Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Pokemon Getting Weird?

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    And if you feel that way personally, that's fine, but that does not constitute an objective assessment of the reality of the matter.
    I can't believe you found the ultra hidden part in that post that said 'and you must all follow my opinion because I am superior'!

[/sarcasm]

Of course it's an objective assessment... I'm not remotely biased, I call it as I see it, it's my opinion. At no point was I imposing my feelings on the rest of the posters, I was contributing a point and my opinion, that'd what a FORUM is for.

Quote Originally Posted by OJG View Post
    This one brings nothing to the table.
    Two mono-Dragon type lines
    A mono-Steel type line
    A Dark/Dragon type line
    A Water/Ghost line
    A Dark/Fighting line
    A Ground/Ghost line
    A Ghost/Fire line with insane Sp. Attack
    A Dragon/Fire Legendary
    A Dragon/Electric Legendary
    A Dragon/Ice Legendary with two Formes
    A Fire/Psychic Legendary
    Excadrill
    Lilligant, with access to Quiver Dance, Petal Dance and Own Tempo
    Eelektross, with no practical weaknesses
    Compoundeyes Galvantula

I'm probably forgetting a lot more too
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

I've been playing since the original Red/Blue. I was always a very loyal addict to the series, but it hit the peak at the 3rd Generation. I played Diamond and I thought "Uh...no." I got mixed emotions about the 5th Gen. I was either "This is the coolest thing I've ever seen!(Escavalier)" or "The is the dumbest thing I've ever seen!(Chandelure)". They might make it another generation before it gets out of whack.

Do not doubt the Cloyster Clan.

I can't believe you found the ultra hidden part in that post that said 'and you must all follow my opinion because I am superior'!

[/sarcasm]

Of course it's an objective assessment... I'm not remotely biased, I call it as I see it, it's my opinion. At no point was I imposing my feelings on the rest of the posters, I was contributing a point and my opinion, that'd what a FORUM is for.
    I'm glad you were able to pass judgement on an entire generation of Pokemon without even bothering to play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by craigprime View Post
    I've been playing since the original Red/Blue. I was always a very loyal addict to the series, but it hit the peak at the 3rd Generation. I played Diamond and I thought "Uh...no." I got mixed emotions about the 5th Gen. I was either "This is the coolest thing I've ever seen!(Escavalier)" or "The is the dumbest thing I've ever seen!(Chandelure)". They might make it another generation before it gets out of whack.
    Case example #4858583833849495 on "Guy who has outgrown Pokemon but refuses to admit it"
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Come on, this is a game where we throw our capsule balls at little creatures that somehow acquire a lot of mass when they change form in seconds. Don't you think it was weird to begin with?

@randomspot555: Don't you think the real issue is that people are beating the same dead horse way pass the point of any noticeable equestrian characteristics? "Group dynamics" as the term is referred to, is when people act in a group. The people in the group tend to act less intelligent. In this case, it is a bandwagon group. Hell, I doubt even half of the people that do this are my age group or older.

Hoenn has disappointed.

P.S. I get tired of complaints from great games.
    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic Politoed View Post
    Come on, this is a game where we throw our capsule balls at little creatures that somehow acquire a lot of mass when they change form in seconds. Don't you think it was weird to begin with?
    I just watched some anime and compared to what I saw (which makes me want to gouge my eyes out), no.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Quote Originally Posted by salaswampert View Post
    I am not speaking for anyone other than myself, but it is getting pretty weird. Some of the new pokemon are just ridiculous.
    I don't see how Gen 5's Pokemon are so different from other Gens that people think they don't look like Pokemon or look "weird".

Quote Originally Posted by salaswampert View Post
    I also think age is a factor as people who favor the older gens. were more likely to support them for nostalgia, while the younger fans prefer the newer gens. as that is what they have grown up with. There are exceptions of course.
    I grew up with Gen 1, before Mew and Togepi existed. Of course, Gen 1 is special to me because of that, but I also love seeing new Pokemon. One of my favorite Pokemon is Giratina. While I grew up with and love the originals, I don't let that prevent me from enjoying the newer Gens. In my opinion though, I think the majority of older fans are able to look past nostalgia and enjoy the new Gens too.

It's funny... I was bored this summer so bought Black and White for something to do before I started university. Before it arrived I was flicking through the Unova dex to see what I might like to train... and literally couldn't find anything worth training.
    Not sure how. I found several good Pokemon from Gen 5 for my Black team. Not to mention that my team for the sequels will include three Gen 5 Pokemon.

This gen has, frankly, sucked.
    If this were true, sales would reflect it. That doesn't appear to be the case.

The game is cool, the graphics for the earlier Pokemon are cool, but the new ones are jut embarrassing.
    More embarassing than Exeggutor? (Love it, but it is the weirdest Pokemon in my book)

Kanto is the best (enough of each type for a choice), Johto and Hoenn were nice, Sinnoh was cool for the evos of old Pokemon. This one brings nothing to the table.
    Kanto lacked Steel and Dark, which left Psychic with little (if anything) to stop it. (Also, there were only 3 Ghosts and 3 Dragons in Kanto, all a part of their own evolutionary lines.)

Unova at least gave us more Fire types than Sinnoh did. (Sinnoh gave us the Chimchar line, Magmortar, and Heatran. 3 lines, that's it) Not to mention the unique typings like Bug/Electric, Dragon/Fire and Dragon/Electric. Plus several other generally interesting Pokemon. AND Gen 5 gave us 5 more Pokemon than Gen 1 did. Gen 5 = 156 Pokemon, Gen 1 = 151.
    "Believe in yourself and create your own destiny. Don't fear failure." - Only Toonami
    -----
    My Pokemon Teams
    -----
    White 2 Team:
    Black Team:
    SoulSilver Team:
    Platinum Team:
    Diamond Team:
    FireRed Team:
    Ruby Team:

Quote Originally Posted by randomspot555 View Post
    I'm glad you were able to pass judgement on an entire generation of Pokemon without even bothering to play the game.
    Doing a bit of research and looking at every Pokemon is basically enough, I can tell what is gonna be fun to use by the moves, stats etc... a lot of them are just too weird and un-Pokemon like for my liking, is all.

Case example #4858583833849495 on "Guy who has outgrown Pokemon but refuses to admit it"
    What does it matter if someone has outgrown it or not? Like who the f*** cares? Dude it's a game. If it's got dumb, it's got dumb... still doesn't mean I don't wanna train a Sandslash through a new region. It's meant to be fun and it is if you don't take it seriously all the time, what do you care if I don't like the designs of Scolipede and Trubbish?

Quote Originally Posted by craigprime View Post
    This is basically how I feel. Braviary is awesome: Vanilla ice cream, a light fixing, a grass version of Stantler... not so much. The design of Volcarona gets me: it's like a weird moth that looks like it should be roughly a fire/bug version of Venomoth... except it evolves at a dumb high level and is RIDICULOUSLY strong.

I can't tell if the OP means weird as in the path Game Freak has taken with Generation V, or weird like more and more people see it as a "weird" game.

Assuming he means the first one, then no, I don't think it's getting weird at all. It's definitely different then how it was in Generation I and II, but that's kind of expected. I can see it as being rather hard for Game Freak to come up with loads of new Pokémon, characters, locations, etc. that stay true to to their original games.

So no, I don't think Pokémon has gotten weird per se. It's just... different.

TBTF EGC ACbay deviantART RNtMA
    Friend Safari: Shellgon, Gabite, Druddigon

3DS FC: 2320 6135 5667
    NN ID: TheUglyBarnacle

Doing a bit of research and looking at every Pokemon is basically enough, I can tell what is gonna be fun to use by the moves, stats etc... a lot of them are just too weird and un-Pokemon like for my liking, is all.
    Again, congratulations on passing judgement without even playing the game.

Listen, there were a lot of people with complaints when designs were first released. This happens every generation with almost every game and every type of game, even beyond Pokemon. But most people gave Gen 5 a fair shot and decided to stop hating and start at least liking, if not loving, this gen.

The people who largely dismiss an entire generation of Pokemon without even playing the game is something beyond my comprehension. Pokemon are more than just move pools and stats. If you don't give yourself a chance to go on an adventure and have fun with your Pokemon, and find out things that a spreadsheet wouldn't tell you, then you haven't given them a fair shot.

What does it matter if someone has outgrown it or not?
    The point of people outgrowing Pokemon is they don't like Pokemon at all. They don't like Gen I, or Gen III, or any Gen. But the chronic complainers like to keep their nostalgia glasses on when, in fact, Pokemon has largely stayed the same and it is they who have changed.

So I wish they'd just be honest and say they've outgrown Pokemon instead of saying crap like Pokemon is ruined forever.

what do you care if I don't like the designs of Scolipede and Trubbish?
    Because this is a discussion forum.

This is basically how I feel. Braviary is awesome: Vanilla ice cream, a light fixing, a grass version of Stantler... not so much. The design of Volcarona gets me: it's like a weird moth that looks like it should be roughly a fire/bug version of Venomoth... except it evolves at a dumb high level and is RIDICULOUSLY strong.
    Having actually played the game, Braviary was meh to me except I thought it'd be great. Its movepool isn't all that great and isn't available until very late in the game. And I initially dismissed Pidove line as a sub-par regional bird, but fell in love with using Air Cutter+Super Luck, which is especially useful with all the Bugs in Unova. These are things I couldn't decide on just by looking at a spread sheet of stats. And my Snivy evolved into my most powerful in-game Pokemon despite its shallow movepool.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

How is Pokemon not Pokemon enough? You can argue that it is going in a different direction than the 1st gen, but saying Pokemon isn't like Pokemon is saying that Scooby Doo isn't like Scooby Doo. (Nothing beats the old Scooby Doo, and they did do different things, but it's still Scooby Doo).

What does it matter if someone has outgrown it or not? Like who the f*** cares? Dude it's a game. If it's got dumb, it's got dumb... still doesn't mean I don't wanna train a Sandslash through a new region. It's meant to be fun and it is if you don't take it seriously all the time, what do you care if I don't like the designs of Scolipede and Trubbish?
    Scolipede looks like any Bug/Poision Pokemon. If you say it's dumb, why is it dumb? Don't you think that we should be given explanations to be assured that your opinion isn't baseless?

Volcarona is the incarnate of the sun. Don't you ever mouth off about it! Joking aside (although I love Volcarona), you can look at previous designs and see weird things, like magnets with eyes and Pokeballs that you capture with Pokeballs.

There is a difference between an educated opinion and a baseless opinion...

Hoenn has disappointed.

dude have you looked at states of Hydragon... and pray tell what on Arceus is pokemon like? is it another Gewoner term for " WAHHH IT NO LOOK LIKE GEN 1 ANYMORE GF SUCKS WAHHHH!"

Sir Agislash is here! Reporting for duty!

Please define what "un-Pokemon like" is supposed to be describing. I'm fairly sure that each generation brought different design. People called Generation 3 "Un-Pokemon like", and the same with Generation 4. It seems that Generation 5 is just a new complaint magnet.
    If its got dumb, its got dumb? Why has it "got dumb?" Because its different? Change is an easy thing to complain about. I still haven't seen some actual justification.

I'm not going to fight your opinion, but I'd like to know exactly what makes Volcarona so weird. Furthermore, what exactly is fundamentally wrong with a chandelier or an ice cream cone?
    3DS FC (Pokemon X): 1848-1667-7668
    Friend safari is Ice with Snorunt, Beartic, and Cloyster. Looking for Dragon safaris, safaris with Whirlipede or Espurr, and Y-exclusive Mega Stones.

Shiny Chains (D/P): Ralts, Magnemite, Beldum
    Targets: Shinx
    Shiny Chains (X/Y): None
    Targets: Clauncher/Clawitzer, Swirlix, Smeargle

its seems like odd Gens get more crap, when in reality they're the most original, I mean Gen 3 only had wynaut as a Pokemon linked to a past Gen and Gen 5 had all completely new Pokemon where as Gen 2 and 4 had Pokedexs filled with older ge Evo's and Pre evos

I'm only 12 but I've been playing since Red/Blue ( got Red when I was like 3 or 4 ) and no, I don't really care, he's living in the past. It's time to move on. If anything it's becoming more exciting and less plain and simple!

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    Been playing since day one in 1998. Tell him "veteran" players don't care.
    yeah, you preach it man
    Guild Of Shadow will rise above all! Feel the darkness

coming to a guild forums section near you

Quote Originally Posted by red2000 View Post
    its seems like odd Gens get more crap, when in reality they're the most original, I mean Gen 3 only had wynaut as a Pokemon linked to a past Gen and Gen 5 had all completely new Pokemon where as Gen 2 and 4 had Pokedexs filled with older ge Evo's and Pre evos
    This is true as people hate experiencing new things and they don't want to let go of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by red2000 View Post
    Generation 3 had Azuril as well, it's still not a lot but still.

Also, cross gen pre evolutions and cross gen evolutions can be original still.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

I personally enjoy popping in my all time favorite pokemon game which is Leaf Green, I enjoy that game just as much as I enjoy Black/White. A true pokemon fan will enjoy every new and old aspect of the game.
    X FC 1650 1536 9669

Quote Originally Posted by stylesbk View Post
    I personally enjoy popping in my all time favorite pokemon game which is Leaf Green, I enjoy that game just as much as I enjoy Black/White. A true pokemon fan will enjoy every new and old aspect of the game.
    No they won't. They're allowed to have preferences and don't have to mindlessly embrace everything that Game Freak puts out.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467

Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

As yet another person who grew up with the original, I can see where the appeal begins to wane. Nostalgia will always be a trump card, and regardless of how good a new Pokemon game really "is" or "isn't," memories of playing my Red cartridge in my childhood will always be better.

It's not really a fight between the new gens and old gens; it's an impossible battle with an aspect of your identity as a child. It's the same reason "old folks" always talk about the "good old days," even if the fifties, by our measure, weren't so good. It's when they were young, where the world just seemed a bit sunnier and more care-free, so there's no arguing with that.

Quote Originally Posted by abdulmuhsee View Post
    it's an impossible battle with an aspect of your identity as a child.
    No it's not; I hate child-me. He was really dumb. I played RBY when they first came out (hell, getting Red Version and a Game Boy Color for my birthday is my earliest memory), and even though there is the potential for nostalgia I realize that overall, they weren't that great. For their time, maybe, but when compared to newer Gens? BW are just so much better in my opinion. To be honest, I actually have a much fonder connection to BW than I do RBY.
    Last edited by Endolise; 27th September 2012 at 6:47 PM.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467

Again, congratulations on passing judgement without even playing the game.

Listen, there were a lot of people with complaints when designs were first released. This happens every generation with almost every game and every type of game, even beyond Pokemon. But most people gave Gen 5 a fair shot and decided to stop hating and start at least liking, if not loving, this gen.

The people who largely dismiss an entire generation of Pokemon without even playing the game is something beyond my comprehension. Pokemon are more than just move pools and stats. If you don't give yourself a chance to go on an adventure and have fun with your Pokemon, and find out things that a spreadsheet wouldn't tell you, then you haven't given them a fair shot.
    I have played Pokemon Black and have completed it. I loved everything about gen 5 EXCEPT the pool of Pokemon. The game is absolutely amazing, the story is better than ever before and the cities and characters are fantastic. I just don't like a lot of the Pokemon designs. They may be unique: I just don't like them. I had a conversation with someone else I know who bought Black and he had the same opinion as me: 'Why should I bother to train a Gothitelle when I would rather have a Gardevoir' - meaning that for everything he saw he could think of a similar looking Pokemon of the same type which was cooler. The Pokemon aren't as cool, appealing, nice to train. Maybe it's my lack of attachment to the anime which I still watched occasionally in generation 3. Maybe I'd have liked it better with a few ole' friends thrown in. Pearl was cool for me because I could pick up Heracross, Golduck or Gengar on the way and have a bit of gen-diversity. I can't put my finger on actually what it is, but I can't be the only one who doesn't like some of the designs, can I?

Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    No they won't. They're allowed to have preferences and don't have to mindlessly embrace everything that Game Freak puts out.
    This is how I feel. I don't feel like I should have to love everything about this game because it's Pokemon.

I have played Pokemon Black and have completed it. I loved everything about gen 5 EXCEPT the pool of Pokemon. The game is absolutely amazing, the story is better than ever before and the cities and characters are fantastic. I just don't like a lot of the Pokemon designs. They may be unique: I just don't like them. I had a conversation with someone else I know who bought Black and he had the same opinion as me: 'Why should I bother to train a Gothitelle when I would rather have a Gardevoir' - meaning that for everything he saw he could think of a similar looking Pokemon of the same type which was cooler. The Pokemon aren't as cool, appealing, nice to train. Maybe it's my lack of attachment to the anime which I still watched occasionally in generation 3. Maybe I'd have liked it better with a few ole' friends thrown in. Pearl was cool for me because I could pick up Heracross, Golduck or Gengar on the way and have a bit of gen-diversity. I can't put my finger on actually what it is, but I can't be the only one who doesn't like some of the designs, can I?
    The approach of Black and White was to resemble Red and Blue and have its own pool of Pokemon. There were some similarities, like Gigalith and Golem, Sawk and Throh and the Hitmons, Audino and Chansey, as well as Woobat and Zubat. It would be no exaggeration that Black and White took a radically different course than other add-on generations in that it went closer to the original. If you don't like a fifth gen Pokemon as much as a Pokemon you grew up with and loved for a long time, then I guess it's your loss.

Hoenn has disappointed.

While I don't in anyway believe the game is getting too weird or getting ruined or killing my childhood or any of that, I will state that my like of the newer stuff is waning.

Generation V, with a few exceptions (such as Jellicent and Chandelure) is my least favorite generation yet across the board. I've been playing Pokemon since Day 1 in America and in my eyes things have been going down hill since Generation III. Not the game play or the story line or the game mechanics; no, all of that is getting better (really looking forward to the Pokemon World Tournament in B/W 2. That is just an amazing innovation for the series). What has been steadily going down hill for me is the Pokemon, especially the starters and especially the Legendaries. Gen I is my favorite for starters, Gen II for Legendaries (assuming we're grandfathering in Mewtwo and Mew); Gen IV started to tax them both in my eyes and they were my least favorite before Gen V. The Legendaries stopped feeling important and special to me, beginning to feel like just more powerful mons to collect with the rest (I gave not 3 monkey butts about the trio, Dialga, Shaymin, Darkrai or Cresselia. Jury is still out on Arceus and Palkia, but I love Giratina). I did not care much for any of the starters or their forms, except for Empoleon (who is just a badass in my book).

Gen V on the other hand completely broke my base. I hated all the starters and honestly just looked at the mascot legendaries as completely generic and uninteresting in my eyes; Genesect and Keldeo would have made better mascots in my eyes. Gen V is honestly the first generation where I'm so glad the Dream World exists, where I've gone out of my way to get trades and actually refusing to use my starter (except for when I had to in order to ditch it). I've always used my starter and always kept it in my party, but not this time around. But I still play White and still enjoy the games and still plan to buy more and play more because, guess what, I can always bring in the older Pokemon I like more.

I can't put my finger on it, but Gen V's Pokemon just feel like they've lost that spark that Gen I and Gen II had in spades and Gen III was toying around with. Maybe it's the American feel they tried to establish or maybe it was the rework they were doing to draw in a new lifetime of players, I don't know. I do feel that they need to reassess their priorities on a conceptual level and make more Keldeos and Galvantulas and far less Zekroms and Kyurems. Because, in the words of my girlfriend, "There's a fine line between Pokemon and Digimon. And Generation V is crossing it."

But that's just my opinion on the matter.

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast