Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Pokemon Getting Weird?

Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    It gets even weirder considering that Jynx use to be black.
    Wow I never knew that. Some people are so stupid, don't they realize that this is a cartoon? This kinda reminds me of all the fuss about the golliwoggs in the Enid Blighton books:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golliwogg

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Michael View Post
    I didn't say remakes were crazy, I said "with the exception of the remakes." The remakes were excellent! The other games (RSE, DPP) is where I thought they went crazy.
    And how are those games more crazy than the rest of the games? FYI I've come to really like the Hoenn games -I've been doing a RSE marathon. Out of all the gens this one was the most original. It had a cool landscape (volcanoes ftw) and introduced many of the core concepts that we still have today. The gameplay has basically stayed the same since then so I don't get your point at all.

The Pokemon designs in Gens III and IV weren't creative at all. It seemed like Game Freak was just trying to churn out as many new Pokemon as they could. Those Gen I and II designs were so classic.

Yes, the outfits got really ridiculous, in particular the outfits for Emerald, Diamond & Pearl, and Platinum. Brendan's outfit was just.....strange. Who wears shorts over pants? Lucas' outfit in DP was pretty lame too, but at least in Platinum, it looked better (although the scarf did look kinda weird). Luckily, BW brought back more traditional outfits more reminiscent of Gens I and II. Baseball caps, jackets, etc.

Gens I and II both had excellent stories to them. Gen III and IV started to go a bit overboard with things. But Gen V is really bringing the storyline based Pokemon game back.

You have a point about that, but the contests were completely unnecessary, and really changed the vibe of the games (in a bad way).
    Actually I think that gen 1 had the least creative designs. Rattata, Pidgey, Geodude how exactly are these pokemon creative?

I think that gen 5 had some really stupid character designs, Elesa anyone? Without new pokemon there would be no new games. So this seems like a silly complaint to me.

True gen 1 & 2 had good storylines, whilst the storylines for the later gens weren't as good but they certainly weren't overboard.

I actually wish that they brought the contests back from gen 3 & 4. In my opinion they provided a nice extra thing to do after you had beaten the game. What we have now is lame.

Quote Originally Posted by HatenaCAMERON View Post
    Isn't ALL anime weird? :P
    True lol.

Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    To be honest the only argument that one could say about the gen 1 Pokémon pokémon is that they look realistic until Yellow began gave them their animé look and then from Gold and Sliver onwards the pokémon always had a cartoon looks, which really allowed Game Freak to show their creativity and imagination.
    You can argue that to a point (as long as you don't count the flames on ponyta etc lol) but only because gen 1 focussed on everyday animals found right across the globe, like goldeen a gold fish pokemon. Whilst the following gens forced game freak to look outside the box or otherwise people would have critizied them for being uncreative. Now we have pokemon that are based on animals found in remote areas which has really added realism to the game by making pokemon look more diverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Fading Echoes View Post
    I actually do think that is a little odd. They completely ruined Reshiram for me by it's fusing with kyurem. Granted Reshiram's design was a bit strange from the start, but my opinion is not changing. I think Game Freak is running out of ideas and are grasping rediculous rocks in hope that one of them is a golden nugget, but where they are digging is gold-free. Yellow is far better then B/W even though it is old and the graphics aren't as good. Game Freak are running out of ideas, Pokemon might as well be cancelled.
    Well no-one's forcing you to buy B2W2. I like the classic games as well, but for the most part their designs are seriously lacking compared to the later gens. In my opinion GF is actually improving right across the board when it comes to pokemon and with so many interesting pokemon introduced in Unova I don't think that they're running out of ideas at all. Besides a franchise, like pokemon which brings in millions of dollars, is never gonna be cancelled. Pokemon might mot be as popular as it was in the beginning, but it still has a larger enough fan base to keep it going for at least another decade.

Quote Originally Posted by xanthis View Post
    i kind of agree......i mean the old ones are what started pokemon and they are making the new ones sucky and its pretty much an insult to pokemon...................although im just glad that pokemon is stilla live.
    This is a very contradictory statement, don't you think? If that's how you feel then you should just stick to the classics. Of course if you were a real pokemon fan you would be a bit more open-minded instead of just being critical.
    Last edited by Ausgirl; 16th July 2012 at 7:05 AM.

Ok... from someone who has played all the main series Pokeom games, and loved pokemon since I was like 6 or 7 I am going to tell you Pokemon hasn't gotten any more weird then it wa when Red and blue first came out. I don't think they are running out of ideas, if anything they are coming up with more CREATIVE ideas. I mean really take a look at the first 151.. in general they aren't all that creative, a fire breathing Dragon? *Yawn* A Seal named Seal, I mean really? None of my personal favorite Pokemon are in the first generation. None. I'm not saying it's worse then the others though, just not my favorite. Honesty RSE is my favorite I don't remember what it was called but that house by the cycling road where you had to go through the mazes that was awesome. It was the only Gen that had that. Each gen has it's own unigue and good things. I can find things to appreciate in all of the Pokemon games, and allthough there are always going to be certain aspects or Pokemon I may not like, overall I think the games are just as good, if not better than Gen 1. Sorry for the rant, I just hate it when people only like the first gen. :/

I dislike some of the new pokemon but I have come to the realization I can use the ones I do like.

I got to play pokemon 2 years ago and the first time I saw the 5th gen they looked werid. Then I bought a pokemon world magazine withthe starter shadows and they did look like other pokemon parts. But I don't really care.
    3ds FC 2492-4223-4524
    Black FC:0432-9941-9309
    Black 2 FC: 3397-2999-9109
    AC:NL Dream Address: 6900-2317-3049

Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    The only thing that's gotten weird about it are the atrocious dub voices since Season 9.

4Kids >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>> TPCi
    seriously..it;s been 6 years.. noone cares anymore.. time for you to as well. and it's pointless to complain anyways since Maddie has passed on

Take a step and I'm on my way, gonna start all over again,.......again.

Seriously, people are still complaining about the new voices. Guys, more on they are not coming back. You will be forever stuck with these new actors get over it like halloweenghost has stated.

3DS XL Friend Code: 2036-7872-1965
    .:: deviantART | Tumblr | Hummingbird | YouTube ::.

The new pokemon episode titles, "Ash and Trips Third Battle"? I know TPCi can do better.

I think the only weird thing about Pokemon in general is the mysterious pokedex entries. Take Garbadors, for example, or Drifloon's, or perhaps Duskull's...

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    The new pokemon episode titles, "Ash and Trips Third Battle"? I know TPCi can do better.
    They're just staying more closely to the Japanese titles. Hey, it could be a lot worse, at least they make some changes and some of the old, horrible puns like they used to.
    Dimensions of Darkness - on hiatus l Sgt. Froakie - ongoing l Envoy - upcoming

harmoNy - one-shot l The Piplup and Chimchar Variety Hour - on hiatus
    Author's Profile

Latest Chapter (Sgt. Froakie): Chapter 2 - Beware the Cute Ones
    Credit to Astral Shadow for the awesome sig!

Pokemon isn't getting weird. You're getting weird for Pokemon

But seriously, I love every Pokemon. It's not getting weird at all. If I don't like something in the games, I just have to embrace it. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't exist! In fact, I think the stories are becoming phenomenal and the legends are amazing!!
    - National Pokedex Completion Date- 3/12/13 (Thanks EpiK SauCe!)

FC: 5129-0492-5213

The Pokemon didn't look well-thought out. Some of them looked downright ridiculous, while others looked like something a preschooler could come up with. No creativity.

Every generation had good and bad designs. Voltorb is a ball. Ditto is a blob. Muk is well... muck.

Still didn't like the character designs.
    Moot point. Small sprite from a top down view. Moving on.

Gen II had an excellent storyline. Your rival was a troubled child (the son of Giovanni) who felt like he needed to prove something, and stole a Pokemon from Elm's lab. Throughout the storyline, he sees the bond between you and your Pokemon, and he begins to understand the importance of treating Pokemon with kindness and respect. This game has great moral lessons throughout it, and is a plot-driven storyline (including the whole Team Rocket/Radio Tower dynamic).
    Look, Gen II was my favorite to play and I had the most fun with it, but Gens I and II didn't really have much in the way of storyline. Storyline in IV and V were truly the best.
    Replies in bold.

The only thing that's gotten weird about it are the atrocious dub voices since Season 9.

Time to move on dot org. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    Better than the crap 4kids would pull. Maybe something like "TRIPPING INTO THIRD!"...cuz get it? Because his name is Trip and...ugh, I hate puns.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

You do realize that voice actors like Chris Sabat and Vic Mignogna are in Black and White, right?

Not to mention that most of the characters that were recast aren't in the series anymore. I think only Ash, Jessie, James and Meowth are the only ones left. Ash sounds different, but he doesn't sound bad. James and Meowth are pretty good, but honestly, Jessie sounds almost exactly the same.
    "Believe in yourself and create your own destiny. Don't fear failure." - Only Toonami
    -----
    My Pokemon Teams
    -----
    White 2 Team:
    Black Team:
    SoulSilver Team:
    Platinum Team:
    Diamond Team:
    FireRed Team:
    Ruby Team:

I love how there has been a talking cat since the beginning of Pokemon basically, and until now people are starting to wonder if it is weird.
    Grammar is important. Good grammar is the difference between, "I'm helping my Uncle Jack off a horse." and "I'm helping my Uncle jack off a horse."
    So please, learn how to use it correctly.

Sincerely,
    Everyone

Quote Originally Posted by A Genius View Post
    Why Combsuken looks like a penis. It doesn't help that he is a chicken and male chickens are called....well you know lol

I don't really think "weird" is the right word.

It would be weird if when you got to put pokemon in day care you get an option to watch them mate.
    You'll never look at your Garchomp again when you realise it has a leather fetish.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricbluewolf View Post

It would be weird if when you got to put pokemon in day care you get an option to watch them mate.
    You'll never look at your Garchomp again when you realise it has a leather fetish.
    Thank's for putting that image in my head. -_-

"i know how to use a sword!" - tumblr
    - i've claimed zelos wilder and tales of the abyss

some of u might bash on me 4 this but as i said in the description i just started liking Pokemon games since last year, yes that means i'm a fifth generation trainer, but that doesn't mean i hate the past generations, ive been watching the show since i was born but then i let it go when i was like nine, mostly because my cable got cut off. just putting that out there
    I have calmed down my addiction for Ugly Betty. Yay-ish. I had to get addicted to another show....

I AM NOW ADDICTED TO DEGRASSI!

WHATEVER IT TAKES!!!! =P

THAT IS ALL FOR NOW

*evil laugh*

Time to have nightmares!
    Dimensions of Darkness - on hiatus l Sgt. Froakie - ongoing l Envoy - upcoming

harmoNy - one-shot l The Piplup and Chimchar Variety Hour - on hiatus
    Author's Profile

Latest Chapter (Sgt. Froakie): Chapter 2 - Beware the Cute Ones
    Credit to Astral Shadow for the awesome sig!

Pokemon being weird is nothing compared to the other Japanese animes similar to this. If anything, Pokemon makes sense.

What has been seen....
    [IMG]http://i54.*******.com/214a1yb.gif[/IMG]
    Pokemon X and Y
    ]

Would sig this but have no room.

Pokemon's always been weird. It also happens to be changing, as things tend to. No surprise there.

The future surrounds us.

Let us begin.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    That's actually an interesting question. The way I see it, Pokemon started out as weird, remained weird through generation 5, and when they finally decide to close up shop, it will end weird. It's a game about funny-looking animals with superpowers that live inside balls that are bigger than they really are and are controlled by 10 year olds to fight each other for money, which is somehow not frowned upon, and these 10 year olds end up beating crime bosses and world class champions.

As far as the fusion stuff, fusion-ish phenomenon have existed in Pokemon ever since generation one. Dugtrio are a band of Diglett, Magneton are three fused Magnemite, and there's apparently even a fusion sort of thing going on with Slowpoke and Shellder to make Slowbro. You also have things like Slowking, the Metagross line, and Mantine in later generations, each of which are fusion related in some form or fashion. The only real difference here with Kyurem is that you can actually fuse and diffuse the Pokemon in question.
    This exactly. I've played since Red/Blue on my brothers cartridge then I got my own (Yellow was my first game). I was 4 at the time . It's a weird franchise which makes it different to bland shooters and racing games out there. I'd say its appeal makes it weird.

Maybe 'weird' isn't the right word. Well I dunno any better words.
    I'm not keen on the legendary fusion too, or forms.
    Some legendary like the tornado gods looks queer to me in their new forms.
    But maybe that's the way to make them stronger. In a new style.
    Fusion legendary sounds new.
    Still it's just a matter of time to get used to it.
    If you don't, GF still try to bring some nostalgic elements from the old games, though. If they count.
    X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037
    The Trinity League Poison Apprentice Master League Shadow Stars League Poison Leader
    PokeGyms Fairy Leader

Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by thetifftiff
    Amount of real life time doesn't mean much when it comes to shiny hunting though.

Yes, I believe it is. I loved Generations 1, 2, and 3.

The Legendaries were all perfectly crafted and had special meaning (Mew, Mewtwo, Entei, Raikou, Suicune, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Latios, Latias, Celebi, Jirachi, Rayquaza, Groudon, Kyogre, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Regigigas, Manaphy, Deoxys)

The Legendaries from Generations 4 and 5 are terrible, as well as most of the Pokemon. The art direction has become sour, as well as the story. The Weather Trio was a good plot, no doubt. But the Creation Trio went too far out there. I watched Arceus and the Jewel of Life and couldn't help but think, this doesn't even seem like Pokemon. It's turned into gigantic monsters battling for the fate of the world. It's like some Godzilla-King Kong-Mothra stuff. I hate it. But I love Pokemon. I will be interesed to see where they go after Black and White 2, because this generation has been a waste.
    "Life is wonderful....but why?"

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast