- Delibird
    - Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam
    - Tyrogue
    - Golbat

Riddle:
    I flinch when you are nice.
    You kill me with a single word.

Hints:
    1. Think of the word 'flinch' and 'kill' as other meanings other than their real meanings, but are still related.

Meaning don't think the word 'flinch' means really flinch or 'kill' really kill.
    So start working w/ thesaurus or other word references.
    The second hint will be a more eye-opener. I'll wait till there are like 5 answers.
    Kalos shinies (Some):
    - Vivillon Hunt Complete! -

Quote Originally Posted by thetifftiff
    Amount of real life time doesn't mean much when it comes to shiny hunting though.

Hmmm... So I'm assuming by this you aren't talking about "kill" meaning "faint" instead of literally "permanently end the life of", which tends to be a well-recognized enough metaphor to not need stating.

Like the thing I said before, I can think of one pokémon that can metaphorically die in a way that isn't fainting, but it doesn't with a single word, so again, I can't answer. From a quick look at the dictionary, flinch doesn't really have a definition besides its obvious one. So unless the meaning of that first line is just that the subject doesn't like being treated kindly, which seems more obvious to me than some of the interpretations that have been given, I'm a little mystified at the moment.

I'll hold my guesses at the moment. I have to see if anyone else has more wit.
    All fear the vampiric ghost skeletal uber mr. mime caterpie!

Thank you Megadio for the awesome banner.

the second meaning for flinch in my dictionary is a variant of flense

slice of skin from a carcass -- or just plain nervous movement

And the other meaning for kill… or 'kill me' could mean jokes…

I know this will probably be wrong but joker from dc universe had his face sliced off… and he's not nice or

flinch when you are nice -- clowns are scary. // nervous movement unless nice
    You kill me with a single word -- learns mimic which is sorta a funny move to use. Kinda

I think I'll go Sudowoodo since the joker connection is a little eh…

I do believe it was Two Face who got his face (partially) removed. I think it was burned or dissolved with acid, not sliced though.

The second is an interesting interpretation. I think with that in mind, I'll go with wobbuffet. Being "nice" to it and not attacking it would be bad news to wobbuffet, because then it can't attack. And being based on a comedian and having a generally comical personality, the joke bit would fit.

Quote Originally Posted by octoboy View Post
    Hmmm... So I'm assuming by this you aren't talking about "kill" meaning "faint" instead of literally "permanently end the life of", which tends to be a well-recognized enough metaphor to not need stating.
    Yes, it's not "faint" or "permanently end the life of" either. But the meaning that I want it's still related to "kill" in a way.

From a quick look at the dictionary, flinch doesn't really have a definition besides its obvious one. So unless the meaning of that first line is just that the subject doesn't like being treated kindly, which seems more obvious to me than some of the interpretations that have been given, I'm a little mystified at the moment.
    Yes again, the subject doesn't like a certain kind of treatment even though the purpose is nice/kind. It will 'flinch' or 'steps away' (help you a bit there) in an 'action'. You still have to figure out what action it is.

The second verse actually talks about the right treatment for the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by thirty-six View Post
    the second meaning for flinch in my dictionary is a variant of flense

slice of skin from a carcass -- or just plain nervous movement

And the other meaning for kill… or 'kill me' could mean jokes…

I know this will probably be wrong but joker from dc universe had his face sliced off… and he's not nice or

flinch when you are nice -- clowns are scary. // nervous movement unless nice
    You kill me with a single word -- learns mimic which is sorta a funny move to use. Kinda

I think I'll go Sudowoodo since the joker connection is a little eh…
    The Joker reference somewhat made me laugh

Both answers are still wrong unfortunately.
    I'm gonna drop the second hint after 2 more guesses. I don't wanna confuse you guys too long.
    Kalos shinies (Some):

Amount of real life time doesn't mean much when it comes to shiny hunting though.

Snorlax?

In Gen 1, you had to use the Pokeflute to wake it up from its nap, which is considered nice in a way (plus the Pokeflute has a soothing sound). Snorlax "flinches" or attacks you for it. If you run away, the Snorlax disappears, which could also be considered "flinching" or "step/running away", like in the hint.

As for the second verse, if you capture Snorlax, you can command it to use Rest, which is the attack it's well-known for and the "right treatment" for the subject. And while the command isn't exactly "killing" it, it's making it immobile or unconscious, which is somewhat related to killing.

NORMAL GROUND FIGHTING ROCK STEEL BUG DRAGON FLYING GHOST POISON

Which will you choose?

Image not drawn by me. Editing done on MS Paint. Any help on turning this into a proper sig would be greatly appreciated.

My guess is Chatot why?
    I think of flinching as a reaction to something since it is a mocking Pokemon it's reacting to what you have done or said and repeating it. Kill could mean to disappear or to defeat its spirits, its purpose, or what it stands for. The move Chatter that only Chatot can learn can do this since this move allows you the Pokemon to repeat what you say you can kill its purpose by saying negative things sometimes in one word it would then kill the enjoyment of Pokemon to other people and even the "Kill" the Pokemon itself by becoming banned for that move alone

I'll try banette. It's fuelled by hatred, so being kind to it might weaken it. If banette opens its mouth, its cursed energy escapes and it dies, so a single word kills it.

...Piplup? It's mentioned in the Pokedex that it hates accepting food from people, so it "flinches" when you're nice. Not sure about the killing with one word part, but maybe it has to do with Dawn's Piplup in the anime?

Friend Safari - Bug with Butterfree/Volbeat/Vivillon - PM me for my FC!
        Spoiler:- Shiny hunting stuff:

Your answers are still invalid guys.
    However, Kimchu's answer is getting warmer in certain ways. Which will lead us to the next hint.

Wrong answers so far (don't repeat):
    - Slowpoke
    - Poliwhirl
    - Gligar
    - Delibird
    - Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam
    - Tyrogue
    - Golbat
    - Sudowoodo
    - Wobbuffet
    - Snorlax
    - Chatot
    - Bannette
    - Piplup

Riddle:

Hints:
    1. Think of the word 'flinch' and 'kill' as other meanings other than their real meanings, but are still related.
    2. Think of 'a single word' as an item, not a pokemon move.

So I guess the riddle is clearer now, except for the 'killing' part. Which I'm gonna save it for later.
    The next hint will 'put you in the box.' But I'm gonna need around four guesses w/ reasons first.
    Last edited by Cutty; 15th December 2012 at 2:30 AM.
    Kalos shinies (Some):

Quote Originally Posted by Cutty View Post
    The second verse actually talks about the right treatment for the subject.
    So what you're saying is, this thing wants to be "killed"?

I can think of a pokémon which wouldn't react well to a generally kind gesture and would be killed by an item in a positive way, but that item is definitely not a single word, so I don't think I'm on the right track here.

I honestly have no clue at this point.

Is it Pikachu?

"I flinch when you are nice" could refer to Pikachu's resistance to evolving via Thunderstone in the anime. "Killing" could refer to evolving it, since it "kills off" its Pikachu form to become Raichu, which makes it stronger and therefore is the "right" treatment for it.

Friend Safari - Bug with Butterfree/Volbeat/Vivillon - PM me for my FC!
        Spoiler:- Shiny hunting stuff:

*sigh* Another close one. I always get those but not the actual answer for some reason. :\

Anyway, I'm going with Nincada. Capturing it would be considered a nice gesture that it would hate, since it prefers hiding underground instead of being out in the open. Evolving it also works for this. The item that would kill it would be a "pokeball"; since you need an extra pokeball in your party for it to evolve into both a Ninjask and Shedininja, you are technically "killing" and being nice to it at the same time.

However, I'm really liking the Pikachu idea too. I can see it work.

NORMAL GROUND FIGHTING ROCK STEEL BUG DRAGON FLYING GHOST POISON

Which will you choose?

Image not drawn by me. Editing done on MS Paint. Any help on turning this into a proper sig would be greatly appreciated.

So what you're saying is, this thing wants to be "killed"?
    Not really. But a certain thing must be done to the subject in order to 'kill' it.

I can think of a pokémon which wouldn't react well to a generally kind gesture and would be killed by an item in a positive way, but that item is definitely not a single word, so I don't think I'm on the right track here.
    The item's name is not single word, but the word 'item' is one word.

I like the Pikachu and Nincada ideas, but they're not what I'm looking for.

Try again everyone before the third hint.
    Kalos shinies (Some):

Wait, so what you're saying is, as long as an item is an item, it can be a single word? So a super ultra radioactive plus power lightning blitz ball could be a single word because it still technically falls under the one-word category of "item"?

Sounds like a pretty obscure technicality to be guessed without being stated. But anyway, I don't have anything right now, I'll see what the others have to say.

Wait, so what you're saying is, as long as an item is an item, it can be a single word? So a super ultra radioactive plus power lightning blitz ball could be a single word because it still technically falls under the one-word category of "item"?

Sounds like a pretty obscure technicality to be guessed without being stated. But anyway, I don't have anything right now, I'll see what the others have to say.
    We're talking about pokemon here. The thing I want falls under category item in the game. So I think its clear enough unless I state it otherwise like pokemon, move or other known categories.

You might not like the final answer, but its just a game anyway.^^

Try 2 more times guys.
    Kalos shinies (Some):

It seems to me like one of those Pokemon that benefit from a toxic or flame orb, even though it hurts them and could make them "flinch" (although not by the game's definition). Maybe Swellow?
    3DS Friend Code: 2793-0629-6270
    Friend Safari:
    My Shinies:
    My AtA Winners:

Just going to guess Kecleon. "single word" could be referring to how the Devon Scope makes them visible.

3DS Friend Code: 5086-0861-1093

^Warmer, only for second part. You and Face are still wrong however.

Alrighty. Time for another hint.

Wrong answers so far (don't repeat):
    - Slowpoke
    - Poliwhirl
    - Gligar
    - Delibird
    - Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam
    - Tyrogue
    - Golbat
    - Sudowoodo
    - Wobbuffet
    - Snorlax
    - Chatot
    - Bannette
    - Piplup
    - Pikachu
    - Nincada
    - Swellow
    - Kecleon

Riddle:

Hints:
    2. Think of 'a single word' as an item, not a pokemon move.
    3. Think of the riddle as a part of game plot that must be done to proceed the playthrough.

Now review again every pokemon game plot/story from gen 1-5, and find a part where a task must be carried out that fits the riddle and the hints. Think inside the box. This should be get you closer to the right answer.
    I'm gonna reveal the definition of 'kill' as the next hint, but hopefully we wont be needing it.
    Try some guesses w/ good reasons. Good luck.
    Kalos shinies (Some):

That makes me think of that marowak that died in Lavender. Maybe being "nice" would be giving the marowak company, which she seems to oppose, scaring you away all the time, and then killing her would be what she wants because her soul is at rest. Not sure what the one word would be, but if a silph scope could be the word "item" regardless of the name of the item itself, it could fit.

So my guess is marowak.

I'm thinking of psyduck. You it flinches for a bit when you give it the secret potion in platinum, and the secret potion "kills" its headache.

What's Under YOUR Bed?

FC: 2466-2305-3359
    IGN: Jayrad

DING DING DING. WE HAVE A WINNER PPL.

That makes me think of that marowak that died in Lavender. Maybe being "nice" would be giving the marowak company, which she seems to oppose, scaring you away all the time, and then killing her would be what she wants because her soul is at rest. Not sure what the one word would be, but if a silph scope could be the word "item" regardless of the name of the item itself, it could fit.

So my guess is marowak.
    Thats very quick of you to catch the third hint. Turned out its very simple huh? Congrats btw.
    Your explanation is pretty fit in too. I'll add a lil bit in case of ppl are still wondering.

I flinch when you are nice. The subject always steps away/breaks free whenever we try to catch it, although our intention is nice aka to help her beat team Rocket/release her soul.

You kill me with a single word. Finally we have to 'kill' the subject. 'Kill' here means to defeat it. The only way to defeat it is using Silph Scope as a 'single word' or item. Then, we can really kill it as in faint it to make her goddamn soul free.

Is everyone satisfied w/ that, no? Pretty decent for my first riddle huh? Its a wrap anyway.

Now its octoboy's turn again to wreck our nerves w/ his riddle. Go ahead octo, Gotham City is yours.
    Kalos shinies (Some):

Wow, I got it? I guess I had to do a little hint riding too, but guess I'm up.

Now to my riddle bank... Ah, how about this one? An older one, but elegantly simple. Let's see how quick this one's solved.

Don’t fall for me, I am a joke
    Please do not trust that shifty bloke
    Don’t fall for me, I am a trap
    Please do not trust that shrewd old chap
    Don’t fall for me, I am a prank
    That crafty villain, you won’t thank
    Don’t fall for me, for I'm the bait
    You will get nothing if you wait
    Do not be charmed by my allure
    I am a tasty thing for sure
    But be assured I'm just a trick
    Around in battle I won’t stick

ok my guess is zorua/ark
    Don’t fall for me, I am a joke-illusion show not who they really are
    Please do not trust that shifty bloke
    Don’t fall for me, I am a trap-
    Please do not trust that shrewd old chap
    Don’t fall for me, I am a prank- same as #1
    That crafty villain, you won’t thank-
    Don’t fall for me, for I'm the bait- looks like other poke'
    You will get nothing if you wait-wont change until you attack it
    Do not be charmed by my allure
    I am a tasty thing for sure-?
    But be assured I'm just a trick-same as before DX
    Around in battle I won’t stick- wont stay as the other poke for long

banner made by Lucina Archealis (I don't think I spelt that right OTL)
    ^U^ I LOVE Crona from soul eater!
    owner of the silver fan club
    VM me and such if you wanna play some SSBB! im always up for a challange!

Farfetch'd? It's known for being a delicacy, and the last line could be play-on words since it dies really easily, plus its signature item is Stick.
    3DS Friend Code: 2793-0629-6270
    Friend Safari:
    My Shinies:
    My AtA Winners:

Page 71 of 143 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121 ... LastLast