Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Is Pokemon Getting Weird?

I kind of like the fusions. I'm waiting for more
    Within my lifetime, I've done a lot of walking. I started my journey walking on a little path called Route 1. Little did I know that walking down that route would lead me onwards to a road that went by the name of Victory. Just west of Victory Road, I walked up an entire mountain where atop stood a silent trainer who was one of the mightiest I had ever faced. I've walked, through sandstorms, across the hard desert of Hoenn. I've walked through pelting hail, across the snow covered terrains of Sinnoh. And now as I look back on all my travels I find myself walking across the Skyarrow Bridge of Unova. It took a lot of walking through tall grass patches to get where I am today...But it was worth the walk.

In a word…yes
    Come on a pokemon wouldn’t have an iron beam or concrete or karate gi’s in the wild
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post
    In a word…yes
    Come on a pokemon wouldn’t have an iron beam or concrete or karate gi’s in the wild
    Actually, Pokemon has always been weird. And Pokemon can hold items in the wild. So what's weird about holding wood when others hold balls of iron?

“May the stars shine down on you.” - tumblr
    - i've claimed zelos wilder and tales of the abyss

In a word…yes
    Well to be fair, gen I introduced pokemon wielding spoons and leeks and also some that wear red dresses, purple tunics, and not to mention speedos...

I think garbodor looks really stupid. Its just a Muk clone and while there is nothing wrong with that IMO there is no denying Muk is way cooler.
    EDIT: btw I know my nostalgia goggles are on pretty tight. Also Just because someone doesnt like the new generations doesnt mean they didnt give it a fair shake.
    Last edited by OldManJenkins; 7th October 2012 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldManJenkins View Post
    I think garbodor looks really stupid. Its just a Muk clone and while there is nothing wrong with that there is no denying Muk is way cooler.
    I suggest you add "In my opinion" somewhere in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Poliwhirl'sMittens View Post
    I suggest you add "In my opinion" somewhere in there.
    I had "I think".

The second sentence is said in a way which suggests that it is a fact that Muk is cooler, especially when you add "there's no denying"

Fixed it. sorry I didnt think it was a big deal.
    You don't know how sensitive some people are on here. I on the other hand don't mind and just warn others.

You don't know how sensitive some people are on here. I on the other hand don't mind and just warn others.
    Yeah. Ive never been on a forum with such sensitive people. But then again usually when im foruming its on grasscity/4chan/420chan and thats about as insensitive as it gets.

Hold on. There was a time when Pokemon wasn't wierd?

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    Hold on. There was a time when Pokemon wasn't wierd?
    Crazy, I know right? Rocks with arms and faces and buff humanoids in speedos were completely normal.

If anything its gotten less weird. Especially when you look at the R/G/B sprites.

The Japanese are weird perverted geniuses, get over it!
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

In a word…yes
    So you ignore all past Pokemon that are in similar conditions, ok, just another flawed answer.

I think garbodor looks really stupid. Its just a Muk clone and while there is nothing wrong with that IMO there is no denying Muk is way cooler.
    EDIT: btw I know my nostalgia goggles are on pretty tight. Also Just because someone doesnt like the new generations doesnt mean they didnt give it a fair shake.
    "Stupid" and "cool" are subjective so no, there is actually a way to deny Muk isn't cooler, that being people who prefer Garbodor over it, and yes people as such do exist. And also, no it's not a "clone", counterpart would be more accurate. Clones are near identical, these two look nothing alike and simple have a similar concept of being based on something gross, they look incredibly different.

It's more of the matter that this kind of thing gets brought up all the time and most of the time people have a poor way of stating their "opinion". There's nothing wrong with simply say "I don't like so and so, I'm just not interested in this and that", apposed to "This is so stupid, why they base this on that, my childhood is ruined now, they ran out of ideas, it's not good anymore".

You can state your view on something without insulting it.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    Youth and nostalgia. Alas, we haven't found ways to replicate these with bytes and bits yet and we have to make do otherwise.
    I've tried restarting Blue version several times. It's still fun, but it's not the same.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

You know, if you think Pokemon is weird, I guess you never played the Mother series, and I think some people that made Pokemon also help make it in some way. What company was it...? Oh yeah, it was Creatures/Ape.

I hate coming into huge topics, knowing everything I say is likely a repeat of someone else.

It's design choices have absolutely shifted away from what the first to gens were; that much is undeniably and nor do the core crew deny it, they consider it necessary. Can't blame them for that; the kids first seeing the series in 2007 or so, for example, grew up in a very different entertainment world than those who were single or low double digits in the 90s. More anime inspiration in cartoons for the international players, and more importantly a world where Pokemon's already had a substantial legacy and enormous influence.

Is someone from the old guard allowed to feel off-put by this? I would hate to see the slippery slope we'd be heading down if the answer was no. I can tell you 5th gen's designs (In humans as well as Pokemon!) don't entirely sit well with me. Not going to make a fuss about it, but I'll say it. And frankly, if Fusions become standard (Which they haven't yet- Kyurem getting a second life is cool) I will consider it a bit of shark jump; it just doesn't make any sense at all beyond what little I know of their relevance to BW2's plot. As glad as I am that genwunner rebuttals have been mastered down pat, they should be, folks who haven't played Pokemon since 2001's opinions are in a different world than current players, too often these defenders have become their own worst enemies, not allowing people to have any suspicions of the new material. I scroll through five pages in this topic before posting and already see it.

Also, realized again that EVERYTHING IN MAH SIG MAKES ME LOOK LIKE A GENWUNNER.

And Poliwhirl that sprite combo is brillaint.
    Last edited by Pinsirius; 8th October 2012 at 5:43 AM.

^ Never underestimate the ability of 1 Megabyte to bring out every emotion imaginable.

It only gets better and better for every Main Series game(s) they release.
    (I actually do think that R/G/B are the worst Pokémon games.)

I think lots of the "newer" Pokemon are kind of similar looking to the older ones but you still can find differences. Like the gears Pokemon. They are kind of knock offs of the Magnemite line. Also the garbage Pokemon in Unova look like knock offs of the Grimer line. Old Pokemon look weird too like Voltorb, Electrode, Magnemite, Magneton, Grimer, Muk, etc. But the newer ones look REALLY weird if you ask me.
    My Soundcloud

My ReverbNation

Music & Musicians Alliance Club

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyUmbreon189 View Post
    I think lots of the "newer" Pokemon are kind of similar looking to the older ones but you still can find differences. Like the gears Pokemon. They are kind of knock offs of the Magnemite line. Also the garbage Pokemon in Unova look like knock offs of the Grimer line. Old Pokemon look weird too like Voltorb, Electrode, Magnemite, Magneton, Grimer, Muk, etc. But the newer ones look REALLY weird if you ask me.
    It's really a question of drawing the line of "Does X look weird because I'm used to seeing Y?" or "Does X just plain freak me out?" I'll go out and say most of Gen 5 does work under the former, but there are a few things out there that just stick out; Genesect is the most fanmon-looking Pokemon to date, and Melloeta (sp?) still doesn't register to me as a Pokemon.

^ Never underestimate the ability of 1 Megabyte to bring out every emotion imaginable.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsirius View Post
    Genesect is the most fanmon-looking Pokemon to date, and Melloeta (sp?) still doesn't register to me as a Pokemon.
    The question, though, always: how does one quantify and support these as evaluations?

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Idk if this registers in the thread but the amount of legendary's keeps going up in every generation. Kanto barely had any and so did Johto but then it started getting ridiculous.
    My Soundcloud

My ReverbNation

Music & Musicians Alliance Club

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyUmbreon189 View Post
    but then it started getting ridiculous.
    And. What qualifies "more" as "ridiculous"?

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast