Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #81

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    What? ParaFlinch Jirachi is one of the most annoying things I seen in OU. how could that be in the other options?
    That's exactly my point...meloetta has the stats to be able to paraflinch while jumping between forms...heck, if something like subroost kyurem works well, then i don't see how in the world that something tried and true like paraflinching could be relegated to an other options section

Quote Originally Posted by MetalCrow View Post
    That's exactly my point...meloetta has the stats to be able to paraflinch while jumping between forms...heck, if something like subroost kyurem works well, then i don't see how in the world that something tried and true like paraflinching could be relegated to an other options section
    Despite no Iron Head, it still can run a set of Thunder Wave, Relic Song, Zen Headbutt, and Close Combat for Darks. So yeah it can do that....

Despite no Iron Head, it still can run a set of Thunder Wave, Relic Song, Zen Headbutt, and Close Combat for Darks. So yeah it can do that....
    The only difference between iron head and zen headbutt is slight things...basically they're the same...the both get supereffective damage on 2 types, but one is resisted more & the other is immune by one type...and maybe accuracy too, but that can be fixed....also, my personal preference would be to run drain punch over close combat...why not benefit from the opposing dark types instead of just overkilling them?

The only difference between iron head and zen headbutt is slight things...basically they're the same...the both get supereffective damage on 2 types, but one is resisted more & the other is immune by one type...and maybe accuracy too, but that can be fixed....also, my personal preference would be to run drain punch over close combat...why not benefit from the opposing dark types instead of just overkilling them?
    Oh didn't think about that, at least she got some recovery.

It's a shame meloetta doesn't get bulk up, it would be ideal for her

Keep in mind that if you do Zen Headbutt, Thunder Wave, Drain Punch, and Relic Song, you are incredibly free to Spiritomb and Sableye. Those should go down as Hard Counters if that set is in the article. Spiritomb just Restalks and Sableye has Priority Taunt and both are immune to all 3 attacks.
    This is a signature that doesn't eat up an absurd amount of space.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmahX View Post
    Keep in mind that if you do Zen Headbutt, Thunder Wave, Drain Punch, and Relic Song, you are incredibly free to Spiritomb and Sableye. Those should go down as Hard Counters if that set is in the article. Spiritomb just Restalks and Sableye has Priority Taunt and both are immune to all 3 attacks.
    Yea, i noticed that, but meloetta can't really do much to either of them anyways... i consider them to be hard counters in general & thus something that needs to be covered by team support

Quote Originally Posted by TimmahX View Post
    Nothing like a Taunt from Whimsicott on them wouldn't hurt Guess you could do Ice Punch instead? nah.

Nothing like a Taunt from Whimsicott on them wouldn't hurt Guess you could do Ice Punch instead? nah.
    Personally, I'd give them a good Draco Meteor to the face...i don't even like using Draco Meteor, but i dislike those two dark/ghosts to the point that i would do it

Aria Form

"Mewtwo Moveset"
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    EVs: 252 SpAtk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Item: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf/Life Orb
    - Psychic
    - Focus Blast
    - Hyper Voice
    - Shadow Ball

Meloetta in Aria Forme is basically a Mewtwo with the same weaknesses as a Girafarig. Decent HP and Speed, and high Special Attack and Special Defense. The moveset is a hard hitter, with Psychic and Hyper Voice for high powered STAB moves and good coverage, while Shadow Ball takes care of Ghosts (although their ghost moves can't hurt Meloetta) and Focus Blast for Steels and Dark Types. Keep in mind that all moves (except Hyper Voice) has added effects that Serene Grace can help activate.

Other Options:
    Thunderbolt can take care of Skarmory and others who can hold up to Focus Blast
    Grass Knot and Energy Ball is an options, but those moves should be left put on your Grass types
    Psychoshock if fighting Blissey or Chansey for some reason, just to take advantage of pokemon with low defense but high special defense.
    Their is Charge Beam, but honestly a Calm Mind set would do better.
    Calm Mind substituted for a move of your choice, and take away the Scarf and/or Specs.

Pirouette Forme

"Is it worth dancing for?"
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Item: Life Orb
    - Relic Song
    - Close Combat
    - Shadow Claw/U-Turn
    - Stone Edge/Return

It's bad enough that it has to use Relic Song and waste a turn to change Forme, but the horrible part is that it can't take advantage of the Choice Items, because it has to switch up moves in order to take advantage of Physical moves. Pirouette offers the powerful physical side of Meloetta, but becomes threatened when fighting against another Pirouette Forme Meloetta or even an Aria Forme. Relic Song must be used at first to change Forme. You can also use the move again if you know you are about to take a Psychic Move, as Aria can take a Psychic just fine. Close Combat is Pirouette's most powerful STAB move and get's good coverage. Shadow Claw for Psychics and Ghosts who troll you on the switch in, and has a better chance of getting crits. with Serene Grace. But U-Turn is good if stuck in sticky situations, and for super effective hits on Psychics. Stone Edge for flying type coverage, but if you don't like the 80 accuracy, take STAB Return for good damage.

Other Options:
    Acrobatics with flying gem for fighting types, meh.
    Brick Break to break Screens, with the sacrifice of power
    Hone Claws paired with Stone Edge, but with Relic Song as well, you only have space for one more move, so not the best choice
    Black 2 White 2 move tutors will allow you to take advantage of moves like Zen Headbutt, Ice Punch and Drain Punch.

"Dance like a butterfly, sing like a bee"
    Nature: Naive/Hasty
    Evs: 252 Speed, 252 (Sp. Def. or Def.), 4 HP
    Item: Leftovers, Life Orb, etc.
    Moves:
    - Relic Song
    - Psychic
    - Close Combat
    - (Filler move)

This is just a troll moveset that I though up of. About to get hit by a Dark Move in Aria Forme? If you're fast enough, use Relic Song to go into Pirouette Forme and take the hit. In Pirouette Form and about to get hit by a Psychic-type move? Use Relic song again and take that Psychic-type move in Aria Forme like a boss! When in either Forme, take advantage of your STAB moves like Psychic in Aria or Close Combat in Pirouette. The last slot is a filler slot, optional to put a physical or special move in there like Hyper Voice or Return.
    Last edited by 2406Blackbird; 16th July 2012 at 12:37 AM. Reason: New Idea

A quick dance at what is coming up
    "Take that Sing-Song"(like ding-dong0~0)
    Same old Song and Dance(from that episode)
    Flies like a butterfly, sings like a bee
    Stay TUNED to more.

This thing looked unpredictable from the start. The move tutors in B2W2 made it even more so. In it's Psychic forme (I still haven't gotten the forme names straight), it seems like an average Psychic; high special stats and low physical stats. However, it's fighting forme seems more ideal for OU without being outclassed by Alakazam and Espeon. In it, it trades special attack and some defenses for Attack and Speed. While running a mixed set with Relic Song to change formes is hard to counter with a wall dedicated to one defense stat, Meloetta misses out on a lot of potential power, but that shouldn't discourage you from using it. It's element of surprise makes up for this.

Ability
    Serene Grace: Good, just not that good on Meloetta. Most of it's moves only have a 20 percent chance to begin with, so it only gives those moves 20 percent chances. It still is especially useful for Relic Song, who's secondary effect is to put the target to sleep.

Work Up
    Nature: Hasty
    EVs: 128 Atk / 128 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Relic Song
    - Work Up
    - Psychic
    - Close Combat

This set makes use of Meloetta's ability to change its stat in battle. RelicSong has a respectable 107.5 BP after STAB. Psychic is powerful in Psychic forme. CC is the most powerful move Meloetta has in Fighting forme. These three moves get perfect neutral coverage together, bar Spiritomb and Sableye.

Counters
    Spiritomb, though rare, sounds like the best counter to me. It is immune to Meloetta's STAB, blocks it from changing formes, and can trap it with pursuit,
    DW Pokemon I can offer:

Quote Originally Posted by 2406Blackbird View Post
    The last slot is a filler slot, optional to put a physical or special move in there like Hyper Voice or Return.
    Like the others mention, Spiritomb makes it look stupid, Thunder Punch or Ice Punch can be filled in. Oh and the last pun mention credit goes to me though dance is what I should have said.

Yah thanks for that quote. BTW yes those moves would make decent work of Spiritomb and Sambleye

ThunderPunch/Ice Punch do not give you a way of dealing with the ghost/darks mentioned. Spiritomb commonly carries WoW, and Sableye essentially always carries priority WoW. I would rather switch out to something like Heatran and kill them with a FF-boosted Fire Blast.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Yes, but it was just something I came up with quickly, Heatran does make a good partner like you said.

There's a flaw here.

SubRoost Kyurem works because it is actually good at what it does. It has great bulk + 101 subs, Pressure, Roost, immense offenses and just enough speed to Sub against walls as well as great typing in a rain dominated metagame. Nothing else can do what Kyurem does.

Paraflinch Meloetta... is bad. It may actually be worse than Dunsparce. Here is why.

Psychic / Normal typing sucks. Jirachi has amazing Steel / Psychic. Meloetta resists Psychic and is immune to Ghost. It handles Alakazam and Gengar well I guess. Meloetta is weak to Pursuit and U-turn. Jirachi has 8 resistances and 1 immunity. It's weak to fire and ground. Fire is rare due to Drizzle hell and Ground is more easily manageable.

Meloetta has just 77 base attack... Jirachi has 100. Jirachi hits about 24% harder. Zen Headbutt only has a 36% flinch rate (taking into account accuracy) while Iron Head has 60%.

Jirachi gets Wish. Meloetta gets... Protect.

I can't think of a single reason to use Paraflinch Meloetta when Jirachi and... Dunsparce exist.

Still it could be in the Other Options though you may go "Just kidding...don't do this"!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post

Paraflinch Meloetta... is bad. It may actually be worse than Dunsparce.
    Hey, running a paraflinch Dunsparce against Arceus and winning was a highlight of my friendly matches. Don't knock it until you try it.

Anyway, I've got not much to say about Meloetta, it's only in Japan at the moment.

Quick question about Meloetta - if you were to use relic song to change into pirouette form, then delete the move, would she stay in that form? that might change whether or not we actually need the move in a physical set.
    John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life

My mane pokeymanz in x
    facebook.com/geeksforjesus
    2ds friend code - 4613 7899 0504
    Looking for: purified shadow pokemon, pokemon in hg/ss exclusive pokeballs, y exclusive mega stones

Quote Originally Posted by Italianbaptist View Post
    Quick question about Meloetta - if you were to use relic song to change into pirouette form, then delete the move, would she stay in that form? that might change whether or not we actually need the move in a physical set.
    No, at the end of a battle, it reverts back to its Aria forme as well in battle where it learns a new move and replaces the move

Why don't we see every Move that Meloetta gets that Serene Grace can apply to, regardless of use in competitive play, so that we can analyze its usefulness as an Ability in each form (STAB in bold)

Special (Aria):
    -Relic Song (note this is also a mandatory Move for Pirouette)
    -Confusion
    -Psybeam
    -Psychic
    -Thunderbolt
    -Thunder
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast
    -Energy Ball
    -Charge Beam? (haven't used it much lately, so I'm not sure if it's still only a chance to buff)
    -Signal Beam

Physical (Pirouette):
    -Rock Smash
    -Fire Punch
    -Ice Punch
    -Thunderpunch
    -Zen Headbutt

Aria - 7/10
    Pirouette - 2/10, but only because Relic Song as Aria and Defense debuffs from Rock Smash boost the usefulness of Pirouette's Serene Grace by 1 point

Consider Charge Beam if you want a Calm Mind set without the Calm Mind (but only for Aria-only sets), so that you can't be Taunted into wasting a turn on Calm Mind. Rock Smash can also make Tanks and Physical Walls think twice, despite the low Power, but doesn't live up to Drain Punch or Close Combat (except in Pressure-stall situations).
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Terror Of The Tunes
    Pirouette:
    Nature: Modest (+SpAtk, -Atk)
    EV: 252SpAtk / 4 HP / 252Spd
    Relic Song
    Shadow Ball
    Thunderbolt / Thunder
    Teeter Dance

Relic Song is a handy move and it can produce sleep (probally because it's boring). Shadow Ball hurts Espeon Claydol, and it lowers SpDef for getting more damage for this special sweeeper, sort of. Thunderbolt is strong and has 100 accuracy, but Thunder is stronger but it's more reckless because of it's lower accuracy. Finally theres Teeter Dance, weird enough. This one has 100 accuracy instead of SuperSonic, having a poor 55. But make sure it more recommended in Single. Goddamit it cant learn Earthquake.
    [IMG]http://i50.*******.com/51x11h.png[/IMG]

Black FC: 5329-0103-2325

Spoiler:- Chamber of Art:

Quote Originally Posted by Flippd View Post
    Terror Of The Tunes
    Pirouette:
    Nature: Modest (+SpAtk, -Atk)
    EV: 252SpAtk / 4 HP / 252Spd
    Relic Song
    Shadow Ball
    Thunderbolt / Thunder
    Teeter Dance

Relic Song is a handy move and it can produce sleep (probally because it's boring). Shadow Ball hurts Espeon Claydol, and it lowers SpDef for getting more damage for this special sweeeper, sort of. Thunderbolt is strong and has 100 accuracy, but Thunder is stronger but it's more reckless because of it's lower accuracy. Finally theres Teeter Dance, weird enough. This one has 100 accuracy instead of SuperSonic, having a poor 55. But make sure it more recommended in Single. Goddamit it cant learn Earthquake.
    LOL, special Pirouette, no STAB!

Puns:
    A tune of options to choose
    Looney Tunes
    You will Melo-dy from my wrath!
    Last edited by Dragalge; 16th July 2012 at 6:01 PM.

I actually don't know what to say about meloetta except maybe it looks a lot like a human! It's supposed to be a pokemon pop star that sings and dances and attacks!

Although I never really used a meloetta, I can clearly say that this pokemon can be used as a special sweeper much more efficiently than physically for the simple fact that physical sets will have to work with 3 moveslots taking away some very useful coverage!

Serene grace is not something meloetta can benefit from the most but isn't completely useless! Meloetta is an intresting pokemon, it's the only pokemon that you can use that gives two pokemon in the same battle.

A set consisting of:
    -Relic song
    -Psychic
    -Close combat
    -U-turn

I never tried this set and honestly it might not work at all but running 2 special 2 physical moves is somewhat clever.
    It allows meloetta being some sort of a surprise mixed attacker. Send in aria meloetta and use psychic, when your opponent switches in to a special tank or a dark type pokemon, change meloetta's typing to fighting with relic song and hit them (Blissey, chansey or any dark type pokemon) with super effective super powerful close combat. U-turn is to run away from a fighting type counter, reverting your meloetta back to her aria form letting you perform her special sweeper role once again.

Maybe this strategy works, and maybe it doesn't... I really never tried it! But may prove to be very good for a surprise physical attack against an opponent who thinks you have a choice specs special meloetta!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast