Page 77 of 142 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187127 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 3546

Thread: Pokemon Riddle

I can't think of any Pokemon these would fit off the top of my head, but a couple suggestions.

No matter how hard I crush my enemies,
    They always seem to walk away unharmed.
    When I am with the older ones,
    My only friend outshines me.
    Sometimes I get so mad at myself.
    Am I destined for this life?

The first couple lines could refer not to strong moves coupled with bad offences, but to a crushing or squeezing move, like Stomp or Wrap like others suggested. It could refer in particular to a low powered one or one that's weak in certain conditions, like Wring Out for example.

The last four lines could refer to a Pokemon who's ok, but not fantastic. But then when compared to a similar Pokemon who's at a higher evolutionary stage(or same stage, but required a higher level to evolve), it seems bad in comparison.

I would say Octillery, because of Mantine, but I think someone's already guessed him so Eevee, because it can learn Stomp (I think?) and can hold it's own pretty well, but when compared to its evolutions (When I am with the older ones) it's kinda terrible.
    Hello, everybody.
    Due to reasons I have been instructed not to divulge, I am taking a hiatus from the forums. I'm not sure when I will return, if ever. Thank you, everybody for making my time here at Serebii great.

-Regards, Rave

Member of the Unofficial Swalot Club
    Friend Safari: Eevee, Audino, and Teddiursa.
    Y Friend Code: 0602-6266-7186

Formerly QuagsireEOoD

I've got it. Shedinja.

No matter how hard I crush my enemies, Final Gambit, which can be useful for some...
    They always seem to walk away unharmed. ...but useless to Shedinja, since it will always inflict 1 HP.
    When I am with the older ones, Possibly other Bug-types, like Forretress or Scizor.
    My only friend outshines me. Ninjask is better than Shedinja, due to Baton Pass, Speed Boost, and not(immediately) dying to entry hazards.
    Sometimes I get so mad at myself. (filler)
    Am I destined for this life? Ironic, since it has no life.
    I have discovered what a signature is.

This is Bidoof. Many people loathe it with their lives. If you are of the few people who love this little beaver, put this in your sig. Started by Warrior Scolipede

I've claimed Castform. It will never rain on my parade.

Nope. Remember, I said in the first hint that the "only friend" is not in the same family as the subject, and in fact isn't even the same type.
    3DS Friend Code: 2793-0629-6270
    Friend Safari:
    My Shinies:
    My AtA Winners:

I'mm guessing Slaking?
    Fan Fic: Nexus Renegade
    When a new dimension is created and gives birth to three terrors of the world. The Nexus will judge you
    Currently Under Revision
    Special Thanks to Inudono19 for the Badass Morph of the Creation Trio

Arbok? He's quite a good loser.
    Last edited by Piexe; 12th April 2013 at 3:21 PM. Reason: Misspell

Trying to keep this game up. Don't have a lot of good guesses, but I'm going to try one anyway so this isn't spam.

I'm not sure whether the "older ones" are meant to be from a previous generation. The first pokémon I can think about off the top of my head that are the only one of their kind in their own generation, but have something similar (but differently typed) to them in later generations (making them the "only friend") don't fit the rest of the riddle. There might be some that do, but I'll have to think harder about it. It probably doesn't help my case that if "outshine" means to outclass competitively, it gives me no leads due to my lack of knowledge about competitive play.

I'm going to guess cubone for now. The first two lines sound like false swipe, which is a move learned naturally by the cubone line. There's nothing "older" than cubone in terms of generation, but the prehistoric pokémon could be considered older being prehistoric, and aerodactyl could be the "only friend", as its head is shaped kind of like cubone's skull, and it probably "outshines" cubone in battle (I'm not sure about marowak, again, don't know anything about competitive play). Cubone also seems like the type to hate its life a lot.

Sounds like a stretch, but maybe other people could have better ideas.
    All fear the vampiric ghost skeletal uber mr. mime caterpie!

Thank you Megadio for the awesome banner.

Nope. Next hint: "The older ones" does not refer to earlier generations.
    Friend Safari:
    My Shinies:
    My AtA Winners:

I'm going to try for octillery, if my previous joke guess didn't take. It was never denied that the "older ones" were prehistoric, and besides the lileep line, octillery is the only pokémon with suction cups, making the lilies its "only friend", but not one of the same type, but a type which makes them outshine octillery (also one of the few if not only fossil pokémon with any sort of type advantage over octillery). Octillery can crush its enemies by wrapping them in its arms. I'm not sure what walking away unharmed would refer to, but the rest at least vaguely fits.

I kind of wish other people had any ideas on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by octoboy
    I kind of wish other people had any ideas on this one.
    Well, I gave it a lot of thought, but I have no idea what it is. Particularly because of these lines-

Is it that its only friend outshines it only when it is with the older ones? Or does it outshine it all the time? I thought it was Archen/Archeops since the Pokemon seems to have a defeatist attitude, but it doesn't make much sense for the rest of the riddle.
    Thanks to Valaraúkar for gifting me this awesome banner, and woebegonenick for making it!
    Credit to Ayra for the profile pic.
    I have claimed Kabutops, destroyer of all! Fear me or perish!

Join The Sinjoh Connection!

Beedrill?

No matter how hard I crush my enemies,
    They always seem to walk away unharmed.

It has one of those x5 attacks… evolves to final form really early and can become useless pretty fast

Butterfree, it's counterpart is slightly better because of the larger variety of status effects it can have

Am I destined for this life?

Dunno, but buzzing noises are annoying… and it creates its own xD

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bolt View Post
    Well, I gave it a lot of thought, but I have no idea what it is. Particularly because of these lines-

Is it that its only friend outshines it only when it is with the older ones? Or does it outshine it all the time?
    That's actually an interesting way to look at it. I figured the friend was the only one of the "older ones" who had anything in common with the subject, but maybe the older ones actually affect the situation of the subject and the "friend" to give the friend a special advantage. But in that case, I have no idea what that could be.

The first thing to come to my mind was mawile, as it "crushes" its enemies with its clamp, and nuzleaf could be seen as mawile's friend being the "wily" pokémon (kind of matching the reference to the word "wily" in mawile's name), and it outshines mawile when groudon (who's ancient, thus "older") is around because groudon's drought activates nuzleaf's chlorophyll, but groudon is just an older one, and if the other older one is there, drought wouldn't work (I think, I don't remember if drizzle and drought cancel each other out or not). Mawile also doesn't seem like the type to get mad at itself (I'm not sure if that part's supposed to reference anything besides the subject being unfortunate). And mawile may have already been guessed, I honestly don't remember. If not, that's my weakly justified guess for now.

The only other "older ones" I can think of whose presence alone affects other players are dialga and palkia, but I can't think of any pokémon which particularly outshines another in the presence of the pressure ability. Except the Unovan legends' abilities, I guess, but I'd think they wouldn't fit if "older" doesn't refer to generations. Unless their mythos actually claims them to have come around after the Sinnoh legends'. I honestly don't know enough about them to justify the suggestion that one of them could be the "friend".\

Edit: Something just hit on me. When I was looking through some of the fossil pokémons' abilities, I realized that mold breaker dispels levitate. A pokémon with levitate could very much fit the middle two lines if the ability of the "older ones", cranidos and rampardos could take away its immunity. Perhaps most of the time, the pokémon is more effective in battle than its "friend", but only if it can't be damaged by ground attacks, which the "older ones" prevent from being the case.

That said, I can't think of any levitators that fit that description. Koffing may come the closest because losing its ground immunity cripples it quite a bit due to its weakness, and the justifications used for arbok before may also fit koffing's family (it's a Rocket pokémon, it always loses). But I'm not quite sure who the friend is (wingull apparently is one of the few other pokémon whose names are mentioned in game music, and mold breaker won't let ground moves hit it, but that doesn't seem like much of a connection).

Mold Breaker actually dispels a ton of abilities, so I might not be right on which one it is, but perhaps the older ones are cranidos and rampardos.

...Or maybe my previous thought was right, and the "friend" is the most similar pokémon to the subject among the "older ones". I'm still not sure.
    Last edited by octoboy; 26th April 2013 at 12:03 AM.

Still no right answers. Here's another big hint:

"The older ones" does not refer to any kind of Pokemon.
    Friend Safari:
    My Shinies:
    My AtA Winners:

Wow. This riddle just gets more and more confusing by the minute. I'm starting to wonder if the middle part of this riddle refers to the battling aspect of the game, because outside other pokémon, the only thing I could imagine the "older ones" referring to is trainers. Perhaps the subject and the friend are the only two of their kind among those used by a certain bunch of elders? I can't think of any such elders, so I don't have any further ideas on that for the moment.

The only other thing I can think of is celebi. The one other thing "older" makes me think of is ancient power. Celebi and dialga aren't the same type, but are the only two pokémon associated with time (at least that naturally learn ancient power, to my knowledge), and dialga's greater special attack makes it outshine celebi when using it. Though I can't explain the beginning, but I'm starting to give up on being able to come up with anything in the Pokémon world that fits that is capable of seriously harming its opponent, yet at the same time allowing its opponent to get out unharmed (really, that could be any pokémon against a trained opponent, as no trained pokémon dies in battle, and can always be healed at a centre and be left completely unharmed).

I'm not sure if this one needs more informative pointers or what. This riddle's been up for two months, and nobody has any leads. And it seems people have started to give up around this month's beginning. This one might be solved more easily with more people trying, but apparently this one's really intimidated everybody.

Okay. I haven't posted a guess in a long time because, quite frankly, this puzzle stumps me. But the latest hint got me thinking, and although I'm probably wrong, my guess right now is Charizard. Reason being: if the "older ones" don't refer to Pokemon or earlier generations, they might refer to older players of the game. Charizard is quite popular among younger Pokemon fans, and although that's true for older players as well, many people involved in competitive battling don't use Charizard much in the higher tiers, because it's outshined by many other Pokemon (though I can't think of a specific, "outshining" competitive counterpart to Charizard that doesn't share its type). The other lines are a little iffy, but this is about the best I can do right now. Really, I'm just hoping to get some insight into whether I'm on the right track with the "older ones" line.

Oh, and the "sometimes I get so mad at myself" bit makes me think of Anger Point or the confusion status, but those don't really have anything to do with Charizard, so... yeah. Just throwing my thoughts out there to see if anyone can't come up with a better explanation.

Friend Safari - Bug with Butterfree/Volbeat/Vivillon - PM me for my FC!
        Spoiler:- Shiny hunting stuff:

Okay, here's a big hint. There is more than one definition of "crush."
    Friend Safari:
    My Shinies:
    My AtA Winners:

Did some more thinking. Is it Spiritomb?

No matter how hard I crush my enemies: Spiritomb has the ability Pressure.
    They always seem to walk away unharmed: It's a ghost, and it's not known for outstanding offensive prowess.
    My only friend outshines me: Again, I'm wondering if this refers to its use in competitive battling. Unfortunately, I can't think of a Pokemon that outclasses Spiritomb that isn't Dark or Ghost.
    Am I destined for this life?: Pearl's Pokedex entry states, "It was bound to a fissure in an Odd Keystone as punishment for misdeeds 500 years ago." So I guess it could be remorseful about that, or something.

So there you have it. If I'm wrong, maybe someone can help fill in the missing pieces.

I wondered if the pressure ability was being referenced too. Most pokémon with the pressure ability are either legendary or at least pretty powerful, so I couldn't think of anything else that really fits. I think the only ones that aren't powerful only have pressure as a hidden ability (the unevolved wailmer and pawniard).

Since it's been over a week and Face hasn't responded, I'm going to bump this thread and hazard a guess of Absol, mostly due to the Pressure ability and the last two lines of the riddle (since it tries to warn people about the disasters it senses, but people misconstrue its intentions, so it could feel "mad" at itself for that). I know I'm on the wrong track with this one, but I didn't want to bump the thread without making a guess.

Still no correct guesses, so here's the biggest hint of all so far: "The Older Ones" are humans.
    Friend Safari:
    My Shinies:
    My AtA Winners:

Random Guess: Snorlax. Preffesor Oak has one, and Snorlax is so fat that he just cushions his enemies and doesn't hurt them.
    Do you like Pokémon? Do you like Roleplaying? Then join
    Wild Future
    The new Advanced Pokémon Roleplaying Game! Go to the Welcome Post for an overview, and visit the Rules Thread to learn how everything works. Once you're ready to join, head over to the Registration Thread and get going!

The Saga of Heigon
    A One-Shot Pokémon Fanfic

Everyday I'm Shucklin'

I'VE GOT IT.

LUVDISC.

Crush refers to the love kind of crush, which is Luvdisc's main way of fighting. Unfortunately, he sucks. The older ones could possibly reference the people who it helps get together.

Or maybe it references that the Pokemon is a recent invention, so it views people as "older ones..."

Please PM or VM me if I'm correct.
    Last edited by Z-nogyroP; 20th May 2013 at 1:25 AM.
    I have discovered what a signature is.

This is Bidoof. Many people loathe it with their lives. If you are of the few people who love this little beaver, put this in your sig. Started by Warrior Scolipede

I've claimed Castform. It will never rain on my parade.

Still wrong, but you guys are getting much closer now.
    Friend Safari:
    My Shinies:
    My AtA Winners:

Alomomola? Again, like Z-NgyoroP said, crush is the love kind of crush, but Alomomola doesn't have the best offensive stats to do much harm to it's enemies. Older ones could refer to competitive battlers, who use it as a physical wall, but there are other pokemon like Skarmory who do it better and it is outclassed by Chansey and Blissey as a wish passer, which I'm guessing are the one of the only friends Alomomola has, since both of them have titanic Hp.

I'm guessing the last two lines are filler, but if this is wrong, can you tell us if the last lines have some relevance?
    Thanks to Valaraúkar for gifting me this awesome banner, and woebegonenick for making it!
    Credit to Ayra for the profile pic.
    I have claimed Kabutops, destroyer of all! Fear me or perish!

Join The Sinjoh Connection!

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bolt View Post
    Alomomola? Again, like Z-NgyoroP said, crush is the love kind of crush, but Alomomola doesn't have the best offensive stats to do much harm to it's enemies. Older ones could refer to competitive battlers, who use it as a physical wall, but there are other pokemon like Skarmory who do it better and it is outclassed by Chansey and Blissey as a wish passer, which I'm guessing are the one of the only friends Alomomola has, since both of them have titanic Hp.

I'm guessing the last two lines are filler, but if this is wrong, can you tell us if the last lines have some relevance?
    He gave a hint saying that the "older ones" are humans... this leads me to think... say... X has a better level up Movepool than Y, but Y has a better movepool in overall due to TMs, which are man-made. So... X may outshine Y in the wild, but Y will usually defeat X if they are owned by trainers.

Another thing... "crush" can mean something like the "friendship" factor? So... what if X can evolve naturally by level up or something similar, while Y requires the help of humans, the "friendship" factor to evolve and outshine Y?

Yet another thing, what if X has a Type advantage in battle over Y, but Y is generally more useful in battle?

I have officially claimed Mew.

It'a not Alomomola.

Blany, of your three statements, the first one is probably closest, since it does have something to do with a move. The riddle has nothing to do with evolution or type advantage, though.

There are two moves talked about in this riddle: one in lines 1 and 2, and one in lines 3 and 4. These moves have nothing to do with each other in battle, although they connect to similar ideas if you look at the big picture.

The second move referenced (lines 3 and 4) is one that both the subject and the friend have in common. This is the thing that the friend outshines the subject at when in the presence of the older ones. BTW, this does not refer to the move being used in battle. When used in battle, they both use the move just as effectively.

Line 5 has nothing to do with the games. Line 6 is just filler.

Hopefully this plethora of hints will be helpful.
    Last edited by {(•)___(•)}; 24th May 2013 at 3:45 AM.
    Friend Safari:
    My Shinies:
    My AtA Winners:

Page 77 of 142 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187127 ... LastLast