Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Is Pokemon Getting Weird?

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyUmbreon189 View Post
    I think lots of the "newer" Pokemon are kind of similar looking to the older ones but you still can find differences. Like the gears Pokemon. They are kind of knock offs of the Magnemite line. Also the garbage Pokemon in Unova look like knock offs of the Grimer line. Old Pokemon look weird too like Voltorb, Electrode, Magnemite, Magneton, Grimer, Muk, etc. But the newer ones look REALLY weird if you ask me.
    Well duh; that's because Gen 5 was meant to resemble Gen 1, up to and including Pokemon designs such as having trash/sludge Pokemon, mechanical/inanimate Pokemon, humanoid Pokemon, and several others that are clear parallels to past evolutionary lines.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    And. What qualifies "more" as "ridiculous"?
    You ask me. 20+ legendary's is pointless.
    My Soundcloud

My ReverbNation

Music & Musicians Alliance Club

Except the last two Gens have only released about 13 Legendaries each?
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467

Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    Except the last two Gens have only released about 13 Legendaries each?
    Yea the first gen has like what... 5?
    My Soundcloud

My ReverbNation

Well I'm not seeing a problem; they're just numbers anyway. The only difference that introducing fewer Legendaries per Gen would make is a slower increase in the amount of Legendaries, but we'd likely reach that amount at some point anyway so all they're really doing is slightly speeding up the process.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467

Okay. But. What makes them pointless?

But what makes this number any more or less valid than the higher totals the later generations offer?

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Okay. But. What makes them pointless?

But what makes this number any more or less valid than the higher totals the later generations offer?
    You don't need this many legendary's. They just aren't needed. They overdid it.
    My Soundcloud

My ReverbNation

What defines "needed" and what defines "overdid it"? You're still answering questions with opinions and subjectivities. You still haven't explained what, objectively, made five Legendaries the "right number" and what, objectively, makes more "the wrong number".

-----
    Words to|live by

What defines "needed" and what defines "overdid it"? You're still answering questions with opinions and subjectivities. You still haven't explained what, objectively, made five Legendaries the "right number" and what, objectively, makes more "the wrong number".
    Each legendary in the old ones had a story behind it. The 3 birds were mentioned or showed up somewhere in the anime and same with the 3 dogs. The rest of the trios were there just cos I guess. Mewtwo had lots of story's behind it and so did Mew. Lugia and Ho-Oh has a story as well. Arceus and the 3 deminsional Pokemon have a story too but lots of the other just don't. Celebi was mentioned too so ya.
    My Soundcloud

My ReverbNation

The question, though, always: how does one quantify and support these as evaluations?
    Indeed, and the charge of "fanmon" is just as loose as the charge of Digimon. By citing that the art style has changed, I effectively eliminate an objective rebuke because the style is elastic.

My best answer probably stems from his faux-alien (round head, full colored eyes) appearance, and the cannon on his back having no obvious physical purpose but to simply outfit him with a weapon, while we already have Blastoise playing off the massive space inside of his shell and the water pokemon's need to be continually hydrated to use his as example of making the silly plausible. Genesect was simply built for battle, and it shows. While Team Plasma being responsible for the cannon (Checking Serebii, there seems to be a touch of inconsistency between the White and BW2 Pokedex entries on whether they added it or changed it) would justify the sloppy addition, because than it really would be, until I suspect Genesect was designed explicitly with that backstory in mind it doesn't clear it. I can't and won't say that the artist who designed Genesect has lost his touch, but I will allow for the option that the design is just bad.
    Last edited by Pinsirius; 8th October 2012 at 6:16 AM.

^ Never underestimate the ability of 1 Megabyte to bring out every emotion imaginable.

Frankly, I like collecting Legendaries and reading up on their backgrounds, so I would say the more Legendaries, the better.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467

Frankly, I like collecting Legendaries and reading up on their backgrounds, so I would say the more Legendaries, the better.
    They could of at least spread them out. They don't need to keep adding 2 or 3 to each generation.
    My Soundcloud

My ReverbNation

They could of at least spread them out. They don't need to keep adding 2 or 3 to each generation.
    But they're not. The last two Gens had thirteen each. 13 + 0 = 13.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467

But they're not. The last two Gens had thirteen each. 13 + 0 = 13.
    And this is why I don't play B/W.
    My Soundcloud

My ReverbNation

Each legendary in the old ones had a story behind it.
    Except they didn't. The birds, literally, were just sitting there in Generation I. Any semblance of a backstory they might have had was from the anime, which counts toward very little.

The rest of the trios were there just cos I guess.
    The Regis, the pixies, the kamis and the musketeers are all given stories within their respective games.

but lots of the other just don't.
    Likewise for Heatran, Cresselia, Darkrai and Shaymin. All of them given more story or explanation in game than the birds.

They don't need to keep adding 2 or 3 to each generation.
    Still we use "need" in the criticisms, despite there being no way to objectively define "need".

But you're perfectly content to complain about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsirius View Post
    My best answer probably stems from his faux-alien (round head, full colored eyes) appearance, and the cannon on his back having no obvious physical purpose but to simply outfit him with a weapon, while we already have Blastoise playing off the massive space inside of his shell and the water pokemon's need to be continually hydrated to use his as example of making the silly plausible. Genesect was simply built for battle, and it shows. While Team Plasma being responsible for the cannon (Checking Serebii, there seems to be a touch of inconsistency between the White and BW2 Pokedex entries on whether they added it or changed it) would justify the sloppy addition, because than it really would be, until I suspect Genesect was designed explicitly with that backstory in mind it doesn't clear it.
    Well. Thank you for explaining all that, at least. The BW2 entries say the cannon was added - we should probably go with that, given that a prehistoric insect Pokémon with a cannon on its back would just be too weird for anything.

What I would ask, though, is that if Genesect being designed with its backstory in mind would be that big a deal? Assuming you are in fact making a point of that - I'm not quite sure from your last sentence. Can't be likely conclude that Mewtwo was created with its backstory, being a monstrous clone of Mew, in mind as well?

-----
    Words to|live by

There aren't even 13 available Legendaries in BW. There's Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, Reshiram/Zekrom, Kyurem, Tornadus/Thundurus, and Landorus (who can only be accessed if you have both Versions). So per Version, you're only able to catch six Legendaries, which is a mere two more than were available in RBY.

But of course, you wouldn't know that having not played the game. Though prejudice like that really kinda takes away any merit your argument may have had.
    Last edited by Endolise; 8th October 2012 at 6:48 AM.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467

You're right. If that person doesnt even play Black and White, then what point does their argument even have if they never even experienced the game? And really, what right do they have to criticize it. I personally, think that the number of legendaries doesnt even matter in the games. They are fun to collect for lots of people, and frankly they are just really cool. So why are people even bringing the numbers in as a problem? Why does it even matter? Its not hurting them in any way. Its not affecting anyone. If you dont like the legendaries then just dont catch them. It shouldnt even be a problem. Let the creators of Pokemon do whatever they want, if they want to create many various legendaries then i say, all right thats fine, not a problem. Clearly they arent doing anything wrong seeing as how people still like to play it. I think they have earned the right to be courageous and face us with more cool legendaries. I welcome it.
    Pokemon X Team

FRIEND CODE: 0688-6688-6549

There aren't even 13 available Legendaries in BW. There's Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, Reshiram/Zekrom, Kyurem, Tornadus/Thundurus, and Landorus (who can only be accessed if you have both Versions). So per Version, you're only able to catch six Legendaries, which is a mere two more than were available in RBY.

But of course, you wouldn't know that having not played the game. Though prejudice like that really kinda takes away any merit your argument may have had.
    I've played it before but quit playing it.
    My Soundcloud

My ReverbNation

Pokemon has been "weird" since MissingNo.
    So, in other words, since Gen 1.
    Nothing wrong with something being weird and/or different...
    Under Construction

Pokemon? Weird? Nope. Seriously, I don't get what's all the hate on Vanillite for being 'uncreative' when A Fire breathing dragon that gets all the fan love isn't. Charizard's Fire Breathing Dragon design has been WAYYYYYYY overused, admit it. But do you see an ice cream being a monster in MMO? Hasn't occurred to me that ice creams are dangerous. Vanillite line is what I called creative. Gamefreak thinks outside the box in the fifth gen. Compared to what some think, I think that gen 5 actually is some of the most creative gen. Sure there's the ever overused Purrloin but a Candle Pokemon that takes away life? An ice cream Pokemon? A Pokemon that is designed off a trash bag thingy? They're giving life to something we take it is as easily dismissible and would not give us zero creativity. How often have you thought of transferring everyday street lamps into pokemon?

That's all I'm gonna say people. And people who don't try out 5th Gen does not have the right to criticize the gen :3

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    Been playing since day one in 1998. Tell him "veteran" players don't care.
    My thoughts exactly. I've been playing since Red and Black/White/Black2/White2 got me back into the franchise.
    I am working on a living pokedex, so unless specified below, I should have most pokemon available for trade if they are breedable. Shoot me a PM.

White - TAB - 5372 7832 2537
    Black 2 - TAB - 1206 7027 8153

Shinies

Spoiler:- Extra Legendaries:

Spoiler:- Legendaries Needed:

Quote Originally Posted by BNator92 View Post
    Pokemon has been "weird" since MissingNo.
    So, in other words, since Gen 1.
    Nothing wrong with something being weird and/or different...
    Missingno was a glitch.... You weren't even supposed to know about it.

I've played it before but quit playing it.
    And you quit playing because six Legendaries was just two Legendaries too many for you, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Koinu View Post
    If you dont like the legendaries then just dont catch them. It shouldnt even be a problem. Let the creators of Pokemon do whatever they want.
    Exactly; if you don't like them, don't use them. But really, none of the fans have the right to determine whether a Pokemon is "necessary" or "overboard" or what-have-you; ultimately, only Game Freak can make that call.
    Last edited by Endolise; 8th October 2012 at 3:29 PM.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467

Well. Thank you for explaining all that, at least.
    You get way too many responses that don't get where you're coming from for me not to give you the courtesy

The BW2 entries say the cannon was added - we should probably go with that, given that a prehistoric insect Pokémon with a cannon on its back would just be too weird for anything.
    Indeed.

What I would ask, though, is that if Genesect being designed with its backstory in mind would be that big a deal? Assuming you are in fact making a point of that - I'm not quite sure from your last sentence. Can't be likely conclude that Mewtwo was created with its backstory, being a monstrous clone of Mew, in mind as well?
    I guess did bring it back around to "If Game Freak can explain, how much can I complain about it?" Mewtwo is meant to look freakish too. I guess I see Genesect as somehow not gelling with the rest of his generation the way the other Legendaries do- but how do you define gelling anymore when generations have only been getting more diverse and distinctive looking since Gen 3?

^ Never underestimate the ability of 1 Megabyte to bring out every emotion imaginable.

Do what? Gamefreak doesn't care.

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast