Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
Results 276 to 300 of 641

Thread: The Doctor Who Club v.4

  1. #276

    Default

    I really, really enjoyed The Bells of Saint John. It definitely succeeded on many levels, but The Eleventh Hour is still my favourite companion-introduction episode.

        Spoiler:- The Bells:


    Last night, I was thinking about the rest of the series, and if the Doctor will tell Clara about her past (and future, I guess) lives.

        Spoiler:- Episode 6 costume discussion, as seen in Radio Times pictures:


        Spoiler:- Next Time:


    Doctor Who is back. :D

    -The Eleventh/Rory Williams

  2. #277
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    The internet is my tree.
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

        Spoiler:- The leaf:


    Quote Originally Posted by The Eleventh View Post
    Last night, I was thinking about the rest of the series, and if the Doctor will tell Clara about her past (and future, I guess) lives.

        Spoiler:- Episode 6 costume discussion, as seen in Radio Times pictures:
        Spoiler:- Trailer stuff and premise of episode 6/11 (numbering these things is confusing!):




    And another thing - something for which I have no idea why I didn't search for it and watch it earlier because there's always one of these and it's always different from the British one but definitely no less worth seeing - a BBC America trailer! I find it pretty damn interesting; it gives a certain indication of how the Doctor and Clara's relationship may develop towards the later part of the series, which I have quite a bit to say about...

        Spoiler:- BBC America trailer:



    -elyvorg/Amelia
    .: Evolution is a battle .:. Something has to lose :.
    LOST EVOLUTION
    Chapter 33: Inside has been posted.


    Foregone Conclusion
    Spinoff/prequel/backstory/thingy to Lost Evolution, written for NaNoWriMo 2010

    Three Heads Are Better Than One

  3. #278

    Default

        Spoiler:- The Rings of Akhaten:


    Next week should be exciting.

    -The Eleventh/Rory Williams

  4. #279
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    The internet is my tree.
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    Yeah, I'm with you on how this wasn't the beeest episode out there, but it was still pretty decent and I still really enjoyed it. :3

        Spoiler:- The Rings of Akhaten:


        Spoiler:- Next Time:


    I wasn't massively hyped for next week's episode upon just reading stuff about it, but now I've seen trailers for it I actually am pretty excited. Yay!

    -elyvorg/Amelia
    .: Evolution is a battle .:. Something has to lose :.
    LOST EVOLUTION
    Chapter 33: Inside has been posted.


    Foregone Conclusion
    Spinoff/prequel/backstory/thingy to Lost Evolution, written for NaNoWriMo 2010

    Three Heads Are Better Than One

  5. #280
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    T.A.R.D.I.S.
    Posts
    4,235

    Default

        Spoiler:- Bells:


        Spoiler:- Rings:


        Spoiler:- 50 yr:
    Blog: Problematic Paranormal Files | Twitter: @CleverKraken


    (Psssssttt... hey, you, yah you, HOLIDAYS2014 - gets you 10% off $15+ in my shop ^ )

    Today's Fact: Angry shellfish harvesters used to cut up starfish they found eating their shellfish. A starfish can regenerate from any piece that contains a reasonable portion of the starfish's core (some species only need part of an arm). I'll let you figure out the result.

  6. #281
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    The internet is my tree.
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VampirateMace View Post
        Spoiler:- Rings:
        Spoiler:- Stuff about the Rings:


    More stuff about the 50th!
        Spoiler:- 50th anniversary:


    Cold War images!
        Spoiler:

    Hopefully there will be some preview clips along soon, too.

    -elyvorg/Amelia
    Last edited by elyvorg; 11th April 2013 at 1:15 PM.
    .: Evolution is a battle .:. Something has to lose :.
    LOST EVOLUTION
    Chapter 33: Inside has been posted.


    Foregone Conclusion
    Spinoff/prequel/backstory/thingy to Lost Evolution, written for NaNoWriMo 2010

    Three Heads Are Better Than One

  7. #282
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    T.A.R.D.I.S.
    Posts
    4,235

    Default

        Spoiler:- Rings reply:
    Blog: Problematic Paranormal Files | Twitter: @CleverKraken


    (Psssssttt... hey, you, yah you, HOLIDAYS2014 - gets you 10% off $15+ in my shop ^ )

    Today's Fact: Angry shellfish harvesters used to cut up starfish they found eating their shellfish. A starfish can regenerate from any piece that contains a reasonable portion of the starfish's core (some species only need part of an arm). I'll let you figure out the result.

  8. #283
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    The internet is my tree.
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    Oh, I see. I suppose this is something we'll have to agree to disagree on at least until we get answers to Clara's mystery, yeah.


    Preview clips!

    I've been getting increasingly excited for Cold War as the week's gone on, even though, as I said, this wasn't an episode I was initially too majorly interested in. The second of these preview clips in particular helped with that, I think. Since I'm me, allow me to try and articulate a bit more of why I'm looking forward to the episode so much now.

        Spoiler:- Preview clip and general Cold War stuff:


    -elyvorg/Amelia
    .: Evolution is a battle .:. Something has to lose :.
    LOST EVOLUTION
    Chapter 33: Inside has been posted.


    Foregone Conclusion
    Spinoff/prequel/backstory/thingy to Lost Evolution, written for NaNoWriMo 2010

    Three Heads Are Better Than One

  9. #284
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    3,097

    Default

    Only just caught up with rings, and am likely to be late seeing the next. :/

        Spoiler:- 5 gold rings:


        Spoiler:- Next time:
    Will-Powered Spriter

  10. #285
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    T.A.R.D.I.S.
    Posts
    4,235

    Default

    elyvorg
    Yeah, we won't know for sure until they officially tell us.

        Spoiler:- WPS - Reply:
    Blog: Problematic Paranormal Files | Twitter: @CleverKraken


    (Psssssttt... hey, you, yah you, HOLIDAYS2014 - gets you 10% off $15+ in my shop ^ )

    Today's Fact: Angry shellfish harvesters used to cut up starfish they found eating their shellfish. A starfish can regenerate from any piece that contains a reasonable portion of the starfish's core (some species only need part of an arm). I'll let you figure out the result.

  11. #286
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    I don't remember...
    Posts
    1,336

    Default

    Well the next episode looks good.
        Spoiler:- cold war:


        Spoiler:- rings of akhaten:

    Always watching. Always waiting. Never truly at peace in a realm of its own.
    Giratina will return....someday.



  12. #287

    Default

        Spoiler:- Cold War:


        Spoiler:- Next Time; Hide:


    -The Eleventh/Rory Williams

  13. #288
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Last Place You"ll Look
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Ok. So I've been away for a while but I have seen both of the new episodes. I haven't had the time to sit down and write all of my comments for either... until now. So here we go!!

        Spoiler:- The Bells of St. John:


        Spoiler:- The Rings of Akhaten:
    FC: 5343 - 8655 - 7879
    Y IGN: Kenny
    αS IGN: Gohan


    Credit: Azulart for the gym badges

  14. #289
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    597

    Default

        Spoiler:- Pacifism & Bad Music Choices.:
    As to what once, it now is. For this my retirement tour, let us commence, forevermore, forevermore.

  15. #290
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Okay so I didn't post anything about The Rings of Akhaten last week . . . but just quickly, I was disappointed with it. I liked Clara's friendship with Mary, and the Doctor's speech thing to the sun (or whatever it was) . . . but aside from that I felt it to be a weak episode. Those scary things in the robes appeared for all of five minutes, only to be replaced by that pseudo-vampire creature, and then the giant sun thing. I kinda liked how we got to see some more of Clara's past, but I found the leaf plot to be lame. I was somewhat expecting the Doctor to give up Amy's glasses for something, because they obviously hold a lot of value. Or possibly the last page of Melody Malone. Instead he gets Clara to give up that leaf, which didn't have that much emotional impact because we hardly knew Clara's mum . . . I just wonder if we'll see more of Clara's family. I'm just doubting it though because the next episode doesn't, and I don't think there's any episode for the rest of the series that takes place in present day London (although I may be wrong).

    Well, now for spoilers!

        Spoiler:- Cold War:


    That's all I really have to say, but for next week...

        Spoiler:- Hide:


    EDIT: and because I felt they're worth mentioning, here's some theories I've found about Clara:

        Spoiler:- Clara theories:


    kjt/Clara Oswin Oswald/Clara Oswald/Oswin Oswald
    Last edited by Becoming; 14th April 2013 at 2:23 AM.
    ┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐

  16. #291
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,102

    Default

    Ok, I've been meaning to join this for a while and now I'm actually bothering to do this after seeing Cold War last night, which... stirred up some strong opinions in me.

    Why do you like Doctor Who?
    Why do I like it? It's hilarious, touching, terrifying and entertaining all at the same time, and best of all, it's effectively the last standing monument to how television in Britain used to be and should be. Seriously, if you live here then you'd know what I'm talking about - we've got quite literally nothing going here in terms of good quality television (ok well that's a slight over-exaggeration but I really am getting sick of all the "talent" reality shows and the constant sob stories which accompany them). I started watching when the Ninth Doctor first came on and though I was quite young, I just remember being totally drawn into and mesmerised by the entire premise and world. When Eccleston left and Tennant replaced him I was slightly indignant at first but my doubts quickly faded away due to the much more dynamic and comedic elements of Tennant, only making me love the show more and more as it progressed. New Who overall has peaked with the Tennant/Tate partnership in my opinion, but I think Smith is an interesting Doctor and Coleman is an excellent companion from what I've seen of her.

    Who’s your favourite Doctor?
    The Tenth Doctor. Obviously seeing as I haven't seen any of the classic episodes and the first eight Doctors in action my opinion is a little misguided, but for me the Tenth Doctor epitomised everything the Doctor is, and much more. I've heard people say he overstayed his welcome on the show but I think that that simply allowed him to fully flesh out his character as much as possible, which he did fantastically. The Doctor and Donna Noble still remains one of my favourite pairings I've ever seen on television.

    Desired character title?
    None for the time being. All the good ones are taken so I'll have to take some time to find one I like.


    So, if I may I'd like to get straight to it.

        Spoiler:- Cold War:


    EDIT: Oh god, reading back over it I come across as awfully negative... I'm not like this usually, I swear xD
    Last edited by Poetry; 14th April 2013 at 4:41 PM.
    [CYTUS]
    ICE - L
    eyemedia - Bloody Purity
    xi - FREEDOM DiVE↓

  17. #292
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    597

    Default

    ^Don't worry pal, being overtly negative is a plus when it comes to Moffat!Era Doctor Who.
    As to what once, it now is. For this my retirement tour, let us commence, forevermore, forevermore.

  18. #293
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    The internet is my tree.
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    Well, that was rather awesome.

        Spoiler:- Cold War:


        Spoiler:- Next Time!:



    Poetry: Hello, and welcome to the club! I hope you'll enjoy it here and continue to contribute like you already have - I enjoyed reading your opinions of Cold War even though they were negative.

    (Ignore Armando Payne. I'm sure you understand that being negative is fine if you're still making valid, interesting points like you were, but that being overtly negative just for the sake of being negative is never necessary.)


    MasterGohan, I also found your thoughts on the first two episodes interesting to read despite their negativity. Since I'm me, and I apparently haven't rambled enough yet for a Sunday morning, allow me to give my own take on a few of your points.

    Clara sees the one for the family and clicks it and then types the password incorrectly (I'm not sure how I feel about the family coming up with her catchphrase, btw) and instead of trying again, knowing which one to click, the clicks the one she can't even read. That's just a bit idiotic. I know Clara is un-computer savvy but I can believe that. I know enough people that have no idea how technology works just that it works to believe that this person could be unfamiliar with computers. Its the idiocy of that second click that I can't get behind.
    I really do think this is believable, myself. Clara had practically no idea about how computers worked - she almost thought that only one person in a house could use the internet at a time - so I find it entirely plausible that she simply didn't understand how clicking certain things could possibly be harmful, weird symbols or not. Add to that the fact that the guy on the helpline was being uncooperative and yelling at her for no reason, and she resorted to the old fallback of anyone who doesn't have a clue about how to solve their computer problem: click random things until something seems to work.

    Also, in Clara's book she never seems to have been 23 years old. Just odd.
    She skipped over 16 in the book as well - which is the age she was when her mother died. She'd have been 23 when the Maitlands' mother died, since that was a year ago. So I guess she had too much on her mind during those years to remember to update her age in the book.

    He tells Clara that he never takes the TARDIS into battle. What a lie. He always takes the TARDIS into battle. Sometimes inadvertently but how many times has he taken the TARDIS directly onto a Dalek ship? Yeah.
    Haha, yeah, the Doctor was definitely telling a big fib there. He just wanted to impress her by taking her for a ride on a motorbike, I bet. Or maybe he actually is getting more cautious in his old age?

    one of them says "Are you sure this time? We don't want another repeat of last time." I want to know what they did the first time they thought that they'd found the TARDIS. Though I guess leaving that up to our imaginations is just as good.
    They mention it happened in Earl's Court, where apparently there is an actual police box in real life. That must have resulted in... shenanigans, to say the least. xD


    I can understand why you had issues with The Rings of Akhaten, but I find it a shame that you completely couldn't suspend your disbelief enough to appreciate it at all. If one can look past the issues and get immersed regardless, then I believe it's still a really lovely episode. (I have to admit I found it better on my second viewing, when I'd had some time to reflect and certain things ended up making more sense to me than they did first time around.)

    On that note, my replies to a few of your thoughts on Akhaten will be along the lines of hopefully encouraging you to give certain things the benefit of the doubt should you ever watch the episode again.

    Its cool that the Doctor is trying to figure Clara out and its really cool that we get to see her parents but he's basically stalking her and I don't even think he figures anything out.
    Even though he doesn't figure anything out, knowing about her past is still useful fuel for speculation, both ours and the Doctor's. That and I think it's still important to establish that he's at least been trying to figure her out in between adventuring with her.

    And yes, he is basically stalking her and that's not very emotionally healthy of him; the Doctor's being kind of messed-up about this whole Clara thing, isn't he? Establishing that is also something I consider worthwhile.

    Why does the Doctor try to save her? I know, she's a child and bonded with Clara, but he's basically changing their belief system by saving her. Its like in the Aztecs episode with the first doctor only this time instead of making sure the belief system stays safe he deliberately tries to change it. Its like he's actually unlearning.
    Huh? The Aztecs was a First Doctor serial; surely you cannot expect the series to stay consistent with itself over that length of time, especially given how many times it's contradicted itself regarding time travel logic between various other old serials/newer episodes. Or, if you want a more in-universe argument, you can't expect the Doctor to still be exactly like he was in his First incarnation. I gather the First Doctor, near the beginning, was much less of a hero and was often willing to let things be and not save the day so long as he got out alive, right? But that is not who the Doctor is nowadays, and he hasn't been for centuries. Of course he'd want to save Merry; she's a scared little kid and it's not right that she should have to die just because tradition says so. An individual's life is always going to be more important to him than maintaining tradition.

    But he said impossible and then opened it.
    "It's impossible."
    "How impossible?"
    "Two minutes."
    - the Doctor and River, Flesh and Stone. He does this a lot.

    Mary immediately convinces every single creature there to suddenly change their religion and be against the Old God instead of offering up gifts like they did before.
    I wouldn't quite call the relationship between the people of Akhaten and the Old God a "religion". Religion is having faith in something, whether it's real or not, that you use to help you live your life. Their belief that everything in the universe originated from that one planet is perhaps a religious kind of thing. But the sun-parasite itself is actually a real, hugely powerful creature that the people only revere because it might eat them if they do anything to upset it. That's not a religion; that's fear. The song that the Chorister was singing as it started to wake sounded less like a hymn and more like a desperate "oh god please don't wake up I don't want you to eat me".

    So, basically, my point is - if it's seeming like the Doctor might actually be able to defeat the Old God and stop it from threatening to eat everyone who lives here? I think the people of Akhaten would quite sensibly be suddenly willing to help take it down.


    Also, generally, regarding the leaf's significance, because I think I've seen someone else also complain about how everything should have infinite possibilities, not just that leaf: what you've got to remember is that in Akhaten, it's not important what value an object physically has, or had, or would have had. What matters is the sentimental value attached to it by people. So any random object naturally has an infinity of possibilities that could have happened to it had things gone differently, but because no-one cares about those possibilities, because no-one has ever really thought about them and sentimentally attached them to that object, it has no real Akhatenian value and wouldn't be something the Old God would want to eat. On the other hand, in grieving for her mother, Clara must have thought a lot about all the things she could have done in her life and is now never going to be able to do, and that must have become what that leaf signified to her, since it was the symbol of her parents meeting in the first place. It must also help that she kept it in the "101 Things to See" book, which itself symbolises all those places Ellie Oswald might have visited but now never will. The leaf carries with it infinite possibilities because Clara sees it that way. Other objects that have similarly infinite possibilities attached to them in that way probably do exist, but I imagine they'd be rare.

    (But yes, I have to admit it bothered me slightly that it's clearly a different leaf from the one in the first episode when it's supposed to be the same. But only slightly! It's a tiny thing! Look past it!)

    -elyvorg/Amelia
    .: Evolution is a battle .:. Something has to lose :.
    LOST EVOLUTION
    Chapter 33: Inside has been posted.


    Foregone Conclusion
    Spinoff/prequel/backstory/thingy to Lost Evolution, written for NaNoWriMo 2010

    Three Heads Are Better Than One

  19. #294
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    597

    Default

    (Oh fine, ignore the realist you say, bah if you need me I'll be under a bridge.)
    As to what once, it now is. For this my retirement tour, let us commence, forevermore, forevermore.

  20. #295
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    3,097

    Default

    Armando, I don't think Realist is a stance you can take with opinions on fiction, nor do I think it means what you think it means. If a Realist consistently found nothing good with a thing they watched they'd stop watching it, as they're clearly not enjoying it.

    Anyway: Cold War!
        Spoiler:- On thin ice:


        Spoiler:- Next time:
    Will-Powered Spriter

  21. #296
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    597

    Default

    (Isn't realist, thinking realistically?)
    As to what once, it now is. For this my retirement tour, let us commence, forevermore, forevermore.

  22. #297
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    The internet is my tree.
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    Hide tomorrow! 8D Various previewy stuff has been gradually appearing over the week, so here's a round-up of everything I've found.

    Hide images!
        Spoiler:- Gallery:


    BBC America trailer, for anyone who's interested to know more about the plot and what exactly the Doctor is trying to achieve at one point in it. For anyone who doesn't want to know such stuff, better stay away from it. Sometimes BBC America trailers can be... a little bit too explicit with things. :/

    Preview clips!
        Spoiler:- The second of those:


    The summary the Radio Times gave implied something which was hinted at in the Next Time trailer but which I hadn't properly pieced together myself.
        Spoiler:- The Clara plot thread:



    Also, looking ahead, there's now movie posters for the next three episodes! I really like the one for Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS. It's so... Escher-like. I can tell this is going to be a fun episode, even though I barely know anything about its plot yet.

    EDIT: Make that the next four episodes now! The title for the final episode has been revealed and can be seen in those images. I can't exactly say I'm that surprised by it, since we pretty much knew the final episode was going to involve this; dunno why the title needed to be kept back until now to avoid being spoilery. But still - yay.


    Will-Powered Spriter - maybe you could arrange with any friends you have who are Doctor Who fans to all congregate in the same TV room to watch it together? Or if your uni does have a Doctor Who society then it seems likely they'd arrange group watchings, yes. Watching Doctor Who in the same room as other people who are just as excited about it as you should be a lot of fun, extra-creepy episode or not! I'm hoping to have that experience for the first time myself this Saturday, too. =D

    -elyvorg/Amelia
    Last edited by elyvorg; 19th April 2013 at 4:23 PM.
    .: Evolution is a battle .:. Something has to lose :.
    LOST EVOLUTION
    Chapter 33: Inside has been posted.


    Foregone Conclusion
    Spinoff/prequel/backstory/thingy to Lost Evolution, written for NaNoWriMo 2010

    Three Heads Are Better Than One

  23. #298
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    3,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armando Payne View Post
    (Isn't realist, thinking realistically?)
    Yes, exactly. We are talking about opinions on a sci-fi show. There is no such thing as a "realistic" opinion, except maybe in the case of accepting certain artistic choices are necessary and not begrudging them if so. That certainly doesn't apply here. You are not being realistic by being so negative. If anything it makes you seem completely un-pleasable, which is as far from realist as you can get.

    Quote Originally Posted by elyvorg View Post
    Will-Powered Spriter - maybe you could arrange with any friends you have who are Doctor Who fans to all congregate in the same TV room to watch it together? Or if your uni does have a Doctor Who society then it seems likely they'd arrange group watchings, yes. Watching Doctor Who in the same room as other people who are just as excited about it as you should be a lot of fun, extra-creepy episode or not! I'm hoping to have that experience for the first time myself this Saturday, too. =D
    There is a society, but my Uni is a very large collegiate thing, spread over a whole city so getting everyone together isn't always easy. That said, I'm surprised nothings been organised yet. Maybe I should take it into my own hands...

    That or camp the common room on saturday. Maybe some of the american exchange students will want to see it.

    Edit:

    Rargh, I couldn't get everyone organised in time, nor was the common room free (bloody football), so i-player it is. Or was, I guess.

        Spoiler:- I forgot completely what the episode was called:
    Last edited by Will-powered Spriter; 20th April 2013 at 9:42 PM.
    Will-Powered Spriter

  24. #299
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    158

    Default

    May I please join?

    Why do you like Doctor Who?

    Oh, dear. Let's see. I was only 7 when the new series started, and I didn't really start to hear about it until around 2010. I live in America, see, and Doctor Who was (and still somewhat is) according to a friend and fellow Whovian, "an unknown show for nerds". Anyway I met my current best friend on the cross-country team and he'd talk about it during our 30-45 minute workouts. So I was hooked and started to look into it. My first episode was Vincent and the Doctor. I was hooked. The show featured time travel, good storylines, and lots of emotion. I also am a vague Anglophile. My next-door neighbor was English and my age, and I spent most of my childhood inside their house until he moved away when I was 6. Apparently I have English mannerisms and a vague accent, though I'm certainly unaware of it. Crap, I'm rambling. So to summarize: cool costumes, good actors, excellent writers, interesting scripts.

    Who's your favourite Doctor?

    Well everyone loves 10. 9 invented sass (anyone remember Rose's mother cooking?) but 11 seems to be the most like me.

    Choosing is impossible, but I always say 11. Because bow ties are cool.

    Desired character title?

    Captain Jack. The american pansexual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grei View Post
    Alternatively, the Pokemon fandom is on a whole entirely unable to be pleased, and no matter what Game Freak does, a loud minority will always ***** about how they could have done it better. :P


    Fun with SI prefixes:

    What do you call a 2000 g. mockingbird?

    2 kilo Mockingbird

    That pun was like 1 trillion bulls: terra-bull

  25. #300

    Default

        Spoiler:- Hide:


        Spoiler:- The finale's title:


    Next week holds so much potential, but apparently we'll be seeing a looooooooooooot of corridors. Hmm.

    -The Eleventh/Rory Williams

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •