Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Pokemon Getting Weird?

Quote Originally Posted by OJG View Post
    You didn't get my point: I was obviously kidding. But had you said to 15 year old me when I was playing Sapphire 'hey there's gonna be a light fixing Pokemon... ghost/fire type with great Special Attack' I'd have probably said 'that sounds dumb even if it's strong'. I'd prefer it if they made more animal/plant at least kinda looking Pokemon (some, like Magnemite/Ditto/Porygon/Unown/Voltorb do go against this to be fair).

Although... I may be able make a Beauty and the Beast team one day. Ursaring (Beast), Chandelure (Lumiere) I already have; add a wardrobe, a clock, a teapot and a feather duster (all undoubtedly in the works) and we have a great theme team there.

Oh no... don't get me wrong, I don't expect GameFreak to throw out a jpeg of a Nike shoe as a Pokemon or anything with no effort. The shoe will have wings like Sigilyph, probably with a bunch of flames or something down the side, like they'll really design the **** out of it. The coat hanger will have an awesome animation where it bends itself into an exclamation point when it uses double team maybe... the suitcase will just flap open and close. They'll be thought out and designed - but the origin of the idea is dumb.
    you have to remember dispite its looks Chandelier isn't all Chandulure is based on. Like many other ghost types ( E.G Froslass) it is based on actuall Japanese ghost called Hitodama. And... how on earth do you come with animal based ghost types when ghost itself is linked more to supernatural than the nature. ( only animal based ghost types are Shiedninja and Jeliecent family). You need to remember there is limit to creating pokemon based on real life animals without being repeative. ( for me personally I am really sick of having dozens of cat based pokemons.) I actually think Sigilph is reallt creative as you can't straight away find what it is based on. I mean look at Seel and Ursaring. Almost every person can say " oh it's a seal" and " oh it's a bear". You can't say that to Sigilph.

Sir Agislash is here! Reporting for duty!

Quote Originally Posted by Morty05 View Post
    you have to remember dispite its looks Chandelier isn't all Chandulure is based on. Like many other ghost types ( E.G Froslass) it is based on actuall Japanese ghost called Hitodama. And... how on earth do you come with animal based ghost types when ghost itself is linked more to supernatural than the nature. ( only animal based ghost types are Shiedninja and Jeliecent family). You need to remember there is limit to creating pokemon based on real life animals without being repeative. ( for me personally I am really sick of having dozens of cat based pokemons.) I actually think Sigilph is reallt creative as you can't straight away find what it is based on. I mean look at Seel and Ursaring. Almost every person can say " oh it's a seal" and " oh it's a bear". You can't say that to Sigilph.
    Just remember most pokemon names are butchered once they leave Japan and become national so it may not even be its original Japanese name but yes some pokemon like the pan monkeys and Simi monkeys are getting a little weird
    Last edited by SmeargleRocks; 28th September 2012 at 1:01 PM.

Badge: Wyvern Badge
    Credit: AstralShadow (userbar) & Kida-Ookami (badge)

3DS XL FC for Pokemon Y 2595-0724-5772 IGN SmeargleRocks
    Shiny Number 1268

I can offer gen6 cloning services, I will only clone what I don't have as glitch cloning can take awhile and be stressful

Self caught shinies on Y 24
    first successfull (and accidental) MM Shelmet timid 31/1/19/31/31/31 4:25 pm EST 4/14/14
    Shiny XD Gale of Darkness Zubat caught September 17th 2012 @ 4:24 pm EST cave PokeSpot

FUC* ALL HACKERS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SmeargleRocks View Post
    Just remember most pokemon names are butchered once they leave Japan and become national so it may not even be its original Japanese name but yes some pokemon like the pan monkeys and Simi monkeys are getting a little weird
    How are they getting weird? They are based on Monkeys, having an element mixed into them. That's no different from Ponyta who's a Pony/Horse with Fire added to it, among the many many others with similar concepts.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

Except both those pokemon are both based on mythology.^

Not a simple elemental chimp like.. Infernape.

They made Mutant-Alien-Ice Cream.. Maybe it's getting a little weird, yes

"With blood and rage of crimson red,
    Ripped from a corpse so freshly dead,
    Together with our hellish hate,
    We'll burn you all, That is your fate!"

Quote Originally Posted by arceus7 View Post
    Except both those pokemon are both based on mythology.^

Not a simple elemental chimp like.. Infernape.
    It still doesn't change the fact it's a Horse on fire. Mythology or not, they could have just done a Horse and call it a day. Adding elements to Animals gives you more options and plenty of people like that kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Adalricus View Post
    1) Vanillite isn't alien.

2) They made mutant living Pokeballs and rocks with arms and faces. Maybe it's been a little weird, yes.
    My New 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Simply PM me if you want to add my code.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

People fail to notice that Vanillite is not literally ice cream. It just happens to look like it, when the snow it produces falls on its head. I love it. I call this reverse mimicry.

Its a floating crystal-based organism that releases snow into the air around it. Weve had other floating seemingly inorganic pokemon from the beginning.

The definite answer to Vanillite arguments is Koffing.

Since BW especially had many reused concepts, I am quite confident Vanillite is the result of something along the lines of "Lets make a fresh Koffing". Of course they went the thematic opposite, instead of hazardous its pure. Instead of resembling a mine, its ice cream!
    The only thing I am confused about is why they decided to make it evolve twice.
    I mean they both even gain heads!!

If anything It's actually getting better. The games have a story for the first time, that pretty much sums everything up.

Quote Originally Posted by Snivy Link View Post
    My cousin got me into Pokemon a year ago and he has been playing since he was 5 years old. Now he's 16 and I'm 13 and he doesn't want to play it anymore because he says it'd ruining his childhood memories since they're "fusing" Pokemon together or whatever is going on with Black Kyurem and White Kyurem. He says he wishes they would just cancel Pokemon so they don't ruin the legacy or whatever. I disagreed but he said that any veteran player like him would agree that they should, so i want to know if what he says is true...anybody?
    I'm about as veteran as a person can get, having owned the Blue version back when Pokémon was getting started. There is no call to cancel the Pokémon series yet. The 5th gen was the series' "second wind" if you want to call it that. The fusion thing is unique for a legendary trio, but not weird. Fusion has been around since gen 1. (Weezing is a fusion of two Koffings.) But the original dragon is probably the result of GameFreak using the best ideas possible for Gen 4. I mean, how do you top time, space, antimatter, and god?
    Anyways, my point... what was my point? ...Oh, I remember. My point is that there's no need to cancel the series yet. Not when it's doing so well,

With a few exceptions, I like the original 151 best. Too many of the newer designs seem ungainly, like Jynx, or Mr. Mime (which were 1st gen designs; even the 1st gen had a few bad designs). That doesn't mean you're wrong to like newer Pokemon; it's just my opinion.

In the 1st gen they had a Pokemon based off a balloon, Jigglypuff, so an ice cream cone isn't that weird. After reading over this topic, I looked up Vanillite. You know what? I kind of like its design. I think the eyes need work -they seem hollow- and they didn't have to draw a cone, but other than than those two things, it's ok.
    Last edited by pacman000; 3rd October 2012 at 8:14 PM. Reason: Clarifing examples
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

Some of the new Pokemon are getting a little weird but i think the game over all is fine.

But saying that they have to keep thinking up new ideas and so the new Pokemon would have to be things you wouldn't necessarily expect to see.

Credit to Mr. Joker for the Glee banner
    Credit to Skiyomi for the lovely Blue Snover banner

If anyone is interested in a custom ribbon for your profile pic, be sure to check out Ayra's sprite thread in the fanart section, if you want to take a look at her work have a look at my profile.

Sure (most) of the pokemon are getting weird. But the storylines and the gameplay get better.

Quote Originally Posted by BritishWeavile View Post
    Sure (most) of the pokemon are getting weird. But the storylines and the gameplay get better.
    I dont think the Pokemon are getting weird... sure theres one that looks like Ice Cream but Ive come up with a reason why it looks like that xP

Everything seems to be getting much better as more Generations are created
    My Pokemon White FC: 4728-4965-2910
    My Pokemon White 2 FC: 4513-8303-2953

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiitalian View Post
    Which is EXACTLY what I just said

Quote Originally Posted by BritishWeavile View Post
    Which is EXACTLY what I just said
    I was concluding with that so my post to be somewhat on topic~
    My Pokemon White FC: 4728-4965-2910
    My Pokemon White 2 FC: 4513-8303-2953

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiitalian View Post
    I dont think the Pokemon are getting weird... sure theres one that looks like Ice Cream but Ive come up with a reason why it looks like that xP

Well it's Pokedex entry basically says it's ice, so no one really has to come up with a reason when it's simply ice that formed into the shape of what we know as ice cream, just like how ice takes the shape of plenty of different things depending what kind of situation it's in.

My first game was silver. Yet my favorite gen is 3rd. Then again, I actually quite enjoyed 4th gen(not to mention giving me my fav pokemon[points at avi]), so perhaps I'm not the best example.

But has the series gotten weird? Eeeeeeeeeeeh, no, not really. Just different. The idea of Pokemon in itself was weird when it came out. 2nd gen featured pokemon that looked like letters, and a giant bird that, while it does live underwater, is actually Psychic/Flying. 3rd gen brought pokemon that could control the weather, one that could grant wishes. one from space that had four different appearances and stats. 4th gen really hit the wall of weirdness, when time and space were brought into the mix and they really outdid themselves by creating GOD. 5th gen has some dragons fusing together, and dragons that represent truth and ideals, and something in between.

Seems normal to me.
    ~Author's Profile||~||Art Shop~
    ~rTTL: Chapter 3: 22% ||~|~|~|| rAVT : Chapter 2: 0%~

Quote Originally Posted by Brutaka View Post
    they really outdid themselves by creating GOD.
    Everyone has to equate "creator of the universe" with "god" these days...
    My New 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467

Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Snivy Link View Post
    My cousin got me into Pokemon a year ago and he has been playing since he was 5 years old. Now he's 16 and I'm 13 and he doesn't want to play it anymore because he says it'd ruining his childhood memories since they're "fusing" Pokemon together or whatever is going on with Black Kyurem and White Kyurem. He says he wishes they would just cancel Pokemon so they don't ruin the legacy or whatever. I disagreed but he said that any veteran player like him would agree that they should, so i want to know if what he says is true...anybody?
    Yellow was my first pokemon game. ive been playing pokemon since I was 2 years. Ive played every pokemon game and I feel like each generation loses some of the magic. There was something about Yellow and GSC that just cant be found in the other games. I think the fact that that feeling of starting your first pokemon adventure can never be recaptured sort of turned me off the other games. Every generation the games gets better and better as far as gameplay and the technical stuff but it doesnt have whatever the first two generations had that made it so amazing. When your a 3 year old and you fire up your gameboy and dive into the pokemon world its life changing but now every time I fire up my DS I die a little because I know I'll never be able to experience that moment again. I think that makes me dislike the 3rd 4th and 5th generations. There is no denying that technically and as far as gameplay goes they are vastly improved but I cant fall in love with these games.

Quote Originally Posted by OldManJenkins View Post
    There was something about Yellow and GSC that just cant be found in the other games.
    Youth and nostalgia. Alas, we haven't found ways to replicate these with bytes and bits yet and we have to make do otherwise.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

The only Pokémon thing I would be ok with being cancelled is the anime, ONLY so that Magna Pacific (or VIZ, though I doubt they'd do something like it) could come up with a collector's boxset of the entire anime.

As for the games, I've been playing the games since 2000 (though I was watching the anime since the beginning), and I think the fusions and alternate forms are pretty cool, I just don't want them to be too common, which I'm afraid that they just might be. The games are still amazing, no matter my opinion of some of the Pokemon designs

Quote Originally Posted by OldManJenkins View Post
    but now every time I fire up my DS I die a little because I know I'll never be able to experience that moment again.
    Maybe taking it a little too seriously...
    My New 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467

I loved the first couple seasons of the anime more than life itself. And then Ash went to Hoenn, and then... :'(

Started playin in 98 when i was 8 and got red for xmas, i havent yet been dissapointed by a generation, though RSE are my least favorite main series games

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast