Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you use your favourites?

For me, it really depends. I don't go out of my way to use my favorites in every team that I make because naturally every pokemon doesn't fit well into every type of team. However, whenever I do use my favorites, I use them in OU regardless the tier. As for what these pokemon are, I'd say a decent list is... Breloom, Ampharos, Froslass, Piloswine, Gastrodon, and some others as well. Some of those pokemon are OU anyways, so when they go on an OU team it's not really any different, but with like Amphy and Froslass, they usually catch people off guard since they're like... NU and UU. With Piloswine I gave in and just use Mamoswine on my teams (I think it looks kinda weird, but wev) HOWEVER when I use a swinub in the games I just don't evolve it past Piloswine xD

But yeah, I dunno. Ampharos is pretty versatile. The only sucky part is that Raikou has his exact stats but a little better. HOWEVER I still use Amphy anyways. He can fill all sorts of roles. In the past I've used him as a bulky revenge killer of sorts (Either Leftovers or air balloon, lots of def evs, Thunderbolt, T Wave, HP Ice (those dragons never suspect it), and volt switch. Also, his agility set with more offensive EVs and Nature is good too (I use pretty much the same set). And most recently, I've used him as a Dual Screener for an HO Team xD I'm pretty sure Raikout can't do that ;P

As for Froslass, I only use one set for her. Spikes, Taunt, Ice Beam, and Destiny Bond. That one's really fun to use That way you can either use her as a lead or a back up lead, lay out some hazards (Or decimate a grass or dragon type), disrupt set up pokes, and then try and take someone with you on the way out. it's good fun.
    "Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites." -Karen

Spoiler:- CG Stuff:

Quote Originally Posted by VideoGamer17 View Post
    Sorry about that.
    Nothing to be sorry about, just making sure you don't get chewed up.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Yup, I definitely do. I can also use Pokémon I'm not that big a fan of from time to time if they fit the team or whatever theme I have going on, but I'll never use Pokémon I just plain dislike (hence the Kami trio is out of the picture for me as are Politoed, Ferrothorn and so on). Right now I'm running a monotype flying team in OU, which pretty much consists solely of my favorite flying types. It's kicked major ass even though most of my matches have been against non-monotype teams. I love it.

For the very same reason, whenever I decide to try my hand at Ubers, I'm gonna carry a Ho-Oh. I don't care if Stealth Rock murders it. I just have to make sure the opponent doesn't get the chance to set it up/I have something to get rid of it if it is set up. Also totally going to have a Murkrow in Little Cup if I ever go and try that again.
    TumblrdeviantArt

"I am not a bad man
    Even though I do bad things
    Very bad things
    Such horrible things"

Current rps
    | TSoAM | CotVK|

My first teams always contains my favourites, then after some development, some will remain, some won't.
    Take my main team, for example. Togekiss and Roserade have been there since the start and it's still hanging around in my main team up until today.
    Although recently I have been considering that maybe I'll replace them with something else soon...
    "I want you to make me a stepping stone so everyone can shine…!"

Ice Friend Safari - Snover / Bergmite / Cloyster
    Current and temporary Friend Safari is Grass - Tangela / Swadloon / Maractus

I really tend to use Pokemon that I like, or that I find very interesting. For example, I laddered all the way to 1386 points, using a team that I built off a cool Lapras set that I have.
    Check out my newly-opened Trade Shop!!!
    ------------
    I have claimed Volcarona!
    ----------------
    FC: 3411 0844 2159

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Fury View Post
    I really tend to use Pokemon that I like, or that I find very interesting. For example, I laddered all the way to 1386 points, using a team that I built off a cool Lapras set that I have.
    Use a hail team? Mind sharing the set?

I use my favorites to deadly effect in uu, but never OU; I feel like the threats of OU cannot be ignored when team building and playing to lose is pointless.
    Beyond Names: everything has a counter.
    Beyond Names: its called hax.
    Tuan Sixtus: Color is a stupid gimmick that only amateur film makers use.
    Villain of Time: Even though he is a bot, he is better than the rest of you, because he believes that he is alive.
    Villain of Time: Please note that in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Collector's Edition I actually do have red blood.

Well when it's on random matchup on Wi-Fi I do like to use some of my favorite poke for fun, but then again I always make sure that the rest of my team can cover their weaknesses and that they have good movesets otherwise it would just be an easy win for the opponent
    Trinity League Badges

3DS FC: 1075-1699-3820
    Ign: GC7

Always. Even if my favorites aren't all that good, I'll still use them. In fact, most of my favorites are RU or NU.

All the time. Most of my favorites like dragonite got huge boosts this gen, and I also use uu pokemon like swampert, raikou, and nidoking because they are beasts with proper team support. Also, its way more satisfying to win using a team of pokemon you love than using one with severely overplayed pokemon. Id say the only problem for using favorites (for me at least) is that there is no possible way for me to narrow my favorites down to 6.

It makes me quite sad that there isn't much variety in competitive battling. I hope there will be a Pokemon game out there some day that sort of balances it out, giving non-evolved and under-used Pokemon a chance.
    I always use favourites. Hahaha~ I have one 3 out of the 7 battles on Wi-fi (mainly because I become sweeped from legendaries, but also because that was before I got into competitive battling).
    It's also unfair that all three matches where I won on RM, the other guys disconnected. The urge to just win and not have a fair game online really gets me down. I haven't battled online for a while now. :"3

The day I can use a Duskull in a competitive team is the day that life will be better.

I use my favorites, no matter the tier (except Uber, I just box them).

I always use my favorites, not using my favorites takes the fun out of the game for me. I'm not going to throw out a Kecleon against a Kyogre, but I do choose Pokemon based off personal preference rather than sheer brute force. Hehe.

Kalos Team: Delphox, Florges, Aegislash, Heliolisk, Hawlucha, Avalugg
    Latest Shiny: Helioptile

Fire Safari: Ponyta, Pyroar, Braixen - 1478-3803-9332
    I have claimed #671, Florges

*credit to Equal-To-Heaven for the clock

I enjoy using my favorites, even if they're low-tier'd and under appreciated. Some pokemon like Cradily (NU) and Accelgor (RU) I value most.
    Ardent user of anything Rock, Steel, Ground, or Fire
    3DS FC: 4296-3229-5439
    Credit to Mochi10 for the userbar/Sworn Metalhead for the awesome banner

Quote Originally Posted by Foxeaf View Post
    It makes me quite sad that there isn't much variety in competitive battling. I hope there will be a Pokemon game out there some day that sort of balances it out, giving non-evolved and under-used Pokemon a chance.
    But that's what the different tiers are for :P

As for me, I don't usually use my favourites. Well, not to a massive extent since my real favourites are all useless in OU and that's the only tier I can really do to be honest. However in OU I do often use pokemon I like more and don't use Pokemon I dislike. For example, I wouldn't use Jellicent because it reallt annoys me for some reason :P

I have thought of starting NU since that's where most of my true favourites are actually useful but I don't think I can cope with two tiers -.-

Generally yes, and I accept the liability in doing so. I do have a lot of favorites that generally aren't liabilities or at least can be put into an environment where they can hurt things fairly easily; Venusaur, Fearow, Slowbro, Rapidash, Sceptile, Floatzel, things like that. Pelliper is probably the one I've given up on.

That and I once OHKO'd an Evolite Chansey with a Fearow's sniper critical drill run. That justified the old bird a lot for me.

^ Never underestimate the ability of 1 Megabyte to bring out every emotion imaginable.

I'm not seeing how that's possible. Even an Adamant CB Sniper crit Drill Run doesn't even hit 75% on 252/252+ Eviolite Chansey. The only way that's possible is if the opponent was running 4/252 or something, which is kinda dumb when, unlike Blissey, you can run 252/252+/4 on Chansey and be about as physically defensive as Swampert while still taking special attacks incredibly well.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    I'm not seeing how that's possible. Even an Adamant CB Sniper crit Drill Run doesn't even hit 75% on 252/252+ Eviolite Chansey. The only way that's possible is if the opponent was running 4/252 or something, which is kinda dumb when, unlike Blissey, you can run 252/252+/4 on Chansey and be about as physically defensive as Swampert while still taking special attacks incredibly well.
    Maybe's he's referring to the fact that Sniper x3 hax critical damage? I dunno.

I use favorites if possible. Eg. Lanturn on every UU/RU team.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

I factored that in. Without Sniper, an Adamant CB crit Drill Run doesn't even 2HKO.

I think I heard this line in the game when someone said, "If you win, it's due to your pokemon and if you lose its due to trainers inexperience". I don't really remember where, but I definitely heard this line which applies here.
    There is no perfect team, we all know that. The game was built that way and will be that way. One team may be more successful than other, but it definitely isn't ultimate. The quest of trainers is to improve themselves facing up these challenges but sadly that's not how things are going now.

Back to the thread; I use pokemon which appeal to me and I have had a decent success in competitive battling. I say, use your fav's because battling with them definitely gives you satisfaction even if you lose.
    When I first played Platinum, I used piplup as a starter, after finishing the game I heard that chimchar was the most difficult starter to use so I thought of giving him a try. He had evolved even before his first gym match and decimated the 2nd gym. But, I didn't really enjoy it much (I didn't like chimchar back then)
    From then on, I have used pokemon that are my fav.

But I also try out some pokemon other than my fav's and I have come to like most of the pokemon I raised. Mienshao and Hydreigon are basis of my team and with the support of my star pokemon gardevoir, I beat subway boss with my own skill and without any strategy.
    Bottom line, a pokemon's weakness can be covered by trainer skills. If you fear SR, then just come up with a strategy to counter it. It's not hard at all. What's important is that you have fun in battling and not winning
    Name : ARORA
    Platinum FC : 0046-6930-6856

White FC : 4212-9202-4714

White 2 FC : 4084-3539-9316

Um, excuse my noobness, but how are people doing all these calculations? I thought you would have to have programed the game to know that :P

I agree with the guy above: I find I use Pokemon I've used in game more than ones that I haven't, if they're both as good competitively.

with a damage calculator, like the one in my sig.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Again, this is discussion is pretty much "what tier are your favourites in?"

i guess. the title shoulld be changed to something like "do you use your non-ou favs in ou?"
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    I factored that in. Without Sniper, an Adamant CB crit Drill Run doesn't even 2HKO.
    Hmm... maybe it wasn't quite full health, more 80%ish. Was so long ago I don't remember.

^ Never underestimate the ability of 1 Megabyte to bring out every emotion imaginable.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast