Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Play Fighting Fantasy 1

Cool Let's Play Fighting Fantasy 1

I've seen these games played around on a couple other forums and thought it'd be fun to try a session here too.

For those not familiar with the name "Fighting Fantasy", it's a series of gamebooks that started in the early 80s. With the help of a pencil and a pair of dice, the reader him/herself embark on an adventure, making their own choices along the way, collecting items, fighting monsters and hopefully not suffering a brutal death at the pointy end of a nasty trap. I had a lot of fun with these things in my childhood.

In this thread, we'll be playing such an adventure; the very first one, in fact: "The Warlock of Firetop Mountain". In this book, we play as a young adventurer who sets off for Firetop Mountain, where a powerful warlock dwells. The warlock is said to possess untold riches, and many have entered the caves of the mountains in an attempt to steal them. None have returned. Now it's our turn, because we're cool like that.

As we read through the book, we will constantly be prompted to make choices, upon which I will stop the story and poll you on our next move. There's no need to sign up for anything, just come into the thread whenever you want and vote on the currently running poll. It's open to all. The poll will run until I feel it's gone on long enough, or enough people have voted, though I'll try my best to not end it until there's a clear majority for a specific option.

NOTE: If you're familiar with the story from before, that's fine, you can still play. But PLEASE don't give hints/spoilers/suggestions based on your previous knowledge and ruin the fun for others. Preferably avoid mentioning any prior familiarity with the game at all.

The basic rules are as follows:

STATS:
    Our initial stats are determined by rolling some dice and adding some numbers to the total. Our SKILL determines how good we are at fighting, and primarily influences how often we'll be able to hit the opponent in battle. If we hurt our arms or damage our weapons in some way, our Skill might get reduced. Our STAMINA is essentially our health meter - we lose stamina when we take damage, and if it hits 0, we die. Game over. LUCK works a bit differently - at times during our adventure, we'll be asked to see if we're lucky or unlucky. This is done by throwing a pair of dice and comparing the result to our Luck score - if it's lower, we're lucky, if it's higher, we're unlucky. Every time we test our luck, we lose a luck point, so the more we rely on our luck, the more risk we put ourselves at.

My dice and I have determined that our initial skills are as follows:
    SKILL: 12/12
    STAMINA: 24/24
    LUCK: 8/8
    (this actually happens to be the highest possible initial Skill and Stamina possible. No, I did not cheat. On the other hand, our Luck is very very low - the lowest possible initial Luck is 7. This will hurt us)

BATTLE:
    Each monster we fight will have its own Skill and Stamina scores. When we fight, we first throw two dice for the monsters and add the sum to its Skill to determine its attack points. We then throw two dice for ourselves and determine our own attack power the same way. Whomever had the highest attack power hits the other for two points of damage, which gets deducted from their stamina. The one who runs out of stamina first dies.

TRYING OUR LUCK IN BATTLE:
    At any point in a battle, we can try our luck. If we try our luck after attacking an enemy, we'll deal double damage (4 points) if we're lucky or half damage (1 point) if we're unlucky. If we try our luck while being attacked, we'll only take 1 point of damage if we're lucky, but 3 points if we're unlucky.
    I'm not sure exactly how to incorporate this system (doing a poll after every single battle round will slow the game to a crawl, and the result will no doubt be no most of the time anyway).

INVENTORY:
    We start our adventure with a sword, a leather armor, a shield, a lantern and a backpack containing 10 rations, which each restore 4 points of stamina when eaten. In addition, we start with one of the following three bottles of potions:

Potion of Skill: If drunk, this will restore our SKILL to its current max.
    Potion of Strength: If drunk, this will restore our STAMINA to its current max.
    Potion of Fortune: If drunk, this will increase our current max LUCK by 1, then restore it to its new current max.

Each bottle contains enough potion for two gulps. We can drink from these at any time, with the exception of during a battle. If you want to drink from it, say so, and we'll run a poll to see if others agree.

Our first poll will thus be: Which of these three bottles do we bring with us?

(if anything is unclear, feel free to ask for clarification)
    Last edited by Dephender; 8th July 2014 at 1:14 AM.

So now that's another 80's relic I need to hunt down. Choose Your Own Adventure kinda' creeps me out every time I read the words The End. >_>

As much as I'd like to vote for the Potion of Fortune, the Potion of Strength is pretty much a staple go-to potion.

Hmm... ... ... alright, I'll vote for Potion of Fortune. It might help with stealing some treasure, who knows? >_>

ALL IN THE GOLDEN AFTERNOON...

Potion of Stamina seems the most practical to me. I vote for that...
    Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the banner

RPer's profile, 3DS Friend Code, and Nintendo Network ID

Only two votes so far? We'll be needing a bit more than that, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Pir8Heart View Post
    Choose Your Own Adventure kinda' creeps me out every time I read the words The End. >_>
    As an aside, this game is pretty kind to the player in that it doesn't really have all that many "bad ends" beyond "you ran out of Stamina and died from your injuries".

Interesting maneuver, StarFox.

As much as I want that low Luck to be able to be raised early, I'm paranoid when it comes to HP so Potion of Stamina it is.

I say Potion of Fortune ... we have high stamina and low luck, and we already have rations, so this seems the most useful no? i don't really know what im doing

"Even if we take different paths, the truth we arrive at should be the same."
    ~~~
    FC: 1048 - 8845 - 0258
    ~ ~
    [719/719]

Quote Originally Posted by Tangeh View Post
    I say Potion of Fortune ... we have high stamina and low luck, and we already have rations, so this seems the most useful no? i don't really know what im doing
    And we'll probably find a Potion along the way if we're... lucky. B) Okay maybe not, but there's probably going to be an opportunity to find one. Or more rations, which are good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotom Router View Post
    Interesting maneuver, StarFox.

As much as I want that low Luck to be able to be raised early, I'm paranoid when it comes to HP so Potion of Stamina it is.
    So am I. I buy a ton of Potions every time i'm in a new town in Pokemon. xD

Two votes for Potion of Fortune, two for Potion of Strength...

Gonna need a tiebreaker here.

Can I play?
    Potion of Fortune. Luck FTW!

| Trainer Level 4 | D Grade Referee |

Machamp, I claim you!

I have claimed Karst from Golden Sun: The Lost Age and also, Golden Sun: The Lost Age. I have claimed Shadow's Theme from FFVI.

Everyone can play.

Potion of Fortune it is!
    (as mentioned, if at any point someone thinks we should drink from this bottle, say so, and we'll run a poll right away)

And with that, our adventure starts:

Only a foolhardy adventurer would embark upon such a perilous quest without first finding out as much as possible about the mountain and its treasures. Before your arrival at the foot of Firetop Mountain, you spent several days with the townsfolk of a local village some two days' journey from the base. Being a likable sort of person, you found it easy to get on with the local peasants. Although they told many stories about the mysterious Warlock's sanctuary, you could not feel sure that all – or indeed any – of these were based on fact. The villagers had seen many adventurers pass through on their way to the mountain, but very few ever returned. The journey ahead was extremely dangerous, that you knew for certain. Of those who returned to the village, none contemplated going back to Firetop Mountain.

There seemed to be some truth in the rumour that the Warlock's treasure was stored in a magnificent chest with two locks, and the keys to these locks were guarded by various creatures within the dungeons. The Warlock himself was a sorcerer of great power. Some described him as old, others as young. Some said his power came from an enchanted deck of cards, others from the silky black gloves that he wore.

The entrance to the mountain was guarded by a pack of warty-face goblins, stupid creatures, fond of their food and drink. Towards the inner chambers, the creatures became more fearsome. To reach the inner chambers you would have to cross a river. The ferry service was regular, but the ferryman enjoyed a good barter, so you should save a Gold Piece for the trip. The locals also encouraged you to keep a good map of your wanderings, for without a map you would end of hopelessly lost within the mountain.

When it finally came to your day of leaving, the whole village turned out to wish you a safe journey. Tears came to the eyes of many of the women, young and old alike. You couldn't help wondering whether they were tears of sorrow shed by eyes which would never see you alive again ...

At last your two day hike is over. You unsheathe your sword, lay it on the ground and sigh with relief as you lower yourself down on to the mossy rocks to sit for a moment's rest. You stretch, rub your eyes and finally look up at Firetop Mountain.

The very mountain itself looks menacing. The steep face in front of you looks to have been savaged by the claws of some gargantuan beast.
    Sharp rocky crags jut out at unnatural angles. At the top of the mountain you can see the eerie red colouring – probably some strange vegetation – which has given the mountain its name. Perhaps no one will ever know exactly what grows up there, as climbing the peak must surely be impossible.

Your quest lies ahead of you. Across the clearing is a dark cave entrance. You pick up your sword, get to your feet and consider what dangers may lie ahead of you. But with determination, you thrust the sword home into its scabbard and approach the cave.

You peer into the gloom to see dark, slimy walls with pools of water on the stone floor in front of you. The air is cold and dank. You light your lantern and step warily into the blackness. Cobwebs brush your face and you hear the scurrying of tiny feet: rats, most likely. You set off into the cave. After a few yards you arrive at a junction.
    Will you turn west or east?

Make your vote.

CURRENT STATS:
    LUCK: 8/8
    POTIONS: Potion of Fortune (2 gulps remaining)
    PROVISIONS REMAINING: 10
    Last edited by Dephender; 8th July 2014 at 9:43 PM.

Quite the charmer, this protagonist. >3> Male empowerment for the win...?

Perhaps no one will ever know exactly what grows up there, as climbing the peak must surely be impossible.
    I'm going to assume this means that the peak is a possible destination.

POTIONS: Potion of Fortune 2/2
    Hold on now, that 2/2's the # of gulps, right? I think that could be worded less vaguely. :/

And now, voting. West is best.

Quote Originally Posted by Pir8Heart View Post
    Hold on now, that 2/2's the # of gulps, right? I think that could be worded less vaguely. :/
    Better now?

We have to go exploring anyway.... Go West young adventurer.

^Sworn Metalhead made that and is pretty cool^
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodlebug
    Giovanni x Mudkip = new OTP
    I CLAIM BIDOOF! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
    I've also claimed the Scion of Legend, Owain! JUSTICE!

Quote Originally Posted by Dephender View Post
    Better now?
    Yes, that's cool. ^_^

Let's go east!

#rebel

"Even if we take different paths, the truth we arrive at should be the same."
    ~~~
    FC: 1048 - 8845 - 0258
    ~ ~
    [719/719]

West I have no idea why...

3 votes for west, 1 for east.

We go west.

There is a right-hand turn to the north in the passage. Cautiously, you approach a sentry post on the corner and, as you look in, you can see a strange Goblin-like creature in leather armour asleep at his post.

You try to tiptoe past him.

You Test your Luck. You are Lucky, he does not wake up and remains snoring loudly.
    (we rolled a 6, which is less than 8)

To your left, on the west face of the passage, there is a rough-cut wooden door. You listen at the door and can hear a rasping sound which may be some sort of creature snoring.
    Do you want to open the door?
    Do you wish to press on northwards?

CURRENT STATS:
    LUCK: 7/8
    POTIONS: Potion of Fortune (2 gulps remaining)

(also, we should probably work out some guidelines for how we'll potentially use Luck in battle... any suggestions?)
    Last edited by Dephender; 9th July 2014 at 12:57 AM.

LEEEEERROOOOY JEEENKINS-Ahem. I mean, verily we shalt open the door

^Sworn Metalhead made that and is pretty cool^
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodlebug
    Giovanni x Mudkip = new OTP
    I CLAIM BIDOOF! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
    I've also claimed the Scion of Legend, Owain! JUSTICE!

Press on northwards Never trust the creepy noises behind a wooden door.

I gota agree and go leroy jenkens open the door

We open the door.

The door opens to reveal a small, smelly room. In the center of the room is a rickety wooden table on which stands a lit candle. Underneath the table is a small wooden box. Asleep on a straw mattress in the far corner of the room is a short, stocky creature with an ugly, warty face; the same sort of creature that you found asleep at the sentry post. He must be the guard for the night watch.
    Do you wish to return to the corridor and press on northwards?
    Do you wish to creep into the room and try to take the box without waking the creature? (this will require us to Test our Luck)

CURRENT STATS:
    LUCK: 7/8
    POTIONS: Potion of Fortune (2 gulps remaining, can be drunk at any time)

return to the corridor and press on northwards I'm not interested in pressing my luck...

return to the corridor and press northwards

Hmm, the box could be filled with valuable loot. On the other hand could be filled with imminent demise. hmmm

aw, heck with it! return to the corridor and press northwards
    A world without friendship is like an acorn without the corn!
    3DS FC: 4227 - 0729 - 3560

My ASB Profile

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast