Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: "Pokemon" pronunciation

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    I know what you mean. The first pronunciation (/`zɛkrɒm/) is the one with the "more elongated" sound ("-raahm", if you will), whereas the second pronunciation (/`zɛkrɔːm/) is the one with the "shorter", "less elongated sound ("-romm").

I guess what irks me isn't the pronunciation difference between people from the United States and people from pretty much everywhere else in the world, but rather the incessant bickering over which American dialect is "correct" (I'm talking about the Southern accent versus the accent that typically everybody else has).
    I love the fact that the main argument seems to be over which American dialect is the "correct" pronunciation, as opposed to it being an American VS English debate. I don't know enough about American accents to comment on the different dialects going on in different regions etc, but even in Britain you've got a lot of separate dialects - the London accent, the Somerset "farmer" accent, Welsh, Scottish, Cornish, Scouse, Manc, Liverpudlian, Brummie, etc. I don't know that many people who play Pokemon across the country but I'm pretty sure that all of them have their own ways of pronouncing Pokemon which we could never have even thought of.

I'd like to say that there are no correct ways to pronounce Pokemon names, but the sad truth is that there often is just one definitive way to pronounce a name, no matter what dialect you speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry View Post
    I'd like to say that there are no correct ways to pronounce Pokemon names, but the sad truth is that there often is just one definitive way to pronounce a name, no matter what dialect you speak.
    Fortunately, while there are correct ways to pronounce Pokémon names, the difference between "correctness" and "incorrectness" most of the time isn't a difference between dialects, but rather the difference between correct and incorrect handling of vowels and consonants within the same dialect. :P

For example, it was mentioned here that in one particular accent, "Bagon" was pronounced BAH-gon instead of BAY-gon, which is alright, but it's certainly not correct if it were pronounced bah-GOAN or something.

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

I say Bagon as - Bag-gon.
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Yuyama: "Yes, I thought it'd be better if it was a different Mewtwo."
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122