Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 425 of 587

Thread: Unpopular opinions about Pokemon manga

  1. #401
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bionickai001 View Post
    Except now there's obvious tension between Gold and Crys, I'm pretty sure Dia and Platinum have a thing, and Black and White seem to have something as well. Ruby and Sapphire are just the most obvious couple.

    The only thing I've ever not liked about the Manga was the treatment of Wally and that's it. I still think the writer could have made Wally go through the Battle Frontier and found a way for him to have the name Emerald (like a nickname or something he obtains) rather than having to create a new character.
    Well now Kusaka gave other characters the same treatment he gave to Wally, like Cheren, Bianca and Hugh. I'm happy to see that he isn't singled out. Don't get me wrong, before BW I was kinda pissed about how Kusaka treated Wally but after seeing that Kusaka made it so that Wally wasn't the only, well, Wally (especially considering that it was an unavoidable situation with Cheren and Bianca) I'm actually kinda glad that Wally wasn't made into Emerald. It made it so that the traditions of only characters named after games being main characters and only giving main characters Pokedexes were preserved.

  2. #402
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    430

    Default

    I agree to that. Cheren and Bianca really make Wally's situation less annoying. Of course, Hugh remains to be seen and he might end up being the first non-game name Pokedex holder (and for that matter Rakatsu and Faitsu are also pushing it).

  3. #403
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bionickai001 View Post
    I agree to that. Cheren and Bianca really make Wally's situation less annoying. Of course, Hugh remains to be seen and he might end up being the first non-game name Pokedex holder (and for that matter Rakatsu and Faitsu are also pushing it).
    But looking at the extent to which Kusaka tried to keep up traditions (such as creating a whole new character when there was an already perfectly developed character to fill the role; talking about Emerald and Wally btw), I don't think he'll suddenly break a tradition after all the hard work (and sometimes even unnecessary work) he's done. So I seriously doubt that Hugh will become a Dexholder. And remember what Coronis said: Rakutsu may not even be his real name; he said he goes by the name Rakutsu in the school. In English, Rakutsu's "code name" is Black 2. Something tells me that Kusaka intended for Rakutsu's "official name" to be Black 2, despite it being only a code name. We'll see when Netkun updates. Also, Faitsu may very well not be her real name. She probably was forced to change her name to cut her ties with Team Plasma and she may have been called White 2 as a codename when she was with Plasma. Remember that (in English, anyways) Yellow was supposed to be a codename to substitute for Amarillo de Viridian but everyone still called her Yellow after the Yellow chapter. Kusaka probably gave Rakutsu and Faitsu alternate names because I doubt anyone would name their child a name with a number in it (even in Japan) but he still intended for them to be called Black 2 and White 2.

  4. #404
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macromind101 View Post
    Remember that (in English, anyways) Yellow was supposed to be a codename to substitute for Amarillo de Viridian but everyone still called her Yellow after the Yellow chapter. Kusaka probably gave Rakutsu and Faitsu alternate names because I doubt anyone would name their child a name with a number in it (even in Japan) but he still intended for them to be called Black 2 and White 2.
    Yellow is not a codename, it's a nickname similar Crys and Dia.

  5. #405
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    I don't find the pacing to be that bad, even when heading for the climax (even if I think they could slow down a weeeeee-bit). Hell, in the RGB arc, I view it in an episodic sense like the Pokemon Anime only much more linear (especially with the twist Giovanni gave) so I never pitched a fit there.

  6. #406
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Route 123, looking for Celebi
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    ... You seem incredibly forgiving of each and every one of this series flaws, matt0044.


    98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

  7. #407
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honeyichigo View Post
    ... You seem incredibly forgiving of each and every one of this series flaws, matt0044.
    Well now, don't get me wrong. Just because I like the series a lot and don't find fault in it exactly like you, doesn't mean that I don't have my own pet peeves with it too. Like the Celebi-Ex-Machina we all know and loathe. I also do find that certain plot holes like Green (girl) getting her arm sliced when it was really Ditto could've been fixed with a lot more forethought. And thought Pryce's motives were understandable to me, I do feel that an extra chapter before RS to elaborate on his story would've helped. A bit like Miyo Takano's backstory in Higurashi but I don't expect a Pokemon Manga to be so psychological and stuff. And yes, Wally would've worked well in Emerald's role (though I don't hate the latter).

    PokeSpe just tends to get under my skin a lot less than others and things you may find "wrong" I find to be fine. Does that make me seem strange to you? Because it's not always black and white like that (pun intended). Heck, if I may be so bold as to ask... what do you like about PokeSpe?
    Last edited by matt0044; 27th July 2013 at 5:20 PM.

  8. #408
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    4,644

    Default

    Am I the only one that's really really happy that the girl went after the badges and the guy Contest in RS chapters? I mean the more stereotypical occupations for the male and female got swapped around, which was really refreshing. Kusaka even did it again with Platinum going after badges while the boys go after nothing, though Platinum did participate in a Contest. Her overall goal felt more thought toward badges with Contest being a one-time thing. It doesn't seem like many people make a big deal of or care about this, thus I'm constituting it as an unpopular opinion.

  9. #409
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Steven Stone's Villa<3 ~
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    Am I the only one that's really really happy that the girl went after the badges and the guy Contest in RS chapters? I mean the more stereotypical occupations for the male and female got swapped around, which was really refreshing. Kusaka even did it again with Platinum going after badges while the boys go after nothing, though Platinum did participate in a Contest. Her overall goal felt more thought toward badges with Contest being a one-time thing. It doesn't seem like many people make a big deal of or care about this, thus I'm constituting it as an unpopular opinion.
    I dunno, I don't think it's that unpopular. I haven't seen a lot of people complain about it, at least. But I loved it as well. The more gender stereotypes reversed the better!
    "But sometimes I have to ask myself this question. It's true that to us his imaginings are nothing but the inventions of a busy mind. But to him, there simply is no other reality. Furthermore he is happy there.

    So why, I ask myself, why in the name of healing him must we drag him painfully into the world of our own reality?"

    ~Doctor's memo, from Silent Hill 2

  10. #410
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Somewhere green
    Posts
    7,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    Am I the only one that's really really happy that the girl went after the badges and the guy Contest in RS chapters? I mean the more stereotypical occupations for the male and female got swapped around, which was really refreshing. Kusaka even did it again with Platinum going after badges while the boys go after nothing, though Platinum did participate in a Contest. Her overall goal felt more thought toward badges with Contest being a one-time thing. It doesn't seem like many people make a big deal of or care about this, thus I'm constituting it as an unpopular opinion.
    Not at all. I loved Sapphire and Platinum doing Gyms. It is a little ironic when you think of their anime counterparts, but I enjoyed seeing this. I don't recall anyone complaining about it. I know on some other forums some complained Platinum did too much over Dia and Pearl, which is really not true. Platinum really only had her Gyms while Dia and Pearl got the major focus on the journey aspects of the story as well as Team Galactic related stuff, where Platinum was sidelined every time. I will say she's done the most activity wise. Gyms, a Contest, and the Sinnoh Battle Frontier, that is quite the resume. As for Sapphire, more people probably complain about her being sidelined during the Aqua/Magma final. All in all I hope we get another girl doing Gyms again at some point.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

  11. #411
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Unova, NY
    Posts
    6,283

    Default

    The whole girl going after Badges and the boy Ribbons would've been slightly better if they weren't portrayed as a wild child and a flamboyant jerk.

    Platinum's just fine, though.

  12. #412
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Somewhere green
    Posts
    7,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lolipiece View Post
    The whole girl going after Badges and the boy Ribbons would've been slightly better if they weren't portrayed as a wild child and a flamboyant jerk.

    Platinum's just fine, though.
    Aw, I liked that about Ruby and Sapphire. I admit they could have toned Sapphire down just a little, like just make her a tomboy who loves Gym Battles or something, but I thought the character's did well. I liked that Ruby was flamboyant. It was something different for a Pokemon male player.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

  13. #413
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    9

    Default

    I think most everyone can agree the very originals were fantastic and it's nice seeing ash's equivalent red not be such a doppy loser who and red unlike ash has a whoop as team. I wasn't in love with yellow but it was alright and I think GSC was ok from there though it all just goes downhill and sucks not only had the illustration change so majorly but the storyline sucked and at that point I didn't care

  14. #414
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Unova, NY
    Posts
    6,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandshrew21 View Post
    I think most everyone can agree the very originals were fantastic
    I beg to differ. Red has to be the least interesting Dex holder ever. The others were fine.

    and it's nice seeing ash's equivalent red not be such a doppy loser who and red unlike ash has a whoop as team.
    And here we go. Another "Red is cool because he's better than Ash despite the fact that they have absolutely nothing to with one another other than the fact that they're both based off of game Red, which isn't special because there's a whole of characters based off of Red in other manga."

    I wasn't in love with yellow but it was alright and I think GSC was ok from there though it all just goes downhill and sucks not only had the illustration change so majorly but the storyline sucked and at that point I didn't care
    They had a good reason for changing the art. And besides, Yamamoto's art is cooler looking. Usually.
    Last edited by lolipiece; 28th July 2013 at 3:37 PM.

  15. #415
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Route 123, looking for Celebi
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lolipiece View Post
    The whole girl going after Badges and the boy Ribbons would've been slightly better if they weren't portrayed as a wild child and a flamboyant jerk.
    Yeah, they felt more like caricatures than characters a lot of the time, especially Sapphire.


    98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

  16. #416
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    I admit they could have toned Sapphire down just a little, like just make her a tomboy who loves Gym Battles or something
    I actually love her wild child-ness. Crazy but awesome at times, caricature or not. Ruby's flamboyancy was pretty amusing too. It's just something I'd expect from Pokemon Special. Maybe it's because I can like characters that I wouldn't like in real life or maybe I'm just plain retarded. I don't know nor care. I'm just along for the ride.

    Here's something from DPA: I feel like it could've stood to be a little longer and not just gloss over the third, fourth and fifth gym battles.
    Last edited by matt0044; 28th July 2013 at 4:54 PM.

  17. #417
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Route 123, looking for Celebi
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    maybe I'm just plain retarded
    If you say so

    I'm totally fine with DPA glossing over some of the gym battles, because they aren't as important to the plot as the Galactic encounters were. They would have just taken up space that could have been spent on more relevant things. Something I think Special could benefit from doing, incidentally.


    98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

  18. #418
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honeyichigo View Post
    If you say so
    http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...RiRLa1s9jnYlwg Seriously, I can never tell with you.

    I'm totally fine with DPA glossing over some of the gym battles, because they aren't as important to the plot as the Galactic encounters were. They would have just taken up space that could have been spent on more relevant things.
    Maybe but I would've liked to see more of Hareta growing as a Trainer and how the Gym Leaders are portrayed more. Maybe it wouldn't be as important as the Galactic stuff but it would be relevant (to Hareta's character and maybe others if Ihara thought) but they could've been enjoyable stories for the Manga. Plus, it wouldn't really "take up space" in the sense if Ihara had a limit of chapter set up himself. I think he could've made it longer (not too long) and explored other things if he did.

    That and the Gym Leaders were important as they joined Hareta's crusader against Team Galactic.

  19. #419
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Steven Stone's Villa<3 ~
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    It is a little ironic when you think of their anime counterparts, but I enjoyed seeing this.
    That's actually what made me love it even more.

    Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    All in all I hope we get another girl doing Gyms again at some point.
    Knowing Special I'm sure we will.

    Quote Originally Posted by lolipiece View Post
    The whole girl going after Badges and the boy Ribbons would've been slightly better if they weren't portrayed as a wild child and a flamboyant jerk.
    I actually didn't have a problem with the wild childness too much. It was different and fun, though I wouldn't have minded it being toned down some. Definitely wouldn't want Ruby's flamboyance to be changed though. The only part of him I would've liked changed was his jerkiness but that lack of jerkiness would've changed how quite a few things would've played out.
    "But sometimes I have to ask myself this question. It's true that to us his imaginings are nothing but the inventions of a busy mind. But to him, there simply is no other reality. Furthermore he is happy there.

    So why, I ask myself, why in the name of healing him must we drag him painfully into the world of our own reality?"

    ~Doctor's memo, from Silent Hill 2

  20. #420
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    I actually love her wild child-ness. Crazy but awesome at times, caricature or not. Ruby's flamboyancy was pretty amusing too. It's just something I'd expect from Pokemon Special. Maybe it's because I can like characters that I wouldn't like in real life or maybe I'm just plain retarded. I don't know nor care. I'm just along for the ride.

    Here's something from DPA: I feel like it could've stood to be a little longer and not just gloss over the third, fourth and fifth gym battles.
    Yamamoto said that if in real life they should be hard to get along well XD

  21. #421
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    4,644

    Default

    The Yellow arc. was fantastic, I'll never understand how anyone can dislike it. The finale wasn't rushed and the battles very very good, Yellow's development and characterization, the twist with Lance's emphatic talents to heal and understand Pokemon's thoughts, Yellow's personality isn't generic to me at all and it stood out well on its own, I didn't really care for Omny and Gravvy but those two were never a big deal to me. Even the training arc. with Green and the backstory on his first encounter with Agatha was well done as well as Blue's more craftier side for the sake of good being brought to light, I do occasionally get a nice chuckle out of how Lance's "Dragon Army" despite the fact Dragonite and its family were the only Gen 1 Dragon-type Pokemon. Agatha had to reuse the Gengar line as well, it just reminded me how limited Gen 1 was in Pokemon to use so many got overused. I dunno but after that arc. Pokespe ending arcs. just seemed to become kinda rushed most of the time.

    There are still some ridiculous things that never made sense to me on Crys' team, why is her team mostly Gen 1 Pokemon? Seriously Hitmonlee? Why not Hitmontop? Though I guess it's okay considering Natee and Megaree seemed to get focused on the most iirc.

    I really don't want a Dex Holder reunion if there's a World Tournament arc., seriously why do fans want this so badly? Bringing all the Dex Holders back, all you're asking for is a rushed, incomprehensible mess where most of them are going to be underused.
    Last edited by Doryuzu; 31st July 2013 at 2:26 AM.

  22. #422
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Steven Stone's Villa<3 ~
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    I dunno but after that arc. Pokespe ending arcs. just seemed to become kinda rushed most of the time.
    That's probably because starting with GSC, the pair game arcs have become a lot longer. It's a good thing in some ways since with it being longer it can be more in-depth than the Red/Blue/Green arc were for example, but the problem with it being longer is due to the release of the series by the time it gets to its final climax they have to start rushing through it to be able to move on to the next arc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    I really don't want a Dex Holder reunion if there's a World Tournament arc., seriously why do fans want this so badly? Bringing all the Dex Holders back, all you're asking for is a rushed, incomprehensible mess where most of them are going to be underused.
    It's all because we got one in Emerald, and it is a nice idea. But I agree. Unless an arc isn't going to be short or rushed I don't really care about seeing everyone again, as nice as it would be to see everyone older and what not.
    "But sometimes I have to ask myself this question. It's true that to us his imaginings are nothing but the inventions of a busy mind. But to him, there simply is no other reality. Furthermore he is happy there.

    So why, I ask myself, why in the name of healing him must we drag him painfully into the world of our own reality?"

    ~Doctor's memo, from Silent Hill 2

  23. #423
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1dbad View Post
    It's all because we got one in Emerald, and it is a nice idea. But I agree. Unless an arc isn't going to be short or rushed I don't really care about seeing everyone again, as nice as it would be to see everyone older and what not.
    But you have to consider that Sird has either directly or indirectly affected all Dexholders from Generations I-IV. If there is ever going to be a Sird defeat, then at least there should be a Dexholder reunion from Kanto to Sinnoh. I mean, c'mon even a mere Sird creation required a reunion from I-III.

  24. #424
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Somewhere green
    Posts
    7,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    The Yellow arc. was fantastic, I'll never understand how anyone can dislike it. The finale wasn't rushed and the battles very very good, Yellow's development and characterization, the twist with Lance's emphatic talents to heal and understand Pokemon's thoughts, Yellow's personality isn't generic to me at all and it stood out well on its own, I didn't really care for Omny and Gravvy but those two were never a big deal to me. Even the training arc. with Green and the backstory on his first encounter with Agatha was well done as well as Blue's more craftier side for the sake of good being brought to light, I do occasionally get a nice chuckle out of how Lance's "Dragon Army" despite the fact Dragonite and its family were the only Gen 1 Dragon-type Pokemon. Agatha had to reuse the Gengar line as well, it just reminded me how limited Gen 1 was in Pokemon to use so many got overused. I dunno but after that arc. Pokespe ending arcs. just seemed to become kinda rushed most of the time.

    There are still some ridiculous things that never made sense to me on Crys' team, why is her team mostly Gen 1 Pokemon? Seriously Hitmonlee? Why not Hitmontop? Though I guess it's okay considering Natee and Megaree seemed to get focused on the most iirc.

    I really don't want a Dex Holder reunion if there's a World Tournament arc., seriously why do fans want this so badly? Bringing all the Dex Holders back, all you're asking for is a rushed, incomprehensible mess where most of them are going to be underused.
    I don't really want a World Tournament. To gimmicky and to many characters for it. As far as Dexholder reunion's go, I'm pretty sure those are over for now. At this point I'd much rather the characters just hear about the others, like how the Sinnoh Trio heard about Gold at the end of the Platinum chapter, or how we get references to Red but you don't actually see him. Acknowledgement of the others and their accomplishments is pretty much all I want now. I thought the Johto Dexholders were going to learn about the Sinnoh ones in HGSS and further connect them but...well we all know how HGSS went down.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

  25. #425
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Steven Stone's Villa<3 ~
    Posts
    768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macromind101 View Post
    But you have to consider that Sird has either directly or indirectly affected all Dexholders from Generations I-IV. If there is ever going to be a Sird defeat, then at least there should be a Dexholder reunion from Kanto to Sinnoh. I mean, c'mon even a mere Sird creation required a reunion from I-III.
    Oh yes, if Sird gets dealt with on-screen a reunion for it would definitely be best. It's just if something important like Sird getting beaten doesn't happen, then I would prefer not to have one unless the situation was right for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    At this point I'd much rather the characters just hear about the others, like how the Sinnoh Trio heard about Gold at the end of the Platinum chapter, or how we get references to Red but you don't actually see him. Acknowledgement of the others and their accomplishments is pretty much all I want now. I thought the Johto Dexholders were going to learn about the Sinnoh ones in HGSS and further connect them but...well we all know how HGSS went down.
    I'm fine with that too. And yeah, it was disappointing not to further connect them.
    "But sometimes I have to ask myself this question. It's true that to us his imaginings are nothing but the inventions of a busy mind. But to him, there simply is no other reality. Furthermore he is happy there.

    So why, I ask myself, why in the name of healing him must we drag him painfully into the world of our own reality?"

    ~Doctor's memo, from Silent Hill 2

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •