Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 425 of 641

Thread: The Doctor Who Club v.4

  1. #401
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Internet
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elyvorg View Post
    Also, first: The Green Blockhead: Third time is indeed the charm; that's plenty enough now. Welcome back!
    Thank you! Though next time you should ideally carry over the member lists, unless I missed a rule on SPPf that disallows it...

    Quote Originally Posted by elyvorg View Post
    ...oh, yeah, and about character titles. Well. C.y.a.n., you can be the Doctor if you really want to, since there's no rule against claiming him and no-one else has yet. I imagine the reason that no-one else has claimed him is because no-one really feels worthy of having him as a character title - so I'd just like to ask before I add your claim to the list: are you sure you want to be the Doctor?
    Yeah that's what I thought too. It's a question of "Do I deserve it?". I think the only reason anyone would want to take The Doctor is for bragging rights, really.

    To be honest, I think you or The Eleventh should be Doctor since you're the club leaders. Or maybe disallow taking him entirely. OR allow different incarnations to be claimed, because even though they're the same person, they have different personalities and characteristics which makes them significantly different. But that's just me speaking aloud.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ponymon View Post
    I'm sad to see Matt go, but in my mind he really left with Karen and Arthur. Also, based on the fact that the BBC stopped making Doctor Who Confidential (which I enjoyed watching after an episode) I doubt Matt and Jenna got on well together, and they definitely didn't have that special thing that Smillan has. Moments like Charlie the beaver and whhen Matt wrote on Karen's chair (you'll probably be able to find them on Youtube) which made Matt enjoy filming musn't happen with Jenna. So I guess Matt left because he didn't find filming as fun as it was with Karen and Arthur, which I accept even though he's my favourite Doctor and the first one I've payed attention to (I was aware of the show when Tennant starred, but I chose not to watch it) because I don't enjoy watching him with Clara (who is too perfect at everything apart from making souffles to be taken seriously) as she brings out his more serious side, instead of the bouncy, fun and magnificently mad Eleventh Doctor we see with Amy. I would've loved it if Karen hadn't decided to leave Doctor Who to pursue a modelling career because it all happened so quickly - her departure was just written in, and it delayed the rest of the series while auditions for the next companion were taking place. I have a feeling that if Karen hadn't left so soon, Matt wouldn't've either. But I'll always remember Matt's Doctor's time with Amy, not Clara.

    Ponymon / The TARDIS
    That's rather interesting, because I've seen Eleven grow attatched to Clara more than Amy or Rory. And by that I mean he has feelings for her. I dare say it may even develop into a possible romance. *shot* Hearing that Matt doesn't get on with Jenna is sort of redundant by this, because the Doctor seems to be so attatched to her.

    Anyway, the recent things:

        Spoiler:- Name of The Doctor:


    Then there's Matt's departure. I was in Canada, scrolling down my Facebook wall when I saw the Doctor Who page post a picture of the Doctor and Clara lying head-to-head. They said there's
    an important Doctor Who announcement to be announced tomorrow. Thankfully it was already time for them and I googled "Doctor Who" so I could get the latest news. Matt Smith to leave
    Doctor Who.

    My first thought was "Wasn't he confirmed for Series 8?" Well, I figured that he'll leave in the way that Sylvester McCoy did - he'll do the 50th, Christmas Special, then regenerate in the
    series 8 premiere.

    It will be sad to see Matt's departure, he's been such a unique Doctor in terms of putting up a humerous, totally mad character despite his build-up to his last regenerations.

    And here's a wacky idea I've kept to myself for a while: in the 50th Anniversary the Doctor should get some sort of power-up transformation, like a Super Saiyan or Super-Form from the Sonic series. Not a directly obvious rip-off, but he'd be able to fly through time, making him somewhat unique. Then an epic battle should occur either in the ruins of Gallifrey or above Earth, where he fights John Hurt OR some other big foe.

    Also, in the run-up to the 50th Anniversary, I have an idea for a challenge people could do. Who can watch all classic episodes (William Hartnell to Paul McGann) until the 50th deadline? If I bother to watch it, I bet I could... so can you!


    - Green Blockhead
    The Cyber King
    Last edited by Green Blockhead; 7th June 2013 at 3:55 PM.

    3DS Friend Code: 2337-4608-0376
    Most Recent Shiny: - 868 eggs | Current Hunt:

  2. #402
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    The internet is my tree.
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Blockhead View Post
    Thank you! Though next time you should ideally carry over the member lists, unless I missed a rule on SPPf that disallows it...
    I don't believe there's a rule against it. I just did it the way I did because the previous members list had become pretty huge, and the majority of the people on it weren't active any more. You reappeared, and a few others have, but not many. It was easier to just start afresh and make a new members list with the people who would - at least for a while - be active, whether they were part of the old club or not. Plus it seemed better to let the claiming thing restart from a blank slate, since most of the major characters had already been taken by people, most of whom had since become inactive.

    Perhaps if I ever restart the club again, though I'll still want to restart the members' list, I could make it so that everyone who was in the old club doesn't need to re-fill the form to rejoin; they just have to start posting again and I'll re-add them. That's something to think about. (...if I ever have to restart the club, which I'm hoping won't happen again.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Blockhead View Post
    Yeah that's what I thought too. It's a question of "Do I deserve it?". I think the only reason anyone would want to take The Doctor is for bragging rights, really.

    To be honest, I think you or The Eleventh should be Doctor since you're the club leaders. Or maybe disallow taking him entirely. OR allow different incarnations to be claimed, because even though they're the same person, they have different personalities and characteristics which makes them significantly different. But that's just me speaking aloud.
    Heh. I kind of half-expected The Eleventh to claim the Doctor when he joined, what with his username, but I imagine he probably didn't for the same reason I didn't, ie, the not-feeling-worthy thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Blockhead View Post
    That's rather interesting, because I've seen Eleven grow attatched to Clara more than Amy or Rory. And by that I mean he has feelings for her. I dare say it may even develop into a possible romance. *shot* Hearing that Matt doesn't get on with Jenna is sort of redundant by this, because the Doctor seems to be so attatched to her.
    I agree! Well, no, not entirely. I agree about the Doctor being incredibly attached to Clara and am very happy that I'm not the only one who's noticed this - but I can't help but be all "whoa, there" on the romance thing. Granted, I don't deny that there have been occasional moments of sexual tension between the two of them; however, this is entirely on the surface and irrelevant to the much deeper, more meaningful way he feels about her. The most straightforward evidence for this is in the prequel She Said, He Said, in which, because it's not actually canonically happening, the Doctor is completely honest with exactly how he feels about Clara. And there is not one indication of romance in what he says. Yes, he is deeply, near-irrationally attached to her, but it's in an entirely platonic way.

    That said, I don't believe he could possibly be more attached to Clara than he was to Amy. Equally as much, absolutely, but not more. And don't try and say that hypothetically being romantically attached to Clara (though, as I've said, he isn't) could somehow make it "more" than what his attachment to Amy was. I will always resent and disagree with the implication that romantic love is somehow "more" than platonic love. I mean, he was obviously romantically involved with River, but did that mean he was more attached to her than to Amy? Of course not.

    Additionally, and I feel this should be directed more at Ponymon than at you, what's this about Matt and Jenna not getting along? Where have we actually been given any indication of that? It's harder to get a sense of what their on-set dynamic is like than before because there's no Confidential any more, but from the few behind-the-scenes glimpses we have got, and from things they've said about each other in interviews, it seems like they're perfectly good friends. Perhaps not as close as Matt was with Karen and Arthur, but then he worked with them for nearly three years, which is loads of time to build up all sorts of in-jokes and become really familiar with each other. He's never going to have been able to become the same way with Jenna in only a few months.

    Personally I imagine that the main reason Matt left is because his Doctor's storyline was headed towards Trenzalore, and that'd be the most appropriate place for it to have its ending. If Matt hadn't decided to leave now, then the Doctor would have had to once again somehow not end up dying - in any sense of "dying" - at Trenzalore, and Steven Moffat would then have had to come up with something else further down the road to make a suitable regeneration episode whenever Matt did decide to leave.

    (Or if you want to argue that Steven wrote the whole Trenzalore storyline only after Matt decided to leave, then Matt would have had to have decided upon that and told Steven sometime while he was still writing series 6. Which doesn't seem that likely.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Blockhead View Post
    And here's a wacky idea I've kept to myself for a while: in the 50th Anniversary the Doctor should get some sort of power-up transformation, like a Super Saiyan or Super-Form from the Sonic series. Not a directly obvious rip-off, but he'd be able to fly through time, making him somewhat unique. Then an epic battle should occur either in the ruins of Gallifrey or above Earth, where he fights John Hurt OR some other big foe.
    Huh? You really think that should happen? o.o I... disagree. The Doctor isn't some kind of shounen action hero. That'd just be so completely not in line with the kind of thing the Doctor, and this show, ever does.

    ("somewhat unique"? The Doctor is already the most unique person ever. He doesn't need superpowers to make him any more special.)

    -elyvorg/Amelia
    .: Evolution is a battle .:. Something has to lose :.
    LOST EVOLUTION
    Chapter 33: Inside has been posted.


    Foregone Conclusion
    Spinoff/prequel/backstory/thingy to Lost Evolution, written for NaNoWriMo 2010

    Three Heads Are Better Than One

  3. #403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elyvorg View Post
    For some reason, which probably has a lot to do with The Name of the Doctor, I've recently been gripped with the urge to watch a bunch of Classic series episodes. So I've watched Terror of the Zygons, Pyramids of Mars, Castrovalva and Genesis of the Daleks, all just this week, and I intend to watch more whenever I get the time, focusing either on ones I've heard good things about or those with significant events such as companions joining/leaving or regenerations. It only seems appropriate in this year of the 50th anniversary that I get to grips with some of the Doctor's past adventures and old friends. The one I enjoyed most out of the ones mentioned here was Castrovalva; being the Fifth Doctor's post-regeneration episode, it meant his companions had to look after him and take initiative for themselves, which was nice, and then there was a neat sci-fi concept for the plot once it kicked in. I definitely plan to watch more Fifth Doctor episodes.

    In general it is kind of odd watching Classic serials when I'm so used to the new series, though, because they can often be really slow-paced to start off with. Once things get going they're always very enjoyable, but I'm often left thinking they could have condensed the content of the first two or three episodes into about fifteen minutes and just got on with the story much quicker.

    (This was typed up weeks ago, but then last night I also watched The Time Warrior, which was fun. It was Sarah Jane's first episode, and she did a bunch of awesome things in it for it being her first time time-travelling. No wonder people grew to like her so much.)
    I happened to watch Pyramids of Mars a few weeks ago. It's a very solid story and I did enjoy it, particularly Sarah Jane's role as the companion. There were several moments between her and the Doctor that made me smile; the "running underneath the windows" scene and her "I know you're a Time Lord" line come to mind. It was also quite cool to see the man who voiced the Beast in action as Sutekh.

    I'll certainly be checking out more classic stories in the near future. I own both City of Death and The Five Doctors on DVD (among others), yet I've never got around to watching them. I want to experience more of the earlier Doctors before viewing the twentieth anniversary special, though. I've seen An Unearthly Child, The Tomb of the Cybermen, The Time Warrior, Pyramids of Mars and some of The Talons of Weng-Chiang, but nothing with the Fifth Doctor. The Caves of Androzani is on the top of my list for him, and with the Regeneration box-set coming later this month, I have no excuse not to watch it. Genesis is a story I've been longing to see for a while. I'm also quite interested in taking a look at the Seventh Doctor's adventures with Ace.

    Quote Originally Posted by elyvorg View Post
    Heh. I kind of half-expected The Eleventh to claim the Doctor when he joined, what with his username, but I imagine he probably didn't for the same reason I didn't, ie, the not-feeling-worthy thing.
    Perhaps. ;) I was concerned with the Ponds' imminent departure, too, at the time. That's reminded me again of how abrupt Rory's ending was. He didn't even get to say goodbye. Now I'm sad.

    On the topic of Matt and Jenna's relationship, I really don't think that they have a poor one. From what we've seen, they appear perfectly friendly with each other and get on well. This video demonstrates that, I think. Sure, they're probably not as close as Matt and Karen were, which is to be expected, given that they began Who together and Matt and Jenna have only had ten episodes' worth of filming.

    Speaking of Jenna, she met the Queen today. Nice for some.

    I commenced rewatching Miracle Day again on Wednesday. Next up is the fourth episode, Escape to LA. It's certainly not a bad series, though it does stumble around the middle and pales in comparison to CoE. Vera's a really great, interesting, likable character, so it's a shame we get so little time with her. Her fate is highly successful in adding some emotional weight to the effects of the Miracle, but I'm still annoyed that she had to fall victim to it so quickly. I love her scenes. There's always Jilly to fill that void, I guess. I wish Torchwood would return soon, but that's not happening. I hope it does return. I miss Jack and Gwen. I was thinking about this the other day; 2012 (and 2013, to an extent) was so devoid of the Whoniverse. We got six episodes of Doctor Who, with no spin-offs being aired. That's pretty bad, actually. Even now, for the show's fiftieth year, only ten will be shown, one of which is the special itself. Series 7 Part 2 was slightly average, too. I had expected more. :/

    -The Eleventh/Rory Williams

  4. #404
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    T.A.R.D.I.S.
    Posts
    4,258

    Default

    @ Green Blockhead: Yeah, I’m going to have to agree with Elyvorg here, the Doctor does not need any sort of power-up state. It drove me crazy when as a teen, I turned on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (which had been in my top 10 shows as a kid) to find that they now had the power to Super Mutate…
    It. Was. Awful.

    In other news…
    I got my 6” Sonic Screwdriver today! I have small girly hands, so this one doesn’t look ridiculously huge when I hold it (reg. is 9”). And I’m fine that it doesn’t make noise, because that means I can use it as a flashlight at the museum if I need a light... It’s so hard to put down once I’ve picked it up.
    Blog: Problematic Paranormal Files | Twitter: @CleverKraken


    (Psssssttt... hey, you, yah you, HOLIDAYS2014 - gets you 10% off $15+ in my shop ^ )

    Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, and/or Joyous Kwanzaa!
    (Or whatever else you may celebrate.)

  5. #405
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Ponymon, they stopped making Confidential when Asylum of the Daleks aired, so I doubt that the (perceived negative) relationship of Matt and Jenna has anything to do with that. Moreover, I expect that there would be more than enough footage from filming and one-on-one interviews to hold the programme up, so I do expect that they did indeed cancel it due to budgetary concerns.

    In anticipation of the 50th, I went back and watched The Five Doctors, which is excellent. It's a nice gateway into the classic stories, since it showcases the first five Doctors (well, discounting Four) and a multitude of their main companions. Seeing the various Doctors interact (more often than not bickering or attempting to one-up the others) is wonderful, and it makes me all the more excited for the 50th, especially because they're two Doctors I know so well. Seeing Doctors react to companions they haven't seen/used to travel with is also great. I'm very much looking forward to seeing Ten meeting Clara, but I'm looking forward to seeing Eleven re-uniting with Rose even more. It'll be interesting. While I did, of course, enjoy all of the Doctors (there's a nice line from Two that's more or less the same as one Eleven says, which is nice; Matt always says Two is his favourite, so I imagine that he had some input into the episode), I must say that Five stood out to me. I intend to watch some more of his episodes. Also, it is quite surreal to see Gallifrey after first watching revived Who. I shall watch The Three Doctors at some point to get a feel of the First Doctor, since Hartnell was replaced for The Five Doctors.

    I have also watched the first episode of Terror of the Zygons. It was quite slow, but that's to be expected when four parts make up one serial. I quite enjoyed it, and I expect it'll pick up in the next few parts. I intend to watch An Unearthly Child and the post-regeneration stories for each Doctor in the near future.

  6. #406
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Internet
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elyvorg View Post
    I don't believe there's a rule against it. I just did it the way I did because the previous members list had become pretty huge, and the majority of the people on it weren't active any more. You reappeared, and a few others have, but not many. It was easier to just start afresh and make a new members list with the people who would - at least for a while - be active, whether they were part of the old club or not. Plus it seemed better to let the claiming thing restart from a blank slate, since most of the major characters had already been taken by people, most of whom had since become inactive.

    Perhaps if I ever restart the club again, though I'll still want to restart the members' list, I could make it so that everyone who was in the old club doesn't need to re-fill the form to rejoin; they just have to start posting again and I'll re-add them. That's something to think about. (...if I ever have to restart the club, which I'm hoping won't happen again.)
    Yeah, that would be the easiest course of action. And as long as there's speculation going on, this club will be on fire with activity.

    Quote Originally Posted by elyvorg View Post
    Heh. I kind of half-expected The Eleventh to claim the Doctor when he joined, what with his username, but I imagine he probably didn't for the same reason I didn't, ie, the not-feeling-worthy thing.
    But you two are all too worthy of being Doctor.

    OR, I have an idea. How about we choose a Doctor of the Month? So that a user can get the reward for either being a good poster, debater, or whatever, and they can be any Doctor they wish? When that month ends, they go back to their old character title or a new one if their old title was taken during their month.

    Quote Originally Posted by elyvorg View Post
    I agree! Well, no, not entirely. I agree about the Doctor being incredibly attached to Clara and am very happy that I'm not the only one who's noticed this - but I can't help but be all "whoa, there" on the romance thing. Granted, I don't deny that there have been occasional moments of sexual tension between the two of them; however, this is entirely on the surface and irrelevant to the much deeper, more meaningful way he feels about her. The most straightforward evidence for this is in the prequel She Said, He Said, in which, because it's not actually canonically happening, the Doctor is completely honest with exactly how he feels about Clara. And there is not one indication of romance in what he says. Yes, he is deeply, near-irrationally attached to her, but it's in an entirely platonic way.

    That said, I don't believe he could possibly be more attached to Clara than he was to Amy. Equally as much, absolutely, but not more. And don't try and say that hypothetically being romantically attached to Clara (though, as I've said, he isn't) could somehow make it "more" than what his attachment to Amy was. I will always resent and disagree with the implication that romantic love is somehow "more" than platonic love. I mean, he was obviously romantically involved with River, but did that mean he was more attached to her than to Amy? Of course not.

    Additionally, and I feel this should be directed more at Ponymon than at you, what's this about Matt and Jenna not getting along? Where have we actually been given any indication of that? It's harder to get a sense of what their on-set dynamic is like than before because there's no Confidential any more, but from the few behind-the-scenes glimpses we have got, and from things they've said about each other in interviews, it seems like they're perfectly good friends. Perhaps not as close as Matt was with Karen and Arthur, but then he worked with them for nearly three years, which is loads of time to build up all sorts of in-jokes and become really familiar with each other. He's never going to have been able to become the same way with Jenna in only a few months.

    Personally I imagine that the main reason Matt left is because his Doctor's storyline was headed towards Trenzalore, and that'd be the most appropriate place for it to have its ending. If Matt hadn't decided to leave now, then the Doctor would have had to once again somehow not end up dying - in any sense of "dying" - at Trenzalore, and Steven Moffat would then have had to come up with something else further down the road to make a suitable regeneration episode whenever Matt did decide to leave.

    (Or if you want to argue that Steven wrote the whole Trenzalore storyline only after Matt decided to leave, then Matt would have had to have decided upon that and told Steven sometime while he was still writing series 6. Which doesn't seem that likely.)
    I'm saying it MAY be hinting at romance. I doubt it would, but I just never saw a Doctor grow attatched to a companion in this manner. Sure, he's been more attached to Rose, Amy or whoever, but the Doctor seems so curious about Clara since she's the Impossible Girl. But hey, this is Doctor Who and we're using actors. I'm more used to speculating romance in anime :V


    Quote Originally Posted by elyvorg View Post
    Huh? You really think that should happen? o.o I... disagree. The Doctor isn't some kind of shounen action hero. That'd just be so completely not in line with the kind of thing the Doctor, and this show, ever does.

    ("somewhat unique"? The Doctor is already the most unique person ever. He doesn't need superpowers to make him any more special.)

    -elyvorg/Amelia
    Eh, that's just me speaking, just speaking my thoughts aloud. I do it too much, it gives back embarassing results :/

    Though to be fair, Three probably had the most action out of the eleven.




    EDIT 11/06/2013:

    It seems a chap named Rory Kinnear was offered to play the 12th Doctor.

    http://www.contactmusic.com/in-depth...or-who_3712695
    Last edited by Green Blockhead; 11th June 2013 at 1:50 PM.

    3DS Friend Code: 2337-4608-0376
    Most Recent Shiny: - 868 eggs | Current Hunt:

  7. #407
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    District 14 0_o
    Posts
    265

    Default

    ...oh, yeah, and about character titles. Well. C.y.a.n., you can be the Doctor if you really want to, since there's no rule against claiming him and no-one else has yet. I imagine the reason that no-one else has claimed him is because no-one really feels worthy of having him as a character title - so I'd just like to ask before I add your claim to the list: are you sure you want to be the Doctor?
    No, couldn't say i was worthy of it. So, can i just get a name change to Mr.Clever/Cyber Planner. I just do not like the GI after NOTD. Its goals were just so forced. He wants the doctor dead so he kidnaps his friends and forces him to enter his own tomb. He was like defeated only a couple of times and then this huge hatred. Would have understood if the Cybermen or Daleks did this but really, why the GI unless Moffat has some plans for it.

    To be honest, I think you or The Eleventh should be Doctor since you're the club leaders. Or maybe disallow taking him entirely. OR allow different incarnations to be claimed, because even though they're the same person, they have different personalities and characteristics which makes them significantly different. But that's just me speaking aloud.
    Yeah, the disallowing thing seems right.

    Matt's departure was sad but expected for me. He had a great run but only sad he didn't get another series. Happy Jenna is staying on, hope Clara sticks around for a while. I want it to be independent episode to Trenazlore Event. A modern day Christmas would be nice to see for Christmas as it has been three years. I have been inactive for a bit so I don't if it was mentioned. They are still at Trenazlore so any could still happen. They hardly just leave the time stream after the cliff hanger. What about Vastra and co., how will they get home? It seems weird that the trenazlore predation wasn't extremely accurate.

    OK, I have to say is anyone else sick of having no spin-offs?

    FCs:
    Black- 1550 5635 4578. White 2- 0992 2115 3932
    3DS: 5386 7832 8719

  8. #408
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    In your base, killing ur doods
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Why do you like Doctor Who?
    Well, it's practically the best BBC show EVER, and it made Britain, my country, more recognisable. For that, I salute you, Doctor Who. Plus the show has some pretty funny jokes in it: Commander Strax, and Thomas Thomas, to name some of the most recent. But it can also be really dark at times, and I've read enough Terry Pratchett books to become a fan of that. Seriously, the Vashta Nerada is the reason I sleep with a light on. The creepier aliens/monsters in the show like Weeping Angels (shudder) still scare me to this very day. And as a fan of creepypasta, I can say that this is no bad thing. Of course, being only 13, I have only seen episodes from the Ninth Doctor onwards. But I have become such a fan of it, that I'm actually going to watch some of the old episodes. And I love being a Whovian, as Whovian just sounds so cool! So I like Doctor Who because of the memorable characters, dark undertones, and sneaky little bits of humour every now and then. And I can say right now, if I could afford a 3DTV, I'd buy one just for the 50th anniversary episode. Doctor Who is the best show Britain has to offer, and that is why I love it.
    Who's your favourite Doctor?
    Either Fourth or Eleventh. The Fourth Doctor because he had an awesome scarf, and there was even a cameo of him in the Futurama episode "Mobius Dick". And Eleventh because he made fezzes cool, and is just one of the funniest Doctors overall in my opinion.
    I AM ERROR!
    Check out my YouTube channel! http://m.youtube.com/#/user/NinjaOfT...injaOfTheSkies
    My Pokemon/Futurama fanfic: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9186329/...anto-Adventure

  9. #409
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    District 14 0_o
    Posts
    265

    Default

    This place is so quiet. Let's try liven it up.

    what are your hopes for series 8
    Mine are:

    Christmas special- Modern Earth where the Doctor ends up spending christmas at Clara's House(not Maitland) Clara's dad is worried about Clara travelling with Doctor and try's to convince her not to. Regeneration, duh. It would be nice to see Matt in a modern special since there wasn't one since David left and its his last episode. Enemy wise, I'd like. to see something from recurring stories. Maybe the Silence but in their POV before the impossible astronaut/WORS. It would work as they are trying to kill the doctor before he reaches trenazlore, but too late. They don't know it's post-trenazlore for the doctor. The injure the doctor in a fatal way but don't see him regenerate so they think they kilt him. It could be called Silent Night!

    Episode 1- New Doctor Story, I'd like it to have the element of New Earth and Eleventh Hour mashed together. New arc is set up and new enemy (recurring or non-recurring)

    Episode 2 or 9 Dark story featuring the Trickster. I know it's a Sarah Jane exclusive kind of, but it has potential. He could trick Clara into saving her mom and cause havoc. I think it would also be nice to see that despite Elisabeth Sladen's passing her Legacy lives on.

    Episode 3/4- two parters are the one thing I missed most about series 7. A historical one would be interesting as we never get them in two parters.

    Episode 5- old past baddy. Future story preferable. Featuring a future UNIT

    Episode 6- anything really.

    Episode 7/8- return of Jack Harkness or Luke Smith. Two characters I do not understand why weren't featured in the 50th. Jack is immortal so he can always return and has had a big influence in the revived series. Luke because Elisabeth was such a big role in the duration of the show and Luke to feature would be a representative of her legacy in the show. Like Kate Steward for Lethbridge.

    Episode 2/9- doctor and companion lite episode like Love and Monsters. Modern London

    Episode 10-Anything

    Episode 11-13- extremely great story arc like The Master in series 3. Enemy is fine but preferred something like Daleks/ Cybermen/Angels/Timelords/Eternals or something from the old serie. I'd like to see a war episode like Doomsday but more intense. I'd love to see the Daleks fighting the Weeping Angels. Show that there is more in these aliens lives then fighting the Doctor.

    Also something new in the last episode by introducing a companion completely unrelated to Clara (not friend or family) but Clara still sticks around. Something similar to the old series.

    What are your opinions???

    FCs:
    Black- 1550 5635 4578. White 2- 0992 2115 3932
    3DS: 5386 7832 8719

  10. #410
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Turn Around
    Posts
    455

    Default

    Wow, I kinda dropped off for a good while.

    So, from what I understand we'll be seeing the Doctor's next regeneration at the end of the year. What actors are your picks? I'd like to throw in Olivia Wilde for the lolz (if you get the joke, bravo good sir/madam), but really I don't know British actors that we'll to make a good guess. Or maybe it will be an actress? And I assume that Clara is sticking around? If she's another clingy Rose type this might get... annoying.
    I'm sorry, were you expecting some kind of epic signature here?

    Current works:
    A Modern Atlantis- Bioshock/Doctor Who crossover (FINALLY WRITING CHAPTER 3! Will post soon!)
    -When a perfectly mundane trip to the ocean floor causes the Doctor and his companions to discover an underwater city, they find a utopia that is anything but. (Rated PG-14 for language and violence)

  11. #411
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    T.A.R.D.I.S.
    Posts
    4,258

    Default

    Has anyone else seen this? - it's kind of scary.
    Blog: Problematic Paranormal Files | Twitter: @CleverKraken


    (Psssssttt... hey, you, yah you, HOLIDAYS2014 - gets you 10% off $15+ in my shop ^ )

    Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, and/or Joyous Kwanzaa!
    (Or whatever else you may celebrate.)

  12. #412

    Default

    Welcome, PurpleTitan.

    I watched Genesis of the Daleks over the past few days. I found it to be extremely enjoyable, though Part Six was certainly my favourite episode. The Daleks became very interesting, even though the story was mostly concerned with Davros, and the ending was magical. That single episode will undoubtedly be hard to top, though I'm looking forward to seeing what else the Classic Series offers in terms of its well-regarded stories. The Caves of Androzani is up next.

    Quote Originally Posted by C.y.a.n View Post
    It could be called Silent Night!
    Heh.

    I'd quite like to see the Trickster in Doctor Who, and a plot featuring Clara saving her mother would be very worthwhile, I think. It would also provide an opportunity to make reference to Sarah Jane. I really don't know what should be done with her character now. Should she be given a send-off similar to the Brigadier or would it be better not to address the issue? It's a shame The Sarah Jane Adventures ended abruptly; what RTD had in mind for a planned final episode (sending Sarah into space) would have been an excellent way to say goodbye to the character.

    I still get the feeling that Matt's final outing will be the fiftieth anniversary special. Given the chance, could Moffat resist having a regeneration when celebrating fifty years of the show? Plus, I can't see Matt's hair growing back in time for filming (it's next month, right?). The comments about not having found the next Doctor don't ring true, either. Surely they would have started the search before June?

    -The Eleventh/Rory Williams
    Last edited by The Eleventh; 9th July 2013 at 6:42 PM.

  13. #413
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    T.A.R.D.I.S.
    Posts
    4,258

    Default

    Eleventh: That's what wigs are for. I don't know for sure what's going to happen, but a haircut isn't really a problem when it comes to filming TV shows... that and you can always find an excuse, if you've got decent writers. But a regenration for the 50th does sound like making sure your episode ends with a bang.

    I got to watch the full Doctor's Revisited #6 (they play them later without the classic episode T-T )... I think I like the sixth Doctor, and that coat...
    Blog: Problematic Paranormal Files | Twitter: @CleverKraken


    (Psssssttt... hey, you, yah you, HOLIDAYS2014 - gets you 10% off $15+ in my shop ^ )

    Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, and/or Joyous Kwanzaa!
    (Or whatever else you may celebrate.)

  14. #414
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    606

    Default

    Why do you like Doctor Who?
    Good lord, there are so many reasons, but it's so hard to put them into words. But let me try anyway. To me, Doctor Who is one of the most original and unique television shows I've ever seen. It's truly brilliant how things can go from silly to serious to dramatic and back again, and sometimes all of the above at once. The show also has a great philosophy in that everyone, regardless of anything you can think of, is important in their own way. I also love how the show changes. It wouldn't be any fun if things never changed. It's wonderful, because it makes you realize that anything can happen, and that the possibilities are endless. And it's very apparent now, as we await the decision on who will be the 12th Doctor. I'm not sure how much more I can put into words, but I think I've gotten my point across. Doctor Who is one of the most unpredictable, brilliant, and enjoyable television shows.
    Favorite Doctor
    Are you trying to kill me? (jk) It's impossible for me to decide. I've seen all but 2, 3, and 8, and they're all wonderful in their own respects. If I *had* to pick one, it would probably be Ten. David Tennant was a brilliant actor, and his passion for the show and his part was incredible (I'm sorry, but it gives me feels when I reflect on the fact that being the Doctor was his childhood dream).
    Desired Character Title
    Commander Strax

    Quote Originally Posted by Tumblr User Godiscobalt
    “A good writer with a sad idea and a malicious side is a person to fear.”
    My writing blog

        Spoiler:- Contact Info:

  15. #415
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    District 14 0_o
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Eleventh View Post
    Heh.

    I'd quite like to see the Trickster in Doctor Who, and a plot featuring Clara saving her mother would be very worthwhile, I think. It would also provide an opportunity to make reference to Sarah Jane. I really don't know what should be done with her character now. Should she be given a send-off similar to the Brigadier or would it be better not to address the issue? It's a shame The Sarah Jane Adventures ended abruptly; what RTD had in mind for a planned final episode (sending Sarah into space) would have been an excellent way to say goodbye to the character.

    I still get the feeling that Matt's final outing will be the fiftieth anniversary special. Given the chance, could Moffat resist having a regeneration when celebrating fifty years of the show? Plus, I can't see Matt's hair growing back in time for filming (it's next month, right?). The comments about not having found the next Doctor don't ring true, either. Surely they would have started the search before June?

    -The Eleventh/Rory Williams
    Honestly i think would be better not address the issue of closure for the character as the last SJA episode was just fitting for the circumstances and the ending was just perfect. A simple remark like Sarah Jane always got the best of Trickster and that he needed a new target(Clara) wouldn't be too bad but the acknowledgement is nice to know she meant something to the show.

    I was thinking that too^^ it would be perfect timing but i don't want it to be his last. I want the christmas episode to be it so it can sum up smith's doctor and not the 50th anniversary. i also relised there won't be any "(insert word here) are cool" remarks or other funny eleventh doctor quotes anymore like Tennant's leaving was perfect. Referenced every companion, had the return of the Time Lords and an emotional regeneration! I don't want the exact same for Smith but imagine the Doctor turning up on Amy and Rory's House prior to ATM and just the Doctor hugs Amy and Rory and just says goodbye and leaves just leaving Amy and Rory confused and Clara in the Tardis asking who they were, then this episode would proper closure for River. Seeing him give her the updated screwdriver and saying goodbye (Sorry but NOTD was just too rushed to be her satisfactory farewell). Wait this is the exact same but who cares

    FCs:
    Black- 1550 5635 4578. White 2- 0992 2115 3932
    3DS: 5386 7832 8719

  16. #416
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    186

    Default

    ~4 months to go! There hasn't really been that much news concerning the 50th or Christmas special lately...but I kinda wanna show off some DW stuff I got!

        Spoiler:- me and my spoils:


    Hmm, I guess something that I (and some of my friends) have been wondering is if John Hurt's Doctor is a past or future incarnation. The way Eleven talked implied that he was talking about things that he'd done already, but at the same time...It wouldn't be unheard of for the Doctor to have encountered his future self (John Hurt) as a past incarnation...What do you people think? Personally, I think he is a past incarnation.

    Becoming/Clara (Oswin) Oswald
    ┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐

  17. #417

    Default

    edit: I forgot about your post, MooseSmuggler. Apologies. Welcome to the club.

    So, I watched The Caves of Androzani. It was very enjoyable. The story was paced well and I was always left wanting to see the next part. Five is such a great Doctor. Regenerations are forever exciting. I've been experiencing the Fifth Doctor a lot lately, actually. I'm currently listening to Big Finish's Spare Parts, which is the Cybermen's answer to Genesis of the Daleks. I'm halfway through, and so far it's been excellent. The original Cybermen voices are really brilliant. Certainly far more unnerving than their latest models'. I finally watched The Five Doctors today, too, after owning the DVD for years. It's not exactly the pinnacle of storytelling, but it's fun. I do hope the fiftieth anniversary special opts for a different method of celebrating the show. From what we've been told, it seems like it will, thankfully. At last, I know what's meant when Sarah's calamitous fall is referred to. It's so silly. D:

    I'll commence watching Ace's adventures soon. I'm looking forward to Remembrance, but I've got Dragonfire first. I've heard both good and bad things about this era, so my interest is most definitely piqued.

    Quote Originally Posted by Becoming View Post
    Hmm, I guess something that I (and some of my friends) have been wondering is if John Hurt's Doctor is a past or future incarnation. The way Eleven talked implied that he was talking about things that he'd done already, but at the same time...It wouldn't be unheard of for the Doctor to have encountered his future self (John Hurt) as a past incarnation...What do you people think? Personally, I think he is a past incarnation.
    I'd say he's a past incarnation, too. I think it makes more sense. If he weren't, it'd be something future writers may have to deal with. We don't have too much longer to wait to find out, I guess.

    Hopefully some information regarding the fiftieth will be disclosed tomorrow (today, technically) at SDCC. Would a trailer be too much to ask for? :P

    -The Eleventh/Rory Williams
    Last edited by The Eleventh; 21st July 2013 at 1:35 PM.

  18. #418
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Eleventh View Post
    edit: I forgot about your post, MooseSmuggler. Apologies. Welcome to the club.
    Much obliged ^_^

    So, I watched The Caves of Androzani. It was very enjoyable. The story was paced well and I was always left wanting to see the next part. Five is such a great Doctor. Regenerations are forever exciting. I've been experiencing the Fifth Doctor a lot lately, actually. I'm currently listening to Big Finish's Spare Parts, which is the Cybermen's answer to Genesis of the Daleks. I'm halfway through, and so far it's been excellent. The original Cybermen voices are really brilliant. Certainly far more unnerving than their latest models'. I finally watched The Five Doctors today, too, after owning the DVD for years. It's not exactly the pinnacle of storytelling, but it's fun. I do hope the fiftieth anniversary special opts for a different method of celebrating the show. From what we've been told, it seems like it will, thankfully. At last, I know what's meant when Sarah's calamitous fall is referred to. It's so silly. D:

    I'll commence watching Ace's adventures soon. I'm looking forward to Remembrance, but I've got Dragonfire first. I've heard both good and bad things about this era, so my interest is most definitely piqued.
    I loved CoA. Five seems wonderful, even though that's the only episode of his I've seen. I've seen Seven in The Curse of Fenric, which I thought was a good episode


    I'd say he's a past incarnation, too. I think it makes more sense. If he weren't, it'd be something future writers may have to deal with. We don't have too much longer to wait to find out, I guess.
    There's a rumor going around that one of the costume designers blabbed, and revealed that Hurt is somewhere in between the time we last saw 8 and before we see 9. My theory is that he's an older version of Eight, or that he somehow got an extra regeneration, making Hurt "8.5". I have my doubts they'd throw off the count by making him the "true" 9th Doctor. I wouldn't stop watching over it obviously, but considering the fact that some of the music ("Vale Decem" comes to mind) and episode titles (The Eleventh Hour) have been references to the Doctors and their numbers, I can't see Moffat being crazy enough to throw it off.

    Hopefully some information regarding the fiftieth will be disclosed tomorrow (today, technically) at SDCC. Would a trailer be too much to ask for? :P

    -The Eleventh/Rory Williams
    Well, at least they showed a trailer...but only SDCC-goers get to see it. I'm saddened, but I suppose we shouldn't be shocked that they'd give something exclusive to them. I just hope the rest of us get something relatively soon :/

    Quote Originally Posted by Tumblr User Godiscobalt
    “A good writer with a sad idea and a malicious side is a person to fear.”
    My writing blog

        Spoiler:- Contact Info:

  19. #419
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    72

    Default

    I haven't been around in a while! All this Comic-Con news has got me excited, though!

    I am extremely disappointed that the trailer is not being released to the public anytime soon. I want more David Tennant, is that too much to ask? Also, Moffat is still being extremely evasive, even saying what little he has disclosed could have been lies. I'm glad he's being cagey, though--it's best to be left in the dark for as long as possible! Probably the only reason the BBC revealed that David and Billie were going to be in the 50th was so there wouldn't be a complete s---storm when people saw them filming together.

    In the secrecy of a studio, though--who knows what could happen? John Barroman? Please?

    It's so maddening waiting. But wait I shall.

    -Toshiko Sato

    Pokemon White friend code: 0648 2224 4895
    Pokemon White 2 friend code: 1550 3078 1849

    "One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties.
    Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
    Goodbye Susan. Goodbye my dear."
    -The First Doctor

  20. #420
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    606

    Default

    In case anyone's interested, they released the 12th Doctor audition scripts. I wonder if this means they're making progress in the selection process.

    Also, I watched The Visitation (a 5th Doctor serial). It was pretty good in my opinion. And it made me think. I heard the Christmas Special is going to be titled The Twelfth Night, titled after a Shakespeare play that begins with a shipwreck, similar to The Visitation. Knowing Moffat's love of Classic Who, I wonder if he's going to channel that serial into his writing of the Christmas special.

    Sorry for the clunky text, I'm using my phone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tumblr User Godiscobalt
    “A good writer with a sad idea and a malicious side is a person to fear.”
    My writing blog

        Spoiler:- Contact Info:

  21. #421
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    557

    Default

    I decided that I was going to wait until about 23:00 last night before spoiling the Comic-Con trailer for myself, as they said that it would be released soon and I thought that seemed the most likely time to release it using the 'soon'-ish frame of mind. A word of advice: don't. There are quite a few moments in the trailer that I think will be better to first see rather than read about, and really there are many moments in there that are truly excellent and you really shouldn't spoil them for yourself.

    In other news, there were several short vignettes shot for the Series 6 DVD. I recommend that everyone watch them (in the order I present), as they're rather good. I shan't spoil them, but I will say that elyvorg in particular should most definitely watch them since she made a post about something that happens in them a few pages back.

    Bad Night
    Good Night
    First Night
    Last Night

    Does anyone else love the fact that Steven Moffat just acknowledges that he routinely lies to interviewers? I love that he's willing to do that to protect the secrets of the 50th. It also allows me to retain some hope that the Ninth Doctor will appear, but I'm sure Christopher Ecclestone will dash those hopes...

    Also, where does everyone stand on the Comic-Con trailer controversy? I personally don't care too much, at least over the complaint that we British (mostly) fund it so should get exclusives first; I just wish they had banned people from describing it on the internet, too, because surely they must have known that many people will go out and spoil it for themselves, which is perhaps worse than not seeing it in the first place. I certainly hope they release it soon.

    EDIT:

    The Twelfth Doctor will be unveiled during a live, half-hour programme at 19:00 on Sunday. 'The half-hour show will include live special guests, Doctors old and new, as well as companions and celebrity fans. Current Doctor Matt Smith and lead writer/executive producer Steven Moffat will both give interviews during the special.'
    Last edited by Crasher; 2nd August 2013 at 2:12 AM.

  22. #422
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    606

    Default

    I suppose most of us know about this by now, but for those who don't, there ya go. I confirmed on the official Doctor Who Tumblr that they will be simulcasting this in Britain and the US, and most likely worldwide. 7PM GMT, 2PM EST.

    I find it interesting that Peter Capaldi came out of nowhere in the betting books and became the bookies' favorite overnight right before this announcement. Combine that with Capaldi's talent and intense passion for Doctor Who (I mean, the man went into acting because as a kid, he wrote letters to the production team), and I think we may have figured out the 12th Doctor's identity, so long as Moffat didn't get his own crew to bet on him to create a smokescreen.

    So what do y'all think? Oh, and a friend and I are organizing an Xat chat to watch the announcement together and discuss it. If you want the link, just ask and I'll provide it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tumblr User Godiscobalt
    “A good writer with a sad idea and a malicious side is a person to fear.”
    My writing blog

        Spoiler:- Contact Info:

  23. #423

    Default

    The BBC's announcements always leak before they get around to making them. D: Nevertheless, the news is exciting. Hosting a live programme will make the reveal even more special. I wouldn't mind having Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor, despite his past appearances in Doctor Who and Torchwood. It didn't stop Colin Baker.

    The exclusivity of the anniversary special trailer is indeed frustrating, but I'm not nearly as annoyed as I initially was. I've managed to refrain from reading descriptions of it, though I hope it's released soon. Sunday would be nice. The trailer for An Adventure in Space and Time turned up on YouTube, which I watched, but unfortunately there was no such luck in the case of the special.

    I began viewing Ace's travels with the Seventh Doctor a while ago, and finished The Happiness Patrol today. Her first appearance, Dragonfire, is all right, but the following two stories, Remembrance of the Daleks and THP, are far more interesting and enjoyable. She's an excellent companion, particularly past her debut, as her character is slightly extreme in that.

    I having a feeling the wait for Sunday evening will pass very, very slowly.

    -The Eleventh/Rory Williams

  24. #424
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Eleventh View Post
    The BBC's announcements always leak before they get around to making them. D: Nevertheless, the news is exciting. Hosting a live programme will make the reveal even more special. I wouldn't mind having Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor, despite his past appearances in Doctor Who and Torchwood. It didn't stop Colin Baker.
    Agreed. Besides, his role in Doctor Who was relatively minor, especially compared to Colin Baker's (I mean, how many actors can say they shot the Doctor then became the Doctor?). He's become my favorite for the part because his passion for the show possibly rivals that of David Tennant, so we can bet that he'll do a good job in the role. I've noticed that the best actors who played the Doctor are the ones who have been life-long Whovians. That was part of the reason I was against Rory Kinnear as the Doctor, since he's never seen the show at all.

    The exclusivity of the anniversary special trailer is indeed frustrating, but I'm not nearly as annoyed as I initially was. I've managed to refrain from reading descriptions of it, though I hope it's released soon. Sunday would be nice. The trailer for An Adventure in Space and Time turned up on YouTube, which I watched, but unfortunately there was no such luck in the case of the special.
    I heard that the trailer won't be released to the public. Though they'll likely do a different version of it, at least. We won't be going trailer-less.

    I began viewing Ace's travels with the Seventh Doctor a while ago, and finished The Happiness Patrol today. Her first appearance, Dragonfire, is all right, but the following two stories, Remembrance of the Daleks and THP, are far more interesting and enjoyable. She's an excellent companion, particularly past her debut, as her character is slightly extreme in that.
    I've only seen Ace in Curse of Fenric, but she seems like a wonderful companion. Didn't she hit a Dalek with a baseball bat? Was that Remembrance by chance?

    I having a feeling the wait for Sunday evening will pass very, very slowly.

    -The Eleventh/Rory Williams
    Oh god, I hear you. As I said, anyone who wants to join my little chatroom watch-party is welcome to. Just VM me if you want the link.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tumblr User Godiscobalt
    “A good writer with a sad idea and a malicious side is a person to fear.”
    My writing blog

        Spoiler:- Contact Info:

  25. #425
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    I don't remember...
    Posts
    1,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MooseSmuggler View Post
    Agreed. Besides, his role in Doctor Who was relatively minor, especially compared to Colin Baker's (I mean, how many actors can say they shot the Doctor then became the Doctor?). He's become my favorite for the part because his passion for the show possibly rivals that of David Tennant, so we can bet that he'll do a good job in the role. I've noticed that the best actors who played the Doctor are the ones who have been life-long Whovians. That was part of the reason I was against Rory Kinnear as the Doctor, since he's never seen the show at all.
    I agree. The best people to take on the role are the ones who have always wanted it and have always been a fan. There are quite a few people who could fill the role, but i think Capaldi is the best choice. (then they'll go and cast the person we least expect lol) Still, the wait until sunday is killing me and i cannot wait to find out and i wonder if they will reveal more about the 5oth anniversary special. that too would be great.

    Always watching. Always waiting. Never truly at peace in a realm of its own.
    Giratina will return....someday.



Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •