Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
Results 226 to 250 of 587

Thread: Unpopular opinions about Pokemon manga

  1. #226
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    A place far away
    Posts
    1,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    N in PokeSpe isn't bad but I mostly don't like how unexpressive he is outside of a small smile.
    We should blame Ghetsis for that. As for another unpopular opinion.
    It would have been better if Kusaka rewrote the whole HGSS arc. It didn't make much sense and using Celebi for the 3rd time as deus ex machina is getting too old and this time the deus ex machina was very useless. Giovanni could have Googled a cure for his disease and Pichu was even more pointless. Kusaka could have come up with something better than that.

  2. #227
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamingflower View Post
    We should blame Ghetsis for that. As for another unpopular opinion.
    It would have been better if Kusaka rewrote the whole HGSS arc. It didn't make much sense and using Celebi for the 3rd time as deus ex machina is getting too old and this time the deus ex machina was very useless. Giovanni could have Googled a cure for his disease and Pichu was even more pointless. Kusaka could have come up with something better than that.
    You realize what an unpopular opinion is right? I'm afraid more people than you'd expect would agree with you.

  3. #228
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Outskirt Stand
    Posts
    1,233

    Default

    There lies the problem the authors must meet the deadlines and such set by each of the new games. They are on a metaphorical leash.


    3DS XL Friend Code: 2036-7872-1965
    .:: deviantART | Tumblr | Hummingbird | YouTube ::.


  4. #229
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    100

    Default

    My unpopular opinion: The romance in the Ruby and Sapphire arc should not have been there. They are eleven. They are too young.

  5. #230

    Default

    Idk. They're already doing things that are way beyond their maturity levels what with the whole "saving the world" part.

    Though related to that, another unpopular opinion I have is that Magical Pokemon Journey really shouldn't be considered a romance comic. Sure it follows Hazel's attempts to snare Almond, but it's also not the point. It's really a "slice of life" series, and shows a very fascinating side of the Pokemon world.
    The world's greatest collector as drawn by Yoru Ryu
    Fancy Jirarudan too? Then you'll enjoy my fic Obsession! (updated June 29th, 2014)
    Or better yet, join my LJ comm Ware Wa Collector!
    Check out some of my other fics!
    Answering Machine (strong XY spoilers--winner of Most Heartbreaking Scene 2013!)

  6. #231
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trutown View Post
    My unpopular opinion: The romance in the Ruby and Sapphire arc should not have been there. They are eleven. They are too young.
    You mean like how they're eleven and saved the world in addition to being clever and resourceful for their age. Seriously, they must have (had) the best parents ever.

  7. #232
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    You mean like how they're eleven and saved the world in addition to being clever and resourceful for their age. Seriously, they must have (had) the best parents ever.
    What are they going to do? Date for seven years until they are legally old enough to marry? I would understand if they were to have an on and off relationship, but we will never see it so there is no way we will actually believe it (show don't tell).

  8. #233
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trutown View Post
    What are they going to do? Date for seven years until they are legally old enough to marry? I would understand if they were to have an on and off relationship, but we will never see it so there is no way we will actually believe it (show don't tell).
    How do we know what the legal age for marriage in Pokemon Special is? Hell, Takashi Shudo said that ten year olds in the Anime can marry (in the novelizations by him). It's practically non-canon but he was likely considering it.

    I'm just saying that the Pokemon world isn't like ours. No duh, Sherlock.

    I do agree on the "show don't tell" thing.

  9. #234
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Outskirt Stand
    Posts
    1,233

    Default

    He also said the ten years old had the ability to live on the own and make a life for themselves in his early notes. The best explanation really for all of this is, that it's Pokemon.


    3DS XL Friend Code: 2036-7872-1965
    .:: deviantART | Tumblr | Hummingbird | YouTube ::.


  10. #235
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    How do we know what the legal age for marriage in Pokemon Special is? Hell, Takashi Shudo said that ten year olds in the Anime can marry (in the novelizations by him). It's practically non-canon but he was likely considering it.

    I'm just saying that the Pokemon world isn't like ours. No duh, Sherlock.

    I do agree on the "show don't tell" thing.
    I based my numbers on the legal minimum age for marriage in Japan. It is 18 for boys and 16 for girls with parental consent. Without parental consent, the age is 20. Since the land masses that the Dex Holders live on are based on Japan (with the exception of Unova), I went with the minimum age in the country that the regions are based on.

    I would like to know what novelization you are talking about. It would be nice to have something to destroy and nitpick for the hell of it. Getting married at the age of ten sounds stupid. The human mind isn't even fully developed until the age of 21.

  11. #236
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Unova, NY
    Posts
    6,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trutown View Post
    I based my numbers on the legal minimum age for marriage in Japan. It is 18 for boys and 16 for girls with parental consent. Without parental consent, the age is 20. Since the land masses that the Dex Holders live on are based on Japan (with the exception of Unova), I went with the minimum age in the country that the regions are based on.
    Makes sense. But just because they're based on Japan doesn't make them actually Japan. (At least not past gen II, where real world references were stopped being made.)

    I would like to know what novelization you are talking about. It would be nice to have something to destroy and nitpick for the hell of it. Getting marrie[quod at the age of ten sounds stupid. The human mind isn't even fully developed until the age of 21.
    Here. (Thank goodness none of this crap is actually canon. Marrying, paying taxes at 10? What kind of sick world is this place?

  12. #237
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Kinda minor but I don't like how no Dexholder managed to win all the Super Contest ribbons. In the manga, ribbons are treated like badges (so are symbols and kinda medals) and stuff like that are always collected by at least one Dexholder in full so I didn't like how the Super Contest ribbons got the cold shoulder.

    Quote Originally Posted by lolipiece View Post
    Here. (Thank goodness none of this crap is actually canon. Marrying, paying taxes at 10? What kind of sick world is this place?
    Sick in the Pokemon world? Heck, 10-year olds are allowed to go off on journeys fighting monsters and battling criminals without parental guidance. Heck, FIVE year olds are seen on Pokemon journeys without adult supervision (basing this off of trainers like Tubers, School Kids and even Preschoolers like in BW and twins). If kids that young are allowed to do stuff like this that real-life Americans can't do until they're at least 18, then I wouldn't be surprised if the Pokemon world consider 10-year olds adults.
    Last edited by Macromind101; 2nd February 2013 at 12:39 AM.

  13. #238
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lolipiece View Post
    Makes sense. But just because they're based on Japan doesn't make them actually Japan. (At least not past gen II, where real world references were stopped being made.)



    Here. (Thank goodness none of this crap is actually canon. Marrying, paying taxes at 10? What kind of sick world is this place?
    While it is based on the anime and not on the manga and is therefore not canon in the continuity we are talking about, I am so glad that barely anyone knows about this. That was even worse than the whole of Volume 43, second only to the Mass Effect 3 ending really.

    And now I'm questioning whether or not I'm truly over that whole thing. Thanks for that Takashi Shudo, you just ruined the rest of my night.

  14. #239
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    Let's all agree on one undeniable fact: the Pokemon world is weird, weird, weird.

  15. #240
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    100

    Default

    I can suspend my disbelief for a lot of things, but the whole "a full adult in the eyes of the law at the age of ten" is stupid. The only universe where it works is in Mass Effect with the Salarian race. They have a faster metabolism and therefore age more quickly. The average life expectancy for them is the age of forty, so therefore they age and get intelligent more quickly to make up for the sort lifespans. In Mass Effect 2 we find out that Mordin Solus' nephew is 16 and getting his tenure at a major university. This makes sense for the Salarians. For humans, even in a whole different universe like Pokemon, this would not make sense. We live to 80 on average, not 40. We age twice as long as Mass Effect's Salarians.

    Great, Pokemon made me think of Mass Effect again. You've got to be kidding me.

  16. #241
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    ^I'm starting to love this guy.

    No Homo.

  17. #242
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Outskirt Stand
    Posts
    1,233

    Default

    ^I am inclined to make a Yu-gi-oh Abridged reference but I won't.

    Anyways, I felt that the world that Shudo Takeshi envisioned at least makes more sense than the one we have now and even Special.


    3DS XL Friend Code: 2036-7872-1965
    .:: deviantART | Tumblr | Hummingbird | YouTube ::.


  18. #243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lolipiece View Post
    Makes sense. But just because they're based on Japan doesn't make them actually Japan. (At least not past gen II, where real world references were stopped being made.)
    There've been plenty of real world references since then.

    Also my big quibble with Shudo's worldview is his thing about pokemon suddenly popping into existence in recent history. Even in PokeWake, where the first chapter has humans encountering pokemon only about ten years pre-game (something that's contradicted elsewhere in the same series, with another chapter having them being very well-known and commonplace somewhere around 30 years ago, but Pokewake is basically a series of short stories and may not have an overarching canon), pokemon have still BEEN there. Besides, it goes against the games, where pokemon have existed on earth for at least 100 million years and have existed elsewhere since the beginning of the universe and probably before. Even the games out at the time he wrote that had them around the Mesozoic era.

    But I guess this is supposed to be about manga stuff, huh.

    Anyway, ok. My unpopular opinion again--Phantom Thief 7 would work better as a side game than a manga. It would make a good platformer, I think.
    The world's greatest collector as drawn by Yoru Ryu
    Fancy Jirarudan too? Then you'll enjoy my fic Obsession! (updated June 29th, 2014)
    Or better yet, join my LJ comm Ware Wa Collector!
    Check out some of my other fics!
    Answering Machine (strong XY spoilers--winner of Most Heartbreaking Scene 2013!)

  19. #244
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lolipiece View Post
    Makes sense. But just because they're based on Japan doesn't make them actually Japan. (At least not past gen II, where real world references were stopped being made.)

    Here. (Thank goodness none of this crap is actually canon. Marrying, paying taxes at 10? What kind of sick world is this place?
    I only know that Platinum is not Japanese, and Berlitz family exist more than 200 years in Sinnoh. lol

  20. #245
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Outskirt Stand
    Posts
    1,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Gabbiani View Post
    There've been plenty of real world references since then.

    Also my big quibble with Shudo's worldview is his thing about pokemon suddenly popping into existence in recent history. Even in PokeWake, where the first chapter has humans encountering pokemon only about ten years pre-game (something that's contradicted elsewhere in the same series, with another chapter having them being very well-known and commonplace somewhere around 30 years ago, but Pokewake is basically a series of short stories and may not have an overarching canon), pokemon have still BEEN there. Besides, it goes against the games, where pokemon have existed on earth for at least 100 million years and have existed elsewhere since the beginning of the universe and probably before. Even the games out at the time he wrote that had them around the Mesozoic era.

    But I guess this is supposed to be about manga stuff, huh.

    Anyway, ok. My unpopular opinion again--Phantom Thief 7 would work better as a side game than a manga. It would make a good platformer, I think.
    The idea was still in its infancy and hardly any of them actually made into the anime but they were interesting nonetheless despite the fact that they barely make any sense.


    3DS XL Friend Code: 2036-7872-1965
    .:: deviantART | Tumblr | Hummingbird | YouTube ::.


  21. #246
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamingflower View Post
    Giovanni could have Googled a cure for his disease.
    Hehe, who needs a random legendary Pokemon? Google is way more convenient than that nonsense.

    Also, lol @ that marrying and paying taxes at age 10 discussion on the last page. I missed this thread.

  22. #247
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weedy Spyze View Post
    Hehe, who needs a random legendary Pokemon? Google is way more convenient than that nonsense.
    The Pokemon world doesn't seem to have the internet widely used as we do. On the plus side, it explains why everyone is in good shape and health.

  23. #248
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    The Pokemon world doesn't seem to have the internet widely used as we do. On the plus side, it explains why everyone is in good shape and health.
    I do not know why I suddenly thought how Gabby & Ty to find the information about Team Aqua...... lol
    Last edited by e9310103838; 3rd February 2013 at 11:49 PM.

  24. #249
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    The Pokemon world doesn't seem to have the internet widely used as we do. On the plus side, it explains why everyone is in good shape and health.
    True, but now I can't help but imagine what Professor Oak's reaction would be if he ever came across Bulbapedia lmao.

  25. #250
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    A place far away
    Posts
    1,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weedy Spyze View Post
    True, but now I can't help but imagine what Professor Oak's reaction would be if he ever came across Bulbapedia lmao.
    Maybe he'd sue them for stealing his research and adding things that he thinks are untrue.

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •