Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Unpopular opinions about Pokemon manga

Since we're talking about Crystal, did she get any new Pokemon in HGSS? If she didn't then I count that as a unpopular opinion. Crystal should have gotten some new Pokemon. I do like the character, I think she is very underrated and the only thing going for her is Mangaquestshipping in terms of popularity but man she should have gotten new Pokemon in HGSS. Oh well.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    Since we're talking about Crystal, did she get any new Pokemon in HGSS? If she didn't then I count that as a unpopular opinion. Crystal should have gotten some new Pokemon. I do like the character, I think she is very underrated and the only thing going for her is Mangaquestshipping in terms of popularity but man she should have gotten new Pokemon in HGSS. Oh well.
    Not that I recall. HGSS was a missed opportunity in my opinion to give her a character arc and turn her brick character into some molded clay.

And what Pokemon could she have gotten? The only Pokemon she has that can evolve are Chumee and Bonee, and those aren't really important.

Kusaka said he want to write a story of Crys travel to Unova and use Sigilyph to explore the region .

Quote Originally Posted by arawn View Post
    Kusaka said he want to write a story of Crys travel to Unova and use Sigilyph to explore the region .
    Is that true?

Because that sounds like the "her symbol is a star" mistake again.

Quote Originally Posted by arawn View Post
    Crys exploring Unova? I did heard about the Sigilyph, but no Unova. I also heart Kusaka said something about a vol or few chapter about Crys, but that's all. I don't remember where I read it though...

@Weedy Spyze

Hey, by "stereotype," don't you mean "archetype?"

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    @Weedy Spyze

Hey, by "stereotype," don't you mean "archetype?"
    In character analysis, they are pretty much the same thing. An archetype is a generic version of a personality in literature analysis. His point still stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Trutown View Post
    In character analysis, they are pretty much the same thing. An archetype is a generic version of a personality in literature analysis. His point still stands.
    I still find Archetype to be the more appropriate term.

I think PokeSpe is a tad overrated (because I can barely find threads on some of my favourite one-shot mangas :3 ) and I think some of their character development is a bit...interesting (Yellow being a big offender for me.)
    Is this thread limited to just PokeSpe? If not, then....
    My favourite manga at the moment is: Pocket Monsters Emerald Chosun Battle Frontier. Purely because:
    1. I'm a fan of the Hoenn Battle Frontier.
    2. IMO the best rendition (in terms of personalities) of the frontier brains, yes, all three of them XD
    3. And I'm a sucker for anything that Anabel is in (not to mention this my favourite art syle of her, and the other brains.)

Quote Originally Posted by DrFoster View Post
    I think PokeSpe is a tad overrated (because I can barely find threads on some of my favourite one-shot mangas :3 ) and I think some of their character development is a bit...interesting (Yellow being a big offender for me.)
    Is this thread limited to just PokeSpe? If not, then....
    My favourite manga at the moment is: Pocket Monsters Emerald Chosun Battle Frontier. Purely because:
    1. I'm a fan of the Hoenn Battle Frontier.
    2. IMO the best rendition (in terms of personalities) of the frontier brains, yes, all three of them XD
    3. And I'm a sucker for anything that Anabel is in (not to mention this my favourite art syle of her, and the other brains.)
    Read the topic and the first. It counts for different Pokemon manga, but not if it's about what you like about them. Also the reason most peopel talk about Pokespecial, because most of the people have read it. If you want a discussion treat about a Pokemon one-shot manga that you like make it yourself.

Anyway I also think most of the female characters need more character development. Especially Platinum, Crys and Yellow.

I agree that Crystal could use some character development, but Platinum and Yellow? The Platinum in the DP arc and the Platinum in the Platinum arc almost feel like two different people minus the manner on how she speaks. She lost her bratty, haughty character traits and instead of being so private she expresses herself to strangers now. Yellow didn't go through to much character development but I thought it was good enough to see how she's progressed. She does battle now compared to not willing to fight in the early half of Yellow arc.

I agree that Crystal could use some character development, but Platinum and Yellow? The Platinum in the DP arc and the Platinum in the Platinum arc almost feel like two different people minus the manner on how she speaks. She lost her bratty, haughty character traits and instead of being so private she expresses herself to strangers now. Yellow didn't go through to much character development but I thought it was good enough to see how she's progressed. She does battle now compared to not willing to fight in the early half of Yellow arc.
    Platinum has good development, I agree. Her development reminds me a lot of Bilbo Baggins.

Yellow is a different story. She is still a pacifist, but she is now just more willing to fight when lives depend on it. It is development, but it is not very much. While a bit of development is better than no development, it is always better to try to develop a character as much as you possibly can.

Platinum has good development, I agree. Her development reminds me a lot of Bilbo Baggins.

Yellow is a different story. She is still a pacifist, but she is now just more willing to fight when lives depend on it. It is development, but it is not very much. While a bit of development is better than no development, it is always better to try to develop a character as much as you possibly can.
    The only female who developed more then Platinum, IMO would be Blue/Green. But Platinum's development was really good. She developed from being aloof and then became charismatic by the end of the Platinum journey.

Yellow, I agree could have used more. But I don't think her personality is going to change because it doesn't really need it. But there are some things they could do with her. Same with Crystal. Crystal was alright in HGSS, but other then her Lyra outfit and trying to catch Arceus, she didn't really stand out much in HGSS. Sapphire is like half and half. Still I love all the Dexholder girls that have come into Adventures

The only female who developed more then Platinum, IMO would be Blue/Green. But Platinum's development was really good. She developed from being aloof and then became charismatic by the end of the Platinum journey.

Yellow, I agree could have used more. But I don't think her personality is going to change because it doesn't really need it. But there are some things they could do with her. Same with Crystal. Crystal was alright in HGSS, but other then her Lyra outfit and trying to catch Arceus, she didn't really stand out much in HGSS. Sapphire is like half and half. Still I love all the Dexholder girls that have come into Adventures
    Green did develop, but it could have been handled differently in my opinion.

Yellow's powers have always been interesting to me. I wish that those would be explored more. It wouldn't be a stretch to think that having special powers and saving the world twice would give her a small superiority complex. That would actually be a very interesting thing to explore.

I think what happened with HGSS in regards to Crystal is that she wasn't the main character, Silver was. Silver was the only one who developed in HGSS.

I don't see how Sapphire developed in RS. Sure, she got a back story and told Ruby that she liked him, but I never got the feeling that she changed because of what happened at the end of the eighty day challenge.

Yellow's powers have always been interesting to me. I wish that those would be explored more. It wouldn't be a stretch to think that having special powers and saving the world twice would give her a small superiority complex. That would actually be a very interesting thing to explore.
    Plus, with N, I wonder if there could be connection between them. Maybe N was found in the Viridian Forest by Ghetsis (while scouring for his six Sages). Or maybe (if we have a clearer timeline) Yellow encountered him (as a youngster).

Unpopular DPA opinion--Kaisei is a terrible father and Rowan is even worse. Kaisei abandoned Hareta as an infant and Rowan chucked the kid in the woods soon after. People seem to gloss over those basic facts because they both love the boy, but it remains that they're absolutely horrible parents.
    The world's greatest collector as drawn by Yoru Ryu
    Fancy Jirarudan too? Then you'll enjoy my fic Obsession! (updated June 29th, 2014)
    Or better yet, join my LJ comm Ware Wa Collector!
    Check out some of my other fics!
    Answering Machine (strong XY spoilers--winner of Most Heartbreaking Scene 2013!)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Gabbiani View Post
    Unpopular DPA opinion--Kaisei is a terrible father and Rowan is even worse. Kaisei abandoned Hareta as an infant and Rowan chucked the kid in the woods soon after. People seem to gloss over those basic facts because they both love the boy, but it remains that they're absolutely horrible parents.
    I have to agree on that. What 'responsible' parent leave his baby alone with an friend to go on a journey? That's very messed up, especially of the friend leaves the kid alone in the forest to have him raised by Pokemon. if he's just too lazy to raise the kid or not able to he should have told Kaisei to stay home to raise his only kid. That's what a responsible friend should do

Thought Palmer left Pearl also alone and went traveling without sending any letters to Pearl... I have a feeling that Pearl was raised by Dia's mom instead of Palmer.

Why are those parents in Pokemon manga so irresponsible?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamingflower View Post
    I have to agree on that. What 'responsible' parent leave his baby alone with an friend to go on a journey? That's very messed up, especially of the friend leaves the kid alone in the forest to have him raised by Pokemon. if he's just too lazy to raise the kid or not able to he should have told Kaisei to stay home to raise his only kid. That's what a responsible friend should do

Thought Palmer left Pearl also alone and went traveling without sending any letters to Pearl... I have a feeling that Pearl was raised by Dia's mom instead of Palmer.

Why are those parents in Pokemon manga so irresponsible?
    I agree. I know that divorce rates are up right now and that there are a lot of single parents out there, but this is just pushing it.

By Dia's mom. Whatever happened to Pearl's mom though?

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    By Dia's mom. Whatever happened to Pearl's mom though?
    You should ask that to Pearl. He and Palmer never mentioned her in the manga, nor have I seen her. So I assume or Palmer is divorced or she's death. I think option 2 sounds more reasonable.

i just had to log in to laugh at weezy's opinion about crystal not having a personality. im not forcing you to like her, it's just that when that dislike stretches into making things up for yourself then you've got a problem of delusion.

let's just ignore that crystal had three jobs at least (babysitter, lab assistant, capturer) and had a sensible personality. that's right, she was a best career woman after white. while white ignored everything for her career (but she's starting to open up to other things now) crystal knew how to handle the bickering gold and silver because of her sensibility, and that gold behaved similarly to the children back at the orphanage. let's also ignore that she was instrumental in emerald's ambition to become like her. of course she seems boring to you because her personality is the closest you'd have to a real life woman. she knew how to balance work and play. in other words, at the start of the crystal arc she was already a developed character who took another job because she couldn't realize her dream, then when oak came along that's when she unraveled.

weezy, your complaint about crystal not having a personality is as valid as "not liking any pokemon manga because the pictures don't move". it's absurd and illogical, especially when you bring personal feelings into the mix. thanks for the laugh though.

Quote Originally Posted by jasper222 View Post
    i just had to log in to laugh at weezy's opinion about crystal not having a personality. im not forcing you to like her, it's just that when that dislike stretches into making things up for yourself then you've got a problem of delusion.

let's just ignore that crystal had three jobs at least (babysitter, lab assistant, capturer) and had a sensible personality. that's right, she was a best career woman after white. while white ignored everything for her career (but she's starting to open up to other things now) crystal knew how to handle the bickering gold and silver because of her sensibility, and that gold behaved similarly to the children back at the orphanage. let's also ignore that she was instrumental in emerald's ambition to become like her. of course she seems boring to you because her personality is the closest you'd have to a real life woman. she knew how to balance work and play. in other words, at the start of the crystal arc she was already a developed character who took another job because she couldn't realize her dream, then when oak came along that's when she unraveled.

weezy, your complaint about crystal not having a personality is as valid as "not liking any pokemon manga because the pictures don't move". it's absurd and illogical, especially when you bring personal feelings into the mix. thanks for the laugh though.
    Though I'd rather not pour fuel onto this potential fire, this guy has a point.

I think Crystal has a personality, it's just not very standoutish...I guess. I personally love her mood swings, she's the most lively during those times. I don't believe in "not having a personality" everyone has one it's just some are more boring then others. Still a boring and bland personality is still a personality, just not one you're a fan of. Not that I think Crystal is bland or boring.

Backstory does not equal development. Backstory can be a force that leads to character development, but the two things are not the same. Backstory usually falls under "characterization". Characterization is the setting up of a character through their speech, thoughts, appearances, motivations, and actions. Having three jobs falls under this category, her personality (which never changes) falls under this category, her "sensibility" falls under this category, and being a "career woman" falls under this category. How Emerald reacts to Crystal does not give her development, it gives Emerald characterization.

Crystal never developed before, during, or after the story. She was very characterized, but never developed. A character cannot have character development before the story even starts. Character development always happens inside the story. If it happens outside of the story we are being told then it is characterization because it is setting her up for the story we are told.

Characters in stories always need to develop. If a character is already developed before the story even starts, then that character will not be interesting. Crystal is "boring" (I'm using your words here and not the ones I would necessarily use) because she leaves the adventure as the exact same person she was when she started. Dynamic characters (characters that develop over time) are better than static characters (characters that do not develop) because we get to compare who they were at the beginning to who they now are at the end. Character development is the pay off of the conflict that they go through. If they do not develop, then we have no payoff and no reason to care.

He did not make that argument and the parallel you thought of was also really bad. He stated that characters should develop over time and that Crystal does not do so, not that Crystal has no personality.

It does not matter what medium we are experiencing the story through, characters should always change and develop within the story. Your comparison makes it seem like you believe that the medium that we experience the story through allows the author to ignore certain literary practices that are required of a good story. Genre is not an argument.

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast