want to call yourself a retro nut then go ahead, but I did say "and a few other people".

Anyways, I sort of agree on "Nintendo recognizing it's existence outside of Smash Bros.". I really wish Nintendo would bring all three Mother games back outside of Japan and maybe even make a Mother 4 and release it outside of Japan or at least give us Earthbound on the VC, but I know there are problems with some music and enemies and stuff and it seems like none of those things are likely to ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Wolf View Post
    Anyways, I sort of agree on "Nintendo recognizing it's existence outside of Smash Bros.". I really wish Nintendo would bring all three Mother games back outside of Japan and maybe even make a Mother 4 and release it outside of Japan or at least give us Earthbound on the VC, but I know there are problems with some music and enemies and stuff and it seems like none of those things are likely to ever happen.

I wonder why are they reluctant to release at least EarthBound in some way. The made the game once and sold it, no legal issues whatsoever, so why not give it another spin?

I don't think having references to cultural things would be that problematic, but I do see that the Monty Python's Flying Circus theme pieces at the very beginning of the game could cause some legal issues, I mean, the pieces are nearly identical to the original. So maybe get an agreement with the good ol' guys and then release the game!

Or maybe there's an issue about the game I don't remember right now that prevents Nintendo from re-releasing it?

I'd love to have a 3D version of EB, just like the GB and NES games, imagine that!

Speaking of, I wonder if Nintendo has some sort of master plan in releasing an enhanced EarthBound on 3DS/Wii U? :O Speculations speculations speculatiooons!
    Primary 3DS FC: 3883-5608-5531 | Teddiursa, Minccino, Eevee
    Secondary 3DS FC: 4124-5580-5834 | Bibarel, Quagsire, Poliwhirl
    IGN: LISA for trades, Esch for battles

PM me for German Meadow pattern (HQ) Scatterbugs

THT SP count: 0 *sob*

Credits to Astral Shadow for the userbar!

Quote Originally Posted by Escheria View Post
    I wonder why are they reluctant to release at least EarthBound in some way. The made the game once and sold it, no legal issues whatsoever, so why not give it another spin?

I don't think having references to cultural things would be that problematic, but I do see that the Monty Python's Flying Circus theme pieces at the very beginning of the game could cause some legal issues, I mean, the pieces are nearly identical to the original. So maybe get an agreement with the good ol' guys and then release the game!

Or maybe there's an issue about the game I don't remember right now that prevents Nintendo from re-releasing it?

I'd love to have a 3D version of EB, just like the GB and NES games, imagine that!

Speaking of, I wonder if Nintendo has some sort of master plan in releasing an enhanced EarthBound on 3DS/Wii U? :O Speculations speculations speculatiooons!
    Apparently, there are three reasons why, and NoJ doesn't want to do any of them

The Sky Runner song needs to be changed
    The Chuck Berry battle song needs to be changed
    The Dali’s Clock enemy name needs to be changed

Source: http://mynintendonews.com/2012/07/01...rtual-console/

Only that? Seriously?

I don't see why can't they change the names to something resembling, like Dale's Clock instead of Dali, I'm sure most people will get the reference anyway <_>
    Primary 3DS FC: 3883-5608-5531 | Teddiursa, Minccino, Eevee
    Secondary 3DS FC: 4124-5580-5834 | Bibarel, Quagsire, Poliwhirl
    IGN: LISA for trades, Esch for battles

PM me for German Meadow pattern (HQ) Scatterbugs

THT SP count: 0 *sob*

Credits to Astral Shadow for the userbar!

Well just by reading here, I got me some motivation to play Mother 3 ^_^ I like it

Seeing that I just read the article that Zibdas put has got me saddened that I won't be able to enjoy the rest of the Earthnound games ;-; Oh well >:
    3DS: 1779-0094-0137

Credit to Sworn Metalhead

I've never played the series, but I really want to. It looksand sounds fun.
    But you have to admit, for a part-time Nazi

He's freaking hot.

Well, there's a heck of a lot of music that borrows from copyrighted material if you look (not just in Mother 3 either... here's a video with a bunch for Mother 2/Earthbound). Even if those three may currently be the only 'required' to be changed there's a lot of stuff that someone might change their mind about, and avoiding lawsuits is something Nintendo is keen on doing. I think this makes for a very good if long read on the topic. It's not a case of saying 'people would understand/be okay with this reference anyway, I'm sure' - people often aren't, and understandably so too quite often. (And I just don't see those issues getting resolved, although I still would like to see it. =p)

Also Mother 3 is one of my favourite games without a doubt. Shame about many music origins as the soundtrack is darn amazing. And the story and charactersation is excellently made as well. Certainly a game I would advise playing, along with the other ones in the series (level spikes are a bit annoying though).
    Last edited by bobandbill; 22nd July 2012 at 6:25 AM.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current Article: From RSE to ORAS - what has improved? We look at aspects that changed for better or worse.
    Previous Article: Dude, where's my Game Corner? Learn why you can't gamble in ORAS. =(
    Avatar: minty-fivestar on DA, edited background/cropping. Fic banner: cieux.

I really wihs M3 was localized. Chugga's Playthrough really made me wish that I could play it. It's a shame it can't be. Stupid No export for you games jsut because of a couple of words/ people. >_> It's really sad, if you think about it.

I look sugary and sweet, but in reality I'm just hollow and rotten.
    Tumblr

But would it be fair on those people who have had their work 'borrowed' without their permission? Copyright issues and intellectual property, etc is no small matter at all, and it's very easy to see it from the other side if you have your own work plagiarised too (which is why these forum rules in themselves are fairly strict on that and why Serebii is against any discussion of illegal devices, hacking, etc).

Them the breaks. It sucks that we can't buy what are great games because of it, but there's no easy way around those issues, and not fair either for them to profit off other people's work without any express permission.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current Article: From RSE to ORAS - what has improved? We look at aspects that changed for better or worse.
    Previous Article: Dude, where's my Game Corner? Learn why you can't gamble in ORAS. =(
    Avatar: minty-fivestar on DA, edited background/cropping. Fic banner: cieux.

What you point out is true. We just can't have everything we want, if we did, what would be the point in life if it wasn't a challenge? Well, I guess it's off for Japanese lessons for me

Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    Like the mainstream Final Fantasy titles, the Mother series bores me to death. No offence to those who love either franchises.
    I don't know how far you got in Earthbound, but I only really started to enjoy it once I got to Saturn Valley. ( The happy-happyists were great, but the path between there and the colony was really annoying).

And when I say I really started to enjoy it, I mean I REALLY started to enjoy it. And it just kept getting better.

Maybe you just prefer to not have the sound on. People who do that are really missing out when it comes to most games.
    I lost my DSi with my Black version in it.
    3DS FC: 0774-4658-6515 If you wanna' swap, tell me on my profile page.

I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Click the link to learn more.

Quote Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
    But would it be fair on those people who have had their work 'borrowed' without their permission? Copyright issues and intellectual property, etc is no small matter at all, and it's very easy to see it from the other side if you have your own work plagiarised too (which is why these forum rules in themselves are fairly strict on that and why Serebii is against any discussion of illegal devices, hacking, etc).

Them the breaks. It sucks that we can't buy what are great games because of it, but there's no easy way around those issues, and not fair either for them to profit off other people's work without any express permission.
    You pretty much identified one of the key reasons for piracy. People pirate fan translations of games that didn't come out in the US, because there is literally no other way they can get an English version of the game. It's lousy, but as they say, reality is harsh. Piracy will never go away completely, no matter what the government or anyone tries to do, and their intervention could end up making things worse for not only them, but the whole country. Constant monitoring of Internet activity, recording every word you type on your computer, and possibly requiring every person online to have a web cam active all the time are just some of the things they've been talking about. And this still won't solve it all. In my own opinion, one way to curb this is to release those games in the States. That wouldn't completely eliminate piracy, but it would keep honest people honest, if you catch my drift.
    A Winner Is You!!!

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

The worst thing you can do in any business is blame the customer.
    - Willie 'Jack' Degel

I personally liked MOTHER 3 the best, MOTHER 1 and Earthbound were too much the same in my eyes. I still love both of those games ^_^

I actually played EarthBound for the first time like a week ago. I have mixed feelings about the game. It's definitely a great game, even by today's standards, but I do have a few problems with it. The roughly first half of the game was pretty much great, I don't really have any problems with the Eagleland half at all. My main problems really only started the minute Poo joins the party. I didn't like Poo at all, he was just throw into the mix randomly and with no build-up and that came across as troublesome. Most of the stuff after that was a big yawn (Scaraba and following areas, but I did like Dungeon Man). That Dinosaur land or whatever it was called was just awful, ugh I hated that part of the game so much. And I extremely hated the whole "I have to turn you into robots or you can't follow Giygas into the past!!" plot device. I don't want to play as a damn robot, I want to play as the kids. Porky can travel to the past just fine, why can't I? :/ I also thought the final boss was pretty snooze-worthy actually, but that was probably because I already knew how to beat him.

As for Mother 3, I started it immediately afterward and got to the third needle before I accidentally deleted my save. -____- So basically I have to start over which sucks. I'll save my thoughts until I've beaten the game.

Never played the first Mother, but maybe I'll look into it as well someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Hejiru View Post
    Earthbound carts are at least $100 these days, sometimes over $200. And there's a lot of fakes running around. If you're looking to buy one, read this.
    Is there anyway to tell if a cart is fake beyond it activating the anti-piracy measures?

I'm currently looking for it at local places that resell electronics, including game systems and games. They also don't price their stuff according to eBay prices. I've seen games like Super Metroid there for about $35-$50.

woot21 out dawgs
    I have created a new word for the internet LOLE it means laugh out loud evily, if you think it is a good word copy and paste this into your sig. and use it. (started by woot21)
    I am the prince of all noobs. I am the dreaded super noob, fear my noobiness. I obey only my lord and master the king of all noobs, Magikarp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazios View Post
    And isn't Magikarp's Final Smash obvious? It's called:
        Spoiler:- Best move ever.:
    3DS FC: 2423-2730-4422
    Dream Address: 4500-3343-5150

Quote Originally Posted by Hejiru View Post
    Earthbound carts are at least $100 these days, sometimes over $200. And there's a lot of fakes running around. If you're looking to buy one, read this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Escheria View Post
    Holy Palutena! That's way too pricy for my pocket. Way too pricy.. I am not a game collector, so I am not willing to spend that much money on a game.

Then again, a Super Metroid PAL cart for 600$. As much as I love SM, I don't want to buy such an expensive pack.
    And these prices are exactly why emulation and piracy are so prevalent. That and entitlement on the parts of some people, I mean, but that's a matter of general piracy. I mean, fine, there are rights issues in the MOTHER series, but I think those could be sussed out and the game reissued (presumably ported) and, if the internet community is any sign, it'd be like printing money. Kind of like re-releasing, oh, say, Ocarina of Time.

Also, there will probably never be a MOTHER 4, because Itoi doesn't want to make one.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

I've played Mother for the NES in Japanese ....it was fun :3
    Check out Dragon-Tamer club..had to remove it because sig was too big. (Mod: As was having the water club)

Credit to Savanny
    CREDIT TO CYRIUS[
    Need someone to train your pokemon or breed for one ? I will do it.

I've never played Earthbound, but I have seen a playthrough on YouTube. It looks really good!
    Although Mother 3 is my one true love. Knowing all the Earthbound references gave it a whole extra dimension!

Pokemon White friend code: 0648 2224 4895
    Pokemon White 2 friend code: 1550 3078 1849

"One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties.
    Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
    Goodbye Susan. Goodbye my dear."
    -The First Doctor

Earthbound is amazing! I used to love the soundtrack when I was like 10, but now it sounds god-awful to me so I have to mute it and play other music on top of it XD Weird how that happens.. I recommended it to my big bro at that time and was shocked that he hated the music so much but now I understand. haha. (not that I'm telling him that :/ )
    But it's still a pretty amusing game and I like the cartoony graphics.
    Villager: Does your sciiiiiienceee explain why it rains?
    Sokka: YES! YES IT DOOOOOOOES

Quote Originally Posted by teamaquagrunt View Post
    Earthbound is amazing! I used to love the soundtrack when I was like 10, but now it sounds god-awful to me so I have to mute it and play other music on top of it XD Weird how that happens.. I recommended it to my big bro at that time and was shocked that he hated the music so much but now I understand. haha. (not that I'm telling him that :/ )
    But it's still a pretty amusing game and I like the cartoony graphics.
    There are so many things wrong with this post

I was wondering when someone would bump this.

A Mother re-release/remake? The world is ending...

Can we just get the entire series on one disc for the Wii U in HD? Just do that please.
    I have created a new word for the internet LOLE it means laugh out loud evily, if you think it is a good word copy and paste this into your sig. and use it. (started by woot21)
    I am the prince of all noobs. I am the dreaded super noob, fear my noobiness. I obey only my lord and master the king of all noobs, Magikarp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazios View Post
    And isn't Magikarp's Final Smash obvious? It's called:
        Spoiler:- Best move ever.:
    3DS FC: 2423-2730-4422
    Dream Address: 4500-3343-5150

Quote Originally Posted by woot21 View Post
    Can we just get the entire series on one disc for the Wii U in HD? Just do that please.
    I agree, and please have it localized. I mean, seriously, we need that localized now, I don't care about 3 being Rated M. Though, I do hope he's hinting at re-releasing the series, and not at something else.

Tumblr

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast