Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Unpopular opinions about Pokemon manga

Quote Originally Posted by pacman000 View Post
    Are we allowed to talk about other Pokemon manga?
    Yes. Why wouldn't we?

What about comics?
    Considering the word "manga" already means "comic", we already are.

Quote Originally Posted by lolipiece View Post
    Yes. Why wouldn't we?
    Ok. I was wondering because most of the comments were related to Pokemon Special, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by lolipiece View Post
    Considering the word "manga" already means "comic", we already are.
    Yes, but some people make a distinction, and I don't want to cause strife.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

Quote Originally Posted by pacman000 View Post
    Ok. I was wondering because most of the comments were related to Pokemon Special, that's all.
    Pokemon special is the best known manga, that's why. It's hard to discuss a manga that only 15 people know about

If so, I must say that I kinda like Pikachu Meets the Press. Now I haven't read all of it, and the art is sloppy, but it had some cute/funny stuff.
    We are talking about unpopular opinions here, thought I haven't read that manga, so I can't say much about it. actually I can't say anything about it/

I'm just going to say it right now that development can be overrated. Personally, as long as the character is fun to watch and has interesting quirks, they don't necessarily need to be terribly flawed, morally ambiguous or go through major arcs.

Also just because a character is meant to "be evil", it doesn't mean he's a bad character. Yeah, having a complex villain is all well and good, but in real life... sometimes people are just cruel and sadistic... because. Not every single bad guy needs some "horrid past" or some "grand plan". Sometimes is nice to have a antagonist with a clear goal.

For more, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqKm0HdCLR8
    Last edited by matt0044; 27th April 2013 at 5:36 PM.

Two of mine:

-I don't really care for Marge/Courtney/whatever her name is, I don't hate her, just never saw her appeal. She's just another Magma operative to me.
    -Don't have too high hopes for the XY manga.
    I, stickerstaryoshi, am now authorized to use the usertitle "We got 3D: XY!", created by user Cresselia92 and to modify it according to my desires.

Fan of the Mario and Luigi series since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post
    The games aren't even out yet. How can you already make expectations about an arc that will maybe take a year before it will be released?

Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post
    You're entitled to your opinion I guess but imo Kusaka has never failed to impress me with his works. Sure, I was a little disappointed (a LOT disappointed actually) by the magazine ending of HGSS but he restored hope for Pokemon Adventures within me again after the new ending from the volume releases. Sure, he made a few mistakes here and there (like how he seemingly mixed up Al and Harry in GSC) but in the long run he always pulls it off in the way that makes me like Pokemon Adventures more than the games itself and a heck lot more than the anime.

Oh and might as well mention it now. I don't really like how there's more than one species of each starter type in the manga. It looked like, at first, that owning a starter was a special symbol empowered upon a Dexholder since he was entrusted with a starter by a professor, so yeah it actually meant something. Next thing you know, villainous team grunts own a herd of them (in Platinum, Galactic grunts owned an army of Charmeleon and Combusken). Tucker owned a Charizard. And to a lesser extent, Kimberly with the Johto starters (this example might have been necessary to show off the ultimate moves since only starters can learn them).

-I really, honestly think that Gold is a fun character and is pretty awesome. Gold didn't develop and was a static character all of his run this true, but his entertainment value came from his personality. I find myself invested in Gold as a character because of how charismatic and innovative he and is his personality are. His quirks and even his style of combat with use of his pool stick is something memorable. Though I feel as though Pichu was tacked on because, ya know, "RED HAS ONE AND GOLD IS A PROTAG, LEGACY REFERENCE!!1111" but that could have easily have been fixed by simply tagging him in in place of one of the non-main/starter/focus Pokemon in the HGSS arc. I guess that might have been wishful thinking considering how much of a rushed mess that arc.was in its own right. Gold's main aim is to be a fun character, hotblooded shounen idiot in a sense. It was expected after Red considering how much of a shounen archetype nice guy he was.

-Silver, while he seems to have a nicely-sized fanbase, I feel is a character with little essence. It didn't feel like there was much of anything to his character, he had some saddening exposition on his past and training under the Mask of Ice and later friendship with Blue, true. I still feel like they're something missing, his development as a character was just....linear? He felt like mysterious antagonistic force to Gold that was just the way he was for appeal focus and because the writers wanted him to be. Not a character with an immense amount of depth and dynamic characterization. It's really easy to make a silent, "mysterious" type on the offset. Pulling of the character and making them interesting is a whole 'nother story.

-I liked the Yellow arc. and Yellow as a character a lot, the idea of children of Viridian, the Elite Four being antagonist, the backstory and redeeming qualities of Agatha, Lance and Lorelei, the battles, everything was quite well done in my humble opinion. I can understand the complaints of Yellow's power, but honestly Yellow's powers really and rarely went beyond healing and her ability to understand the thoughts of Pokemon. The plot of the Yellow arc. made fantastic use of these talents and in no way was Yellow overpowered, even against Lance he pretty much has everything she does plus Dragons.(Dragons in almost every canon of Pokemon have been portrayed as being very lethal battlers.) She had some great interactions among the other characters, Blue being like a mentor or helpline for her and Green being a trainer for her. Helping her capture a Caterpie and revealing a non-story binding weakness in her character in the form of not being able to attack when not in desperation, eventually capturing said Pokemon, not overly dragged out training and eventual powering up for the later showdown between her and Lance. Let's not mention how her Pokemon from Kasumi and Takeshi were completely uncooperative for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by lollygag View Post
    I think Pokémon Special sucks more than the anime. Why does the Elite Four have to be evil?
    Because the original games had little to no story to it. Gotta have more villains and more conflicts. And so what? They turned good (except one) in the end, anyway.

And Sabrina and Koga as Team Rocket members - are they basically saying that Gym Leaders with non-cute Pokémon must be villains?
    Excuse me? When did they have the only non-cute Pokemon?

It's clearly because one's a woman with powerful psychic abilities, the other a ninja, and the other....an American. *Cough*

What I hate about them the most is that THEY KILLED STEVEN STONE. (lifts up middle finger to manga writers)
    He also came back to life, so your complaint is moot.

So? Gym Leaders' role is to hand out badges to people who beat them, not help Team Rocket. And besides, Koga is a parent. Wouldn't he need to help train Janine?
    Because not everything has to go by rules, even in real life, people don't do JUST what they're supposed to do. Not everything is all sunshine and rainbows in Pokémon Special and they did a great job showing that even gym leaders can be evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    Because not everything has to go by rules, even in real life, people don't do JUST what they're supposed to do. Not everything is all sunshine and rainbows in Pokémon Special and they did a great job showing that even gym leaders can be evil.
    No matter, it's still his opinion and he's entitled to it. I'm pretty sure that's the purpose of this thread, so he can state his unpopular opinion (of which he's already aware that it is) and not be argued into the ground about it.

(credit goes to Skiyomi)

So? Gym Leaders' role is to hand out badges to people who beat them, not help Team Rocket. And besides, Koga is a parent. Wouldn't he need to help train Janine?
    I'd rather see antagonists being gym leaders (Pryce, Lt.Surge, Elite Four..) rather than antagonists being the messed up jokes liked those in the anime. Also, your logic is flawed. Ash's father is a father, and wouldn't he be needed to raise Ash, rather than ditch Ash with his mom. How about Dawn, Misty and Iris? And Cilan?

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Quote Originally Posted by gohan5 View Post
    No matter, it's still his opinion and he's entitled to it. I'm pretty sure that's the purpose of this thread, so he can state his unpopular opinion (of which he's already aware that it is) and not be argued into the ground about it.
    We can still voice our disagreements (in a civil manner, of course).

What I hate about them the most is that THEY KILLED STEVEN STONE. (lifts up middle finger to manga writers)
    He got better thanks to Celebi. You're welcome.
    Last edited by matt0044; 4th June 2013 at 1:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    We can still voice our disagreements (in a civil manner, of course).
    Didn't say you couldn't.

That aside, I agree with what Doryuzu said about Silver, just never saw him as that deep of a character.

(credit goes to Skiyomi)

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    He got better thanks to Celebi. You're welcome.
    Which was pretty dumb in and of itself, of course. A pointless death and a random revival. :/

98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    I'd rather see antagonists being gym leaders (Pryce, Lt.Surge, Elite Four..) rather than antagonists being the messed up jokes liked those in the anime. Also, your logic is flawed. Ash's father is a father, and wouldn't he be needed to raise Ash, rather than ditch Ash with his mom. How about Dawn, Misty and Iris? And Cilan?
    Lol, it's sad that whenever I hear the name "Team Rocket" I think of the joke Team Rocket from the anime as opposed to anyone else. It's because of that I can never take the name "Team Rocket" seriously. Even in Adventures when I read them talking about what a threat TR is I have to remind myself that it's a different more serious group. Wow.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

Quote Originally Posted by Honeyichigo View Post
    Which was pretty dumb in and of itself, of course. A pointless death and a random revival. :/
    Yeeesss, but I was just telling lollygag that his beloved character didn't stay dead.

Also I think the revival thing could've worked if it was Jirachi and NOT Celebi and if they had to seek it rather than Ruby always having it.

I don't care for the way it seems like anyone can own a starter these days, yes people it makes sense but at the same time it's not as "SPECIAL"(har-har :P) if any ol' person could show up with a starter Pokemon like Meganium. It, imo, is a unique aspect exclusive to Dex Holders that comes with a PokeDex. It sets them apart from ordinary trainers and starters are portrayed as somewhat stronger than average Pokemon with quite a bit of potential in PokeSpe. It feels like its lost that quality in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    -I really, honestly think that Gold is a fun character and is pretty awesome.
    This is an unpopular opinion? Dangit, people actually hate on the second best character? Gold is amazing.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

Quote Originally Posted by diakyu View Post
    This is an unpopular opinion? Dangit, people actually hate on the second best character? Gold is amazing.
    Most I've come across find Gold annoying for being an idiot shounen hero with no character development, though his charisma and personality is his character's main selling point. I don't expect development like Black's for Gold.

I found Pryce's backstory to be okay. Just a man gone mad from an obsession of his (trying to fix a big mistake he made but becoming corrupt in the process). But I will say that it needed a wee bit more elaboration to TRULY work.

When you sit down and relax, the GSC arc is a good enough read and all but from an analytical standpoint, the issues with it do become more apparent.

The revive-everyone ending of the RS arc COULD HAVE worked if they used Jirachi AND Ruby didn't always have it but rather they seek it (maybe during the Emerald arc).
    Last edited by matt0044; 14th July 2013 at 2:50 PM.

-I think all the PokeSpe characters have nice personalities and/or fleshed out histories and struggles that allow me to care about them. Which is the first time for any anime/manga series I've ever invested my time in. Red is a bit generic, otherwise PokeSpe has done a fantastic job of avoiding generic Shounen protags. Okay, except for maybe Black but he's not too generic after a while.

-I don't mind Ruby and Sapphire's little shipping, it isn't *****d out and wasn't forced, there was actual build-up and their interactions were entertaining enough for me. Kusaka also hasn't gone overboard with shipping, that's the only love pairing of Dex Holders really and I like that he doesn't overdue it. Plus it makes the Hoenn Trio stick out in a way like every other trio/quartet/duo.
    Last edited by Doryuzu; 18th July 2013 at 3:35 AM.

Except now there's obvious tension between Gold and Crys, I'm pretty sure Dia and Platinum have a thing, and Black and White seem to have something as well. Ruby and Sapphire are just the most obvious couple.

The only thing I've ever not liked about the Manga was the treatment of Wally and that's it. I still think the writer could have made Wally go through the Battle Frontier and found a way for him to have the name Emerald (like a nickname or something he obtains) rather than having to create a new character.

Wally is the most useless character in the games. He only appears three times, and only has to be battled twice.

His first appearance has him "teaching" you how to catch Pokemon after you've had Poke Balls for a while.

He only becomes "important" because the other worthless rival decided to quit most of the way through. And even then, it only happens once.

People need to get over how he was "treated", because if anything, they made him actually relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by izarith View Post
    (warning: about to go off on a TL;DR semi-related tangent)
    but it's the inclusion of the gym leaders as TR members that really seals it IMO, especially when you consider what "rocket" stands for - raid on the city, knock out evil tusks. kinda nonsensical but also quite telling. TR in the manga seems to be founded on general disillusionment with society. they want to create a world controlled by team rocket, which they think will be much better than the world they're currently living in. they want to knock out the "evil tusks" who are currently in control and instate their leader instead.
    lt. surge, koga & sabrina were the perfect choices for TR agents for this reason. all of them have reason to dislike the society they live in. lt. surge used to be a soldier - many soldiers come home and are unable to fit back into their lives, having seen and done things that most civilians can't understand. judging by his general attitude, he doesn't seem like he would be PTSD-afflicted, but that doesn't mean he isn't affected at all by his memories. koga is clearly from a very traditional family, one that still upholds the "way of the ninja" so to speak. in this way i think he would feel left behind by modern society - he's still trying to be true to his clan and traditions, while the rest of the world moves on around him. and sabrina is pretty obvious. as a psychic she feels estranged from most people. knowing the future can be both a blessing and a curse, because she knows the actions of others even before they do. i think she is probably very jaded and weary of the world under her harsh, "*****y" exterior, because she is able to glimpse inside people's minds and see their true intentions.
    i think a solid motive - in this case, to change the world for the good of the "outcasts" - is what makes a villain memorable, and that's why special!TR is so much more interesting to me than the other versions.
    (/TL;DR)

anyways, yeah. i just have a lot of special-related feelings ;p
    I gotta say: that's a very neat way at looking at TR in Special.

Plus, from what I seen of Emerald, I love his jackassness. So deliciously hatable. I have this weird taste where I'm able to like unlikable character. Mostly due to how blatantly unlikable they are.

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast