Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Unpopular opinions about Pokemon manga

Just be happy that once Zekrom shows up, N stops being emotionless.

Am I the only one who thinks the Ultimate Moves are overused? In FRLG, it seemed like the Ultimate Moves were used at the drop of a hat. They're suppose to symbolize something special and have a cost with making the Pokemon stationary after usage. It seems like they're handed out like candy and just don't seem to be that important anymore and I feel they should be used more on special occasions. Same thing with starter Pokemon, Kimberly has a Meganium and Feraligtr? Why can any old riffraff have a starter Pokemon these days? Silver had to steal his Totodile and Platinum only got hers because her father works closely with Rowen. Even then she's swimming in money and I don't think any old pedestrian could have a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks the Ultimate Moves are overused? In FRLG, it seemed like the Ultimate Moves were used at the drop of a hat. They're suppose to symbolize something special and have a cost with making the Pokemon stationary after usage.
    I haven't read much of FRLG. What sort of Ultimate Moves do you mean?

Am I the only one who thinks the Ultimate Moves are overused? In FRLG, it seemed like the Ultimate Moves were used at the drop of a hat. They're suppose to symbolize something special and have a cost with making the Pokemon stationary after usage. It seems like they're handed out like candy and just don't seem to be that important anymore and I feel they should be used more on special occasions. Same thing with starter Pokemon, Kimberly has a Meganium and Feraligtr? Why can any old riffraff have a starter Pokemon these days? Silver had to steal his Totodile and Platinum only got hers because her father works closely with Rowen. Even then she's swimming in money and I don't think any old pedestrian could have a starter.
    I assume you mean Hydro Cannon, Blast Burn, and Frenzy Plant? I have voiced my disdain on how I don't like how they use the Ultimate Moves like regular common attacks, especially in HGSS. In FRLG the characters were learning to use the Ultimate Moves for the first time, so it's not hard too swallow that they use the moves a lot and the group attack at the end of Emerald was perfect Ultimate Move material, but they should reserve such moves for special fights not just throw them around like common Flamethrowers, Water Gun/Bubbleams. As for Kimberly owning Starters, I always assumed that was meant to say she had Pokemon that know the Ultimate Move. Only a Starter can learn the Ultimate Move so it would be weird if she had some random Pokemon that could not learn the Ultimate Moves. But even with that, I think we are to assume Starters are very rare in Adventures world.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

But in fact it has not overused yet. We have not even seen Shinnoh trio with thier Pokemon use Ultimate Moves.

The Ultimate Moves haven't been important since Emerald.

They were used a couple of times in HeartGold and SoulSilver, but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Weedy Spyze View Post
    Well I'm glad to see I'm not alone in my distaste to the manga version of N, lol. I just don't like it when they decide to take a character with such a great character/personality in the games and completely rob them of that for the sake of making another "dark and mysterious" character. It was bad enough when they did it with Silver and Blue, but N takes the cake completely for me because that is just not what I see his character being about. N in the games is a manchild with an interesting and complex backstory who just doesn't understand what could be wrong with what he was trying to accomplish. Here, he's just like any other cliche calm and serious antagonist. Maybe I'll like him more when I bother reading the later rounds of the BW chapter, but seriously, seeing him drawn like this? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ages/GigiN.jpg Makes me cringe every single time.
    To be honest the change with N is more to just amp up the creep factor (something that was already there a bit in the games), not so much to make him yet another calm and serious character. And he can actually be quite dramatic and emotional, with his disturbing, crazy faces and what not. And it's not like his backsory has been changed, or he's no longer a manchild either. In fact his creepiness could be because of his manchildness, seeing as with his limited exposure to humans he probably has no idea how to properly interact with them.

And lol @ this. I wonder how the games version of N would respond to that situation.
    From what I'm seeing it didn't seem to happen, unless it actually happened in another chapter or something. (though that'd be unlikely since it would've made most sense in the Black vs N chapters) But I wonder too. I could see both game! and Special! N being unhappy about it due to them belonging in the wild and/or it not being fair to the rest of their teams or something, but at the same time they're being pampered and in a place a lot better than a Pokeball so who knows, lol.
    Last edited by 1dbad; 6th August 2013 at 7:59 AM.
    "But sometimes I have to ask myself this question. It's true that to us his imaginings are nothing but the inventions of a busy mind. But to him, there simply is no other reality. Furthermore he is happy there.

So why, I ask myself, why in the name of healing him must we drag him painfully into the world of our own reality?"

~Doctor's memo, from Silent Hill 2

N's emotions seem like they change at the drop of a hat.

Normally, he's his "normal" expressionless self.

However, he tends to go emotional when something Pokemon related happens.

I'd complain about stuff like "Lava Surfing" but when I remember what game PokeSpe's based off (you go to Mt. Chimney and get REAL close to lava), I can't help but think, "Nah, it's not worth it."

^ There's a difference between surfing on it and being close to it, though. Surfing usually means a higher chance on getting the liquid on you for one thing...
    90% of pokemon fans hate/dislike Pikachu, if you are one of the 10% who don't, copy and paste this in your signature (started by Rukario907)
    ~Treasure Fighter (Kiyomaro's Theme)~ and Fuji Syuusuke ~Claimed

My Journey Log of Pokemon White
    Warning: General jerkiness and sarcasm abound. Of course, spoilers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilchibi_pichu View Post
    ^ There's a difference between surfing on it and being close to it, though. Surfing usually means a higher chance on getting the liquid on you for one thing...
    Yes, but being close to lava like in the games would give you major burns in real life. Hell, you go INSIDE the Mt. Chimney volcano. With that in mind, lava surfing in Pokemon: seem legit to me. I'm not saying you shouldn't point out these moments where the laws of physics are beaten to a bloody pulp period. Just that this sort of thing in anything Pokemon shouldn't be such a shock.

Just remember everything in Pokespe follows the rule of cool.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Yes, but being close to lava like in the games would give you major burns in real life. Hell, you go INSIDE the Mt. Chimney volcano. With that in mind, lava surfing in Pokemon: seem legit to me. I'm not saying you shouldn't point out these moments where the laws of physics are beaten to a bloody pulp period. Just that this sort of thing in anything Pokemon shouldn't be such a shock.
    I didn't think about it giving you burns by standing close, but it makes sense and you do have a point. Perhaps it's how far some people's suspension of disbelief can stretch. I know when I saw the surfing, I thought "What the heck?? xD" while I didn't really blink an eye at going inside a volcano. I guess the surfing on lava is more absurd because there was not much like it before in PokeSpe.
    90% of pokemon fans hate/dislike Pikachu, if you are one of the 10% who don't, copy and paste this in your signature (started by Rukario907)
    ~Treasure Fighter (Kiyomaro's Theme)~ and Fuji Syuusuke ~Claimed

My Journey Log of Pokemon White
    Warning: General jerkiness and sarcasm abound. Of course, spoilers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilchibi_pichu View Post
    I guess the surfing on lava is more absurd because there was not much like it before in PokeSpe.
    Well, Pika's substitute being used as a surfboard in lava which it's apparently not affected by might be stretching it.

Personally, I'd be more concerned by Substitute inexplicably repelling water and lava. Just, what's the reasoning behind that? Is there any?

98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

Quote Originally Posted by Honeyichigo View Post
    Personally, I'd be more concerned by Substitute inexplicably repelling water and lava. Just, what's the reasoning behind that? Is there any?
    Only one: It's Pokemon beating physics over the head with an aluminum bat and shooting it in the balls be it in the Anime, games or various Manga. I've been a fan since Gen 3 and I've more or less resigned myself to this fact. Just ask Ash and Team Rocket who have been electrocuted their whole life. Or Alder who leaped off a high cliff without breaking his legs.
    Last edited by matt0044; 19th August 2013 at 11:59 PM.

Substitute is made of energy. Apparently, the energy has the ability to repel certain forces.

Remember when Red had Pika use Substitute to get through Sabrina's Mr. Mime's Light Screen?

I think that anything about "lava surfing" just because reference to "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure". Even "Journey to the Center of the Earth" the protagonists rise up by magma as the climax. lol

Quote Originally Posted by lolipiece View Post
    Substitute is made of energy. Apparently, the energy has the ability to repel certain forces.

Remember when Red had Pika use Substitute to get through Sabrina's Mr. Mime's Light Screen?
    If that's the case, then how do you destroy a Substitute if it repels what most attacks are made of? That would make it work more like Protect.

98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

Quote Originally Posted by Macromind101 View Post
    But looking at the extent to which Kusaka tried to keep up traditions (such as creating a whole new character when there was an already perfectly developed character to fill the role; talking about Emerald and Wally btw), I don't think he'll suddenly break a tradition after all the hard work (and sometimes even unnecessary work) he's done. So I seriously doubt that Hugh will become a Dexholder. And remember what Coronis said: Rakutsu may not even be his real name; he said he goes by the name Rakutsu in the school. In English, Rakutsu's "code name" is Black 2. Something tells me that Kusaka intended for Rakutsu's "official name" to be Black 2, despite it being only a code name. We'll see when Netkun updates. Also, Faitsu may very well not be her real name. She probably was forced to change her name to cut her ties with Team Plasma and she may have been called White 2 as a codename when she was with Plasma. Remember that (in English, anyways) Yellow was supposed to be a codename to substitute for Amarillo de Viridian but everyone still called her Yellow after the Yellow chapter. Kusaka probably gave Rakutsu and Faitsu alternate names because I doubt anyone would name their child a name with a number in it (even in Japan) but he still intended for them to be called Black 2 and White 2.
    At that time, keeping the tradition was easy. Now, it's becoming more difficult to keep the tradition and Kusaka will have to break it at some point. He already has four Dex Holders and only three species to deal with, there's no way to get over this without giving Dexes to Hue and someone to fill the first BW team (N?).

And stop saying Yellow is a nickname. It isn't. It's her real name, even the official site says this:
    本名…イエロー・デ・トキワグローブ
    "Real name: Yellow de TokiwaGrove".
    The Amarillo thing only exists in the English version (and maybe other international versions that may have used the English version for their translation), and in my opinion was done because the translators felt like telling her name when she was supposed to hide it was stupid.

Now I wonder, what would Kusaka have done if we had sequels in Gen. IV instead? He had already given out the three Dexes, and Berlitz was already established as a main character.

Quote Originally Posted by Trutown View Post
    So I guess that is another unpopular opinion: I don't like how Pokemon Adventures cannot decide if it is of the Science Fiction, Sci-Fi, or Fantasy genre.
    Why can't it be all of them? Have you heard of Science Fantasy?

Thanks for the info.
    We also got a special in Pokémon the Comic. It takes place immediately after the GSC arc. It shows Red and Gold's training, where Pich is attacked by a wild Fushigibana (Venusaur) and Nyorodon (Poliwrath), and Pika is initially unable to attack them because of their resemblance to his friends. Red also notes that the two Pokémon are unusually strong, and perfectly able to work together, what is here for wild Pokémon. In my opinion, this could be foreshadowing something, and i think these Pokémon may be connected to the unused army in Tokiwa (Viridian) forest. Lolipiece brought up the possibility of Achroma (Colress) being involved in the creation of the army, because its point was creating strong Pokémon.

In the end of the chapter, Red asks Gold about the "Super Rising Thunder" that he used to defeat the Masked Man. Gold said he didn't know the move's name and just made up one, and Red says he found the's true name in a book: Voltecker (Volt Tackle). Red also has a posted showing Pikachu, Pichu, Plusle, Minun, Pachirisu and Emolga (despite the fact that this chapter takes place after the Hoenn Pokémon were just discovered) and a Lizardon poster saying "Charizard", the latter of which confuses Gold. Red tells him that Lizardon is named "Charizard" overseas and he got the poster from a foreign friend, and Gold jokingly aks "Hey, what if Voltecker is named Super Rising Thunder in that distand land?". Red also borrows his gloves to Gold so that he could train with Pich, and we see that they have transparent fingers, fixing the plothole of Red's fingers being unprotected.

In the chapter, Red is also seen watching the same show Diamond watched when he was 4, implying DP happens three years after HGSS.

In the most recent BW2 chapter, Handsome (Looker) was attacked by a wild Pendror (Scolipede), and Rakutsu noted its unusual strength. Someone noticed the scene's resemblance to the scene in Pokémon the Comic, and it's possible that those two events are connected despite the 11 years gap (assuming fan calculations are correct, and nothing has contradicted them so far) between them.

Quote Originally Posted by multiple people
    (Ranting about superpowers)
    I don't see what is the problem with superpowers. Look at what is stated in the games:
    Psychic power isn't something that only a few people have. Everyone has psychic power. People just don't realize it.
    In other words, if a game ever decides to use this, we may have an entire team of Dex Holders with psychic powers.

What I don't like about the manga is how the characters never change their clothes unless they get new clothes in the games. This means that Yellow and Emerald will probably be stuck with their current clothes forever. I understand that there's the thing about being truthful to the source material, and marketing reasons for having characters wearing the same clothes all the time, but at least give them original clothes when they reappear in new arcs.
    Outside of Ruby and Sapphire wearing red and blue clothes in the Emerald arc, Red having that red bandana thing in his leg, Gold wearing goggles, and Mitsuru wearing that green oxygen suit (not a main character, but he was originally intended to be one, so I’m counting him in this list), Kusaka and Yamamoto win no points with me in this department. I wonder if the main characters will wear new clothes in the World Tournament, since they are much older, and if with the customization thing in XY they’ll design original clothes at some point.

I hope Kusaka becomes less rigid with the name tradition at some point. Mitsuru not receiving a Dex can at least be excused by him not having one in the games, but what about Cheren, Bel, and Hue? If this goes on, he'll strip every Rival from their Dexes, and we'll never have a Rival being a main character again, which is why I think the tradition should be partially ignored.

If Mitsuru can't have a Dex or be a main character because he doesn't have a game name, then why not give him a surname that relates to the game names? Like, get the "sa" (サ) in "Sapphire", the "me" (メ) in "Emerald", and the "ru" (ル) in "Ruby" and form "Sameru". Done, you have a character named after all three games, and you also have a pun, as "Sameru" (褪める) means "to discolor", referring to the fact his name is not colored. But if Kusaka ever decides to give him a colored surname, maybe he'll use "Verdant", referring to the Verdant Orb (Jade Orb in the English version) that is related to Rayquaza in the games.
    Anime... PAAWAA!!!

I still think Wally could've been in Emerald's role (I don't hate Emerald like some though) if his surname was Emerald. Or if he needed an alias of sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    I still think Wally could've been in Emerald's role (I don't hate Emerald like some though) if his surname was Emerald. Or if he needed an alias of sorts.
    That's waht i thought was going to happen... And for a while after the Emerald Chapter came out, I thought that it was focused on him...
    font size one

The entire series has been disordered begin in BW, although it still maintains its logical, but for people who did not touch the series and games should be some confusion. I hope in the end of B2W2 Kusaka can deal with these confusion.

And I also hope that is not so disordered to XY, but it now seems will continue to be a difficult problem to solve.

Am I the only one who really could care less for "game accuracy" 100% in Pokespe? This is heavily complained about, but honestly? Who in the world wants a direct game copy in manga form, this manga is interesting simply because it's willing to do things different and try different ideas. Which is why it sucked to me that the BW chapters seemed so close to their game counterparts.

Which is why it sucked to me that the BW chapters seemed so close to their game counterparts.
    If only so much, what with many details changed. It's far from a carbon copy for sure.

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast