Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: The Doctor Who Club v.4

Why do you like Doctor Who?
    I really love the battles that the doctor getts himself into. The tech is also amazing. I love how you can get a reall feel for the characters and worry about them. With so many shows like this you cant do that. I really loved the latest episode the name of the doctor but some more of my faves are an unearthly child and the edge of distruction.
    (sorry this is so bad but I never really thaught why I like it T.T)
    Who's your favourite Doctor?
    Either matt smith tom baker or 1st doctor
    Desired character title?
    All taken sorry Y.Y

Ps im really sorry I didnt do this befor I posted for the first time. I didnt read the 1st post. Please dont hate me for that

Agression, Destruction.
    Meowstic is officially mine!

Credit to SM

Spoiler:- Spoiler-y stuff:

Spoiler:- ...:
    The most Superior Snivy. Left, good time here though. I loved this place.

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry View Post
    To those with questions, I've done a bit of research and...

Spoiler:- If you've seen The Name of the Doctor:

But it's still not enough. For the love of god, give me answers!
    Mind explodes.

Spoiler:

Also
        Spoiler:
    Last edited by C.y.a.n; 18th May 2013 at 10:49 PM.

FCs:
    Black- 1550 5635 4578. White 2- 0992 2115 3932
    3DS: 5386 7832 8719

Why is everybody wanting to find out who CLARA is? The whole point of Series 7 is the whole hype of the Doctor's name.

Spoiler:- Anyway, tonight's episode.:

I refuse to do anything else on November 23rd. Only, and only, Doctor Who.

~Green Blockhead / The Cyber King

EDIT: I just realised I'm no longer in the club... I DID sign up ages ago.
    Last edited by Green Blockhead; 18th May 2013 at 11:14 PM.

3DS Friend Code: 2337-4608-0376
    Most Recent Shiny: - 868 eggs | Current Hunt:

A place no one should go. A thing no one should hear. An abomination to the universe itself, Eurovision is on at 8. But first, the doctor who finale:
        Spoiler:- The Name of the Doctor:

And now we wait. 6 months of waiting. At least XY will be out in the meantime, and I imagine my favourite webcomic will come out of hiatus before then as well, so I won't be bored.

I watched Eurovision with DocSoc as well. Everyone was insisting on using contrived sci-fi explanations for what the hell was going on. Also one of the acts was apparently the master.
    Will-Powered Spriter

I like it because there really isn't a limit on a certain episodes story. They aren't bound by reality in the sence that if they want something to be able to something specific they can just let them. I also like the fact that the special effects, they really don't look like most special effects today and it fits the show perfectly.
    Who’s your favourite Doctor?
    My favorite Doctor is probably a tie between the 10th and the 11 Doctor. I love David Tennant as an actor, and his stage preformances are always amazing, and as a Doctor he is funny, creepy, crazy, and overall one of the better doctors. I also love the 11th doctor becuase he has fleshed out the character of the Doctor so well since he has held the spot.
    Desired character title?
    If possible John Hurt. Would explain reasoning but I'm pretty sure that would contain spoilers about the newest episode so I'm just going to not put anything about him really (no that there is much info anyway).

anyway, just finished "The Name of the Doctor" and it is probably one of my favorite episdoes. I really can't wait for the new special and the new series to start.
    THIS IS FOR MY NINTENDO 3DS HANDHELD SYSTEM 2664-2984-6619
    THIS IS FOR MY POKEMON WHITE VIDEO GAME Mike-0218-6703-3716

Spoiler:- next time:

cyber-leader/fitzy909

Always watching. Always waiting. Never truly at peace in a realm of its own.
    Giratina will return....someday.

November 23rd, hurry up! As it turns out that's right in the middle of exams. It's a weekend, so I don't have an exam that day, but I don't think I'll be able to study for physics the day after! I'll be too excited!

Spoiler:- and concerning my character title:

Becoming/Clara Oswald/Oswin Oswald/Clara Oswin Oswald/    Spoiler:- the rest of my character title:
    Last edited by Becoming; 19th May 2013 at 12:04 PM.
    ┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐

3DS FC: 3883-4931-5047
    X IGN: Sqeen
    OR IGN: Terra

Whoa, you guys. Just whoa. Last I knew we were just beginning Page 19 of this club; now we're suddenly on Page 20! What happened?

...well, I guess this episode happened. =D

Actually, having now read everyone's posts, I feel like the page went by so fast partly because one or two of you got a little bit one-linery in your excitement. This is just a friendly warning to be careful about that; one-liners are against the Clubs forum rules, after all. I mean, those of you who posted solely to express your excitement about the ending of the episode - yes, that was exciting, but what about the rest of the episode? Wasn't that also pretty awesome? I'd love to have seen your thoughts on that, too!

epicjirachifan: Eh. As your posts before you realised you had to fill in the form were some of the worryingly one-linery ones, I'd like a little bit more reassurance that you are capable of making decently meaty posts before I let you in. So could you possibly add a few more lines than that? Even if you've never done this kind of thing before, I'm sure there's a lot more you could think of to say if you put your mind to it. As the joining form says, don't just tell me that those episodes are some of your favourites; tell me why! What is it about those episodes that makes you like them so much?

Green Blockhead: Don't worry, you weren't kicked out; the club had to be restarted and I didn't carry over the members list. If you want to keep participating in the club, would you mind filling in the joining form again?

the3rdH0kage: Okay, that's just about enough now. Welcome! I... can't let you have that character, I'm afraid. For one thing, "John Hurt" is just the actor who plays him and not a name he has in-universe so therefore isn't something I'd put as a title; for the rest of the reasons why, see my reply to C.y.a.n at the bottom of this post, as he was trying to claim the same thing.

Apparently, there genuinely was no spoiler leakage all week, from any of the 210 people who accidentally recieved DVDs early. Huh. I got the impression that some people had been able to massively spoil themselves if they'd wanted to, but... seemingly not? In which case I very much respect those 210 people, not because I was necessarily ever in that much danger of being spoiled myself, but just for them being decent people who didn't want to ruin anyone else's enjoyment.

So... that episode was quite a thing. I was always pretty certain it'd end up being my favourite episode of this half-series, and I was right.

And, somewhat separate from the rest of the episode, some speculation and thoughts about the thing. You know, that one thing that everyone's going crazy over.

Spoiler:- The future:

aaaaagh why must November 23rd be over six months away. :< This story isn't finished yet!

Quote Originally Posted by C.y.a.n View Post
    Name change request to:

Spoiler:

Thank you!
        Spoiler:- The big spoilery thing:

Becoming, about your character title... um... I'm just going to say that they're all the same for the purposes of this. Congratulations; you are now a soufflé recipe. ;]

~six months and four days! ...oh god this countdown is depressingly long.

-elyvorg/Amelia
    .: Evolution is a battle .:. Something has to lose :.
    LOST EVOLUTION
    Chapter 33: Inside has been posted.

Foregone Conclusion
    Spinoff/prequel/backstory/thingy to Lost Evolution, written for NaNoWriMo 2010

Three Heads Are Better Than One

Quote Originally Posted by Becoming View Post
    November 23rd, hurry up! As it turns out that's right in the middle of exams. It's a weekend, so I don't have an exam that day, but I don't think I'll be able to study for physics the day after! I'll be too excited!

Spoiler:- and concerning my character title:

Becoming/Clara Oswald/Oswin Oswald/Clara Oswin Oswald/    Spoiler:- the rest of my character title:
    Quote Originally Posted by elyvorg View Post
    Whoa, you guys. Just whoa. Last I knew we were just beginning Page 19 of this club; now we're suddenly on Page 20! What happened?

...well, I guess this episode happened. =D

Actually, having now read everyone's posts, I feel like the page went by so fast partly because one or two of you got a little bit one-linery in your excitement. This is just a friendly warning to be careful about that; one-liners are against the Clubs forum rules, after all. I mean, those of you who posted solely to express your excitement about the ending of the episode - yes, that was exciting, but what about the rest of the episode? Wasn't that also pretty awesome? I'd love to have seen your thoughts on that, too!

epicjirachifan: Eh. As your posts before you realised you had to fill in the form were some of the worryingly one-linery ones, I'd like a little bit more reassurance that you are capable of making decently meaty posts before I let you in. So could you possibly add a few more lines than that? Even if you've never done this kind of thing before, I'm sure there's a lot more you could think of to say if you put your mind to it. As the joining form says, don't just tell me that those episodes are some of your favourites; tell me why! What is it about those episodes that makes you like them so much?

Green Blockhead: Don't worry, you weren't kicked out; the club had to be restarted and I didn't carry over the members list. If you want to keep participating in the club, would you mind filling in the joining form again?

the3rdH0kage: Okay, that's just about enough now. Welcome! I... can't let you have that character, I'm afraid. For one thing, "John Hurt" is just the actor who plays him and not a name he has in-universe so therefore isn't something I'd put as a title; for the rest of the reasons why, see my reply to C.y.a.n at the bottom of this post, as he was trying to claim the same thing.

Apparently, there genuinely was no spoiler leakage all week, from any of the 210 people who accidentally recieved DVDs early. Huh. I got the impression that some people had been able to massively spoil themselves if they'd wanted to, but... seemingly not? In which case I very much respect those 210 people, not because I was necessarily ever in that much danger of being spoiled myself, but just for them being decent people who didn't want to ruin anyone else's enjoyment.

So... that episode was quite a thing. I was always pretty certain it'd end up being my favourite episode of this half-series, and I was right.

And, somewhat separate from the rest of the episode, some speculation and thoughts about the thing. You know, that one thing that everyone's going crazy over.

Spoiler:- The future:

aaaaagh why must November 23rd be over six months away. :< This story isn't finished yet!

Spoiler:- The big spoilery thing:

Becoming, about your character title... um... I'm just going to say that they're all the same for the purposes of this. Congratulations; you are now a soufflé recipe. ;]

~six months and four days! ...oh god this countdown is depressingly long.

-elyvorg/Amelia
    Ok, bit lost, thought you weren't aloud be the Doctor since nobody has the title, If. It is free, I'll just love be the Doctor

FCs:
    Black- 1550 5635 4578. White 2- 0992 2115 3932
    3DS: 5386 7832 8719

Spoiler:- Name:
    Blog: Problematic Paranormal Files | Twitter: @CleverKraken

(Psssssttt... hey, you, yah you, HOLIDAYS2014 - gets you 10% off $15+ in my shop ^ )

Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, and/or Joyous Kwanzaa!
    (Or whatever else you may celebrate.)

I was introduced to the series as a kid and have continued to love it to today. The 50th Anniversary is going to be big, emotional and epic and I can't wait for it.
    Ten. Ten will forever be my favorite Doctor. Matt is brilliant too, but for me, Tennant is THE Doctor.
    Desired character title?
    The Cyber King

I've been in this club before, I wasn't aware of the "reset".

(Just a question, I know someone will take the character as soon as I say this, but how come no one has claimed The Doctor himself? xD)

I apologise for my hiatus.

Spoiler:- Theory:

If anyone hasn't seen this, it's an interview with Matt Smith and David Tennant on the 50th. This was released as a 'reward' for the lack of spoilers for the end of the episode.

EDIT: Here's a helpful time-line of River and the Doctor.
    Last edited by Crasher; 24th May 2013 at 2:28 AM.

C.y.a.n., keep the "no one-liners" rule in mind when posting in the Clubs section. I'm glad you're contributing, and it can be hard to include more when you're intending to reply only to a previous point, but it's a thing, so.

Thanks for wanting to join again, Green Blockhead, but unfortunately, you'll need to post more with your joining form. Since you've been a member before, I'm sure you can manage it. :)

I just watched the BBC Three repeat, so while the episode is fresh in my mind...

While the following part of the post is TNotD-related, I think it works better separately.

Spoiler:- The Fields of Trenzalore:

-The Eleventh/Rory Williams

I don't really know if this counts as a spoiler or not but I'll be on the safe side...

Spoiler:- so if you haven't heard:

Becoming/Clara (Oswin) Oswald
    ┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐

Well, after the muddling and confusing bundle of excitement that was The Name of the Doctor, we have another piece of news that at least means that the 50th and the Christmas specials will really be something special.

(Even if it is just news, I'm going to put it in a spoiler tag anyway).

Spoiler:- :
    Last edited by Poetry; 2nd June 2013 at 9:50 AM.
    [CYTUS]
    ICE - L
    eyemedia - Bloody Purity
    xi - FREEDOM DiVE↓

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry View Post
        Spoiler:- :
        Spoiler:- Speculation:
    Blog: Problematic Paranormal Files | Twitter: @CleverKraken

(Psssssttt... hey, you, yah you, HOLIDAYS2014 - gets you 10% off $15+ in my shop ^ )

Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, and/or Joyous Kwanzaa!
    (Or whatever else you may celebrate.)

Considering it's everywhere and it'd be silly to have to keep every mention of it in spoilers until a week after the Christmas Special, I think it's all right to speak openly about it.

No, Matt, don't leave! When I heard the news of an impending announcement yesterday evening, I knew it'd be Matt's departure. There had been signs of it for a while now and we were aware it was on the horizon, but I didn't think it'd be so soon. I was so hoping for at least one more series with Matt as the Doctor. It's difficult to believe that only two episodes remain until the Eleventh Doctor's era ends. The series we just watched was Matt's final series. That's really strange. I'm incredibly disappointed, because he's been the most magnificent Doctor over the past three-and-a-half years and I feel he could give so much more. At least we were lucky enough to have him as the Doctor, and he wanted to move on, so that's OK. I'm also somewhat glad that Eleven's time will be remembered with the Ponds in mind, since they played such a significant role in his life. I found myself thinking a while back that it couldn't have been easy for Matt to continue without Karen and Arthur. I'm not saying that's why he left, but I wouldn't be surprised if it contributed in some way.

It's fortunate that Jenna is definitely staying. It's sad that we only got eleven episodes of her and Matt on-screen together (and but ten with her as Clara Oswald), but seeing her with another Doctor will be fun. Why do I already foresee her leaving after Series 8? :/

On a more positive note, we'll have a new Doctor by the end of the year to look forward to! I'm slightly ambivalent towards this time of change. The uncertainty is a fresh feeling, but having to endure the tabloid reports regarding bookies' odds, David Tennant returning to the role, female Doctors (Catherine Tate, really?) and big-name stars is not very pleasing. I wouldn't mind a female Doctor (though I'd honestly prefer a male for the television series), but I hate how the notion is dragged up as if everyone's going to be disappointed when there isn't a woman playing the Doctor.

If John Hurt turns out to be a proper incarnation of the Doctor that used up a regeneration, then we're looking at what's possibly the Doctor's final regeneration. Somehow, I feel Steven Moffat's heading towards solving the conundrum of the thirteen-lives rule. I can see him wanting to tackle it, then giving up the executive producer role. This'll be interesting. I'm intrigued as to what Moffat has in mind for another incarnation of the Doctor. Will he (oh, fine—or she) be similar to Eleven, or the polar opposite? Exciting times.

Last edited by The Eleventh; 2nd June 2013 at 9:38 PM.

i like matt smith and i don't want to see him go. He has definitely filled the role well. he can be funny, sinister and awesome all at the same time. he made bow ties and fezes cool. i'm glad we got to see him in all his glory and he had a good run with the ponds. i guess everyone needs a change of pace eventually, it's too bad he wants to leave now. I'm a little disappointed that the most recent episodes aren't at the highest standard they've ever been, but we can expect great things from the 50th special and the christmas special. i just hope that his regeneration story is fitting if someone as awesome as him. (i'm hoping for daleks)

as for the new doctor, i hope it is someone fitting. it won't be a returning role and probably not someone who has already been on the show. i wouldn't mind a woman, so long as they are as good as matt. i really just want someone who brings something fresh and is still keeping to the old ideas about how the doctor should be. They will need to be good as they have some big shoes (and even bigger fezes) to fill.

also, the doctor can regenerate 13 times, correct? doesn't that mean we get 14 doctors, as the first one was born not regenerated? just wondering...

fitzy909/Cyber-Leader

Always watching. Always waiting. Never truly at peace in a realm of its own.
    Giratina will return....someday.

Quote Originally Posted by fitzy909 View Post
    also, the doctor can regenerate 13 times, correct? doesn't that mean we get 14 doctors, as the first one was born not regenerated? just wondering...
    According to episodes in the Classic Series, Time Lords can regenerate twelves times, which equates to thirteen incarnations. This limitation has yet to be brought up in the New Series, though there was the Doctor's comment about having five-hundred-and-seven regenerations in Death of the Doctor, which was (probably) made in jest. Whether this is a biological limit or something implemented by the Time Lords—perhaps even both—is unclear.

I somewhat doubt a few lines from the '70s are going to bring about the cancellation of a highly successful programme, especially one so popular in the USA. Considering that the Master was granted additional regenerations in the Classic Series, I believe that the limit was controlled by the Time Lords. Moffat will easily think of a way of circumventing the rule.

I'm quite excited, really, which is weird because I like Eleven more or less the same amount as I did Ten, but I was sad to see Ten leave. I am somewhat sad that Matt is leaving, but honestly the excitement of a new Doctor overpowers that. I also enjoy that Clara is going to be a transitional companion; it's been a while since we've had one of those.

It's interesting that a few weeks ago Matt claimed that he was going to finish the Christmas Special and then begin Series 8. I wonder what's going on there.

It's also interesting that they announced this shortly after (Name of the Doctor spoiler)

Spoiler:- Spoilers!:

Incidentally, I've been re-watching some 9th Doctor episodes. I remembered Boom Town as a fairly mediocre episode, but I really enjoyed it and recommend a re-watch of it. There's some nice stuff in there about the morality of execution and sheds some light on the Doctor's role in the Time War, and the episode is very, very funny. I really like the group dynamic and Mickey is an excellent prism through which to view Rose's development since 'Rose' (which is also an excellent episode). Some lines between the Doctor and Jack are particularly good. I had forgotten how good Jack was.

Now comes the endless onslaught of speculation on who the next Doctor will be, and whether they'll be a black ginger woman. I'd like to see an older Doctor this time; my current placeholder for Twelve in my head is Hugh Laurie, whom I'd love to see in the role.
    Last edited by Crasher; 3rd June 2013 at 10:39 PM.

I'm sad to see Matt go, but in my mind he really left with Karen and Arthur. Also, based on the fact that the BBC stopped making Doctor Who Confidential (which I enjoyed watching after an episode) I doubt Matt and Jenna got on well together, and they definitely didn't have that special thing that Smillan has. Moments like Charlie the beaver and whhen Matt wrote on Karen's chair (you'll probably be able to find them on Youtube) which made Matt enjoy filming musn't happen with Jenna. So I guess Matt left because he didn't find filming as fun as it was with Karen and Arthur, which I accept even though he's my favourite Doctor and the first one I've payed attention to (I was aware of the show when Tennant starred, but I chose not to watch it) because I don't enjoy watching him with Clara (who is too perfect at everything apart from making souffles to be taken seriously) as she brings out his more serious side, instead of the bouncy, fun and magnificently mad Eleventh Doctor we see with Amy. I would've loved it if Karen hadn't decided to leave Doctor Who to pursue a modelling career because it all happened so quickly - her departure was just written in, and it delayed the rest of the series while auditions for the next companion were taking place. I have a feeling that if Karen hadn't left so soon, Matt wouldn't've either. But I'll always remember Matt's Doctor's time with Amy, not Clara.

Ponymon / The TARDIS
    3DS FC: 3883-4931-5047
    X IGN: Sqeen
    OR IGN: Terra

Third time's the charm.

When I was 7 or 8, series three was about to start and I was seeing a lot of trailers for the first episode of that series. That's when my dad sort of introduced me to Doctor Who. I instantly grew fond of David Tennant, and I was constantly on the Doctor Who website, playing games, Comic Maker and all sorts. I collected the 5" figure scale, I have an on-going subscription to the Doctor Who Adventures magazine, and to this day I have been a Whovian for nearly all of my childhood.

As for why I like Doctor Who... well, I live in Britain and it's one of the biggest TV shows that the country has to offer. It's pretty much the only TV series I actually watch. And who doesn't like Sci-Fi? Time, space, monsters, aliens, the fun parts of TV and film. I also like the whole "different actor" scenario. Also the iconic aliens and monsters, such as the Daleks and Cybermen. It also manages to be a somewhat scary TV show with those aliens, no wonder the "behind the sofa" joke has recurred throughout the show's existence. As a guy who likes computers and is fascinated by science, physics and nerdy, geeky things, it's just perfect.
    Ten. Ten will forever be my favorite Doctor. When he regenerated and Matt came into the scene, I shouted NOOO for the duration of his regeneration, because I literally loved him as the Doctor. To me, Tennant is THE Doctor. Though now I really like Matt too, and I like Jon Pertwee after my parents and stuff, watching the original Doctor Who in the 60's or 70's.
    Desired character title?
    The Cyber King

Hopefully I did better this time.
    Last edited by Green Blockhead; 6th June 2013 at 11:44 PM.

Hi guys! Sorry I haven't been posting for the past few weeks; I've been all wrapped up in exams. Now that they're over, though, it's time I made up for my lack of posting with a ridiculously long post full of everything I wanted to mention over the last few weeks. Some of this will be stuff I typed up a couple of weeks ago but didn't get around to posting, while the rest will be my more recent thoughts, mostly in reaction to... you know. The news.

Also, first:
    The Green Blockhead: Third time is indeed the charm; that's plenty enough now. Welcome back!

...oh, yeah, and about character titles. Well. C.y.a.n., you can be the Doctor if you really want to, since there's no rule against claiming him and no-one else has yet. I imagine the reason that no-one else has claimed him is because no-one really feels worthy of having him as a character title - so I'd just like to ask before I add your claim to the list: are you sure you want to be the Doctor?

--

For some reason, which probably has a lot to do with The Name of the Doctor, I've recently been gripped with the urge to watch a bunch of Classic series episodes. So I've watched Terror of the Zygons, Pyramids of Mars, Castrovalva and Genesis of the Daleks, all just this week, and I intend to watch more whenever I get the time, focusing either on ones I've heard good things about or those with significant events such as companions joining/leaving or regenerations. It only seems appropriate in this year of the 50th anniversary that I get to grips with some of the Doctor's past adventures and old friends. The one I enjoyed most out of the ones mentioned here was Castrovalva; being the Fifth Doctor's post-regeneration episode, it meant his companions had to look after him and take initiative for themselves, which was nice, and then there was a neat sci-fi concept for the plot once it kicked in. I definitely plan to watch more Fifth Doctor episodes.

In general it is kind of odd watching Classic serials when I'm so used to the new series, though, because they can often be really slow-paced to start off with. Once things get going they're always very enjoyable, but I'm often left thinking they could have condensed the content of the first two or three episodes into about fifteen minutes and just got on with the story much quicker.

(This was typed up weeks ago, but then last night I also watched The Time Warrior, which was fun. It was Sarah Jane's first episode, and she did a bunch of awesome things in it for it being her first time time-travelling. No wonder people grew to like her so much.)

Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    I do find it interesting that the Doctor's tomb had the current desktop theme. Perhaps it had sensed which theme he was on and changed to prevent spoilers, because surely this can't be the last desktop theme. Was it stated to be dead, or dying? Because if it had been stated to be dead, it has some interesting implications.
    I'm not sure it was made entirely clear, but I got the impression the giant TARDIS was only dying and not dead, as the telepathic circuits were working enough to reawaken Clara's memories.

It is interesting that she had the same desktop theme as the current one. I'm not sure that's necessarily because she'd changed it back, though - as I brought up in my own big spoiler about the episode, certain things seem to be indicating that, as things stand right now, it's the Eleventh Doctor who dies on Trenzalore. Also in support of this, I noticed something: when the TARDIS crash-lands on Trenzalore, she gets a broken window - and the giant TARDIS tomb also has that exact same window broken in the exact same way. We know how much the Doctor looks after her; he'd fix that up the moment he got a breather in between adventures that allowed him to do so. Which implies that both the Doctor and the TARDIS are supposed to die in this battle on Trenzalore in their really quite near future.

^Yeah, so this part was also typed up a while before hearing the news. More on its probable significance in response to the news.

Well. It's that time again - that time that comes around once every four years or so and turns every Doctor Who fan's world upside-down. (Or is that just me being melodramatic? It might be.)

I didn't think this would happen quite so soon. I'd sort of accepted and become okay with the fact that it'd probably be happening sometime in the not-so-distant future, but I'm sure there'd been some kind of official confirmation that Matt was going to be in series 8, hadn't there? So to learn that he wasn't actually going to be was a bit of a shock.

But regardless of the timings, this news is still just... aaa. Four years is such a long time! It feels like the Eleventh Doctor has been around forever. I've got so comfortably used to him being the Doctor, and thinking about him with all his mannerisms and quirks and psychological issues. It's going to be quite a thing to have to put that aside, move on and get to know an entirely new Doctor.

However. I am not worried. Last time I heard the news that the current Doctor would be regenerating, it kind of tore my world apart. The Tenth Doctor was also the best Doctor ever, and back then I really did not know if I would ever like another Doctor as much. This time, however, I do know. What with The Name of the Doctor firmly establishing that no matter what face he wears, he's still the Doctor, and with the Classic series episodes I've been watching, and, heck, just the fact that the Tenth-Eleventh transition went as smoothly for me as it possibly could have done... I just know that the Eleventh-Twelfth change is going to be equally fine. The Twelfth Doctor will still be the Doctor, just an entirely new, exciting, interesting version of him. What's not to look forward to?

Due to this reassurance, my initial reaction upon first reading the news was instead a very in-universe kind of reaction: a sort of "aww, poor Doctor" at the thought that he's going to die soon. (Well, not exactly die, but the Tenth Doctor viewed regeneration a lot like death, and I have a feeling the Eleventh will too.) Presumably this is what the Fall of the Eleventh really was talking about after all. In that interview with Matt giving his thoughts on leaving, he does say that Trenzalore calls, so I imagine that's how this is going to happen. It is interesting, though, that as things currently stand in-universe, it appears that the Doctor is destined to actually die in this battle on Trenzalore, what with his grave and Clara only seeing eleven versions of him in his timestream and everything. So the Doctor is going to arrive on Trenzalore for this battle while fully believing that it's going to outright kill him. D: And then presumably something will happen to change time so that he only has to regenerate rather than permanently die. Perhaps that'll be Clara's doing? I can just see her making a habit of screwing around with time in order to save the Doctor as best she can, never mind the consequences. Or perhaps it'll be the Doctor himself who'll manage to come up with a last minute jammy escape plan to avoid his seemingly-inevitable permanent death, since he has considerable history of doing so (Remember Silencio, and the Big Bang Two?) - except this time it won't quite be enough to save him from regenerating.

As for exactly why the Doctor will have to go to Trenzalore even though he knows it'll kill him, that crack in the TARDIS window I mentioned earlier in my post would presumably give him little choice. He'll have to go there before he fixes the window, unless he wants to cause a paradox. But then this could theoretically lead to the Doctor, being aware of this, deliberately not fixing the window and just going about his usual adventuring business anyway with the vague intention of eventually getting around to Trenzalore sometime in the future but not yet. He's done this kind of thing before, both in his current and his previous incarnation, after all. Time is not the boss of you - rule 408. I hope he doesn't run away for too long this time, though, largely because if he decides to make it centuries like he did last time then that'll mean he won't be with Clara for the majority of the time, and that should never happen. Though actually Clara's presence makes me feel it's less likely he'll run away from his death this time, because he won't have to face it alone.

In general I am very glad that Clara will be around for this transition. (She will, right? I believe Jenna has been confirmed to be in series 8, but then I thought Matt had been confirmed to be in series 8, so I'm slightly hesitant to believe what I thought I knew right now.) This is partly from an out-universe perspective, in that hopefully having a familiar face around will help make the transition to the Twelfth Doctor smoother for us fans, but largely it's also from an in-universe perspective. Over this past half-series and particularly in the finale, Clara's role towards the Doctor has very much evolved into her looking after him whenever he's vulnerable and afraid. (This is something I may possibly write an unnecessarily-long elyvorgramble about at some point.) And the Doctor is going to be so scared going to Trenzalore and facing what he's sure will be his death; having Clara be there for him will be an immense help. Not only that, but Clara is now the one companion who is the most completely used to the fact that the Doctor sometimes changes his face but is still ultimately the same man. She'll be barely fased at all by his change and will just be able to look after the Twelfth Doctor and help him through his regeneration trauma better than probably anyone else could. Not to mention that having Clara there in his earliest moments, when his personality's still forming, is going to lead to the Twelfth Doctor forming around her and becoming - well, I'd say even more adorably attached to Clara than he already is, but I'm not sure that's possible (...though I welcome him to try!). He's certainly going to remain at least as adorably attached to her as he already is, just in a slightly different way. Because I definitely haven't mentioned enough yet how adorable the Doctor and Clara are.

Also a thing I'm interested in is what kind of personality the Twelfth Doctor is going to have. I've read a theory somewhere that says that each new incarnation of the Doctor forms a personality that's best suited for dealing with some of the flaws that his previous personality had. So, for example, one of the contributing factors to the Tenth Doctor's downfall was the fact that he could be a little bit too arrogant at times - therefore, the Eleventh Doctor became a lot more noticeably, openly self-loathing than he used to be. Or there's the fact that the Tenth Doctor was one of the more outwardly emotional Doctors - as such, the Eleventh Doctor became someone who tries (though doesn't always succeed) to hide his emotions behind silliness and jokes a lot of the time. So I'll be interested to see more evidence of if this theory is actually a thing and how the Eleventh Doctor's current issues might influence how his next incarnation turns out. One of the things that has most defined the Eleventh Doctor recently, for me, is his utter inability to cope with loss, and change, and endings. But I don't really know how this could be resolved in the Twelfth Doctor's personality, if it is indeed a thing.

As for who'll actually be cast as the Twelfth Doctor - I really honestly don't mind who it turns out to be, because I have absolute faith that Steven Moffat will choose whoever is able to most brilliantly portray the new Doctor that he's creating. I do sort of hope it'll be someone I haven't heard of before (remember when we all had no clue who this "Matt Smith" guy was?), just so that I won't judge him based on anything else before seeing him as the Doctor. And one thing I do definitely hope to see in this person, something which isn't correlated to ability, is that he'll appreciate how the Doctor is the best character in the world and really get into the show and have loads of fun with the role like Matt and David did. Chris played a great Doctor, don't get me wrong, but it always makes me slightly sad to think how he saw it as basically just another job.

(also we are all going to be so amused if he's ginger aren't we)

...and yes, I know I've said "he", but that doesn't mean I'm opposed to the idea of it being a female Doctor. I would be open-minded about that if it were to happen - but I'm still kind of hoping he remains male just because it would make the transition smoother and the new Doctor easier to get used to.

So yeah. This is happening. I am already feeling incredibly sentimental about this, so expect many sappy posts from me about how amazing the Eleventh Doctor's run has been as we near the end of it. It happened last time with the Tenth Doctor; I see no reason why I shouldn't do it again.

And if there was anything that could make me less eager for it to be November 23rd right now, it's this. Not that I'm not itching to see the special, but I don't want to wish the Eleventh Doctor's time to be over so soon.

-elyvorg/Amelia
    .: Evolution is a battle .:. Something has to lose :.
    LOST EVOLUTION
    Chapter 33: Inside has been posted.

Foregone Conclusion
    Spinoff/prequel/backstory/thingy to Lost Evolution, written for NaNoWriMo 2010

Three Heads Are Better Than One

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast