Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: The Doctor Who Club v.4

So I guess I'll be bumping this thread? We don't have much new information to talk about, but it's a month until DW starts up again.

I'm kind of curious as to how the Doctor is going to approach Clara, now that he knows something's up with her. A normal person would try to not alarm her with talk of all that's been going on, but that's never been quite the Doctor's style . . . I also want to know the circumstances of Clara becoming the companion. Will she meet the Doctor without really trying (like all other companions) and then become a companion because the Doctor knows something's up with her . . . or will the Doctor deliberately try and get her to travel with him? Like purposely materialize the TARDIS in her bedroom or something? Or maybe he'll just kidnap her. With the Doctor, you never know.

Also, this had been brought up before (probably), but I'm just thinking: Amy and Rory were sent back in time from 2012 New York. It's definitely possible that they (or Brian, that is what their son is called, right?) had a part in helping Melody after she regenerated for the first time. She did become a toddler, after all. That would also explain how the hell Mels was able to grow up with Amy and Rory, too. Although that doesn't quite explain the not-ageing thing . . . I'm thinking about this too much, aren't it?

kjt/Clara Oswin Oswin
    ┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐

School has just about killed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Becoming View Post
    So I guess I'll be bumping this thread? We don't have much new information to talk about, but it's a month until DW starts up again.
    Yeah, there has been an absence of news lately, but that appears to be changing, as is evident later in my post.

I'm kind of curious as to how the Doctor is going to approach Clara, now that he knows something's up with her. A normal person would try to not alarm her with talk of all that's been going on, but that's never been quite the Doctor's style . . . I also want to know the circumstances of Clara becoming the companion. Will she meet the Doctor without really trying (like all other companions) and then become a companion because the Doctor knows something's up with her . . . or will the Doctor deliberately try and get her to travel with him? Like purposely materialize the TARDIS in her bedroom or something? Or maybe he'll just kidnap her. With the Doctor, you never know.
    I can see both working. I guess we'll have to wait until 30th March to find out. I can see him finding her and promising her the wonders of the universe, without disclosing the fact that there are multiple versions of her throughout time and space. But the modern era Clara was seen in the graveyard, looking at the gravestone bearing the Victorian Clara's name, so she could already be aware of it.

Also, this had been brought up before (probably), but I'm just thinking: Amy and Rory were sent back in time from 2012 New York. It's definitely possible that they (or Brian, that is what their son is called, right?) had a part in helping Melody after she regenerated for the first time. She did become a toddler, after all. That would also explain how the hell Mels was able to grow up with Amy and Rory, too. Although that doesn't quite explain the not-ageing thing . . . I'm thinking about this too much, aren't it?
    I like to think this happened, too. It's a nice thought and I see no reason to dismiss it. As for not aging, Time Lords seem to age at a much slower rate than humans, though Mels was also seen to be aging at a normal pace. Perhaps the slow-aging effect wore off after some time since she's only partly Time Lord? Or maybe she could control it. Oh, and Amy and Rory's son was called Anthony Williams; Brian is his middle name, after his grandfather. :P

As I mentioned at the beginning, new details regarding Series 7 Part 2 have emerged.

Spoiler:- Series 7 Part 2 promo image and synopses:

There's a really fantastic interview with Steven Moffat on YouTube that's well worth a watch. He addresses issues such as the running time of the anniversary special; it's a brilliant interview. He's restored my confidence in him, anyway.

Twenty-nine days to go. Not too much longer...

-The Eleventh/Rory Williams

Quote Originally Posted by The Eleventh View Post
    I can see both working. I guess we'll have to wait until 30th March to find out. I can see him finding her and promising her the wonders of the universe, without disclosing the fact that there are multiple versions of her throughout time and space. But the modern era Clara was seen in the graveyard, looking at the gravestone bearing the Victorian Clara's name, so she could already be aware of it.
    I don’t recall her actually looking at it, at least not reading it, so I don’t think she knows the stone had her name on it, and if she did, well, it’s not that uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by The Eleventh View Post
    I like to think this happened, too. It's a nice thought and I see no reason to dismiss it. As for not aging, Time Lords seem to age at a much slower rate than humans, though Mels was also seen to be aging at a normal pace. Perhaps the slow-aging effect wore off after some time since she's only partly Time Lord? Or maybe she could control it. Oh, and Amy and Rory's son was called Anthony Williams; Brian is his middle name, after his grandfather. :P
    Aging on the show has always been hard to gauge, Amy and Rory were supposed to be much older than the actors actually looked near the end, hence the reading glasses to make Amy look older. River (just having regenerated from Mels in ‘Let’s Kill Hitler’) mentions ‘that she might take the age down gradually to freak people out,’ but this may have been a just a joke and/or a reference to how her life was pretty much filmed backwards.

Can’t wait for the new episodes…
        Spoiler:- ...but :
    Problematic Paranormal Files

The Gravity Falls Fanclub | My Twitter: @CleverKraken

Today's Fact: Phasmophobia is the fear of Ghost, Spectrophobia is fear of Mirrors.

I have only seen two nu dw episodes. Didn't really enjoy the second episode. Should I keep watching?

Right, guys, it's time this club sprang back into activity again, because there's only two weeks left to go, and there is a new trailer! Yaaay!

Spoiler:- As usual, trailer thoughts:

Also, and this is from a while ago, but: images from some of the episodes. The captions on them mention what episodes they're from, allowing us to get an idea of what the first few episodes of the series are going to involve.

Spoiler:- Vague episode lineup:

That promo image The Eleventh posted a while back is pretty cool, too! I was very struck by the sheer purpleness of the Doctor's outfit in it (at which I would have gone all elyvorg-overanalyses-the-Doctor's-taste-in-clothes again, except that isn't what he's seen wearing in any clips or images from the actual episode, so huh).

I am kind of sad that there doesn't seem to be a prequel for this half-series coming along at any point. I feel like there could perhaps be potential for one, given the current situation the Doctor is in, and if there were, I'm sure I'd enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed practically every prequel recently. But eh. Maybe there still will be one and it just hasn't come yet.

kuzronk: I think you should keep watching, at least for a bit. The thing about this show is that it's episodes are so incredibly varied - so that might mean there'll be a few you won't like as much, but it doesn't necessarily mean you won't like most of them. Give it a chance for a few episodes more to see if it's the show in general that isn't really for you, or if it was just that one episode that you didn't particularly like.

~two weeks to go!~

-elyvorg/Amelia
    Last edited by elyvorg; 17th March 2013 at 12:23 AM.
    .: Evolution is a battle .:. Something has to lose :.
    LOST EVOLUTION
    Chapter 33: Inside has been posted.

Foregone Conclusion
    Spinoff/prequel/backstory/thingy to Lost Evolution, written for NaNoWriMo 2010

Three Heads Are Better Than One

I totally agree. Let's get this party started! So I watched the new trailer and WOW is the word that came first. I decided to do a closer watch of said trailer and saw some interesting things.

Spoiler:- In-depth Trailer:
    Last edited by MasterGohan; 19th March 2013 at 2:20 AM.
    3DS FC: 5343 - 8655 - 7879
    IGN: Kenny

Credit: Azulart for the gym badges

Quote Originally Posted by elyvorg View Post
    I am kind of sad that there doesn't seem to be a prequel for this half-series coming along at any point. I feel like there could perhaps be potential for one, given the current situation the Doctor is in, and if there were, I'm sure I'd enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed practically every prequel recently. But eh. Maybe there still will be one and it just hasn't come yet.
    Well, what do you know. I was pretty certain there'd be potential for a prequel here, and, yep, there totally is one, available this Saturday! And since it features the Doctor ("taking a break from his search for Clara", apparently), I imagine that, like every other prequel with the Doctor in, I will love it to bits. I am very excited to see it.

Other stuff: there's some images for The Bells of St. John, a few of which are interesting and might actually be a little bit spoilery, so be aware if you're averse to that. Also, this is definitely worth a look (and not notably spoilery); it has interviews with Steven Moffat, Matt Smith and Jenna-Louise Coleman, as well as titles and synopses for the first four episodes. That and it has those movie-poster-esque images for said first four episodes; apparently they're keeping that up with this half of the series, and I approve.

Spoiler:- Brief opinion on one of the titles:

MasterGohan, I doubt that's a Sycorax in the trailer there. Sycorax have white, bony faces; this thing's skin is brown.

(this isn't much of a party yet; where is everyone else? :< )

~9 days to go!~ also, yay, prequel!

-elyvorg/Amelia
    LOST EVOLUTION

Foregone Conclusion

Just a week to go!

I saw that prequel for The Bells of St. John and it was cute. I sort of expected the part at the end for some reason.

Spoiler:- Prequel:
    Claimed: Grovyle - November 10th, 2013
    Chapter 18 is up.

The prequel! It is adorable and lovely - and actually kind of interesting. I think that everyone, even those who don't usually watch the prequels (although why on earth not? they're invariably amazing) should at least see this one before they watch the episode next Saturday.

Spoiler:- Prequel to The Bells of Saint John:

Also, trailer for The Bells of Saint John! It has a couple of interesting things in it:

Spoiler:- Thoughts on that trailer; will mention prequel:

~one week to go!~

-elyvorg/Amelia
    LOST EVOLUTION

Foregone Conclusion

Well, I haven't posted in a while, but with both the prequel and the trailer for the new episode . . . stuff to talk about! I'm just gonna say everything in the one spoilers...

Spoiler:- this is that one spoiler:

Okay, well now I'm watching some DW online and I caught the end of TATM. Watching that was a bad idea. PS is on right now, and hopefully The Snowmen will be on afterwards. I really should rewatch that.

And like halfway through I'll probably tune in to Pokemon Smash. But back to the trailer...

Oh yeah The Snowmen is on now.

Spoiler:- back to it:

This is all I have to say. I'll be watching The Snowmen now

kjt/Clara Oswin Oswald
    ┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐

Oh. MY. God. This exists. YES PLEASE!
    1. Never have I seen a television show be so... adventurous. I've always been obsessed with time and this just blew my mind as a child. Its creative and amazing story telling and characters just add to the .. good...ness. I'm running out of things to say... uh...
    2. David will always be my doctor, the first one I saw, was the best.
    3. Rose Tyler.
    Jessica - Black 2 : 5029-4000-2471

Why do you like Doctor Who?
    How can I not? Doctor Who has the single greatest setting ever. An episode can literally be anywhere and any time, and have whatever villains the writers desire.
    An episode about technological Arthurian knights from a parallel universe searching for Excalibur? Can do.
    An episode where The Doctor is trapped inside an alien television? Entirely possible.
    How about an episode where the TARDIS manifests itself as a woman? Sure, why not?
    The possibilities are just endless.

Who's your favourite Doctor?
    To quote Stephen Moffat, the one who has two hearts and flies a TARDIS.
    In all seriousness, though, I'd say the third is my favourite.
    I like his dignity and subtle humour, as well as his "holier than thou" vibe.

Desired character title?
    The War-Chief.
    Ash nazg durbatulűk, ash nazg gimbatul,
    ash nazg thrakatulűk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuma
    No morals for you evolutionists.
    Please avoid saying things like that.

I go away for one weekend and everything happens!! And here I thought it was safe to go away the weekend before the premiere. Boy was I wrong!

Spoiler:- My thoughts on the DW stuff I missed this weekend:

And it looks like the party is getting started. Its good to see some new faces around here.

MasterGohan/Mickey the Idiot

Yay for some new faces appearing just before the new series!

White draco: I am so sorry, but I can't let you in just yet, because that post isn't quite long enough. I feel really bad about this, though, as you're clearly excited to join, so do feel free to try again. You just need to add a few more sentences - maybe say why the Tenth is your favourite Doctor? Think of an episode that's one of your favourites and explain why you like it? Why do you want to have Rose as your character title? There's lots you could say!

Megaton666: That's just about enough, so, welcome! I take it the War-Chief is something from a classic episode? (I am so uneducated regarding the classic series for the most part. D: )

Also,
    "The one who has two hearts and flies a TARDIS."
    Aww, I had no idea that was something Steven Moffat had once said - and yet it definitely sounds like the kind of thing he'd say. That's lovely.

So! Tuesday before new series means a Radio Times with information about each of the upcoming episodes! Despite that, it's never too spoilery; just basic premises and interesting little tidbits.

Spoiler:- Radio Times:

MasterGohan -

Spoiler:- Regarding the prequel:

Spoiler:- back to it:
        Spoiler:- Reply, regarding something in the half-series trailer:

~five days!~

-elyvorg/Amelia
    LOST EVOLUTION

Foregone Conclusion

FIVE DAYS!! My excitement is definitely building. I love that we get a new episode of Doctor Who on saturday and a new Doctor Who special on sunday. I really want to learn about the older Doctors so the specials interest me a lot.

Also I love having these conversations, learning what others feel about and take away from Doctor Who is amazing. Lets keep this rolling! I'm sure there will be much to talk about next week but speculation is always fun. This club rocks!!

So now there's three preview clips for Saturday's episode, which are a lot of fun. If I'd even remotely begun to forget just how exciting and mad and amazing a show Doctor Who is, these clips rectified that excellently. =D

Some vaguely speculatory thoughts on the multiple Claras...

Spoiler:- Going off something from a preview clip and something from the Radio Times I forgot to mention before:

I watched The Snowmen again earlier today, and eee I'd almost forgotten just how heartmelting the Doctor's affection towards Clara was in that episode. :3 I really hope we see more along those lines with contemporary Clara in The Bells of Saint John and onwards, because it's always adorable to be able to really see how deeply attached the Doctor is to his companions.

On rewatching the Doctor's reaction to finding out that Clara isn't permanently dead, I also have to admit I've changed my mind and now subscribe to MasterGohan's interpretation of the Doctor in the prequel, rather than my original one.

~two daaays~

-elyvorg/Amelia
    LOST EVOLUTION

Foregone Conclusion

Right, back to it.

I am very, very excited for The Bells of Saint John. I'm always excited for new Who, but it just seems like the episode won't disappoint. The preview clips are all fantastic and...

Spoiler:- Preview clip discussion:

A certain piece of merchandise has spoiled something in TBoSJ for me, which is slightly annoying. It's not a major plot point (at least, I don't think it will be), but it will bring about what I imagine to be a very touching moment. I'm still looking forward to seeing it on-screen, though. I'll post it in a spoiler box, but I'd recommend not viewing it until after the episode. It's only two days away (!), after all.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by elyvorg View Post
    Some vaguely speculatory thoughts on the multiple Claras...

Spoiler:- Going off something from a preview clip and something from the Radio Times I forgot to mention before:
        Spoiler:- Reply:

Anyway, regarding the discussion about the "I am the Doctor, and I am afraid" line:

Spoiler:- Radio Times:

In the midst of all the Bells of Saint John information, a prequel to The Snowmen/sequel to A Good Man Goes to War has materialised. It's that scene; the one in which we find out how Strax survived the Battle of Demons Run. It can be watched here (the BBC have been taking it down from YouTube, since it's US-only at the moment for some unknown reason). It's fun, but rather low-key, to say the least.

Just over forty-seven hours!

-The Eleventh/Rory Williams

Why do you like Doctor Who?
    It'd be impossible not to love Doctor Who! Anyway, I started watching it when the revived series made it's first appearance with 'Rose' in 2005. I watched it every Saturday evening it was on. I'd watched every episode up to 'Planet of the Dead' back in Easter 2009, when I left Wales (Where Doctor Who is filmed), and moved to New Zealand. I'm still a Who-Fan today and won't be stopped after 8 years of being a fan. I recently won a auction in a Salvation Army store where I ended up winning about 30-40 Classic Doctor Who serials on VHS. All work perfectly!

Who's your favourite Doctor?

As the Tenth Doctor would say, 'Blimey!' For me choosing a favourite Doctor is like trying to pick your favourite family member but I'll have to try.
    My favourite, undoubtedly is the Eleventh Doctor. He's just such a fun and more distinctly alien than any of his predecessors but seems so lonely and mysterious, and again more than his predecessors.

Second would be the Seventh Doctor, because he had so much depth as the character, hiding these big secrets that he's never unveiled before and he was a master negotiator and manipulator.

Thirdly would be the Fourth Doctor (Would you like a jelly baby?) such an awesome charisma he brought to the character over his 7 years and it has made him loveable and memorable.

Desired character title?
    Davros.

I'm glad that other people in this club are in the know when it comes to Doctor Who information. I don't know where you guys get these clips but keep them coming. I'll start with the 3 that elyvorg posted earlier today.

Spoiler:- My thoughts on the three clips that elyvorg posted about earlier today:

Wow! Who knew you could write so much about 3 little clips from an upcoming episode from one of the best shows on television. So. Now on to the "A Good Man Goes To War" prequel.

Spoiler:- My thoughts on the Demon's Run epilogue, and boy do I have something to say about this!:

"So. Dresses then!" My new favorite Doctor Who quote! Love it! I'm going to have a mini marathon tomorrow to get geared up for saturday. This is going to be EPIC!! PEACE!!

Whee, it's Saturday! I love Saturdays; don't you? :3

The Lone Renegade: Welcome! You seem like a pretty big fan; I hope you enjoy it in here. It is a bit of a shame that you moved to New Zealand where the episodes take longer to come out - in that regard, I'd advise you to tread a little carefully in here once the series starts if you're wary of being spoiled, because the current spoiler rules only keep new episodes spoilered for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGohan View Post
        Spoiler:- My thoughts on the three clips that elyvorg posted about earlier today:
        Spoiler:- More thoughts on preview clips:

Hee hee. That little Strax scene is so much fun. I'd already had a vague idea of how he survived, and this pretty much just confirms what I'd thought, but the actual scene itself is just so entertaining. x3
        Spoiler:- Strax bonus scene:

Grrr at it only supposedly being available in the US even though the show is made in the UK, though. I guess it makes a certain amount of sense, if they're planning to make it exclusive to the British boxsets, but still. Thanks for linking, The Eleventh; I doubt I'd ever have been able to find it myself.

Looking further ahead than the upcoming series, there's been some pretty exciting news about the 50th anniversary specials! Not sure if there's any point spoilering this since I'm sure it will become well-known fact soon enough, but for now...
        Spoiler:- 50th anniversary casting:

Watch out, guys - there's something dangerous in the wi-fi...

~less than four hours to go!~

-elyvorg/Amelia
    LOST EVOLUTION

Foregone Conclusion

Spoiler:- The more things change...:
    As to what once, it now is. For this my retirement tour, let us commence, forevermore, forevermore.

Quote Originally Posted by Armando Payne View Post
        Spoiler:- The more things change...:
        Spoiler:- response:

Spoiler:- my own thoughts:

Oh, and next week's episode looks good. Although I understand about 0% of what happened in the trailer.

EDIT:

Spoiler:- that 50th anniversary thing:

Becoming/Clara Oswin Oswald
    Last edited by Becoming; 31st March 2013 at 12:34 AM.
    ┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐

Spoiler:- The Bells of Saint John:

Spoiler:- Next Time:

Sudden thought about Oswin - so she was a "junior entertainment manager" on the Starship Alaska, right? As in, entertaining juniors? Meaning she looked after kids? Like a governess? I might be interpreting that job title totally wrongly, but that seems plausible.

oh god there were kids on that spaceship and the Daleks must have murdered them all

Spoiler:- that 50th anniversary thing:
        Spoiler:- 50th anniversary!:

=D

-elyvorg/Amelia
    Last edited by elyvorg; 1st April 2013 at 5:37 PM.
    LOST EVOLUTION

Foregone Conclusion

Spoiler:- 50th Anniversary Thingamabob:
    As to what once, it now is. For this my retirement tour, let us commence, forevermore, forevermore.

Just saw the recent episode, was quite entertained by it.

Spoiler:- Bell's of St John:

All this and more on my tumblr!
    I can breed premier ball Johto starters.
    3DS: 1160-9852-7611
    Will-Powered Spriter

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast