Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #81

If Meloetta somehow manages to get a Key Item in the future that helps it change forme without the need of a move, Meloetta-P would be even better IMO

Still, Scarf Tornadoes-T is a fantastic counter to Pirouette as it can switch in safely on a Fighting STAB and wreck havoc, especially in the rain.

I missed the first day! Anyways...

This pokemon's design is one of the reasons why I laugh at anyone saying, "The Unovan pokemon aren't original!" It has beautiful eyes, note-shaped arms, and hair based off of sheet music. It's typing makes it immune to ghost moves, which is pretty nice. But it makes it a little weaker to fighting moves, so look out for pokemon like Machamp, Physical Lucario, and Conkadurr (probably spelled wrong lol).

The snore fest
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 Def, 126 Sp.Att, and 130 Speed
    Item: King's Rock or Razor Claw
    Moves:
    Calm mind
    Rest
    Snore
    Psychic/Psyshock/Shadow Ball/Psybeam

I once used a move set like this on a Togekiss and it works very well, especially if the foe has been paralyzed. If in doubles, it's a good idea to change Meloetta's ability to technician from a Smeargle to smash on extra damage.

Duet
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 130 Def, 252 Sp. Att, and 126 Speed
    Item: Metronome or left overs
    Moves:
    Round
    Calm Mind
    Psychic
    Substitute/Protect/Safeguard/Thunder Wave

This must be combined with a faster pokemon like a lopunny in order to make this work. If you want to use Trick room, have a slow pokemon like evolite munchlax help. Doing so will let Meloetta go next, no matter what, and dish out tons of damage!

My favorites happen to be mid-evolved poison types.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlKirbyZombie View Post

This pokemon's design is one of the reasons why I laugh at anyone saying, "The Unovan pokemon aren't original!" It has beautiful eyes, note-shaped arms, and hair based off of sheet music. It's typing makes it immune to ghost moves, which is pretty nice. But it makes it a little weaker to fighting moves, so look out for pokemon like Machamp, Physical Lucario, and Conkadurr (probably spelled wrong lol).

The snore fest
    Moves:
    Calm mind
    Rest
    Snore

I once used a move set like this on a Togekiss and it works very well, especially if the foe has been paralyzed. If in doubles, it's a good idea to change Meloetta's ability to technician from a Smeargle to smash on extra damage.

Duet
    Moves:
    Round
    Calm Mind
    Psychic

This must be combined with a faster pokemon like a lopunny in order to make this work. If you want to use Trick room, have a slow pokemon like evolite munchlax help. Doing so will let Meloetta go next, no matter what, and dish out tons of damage!
    IMO Too gimmicky, plus Round? Skill Swap? if wanting recovery use Drain Punch over rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    There's a flaw here.

SubRoost Kyurem works because it is actually good at what it does. It has great bulk + 101 subs, Pressure, Roost, immense offenses and just enough speed to Sub against walls as well as great typing in a rain dominated metagame. Nothing else can do what Kyurem does.

Paraflinch Meloetta... is bad. It may actually be worse than Dunsparce. Here is why.

Psychic / Normal typing sucks. Jirachi has amazing Steel / Psychic. Meloetta resists Psychic and is immune to Ghost. It handles Alakazam and Gengar well I guess. Meloetta is weak to Pursuit and U-turn. Jirachi has 8 resistances and 1 immunity. It's weak to fire and ground. Fire is rare due to Drizzle hell and Ground is more easily manageable.

Meloetta has just 77 base attack... Jirachi has 100. Jirachi hits about 24% harder. Zen Headbutt only has a 36% flinch rate (taking into account accuracy) while Iron Head has 60%.

Jirachi gets Wish. Meloetta gets... Protect.

I can't think of a single reason to use Paraflinch Meloetta when Jirachi and... Dunsparce exist.
    If you would look earlier on in the posts and actually read all of what i said, you'd understand exactly why i said what i said...but, of course you read all the stuff about using jirachi and meloetta in the same team...that is your job afterall...don't mind me, i'll just go along making mild suggestions and snide remarks that lean towards a more open-minded "what if" ideas...ya know...like what if you used a paraflinch set...jirachi's 60% flinch rate seems more like 80 or 90% in most battles, so im willing to bet that a 36% flinch rate feels more like 50+%...i like the idea of that, so i'll continue to suggest those slivers of possibility in such a thought...there's definitely possibility...also, imo 128>100

No my point wasn't running both on the same team... It was that there isn't much of a reason to ever use Paraflinch Meloetta when Jirachi exists.

No my point wasn't running both on the same team... It was that there isn't much of a reason to ever use Paraflinch Meloetta when Jirachi exists.
    Well, you completely missed my point then

Quote Originally Posted by MetalCrow View Post
    His point is running 2 annoyers in 1 team so he opponent will surely ragequit
    I think togekiss is better than meloetta in an annoyer duo cause air slash is STAB and it is more accurate (also stronger than a none stab zen headbutt) and also it doesn't need set up to work paralysis support is enough..
    His plan works in a similar manner to rayquaza and salamance core (those cores are great in my opinion) in DPP ubers zen headbutt can be used for coverage anyway although shaow claw or stone edge are mainly preferable.
    Last edited by Ilan; 17th July 2012 at 9:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    His point is running 2 annoyers in 1 team so he opponent will surely ragequit
    I think togekiss is better than meloetta in an annoyer duo cause air slash is STAB and it is more accurate (also stronger than a none stab zen headbutt) and also it doesn't need set up to work paralysis support is enough..
    His plan works in a similar manner to rayquaza and salamance core (those cores are great in my opinion) in DPP ubers zen headbutt can be used for coverage anyway although shaow claw or stone edge are mainly preferable.
    Shoot, use all of the annoyers...at the same time! Well, yea that's the best i can come up with considering im watching excel saga on what little free time i have

Counters
    Aria: mainly physical attackers. Lucario, scizor, terrakion,conkeldurr(mach punch). Priority kills it too.

Pirouette : priority, burns, paralysis.

Pirouette looks good on paper, but you get a free turn to try kill it, as it has to use relic song.

Other opptions.
    Dream eater is gimmiky as you can regain health, qnd also it gets sing and relic song for sleep causing.
    Fire punch for ferrothorn and skarmory.
    Thunderpunch for gyrados
    Ice punch for gliscor.

Quote Originally Posted by philzone View Post
    Counters
    Aria: mainly physical attackers. Lucario, scizor, terrakion,conkeldurr(mach punch). Priority kills it too.

Pirouette : priority, burns, paralysis.

Pirouette looks good on paper, but you get a free turn to try kill it, as it has to use relic song.

Other opptions.
    Dream eater is gimmiky as you can regain health, qnd also it gets sing and relic song for sleep causing.
    Fire punch for ferrothorn and skarmory.
    Thunderpunch for gyrados
    Ice punch for gliscor.
    Relic song is an attack.. it is NOT wasting a turn it is a STAB attack with 75 BP meaning it have 107 BP7 BP stronger than a neutral none STAB earthquake.
    Dream eater is NEVER an option online.
    It is good ingame cause there isn't a sleep clause and the AI never switch but apart from in-game NEVER use it.. the only ppunch viable is ice punch and it is not so much gliscor can be handeled by psychic just fine just use relic song on the switch.

The problem with a team full of annoyers is that there are 5 of those one of which is Uber but normal shaymin can work too cause it also gets air slash, the last one might be a paralize supporter like blissey that set would be good.

Anyway meloetta is worse than jirachi at haxing cause of the missing chance too bad it didn't get iron head..
    Last edited by Ilan; 17th July 2012 at 10:24 AM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.

@Philzone don't think priority is just going to finish her easily if I'm mistaken. 100/77/128 bulk is pretty good better than Reuniclus IIRC. Revenge killing is probably better as it is no Rampardos who dies to those moves.
    Last edited by Dragalge; 17th July 2012 at 3:22 PM. Reason: error silly me#D

Relic Song
    Psychic
    Focus Blast
    Energy Ball
    I never use legendaries, I only use the Pokemon I've loved since my GSC beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalCrow View Post
    Your point seemed to be that Paraflinch Meloetta is in some way usable, when in fact it is actually complete trash.

Quote Originally Posted by jackjturner3 View Post
    Relic Song
    Psychic
    Focus Blast
    Energy Ball
    bad choice of normal STAB as you will then turn it into pirouette forme, where it is less stronger use hyper voice if you want a normal STAB move.

Quote Originally Posted by jackjturner3 View Post
    Relic Song
    Psychic
    Focus Blast
    Energy Ball
    What are those moves for showing her special move pool without other information I can't even call it a set.

Your point seemed to be that Paraflinch Meloetta is in some way usable, when in fact it is actually complete trash.
    Still better than dunsparce but I get your point. if she was gen 4 then she would learn headbutt in HGSS :/
    Last edited by Ilan; 17th July 2012 at 4:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlKirbyZombie View Post

The snore fest
    Moves:
    Calm mind
    Rest
    Snore

Duet
    Moves:
    Round
    Calm Mind
    Psychic

Hmm, I had the idea to use Snore as well, but, perversely, I prefer Meloetta to go Pirouette in doing so. Why? Well, the speed is naturally good for a flincher who doesn't fear the paralysis status, and the type change meanwhile will better defend Meloetta against two annoying attacks, U-turn and Pursuit, effectively turning a weakness to each into a resistance to each.

On that note, the POTW review should make sure to note that the weaknesses of each of Meloetta's forms are exclusive to that form, and that Meloetta can effectively drop any of its weaknesses at any time, making finding a perfect counter who can exploit Meloetta's typing for weaknesses impossible.

So, anyway, my gimmicky core is composed of Rest, Snore, and Relic Song. What should the third move be used for? With Thunder and its paralysis chance, Meloetta could flinch pokemon in either form (its Aria form most notably) more effectively. (Thunder of course has shaky unboosted accuracy, but people here have gone on about Hurricane Tornadus.) With Zen Headbutt, Meloetta can flinch its opponents while it is awake. (Zen Headbutt will always be lacking either Meloetta's STAB or its full attack power though.) With Close Combat and Drain Punch, Meloetta gets Fighting STAB. (I shudder at the first as this Meloetta is kinda sorta like a ResTalker, although it really is nothing of the kind or sort.) Stone Edge, I've decided, has decent neutral coverage against a modest array of threats. Dual Chop also would provide for like modest coverage. U-turn lets Meloetta sing, sting, and then flee the ring.

Why use this Meloetta? Well, despite its many-minded muddled makeup, or rather, because of its many-minded muddled makeup, the set gets great recovery and free attacking chances. Each Snore that causes a flinch is free damage and makes your use of Rest more free of penalty as well.

This Meloetta's item could either be Leftovers or King's Rock, the latter being allowed as far as I know. (That was a declarative question!?) The first boosts recovery directly and is especially helped by the hoped-for flinch, and the latter gives hoped-for flinches. (Would this item also make Dual Chop an especially keen attack choice? You tell me, that was an inquisitive question?.)

~

Oh, on a different note, if you have a White Kyurem that knows Fusion Flare, does it lose the move when you revert it to normal form? Otherwise, there's no reason aside from Hidden Power's PP for you to not run Fusion Flare over HP Fire. Well then, never mind.
    Last edited by League; 17th July 2012 at 4:55 PM.

Isn't Meloetta Limbo?

Credit to iPokemon^

Quote Originally Posted by tomjames1966 View Post
    Isn't Meloetta Limbo?
    No, it is legal and it is OU as well as its forme.

Has it been released?

Credit to iPokemon^

Yes, when the movie came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    No, it is legal and it is OU as well as its forme.
    I would have thought the pirouette forme would be uber, but i think they lowered it because how fussy it is to get to pirouette forme.

Sure Meloetta-P isn't the best to use, could be worse. Darmanitan-Z?

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    Sure Meloetta-P isn't the best to use, could be worse. Darmanitan-Z?
    Seriously? bad? it isn't bad at all... as long as you run mixed and don't rely too much on the transformation (put shadow ball or psychic).

and it is re leased not sure about OU but released pokemon start in OU then change tier just like the kami trio

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    Seriously? bad? it isn't bad at all... as long as you run mixed and don't rely too much on the transformation (put shadow ball or psychic).

and it is re leased not sure about OU but released pokemon start in OU then change tier just like the kami trio
    Not saying it is bad, unless the 2 you mentioned. Any predictions if it is going to stay or drop.

I predict low OU or high UU it is a versible pokemon so it can run lots of sets only if meloetta got wish..

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast