Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Unpopular opinions about Pokemon manga

You know I actually forgot about Sird. I first thought the next Dexholder team up would be to beat her up or something, but with Platinum over and Sird still at large that just seems so unlikely now. I don't know what Sird's plans are but now I'd be fine if she got defeated on panel. She does not need any connections to Team Plasma or the future Team Flare, so if she got beaten off panel then so be it. It'll just feel like a plot that got dropped.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

Or maybe she gave up and went into hiding.

Just feel like replying to a few things, don't mind me.

Quote Originally Posted by lolipiece View Post
    I beg to differ. Red has to be the least interesting Dex holder ever. The others were fine.
    I always liked Red, Blue (the boy) on the other hand will forever be as dull as a doorknob to me. He's a disgrace when comparing him to the personality of his game counterpart to be perfectly honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Honeyichigo View Post
    Yeah, they felt more like caricatures than characters a lot of the time, especially Sapphire.
    Yeah, Sapphire's whole wild child thing was a bit much. What's wrong with a regular tomboy character who just wants to prove that girls can kick *** in Pokemon battles just as boys can? I probably would've enjoyed Sapphire a lot more if she had been more like that...and if she wasn't completely overshadowed by Ruby in every way in the second half of that arc's storyline anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    All in all I hope we get another girl doing Gyms again at some point.
    Girls have done the most gym battling in Adventures really, with Sapphire and Platinum. That's why I was glad they have Black doing the gyms in the fifth gen story arc, he's really the first male main character who's been serious about gym battles. Red really only had Brock, and Erika I guess. Blaine's was just handed to him and he simply klepto'd the evil gym leaders' badges.

Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    There are still some ridiculous things that never made sense to me on Crys' team, why is her team mostly Gen 1 Pokemon? Seriously Hitmonlee? Why not Hitmontop? Though I guess it's okay considering Natee and Megaree seemed to get focused on the most iirc.
    I agree with this. Crystal's team has always felt extremely forgettable to me. I know Adventures isn't known for being the best at developing Pokemon personalities, but when you consider that Crystal was the main character of the book for two volumes and compare her team to others in similar positions, there aren't many stand-outs. Like compare Gold's team to Crystal's, his team all had great personality and development (well, aside from the useless Sunflora). Then again I have a lot of gripes with the G/S/C story arc in general as has been documented quite thoroughly in this thread, so I'll leave it at that for now. I will say that Crystal at least should've had a Mean Look-using Misdreavus or something, though. Just seemed like a perfect fit for her.

I haven't really been keeping up with Adventures in the past year or so, can somebody give me a brief summary of what's been going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Weedy Spyze View Post
    I haven't really been keeping up with Adventures in the past year or so, can somebody give me a brief summary of what's been going on?
    Blah blah, the League happened. Black won, but everything changed when Team Plasma attacked. Black fought N and won. Black fought Ghetsis and captured him. N left. More will be finished in the volumes.

B2W2 start. Main characters are Rakutsu (boy) and Faitsu (girl). Rakutsu's an International Police member. Faitsu's a former Plasma Grunt.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Or maybe she gave up and went into hiding.
    I think they need to at least finish Sird off. Whether it's on panel or off at this point I don't care. I still think Sird should have been finished off in Platinum with Team Galactic. That fact that she wasn't just implies she could possibly have ties to someone else or form a alliance with them. I suppose we just have to wait.

I think they need to at least finish Sird off. Whether it's on panel or off at this point I don't care. I still think Sird should have been finished off in Platinum with Team Galactic. That fact that she wasn't just implies she could possibly have ties to someone else or form a alliance with them. I suppose we just have to wait.
    I think that the reason Sird wasn't with the other Galactic commanders in the Platinum chapter was because Mewtwo was still chasing her and she knew that she couldn't evade Mewtwo successfully if she was loafing around with the other commanders and Cyrus. And I have a feeling that Sird's obsession with the Pokedexes will cause a Dexholder reunion sometime in the future. Maybe she will organize the PWT?

Quote Originally Posted by Macromind101 View Post
    I think that the reason Sird wasn't with the other Galactic commanders in the Platinum chapter was because Mewtwo was still chasing her and she knew that she couldn't evade Mewtwo successfully if she was loafing around with the other commanders and Cyrus. And I have a feeling that Sird's obsession with the Pokedexes will cause a Dexholder reunion sometime in the future. Maybe she will organize the PWT?
    The thing is, it should not have taken Sird this long to be defeated. They couldn't have written some excuse of Sird losing Mewtwo or something? If Sird isn't dealt with in a supposed PWT then what are we waiting for with her?

Blah blah, the League happened. Black won, but everything changed when Team Plasma attacked. Black fought N and won. Black fought Ghetsis and captured him. N left. More will be finished in the volumes.

B2W2 start. Main characters are Rakutsu (boy) and Faitsu (girl). Rakutsu's an International Police member. Faitsu's a former Plasma Grunt.
    Thanks for the info. Ghetsis being captured is super lame. What happened to N? Is he still that same generically mysterious villain he was in the early chapters? Oh yeah, have I ever posted that here? I don't like Adventures!N at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Macromind101 View Post
    And I have a feeling that Sird's obsession with the Pokedexes will cause a Dexholder reunion sometime in the future. Maybe she will organize the PWT?
    And take away Clay's job? No thanks.

I've been hard on Sird in the past, and I still really couldn't care less if she ever shows her ugly mug again. The time for dealing with her has just passed a long time ago if you ask me. Maybe she'll be involved with whatever they're going to do with Mewtwo's new forms.

Thanks for the info. Ghetsis being captured is super lame. What happened to N? Is he still that same generically mysterious villain he was in the early chapters? Oh yeah, have I ever posted that here? I don't like Adventures!N at all.

And take away Clay's job? No thanks.

I've been hard on Sird in the past, and I still really couldn't care less if she ever shows her ugly mug again. The time for dealing with her has just passed a long time ago if you ask me. Maybe she'll be involved with whatever they're going to do with Mewtwo's new forms.
    If Ghetsis was really captured, then he probably escaped in volume-only rounds because there was a scene in B2W2 where Ghetsis was thanking Colress for his good work and asked him if he wanted to do future businesses with Plasma. And also, Ghetsis has to be present for B2W2 to wreak havok with Kyurem.

Oh sorry I forgot that it was Clay who organized the PWT in the games. In this case, scratch my words.

I've grow to like N is PokeSpe a little more. His expressionlessness does indicate some depth to him (trauma perhaps?) and it's a respectable interpretation of him, despite what issues I may take with him.

You know I actually forgot about Sird. I first thought the next Dexholder team up would be to beat her up or something, but with Platinum over and Sird still at large that just seems so unlikely now. I don't know what Sird's plans are but now I'd be fine if she got defeated on panel. She does not need any connections to Team Plasma or the future Team Flare, so if she got beaten off panel then so be it. It'll just feel like a plot that got dropped.
    TBH, I think she should have been dealt with before crap got all massive. We have so many Dex Holders that I can't see her being done in with all of them appearing in a satisfying manner, maybe just having the Kanto quartet defeat her or bringing choice Dex Holders together for the occasion? Or just have her dealt with my Rakutsu or the future XY Dex Holders.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    His expressionlessness does indicate some depth to him (trauma perhaps?)
    Uh... how? Being a totally flat unemotive character is basically the exact opposite of having depth, and "lol it's because trauma" is a cheap and overused device. N's actions made him feel as flat and living-plot-devices as some of the Pokemon in Special, for christ's sake. Even his views no longer made sense (Pokemon trainer-ing is horrible but battling is the best thing ever? Really.)

98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

Uh... how? Being a totally flat unemotive character is basically the exact opposite of having depth, and "lol it's because trauma" is a cheap and overused device. N's actions made him feel as flat and living-plot-devices as some of the Pokemon in Special, for christ's sake. Even his views no longer made sense (Pokemon trainer-ing is horrible but battling is the best thing ever? Really.)
    Yeah, I agree with this, pretty overall one-dimensional with some moments of redeeming sprinkled in. Though the only moment I really remember is Musha peeking into his dreams and us seeing Zorua and the other Pokemon. N in PokeSpe is a psychopathic, infantile toddler compared to the man child he is in-game.

N in PokeSpe is a psychopathic, infantile toddler compared to the man child he is in-game.
    I couldn't agree more. N is so much cooler in the game...

Quote Originally Posted by fudgematron View Post
    I couldn't agree more. N is so much cooler in the game...
    Since when is generic anti-villain "cool?"

Even his views no longer made sense (Pokemon trainer-ing is horrible but battling is the best thing ever? Really.)
    There's a difference though. His problem with Pokemon trainers is them owning and controlling Pokemon, and Pokemon can still battle without a trainer. I do agree I'm underwhelmed by Special! N though, but personally I love how crazy and creepy he appears a lot of the time.
    Last edited by 1dbad; 4th August 2013 at 3:35 AM.
    "But sometimes I have to ask myself this question. It's true that to us his imaginings are nothing but the inventions of a busy mind. But to him, there simply is no other reality. Furthermore he is happy there.

So why, I ask myself, why in the name of healing him must we drag him painfully into the world of our own reality?"

~Doctor's memo, from Silent Hill 2

Since when is generic anti-villain "cool?"
    I guess having a coherent backstory and character development helps. :P

Quote Originally Posted by 1dbad View Post
    There's a difference though. His problem with Pokemon trainers is them owning and controlling Pokemon, and Pokemon can still battle without a trainer. I do agree I'm underwhelmed by Special! N though, but personally I love how crazy and creepy he appears a lot of the time.
    I can see that, but it still feels contradictory and nonsensical. Besides, the part of point of Plasma and N was to address concern that Pokemon was about cockfighting. Having a character who represented that viewpoint so it could be disproved have that view completely flipped ruins that.

I also remember N complaining about the Tepigs staying in a hotel room despite the two quite evidently enjoying themselves. Some great "listening" skills, right there.

98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

I never said I loved every bit of him and I admit that N could've been presented better. Maybe with a wider range of emotions.

There are still some ridiculous things that never made sense to me on Crys' team, why is her team mostly Gen 1 Pokemon? Seriously Hitmonlee? Why not Hitmontop? Though I guess it's okay considering Natee and Megaree seemed to get focused on the most iirc.
    I guess with Gold and Silver they thought they didn't need to show off as many more and could use some more Kanto ones that didn't get any spotlight? xD Or maybe they won popularity polls? (since that is part of how they decide the teams)

Girls have done the most gym battling in Adventures really, with Sapphire and Platinum. That's why I was glad they have Black doing the gyms in the fifth gen story arc, he's really the first male main character who's been serious about gym battles. Red really only had Brock, and Erika I guess. Blaine's was just handed to him and he simply klepto'd the evil gym leaders' badges.
    Yeah, I was so happy to see that too, especially since he wanted to go after the League as well. I also liked how prepared he was for each gym battle too.

I will say that Crystal at least should've had a Mean Look-using Misdreavus or something, though. Just seemed like a perfect fit for her.
    That would've been so awesome. I'm so disappointed they didn't do that.

I guess having a coherent backstory and character development helps. :P
    For sure, but personality-wise he felt kind of bland to me. Special however gave him a personality that managed to intrigue me.

I can see that, but it still feels contradictory and nonsensical. Besides, the part of point of Plasma and N was to address concern that Pokemon was about cockfighting. Having a character who represented that viewpoint so it could be disproved have that view completely flipped ruins that.

I also remember N complaining about the Tepigs staying in a hotel room despite the two quite evidently enjoying themselves. Some great "listening" skills, right there.
    Isn't that a problem with every canon's version of Team Plasma though? :P And I know that was the case in the games, but did N ever say that in this canon? I seem to only remember him not liking people being with and using Pokemon, not anything about battles.

And I don't remember that. When did he say that?
    Last edited by 1dbad; 4th August 2013 at 5:56 AM.
    "But sometimes I have to ask myself this question. It's true that to us his imaginings are nothing but the inventions of a busy mind. But to him, there simply is no other reality. Furthermore he is happy there.

So why, I ask myself, why in the name of healing him must we drag him painfully into the world of our own reality?"

Isn't that a problem with every canon's version of Team Plasma though? :P And I know that was the case in the games, but did N ever say that in this canon? I seem to only remember him not liking people being with and using Pokemon, not anything about battles.

And I don't remember that. When did he say that?
    Plasma's either hypocritical or clueless, yeah. :P

I'm not sure what you mean- if you're talking about Special!N supporting battles, he said that when he took Gigi from White.

Aaaaand... I forget. :P

I'm not sure what you mean- if you're talking about Special!N supporting battles, he said that when he took Gigi from White.

Aaaaand... I forget. :P
    Oh sorry, should've been more clear. Yeah I remember him saying that there, what I was wondering was whether he had said anything contradictory in a previous chapter.

Mhm. :P
    Last edited by 1dbad; 5th August 2013 at 2:04 AM.

Oh sorry, should've been more clear. Yeah I remember him saying that there, what I was wondering was whether he had said anything contradictory in a previous chapter.

Mhm. :P
    No, I don't think he's directly contradicted himself in Special. I just don't feel like his beliefs form a coherent whole, is all.

... I think it was somewhere around where Black and White had only just joined up. Don't ask me for the chapter numbers, I only read the cruddy scanlations that only covered chapters from one magazine.

No, I don't think he's directly contradicted himself in Special. I just don't feel like his beliefs form a coherent whole, is all.

... I think it was somewhere around where Black and White had only just joined up. Don't ask me for the chapter numbers, I only read the cruddy scanlations that only covered chapters from one magazine.
    Ah okay, gotcha. It's odd...on one hand his beliefs don't seem as crazy not minding them to battle, but on the other disliking Pokemon battling did form a better whole like you said.

Hmm, I'm not seeing it there. All he kept talking about was Pokemon trapped in their Pokeballs, so he probably would've liked them being kept in a hotel better. XD
    Last edited by 1dbad; 5th August 2013 at 2:40 AM.

Well I'm glad to see I'm not alone in my distaste to the manga version of N, lol. I just don't like it when they decide to take a character with such a great character/personality in the games and completely rob them of that for the sake of making another "dark and mysterious" character. It was bad enough when they did it with Silver and Blue, but N takes the cake completely for me because that is just not what I see his character being about. N in the games is a manchild with an interesting and complex backstory who just doesn't understand what could be wrong with what he was trying to accomplish. Here, he's just like any other cliche calm and serious antagonist. Maybe I'll like him more when I bother reading the later rounds of the BW chapter, but seriously, seeing him drawn like this? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ages/GigiN.jpg Makes me cringe every single time.

Exactly.

And lol @ this. I wonder how the games version of N would respond to that situation.
    Last edited by Weedy Spyze; 5th August 2013 at 3:46 PM.

And lol @ this. I wonder how the games version of N would respond to that situation.
    I think he'd dislike how unfair that those Tepig get to live in luxury with the rest of Black and White's Pokemon aren't. Maybe not cry over it but he seems like the kind of guy to find fault in anything to affirm his beliefs.

Special!N to me is a mixed bag. I don't think he's bad here but I do feel that he's misinterpreted.

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast