Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Unpopular opinions about Pokemon manga

I didn't think the time to rage was here to come...:

1. What happened with the legendary birds. Seriously. So much backstory and potential, and after Green used them in the Ilex Forest, she had no use for them afterwards, and we saw nothing bout them. The relationship that Red had with Articuno. Nothing happened there. They were the main agenda of the Rocket arc of RB.

2. Misty and Red. That's all I'm saying.

3. Entei and Blaine. His cure from Mewtwo happened so briefly...

4. Crys was complete waste of time. The only thing I enjoyed was when Chikorita nearly drowned. Seriously.

5. Crys and Gold. *sigh*

6. Suicune challenging the leaders was a waste of time.

7. The backstory on Karen and Will was not expanded upon.

8. Giovanni being Silver's father was completely irrelevant, due to the fact that Giovanni hadn't been seen for the GSC and most of the FR/LG arc.

9. Lance being defeated by Yellow. Wait, wut?

10. Chuchu and Pika. No expansion on there...
    Subscribe for Pokémon, Sonic, League of Legends, and more Videogame antics! c:

Speedruns:
    Sonic Lost World Any% - TBD (WR is ??? by DsS) (Wii U)
    Bible Adventures (Baby Moses) - TBD (WR is 1:53 by Flower Time) (NES)
    Ratchet & Clank 3 UYA - TBD (WR is 1:27:19 by insomniacnintendo) (PS2/3)
        Spoiler:- ILs (Individual Levels):

^ Not trying to sound rude, but I wish you wouldn't say things like "That's all I'm saying," or "No expansion on there," or "Red is clearly the strongest dex holder." We're not psychics, we don't know exactly what you're trying to say to us unless you explain it.

You kinda have a point with the legendary birds. What did happen to them after GSC? I'm not really interested enough in finding out, though.

I do agree with you about Karen and Will. It seriously seemed like they were just thrown in at the last second, with no build up and were merely used as filler villains. You could've put pretty much anyone else in their place...like, say, those two rocket executives they turned into masked children. Still, I guess it was nice they had some kind of role, unlike the Sinnoh Elite Four who besides Flint, did absolutely nothing.

And Giovanni being Silver's father wasn't irrelevant. It was heavily implied that was so in the FRLG games, when a scientist in the Sevii Islands says "Giovanni's kid has red hair." Then in the HGSS games, it was confirmed. It was a nice backstory for both of those characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Weedy Spyze View Post
    ^ Not trying to sound rude, but I wish you wouldn't say things like "That's all I'm saying," or "No expansion on there," or "Red is clearly the strongest dex holder." We're not psychics, we don't know exactly what you're trying to say to us unless you explain it.

You kinda have a point with the legendary birds. What did happen to them after GSC? I'm not really interested enough in finding out, though.

I do agree with you about Karen and Will. It seriously seemed like they were just thrown in at the last second, with no build up and were merely used as filler villains. You could've put pretty much anyone else in their place...like, say, those two rocket executives they turned into masked children. Still, I guess it was nice they had some kind of role, unlike the Sinnoh Elite Four who besides Flint, did absolutely nothing.

And Giovanni being Silver's father wasn't irrelevant. It was heavily implied that was so in the FRLG games, when a scientist in the Sevii Islands says "Giovanni's kid has red hair." Then in the HGSS games, it was confirmed. It was a nice backstory for both of those characters.
    é
    Yeah, sorry bout that. I just thought it was rather obvious, being at the end of the GSC arc Misty and Red were on the Pokégear, and Red was being really awkward next to Yellow >:P.

Also, with the Pika and Chuchu thing, I mean that there was no expansion on Gold's Pichu and their Egg that they had.

Speedruns:

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonOwn View Post
    é
    Yeah, sorry bout that. I just thought it was rather obvious, being at the end of the GSC arc Misty and Red were on the Pokégear, and Red was being really awkward next to Yellow >:P.

Also, with the Pika and Chuchu thing, I mean that there was no expansion on Gold's Pichu and their Egg that they had.

Please tell me your're kidding about that last part. Seriously?!

Quote Originally Posted by Hero of Ideals View Post
    Please tell me your're kidding about that last part. Seriously?!
    Please tell me why your comment was so helpful towards this thread?

Oh, wait.

One question, why do you say that.

Speedruns:

Please tell me why your comment was so helpful towards this thread?

Oh, wait.

One question, why do you say that.
    1. When I read on Gold's team for my Crossover, it said it came from Pika and ChuChu (Pichu)

2. Why I am shocked is they never explained it.

Well you see, when a mommy Pikachu and a daddy Pikachu love each other very much...

Well you see, when a mommy Pikachu and a daddy Pikachu love each other very much...
    If you two would stop treating me like an idiot for a moment, I would explain.

I knew it came from their egg. Why they never explained or expanded upon it was part of my rant. similar with Gold's Togepi.

Speedruns:

I know that, but does it sound a bit off that the first Pichu in Pokespe is the child of Red and Yellow's Pikachus?

And another thing that's odd. Blue conquers her fear of Birds... By catching the Legendary Birds of Kanto and was kidnap by what She thought was Ho-oh. Why not something smaller or beat a flying type.

If you two would stop treating me like an idiot for a moment, I would explain.

I knew it came from their egg. Why they never explained or expanded upon it was part of my rant. similar with Gold's Togepi.
    Calm down, I was joking.

I really don't see what needs to be explained here, but I'll try my best. Elm was given Togepi's egg by the daycare couple I presume (we later find out that the egg came from Jasmine's two Togetic), and he later gave it to Gold because he theorized it would hatch quicker if it was around active Pokemon. Pichu's egg also came from the daycare, after the couple saved Yellow and her "fisherman pal" when they were washed on shore by Lugia's attack.

If you want to know exactly how the eggs came into being I'm afraid I can't answer that question.

Quote Originally Posted by Hero of Ideals View Post
    I know that, but does it sound a bit off that the first Pichu in Pokespe is the child of Red and Yellow's Pikachus?
    No. In-universe, breeding, eggs, and even the Pichu species were all newly-discovered by the start of the Generation II games. In fact, Pichu was first discovered by Professor Elm himself, according to an NPC in New Bark Town. Or if you want to be exact to her words, she said that Elm discovered Pikachu was an evolved Pokemon, ha. So the very first Pichu being the child of Pika and Chuchu isn't really a Farfetch'd idea if you ask me.
    Last edited by Weedy Spyze; 3rd August 2012 at 9:20 PM.

Oh I see, I get it now.

(I'm new here, so I'm not so good with all these tools and stuff. Bear with me!) I have a few rather unpopular opinions about the series, them being:

1. If you are not a fan living in Japan (yay more alliteration), Blue is the boy and Green is the girl, yes.

2. I'm sort of "meh" with Gold, nor do I see why everyone loves Red so much...

I appreciate that Gold is a realistic character, but I just can't see him as a hero and his hot-blooded dumbness is a little tiring. Maybe it's just that he's too similar to Red after debuting in the arc right after his, I'm not sure. With Red, I just can't seem to make heads or tails of his personality. He seems to simply do whatever the writers feel like having him do and doesn't take a lot of direction on his own as a character.

3. I wanted Lyra to be in the HGSS arc. SOBAD. Get outta her clothes, Crystal!

I don't loathe Crystal, but I think the author has a thing for her or something. She gets a very positive portrayal compared to Gold and Silver, on top of receiving a lot of undue attention. Her arc was just unbearable to me, it made me hate Suicune. And Eusine, for that matter. As for wanting Lyra in the arc, I was hoping she would show up as maybe a younger Dex Holder, or possibly just an extra. I know the arc's not over yet, but it doesn't look like she could possibly do anything important at this point.

...It also wouldn't have hurt for her to interact with Silver... *diehardsoulsilvershipper*.

4. I don't like several of the female characters, including Yellow, Green and Platinum. I'm on the fence with Crystal; Sapphire's the only one I really like.

Usually when a character is introduced in an unfavorable manner, I tend to hold a grudge. Green and Platinum were two such characters. Green is worse than Platinum, imo, because she really doesn't redeem herself at all. What were her heroics compared to Red and Blue? Did she ever do anything that didn't have to do with herself? Her relationship with Silver grates on me also. It's annoying enough when dark characters get backstory morality pets, but being introduced as a selfish loser makes it 10x worse.

As for Yellow, the “Child of the Viridian Forest” schtick became just laughable after Giovanni joined the party. The entire thing was overwrought and silly. Couldn’t they have just stuck with Yellow? Or better yet, scrapped her and the whole arc? She was unecessary, overpowered, and quite frankly I'm tired of her type of character (cute and friendly until you piss her off. Yeah, yeah, heard it all before...).

Platinum is much the same as Green. While she isn't as bad as Green for me, her initial attitude got on my nerves and I also didn't like that she beat Sapphire's record. Not to mention that the DPPl arc is just way too long.

You want a real unpopular opinion? As in one many would be keen to tear apart on sight? Here one: I liked Volumes 10 and 11 for the GSC arc. Yes, Suicune, Crystal and all. Feel free to call the looney bin but I honestly liked it. Okay, there was certainly plenty of room for improvement, there could've been more mentions of Gold and Silver and Suicine's battles were exactly the best. But I found Crystal to be kinda cute and sweet and I felt for her during her slump after her Suicune encounter (let's just say I've been through similar moments). I also liked the Gym Leaders battling Suicune if only for the tricks and techniques used and actually seeing the Leaders in action due to no badge collecting but yeah, it could've been something more. Eusine was also amusing. For what it was worth, I liked it and it wasn't bad.

Also, I'm somehow able to like any character in the series since I'm not one to hold a grudge and I don't see the point in hating a fictional character outside certain circumstances for me (it's complicated). Gold is likable to me in that he's so unlikeable (likable-ception, right?) for instance and Green (the girl) is very mischievous in a cute way and I've always liked the thief with a heart of gold trope (haven't seen much of Emerald to determine but I imagine it'll be similar to Gold). I guess I don't have any characters I hate so much as like the least in Pokemon Special.

Am I the only one who sees that this thread has become less about opinions that go against popular opinions and more of a dumping grounds for stuff we hate about Pokemon Special? Or am I just nuts?

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Am I the only one who sees that this thread has become less about opinions that go against popular opinions and more of a dumping grounds for stuff we hate about Pokemon Special? Or am I just nuts?
    Well from what I've seen, usually whenever someone has an unpopular opinion to post it's negative more often than it is positive. But positive unpopular opinions exist too, and there's nothing wrong with a negative opinion. For me, I usually talk about stuff where I see improvements could've been made in the manga.

I wish I had some more of my own opinions to add, but I can't think of anything that I haven't already talked about in this thread.

Emerald in my opinion is the only Dex holder that gets on my nerves. Wally was MUCH better than him. Why'd you have to give back your Pokedex Wally? Why?!!!!!
        Spoiler:- Want my Friend Code?:

Well from what I've seen, usually whenever someone has an unpopular opinion to post it's negative more often than it is positive. But positive unpopular opinions exist too, and there's nothing wrong with a negative opinion. For me, I usually talk about stuff where I see improvements could've been made in the manga.

I wish I had some more of my own opinions to add, but I can't think of anything that I haven't already talked about in this thread.
    True. PokeSpe is great to me but by no means perfect. Wally should've been Emerald, certain opportunities could've been taken like Gold and Silver taking on Gyms and such. Hell, if Kusaka ever ended the Manga's story, he could maybe go back to make said improvements. If he wanted to...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRecon View Post
    Emerald in my opinion is the only Dex holder that gets on my nerves. Wally was MUCH better than him. Why'd you have to give back your Pokedex Wally? Why?!!!!!
    I do wish Kusaka pulled a Platinum Berlitz where his last name was Emerald. It could've worked one way or another. Hell, why do the Dex holders have to be named after the games their arc is based on or any sort of color or gemstone? Again, quite a coinkidink, huh?
    Last edited by matt0044; 5th August 2012 at 4:58 AM.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    I do wish Kusaka pulled a Platinum Berlitz where his last name was Emerald. It could've worked one way or another. Hell, why do the Dex holders have to be named after the games their arc is based on or any sort of color or gemstone? Again, quite a coinkidink, huh?
    Honestly, that could have worked, Wally to me was basically the Rival in the RSE games. While most consider Brenden/May to be the Rival, I feel as though they played a similar to the opposite gender protagonist in the Gen IV games. Maybe if they ever do come out with a RSE remake, Wally will be battled more often.

I really just wish the name tradition had ended starting with Ruby and Sapphire. I mean, that's really when the tradition started. Prior to Ruby/Sapphire (the games), the protagonists weren't given canon names, and for the most part were referred to as Red, Blue, Gold, etc. But Nintendo/Game Freak decided to give them actual names starting with gen III (which was a good idea imo), so I really wish Adventures had followed suit instead of just continuing to name them after their games. I much prefer referring to the gen III protagonists as Brendan and May rather than Ruby and Sapphire. And I much, much, much prefer calling the Sinnoh gang Lucas, Dawn, and Barry. They could've snuck in the game nods in more creative ways than just naming the protagonists after them. Platinum's diamond and pearl rings are a perfect example of that. Ending on a somewhat unrelated note, I've always thought it would've been neat if the Red and Blue Orbs had been called the Ruby Orb and Sapphire Orb instead.

I really just wish the name tradition had ended starting with Ruby and Sapphire. I mean, that's really when the tradition started. Prior to Ruby/Sapphire (the games), the protagonists weren't given canon names, and for the most part were referred to as Red, Blue, Gold, etc. But Nintendo/Game Freak decided to give them actual names starting with gen III (which was a good idea imo), so I really wish Adventures had followed suit instead of just continuing to name them after their games. I much prefer referring to the gen III protagonists as Brendan and May rather than Ruby and Sapphire. And I much, much, much prefer calling the Sinnoh gang Lucas, Dawn, and Barry. They could've snuck in the game nods in more creative ways than just naming the protagonists after them. Platinum's diamond and pearl rings are a perfect example of that. Ending on a somewhat unrelated note, I've always thought it would've been neat if the Red and Blue Orbs had been called the Ruby Orb and Sapphire Orb instead.
    Well the resulting shards from those orbs DID become named Ruby and Sapphire

Would I say that Earth Badge in Japan called Green Badge......? lol

And if SP named in accordance with the name of games,

Ethan and Lyra is embarrassing......

While they didn't have to continue the name thing I'm glad they did not just for tradition but for name seperation from their other counterparts. While the likes of Red, Silver, and Gold can be argued to have no names outside colors, starting from Gen 3 the player characters got real names. I liked that Kusaka didn't just hand them their game names as it's far easier to seperate them now in discussion if you were to say be having a discussion with a casual Pokemon fan instead of a big one. This is more effective with those that have more then one counterpart. Since the characters in Pokespecial rarely act like their game counterparts (The ones that have personalities) I don't see what's so wrong with giving them names that are not their game ones. Barry really isn't the gen 4 rivals official name game wise, it's just the most popular one and the one the anime choose, similar to Gary. For example I would hate to just dump the name May on Sapphire, there's already two May's in the Pokemon universe why not give the gen 3 girl a different name in Pokespecial to set her apart? She certainly doesn't act like the two May's we have already. Even if it's not a name based off the game I still wouldn't name her May. She's different so lets give her her own Identity.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRecon View Post
    Well the resulting shards from those orbs DID become named Ruby and Sapphire
    What? Oh, you mean those things from FireRed/LeafGreen that I can barely remember the existence of?

Quote Originally Posted by e9310103838 View Post
    And if SP named in accordance with the name of games,

Ethan and Lyra is embarrassing......
    My beloved nephew's name is Ethan, thank you very much. Please enlighten me on what's so 'embarassing' about that name.

Not that it matters anyway because they weren't called Ethan and Lyra in gen 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    While they didn't have to continue the name thing I'm glad they did not just for tradition but for name seperation from their other counterparts. While the likes of Red, Silver, and Gold can be argued to have no names outside colors, starting from Gen 3 the player characters got real names. I liked that Kusaka didn't just hand them their game names as it's far easier to seperate them now in discussion if you were to say be having a discussion with a casual Pokemon fan instead of a big one. This is more effective with those that have more then one counterpart. Since the characters in Pokespecial rarely act like their game counterparts (The ones that have personalities) I don't see what's so wrong with giving them names that are not their game ones. Barry really isn't the gen 4 rivals official name game wise, it's just the most popular one and the one the anime choose, similar to Gary. For example I would hate to just dump the name May on Sapphire, there's already two May's in the Pokemon universe why not give the gen 3 girl a different name in Pokespecial to set her apart? She certainly doesn't act like the two May's we have already. Even if it's not a name based off the game I still wouldn't name her May. She's different so lets give her her own Identity.
    Well, I absolutely do not agree with you at all, as my opinion which I stated in my original post is that the game counterparts' names are far superior to the names of their Adventures counterparts. Good day. The only Adventures name that I prefer to the game name is Green over Leaf. Not that it matters because Leaf does not exist in any form according to most recent game canon. Sorry, random girl. You never had any hope of being as awesome as Red or Blue.

For the record though, Barry is as offiicial a name as Silver is for the generation II rival, since both names are taken from the first choice of optional names in Diamond and Gold respectively. And Gary is really only a popular name for Blue because of the anime, but eh. Gary and Ash are the first optional choice for Blue and Red respectively, though. Why the fandom likes to call Blue Gary, but not Red Ash, I don't know.

I'd dump the name May on Sapphire in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    I agree with this. I always thought it made the Dex Holders unique. Though it's a bit weird to think "so and so named their child Red" it doesn't matter because it's a manga. ^^; I actually dislike it when my friends who like have no idea of the manga call Platinum Berlitz "Dawn" and Sapphire "May" because it feels like they are talking about the game characters/anime characters. ~.~ And tbh....I don't think I could stand it if Black and White were called Hilbert and Hilda in the English volumes. :/
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

My beloved nephew's name is Ethan, thank you very much. Please enlighten me on what's so 'embarassing' about that name.

Not that it matters anyway because they weren't called Ethan and Lyra in gen 2.

I mean that the status of the names would be embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    I agree with this. I always thought it made the Dex Holders unique. Though it's a bit weird to think "so and so named their child Red" it doesn't matter because it's a manga. ^^; I actually dislike it when my friends who like have no idea of the manga call Platinum Berlitz "Dawn" and Sapphire "May" because it feels like they are talking about the game characters/anime characters. ~.~ And tbh....I don't think I could stand it if Black and White were called Hilbert and Hilda in the English volumes. :/
    Well now, I suppose it's a good thing I posted that in the unpopular opinions thread huh?

Quote Originally Posted by e9310103838 View Post
    I mean that the status of the names would be embarrassing.
    What do you mean by that?

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast