Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Sale of the Century (New Players Always Welcome!)

Default Sale of the Century (New Players Always Welcome!)

Since a lot of my games died out recently, I figured I'd give this one a try.

SUMMARY:

Three contestants compete in a big money quiz.

ACTUAL RULES:

Each player is spotted $20 to start. The game then proceeds like this, further details past the list:

5 questions
    Instant Bargain
    5 questions
    Fame Game 1
    Commercial 1
    5 questions
    $ale Vault
    5 questions
    Fame Game 2
    Commercial 2
    5 questions
    Instant Bargain
    5 questions
    Ca$hCard
    5 questions
    Final Fame Game
    Final Question
    Bonus Round

And now the full rules:

Contestants begin with a score of $20.

QUESTIONS:

Each set of five questions will work like this: I will post 5 questions in a post. Each of the players will have 48 hours to PM me an answer and a buzzcode (explained in detail in a moment) to each question. After either 48 hours have passed or all three players have sent me answers, I will generate a buzzcode for each question. The player closest to the actual buzzcode will get to answer that particular question.

CORRECT ANSWERS ADD $5 TO YOUR SCORE
    INCORRECT ANSWERS TAKE AWAY $5 FROM YOUR SCORE

If there is a tie in who is closer to a buzzcode, the player who sent their answers first will get the question. Getting the buzzcode on the nose gives the player a Sale Chip, which is explained below.

Buzzcodes:

Each question has a number between 1-100 inclusive assigned to it, known as a buzzcode. When players send in their answer to a set of questions, they will include a buzzcode for each question. As said above, the player closest to the buzzcode will get to answer the question.

EXAMPLE:

Player A gives a buzzcode of 42.
    B gives a buzzcode of 81.
    C gives a buzzcode of 65.

If the buzzcode were, for example, 44, Player A would get to answer, as their buzzcode was the closest to the question's buzzcode. Any player can pass on any question if they feel they do not know the answer.

Instant Bargain:

After the first set of questions, and after the fifth set of questions, the player in the lead has the chance to buy a guaranteed prize with part of their score. The first instant bargain will generally be worth between $3,000 and $4,500, costing $6-$8. The later instant bargain will generally be worth at least $10,000, and will cost between $12 and $16. The host reserves the right to reduce the price for either of these bargains slightly, perhaps by about $2 to $3. Alternatively, the host can include a cash incentive of, at most, $1,000 for the first instant bargain, and $2,000 for the second instant bargain. Should there be a tie for first, any player tied for the lead can choose to purchase the bargain. If a player purchases a prize, the prize is theirs to keep regardless of whether they win or not. A sale chip may be used to buy an instant bargain, whether or not the player holding the chip is in the lead.

THE FAME GAME:

After certain sets of questions, the Fame Game is activated. The host reads a series of clues leading to a person, place, or thing. If a player buzzes in with the correct identity of the subject in question, they go to the fame game board; otherwise, they are locked out for the remainder of the clues.

The Fame Game board features 9 celebrities, which are changed from show to show. The player chooses a celebrity, which produces one of the following outcomes:

Cash Card: In the first fame game, a $10 card and a $5 card are available on the board; picking either of those adds that money to the player's score. Whether or not either is chosen, the second Fame Game adds a $15 card to the board; the third adds a $25 card, in addition to the Wildcard.

Wild Card: Available in only the third Fame Game, this allows the player in question to either take $5,000, or pick again in the hopes of adding money to their score.

Turbo: Available in the first two fame games, this makes the next set of questions worth $10 apiece; however, $10 is taken for an incorrect answer.

Lockout: Also available in the first two fame games, this allows the player who chooses the card to lock out either of their opponents for the next set of five questions; that opponent will not be able to buzz in on that set of questions.

Burglar: Available in all three Fame Games, this allows the player at the board to take $5 from one of their opponents; that $5 will then be added on to the selecting player's score.

Prize: Any spot not filled by any of the cards above will have a prize, worth between $2,000 and $3,500; a space could also contain cash which does not affect the score of the game. These are kept regardless of whether the player wins or not.

Sale Vault:

After the first set of questions in Round 2, the leading player may enter the Sale Vault for $10. The Sale Vault generates a random amount of money between $1 and $10,000; this cash is the player's to keep. As with the Bargains, the host can slightly reduce the price; they can also up the potential value of the vault to as much as $15,000.

Ca$hCard:

After the first set of questions after the second commercial break, the leading player, for $15, can pick one of four suits: Clubs, Spades, Diamonds, or Hearts. Each contains one of these variables:

$15: the player receives the $15 back onto their score.

Car Space: choosing this is one of two ways to play for the car in the bonus round, explained below. RETIRED AS OF EPISODE 4

Take $5: Works like the Burglar in the Fame Game. REPLACED Car Space AS OF EPISODE 4

Random Cash: This space adds an amount between $1 and $30 onto the player's score.

Ca$hCard: The namesake, this is a jackpot which starts at $10,000, with $5,000 added on each time it is not won. Once it is picked, the player wins the current jackpot, and it resets to $10,000 on the next show.

Final Question:

After the third Fame Game, the three players are shown a category and a question; each PMs me an answer and an amount of money up to their current score, a-la Final Jeopardy on that show. A correct answer adds the amount of money wagered, an incorrect answer does the opposite. At this point, the player with the most money wins the game, and goes on to the bonus round; the other two players keep any prizes won in the game, plus additional consolation prizes.
    (RETIRED AS OF EPISODE 5)

Century Round:

After the third Fame Game, ten more questions are played, with $10 on for a right answer, and 10 off for a wrong answer, with similar buzzcode rules to the above. In total, the questions are worth $100, hence the Century Round title. After those questions, the player with the most money wins the game.

Should there be a tie for first, a final Fame Game question is conducted between the tied players; a right answer wins the game, a wrong answer locks you out, unless only two players are tied; in that case, the other player wins the game.

SALE CHIP:

Providing an exact buzzcode earns that player a Sale Chip which can be used for the following:
    -Instant Bargain
    -Sale Vault
    -CashCard

If a player keeps their sale chip through to the bonus round, if they did not fulfill either of the requirements to go for the car, or have already won the car, they can choose any of the prizes remaining on the Winner's Board to win automatically. If they have fulfilled one of the requirements, they can choose to have the win space revealed for a shot at the car; explained more below. If a player loses with the chip still in possession, they receive $1,000 for the chip.

WINNER'S BOARD:

The winning contestant faces a twelve space board, containing six prizes worth up to $35,000 each in two spaces each. The player picks numbers off the board until they match a prize. For example:

the player picks 8, containing prize A.
    They then pick 12, containing prize B.
    Choosing 7, they reveal another prize A, meaning they win Prize A.

However, if a player:

-wins the game with a score of at least $100
    - or picks the car symbol in the Ca$hCard, then wins the game; NO LONGER AVAILABLE AS OF EPISODE 4

then one of the prize pairs will be replaced with a WIN! space and a Car space. Picking the WIN! space constitutes an automatic match with the next space picked. This is the only way to win the car. Once the car is won, the prize that was originally replaced returns to the board.

THE DECISION:

This player then faces a decision; leave with their main game winnings and any bonus round prizes, or return, risking their bonus game winnings.

If a champ returns the next show and loses, they keep any main game winnings from that game and previous main games; however, they lose any bonus prizes won.

If they win, however, they go to the Winner's board once again; prizes won in previous games are removed, as are the spaces matched to win those prizes.

It takes six games to clear the board; winning a seventh main game either:

-wins the player the remaining prize leftover, or
    -wins the player the car, if they have not won it already.

Then they have a decision; leave the game with the Winner's Board prizes, or play one final game. Winning this last main game wins the player all the Winner's Board prizes plus a cash jackpot that starts at $200,000 and increases by $5,000 each show until won, at which point it resets to $200,000. Winner's Board prizes switch every time someone wins the lot or leaves on their seventh game, at which point an entirely new set of Winner's Board prizes is changed in.

I actually have a headache after writing that over the past hour, but trust me, it's a lot less confusing once the game actually starts.

If you are confused at all with the rules, don't hesitate to PM me a question; I'll try my best to answer those questions.

If by some miracle you managed to get through those rules, I will need three players to start Episode 1.

WAITING LIST:
    NOBODY

WINNINGS FOR ALL PLAYERS:
    Jordie: $36,734 guaranteed so far in cash and prizes.
    Spite: $2,627 trip to New York + $6,046 cash
    CandleReaper: $5,000 cash
    InfernalBlaze: $5,000 cash
    CuriousHeartless: $3,000 electric tricycle + $2,000 cash
    Drinkwaterlaura: Consolation prizes
    Last edited by Twentington; 27th September 2012 at 1:34 AM.
    3DS FC: 0302-0291-6804

Move along, nothing to see here.

I'll play!!!
    [IMG]http://i43.*******.com/6p2jyb.jpg[/IMG]

I'd like to play.

And don't worry about the confusing part. I've found the OP of some of your other games to be more confusing.

Can't forget me! I gotta be in all of the gameshows.

Credit to Rayquaza The First

I can't seem to stay here, can I?

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkwaterlaura View Post
    Can't forget me! I gotta be in all of the gameshows.
    ^Same. Count me in.

Well I didn't read the whole thing, but I'll play.

Spite, CuriousHeartless, I'm afraid the spots for the first episode are filled, but I can get you both in for episode 2 if you like.

Players for show 1, stand by...

Sure, thanks. I guess if I actually read the rules I would've known that. Now to go do that.

This programme is proudly sponsored by Virgin Australia. Now you're flying.

*MAIN THEME (should play on your browser)*

Pete Smith: Tonight, one of our contestants could win a power nap capsule...

...A diamond ring...

...or a luxurious trip to London!

And continue a journey towards a fortune in cash and prizes, including this 2012 Hyundai Equus...

...and a cash jackpot of $200,000! All on the world's richest quiz...

(echo)

And now, the master of the Great Temptation, Glenn Ridge!

(cheers and applause as he walks through the set doors to his podium)

Good evening, Australia! This is the Sale, the same show you knew and loved for years. We're back, and we have a few changes we hope you'll enjoy. But there are a few things that haven't changed, like my cohost, please welcome Karina Browne!

(Karina walks out from behind the Fame Game board)

Karina: Hello, Glenn. It feels great to be back.

Glenn: It certainly does. But I think we should get on with what we all came here for, the game! Why don't you introduce our three new players?

Karina: I'd be glad to. Tonight's players are Jordie, InfernalBlaze, and Drinkwaterlaura.

Glenn: Welcome to the three of you. We'll start with Jordie. Hiya, Jordie. Would you please tell us about yourself?

(umm, yeah, sorry about the large images; we'll just have to make do for now.)

I'm a Pokemon Trainer from the Hoenn Region and I can't wait to win!

Hoenn? Where's that?

Karina: I think that's a country in the Pokemon world.

Glenn: Really? I didn't know that was possible now. Nonetheless, all the best of luck to you today, Jordie.

InfernalBlaze, welcome to the programme. What do you want the world to know about you?

I'm just a guy who wanted to play a game. What else is there to know?
    Wait, don't answer that. We'd have to little time for the show.

You're right, actually. Commercials are to blame. Good luck to you today.

Our last contestant tonight is Drinkwaterlaura. What do you want us to know about you?

I love gameshows, and i take place in a lot of them. However, Pokemon is my specialty. ^_^

Credit to Rayquaza The First

I can't seem to stay here, can I?

Well, best of luck to you, and to all three of you.

Karina: And $20 to each of you.

Jordie: $20
    Blaze: $20
    Drink: $20

And I'll be waiting in the Gift Shop.

Duly noted. Let's find our first new champ!

1. AS REFERENCED IN THE THEME SONG TO FRIENDS, WHAT DOES THE ACRONYM "DOA" STAND FOR?

2. WHO WROTE, IN 1920: "THE ITALIAN PROLETARIAT NEEDS A BLOOD BATH FOR ITS FORCE TO BE RENEWED"?

3. WHAT WAS SIR THOMAS SOPWITH'S COMPANY FAMED FOR MAKING DURING WORLD WAR I?

4. WHAT CARTOON NETWORK SHOW FEATURES A BLUEJAY AND A RACCOON AS GROUNDSKEEPERS IN A PARK?

5. WHERE WILL THE NEXT WINTER OLYMPICS BE HELD?

(the three of you have 48 hours; answers and buzzcodes in a PM, please)

Alright, here we go.

1. AS REFERENCED IN THE THEME SONG TO FRIENDS, WHAT DOES THE ACRONYM "DOA" STAND FOR?
    (buzzcode: 60)
    *Drink buzzes in (76)*
    Drink: Doom of All?
    *buzz*
    Glenn: Dead on arrival.

Blaze: $20
    Drink: $15

2. WHO WROTE, IN 1920: "THE ITALIAN PROLETARIAT NEEDS A BLOOD BATH FOR ITS FORCE TO BE RENEWED"?
    (buzzcode: 1)
    *Blaze buzzes in (32)*
    Blaze: Benito Mussolini
    *ding*

Blaze: $25

3. WHAT WAS SIR THOMAS SOPWITH'S COMPANY FAMED FOR MAKING DURING WORLD WAR I?
    (buzzcode: 13)
    *Jordie buzzes in (77)*
    Jordie: Airplanes.
    *ding*

Jordie: $25

4. WHAT CARTOON NETWORK SHOW FEATURES A BLUEJAY AND A RACCOON AS GROUNDSKEEPERS IN A PARK?
    (buzzcode: 24)
    *Drink buzzes in (42)*
    Drink: Hey, something I know! Regular Show.
    *ding*

5. WHERE WILL THE NEXT WINTER OLYMPICS BE HELD?
    (buzzcode: 69)
    *Jordie buzzes in (77)*
    Jordie: Russia
    *ding*

Jordie: $30

Glenn: And Jordie takes an early lead.

*GIFT SHOP BELL*

Perhaps Karina can tempt you with this...

Karina: Now Jordie, there's nothing like the excitement of a live concert. TicketMaster wants you to see as many as possible with this gift certificate. Buying tickets is easier than ever with their new interactive seating map, fan guarantee, and 3-day return policy. From TicketMaster.

It's normally priced at...

$4,199

But tonight it can be yours for just...

$8

From TicketMaster and Sale of the Century.

(applause)

Jordie. You have a $5 lead. I'll bring down the price of that to $5, the cost of a question. What do you have to say to that?

I'll take it, Glenn.
    Last edited by Jordie; 14th July 2012 at 4:34 PM.

Then buzz in.

*he does*

(applause)

All right! We'll just deduct the value of a question, $5...

You're now tied for the lead, but the game's still young. On with the next set of questions...

1. WHICH OF THE TRAINERS ON "THE BIGGEST LOSER USA" HAS STAYED ON THE LONGEST?

2. WHAT SEAFARING ITALIAN CITY-STATE TOOK OVER CYPRUS IN 1473?

3. WHAT COMIC-BOOK SCIENTIST IS "THE VICTIM OF GAMMA-RADIATION GONE WILD"?

4. WHAT ASIAN CITY WAS THE FIRST TO BOAST MORE THAN 10 MILLION INHABITANTS?

5. HOW MANY TEASPOONS ARE IN A TABLESPOON?

(48 hours, you know what to do)

(as a reminder, no looking any of this up)
    Last edited by Twentington; 14th July 2012 at 6:22 PM.

1. WHICH OF THE TRAINERS ON "THE BIGGEST LOSER USA" HAS STAYED ON THE LONGEST?
    (buzzcode: 20)
    *Jordie buzzes in (22)*
    Jordie: Bob
    *ding*
    And you just paid for that gift certificate.

2. WHAT SEAFARING ITALIAN CITY-STATE TOOK OVER CYPRUS IN 1473?
    (buzzcode: 55)
    *Drink buzzes in (50)*
    Drink: Venice?
    *ding*

Drink: $25

3. WHAT COMIC-BOOK SCIENTIST IS "THE VICTIM OF GAMMA-RADIATION GONE WILD"?
    (buzzcode: 22)
    *Jordie's podium lights up in a special way (22)*
    (cheers and applause) Hold it! Jordie, that's worth a Sale Chip right there. (Glenn walks over to Jordie's spot and gives him a Sale Chip) This will allow you to buy anything or enter CashCard or the Vault without paying. If you take your Sale Chip to the Winner's Board, I'll give you a choice. If you don't have enough for the car, you can pick any other prize you like, with the notable exceptions of the car and cash jackpot. If you have enough for the car, then you can elect to automatically reveal the "WIN" space for one shot at the car. Now, should you lose, I'd give you $1,000 extra for each chip you had. (Glenn walks back to his lecturn) Now, what's your answer?
    Jordie: Rome
    *buzz*
    Glenn: Venice, actually.

Jordie: $25 (SALE CHIP)

4. WHAT ASIAN CITY WAS THE FIRST TO BOAST MORE THAN 10 MILLION INHABITANTS?
    (buzzcode: 17)
    *Jordie buzzes in (22)*
    Jordie: Hong Kong
    *buzz*
    Glenn: Tokyo.

Jordie: $20 (SALE CHIP)

5. HOW MANY TEASPOONS ARE IN A TABLESPOON?
    (buzzcode: 22)
    *Jordie's podium lights up in a special way (22)*
    Again?!? Already? OK then. (Glenn goes to Jordie's podium and hands him another Sale Chip; he then walks back) What's your answer?
    Jordie: 4
    *buzz*
    Glenn: 3.

Jordie: $15 (2 SALE CHIPS)

And Jordie has 2 Sale Chips, at the cost of the lead. Don't lose hope, you can get back into this with the first Fame Game of the night. Buzz in when you know it. $10 Money Card on the board - what is my name?

I am an American television show that first aired on September 27, 1954, and still airs today. Throughout my 58 years on TV, I have gone through 5 different main hosts, and a brief change in format at one point. Despite this and a change in location to Burbank, California in May 1972, I have always aired on the same network. My original host was Steve Allen, followed by the brief change in format. My most famous host was Johnny Carson.

(Remember, post your answer, don't PM me, first to post the correct answer will get a pick of the board.)

The Tonight Show (I only know that because you said Johnny Carson hosted XD)

And you are right.

Who do we have on the board tonight, Karina?

Conan O'Brien.
    Host of Conan on GEM, or TBS for those watching us in the states.

Ray Romano.
    Voice of Manny in the new Ice Age movie.

Dick Clark.
    Rest in peace.

Fozzie Bear.
    From the movie The Muppets, currently on DVD.

Charlie Brown.
    Famous comic character.

Eddie McGuire.
    Millionaire: Hot Seat.

Maroon 5.
    New album Overexposed out now.

Tony Barber.
    Former host of the Sale.

And Reg Grundy.
    Creator of Sale as we know it today.

Code:
    [CONAN O'BRIEN][RAY ROMANO][DICK CLARK]
    [FOZZIE BEAR][CHARLIE BROWN][EDDIE MCGUIRE]
    [MAROON 5][TONY BARBER][REG GRUNDY]
    There's a $10 card up there; who'd you like?

I'll have to go with... Dick Clark

Let's see what he has, good luck...

Code:
    [CONAN O'BRIEN][RAY ROMANO][LOCKOUT]
    [FOZZIE BEAR][CHARLIE BROWN][EDDIE MCGUIRE]
    [MAROON 5][TONY BARBER][REG GRUNDY]

LOCKOUT

The Lockout. Who'd you like to lock out for the next set of 5 questions?

I'm so sorry InfernalBlaze, but you'll have to sit out for 5 questions. Nothing personal.

Alright, we place the lock on Blaze...

Jordie: $15 (2 SALE CHIPS)
    Blaze: $25 [LOCKOUT]

Jordie is $10 behind the lead, but the game's still young. Vault round coming up after this, stay with us, find out who the first champ will be!

(commercial cue, applause. As the camera zooms in on the contestants, fade to black)

(Game will resume tomorrow, the 15th)

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast