Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: The Doctor Who Club v.4

Spoiler:- Hide:

Spoiler:- next time:

Spoiler:- The Doctor's Name:

Becoming/Clara Oswin Oswald/Clara Oswald/Oswin Oswald
    ┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐

Last edited by Poetry; 21st April 2013 at 11:08 AM.
    [CYTUS]
    ICE - L
    eyemedia - Bloody Purity
    xi - FREEDOM DiVE↓

ninjanerd: Hi, and welcome! Is Doctor Who really still a sort of nerdy cult thing in America? I gathered it'd been growing in popularity in America a lot recently - I mean, you guys now get the episodes on the same day we do, when you used to be weeks or even months behind. I guess it's probably mostly just popularity with people who already have nerdy interests, though, perhaps? It'd certainly be difficult for the show to ever become as ingrained in America's culture as it is in Britain's.

Additionally, a couple of things that went on in this episode led me to thinking about stuff that isn't all that connected to this episode itself. So here are some tangential rambles, not really that relevant to Hide but will contain minor spoilers for certain things in it.

First, a theory about Clara.
        Spoiler:- Clara:

And some thoughts on what things might be like from the TARDIS's point of view sometimes, because who doesn't love dear old Sexy?
        Spoiler:- TARDIS:

Spoiler:- Next Time:

Oh, and while we're discussing the finale's title, let me give a couple more thoughts, since I was pretty brief about it last post.
        Spoiler:- The name of the finale:

-elyvorg/Amelia
    Last edited by elyvorg; 22nd April 2013 at 4:06 PM.
    .: Evolution is a battle .:. Something has to lose :.
    LOST EVOLUTION
    Chapter 33: Inside has been posted.

Foregone Conclusion
    Spinoff/prequel/backstory/thingy to Lost Evolution, written for NaNoWriMo 2010

Three Heads Are Better Than One

Quote Originally Posted by elyvorg View Post
    ninjanerd: Hi, and welcome! Is Doctor Who really still a sort of nerdy cult thing in America? I gathered it'd been growing in popularity in America a lot recently - I mean, you guys now get the episodes on the same day we do, when you used to be weeks or even months behind. I guess it's probably mostly just popularity with people who already have nerdy interests, though, perhaps? It'd certainly be difficult for the show to ever become as ingrained in America's culture as it is in Britain's.

Additionally, a couple of things that went on in this episode led me to thinking about stuff that isn't all that connected to this episode itself. So here are some tangential rambles, not really that relevant to Hide but will contain minor spoilers for certain things in it.

First, a theory about Clara.
        Spoiler:- Clara:

And some thoughts on what things might be like from the TARDIS's point of view sometimes, because who doesn't love dear old Sexy?

Oh, and while we're discussing the finale's title, let me give a couple more thoughts, since I was pretty brief about it last post.
        Spoiler:- The name of the finale:

-elyvorg/Amelia
    It's not obscure as such, it's just that the people who watch it tend to be nerdier. I won't pretend I'm not a nerd, but I absorb so much British literature and television it shouldn't be odd that I've heard about it. I haven't had a chance to watch Cold War or Hide yet, but so far, this season's been.... disappointing. The special effects of Rings were so cheesy I was embarrassed to watch it in front of my family... I've heard only good things about Hide, though, so I'm optimistic. The next episodes look promising, though. All have strong writers and I'm looking forward to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grei View Post
    Alternatively, the Pokemon fandom is on a whole entirely unable to be pleased, and no matter what Game Freak does, a loud minority will always ***** about how they could have done it better. :P

Fun with SI prefixes:

What do you call a 2000 g. mockingbird?

2 kilo Mockingbird

That pun was like 1 trillion bulls: terra-bull

Stuff about the upcoming episode: as always, there's a general gallery, and also one showing one of the monsters we'll be seeing. Then there's the usual two preview clips.

I feel like putting my thoughts on all of the above into one big spoiler this time, so...
        Spoiler:- Things about the Centre of the TARDIS:

In completely unrelated news, as yet another part of the 50th anniversary celebrations this year, they're doing a Doctor Who Prom again! It'll be on the evening of Saturday July 13th, and the morning of Sunday July 14th. I'm pretty excited just at the prospect of there being another Prom, as I always love the show's music, added to which certain information I've come across has all but indicated that this Prom will probably feature an appearance from the Doctor just like the last one did, so that'll undoubtedly be delightful and fun just like his silly non-canon appearances always are. But this time around I'm extra-excited, because I'm actually going to attempt to get myself tickets to one of them (probably the Sunday one as it's way cheaper). To actually be there as they play would be truly amazing - and if a certain someone does indeed show up, to be physically in the presence of the Doctor (technically Matt Smith acting but shush it's totally the Doctor where is your imagination) would make me the absolute happiest shameless fangirl ever. =D

It would appear they are still busy filming the 50th anniversary special; a photo of a certain two characters' footwear was put up on Twitter the other day, and that alone made me ridiculously happy to see. Possibly even more so than that picture of a certain two actors hanging out at the readthrough did; these feet are in-character feet. =D

-elyvorg/Amelia
    LOST EVOLUTION

Foregone Conclusion

Haven't posted here in a while, but I'm looking forward to the latest episode tonight, I'm hoping that they'll try and develop the relationship between Clara and the Doctor because I feel that their relation ship isn't as dynamic as past companions and almost feels a bit cold, just in my opinion though. I doubt there will be much opportunity for development as the plot device is centred about them being separated but I hope that will happen in later episodes.

Also I thought I might share this here, for the 50th Anniversary, my brother is doing this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-22280890

-The Joker./Dream Lord
    The most Superior Snivy. Left, good time here though. I loved this place.

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker. View Post
    Haven't posted here in a while, but I'm looking forward to the latest episode tonight, I'm hoping that they'll try and develop the relationship between Clara and the Doctor because I feel that their relation ship isn't as dynamic as past companions and almost feels a bit cold, just in my opinion though. I doubt there will be much opportunity for development as the plot device is centred about them being separated but I hope that will happen in later episodes.
    Oh, don't worry - I think there actually will be! Seriously; although I obviously can't say for certain and might be totally wrong, I've been getting the impression that this episode in particular is going to develop the Doctor and Clara's relationship more, in that they should hopefully both learn a lot more about each other throughout the episode, despite spending a chunk of it separated. I can kind of see where you're coming from saying that their relationship so far hasn't quite been as dynamic as a Doctor-companion partnership should be, which I think is mostly down to how they haven't quite been truthful with each other - or, well, the Doctor hasn't been entirely truthful with Clara. But I have what feel like well-founded hopes that that will finally begin to change today!

Also I thought I might share this here, for the 50th Anniversary, my brother is doing this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-22280890

-The Joker./Dream Lord
    Hee, that's really awesome of your brother, both to have a room like that and to be using it to raise money for a good cause. I hope lots of people take him up on his offer! I'm also amused at how that TARDIS of his gets hired out for weddings a lot. Of course everyone would want a TARDIS at their wedding! Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue, right? =D

~just over two hours!~

-elyvorg/Amelia
    LOST EVOLUTION

Foregone Conclusion

Well OK I suddenly don't understand anything.

I'm not even going to bother talking about the episode because my brain simply hurts too much.

Edit: OK, brain hurts a little less.
        Spoiler:- Only a little, mind:
    Last edited by Will-powered Spriter; 27th April 2013 at 10:51 PM.
    Will-Powered Spriter

Spoiler:- Quick Question About (Seemingly) Every Single Dr Who Episode Ever.:

The reason why I wasn't around the last week was because I absolutely detested Hide for the simple reason as in I had that same basic idea for a Dr. Who episode 2-4 years ago. (The only difference was it was just 1 man in 1980s Miami and the monster thing wasn't a horny demon but instead the man himself. (Basically it's 1980s Miami this man's being haunted by a ghost it turns out it's a ghost of his wife because he murdered his wife and his best friend because he misinterpreted their surprise birthday party plans for the man for an affair. Also it's a Doctor-lite episode and the man gets brought back in time to stop him from murdering them thus making everything correct. (The whole episode would've taken place in his manor house.))) Also if I did mention it I'd probably get moaned at because 11th Doctor's Jesus according to the main dude here.
    As to what once, it now is. For this my retirement tour, let us commence, forevermore, forevermore.

Spoiler:- Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS:

Spoiler:- more stuff about the finale:

EDIT: Okay so today I bought a HDMI cable. I had to play about for a while to get the right resolution on my laptop, but now I can project my laptop screen onto the TV. So I can watch new DW on the BBC iPlayer on the TV screen. Pretty neat. And seen as I can play it on the TV I can get mum to watch the latest episodes when they come out instead of waiting for them to air here (because we're like two weeks behind).

Becoming/Clara Oswin Oswald/Clara Oswald/Oswin Oswald/possible fourth incarnation of Clara Oswin Oswald
    Last edited by Becoming; 28th April 2013 at 5:00 AM.
    ┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐

Spoiler:- Journey to the Centre of Awfulness:
    Last edited by Poetry; 28th April 2013 at 9:57 AM.
    [CYTUS]
    ICE - L
    eyemedia - Bloody Purity
    xi - FREEDOM DiVE↓

...whoa, was I seriously almost the only person who thought this was a really great episode? Because this was a really great episode.

Spoiler:- Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS:

To the people who liked the episode less than they might have done because they didn't understand certain parts of the plot: I'd recommend watching it again sometime, if you want to clear some things up. Seeing it a second time makes it a lot easier to piece things together and figure out how it all worked. I truly believe that everything about the plot of the episode does make sense and is honestly pretty cleverly-plotted, even if it might be hard to grasp it all the first time around because there's a lot going on. I didn't fully understand everything until my second viewing myself.

Armando Payne, regarding Cold War's resolution, which I didn't bring up at the time of the episode because I assumed you'd figure it out yourself, but you still seem to be misunderstanding it: Clara singing Hungry Like the Wolf was not what stopped the missiles. Of course it wasn't. The missiles stopped because Skaldak decided to be merciful, like the Doctor and Clara had been persuading him to be. Clara singing was a completely separate thing - the Professor had previously suggested she sing to keep her mind off her fear, and in that moment she was terrified that she might have been about to die.

Also, Becoming, I'd like to reply to a few of the things in your episode spoiler, because you said some interesting stuff that gives me an opportunity to bring up some things I didn't get around to mentioning in my own main episode ramble.

Spoiler:- Becoming:

Oh, yes, and about that hint Jenna gave regarding the finale...
        Spoiler:- Claras:

-elyvorg/Amelia
    Last edited by elyvorg; 28th April 2013 at 5:45 PM.
    LOST EVOLUTION

Foregone Conclusion

Yeah I knew that I still believe that version's more random and so better. Also if I was going to change Cold War, the main thing I would've changed was One Of Our Submarines and Dodo/Lurker would've been on the soundtrack (because '80s and Submarines, g'doy!) instead of Vienna. I liked the epi only crap ending like every single other Dr. Who epi. OK Cold War, Random Spaceship transporting them because.

Spoiler:- Concerning Next Time Elyvorg:
    Last edited by Armando Payne; 29th April 2013 at 1:51 AM.
    As to what once, it now is. For this my retirement tour, let us commence, forevermore, forevermore.

I haven't posted much lately, because I've been an episode behind everyone for a while now... but I feel this:

Quote Originally Posted by elyvorg View Post
    Could be expanded upon:
        Spoiler:- Because she did...:
    Last edited by VampirateMace; 29th April 2013 at 2:46 AM.
    Blog: Problematic Paranormal Files | Twitter: @CleverKraken

(Psssssttt... hey, you, yah you, HOLIDAYS2014 - gets you 10% off $15+ in my shop ^ )

Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, and/or Joyous Kwanzaa!
    (Or whatever else you may celebrate.)

Quote Originally Posted by VampirateMace View Post
        Spoiler:- Because she did...:
    I'd never considered before that the voice interface saying "fish fingers and custard" could have been Sexy managing to make her voice heard. I don't personally think that can be it, though. As I talked about in my ramble that you replied to, I don't think Sexy comprehends the way the Doctor feels about his companions, so I doubt she'd understand the significance fish fingers and custard has to him, since that's very strongly connected to his attachment to Amelia. Even if she could manage to speak a few words of her own through the voice interface - which I also doubt thanks to The Doctor's Wife making it clear she can never talk to him again - that she'd specifically choose to say those words doesn't make any sense to me.

The reason I believe the voice interface told him "fish fingers and custard" was because, not too much earlier, he was asking it for "something for the pain"; I believe fish fingers and custard works like a painkiller to the Eleventh Doctor. It may sound strange, but it's the only thing I can think of that makes sense of both why the voice interface said that and why, although he was in so much pain in the TARDIS, when he showed up at the restaurant later in the episode he seemed to be fine, at least to begin with. I do not believe that he would have been able to block out that much pain through sheer mental willpower alone. And although fish fingers and custard is one weird-as-heck painkiller, if we accept that it does work like that to him, it would also explain why he was craving it shortly after regenerating, as well as why his regenerative trauma seemed to be mostly in check after he'd had some.

(Because of this, I have this little pet theory that, due to wacky Time Lord biology, every different incarnation of the Doctor has a different foodstuff that happens to work like a painkiller to him in specifically that incarnation, which he may possibly find himself craving shortly after regenerating to help fix his post-regenerative trauma. If you remember The Christmas Invasion, the Tenth Doctor spends most of the episode either comatose or struggling to articulate what exactly he needs, and then it turns out that what he needed was tea, and as soon as he's had some he's completely recovered. So tea would be the painkiller for the Tenth Doctor! This is a totally silly theory that is probably not remotely meant to be true, but I like it anyway. I'm not sure as I've never actually seen the relevant post-regeneration episode, but am I right in what I've gathered that celery could possibly work the same way for the Fifth Doctor?)

As for the voice interface first appearing as the Doctor... well. While the Doctor generally is the most superior being in the room, there's a difference between "acknowledging as superior" and "holding in high esteem". I'm aware the Doctor has been known to be genuinely pretty arrogant sometimes, but it varies between and even within incarnations. Around the time of Let's Kill Hitler, he absolutely hated himself. There is no way the voice interface chose his image because he holds himself in high esteem. Presumably the original default setting for it was simply "the same face as the person it's talking to".

But even though I don't think the TARDIS herself can actually speak through the voice interface, I still agree that her choosing Clara as the image for the voice interface in Hide could have been meant as an insult. Sexy would know that, if Clara asked, the interface would explain that it was set to select someone held in high esteem, so by choosing Clara out of all the possible people Clara likes she's still essentially giving off the message of "I think you're full of yourself", even if Sexy isn't the one saying the voice interface's words.

-elyvorg/Amelia
    LOST EVOLUTION

Foregone Conclusion

I'm sorry, but I don't buy your theroy, he was clearly still in pain. Though, I believe hearing those words from what appears to be young Amy, gave him the motivation to do stuff even though he was in pain, so in that way the words may have, in a way, been a painkiller. Like a Tae-Kwon-Do fighter shounting 'Chi' when they go to break a board. It may hurt, but if you pych yourself up a bit, it's done before you know it. Besides the offical explaination was that his tastebuds had changed, and he was looking for a food he liked, which to me, tells us Doctor 11 is a picky eater.

Personally, I think Sexy did pick those words, because she repeats them in 'The Doctor's Wife'. She may not fully understand human and timelord relationships, but she can see all of time and space.

(Psssssttt... hey, you, yah you, HOLIDAYS2014 - gets you 10% off $15+ in my shop ^ )

Spoiler:- Journey:

Spoiler:- Next Time - The Crimson 'Orror:

Spoiler:- The finale:

-The Eleventh/Rory Williams
    Last edited by The Eleventh; 29th April 2013 at 8:12 PM.

Spoiler:- journey to the centre of TARDIS:

Spoiler:- the crimson horror:

Always watching. Always waiting. Never truly at peace in a realm of its own.
    Giratina will return....someday.

Spoiler:- Journey to the Center of the TARDIS:

Unfortunately my recording got cut short, so I didn’t see the next time…

Spoiler:- Finale:

Quote Originally Posted by VampirateMace View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't buy your theroy, he was clearly still in pain. Though, I believe hearing those words from what appears to be young Amy, gave him the motivation to do stuff even though he was in pain, so in that way the words may have, in a way, been a painkiller. Like a Tae-Kwon-Do fighter shounting 'Chi' when they go to break a board. It may hurt, but if you pych yourself up a bit, it's done before you know it. Besides the offical explaination was that his tastebuds had changed, and he was looking for a food he liked, which to me, tells us Doctor 11 is a picky eater.

Personally, I think Sexy did pick those words, because she repeats them in 'The Doctor's Wife'. She may not fully understand human and timelord relationships, but she can see all of time and space.
    The Doctor really did seem to be completely fine for a couple of minutes upon first entering the restaurant. He's all waving his sonic cane around and generally being his usual daft self, and if one didn't already know he'd been poisoned then it'd have been impossible to tell. True, after a little while he does start collapsing and being visibly in pain despite clearly trying to block it out (which may be the part of the scene that you're thinking of), but I put that down to the fact that, since his body is shutting down bit by bit, after a point there's only so much a painkiller can do to help. I still do not believe he could have blocked out the pain so well through willpower alone to be able to come across like he did in the beginning of that scene, given that in the TARDIS it was so bad that he could barely move. He even stopped to change into his tailcoat, which there's no way he'd have wasted his time doing if he was only just managing to drag himself through the pain.

And that's not to say I don't agree with the idea that hearing the words "fish fingers and custard" from what he'd convinced himself was Amelia was a big help to him. I absolutely understand (and really enjoy) the concept of characters gaining an extra burst of strength when they focus on certain things; the Doctor's faith in Amelia thanks to those words definitely gave him the strength to drag himself up from the floor and fly the TARDIS. But while that may be enough for him to fight past the pain and keep going, it certainly isn't enough for him to completely hide all signs of it from the surface. Like, seriously, I almost want to believe that there was no painkiller involved and it was solely "Amelia"'s words that kept the Doctor going, because I'd find that really adorable. But I just can't buy it. It doesn't work out in my head as possible, no matter how I think about it.

Buuut that last part is something which really does come solely down to personal interpretation and the way my brain happens to see things, so if you still disagree with me by this point then I guess we're at the "agree to disagree" stage. This was an interesting discussion, though!

Spoiler:- The book in last week's episode:

Spoiler:- The Eleventh:

While trying to dig stuff up on Youtube, I found this little video with the cast discussing Clara and the TARDIS's mini-feud. It's amusing.
        Spoiler:

Let me mention some thoughts of mine about The Crimson Horror, mostly regarding a certain someone's outfit, based on one of the preview clips and a couple of other tidbits I've picked up over the week.
        Spoiler:- Crimson things:

Overall this looks like it's shaping up to be a very amusing episode. It's bound to be, given who it's got in it.

-elyvorg/Amelia
    LOST EVOLUTION

Foregone Conclusion

Agree-ing to Disagree then. BTW, I never said he acturally convinced himself the Voice Interface was Amelia...

They showed that clip during the commercials on BBC America... and my Mom thought Clara was just being paranoid.

Thanks for posting links to the previews.

Spoiler:- Soo...:

Yay, I finally got to watch an episode with the rest of my uni's society. It was great fun, everyone was making wise cracks, there was a nice discussion afterwards, then food and lastly a game of chrononauts set to the portal 2 sound track.

Oh yeah, the episode:
        Spoiler:- Red Scare:
    Will-Powered Spriter

Spoiler:- The Crimson Horror:

Spoiler:- the finale:

Becoming/Clara Oswin Oswald/Clara Oswin/Oswin Oswald/fourth incarnation of Clara that I'm sure is appearing in the finale
    ┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐

Spoiler:- The Horrors... of YORKSHIRE:
    [CYTUS]
    ICE - L
    eyemedia - Bloody Purity
    xi - FREEDOM DiVE↓

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast