Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Unpopular opinions about Pokemon manga

Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    I agree with this. I always thought it made the Dex Holders unique. Though it's a bit weird to think "so and so named their child Red" it doesn't matter because it's a manga. ^^; I actually dislike it when my friends who like have no idea of the manga call Platinum Berlitz "Dawn" and Sapphire "May" because it feels like they are talking about the game characters/anime characters. ~.~ And tbh....I don't think I could stand it if Black and White were called Hilbert and Hilda in the English volumes. :/
    In 2008 That bugged the crap out of me. I've talked to many fans of Pokemon who have called Platinum "Dawn" and Sapphire "May" It only really bothered me one someone would say "Why's Dawn doing Gym Battles? Where's Ash?" Or "Why does May have those vampire fangs?" I tell you I would lose my temper over that. Nowadays I just calmly correct people and don't lose my cool over it. The funny thing about it is half the dub names of the player characters I don't even like. I never liked the name Barry for the gen 4 rival and I never name him that, thank goodness he has the option of being named, cause some your stuck with like Brendan, Lucas, May, Dawn, Bianca, and Cheren. I was not a fan of the names Brendan and Lucas either but warmed up to them.

Even if they weren't named after the games I would Hope Kusaka would just give them different names anyway for the sake of setting them apart from there other counterparts and I think this mainly applies to characters like Red, Green, Sapphire, and Platinum who have game counterparts and anime ones. Actually I think Sapphire and Platinum set that bar even higher considering their vastly different personalities. As far as Hilbert and Hilda go...thank goodness the name scheme still works for now. I detest the name Hilbert.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

I love the name Hilbert, such entertaining complaints and b**ching have come because of that name.

And Barry is such a better name than Pearl. I love that name for DPPt's rival. It suits him. Lucas and Brendan are also two of my favorite names.

I like the dub names, considering I grew up to the english Pokemon series and research on the Japanese version. Plus Barry and Hilbert are okay names in my book.

Referring to Hilbert and Hilda, they are consistent with the original intent.

Because the official referring to they named source are "fight" of Hilbert and Hilda while back.

Although I prefer the fan extends the meaning "transparent".

And the named source of Kyohei and Mei are "resonance".

About the names thing, Ruby is an acceptable normal first name. I knew a girl named Ruby once... Sapphire to some extent also (also less common). I also once knew a girl named Crystal, though her real name is Sherrie. Sort of like how my real name is [ Content Deleted ] and I go by Roy normally.

But I think that the Emerald character should not have existed and instead been Wally. He was so much better and he doesn't piss off of rooftops.
    Last edited by Orbis; 6th August 2012 at 11:30 PM. Reason: BECAUSE I CAN!
    "It's not who I am inside, but what I do that defines me."- Batman. Started by GreatGonzales

Quote Originally Posted by MrMimeEpik View Post
    He was so much better and he doesn't piss off of rooftops.
    I think many of us said enough of that already.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

Just out of curiosity, is there anyone here who actually does prefer Emerald over Wally? Because that's the unpopular opinion lol.

*Raises hand*

Wally was a terrible character in the games. (Two required battles? Worthless rival.)

This manga only made me like him slightly more. Slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Weedy Spyze View Post
    Just out of curiosity, is there anyone here who actually does prefer Emerald over Wally? Because that's the unpopular opinion lol.
    I prefer Emerald over Wally. I was going through some tough times when I got the Emerald arc volumes, and I'll say, he really cheered me up. He was so eccentric, and while the peeing off of rooftops was gross, I still got a good laugh out of it. Especially when Ruby got into the mix. XD

“...This is a tricky problem, huh. I really, really want to see the other Heroes... and if it works out, I want to make friends with them! If I made friends with six Heroes, I’d be an awesome mage! We could even conquer the world!”
    -Flatt Escardos, Fate Strange Fake
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204
    tumblr|fanfiction

Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    I prefer Emerald over Wally. I was going through some tough times when I got the Emerald arc volumes, and I'll say, he really cheered me up. He was so eccentric, and while the peeing off of rooftops was gross, I still got a good laugh out of it. Especially when Ruby got into the mix. XD
    I am actually like them if they make them into Partners or Rival. Because both of them are awesome. Emerald is so childish while Wally is so far the maturest person in Adv that I have ever seen. They could complete each other like Diamond and Pearl. Besides it would be high chance that they would meet each other because I think Emerald felt thanks because Wally had trained his Sceptile
    Last edited by Ludger; 7th August 2012 at 6:49 AM.
    Credit for Spockisnotimpressed's Tumblr

If you think the world should be a better place for everyone put this in you sig. (started by Mewmie the shiny Mew)

Quote Originally Posted by lolipiece View Post
    *Raises hand*

Wally was a terrible character in the games. (Two required battles? Worthless rival.)

This manga only made me like him slightly more. Slightly.
    What makes Emerald so much better in your opinion? Or are you just gonna leave it at the Wally diss?

Quote Originally Posted by Fake Psychic View Post
    They could complete each other like Diamond and Pearl.
    Huh? I shudder at the thought of Emerald and Wally being like Diamond and Pearl...

And I really doubt Emerald would care that Wally trained his Sceptile, being a rude punk who didn't like Pokemon and wanted nothing to do with Ruby and Sapphire and everything. Just sayin'.

I am actually like them if they make them into Partners or Rival. Because both of them are awesome. Emerald is so childish while Wally is so far the maturest person in Adv that I have ever seen. They could complete each other like Diamond and Pearl. Besides it would be high chance that they would meet each other because I think Emerald felt thanks because Wally had trained his Sceptile
    That've been a great idea. The rivals bit especially.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

I prefer Emerald over Wally. Not by much though. Truthfully I'm not crazy about either of them and Emerald's my least favorite Dexholder but I certainly don't hate him. Why I like him more then Wally? I don't know, Emerald is one of the rudest characters in the series yet he grew on me, especially at the end of the Emerald arc. That and I always thought Wally was kinda overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    Emerald is one of the rudest characters in the series yet he grew on me, especially at the end of the Emerald arc. That and I always thought Wally was kinda overrated.
    I might like him then. I think the point of him was that he was to be so unlikable that you'd like him.

Honestly, I wish Wally at least accompanied Emerald for that arc. It would've made for some interesting interactions and developments as characters.

That and I always thought Wally was kinda overrated.
    Couldn't agree more

And I really doubt Emerald would care that Wally trained his Sceptile, being a rude punk who didn't like Pokemon and wanted nothing to do with Ruby and Sapphire and everything. Just sayin'.
    Well in the end he is changed. Change of Hearts is always happenned in Adv. Take a look at Pryce and Cyrus for example. And take a look at Ruby as well

If you think the world should be a better place for everyone put this in you sig. (started by Mewmie the shiny Mew)

I thought (was his name Todd (?) based off of Pokemon Snap) played a nice foil to Emerald. I never hated Wally, but by the time I got into Pokemon Special I knew Emerald would be the 3rd Dex Holder and I found it interesting they brought in another character and gave him his own personality and such. Meh. xD I don't care if I have an unpopular opinion, it'll still remain one of my favorite arcs. xD

“...This is a tricky problem, huh. I really, really want to see the other Heroes... and if it works out, I want to make friends with them! If I made friends with six Heroes, I’d be an awesome mage! We could even conquer the world!”
    -Flatt Escardos, Fate Strange Fake
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204
    tumblr|fanfiction

I'm not sure how that would work as neither of them are rival material and Emerald isn't exactly someone you would want to be partnered with unless you're like Gold or Sapphire. I can see Emerald picking on Mitsuru and him generally having trouble dealing with him.

I prefer Emerald over Wally. Not by much though. Truthfully I'm not crazy about either of them and Emerald's my least favorite Dexholder but I certainly don't hate him. Why I like him more then Wally? I don't know, Emerald is one of the rudest characters in the series yet he grew on me, especially at the end of the Emerald arc. That and I always thought Wally was kinda overrated.
    Mitsuru is overrated? That's news to me.

I actually liked Emerald until the halfway through and especially at the end. I'm not sure what makes him an more interesting character than Mitsuru. At least, Mitsuru didn't try to make you feel sorry for him...
    90% of pokemon fans hate/dislike Pikachu, if you are one of the 10% who don't, copy and paste this in your signature (started by Rukario907)
    ~Treasure Fighter (Kiyomaro's Theme)~ and Fuji Syuusuke ~Claimed

My Journey Log of Pokemon White
    Warning: General jerkiness and sarcasm abound. Of course, spoilers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    I might like him then. I think the point of him was that he was to be so unlikable that you'd like him.
    Eh? If that's what they were going for then they're stupid. You can't dislike someone to a point so where you actually start to like him. That defies all logic.

Well in the end he is changed. Change of Hearts is always happenned in Adv. Take a look at Pryce and Cyrus for example. And take a look at Ruby as well
    Well with Emerald, I never really could bring myself to care that he 'changed' or 'got better' because I disliked him too much. He and Wally being partners or whatever it was you said would be so damn random, and I really wouldn't want to see it because frankly, I never ever ever want to see Emerald ever again. It's bad enough that he has to make cameos every now and then where he's shadowed out like he's supposed to be some kind of badass or something (lol, yeah right).

With Wally, I would like to see him meet up with Ruby again (a Wally vs. Ruby fight in place of Emerald vs. Ruby at the Battle Dome would've been glorious), or heck, even meet Sapphire. He never did. The thing with Wally is that his role in Adventures was actually less of what it was in the games (didn't appear in Mauville, didn't appear in Verdanturf, etc.), I assume because they were planning on him being the star of the Emerald arc. But then that plan was shelved, so Wally's absence in those parts of the storyline is made even more troubling for fans of his like me. Heck, his cousin (or whatever she was, Walda) got married in the Emerald arc and he wasn't even at the wedding! What was up with that? :|

Quote Originally Posted by Evilchibi_pichu View Post
    At least, Mitsuru didn't try to make you feel sorry for him...
    Exactly. He has the dreaded "uncurable cough" condition or whatever it is, but he never let it stop him from doing anything. That's one of the things I like most about Wally. He's so interesting and unique when it comes to Pokemon characters, there really isn't anyone else like him.
    Last edited by Weedy Spyze; 8th August 2012 at 3:37 PM.

Exactly. He has the dreaded "uncurable cough" condition or whatever it is, but he never let it stop him from doing anything. That's one of the things I like most about Wally. He's so interesting and unique when it comes to Pokemon characters, there really isn't anyone else like him.
    It's called asthma. I have it.

But the final thing about Wally I'm gonna say, and I think everyone should stop talking about him, is that he was probably the most interesting character than was in PS, and he was squandered for no good reason. And if Kusaka had used him instead of Emerald, the Emerald arc would've been one of my favorite arcs. He was the only good thing that came out of the RS arc......
    "It's not who I am inside, but what I do that defines me."- Batman. Started by GreatGonzales

Quote Originally Posted by MrMimeEpik View Post
    It's called asthma. I have it.
    Well it's never said for sure that he suffers from asthma. I just said "uncurable cough" because of tv tropes really. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...leCoughOfDeath

Well it's never said for sure that he suffers from asthma. I just said "uncurable cough" because of tv tropes really. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...leCoughOfDeath
    Yeah, but it always seemed to me that it's a really bad case of asthma. I certainly hope for Wally's sake that they have inhalers in the PS universe.

And I hope they have guns, condoms, and governments in the PS universe too...
    Last edited by Orbis; 9th August 2012 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Because I can, and I'm american

Quote Originally Posted by Evilchibi_pichu View Post
    I'm not sure how that would work as neither of them are rival material and Emerald isn't exactly someone you would want to be partnered with unless you're like Gold or Sapphire. I can see Emerald picking on Mitsuru and him generally having trouble dealing with him.

Mitsuru is overrated? That's news to me.

I actually liked Emerald until the halfway through and especially at the end. I'm not sure what makes him an more interesting character than Mitsuru. At least, Mitsuru didn't try to make you feel sorry for him...
    PokeSpecial wise, yeah Wally's very overrated, at least IMO. Gamewise he's not, he's probably one of the least talked about characters. There's a reason for that but we don't need to discuss it. You can't even talk about Emerald in a thread without someone mentioning Wally. It's like a package deal, you talk about Emerald, your almost always going to have Wally in the discussion as well.

Perhaps we should just make a Wally vs. Emerald thread/poll and be done with it lol. I'm sure it's been done in the past already.

Well with Emerald, I never really could bring myself to care that he 'changed' or 'got better' because I disliked him too much. He and Wally being partners or whatever it was you said would be so damn random, and I really wouldn't want to see it because frankly, I never ever ever want to see Emerald ever again. It's bad enough that he has to make cameos every now and then where he's shadowed out like he's supposed to be some kind of badass or something (lol, yeah right).

With Wally, I would like to see him meet up with Ruby again (a Wally vs. Ruby fight in place of Emerald vs. Ruby at the Battle Dome would've been glorious), or heck, even meet Sapphire. He never did. The thing with Wally is that his role in Adventures was actually less of what it was in the games (didn't appear in Mauville, didn't appear in Verdanturf, etc.), I assume because they were planning on him being the star of the Emerald arc. But then that plan was shelved, so Wally's absence in those parts of the storyline is made even more troubling for fans of his like me. Heck, his cousin (or whatever she was, Walda) got married in the Emerald arc and he wasn't even at the wedding! What was up with that? :|.
    Oh yeah I hope he would meet Sapphire soon enough. Which role that perfect for him is to become Prof Birch assistant. That way I would be happy so he would appear again. I am kinda miss him though. Emerald's character developement for me is worse than Wally. He is way too rushed for some reason. I think because of his braveness he deserve to have a pokedex or at least become Prof Assistant. Every Pokedex holders have their braveness recognized. Why not Wally ? Still I like both of them(Emerald and Wally). They are very interesting character. I would like to see them having journey together if you ask me(Well, this is my opinion though). I even ship them with Yellow :hammer.

Allright I started a new discussion

-The artwork for the first two volumes was terrible. All due respect to Ms. Mato, I know of her illness and that's why it wasn't that good and I'm glad she's since recovered, but it's still not an excuse for the shoddy artwork. Or at least it isn't for me. The artwork is half of the entertainment, after all. It needs to look its best.
    I never consider it is an unpopular opinions, but I think it is the one that made Adventures pretty classical at that time
    Last edited by Ludger; 14th August 2012 at 12:29 PM.

The Ruby/Sapphire arc mostly sucks. Ruby sucks. Sapphire sucks. The Groudon & Kyogre fight sucks. I'm glad it's not getting released in the US; it's no big loss at all.

Also, Courtney (the female Team Magma admin) was a terribly written, pointlessly overexposed character. Her popularity among fans of the arc is undeserved.

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast