Thread: The Light of Day [Contestshipping, PG-13]

Default The Light of Day [Contestshipping, PG-13]

This is just a little one-shot I wrote, not centered around the show but fast-forwarding a few years into adulthood. I debated over the rating for a while (and even asked a mod what I should do) and settled on PG-13, for mild language and non-explicit sexuality. I'm not so sure about the ending (having never stayed with someone who cheated, I don't know what people do if they do stay), but whatever. I hope you enjoy! ^_^

The Light of Day (5 pages, 2,076 words)

"Would you believe me if I said I was sorry?" May wasn't sure if that was his desperation talking, his fear of watching her walk out the door, but when she turned to look at him, his face was the same blank mask it had been five minutes ago. Drew was usually a passionate fighter- it's what made their relationship so interesting, so dynamic, but it felt like they'd had this fight a million times since since the incident- she refused to acknowledge what it actually was, still disbelieving that Drew could behave in such a manner, but it was getting harder to ignore with each fight.

But now, looking at the bored, blank expression on Drew's face, May completely lost it.

"No!" she yelled, letting her purse, hoisted up on her shoulder, fall to the floor with a thump. "No, because what you did- to me, to us- without even so much as a hint of regret-"

"I regret it every day!" His voice rose in volume slightly, even jumping up a pitch. She wondered if maybe it was the accusation in her voice, like she was accusing him of caring so little, that had made him upset. "Every damn day, every time I look at you, I regret what I did. What more do you want from me?"

"Stop seeing her." The request came to her lips so quickly, it was like the short sentence had been waiting there for weeks, just itching to be spoken. And now it was out.

"She's my friend, May, I can't just-"

"Stop seeing her, or I'm leaving."

In retrospect, May knew it would come to this eventually. Ever since the incident, they had both been on edge, her more so than him, and their relationship had been balancing on the edge of a teetering knife, fighting about it but never really talking about it, each hiding behind a mask of feigned indifference. Except when something made her mad- when he forgot to put down the toilet seat, for instance, or left his dishes on the table- it always came back to this.

"May, it was nothing," Drew insisted, running a hand through his hair in aggravation. "She was nothing, I was just-"

"What, lonely?" May scoffed, shaking her head. "You have me, Drew. I'm your wife. What about our daughter?" Little Cassie, whom they'd sent to visit May's parents for summer vacation. At the rate Drew was going, May would be joining Cassie before long.

"May-

"I can't do this anymore," May whispered, turning her back to him and picking up her purse, grasping the doorknob. "I'm going to go stay with my parents. When you're ready to stop making excuses and man up, you know where to find me." She threw open the door, tugging her jacket around her as she stormed out into the rain.

It was a long, cold walk to the bus station, and she arrived just in time for the last bus of the night.

"What stop is Littleroot?" May asked tiredly, showing the driver her bus pass.

"Third," the driver drawled, dragging the lever to shut the door. "Right after the Oldale stop."

"Thanks." May meandered to the back of the bus, sliding across an empty seat to rest her head on the window as the bus rumbled away from the curb. Bus transportation was relatively new in Hoenn, a slower form of transportation than flying, but the slow pace gave her time to think, time to cool down before she reached her parents' house.

May didn't used to get this worked up over things. Honestly, she couldn't remember if she and Drew had ever fought before the incident. She'd been quick to anger, sure, but nothing they had ever argued about had turned into a full-blown screaming match. Even after the wedding, they'd managed to stay in their blissful bubble, arguing occasionally but never truly fighting.

Then Sarah had happened, and their marriage had gone to hell in a hand basket.

May had met the bubbly blonde at the art gallery downtown, their similar personalities making for an instant friendship. When Sarah had met Drew, they too had instantly hit it off, and maybe, in retrospect, May should have seen the incident coming.

It was raining that night, like it was tonight, but girls night was a bi-monthly tradition, Cassie was spending the night with a friend, and Drew had plans too. May had found it a little odd when Sarah backed out, but she said she had to be up early so May brushed it off, ignoring the niggling feeling in her gut that told her something was off.

She'd tried to have fun that night, she did, but her gut feeling wasn't going away, she knew something was wrong, so she told her friends she had a stomachache and was going home.

When she'd gotten there, the only light on in the house was the one in the bedroom, and even from the driveway, rain pounding heavily on the windshield, she could make out two figures silhouetted on the curtain- her husband, and someone else on their knees in front of him, head bobbing up and down.

It had hit her like a train then- her husband was cheating on her, and if her assumption was correct, the girl on her knees in front of him was Sarah.

May hadn't even bothered to turn the car off, leaving the door open in her haste. Her fingers had fumbled with the house key, and she'd dropped it three times before she managed to get it in the lock and turn it. Then she was up the stairs, throwing the door open, Sarah was crying and trying to cover herself up and Drew... Drew just stood there, not looking at her, not saying anything.

"Get out," May had growled at Sarah, ignoring her rushed, repeated, tearful apology, and didn't even give her time to get dressed before shoving her out the door. Then she had rounded on her husband, and...

"Stop three, Littleroot," the bus driver announced, dragging May back to the present. Getting unsteadily to her feet, May trudged down the aisle and got off the bus, watching the green vehicle speed off before crossing the street. Her hometown was small, just a cluster of houses and a lab, everything within walking distance of each other, and she could see the lights of her parents house from where she stood. She hurried through the rain, knocking once on the door to announce herself before barging in.

Her parents were sitting at the kitchen table talking quietly, but when she entered, conversation stopped.

"Cassie's sleeping," Caroline, her mother, whispered as she rose and crossed the room, pulling her only daughter into a tight hug. "Drew called. Are you all right?"

"No," May replied, her voice cracking. "No, Mom, I'm not okay." She burst into tears, clinging to her mother like she was the gravity holding her to Earth. And right now, she was.

It took three hours for May to calm down and be able to communicate to her mother what had happened. They already knew what Drew had done (and were not happy with their son-in-law), but they had thought they were doing better, sending Cassie to stay with them while May and Drew had tried to solve their problems. Clearly, that was not the case.

"He just keeps making excuses," May sniffled, wiping her eyes with her sleeve. "I think..." She took a deep breath, trying to fight back another round of tears. "I think this is it, Daddy. I think we're going to get a divorce."

"Honey..." Caroline pulled May into another hug, rubbing her back consolingly.

"I gave him an ultimatum," May mumbled into her mother's shoulder. "Me or her. I don't think he's going to choose m-" She jumped when there was a knock on the door.

"I'll get it," Norman said, rising. He left the room, and the women sat in silence waiting for him to return. Suddenly there was a crash that had both women scurrying to the front room.

"Daddy!" May squeaked. Her father had her husband pinned to the wall next to the door by the throat, his fist raised menacingly.

"You think it's okay for you to make my daughter cry and then just show up here when she made it clear she wants space?" Norman growled, tightening his grip on Drew's throat. His face was starting to turn purple.

"Daddy, let him go!" Norman glanced over at his distraught daughter, tear tracks still fresh on her cheeks, then back at her good-for-nothing husband.

"You're lucky my daughter still sees something good in you." He let the younger man go, stomping back to the kitchen.

"Are you okay?" May asked, rushing over to Drew, who was massaging his throat.

"Fine," he croaked, but he didn't look fine. Actually, he looked like hell. He was drenched, his hair disheveled, and if she looked closely, she could see scratch marks at his temples, like he'd been tugging violently at his hair. He glanced over May's shoulder at Caroline, who had her arms crossed over her chest and was glaring at him. "Ma'am, may I have a moment alone with your daughter?" Always the gentleman, except when he wasn't.

"Mom, it's okay," May assured her mother, who nodded curtly and went back to the kitchen.

None too gently, May grabbed Drew's shoulder and dragged him out onto the porch, shutting the door behind her.

"What are you doing here?" she demanded, turning to face her husband.

"Choosing," he replied, running a hand through his drenched hair. "I... I screwed up, May, I know that. I broke your trust in the worst possible way, and it just... It took you leaving to make me realize that I never want to see you walking away from me again. I love you, May, I love you and I know sorry won't ever be enough. But... Please, give me another cha-" He reeled back when May's palm connected with the side of his face. When he straightened, rubbing his stinging cheek, he couldn't help but chuckle. "I deserved that."

"Yes, you did," May snapped, crossing her arms over her chest. "You also deserve about a thousand more."

"I know, and I'd be happy to let you do that again and again until you're satisfied. I know what I did is inexcusable, May. Cheating on you like that..." And there it was, the word neither of them had been unable to say since the night she'd walked in on him and Sarah, the word they had refused to say. There it was, out in the open.

"You really hurt me," she whispered, shrugging his hands away when he tried to put them on her shoulders. "And then when you continued to see her-"

"I know, and I'm sorry. I can't say it enough," Drew responded, shoving his hands into his pockets. "Just... Think about it, okay? Come and find me when you're ready." He turned and walked off the porch, back into the pouring rain. He was almost to the car when he heard footsteps, and when he turned, May launched herself at him, wrapping her legs around his waist and crashing their lips together. When she drew back, her hair plastered to her face and her eyes, which had been so sad just moments ago, finally sparking with life, he knew there was a chance after all.

"We're going to have to work at this," she told him, blinking away the rain that dripped into her eyes. "Forgiveness doesn't come easy, and it's going to be especially hard to earn my trust back. But I'm willing to give it a shot if you are." She kissed him again, and then they were falling into the backseat like horny teenagers, and he knew this was a one-off and she'd be frigid tomorrow, but for now, he knew, they would both enjoy the rekindling of their romance.

At least until the light of day hit, when the rain disappeared to reveal sunny skies, when the high wore off and she remembered she was mad at him, the elation of him choosing her sinking back into sadness and anger.

May was right, it would be hard for him to earn her trust back. But Drew had never met anyone that was as worth it as she was.

Awww...I loved it! You did quite the job for a Contestshipping Oneshot. I suck at fully reviewing this, but anyways:

First off, I saw little wrong with your grammar and spelling. You did good there for a nice try.

Right, to the story. I do like how you introduced the storyline with an argument, and you did so damn well at hinting about what the incident actually was. You did good at getting me thinking about it.

Also, I couldn't help but laugh a little about May seeing the silhouettes...just my mind being rude there XD

I also enjoyed Norman's reaction to Drew appearing at the door...but don't kill him please!

When Drew and May made up to each other at the end, you did it in a nice romantic way, and I liked that as well (but I am a heeeelll of a ContestShipper).

I liked it all, and I look forward to seeing you do more with this...maybe a prequel of sorts, about how Drew and May's relationship started? But still, excellent oneshot.
    Yveltal, the Destruction Pokémon: "When its life comes to an end, it absorbs the life energy of every living thing and turns into a cocoon once more."

Spoiler:- Current Hunts:

Wow, what is with the overflow of cheating fics on here lately? It's always Drew cheating on May and her blowing up. You did great with the descriptions, but I DO believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that this was supposed to be a serious fic? Some parts of it were worded weirdly causing the reader to be kind of distracted from the whole thing.

I suppose since this was a one shot you couldn't really keep the reader guessing for too long and had to pour out the real incident, but I think you were a bit too telly and not so much showy. You were doing well I think until you reached that part. I think the ending was rushed a bit. The last line was nice, but the whole part was just a huge rush. Suddenly she's at her parents after leaving and she gave the situation basically no thought whatsoever and it was just a jumble. Oh well.
    ~Kat

Check out my Tumblr post for different accounts: http://katspearl.tumblr.com/post/320643625...ro-2-meeeeeeeee

I'm an optional author for the Fic Request Shop. I'm working on http://www.serebiiforums.com/showpos...&postcount=198 and http://www.serebiiforums.com/showpos...&postcount=293

CURRENTLY WORKING ON: Over the Edge and The Reality Show
    (Sorry, I don't know how to make a banner)

Also, to cure my writer's block, here's a two-shot: It's Better to Have Loved

~SNIIIIVYYY!!