Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: The Doctor Who Club v.4

marioguy: Hi. I seem to remember you were a member in the old version of the club. I'm afraid the club's been restarted, so you'll have to rejoin; you may reuse the same joining form as before, or otherwise rewrite it from scratch.

---

kjt - yes, I cried too! In fact, I started crying at an earlier point than you said you did, so... I win? xD I dunno.

But oh wow. That was beautiful. Steven Moffat is such an amazing storyteller.

Spoiler:- The Angels Take Manhattan:

Aaaah. I made myself cry again in the process of writing that ramble. This episode - heck, Amy and Rory's whole story - has tugged at my heartstrings so much. :3

The Eleventh -
        Spoiler:- The book:

So, um. Roll on Christmas! It's going to be adorable.

-elyvorg/Amelia

...The Eleventh isn't the only one whose character title just made them pause. D:
    Last edited by elyvorg; 1st October 2012 at 10:45 PM.
    .: Evolution is a battle .:. Something has to lose :.
    LOST EVOLUTION
    Chapter 33: Inside has been posted.

Foregone Conclusion
    Spinoff/prequel/backstory/thingy to Lost Evolution, written for NaNoWriMo 2010

Three Heads Are Better Than One

Quote Originally Posted by elyvorg View Post
    marioguy: Hi. I seem to remember you were a member in the old version of the club. I'm afraid the club's been restarted, so you'll have to rejoin; you may reuse the same joining form as before, or otherwise rewrite it from scratch.
    Why do you like Doctor Who?
    I've always been fascinated by time travel. When I first saw Blink, I knew that this show would become one of my favorites.
    Who's your favourite Doctor?
    It was almost a tie between 10 and 11, but then all the idiocy of Dinosaurs on a Spaceship happened, so 10 is my favorite.
    Desired character title? (Optional)
    Looks like I'm already on the list.

Please read my thoughts on the mid-season finale. I pointed out numerous plot holes. Such as:     Spoiler:
    I also discuss how I predicted the episode woudl end (basically the same but with something additional) and what I would have done if I was the Doctor in that episode.
    Last edited by Sadib; 2nd October 2012 at 10:05 PM.
    Jackpot!

I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

The Eleventh -
        Spoiler:- Reply:

-The Eleventh/Rory Williams

Marioguy, you’re basically advertising GameFaqs, copy and paste if you want us here to read it that bad.

Spoiler:- The Angles take Manhattan, and there’s a book!:
    Problematic Paranormal Files

The Gravity Falls Fanclub | My Twitter: @CleverKraken

Today's Fact: Mantis Shrimp have 16 different color receptors (cones), while humans have 3.

Spoiler:- Angels:

Cheers,
    Toshiko Sato
    Last edited by Thecatteam; 1st October 2012 at 8:04 PM.

Pokemon White friend code: 0648 2224 4895
    Pokemon White 2 friend code: 1550 3078 1849

"One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties.
    Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
    Goodbye Susan. Goodbye my dear."
    -The First Doctor

The plots are really interesting and clever, and sometimes funny! I really enjoy watching it and some of the ideas are really unique and interesting!

Who’s your favourite Doctor?
    I don't know, I just became a fan of it.

Desired character title?
    I don't know.

Spoiler:- Angels Episode:

Sorry if it's not much.

"If someone tells me it's wrong to hope, I will tell them they're wrong every time. I could tell them that countless times" -Madoka Kaname

Because it's such a vast show that goes across the whole of time and space, leaving someone who likes sci-fi things (like me) in awe at what they can come up with. That's just a basic idea of why I like the show's premises, to say the least, the episodes are...amazing.

Matt Smith... it was Tennant until the latest episode came out, Moffat has effectively wrote him better and I think whereas Tennant is BRILLIANT...Smith seems to bring more....emotion into it, maybe this is because the first time seeing all of the episodes with Smith have been during my teenage years but Tennant, I first saw him in 2006 when I was 9

Desired character title?
    Weeping Angel. I love these things, they're genuinely scary...so don't blink.

Spoiler:- LATEST EPISODE:

Amor
    Cтрасть
    信念
    Ręves

LokiTheGengar: Gaaah! I am so sorry I forgot you in my previous post! You're in, welcome. Also I totally agree with you that the Doctor is definitely one of the best reasons to like the show. =D

marioguy: First off, the spoiler tags in your most recent post don't work, leaving some pretty big spoilers exposed. Please edit that to fix it as soon as you see this. (If you're not sure why they didn't work, look at the club's first post for how to use the different tags.) Aside from that, I'm afraid I can't let you join just yet, as the joining form does ask for more substance than that. You're clearly capable of a fleshed-out opinion, so it shouldn't be hard to show you care about joining this club by doing that in your joining post.

Dawn and Piplup: Sorry, I'm afraid that isn't enough to get in yet. Feel free to try again, though. If you can't think of anything more specific to say about the show in general, try thinking of specific episodes you really liked and explain why, or characters you liked and why.

fango pango: Eh, I think that's just about enough, so welcome. I get what you mean about possibly appreciating an earlier Doctor less because you were younger at the time - I was twelve when the Ninth Doctor was around, and I really don't think I was able to appreciate him as much as I should have done because I was that relatively young.

Quote Originally Posted by The Eleventh View Post
        Spoiler:- Reply:

Spoiler:- Timey-wimey Manhattan:

Yay for storytelling! :3

-elyvorg/Amelia
    LOST EVOLUTION

Foregone Conclusion

Quote Originally Posted by VampirateMace View Post
    Marioguy, you’re basically advertising GameFaqs, copy and paste if you want us here to read it that bad.
    It's actually multiple posts. That's why I didn't want to copy and paste it.

marioguy: First off, the spoiler tags in your most recent post don't work, leaving some pretty big spoilers exposed. Please edit that to fix it as soon as you see this. (If you're not sure why they didn't work, look at the club's first post for how to use the different tags.) Aside from that, I'm afraid I can't let you join just yet, as the joining form does ask for more substance than that. You're clearly capable of a fleshed-out opinion, so it shouldn't be hard to show you care about joining this club by doing that in your joining post.
    What do you mean by more substance?
    Jackpot!

I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

Spoiler:- Timey-wimey Manhattan:

Spoiler:- but...:

Today's Fact: Mantis Shrimp have 16 different color receptors (cones), while humans have 3.

The Angel's Kiss: A Melody Malone Mystery was released today. I've just bought it, and have read the first chapter. It's quite short (I'm already nearly 20% finished, after only five minutes of reading), and doesn't seem to be the same book Amy reads in TATM. Nevertheless, it's very entertaining. I'm very much enjoying reading a book from River's perspective. It's incredibly flirtatious, and is certainly not a children's book. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's for adults, but it's definitely more suitable for a slightly older audience (River talks repeatedly about bits pointing the right way and about making sure that certain things are buttoned and that others are unbuttoned. :P)

I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes. I hope we do get the chance to read Melody Malone, and it may be likely, due to this being the first in a series. I'd definitely recommend the book, since it makes clear why River's in New York and interested in Angels (well, not really "why" she is, but it does flesh out her life in New York, so that her appearance in TATM doesn't seem so arbitrary). Besides, it only cost me €2.49, which is approximately Ł2.

Oh, I thought it was going to have a main storyline (the whole movie thing from the synopsis) and a minor storyline (what we saw in the episode). I wonder if this means that the book we saw in the episode will a sequel to this one?

I don't wanna dwell on TATM (because major sad) but I feel proud to say that I've just watched The Runaway Bride, which means I've now seen every episode of New Who to date! I'm considering buying series 1-6 on DVD . . . and Torchwood and SJA . . . I mean I haven't seen series 1-3 of TW or watched a whole season of SJA (I've seen the occasional episode) but I want to see them. It would cost me what, $300-ish, but I've been saving for something for ages, so I could definitely afford it. I'm also thinking though of just renting TW and SJA so I can watch all of it, and then I'd buy the box set if I felt it was something I could re watch a lot. I definitely think buying DW on DVD is a great investment though: it's one of those shows that I never get tired of watch. Plus one of those shows that's great for marathons (you can fit a series into twelve hours!). Can I have an opinion on buying the DW and (possibly) the TW and SJA boxsets?
    ┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐

Quote Originally Posted by kjt View Post
    I don't wanna dwell on TATM (because major sad) but I feel proud to say that I've just watched The Runaway Bride, which means I've now seen every episode of New Who to date! I'm considering buying series 1-6 on DVD . . . and Torchwood and SJA . . . I mean I haven't seen series 1-3 of TW or watched a whole season of SJA (I've seen the occasional episode) but I want to see them. It would cost me what, $300-ish, but I've been saving for something for ages, so I could definitely afford it. I'm also thinking though of just renting TW and SJA so I can watch all of it, and then I'd buy the box set if I felt it was something I could re watch a lot. I definitely think buying DW on DVD is a great investment though: it's one of those shows that I never get tired of watch. Plus one of those shows that's great for marathons (you can fit a series into twelve hours!). Can I have an opinion on buying the DW and (possibly) the TW and SJA boxsets?
    You should really get the Who boxsets, so that you can watch the episodes whenever you like. I never get tired of watching Who, so it's great to own the episodes on DVD/Blu-ray (coincidentally, I watched The Shakespeare Code last night). As for TW and SJA, it could be a slightly more difficult decision. I would recommend watching the first three series of Torchwood. Children of Earth (the third series) is phenomenal, while the first two series have their moments. The episodes are wonderfully character-based. Plus, the references to Doctor Who are great (you even get Martha appearing for three episodes).

While I love SJA, I'd rank it much lower on the list of boxsets to buy. There are definitely two or three episodes you should check out, if you haven't seen them. Saying that, Elisabeth Sladen is just magical, and Clyde and Rani's relationship is exciting to watch. It's really something you should watch, but I wouldn't place as much importance on it. In short, go for Doctor Who, and Torchwood if you've got money to spare. If you've got plenty to spare, then get SJA as well. :P I've got them all except SJA Series 5. I should buy it sometime, if only for The Curse of Clyde Langer.

Wow, Melody Malone has so much innuendo. I'd also like to share this hilarious excerpt.

"Finally the cab drew up at the kerb with a jerk. The jerk stayed behind the steering wheel as I eased myself out."

-The Eleventh

marioguy: In the first post it says that the joining form requires three or four lines of reasons why you like Doctor Who before I let you join, to make sure every member of this club is capable of decently meaty posts. I know this might be annoying as you clearly are capable of that judging from what you linked to, but could you do it anyway for the sake of procedure, please, so I'm not making exceptions for anyone? ^^;

To add an alternate opinion to the boxset question: although I don't have any boxsets for either so I can't say anything about any potential DVD-only content, personally I prefer The Sarah Jane Adventures to Torchwood; I've rewatched SJA episodes significantly more times than TW episodes. This is largely down to my personal tastes in that I much prefer a more idealistic tone to a more cynical one. Both shows are essentially about a group of mostly-ordinary people who fight aliens on Earth, but SJA focuses a lot on the adventure and wonder and excitement of it while Torchwood tends to show more how the alien-fighting screws up the main characters' lives. That's not to say SJA doesn't have its occasional heartbreaking episodes, but it's always heartbreaking in a sort of... beautiful way, whereas Torchwood is usually rather cruel about it.

Basically what I'm trying to say here is that if you have enough money for one but not both of SJA or Torchwood, think about which one you'd probably prefer. Both have some amazing episodes and some not-so-great episodes, but overall you're likely to personally enjoy one more than the other depending on your taste in fiction.

...although it must be pointed out that two Sarah Jane episodes feature guest appearances from the Doctor (Tenth in series 3, Eleventh in series 4), and that definitely has to go down as an objective point towards SJA. I mean, it's the Doctor. =D

Also, yes, definitely get Doctor Who boxsets. Aside from being able to watch the episodes whenever you like, there's various extra stuff - some of the commentaries with cast and crew can be very entertaining, and the DVD-only scenes, if you haven't already come across them elsewhere, are definitely worth seeing if you like the characters.

Wow, Melody Malone has so much innuendo. I'd also like to share this hilarious excerpt.

"Finally the cab drew up at the kerb with a jerk. The jerk stayed behind the steering wheel as I eased myself out."
    Pfft. Oh, River. I am going to have to check this book out sometime, even if it's not the same one from the episode.

(Speaking of books, I think I may have gained a new habit of peeking at the chapter titles of any new books I get before beginning to read the actual story. Not sure if this is a good thing or if I'll end up regretting it one day.)

-elyvorg/Amelia
    LOST EVOLUTION

Foregone Conclusion

I love the concept of travelling in time and space, and in Doctor Who we get to explore that more then in any other TV program ever. We don't just get new worlds & terrifying enemies, we get our own at all different times in our history (often with a keen eye to get thins mostly right) and in times that are yet to come (and yet are brought to life so well it's hard to accept that's only a possible future).
    We get species that are intensely interesting, and so come to defy death and even change our own reality (the Daleks being the prime example) and yet they seem to reflect sides of ourselves (some we try not to accept we have but need to know exist so we're forewarned).
    It has a mythos more complex and interesting then almost anything I've ever come across, it even challenges true history in terms of interest.

The Eleventh .
    A truly fantastic character study of the Doctor that kinda merged the strengths and weaknesses of the Ninth and Tenth, and far more entertaining in his own ways I think.

Who's your favourite character?
    Amy Pond
    She just totally took over the companion slot and made it her own in fresh and heartfelt ways beyond anything I've seen before

I'll also add two villains to that: The Master and The Dream Lord
    Both were fantastic villains and characters, and I really really hope each will be back.

Desired character title? (Optional)
    The Master.

~ I'm the Master. And these, are my friends.

Since I've gotten back to college, I've started watching Torchwood again. My friend and I have this tradition of watching Doctor Who together, because I was such a huge fan last year and he started watching and I wanted to watch them all again. After we ran out of Doctor Who we began watching Torchwood, and Sara Jane Adventures is next if we ever finish.
    So two nights ago we watched "Meat." It was so great. Our first episode of the year was "To the Last Man," which wasn't really quintessentially Torchwood; it was just kind of cliched. But "Meat" got us back into the swing of things.

Spoiler:- Meat:

All of this Torchwood-watching reminds me that I need to get back to Classic Who. But I have so much homework! What's that? If I do my homework, I'll have time to watch Doctor Who? ...Yeah, I guess you're right, logical side of my brain.

Cheers,
    Toshiko Sato
    Last edited by Thecatteam; 9th October 2012 at 6:35 PM.

Pokemon White friend code: 0648 2224 4895
    Pokemon White 2 friend code: 1550 3078 1849

"One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties.
    Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
    Goodbye Susan. Goodbye my dear."
    -The First Doctor

marioguy: In the first post it says that the joining form requires three or four lines of reasons why you like Doctor Who before I let you join, to make sure every member of this club is capable of decently meaty posts. I know this might be annoying as you clearly are capable of that judging from what you linked to, but could you do it anyway for the sake of procedure, please, so I'm not making exceptions for anyone? ^^;
    Okay then. When I first saw Blink, I thought for a very long time about how intricate the stable time loops and bootstrap paradoxes were. The DVD scene especially blew my mind. I just had to watch more of this show. It was finals week then, but as soon as summer started I plowed through episode from 2005 until I was all caught up. It took me a few week. The episodes were a mixed bag, but they were overall good. It's amazing how 9, 10, and 11 are different characters in their own regard but are still the same awesome Doctor.

Spoilers for the Angels take Manhattan:

Spoiler:
    Last edited by Sadib; 10th October 2012 at 7:22 AM.
    Jackpot!

Night_Walker: Welcome back! Your contributions were always pretty awesome. I hope you'll get the chance to join in lots of our discussions in future.

You're not the only one who kind of hopes the Dream Lord will return sometime; I found him really fascinating in Amy's Choice. That said, though, I've been okay with the fact that he hasn't done so for two series and perhaps never actually will, because I've learned that you don't need to have the Dream Lord around to get a really strong sense of how much the Doctor hates himself. His self-loathing has been explored a whole bunch recently - particularly in series 6 part 2, and also A Town Called Mercy - and I've been quite satisfied with that, Dream Lord or no Dream Lord.

marioguy: Thank you, and welcome. Sorry for being all naggy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by marioguy View Post
    Spoilers for the Angels take Manhattan:

Spoiler:
    But if it were possible, why would the Doctor wait until sometime later to pick the Ponds back up? The loss of Amy and Rory is a massive change in the Doctor's life that he really doesn't want to accept - if he was aware of any way of getting her back, then he'd have already done so, because he just can't let her go. Therefore, in-universe, it has to be the case that he really can never see her again, whatever the reasons are. (I mentioned in an earlier post how I think it might have something to do with the chapter title of "Amelia's Last Farewell"; once he'd seen that, it was set in stone that he'd lose her forever. Averting that would cause a paradox, which New York can no longer withstand.)

From an out-of-universe perspective, sure, perhaps it would have been possible to write the episode so that the Doctor tricked out time and didn't lose Amy and Rory. But that's not what this episode was about; it was about the Doctor losing Amy and Rory for good. And given that, writing Amy and Rory back in would just spoil the impact of their ending storyline. I know Steven Moffat can be a massive liar sometimes, but I really don't think he'd have lied about this, because it would totally compromise the story this episode told. He only lies if it'll help him tell his stories better. (I for one definitely enjoyed series 6 even more because I genuinely believed him when he said the Doctor really was dead.)

That and I got the impression from Amy's afterword that she wrote it when she was quite old. She did say that she and Rory lived well and were very happy, and it doesn't seem like she'd have put it that way if they hadn't already lived out most of their life. Also... there's something else canonical that's just appeared that makes it clear what a long and happy life Amy and Rory led in New York.

Ever wonder about Brian, and whether he ever found out what happened to his son and daughter-in-law? Well, Chris Chibnall wrote a scene addressing that, which sadly was never filmed but has now been made available in storyboard form with Arthur Darvill voicing part of it. It is lovely; anyone who cares about Rory, Amy and/or Brian should definitely see it.

Spoiler:- P.S.:

It's a shame that the scene wasn't properly filmed, but it's still incredibly moving just in storyboard-and-voiceover form. I'd thought series 7 part 1 had already wrung all the tears it could from me. Not so.

-elyvorg/Amelia
    LOST EVOLUTION

Foregone Conclusion

Indeed, P.S. is so poignant. I didn't post about it yesterday because I was too busy playing Black 2. Oops.

Last edited by The Eleventh; 13th October 2012 at 3:02 PM.

I’ve finished Empire of Glass a few days ago, so:
    ~Spoiler Free Review Time~

[u]Doctor Who: The Empire of Glass[u/] (Virgin Missing Adventures, Andy Lane 1995)
    (As downloaded from ManyBooks.net)

Overall I enjoyed this, there was an interesting plot, plenty of action, and appearances by several historical figures (though I can’t vouch for the accuracy of the depictions, and some reviewers felt this was overdone… but then, some of them also said you needed to be really familiar with the 1st Doctor to enjoy this book, and I didn’t find that to be the case) and lots of aliens! Also we get to experience the story from several different points of view. However that doesn’t mean it was perfect. There were an increasing number of inconsistencies in the second half, as though the author had rewritten the ending a couple times. And I was somewhat annoyed with something the doctor points out, as he realizes it without first showing any sort of thought process.

There’s artist and author interviews after the story. I only skimmed the first part of these, but the author’s appears to give quite a bit of ‘what I chose to do and why’.

And you can’t argue with the price of the e-book version… I’m not sure how this book came to be offered free as it’s more recent, but I’m glad it was.

Indeed, P.S. is so poignant. I didn't post about it yesterday because I was too busy playing Black 2. Oops.

Jackpot!

So, to perhaps spark some discussion, remember this post? Well...

Spoiler:- Series 7 Part 2 episode title:

Speaking of the TARDIS, did anyone else notice the new addition to the console room in The Angels Take Manhattan? You know, that window-thing that was present in the Doctor Who Experience's TARDIS console room earlier this year. Was it in the other S7P1 episodes? I didn't notice it, anyway. It seems like a rather strange update.

DWM's revealed the inclusion of certain characters in the Christmas Special.

Spoiler:- Christmas!; not very spoiler-y:

Gah, so much fiftieth anniversary merchandise is being announced. I don't have enough funds to cope. D:

Quote Originally Posted by marioguy View Post
    Oh, damn.

Hey, I'm finally getting round to watching the classic episodes!

I joined the Doctor Who Society at my uni, so I get to watch a classic episode a week. Now I don't have to be a philistine any longer.
    I saw the 3rd doc's first episode last week, and I get to see the very first episode this week. The SFX is a bit pants.

All this and more on my tumblr!
    I can breed premier ball Johto starters.
    3DS: 1160-9852-7611
    Will-Powered Spriter

Quote Originally Posted by Will-powered Spriter View Post
    Hey, I'm finally getting round to watching the classic episodes!

I joined the Doctor Who Society at my uni, so I get to watch a classic episode a week. Now I don't have to be a philistine any longer.
    I saw the 3rd doc's first episode last week, and I get to see the very first episode this week. The SFX is a bit pants.
    You have a club for Doctor Who? How lucky you are.

I've only seen a select few Classic episodes; An Unearthly Child (the first episode, though I've seen some of "The Cave of Skulls"), The Tomb of the Cybermen, The Time Warrior, half of The Talons of Weng-Chiang and the TV movie. I really want to get into it more, especially with the fiftieth being next year. The stories are pretty enjoyable, though I must say that it's hard to adjust to the slower pacing after experiencing the new series. I definitely want to watch Sarah Jane's episodes (as you can tell, I've already seen her debut).

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast