Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Pokemon Getting Weird?

Default Is Pokemon Getting Weird?

My cousin got me into Pokemon a year ago and he has been playing since he was 5 years old. Now he's 16 and I'm 13 and he doesn't want to play it anymore because he says it'd ruining his childhood memories since they're "fusing" Pokemon together or whatever is going on with Black Kyurem and White Kyurem. He says he wishes they would just cancel Pokemon so they don't ruin the legacy or whatever. I disagreed but he said that any veteran player like him would agree that they should, so i want to know if what he says is true...anybody?
    I have calmed down my addiction for Ugly Betty. Yay-ish. I had to get addicted to another show....

I AM NOW ADDICTED TO DEGRASSI!

WHATEVER IT TAKES!!!! =P

THAT IS ALL FOR NOW

*evil laugh*

Quote Originally Posted by Snivy Link View Post
    My cousin got me into Pokemon a year ago and he has been playing since he was 5 years old. Now he's 16 and I'm 13 and he doesn't want to play it anymore because he says it'd ruining his childhood memories since they're "fusing" Pokemon together or whatever is going on with Black Kyurem and White Kyurem. He says he wishes they would just cancel Pokemon so they don't ruin the legacy or whatever. I disagreed but he said that any veteran player like him would agree that they should, so i want to know if what he says is true...anybody?
    Been playing since day one in 1998. Tell him "veteran" players don't care.

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 17: The Bard and the Diva
    Next: Winter of Discontent

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

^ I agree
    Sounds like he's living in the past.
    Last edited by Seles; 14th October 2012 at 1:12 AM.

a very important video - tumblr
    - i've claimed zelos wilder and tales of the abyss

I've been playing since I was 4 or 5 and I'm cool with it. They're not 'ruining' my memories of pokemon. Infact sometimes it blows my mind with what they think of next XD lol
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Credit goes to FairyWitch at Flower Paradise Graphics

Fanfic Status: Currently postponed-- Kingdom Hearts: Memories' Reflection. Last updated 8/17/13

Generation 1 Enthusists would say that. In my honest opinion, I think the designs are getting better, but the Pokemon are lagging a bit. Many Gen V pokemon are pretty bad in my opinion, but have cool desings (i.e. Liepard, Klinklang, Zebstrika, Heatmor, ect.)

It's been weird since GSC when Pokemon could ****.
    But you have to admit, for a part-time Nazi

He's freaking hot.

IMO, not really, nothing wrong seeing a violent ice cream sundae attack XD

I've been playing since I was young and I still love the series, it definately hasn't "ruined" any of my memories of it.

now i think they are just doing the banjo kazooie thing putting eyes on everything to make it a character or creature. i have heard some people say that the reason some pokemon look alike to older pokemon is that the new regions have thier own verison of pokemon like there are of animals in the real world.

i go to many conventions and i see characters i don't reconize at photoshoots, if anime cons where like comic cons i think there would be more cosplayers from the first series or the next ones after. its sad that kids today will not know of the red and blue versions and the other things that made pokemon great in its golden age.

Pokemon isn't dead, been playing since I was 3, still playing now at 16.
    [IMG]http://i40.*******.com/2pouxxy.jpg[/IMG]

Pkm games I own:
    B/Y/R G/S/C R/E D/P Hg/Ss B/W

Soon to be B2/W2

Oh look.One of "those" threads again.

That's actually an interesting question. The way I see it, Pokemon started out as weird, remained weird through generation 5, and when they finally decide to close up shop, it will end weird. It's a game about funny-looking animals with superpowers that live inside balls that are bigger than they really are and are controlled by 10 year olds to fight each other for money, which is somehow not frowned upon, and these 10 year olds end up beating crime bosses and world class champions.

As far as the fusion stuff, fusion-ish phenomenon have existed in Pokemon ever since generation one. Dugtrio are a band of Diglett, Magneton are three fused Magnemite, and there's apparently even a fusion sort of thing going on with Slowpoke and Shellder to make Slowbro. You also have things like Slowking, the Metagross line, and Mantine in later generations, each of which are fusion related in some form or fashion. The only real difference here with Kyurem is that you can actually fuse and diffuse the Pokemon in question.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    Been playing since day one in 1998. Tell him "veteran" players don't care.
    My thoughts exactly.

Name: Scorch
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
    If you've played the the metal gear solid series you should get this.

no, I have been playing since yellow :| back in 99.

The series has been dead since gen 1 (for me anyway) ..Games are still great though

Team

Is Pokemon GETTING weird? I'm sorry, but that bus left the depot on day 1 when we were trying to soothe the ghost of a skull-wearing bone-wielding mama lizard caveman thing to reach the top of a tower, catching useless fish that evolved into flying serpentine dragon critters, and saving Lostelle from a Hypno that "wouldn't stop scaring!!!"

I'm terribly sorry, but I don't see how all that ISN'T weird compared to fusing two Pokemon together.

It sounds like your friend outgrew/is outgrowing the franchise, plain and simple. It happens to lots of people, but not to everyone. And many of the people who do outgrow the game state similar garbage rationalizations, without really giving the games a fair chance. They're just not into it anymore and they blame the games rather than their own growth for that.

But no, as you can see, not all loyal fans are the same and not all outgrow the game, and thus, I totally disagree with your friend. I've been in on the franchise for... 7 years I guess. Not as long as many other people I know, but I got started much later. Only in Gen III. And I'm not about to quit anytime soon. Too many fun things, too many fun designs, too many new strategies to try, and too many variations I can make on both old and new games for me to be ready to quit, or to have the series end on me! n_n
    Last edited by zozo; 15th July 2012 at 4:07 AM.

My Youtube battle videos
    My 3DS FC: 3609-1041-6416.

I have claimed Goodra. Happy slime dragons ftw!

My cousin got me into Pokemon a year ago and he has been playing since he was 5 years old. Now he's 16 and I'm 13 and he doesn't want to play it anymore because he says it'd ruining his childhood memories since they're "fusing" Pokemon together or whatever is going on with Black Kyurem and White Kyurem.
    First, I would explain to him that Kyurem is not "fusing" with the other Pokemon, more like absorbing them. It might be similar and yes 2 Pokemon do become one, but there is a difference. Plus, you catch these Pokemon in their separate forms and do not have to fuse them if you wish, and you can undone the fusion if you don't like it. But it is not true fusion.

He says he wishes they would just cancel Pokemon so they don't ruin the legacy or whatever. I disagreed but he said that any veteran player like him would agree that they should, so i want to know if what he says is true...anybody?
    What would ruin the legacy would be canceling it because it is one of the most popular video game franchises in the world right now, so there is no real reason for it to end unless Game Freak just decides they are done...which I HIGHLY doubt.

And the part about veteran players, well my first game was Yellow and I'm still in, so I've been playing for a good while. I'm also planning to buy White 2 the day it hits the US, so you should tell your cousin he is wrong.
    Last edited by voicerocker; 15th July 2012 at 4:09 AM.
    "Believe in yourself and create your own destiny. Don't fear failure." - Only Toonami
    -----
    My Pokemon Teams
    -----
    White 2 Team:
    Black Team:
    SoulSilver Team:
    Platinum Team:
    Diamond Team:
    FireRed Team:
    Ruby Team:

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post

As far as the fusion stuff, fusion-ish phenomenon have existed in Pokemon ever since generation one. Dugtrio are a band of Diglett, Magneton are three fused Magnemite, and there's apparently even a fusion sort of thing going on with Slowpoke and Shellder to make Slowbro. You also have things like Slowking, the Metagross line, and Mantine in later generations, each of which are fusion related in some form or fashion. The only real difference here with Kyurem is that you can actually fuse and diffuse the Pokemon in question.
    see, thats exactly what i said, exactly, but "no" he said "its not the same"
    nice signature by the way
    I have calmed down my addiction for Ugly Betty. Yay-ish. I had to get addicted to another show....

WHATEVER IT TAKES!!!! =P

THAT IS ALL FOR NOW

*evil laugh*

Quote Originally Posted by zozo View Post
    Is Pokemon GETTING weird? I'm sorry, but that bus left the depot on day 1 when we were trying to soothe the ghost of a skull-wearing bone-wielding mama lizard caveman thing to reach the top of a tower, catching useless fish that evolved into flying serpentine dragon critters, and saving Lostelle from a Hypno that "wouldn't stop scaring!!!"

I'm terribly sorry, but I don't see how all that ISN'T weird compared to fusing two Pokemon together.

It sounds like your friend outgrew/is outgrowing the franchise, plain and simple. It happens to lots of people, but not to everyone. And many of the people who do outgrow the game state similar garbage rationalizations, without really giving the games a fair chance. They're just not into it anymore and they blame the games rather than their own growth for that.

But no, as you can see, not all loyal fans are the same and not all outgrow the game, and thus, I totally disagree with your friend. I've been in on the franchise for... 7 years I guess. Not as long as many other people I know, but I got started much later. Only in Gen III. And I'm not about to quit anytime soon. Too many fun things, too many fun designs, too many new strategies to try, and too many variations I can make on both old and new games for me to be ready to quit, or to have the series end on me! n_n
    he is now into yu-gi-oh and bakugan, just saying

WHATEVER IT TAKES!!!! =P

THAT IS ALL FOR NOW

*evil laugh*

looks at other Japanese franchises

No but some parts of the community are.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

yeah...that's the problem. And he thinks that stuff isn't wierd? smh
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Credit goes to FairyWitch at Flower Paradise Graphics

Fanfic Status: Currently postponed-- Kingdom Hearts: Memories' Reflection. Last updated 8/17/13

Well, i haven't the faintest notion of what either of those are like, so I'm not really sure what to make of that. n_n

However, this was a bit more illuminating:

see, thats exactly what i said, exactly, but "no" he said "its not the same"
    He just sounds like he's done with the game and ready to move on to something else. But instead of recognizing that, he's blaming his doneness on the game, even though there's really no rational reason for him to do so. (emphasis on rational.)

Ironically though, Pokemon is pretty much the best series ever for allowing players to keep their favourite old Pokemon relevant in the newest instalments. In that sense, it's amazingly good at preserving the good old times through the new games. But what are you going to do? If he wants to move on, let him. No point in trying to urge him back. If he ever wants to, the games are there for him to play, and if not then hope he enjoys whatever he does with his game time now!

My Youtube battle videos

Quote Originally Posted by zozo View Post
    Ironically though, Pokemon is pretty much the best series ever for allowing players to keep their favourite old Pokemon relevant in the newest instalments. In that sense, it's amazingly good at preserving the good old times through the new games. But what are you going to do? If he wants to move on, let him. No point in trying to urge him back. If he ever wants to, the games are there for him to play, and if not then hope he enjoys whatever he does with his game time now!
    Sadly, not so much with the competitive ones...
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    Sadly, not so much with the competitive ones...
    You really don't think so? I think the DW alone has been very kind thus far with tons of the older pokes in terms of competitive use! And that's not taking into account stuff like Eviolite, expanded auto-weather, and at least two or three other things I could probably think of better if I was less tired. XD

But really, competitive use was a big part of what I was thinking when I mentioned that. n_n Maybe I just see things differently though.

My Youtube battle videos

Getting weird?

Made by Sworn Metalhead at Dćdric Design

Quote Originally Posted by Volcanic Typhlosion View Post

Getting weird?
    lol yeah pokemons been weird from the start.
    3DS FC: 2036-7351-7190.
    NNID: FusionKT

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast