Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Unpopular opinions about Pokemon manga

^ She could? Crystal's team was only good for capturing. They weren't battlers at all.

I'm currently reading through volume 20 right now, and once again after reading Wally's chapters I'm even more annoyed how he isn't the third Hoenn dex holder. I once read someone say Wally's health would've prevented him from challenging the Battle Frontier or whatever. I'm sorry, but that kid climed up all fifty stories of the freaking Sky Pillar. If he could do that, I'm sure he would've had the endurance to handle anything the Battle Frontier sent his way.

Quote Originally Posted by Weedy Spyze View Post
    I'm currently reading through volume 20 right now, and once again after reading Wally's chapters I'm even more annoyed how he isn't the third Hoenn dex holder. I once read someone say Wally's health would've prevented him from challenging the Battle Frontier or whatever. I'm sorry, but that kid climed up all fifty stories of the freaking Sky Pillar. If he could do that, I'm sure he would've had the endurance to handle anything the Battle Frontier sent his way.
    Well, the Battle Tower is 70 stories high, but I still think Wally would make it. It's really a shame he didn't get to be a Pokédex Holder, but you know what? He can be considered to be one. Just like Yellow was even when she didn't have a Pokédex of her own. And just like Yellow, Wally used another person's Pokédex during his time of the adventure, so he can be assumed to be a Dex Holder, right? Maybe I'm going off-topic, but I didn't see anyone saying this, so it can be said to be an 'unpopular opinion', right?
    Last edited by TomNamikaze; 13th July 2012 at 2:48 AM.
    Fanfiction.Net account; DeviantArt account

Contact me here or in those sites to keep me motivated for this fic. Several chapters are already concluded, but there's still a LONG way to go. I want to be sure I'll finish this thing before I start publishing it.

Spoiler:- http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/355/f/f/my_pokemon_teams_by_tomnamikaze-d6y3n4h.png:

If you don't have a name that's the name of a game, you're not a Dex Holder.

Wally implied it. Cheren and Bianca confirmed it.

Quote Originally Posted by lolipiece View Post

I don't know much about the BW arc, but I know that Cheren's and Bianca's Dexes were broken. How does that confirm anything? I'm sorry, but unless you tell something I don't know, you'll not convince me.

Contact me here or in those sites to keep me motivated for this fic. Several chapters are already concluded, but there's still a LONG way to go. I want to be sure I'll finish this thing before I start publishing it.

Spoiler:- http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/355/f/f/my_pokemon_teams_by_tomnamikaze-d6y3n4h.png:

I fail to see how Cheren and Bianca confirm that, seeing as how they technically "hold" Pokedexes even if they're currently broken. If and when they do get fixed, they'll still go to Bianca and Cheren, unless Juniper wants to be a jerk and give something that's rightfully their's to White or something. In which case I'm starting the next petition to strip Emerald of his dex and giving it back to Wally. Kidding maybe...

The game name tradition needs to be done away with, anyway. How's that for an unpopular opinion? The idea that your role and overall importance to the storyline can be diminished because you're not priveliged with a game name really sounds totally obnoxious tbh. Poor Bianca and Cheren.

^ Well, maybe something can happen that the Pokédex is given to White, but until then, Cheren and Bianca are Pokédex Holders. Not only that, Cheren and Bianca are two people with a Pokédex each, White is just one person, there's still one Pokédex left (though it will probably be given to the Rival in BW2). Anyway, it doesn't change the fact that they had the Pokédexes in their posession and were their rightful owners.
    And I don't see why does Wally have to receive different treatment than Yellow just because he's not named after a game. A character is a character, it doesn't matter which name they have.
    Oh, and the name of the shipping you were talking about is GracefulShipping. It's actually quite popular, because of the paralelism with Ruby and Sapphire.
    Last edited by TomNamikaze; 13th July 2012 at 4:32 AM.

^ I never really thought about it that way, but I guess you could say that to include Wally as a 'Pokedex holder.' He was for a time, anyway, you can't argue that at all. Even though Yellow now has that piece of crap first gen Pokedex. Still, I would've preferred it if Wally was just the official owner of that Pokedex, bar none. I don't really understand why Professor Oak registered Emerald as the owner of that Pokedex before he had 'proven' himself anyway, or why he would give three Pokedexes to Birch when one of them already had an owner. I have a few more beefs with that part of the backstory, but that's another story for another day. I'll wait until I re-read the Emerald arc before I get into it, to make sure I'm not missing any important plot points.

Oh and I completely agree about the name thing.

GracefulShipping, huh? Yeah I think it's a pairing that works well. Even though apparently it didn't work well in-story. ha

Oh man, oh man. It'll be too easy to go all out, but I don't think I should. I don't want to create too many walls of text....

I agree with everyone else that GSC arc sucked. It had some good ideas in them, but all those ideas are horribly written and mashed together (I'm guessing due to the lack of time). It's like Digimon Adventure 02.

Quote Originally Posted by pika09 View Post
    Well, this is gonna be fun.

My opinions:
    1. I don't like the RS arc. At all. I never ever liked Ruby. It's something about his character, I guess. I absolutely prefer Sapphire more than him.
    2. The Yellow arc was bland and uninteresting. I'm sorry but I do not quite understand Yellow's popularity.
    3. Am I the only one who doesn't like the BW arc?
    #2: I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that disliked the Yellow arc. I never understood how people like the Yellow arc or the character, who is easily one of the worse characters in PokeSpe. The Y arc is the arc I hate the most; what a waste of an arc.

#3: I say give it time for the volumes to come out. May I ask why you don't like it?

But in Adventures, they made him too much of a sociopath and got rid of his naievity and somewhat childish charm, and just went with the 'creepy' aspect of his character, making him somewhat one-dimensional.

A lot of this has to do with people's desire to pair her with Red, which I hate and never do I want to see that pairing made canon. In fact, I think Yellow's character should just be retired entirely. Her storyline is finished, and I can't see her being relevant for the plot ever again without it feeling somewhat contrived (like her role in releasing the legendary beasts in GSC).
    That actually makes me more interested in N. We don't have enough actually creepy characters that aren't completely "evil". But, I'll withhold judgement until I read how he's written.

That may be one of the only things we will ever completely agree with. I can't fathom how that pairing will ever be interesting. I would be pretty pissed if it became canon. (Calling it: she'll be the important piece to defeat Saque and it'll bring her out of retirement.)

As for Mitsuru, I can see why he didn't become a Dexholder (he was created before Emerald was released, I think?), but it's still a dang shame. He's one of the less than five best written characters Kusaka has done and I was way more interested in seeing him grow than hear Emerald's woes.
    Last edited by Evilchibi_pichu; 13th July 2012 at 5:42 AM.
    90% of pokemon fans hate/dislike Pikachu, if you are one of the 10% who don't, copy and paste this in your signature (started by Rukario907)
    ~Treasure Fighter (Kiyomaro's Theme)~ and Fuji Syuusuke ~Claimed

My Journey Log of Pokemon White
    Warning: General jerkiness and sarcasm abound. Of course, spoilers as well.

My reasons for hating the Ruby & Sapphire chapter only grow after seeing that damn popular vote thing.

Me: It sucked. It tried to turn Adventures into something it's not: a violent brawl full of death. And that goddamn Celebi. Ruined it. Ruined everything about it.

Internet: But Ruby and Sapphire are in wuv! So that makes it OK!

Me: ............................

GOD, I hate shipping.

1.I hate Ruby absolutely hate Ruby but love sapphire wild girls are my type
    2.I dont like some of their teams(gold,black,diamond)
    3.Mask or ice was unexpected but he had no real evil purpose and i have to say something has to be mentally wrong with you fi you enslaved children for many years just to get celebi to prevent your lapras from dieing wtf.In short he was no villain just a nutjob.
    4.Why didnt gold battle gyms
    5.in the HG/SS arc why does it follow game logic seriously how on earth did the executives even control arceus
    6.I just dont like emerald he weird
    7.I like pie
    8.There are so many wtfs in adventures involving legendaries:
    how did pikachu defeat lugia
    how did mere starters beat legendaries
    Team X:

I got a good one.

I pretty much think fans put the manga in too much regard while treating the anime as the inferior product. Don't get me wrong. But I think both media have their respective ups and downs that shouldn't be ignored. Yes, the anime is dull and is still running with a forever ten year old kid. But the manga can make plot twists that are just... outright ridiculous. Like the end of the R/S/E arc and meh reveal at the Battle Frontier arc. That and using the PokeDex in the manga to make the heroes "special." In essence... It's just like every other manga out there. It ain't perfect. Like everything else, it has flaws.

I glad that someone made the comparison but the second chapter can be compared to Digimon Adventure 02. I do like RS it presented some decent ideas and or characters but the deus ex machina ruined all the it had built up to. Lastly, the HGSS arc from what I heard is a bit rushed but then again I haven't read it yet.

3DS XL Friend Code: 2036-7872-1965
    .:: deviantART | Tumblr | Hummingbird | YouTube ::.

I'm happy to see all of the responses so far. In regards to the BW chapter, I really don't know what's popular and what's not when it comes to that arc, because I hardly ever see it discussed on the internet. I will say though that I don't really like N's portrayal in the manga, however. Don't get me wrong, he is an excellent character in the games. Probably the best character in the franchise when it comes to background and development. But in Adventures, they made him too much of a sociopath and got rid of his naievity and somewhat childish charm, and just went with the 'creepy' aspect of his character, making him somewhat one-dimensional. Not to mention in his first appearance he curbstomped Black in battle, and from what I've read (I haven't gotten the new volume yet) Gigi chose to go with N because he'd help her realize her battle potential.

-I like how Adventures has so many different main characters and so many different story arcs. I like how after one character's story ends, a new character's story begins. It keeps things fresh and exciting. I also don't really care if a story arc has callbacks to a previous one, either. It's nice to see the older heroes make cameos every now and then (for the most part), but at the end of the day I think they're irrelevant. The R/S, D/P, and B/W arcs all stand perfectly fine on their own two feet without callbacks to previous adventures. They are not needed.
    -For the most part, I find myself liking newer manga characters more than older ones. Of the first two generation dexholders, the only ones I'm really a fan of are Red and Gold. Whereas I love the entire Sinnoh dex trio, as well as both Black and White. I like all five of them much more than any of the other Kanto/Johto dex holders. To be honest, I find most of the older guys uninteresting. I find that Kusaka has done a much better job of flashing out character personalities and development as time has gone on (getting better as a writer, in other words), and some of the older characters just got the short end of the stick with one-dimensional personalities. Like Blue and Crystal. They're boring. What's to them other than being "serious" and Crystal's capture shtick?
    -The Diamond & Pearl arc was fantastic from beginning to end. The Sinnoh trio were all charming and entertaining in their own ways, and they all had wonderful chemistry with each other. I'm glad that we finally had the dexholders travelling together for once, and I think it's maddening how it took four generations for the manga to do that. It allowed for much more character development and interactions, something I love to see in the manga. And the silliness and general lightheartedness of the earlier rounds in the arc never failed to put a smile on my face. It was just fun to read. The manga doesn't have to be all serious all the time, you know.
    -I also think Yellow is overrated as a character to some degree. I don't dislike her, but do I think she merits a lot of her popularity? No. A lot of this has to do with people's desire to pair her with Red, which I hate and never do I want to see that pairing made canon. In fact, I think Yellow's character should just be retired entirely. Her storyline is finished, and I can't see her being relevant for the plot ever again without it feeling somewhat contrived (like her role in releasing the legendary beasts in GSC).
    -Speaking of pairings, or shippings as the fanbase likes to call them, I do not like most of the more popular ones, like the Gold/Crystal pairing. I cannot see why either of them would be willing to spend the rest of their days with the other one, their personalities are way too different. They have no compatibility. Thank god this pairing could not be more unofficial.
    Couldn't agree more xD. But about N he is really great written character there. Kusaka written him as an Pure Idealist being serious about it and try to make him as awesome as possible according to him. It is just I can't see why people hate him / disgusted with him. And Who thinks that it isa way too weird that Crystal is Prof Oak Assistant. She is better with Prof Elm if you ask me.

8.There are so many wtfs in adventures involving legendaries:
    how did pikachu defeat lugia
    how did mere starters beat legendaries
    That's because it is a shonen manga. Everything is possible if you have enough WillPower

And I think Yamamoto just way too liked Crystal so much (I can see why he didn't put Lyra, He is Crystal Old Fan. Don't believe me? See it at Yamamoto's Twitter thread). And who thinks that HGSS chapter is way too rushed in Magazine because I hope that it would be as epic as FRLG did. God that chapter was way too epic
    Last edited by Ludger; 13th July 2012 at 10:46 AM.
    Credit for Spockisnotimpressed's Tumblr

If you think the world should be a better place for everyone put this in you sig. (started by Mewmie the shiny Mew)

^ She could? Crystal's team was only good for capturing. They weren't battlers at all.
    Um, yeah. They BATTLED the Pokemon they CAPTURED.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

^ Yeah, but what he meant was they were trained to capture other Pokémon not to beat them in battle. The techniques and strategies Crystal trained them are to capture Pokémon, not to beat them.

Pokemon SP unlike Digimon 02.

Digimon 02 split up the original paired,

and set up an illogical 25 years after the outcome......

Quote Originally Posted by Fake Psychic View Post
    And I think Yamamoto just way too liked Crystal so much (I can see why he didn't put Lyra, He is Crystal Old Fan. Don't believe me? See it at Yamamoto's Twitter thread). And who thinks that HGSS chapter is way too rushed in Magazine because I hope that it would be as epic as FRLG did. God that chapter was way too epic
    Crys whether replaced Lyra is decision by Kusaka......

Quote Originally Posted by Evilchibi_pichu View Post
    I agree with everyone else that GSC arc sucked. It had some good ideas in them, but all those ideas are horribly written and mashed together (I'm guessing due to the lack of time). It's like Digimon Adventure 02.

That actually makes me more interested in N. We don't have enough actually creepy characters that aren't completely "evil". But, I'll withhold judgement until I read how he's written.

That may be one of the only things we will ever completely agree with. I can't fathom how that pairing will ever be interesting. I would be pretty pissed if it became canon. (Calling it: she'll be the important piece to defeat Saque and it'll bring her out of retirement.)

As for Mitsuru, I can see why he didn't become a Dexholder (he was created before Emerald was released, I think?), but it's still a dang shame. He's one of the less than five best written characters Kusaka has done and I was way more interested in seeing him grow than hear Emerald's woes.
    Oh my god, yes. It's exactly like Digimon Adventure 02. Silver and Ken were also almost completely the same character. :|

I don't think it makes him more interesting--on the contrary, I think it makes him less interesting. In the games, N was somewhat of a unique character (as far as Pokemon goes anyway). He was a strange little fellow who talked super fast, claimed he could understand Pokemon's words, disliked battling, and even wanted to be friends with the protagonist. In the manga, I feel like they got rid of most of that uniqueness and just turned him into another card-carrying villain. I just...don't like it. Like I said, the manga's free to change characterizations or whatever as they see fit, but N is just someone I think they should've left alone.

Oh, I can't either. Yellow should've just stayed a boy if you ask me. Every time I see that ponytail, for some reason she just becomes even less interesting to me.

Yeah he was, but apparently the original plan was to make him the dexholder, but at some point it was decided he wouldn't "fit" as the dexholder or whatever so Emerald was created. Even though Wally fit perfectly as the third Hoenn dexholder and Emerald stands out like an unwanted stepchild. I don't understand their logic, especially after already giving Wally so much foreshadowing and development during the Sky Pillar mini arc, but eh. And yeah Emerald's problems weren't interesting to me, either. Actually, they made him seem like even more of a brat.

My reasons for hating the Ruby & Sapphire chapter only grow after seeing that damn popular vote thing.

Me: It sucked. It tried to turn Adventures into something it's not: a violent brawl full of death. And that goddamn Celebi. Ruined it. Ruined everything about it.

Internet: But Ruby and Sapphire are in wuv! So that makes it OK!

Me: ............................

GOD, I hate shipping.
    Well, that's a pretty ignorant generalization. I personally couldn't care less if Ruby and Sapphire are in "luv," yet R/S is one of my favorite arcs. U mad?

I will agree though that the battling did seem to be a bit much during the climax, but at the same time I liked it, because it added to the extremity of the situation and made it more exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythicalzoe View Post
    4.Why didnt gold battle gyms
    Something else I agree with. It bugged me how nobody challenged the gyms in the GSC arc. You could say that Suicune was meant as a replacement for them...except Suicune's story was uninteresting, so it was a bad replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Fake Psychic View Post
    Couldn't agree more xD. But about N he is really great written character there. Kusaka written him as an Pure Idealist being serious about it and try to make him as awesome as possible according to him. It is just I can't see why people hate him / disgusted with him. And Who thinks that it isa way too weird that Crystal is Prof Oak Assistant. She is better with Prof Elm if you ask me.
    I don't HATE N, in fact in the games he's one of my favorite characters. I just don't like the way he's being portrayed in the manga. It just seems like a step backwards from his game personality to me.

And well, Professor Oak was the one who gave Crystal the Pokedex and the capturing job, so it makes more sense for her to be his assitant rather than Elm, whom she never really associated with at all. Besides, Elm already had an assitant--Joey.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Um, yeah. They BATTLED the Pokemon they CAPTURED.
    Battling and capturing wild pokemon is not the same as battling trainers. In a straight up brawl with another trainer who focuses on battling, Crystal would lose. She just wasn't a battler. She was a capture specialist and apparently now a researcher.
    Last edited by Weedy Spyze; 13th July 2012 at 2:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomNamikaze View Post
    ^ Yeah, but what he meant was they were trained to capture other Pokémon not to beat them in battle. The techniques and strategies Crystal trained them are to capture Pokémon, not to beat them.
    So she's not a good battler? Even if she wasn't capturing Pokemon, I don't believe she's bad at Trainer battles. At least, nothing indicates that.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

So she's not a good battler? Even if she wasn't capturing Pokemon, I don't believe she's bad at Trainer battles. At least, nothing indicates that.
    Yes, she has a spot reaction.

She even confront Victreebel (I think Red......)

She lost in the first round of the dex holder tournament. I would give more examples, but I can't recall any other time Crystal fought another trainer. Except when she and Gold held off Archie so the Hoenn trio could learn the quote "ultimate moves," where they both were defeated pretty easily while Emerald was wasting time babbling about his "tragic" backstory. Crystal's just not interested that much in battling, and why should she be? Catching and researching Pokemon is what she does.

^ Well, Emerald won that tournament. So, that competition doesn't fit as good judging material. I mean, how could Emerald win against Red or Green? They're the strongest trainers around, if Emerald managed to reach the final (which means that he didn't encounter them in the way) he would be trashed by either Red or Green (their power seemed to be even in FRLG, as they had a draw in their fight for the Ultimate Moves).

Anyway, that doesn't change the fact that Crystal isn't cut out for battling. She trained her Pokémon for capture during her whole life, it's pretty safe to assume they wouldn't be fit for battling.
    Last edited by TomNamikaze; 13th July 2012 at 9:50 PM.

Lol the whole "Red and Blue are unbeatable!" crap is bs. People over-glorify those two way too much. Oh, I guess that counts as an unpopular opinion. I mean Emerald, as much as I don't like him, was always shown to be an extremely competent battler. He did manage to complete three of the Battle Frontier facilities' complete challenges, after all. Are you telling me there's no way he could've taken Red or Blue on in the finals and won with all of the battle skills he demonstrated? Bull. Red and Blue aren't untouchable battle gods, I think there's definitely a couple other Pokedex owners who could hold their on in a battle with them. Not to mention Red/Blue had just gotten over being petrified for two/three months, they obviously couldn't have been on their a-game anyway.

Wow, I just defended how my most disliked character could've beaten my favorite character in a battle. That feels strange.

OOH, ooo, mimimimi!
    -That the FRLG arc is awesome. I'm sorry, but in my opinion, it is. Most people say it was bland and that it was not needed. Granted, I did feel that it was not needed, but it still kicked ***. It had a perfect blend of dark stuff, action and plot. In the RS arc, the darkness ruled all. It got a bit hard to read sometimes. Darker than GlaDOS... Anyway, I thought the chemistry between Red and Blue (gal) was the best part of the story. They kick butt together :33333333 But still I thought it was epic as hell.

-Yellow sucks donkey balls. She's a Mary Sue, she's bland, and she's paired with Red. And her arc equally sucked donkey balls. Nuff said.
    "It's not who I am inside, but what I do that defines me."- Batman. Started by GreatGonzales

I just got done reading the FRLG arc, actually. I don't think it was bland or anything (well maybe a little bit), and it was enjoyable. And it also gave my favorite character, Red, some very nice development. I absolutely loved watching him have that little episode where he was easily defeated, his spirit was crushed, and he doesn't want to fight on. It made me feel all giddy inside.

And I have to say, I thought the ending was perfect. I don't really care for Sird's current schemes in the manga, but the way she showed up at the very end where everyone thought the day was saved and turned all of our heroes into STONE was amazing. I loved it. Yay for downer endings!

(I would've loved it even more if Wally had been the one to save them, but oh well.)
    Last edited by Weedy Spyze; 13th July 2012 at 11:07 PM.

Don't you agree though, that the RS arc was very, wery dark at times. The FRLG arc had the perfect amount of dark, and that's what i love about it :333
    And yeah, romance linked from childhood trauma: Not a fan. *Koff koff*Choosenshipping*koffkoff*FranticShipping*koff koffkoff*
    "It's not who I am inside, but what I do that defines me."- Batman. Started by GreatGonzales

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast