Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Pokemon Getting Weird?

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Coated Gengar View Post
    Because, in the words of my girlfriend, "There's a fine line between Pokemon and Digimon. And Generation V is crossing it."
    Wholesomely inaccurate words indeed!

Hoenn has disappointed.

P.S. I get tired of complaints from great games.
    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

People are weird for thinking Pokemon is getting weird....
    My Pokemon White FC: 4728-4965-2910
    My Pokemon White 2 FC: 4513-8303-2953

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic Politoed View Post
    Wholesomely inaccurate words indeed!
    What, that I have a girlfriend? :P

I've been playing Digimon since back when it was just a Tamagotchi style keychain game and have owned and played and watched as much of that industry as I have Pokemon and I have to admit that some of the recent pokemon (especially Kyurem) look more at home in Digimon than Pokemon when it comes to the visual design.

Edit:

Oh and nice cherry picking of my entire post.

I've been playing Digimon since back when it was just a Tamagotchi style keychain game and have owned and played and watched as much of that industry as I have Pokemon and I have to admit that some of the recent pokemon (especially Kyurem) look more at home in Digimon than Pokemon when it comes to the visual design.
    Let's have an example:

Galvantula: Pokemon
    Galvantula has a simplistic design that shows a Pokemon.

Now if he were a digimon...

Galvantulamon: Digimon (made-up)
    It has a robotic abdomen and has a crosshair scope eye. Come to think of it, that would be kind of awesome, but not really the epitome of Pokemon.

Edit:

Oh and nice cherry picking of my entire post.
    I was reading it, and then I had a sore spot in my eye. You could call it, an eyesore.

Hoenn has disappointed.

Let's have an example:

Galvantula: Pokemon
    Galvantula has a simplistic design that shows a Pokemon.

Now if he were a digimon...

Galvantulamon: Digimon (made-up)
    It has a robotic abdomen and has a crosshair scope eye. Come to think of it, that would be kind of awesome, but not really the epitome of Pokemon.
    Strawmaning.

I specifically mentioned Galvantula was one of the Gen V Pokemon I liked and what I felt that Gen V and all future generations needed more of. It has that art style reminiscent of Generations I and II.

I was reading it, and then I had a sore spot in my eye. You could call it, an eyesore.
    That sir...was a terrible pun. I love terrible puns but you make me question the seriousness of your posts. xD

Strawmaning.

I specifically mentioned Galvantula was one of the Gen V Pokemon I liked and what I felt that Gen V and all future generations needed more of. It has that art style reminiscent of Generations I and II.
    Just an example that popped into my head as you have mentioned it. Digimon look more complicated then Pokemon generally, especially when they are hypermegadigivolved. I have to admit that the least Pokemon looking Pokemon are the Incarnation Kami forms. However, they don't look like Digimon. If you took the time to understand, the Kami are based on Shinto deities, which was bound to happen in Pokemon.

That sir...was a terrible pun. I love terrible puns but you make me question the seriousness of your posts. xD
    Please, that wasn't as punny as ones I typically do.

Hoenn has disappointed.

Just an example that popped into my head as you have mentioned it. Digimon look more complicated then Pokemon generally, especially when they are hypermegadigivolved. I have to admit that the least Pokemon looking Pokemon are the Incarnation Kami forms. However, they don't look like Digimon. If you took the time to understand, the Kami are based on Shinto deities, which was bound to happen in Pokemon.
    You honestly think Zekrom, Reshiram, and Kyurem look more like Pokemon than the Therian Trio? The Therian Formes are at least somewhat reminiscent to the Legendary Dogs in my eyes.

Though, honestly, Kyurem is the Pokemon that I wouldn't know wasn't a Digimon if you just showed me a photo of it.

All Pokemon look like Pokemon. I don't get why people try and make these situations where this looks like it's from another franchise. Each monster franchise has plenty of different concepts that get put into designs, but in the end, they don't look like one another as they aren't created by the same people.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

Quote Originally Posted by gliscor&yanmega View Post
    All Pokemon look like Pokemon. I don't get why people try and make these situations where this looks like it's from another franchise. Each monster franchise has plenty of different concepts that get put into designs, but in the end, they don't look like one another as they aren't created by the same people.
    See, that's just honestly either a circular argument fallacy or a begging the claim fallacy. Just because it is part of the Pokemon franchise does not mean it is beyond reproach of the claims that it deviates from the core design feel that was established by Pokemon as a franchise.

I think you can clearly state that Kyurem and it's forms are artistically different than other Pokemon.

See, that's just honestly either a circular logic fallacy or a begging the claim fallacy. Just because it is part of the Pokemon franchise does not mean it is beyond reproach of the claims that it deviates from the core design feel that was established by Pokemon as a franchise.

I think you can clearly state that Kyurem and it's forms are artistically different than other Pokemon.
    Regardless, it makes no difference. A Pokemon is a Pokemon.

Regardless, it makes no difference. A Pokemon is a Pokemon.
    And your fallacious statement is still a fallacious statement.

You honestly think Zekrom, Reshiram, and Kyurem look more like Pokemon than the Therian Trio? The Therian Formes are at least somewhat reminiscent to the Legendary Dogs in my eyes.

Though, honestly, Kyurem is the Pokemon that I wouldn't know wasn't a Digimon if you just showed me a photo of it.
    The Tao Dragons look pretty much like the previous legendary dragons. Honestly, I don't see why this concept of yours should drag on.

Hoenn has disappointed.

And your fallacious statement is still a fallacious statement.
    If people want to believe that something looks like it's out of another franchise whatever, but it's ridiculous. There is no "look" for franchises, they all use a bunch of different concepts for their designs. Just because one isn't that well used in one doesn't make it any less of a creation from that franchise.

The Tao Dragons look pretty much like the previous legendary dragons. Honestly, I don't see why this concept of yours should drag on.
    Yes. The three of them do look like Palkia, Dialga and Giratina, but as I mentioned in my original post, it is around Generation IV that I personally saw the artistic design perspective begin to shift. So you didn't really refute my position at all. And I don't really think something that close to an ad hominem attack is really necessary. I am as entitled to having and discussing my opinion as you are.

Edit:

If people want to believe that something looks like it's out of another franchise whatever, but it's ridiculous. There is no "look" for franchises, they all use a bunch of different concepts for their designs. Just because one isn't that well used in one doesn't make it any less of a creation from that franchise.
    Strawmaning.

I never said Kyurem was any less a part of the Pokemon franchise because of it's design, nor did I say that it was a "Digmon ripoff" or anything of that sort. I was simply pointing out that it's core design does not seem in line with what has been the iconic design philosophy that Pokemon has used since Generation I, and used an anecdotal line as a metaphor for my point.
    Last edited by Candy Coated Gengar; 28th September 2012 at 12:42 AM.

While I don't in anyway believe the game is getting too weird or getting ruined or killing my childhood or any of that, I will state that my like of the newer stuff is waning.

Generation V, with a few exceptions (such as Jellicent and Chandelure) is my least favorite generation yet across the board. I've been playing Pokemon since Day 1 in America and in my eyes things have been going down hill since Generation III. Not the game play or the story line or the game mechanics; no, all of that is getting better (really looking forward to the Pokemon World Tournament in B/W 2. That is just an amazing innovation for the series). What has been steadily going down hill for me is the Pokemon, especially the starters and especially the Legendaries. Gen I is my favorite for starters, Gen II for Legendaries (assuming we're grandfathering in Mewtwo and Mew); Gen IV started to tax them both in my eyes and they were my least favorite before Gen V. The Legendaries stopped feeling important and special to me, beginning to feel like just more powerful mons to collect with the rest (I gave not 3 monkey butts about the trio, Dialga, Shaymin, Darkrai or Cresselia. Jury is still out on Arceus and Palkia, but I love Giratina). I did not care much for any of the starters or their forms, except for Empoleon (who is just a badass in my book).

Gen V on the other hand completely broke my base. I hated all the starters and honestly just looked at the mascot legendaries as completely generic and uninteresting in my eyes; Genesect and Keldeo would have made better mascots in my eyes. Gen V is honestly the first generation where I'm so glad the Dream World exists, where I've gone out of my way to get trades and actually refusing to use my starter (except for when I had to in order to ditch it). I've always used my starter and always kept it in my party, but not this time around. But I still play White and still enjoy the games and still plan to buy more and play more because, guess what, I can always bring in the older Pokemon I like more.

I can't put my finger on it, but Gen V's Pokemon just feel like they've lost that spark that Gen I and Gen II had in spades and Gen III was toying around with. Maybe it's the American feel they tried to establish or maybe it was the rework they were doing to draw in a new lifetime of players, I don't know. I do feel that they need to reassess their priorities on a conceptual level and make more Keldeos and Galvantulas and far less Zekroms and Kyurems. Because, in the words of my girlfriend, "There's a fine line between Pokemon and Digimon. And Generation V is crossing it."

But that's just my opinion on the matter.
    This is the exactly how I feel, and what I mean about 'un-Pokemon'. That entire post is a work of art that depicts precisely what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by OJG View Post
    This is the exactly how I feel, and what I mean about 'un-Pokemon'. That entire post is a work of art that depicts precisely what I meant.
    Over-abused comments are now a work of art? Maybe I should try that.

Well, all's well that ends well.

Edit: @Candy Coated Gengar: Did you not see it, or was it too subtle?

Hoenn has disappointed.

Strawmaning.

I never said Kyurem was any less a part of the Pokemon franchise because of it's design, nor did I say that it was a "Digmon ripoff" or anything of that sort. I was simply pointing out that it's core design does not seem in line with what has been the iconic design philosophy that Pokemon has used since Generation I, and used an anecdotal line as a metaphor for my point.
    And I'm saying that franchises use different concepts for designs all the time, so what does it matter if something doesn't look the same as the majority, it's simply something different.

I will kindly ask you to be more gentile in your discussion, because the level of aggression and condescension you're using isn't at all called for.

And I'm saying that franchises use different concepts for designs all the time, so what does it matter if something doesn't look the same as the majority, it's simply something different.
    But there is a core feel you can pick up on when you look at Pokemon across the generations. You can definitively say that Dialga has a core art difference from Mewtwo for example.

Do you secretly work for Gamefreak or something? You take this **** WAY too seriously kid. 'Waaaah the people on Serebii are saying horrible things about my beloved Unova!'

I will kindly ask you to be more gentile in your discussion, because the level of aggression and condescension you're using isn't at all called for.
    That was actually light-hearted as far as how lashing out reprimanding I can be.

I'll show you the comment again, and you can try to see what I did thar.

Quote Originally Posted by me
    Honestly, I don't see why this concept of yours should drag on.

Hoenn has disappointed.

That was actually light-hearted as far as how lashing out reprimanding I can be.

I'll show you the comment again, and you can try to see what I did thar.
    Ow. Ow. Ow. <3

I am so terribly sorry and apologize for my initial missing of your pun. I'm multitasking at the moment with the negotiations of an important trade, so I did not see your stealth pun.

Again, I greatly apologize for the misjudgement of your tone and your character and I hope you can forgive my slight.

But there is a core feel you can pick up on when you look at Pokemon across the generations. You can definitively say that Dialga has a core art difference from Mewtwo for example.
    I have never seen any generation's "core" being different, I've played from the start, and for me, the "core" feels the same as always.

I have never seen any generation's "core" being different, I've played from the start, and for me, the "core" feels the same as always.
    So, in all honesty, you see no difference between Bulbasaur, Groudon, Empoleon and Kyurem artistically? And I mean the core feel of their presentation not the obvious "yes, they're different looking".

So, in all honesty, you see no difference between Bulbasaur, Groudon, Empoleon and Kyurem artistically? And I mean the core feel of their presentation not the obvious "yes, they're different looking".
    Can you maybe expand more on what exactly you mean by "core", because I clearly have no idea what you are really trying to say.

EDIT: I see Pokemon as Pokemon. I could care less about this "core". I enjoy all generations pretty much equally, even if there really is a "core" difference, I still enjoy all these Pokemon they create each generation.
    Last edited by gliscor&yanmega; 28th September 2012 at 1:18 AM.

Please don't try to state your opinion as a fact, or imply that you are speaking on behalf of the entire collective fandom.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast