Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you use your favourites?

Endlessly. It's the whole reason I still play. Of course, I also can't help but acknowledge the tiers, so some of my favorites make way for the "better" ones.

Since I'm attracted to Power, I find myself getting drawn more and more to pseudo-legendaries like Heatran and Landorus in recent team builds over my older favorites like Dragonite and Charizard.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBudgetGamer View Post
    Endlessly. It's the whole reason I still play. Of course, I also can't help but acknowledge the tiers, so some of my favorites make way for the "better" ones.

Since I'm attracted to Power, I find myself getting drawn more and more to pseudo-legendaries like Heatran and Landorus in recent team builds over my older favorites like Dragonite and Charizard.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I mean, there is no way a pidgeot can defeat a Lugia. The difference in strength is obvious.

But still, I think OU type is losing it's charm. I can't remember not finding a weather team while playing on PS. I got sick of seeing politoed and Tyranitar. I know they want to win, but can't they show some creativity? Is winning all there is to it? A fight b/w weather teams is fun, but a weather team v/s normal team is really unfair.

I think its best to think strategies with your fav pokemon. I am using a Gardevoir in place of Blissy/Chansey in my OU team and she makes Thundrus-T pray to hax god for a hax. Also Granbull people; firing an intimidate, can take a outrage from salamance and kill it with ice punch. These 2 pokemon are in NU but can still hold good in checking OU threats if you use them properly. In b/w, this team had more wins than loses
    Name : ARORA
    Platinum FC : 0046-6930-6856

White FC : 4212-9202-4714

White 2 FC : 4084-3539-9316

Name : Psyora
    Alpha Sapphire FC : 0748-4318-5463

yeah of course.why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Adipvpster View Post
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I mean, there is no way a pidgeot can defeat a Lugia. The difference in strength is obvious.

But still, I think OU type is losing it's charm. I can't remember not finding a weather team while playing on PS. I got sick of seeing politoed and Tyranitar. I know they want to win, but can't they show some creativity? Is winning all there is to it? A fight b/w weather teams is fun, but a weather team v/s normal team is really unfair.

I think its best to think strategies with your fav pokemon. I am using a Gardevoir in place of Blissy/Chansey in my OU team and she makes Thundrus-T pray to hax god for a hax. Also Granbull people; firing an intimidate, can take a outrage from salamance and kill it with ice punch. These 2 pokemon are in NU but can still hold good in checking OU threats if you use them properly. In b/w, this team had more wins than loses
    How true. I did read this up on Smogon but Shuckle and Chansey make a mean combination in a double battle.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

I always use my favorites when battling. I compose parties based solely on the pokemon I like and find a way to make them win. I know people are obsessed with tiers and the like, but not me. A lot of my favorites are considered RU and NU, but I don't mind. I'll put them against an "OU" team anyday, and I'll be darned if we don't win. It's all about maxing out whichever pokemon you like and using them effectively.

I love to play with my favorites. But I have to admit, now I am trying to build a Team based on Sandstorm and a few of them aren't really favorites, but I do like them. A few favorites are in it though, like Scizor, my all-time favorite Pokemon. I also try to avoid stereo type move-sets. I like thinking of strategies myself and try to make them work. I don't like to use 'standard' strategies posted all over the internet, reccomending pokemon and movesets just because they happen to be OverPowered combinations. No, I want to do it all by myself, since I kinda believe that that's whats Pokemon all about. So I don't mind fighting 100 different trainers all using Millotic, I will keep DoubleTeam-ing with my Scizor :-)
    ...Bore me with you're legendary team; compliment me with your disconnect...

I play pokemon i like doesn't matter if it's OU, UU or NU.

Right now i'm breeding Drifloons for my calm mind Driftblim (one of my favorites from gen 4).

Thanks to My sister for this godlike Banner!

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Grey View Post
    I love to play with my favorites. But I have to admit, now I am trying to build a Team based on Sandstorm and a few of them aren't really favorites, but I do like them. A few favorites are in it though, like Scizor, my all-time favorite Pokemon. I also try to avoid stereo type move-sets. I like thinking of strategies myself and try to make them work. I don't like to use 'standard' strategies posted all over the internet, reccomending pokemon and movesets just because they happen to be OverPowered combinations. No, I want to do it all by myself, since I kinda believe that that's whats Pokemon all about. So I don't mind fighting 100 different trainers all using Millotic, I will keep DoubleTeam-ing with my Scizor :-)

did you say double team?

you must be playing in-game.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Honestly, if you refuse to use OU pokemon or standard sets just because a lot of other people do, I'm not sure if you should really be playing pokemon too competitively.

I use my favorites a lot of the time, but they're always in teams that support them well, regardless if the other sets are standard or if I like the pokemon. I mean, I hate Jellicent, and I'm not actually all that found of Latias, but I use them in the same team as my Zoroark, just because they make a good combo with every other pokemon in the group. In fact, the whole concept of the team was for Zoroark to catch steel types like Skarmory by surprise Latias can rack up some calm mind boost and sweep later. If I used Zoroark for a reason other then it's ability to help Latias get rid of steel types, I'd just be using a wannabe Hydreigon.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJo View Post
    I play pokemon i like doesn't matter if it's OU, UU or NU.

Right now i'm breeding Drifloons for my calm mind Driftblim (one of my favorites from gen 4).
    Hm...I'm not sure, Calm Mind drifblim doesn't have much of a niche, I don't think....why not Sky Gem acrobatics with unburden? It could easily run an adamant nature and still outrun a good majority of the metagame after using Acrobatics once, but I'd suggest waiting to use that set until later in the game when your enemy pokemon are weakened a bit.

I do also. I love the challenge of breeding that perfect favorite of mine and fine tuning its EVs, moves and items to be able to compete with the higher tiers. I may not win them all but its fun to try and win with less powerful pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Honestly, if you refuse to use OU pokemon or standard sets just because a lot of other people do, I'm not sure if you should really be playing pokemon too competitively.

I use my favorites a lot of the time, but they're always in teams that support them well, regardless if the other sets are standard or if I like the pokemon. I mean, I hate Jellicent, and I'm not actually all that found of Latias, but I use them in the same team as my Zoroark, just because they make a good combo with every other pokemon in the group. In fact, the whole concept of the team was for Zoroark to catch steel types like Skarmory by surprise Latias can rack up some calm mind boost and sweep later. If I used Zoroark for a reason other then it's ability to help Latias get rid of steel types, I'd just be using a wannabe Hydreigon.Hm...I'm not sure, Calm Mind drifblim doesn't have much of a niche, I don't think....why not Sky Gem acrobatics with unburden? It could easily run an adamant nature and still outrun a good majority of the metagame after using Acrobatics once, but I'd suggest waiting to use that set until later in the game when your enemy pokemon are weakened a bit.
    I'm going to agree with thus but my supports are ru or uu

|||||||
    Yellow Lv 36 | Saph Lv 35 | Garnet Lv 35 | Eevee Lv 34 | TDK Lv 38 | APorygonZ Lv 33
    Credit to Blues

Well, I doubt it'd ever run for me considering how the pokemon I like the most are electric types (plus a few water types). I can't think of a way to pop jolteon, zapdos, lapras, lanturn, luxray and empoleon all in one team without getting crushed by a single fast enough pokemon with earthquake :| And that's why there's a great need to not use all my faves and incorporate types I didn't quite like in the past (Like steel, rock and grass types, for some strange reason. At least they've started growing on me) D: I used to, though, when playing tier-less battles as a kid. THings were happy and ineffective and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Adipvpster View Post
    Yes, winning really is all there is to it. Competitive pokemon has evolved in such a way that the most successful pokemon to use in teams together are in OU, while the less successful ones fight to the death in the lower tiers. Weather is just the most successful strategy; don't like, then go down to UU or RU, two completely different experiences from OU.

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

Theres really no room to use your favorites unless most of them are in Smogon's S tier or A tier for OU.

^ smogon have no A or S tiers in OU.. Actually all of OU is kind of S tier
    I have favorites but I use them if they fit on my teams or in joke teams actually 2 of my favorites are OU (mamoswine and haxorus) so I get the chance to use them a lot I still dislike scizor and politoed but it never stopped me from using them I use golurk in OU despite it being a little weak but actually he work the best on the team I built so I don't complain.

For me people who build teams only with their favorites or use their favorites only cause they are should quit competitive play and go for casual play they shouldn't expect to win..

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    ^ smogon have no A or S tiers in OU.. Actually all of OU is kind of S tier
    http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3473637

Explain that

Quote Originally Posted by Affinity1993 View Post
    Scizor tier B WHAT? politoed tier S? this list is awkward I wouldn't rely on it too much terrakion have his flaws so is genesect metagross is really viable in OU.. this list isn't too accurate most OU pokemons have a niche to themselves so you can use them well as long as the synergy and strategy works right..

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

This is a wierd list, some of it seems well said, but i think its a work in progress. Like Ilan said scizor should not be tier B(imo should move up to A, Poli is fine where he is though). Ferrothorn is B which is kinda ridiculous, it is arguably the best hazard setter in the game. Espeon should move up to B, Jellicent might be able to break into A, Kyurem should move down to C and Hippowdon over Tyranitar is debatable. All in all tier list does not seem finished yet, and its probably the best idea to argue about it in that thread instead of here

@topic i use my favorites plenty of times, the more competitive favorites of mine i use in normal OU battles like Hitmontop or Scizor, and weaker favorites I use in fun battles, like Weezing or Hariyama
    l0l

Scizor tier B WHAT? politoed tier S? this list is awkward I wouldn't rely on it too much terrakion have his flaws so is genesect metagross is really viable in OU.. this list isn't too accurate most OU pokemons have a niche to themselves so you can use them well as long as the synergy and strategy works right..

I'll agree with you on Scizor. He should be A tier. Poltoed is good and so is terrakion, but I think terrakion should be A. Genesect is broken as fuk and Smogon is actaully thinking about banning it. Metagross...I don't know much about him.

Quote Originally Posted by PG-13 View Post
    This is a wierd list, some of it seems well said, but i think its a work in progress. Like Ilan said scizor should not be tier B(imo should move up to A, Poli is fine where he is though). Ferrothorn is B which is kinda ridiculous, it is arguably the best hazard setter in the game. Espeon should move up to B, Jellicent might be able to break into A, Kyurem should move down to C and Hippowdon over Tyranitar is debatable. All in all tier list does not seem finished yet, and its probably the best idea to argue about it in that thread instead of here
    Yeah, I agree with the list for the most part, but also agree with wht you're saying. This list definitely isn't perfect IMO but it's somewhere in the ballpark.

Worst list ever
    ^This i have beat teams that were "Rank A" with just "Rank C" pokemon
    I'll agree with you on Scizor. He should be A tier. Poltoed is good and so is terrakion, but I think terrakion should be A. Genesect is broken as fuk and Smogon is actaully thinking about banning it. Metagross...I don't know much about him.
    Care to produce another link
    Yeah, I agree with the list for the most part, but also agree with wht you're saying. This list definitely isn't perfect IMO but it's somewhere in the ballpark.
    learn 2 edit

But to add more to the topic favorites are always used i love using RU and UU pokemon in ou such as my manual rain duo of crobat and kingdra its just knowing how to utilize the pokemon in the common days metagame that list is one of the worst pieces of garbage i have ever seen yes tiers do exist however that doesn't make a pokemon worthless such as metagross is a class d -_- Metagross is perfect for todays metagame especially agiligross word to the wise dont ever trust that list

|||||||
    Yellow Lv 36 | Saph Lv 35 | Garnet Lv 35 | Eevee Lv 34 | TDK Lv 38 | APorygonZ Lv 33
    Credit to Blues

Of course.

There is no point in winning with "whatever Pokémon makes me win".

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post
    Of course.

There is no point in winning with "whatever Pokémon makes me win".
    Well, you can't exactly win with Pokemon that don't make you win.

I always use my favorites. But sometimes I'll make team up using some Pokémon I don't care for. I always switch back to my favorites after a few battles though.
    Whether I win or lose, I always have more fun using the Pokémon I like.

| my anime list | anime reviews blog | photobucket | soundcloud |
    | ask me anything...no really! | level my sylveon! |
    | latest anime review: .hack//Sign |
    | currently watching: .hack//Tasogare no Udewa Densetsu // 07-Ghost // 11eyes // 2x2=Shinobuden // Inuyasha |

Actually it's funny. My favorite Pokemon is Infernape. I challenge myself to make a bunch of teams without using it. So I try to avoid favorites a lot of the time.

This reminds of that recently closed RMT. I just noticed this thread after that thing was closed with the big favorite vs usefulness controversy.

252 +6 Atk Choice Band Pure Power Victini (+Atk)Critical V-create vs 0 HP/0 -6 Def Dry Skin Paras (-Def) : 103470436.36% - 121729963.64% (Guaranteed OHKO)

You Don't Say? I had no idea that a Choice Band Adamant Victini with maximum attack EVs and IVs that was baton passed +6 in attack and Skill Swapped Pure Power OHKO's Hasty Dry Skin Lvl 1 Paras with no defense EVs or IVs and -6 in defense under sun with a critical hit V-Create.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast