Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The Doctor Who Club v.4

Haven’t seen the new episode yet (it’s recorded, so soon...), but I got to watch Pond Life.

And yes it’s quite entertaining to see the Doctor has to change the light on top of the T.A.R.D.I.S., but what does that mean for the Chameleon Circuit? Say if it was working (fully), and you landed in ancient Greece where and when it would disguise itself as statue. What becomes of the light then?

Spoiler:- Babbling about what I like best in Pond Life::
    Problematic Paranormal Files

The Gravity Falls Fanclub | My Twitter: @CleverKraken

Today's Fact: Mantis Shrimp have 16 different color receptors (cones), while humans have 3.

Cool, I really enjoyed asylum.

Spoiler:- Asylum:

I thought that this beared repeating seeing as this is the DW club. But I did get to hang out with Karen Gillan (Amy, duh) and she was so cool, and tall, I did ask her about the new series but she wouldnt tell me anything But she was really nice to us (Me and my bro) and I got her autograph!
    The most Superior Snivy. Left, good time here though. I loved this place.

Spoiler:- Reply to elyvorg:

Spoiler:- Asylum of the Daleks:

Spoiler:- Crasher:

Spoiler:- Dinosaurs, Spaceship!:

Aggressive Stairs should at least become a fanfic. ‘They’ll let you go down, but you can never come back up.’ I might write a bit on this even if no one else claims that right.
    Last edited by VampirateMace; 3rd September 2012 at 5:46 AM.

Today's Fact: Mantis Shrimp have 16 different color receptors (cones), while humans have 3.

Quote Originally Posted by VampirateMace View Post
    And yes it’s quite entertaining to see the Doctor has to change the light on top of the T.A.R.D.I.S., but what does that mean for the Chameleon Circuit? Say if it was working (fully), and you landed in ancient Greece where and when it would disguise itself as statue. What becomes of the light then?
    Presumably then the light stops existing and wouldn't need changing. I guess this means that the only reason the Doctor even does need to change the TARDIS's lightbulb is because she always stays in her police box form, and therefore the lightbulb exists for a long enough period of time that it occasionally needs changing. xD

And the bedroom scene. Did the Doctor plan that? Was he bored and decided he’d go scare the sh*t out of Amy and Rory by implying there was a possibly fatal event in the near future, ’cause Rory made it sound like it’d happened before.
    The Doctor accidentally popping up in the wrong order in an awkward location is something that I have no doubt has happened before and is probably what Rory meant. I don't think the Doctor would ever have done it deliberately, though, because he wouldn't want to unnecessarily worry his best friends like that.

(Besides, what he does when he's "bored" is leave them answerphone messages detailing his recent wacky hijinks, clearly. x3)

(And when I say "bored", I mean "lonely", because he doesn't get bored; he has all of time and space to occupy him.)

Quote Originally Posted by VampirateMace View Post
        Spoiler:- Asylum of the Daleks:
        Spoiler:- Reply:

Spoiler:- Crasher:
    I'm personally not that sure the Doctor does ever ask himself that. I don't imagine he's at all proud of the fact that his name is apparently so incredibly dangerous for whatever reason, so I can't see him being smug about the fact that only he knows the answer to the Question.

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker. View Post

So! Dinosaurs on a Spaceship! There is various not-too-spoilery previewy stuff available, such as Karen and Arthur discussing it and a whole bunch of images. Then there's a preview clip, which I've just watched and am still kind of giggling at.

Spoiler:- My thoughts on this general previewy stuff:

...oh, and apparently there's more preview clips on the way, one on Thursday and another on Friday. Oh, official site, Pond Life really got you into the habit of stringing these pre-episode tidbits out, didn't it? Then again, I don't really mind, as it gives me a little something to look forward to each day in lieu of more actual Pond Life which there totally should have been. :3

-elyvorg/Amelia
    .: Evolution is a battle .:. Something has to lose :.
    LOST EVOLUTION
    Chapter 33: Inside has been posted.

Foregone Conclusion
    Spinoff/prequel/backstory/thingy to Lost Evolution, written for NaNoWriMo 2010

Three Heads Are Better Than One

Why do you like Doctor Who?

Because it's the only really successfull sci-fi to come out of the UK. When I think of British sci-fi the only other show that comes to mind is Primeval, and that was created by ITV to compete with Doctor Who.

Who's your favourite Doctor?

Well I'm really only familar with 8 onwards so there's not much choice there. I'm gonna go with 11.

Desired character title?

The same one I had last time.
    Some days you just can't force a smile. :<

^ You'll need to add a bit more than that. :P

Remember the Who bowling video I mentioned? Well, it came out almost a week ago. Whoops. It's terrifically hilarious, though. Oh, Karen. :D

There's also an interview I've yet to watch, though it apparently contains spoilers. I presume they're Asylum spoilers, since surely Matt and Karen wouldn't reveal anything terribly spoiler-y. (e: Yes, they're just Asylum spoilers. I should have watched the opening of the video.)

Gah, Dinosaurs is on in two days! I've watched the Nefertiti clip so many times now. Just for Matt's voice. That's not strange. Oh, and there are some promo images available. I love the main one; Lee Binding puts so much thought into his designs. The official website's logo has also been updated to reflect this week's title sequence.

Speaking of the title sequence, does anyone else dislike the changes made? I think they're horrendous. The contrast is horrible, and the names look much better in 3D and with the "whoosh" effect (don't laugh). This fan-made opening is just fantastic. It's a great new take on the titles.

-The Eleventh/Rory Williams
    Last edited by The Eleventh; 6th September 2012 at 9:14 PM.

Preview clips so far here and here. It's looking good.

Good news, everyone! Neil Gaiman won a Hugo award (yeah, me neither) the other night for The Doctor's Wife and he said in his acceptance speech that "Only a fool or a mad man would try to do it again... so I'm on the third draft." He later confirmed that he is writing another episode, currently scheduled for 2013.

I was reading an interview with Moffat in which he was talking about JLC's character (while still not naming her!) and her impact on the Doctor. While an interesting read in itself (here), he mentions a cut scene from (I assume) The Power of Three which I was compelled to share. I'm not sure whether it's been talked about so I'll provide the premise of the episode as well.

Spoiler:- The Power of Three stuff:

Also, some stuff on JLC and her character's ostensible name.

Spoiler:- JLC:

EDIT:

The Eleventh and I posted suspiciously close to each other...

The bowling was hilarious. I liked when he told Karen that the wand chooses the wizard. I feel compelled to post this now.

I didn't really mind the new titles. I didn't think they looked bad. That fan-made one is interesting; it's an interesting choice to go for images of the cast in the titles. I believe some of the older opening titles showed the Doctor's face (the fourth springs to mind), but not the companions.

I found a fan-made trailer for the 50th anniversary a few days ago which is pretty awesome and should be checked out.
    Last edited by Crasher; 6th September 2012 at 9:29 PM.

SoulSilverMstr11: Like he says, you'll need a good bit more than that. Never mind it being really successful - why do you in particular like the show? (Also last club you seemingly didn't have a character title, so bear that in mind.)

Okay, so. I am kind of in love with pretty much everything in that interview with Steven Moffat that Crasher posted. I have to get this out of my system, so, rambly spoiler time! (And if anyone was wary of reading that interview because it seems too spoilery, so was I at first, but it's really not that bad. All it does is tease for the effect the new companion will have on the Doctor; it doesn't actually mention anything directly about the companion herself.)

Spoiler:- That interview; also I mention the premise of The Power of Three:

I literally shed tears of joy when I read the interview last night; not even kidding. It's made me more convinced than ever that I am going to love this series - both halves of it - so, so much.

Neil Gaiman is writing another episode? 8D EXCITEMENT. Half the reason I love The Doctor's Wife might simply be because having the TARDIS able to speak is an inherently wonderful concept, so I'm wondering what a Gaiman episode will be like when it doesn't involve that, but I'm sure it will still be incredible, whatever it's about.

Teeheehee, those videos with the cast are so silly and fun. x3 Karen is amazing. (I also can't help but wonder if the Doctor would be any better at bowling than Matt is. He is on Virginia Woolf's bowling team, but...) Oh, I'm going to miss all the shenanigans with Karen and Arthur once the Ponds are gone. Hopefully Jenna will be awesome too, in her own way.

Also that Q&A from the America screening of Asylum was a lot of fun to watch! They did tease a few small things to do with future episodes, as well. Suffice it to say I am now also very much looking forward to the Christmas episode for its developments regarding the Doctor's headgear. Yes. :B

I'll add another video to the pile myself, this one from a Q&A session at Comic Con. In which an adorable six year old girl asks "the Doctor" if he's scared of Weeping Angels. (Matt is also amazing.)

Re: the new opening sequence - hmm. I like the way the logo will have a different design to it for every episode of the series; it really helps with the sense of big, mad, movie-poster concepts for each episode. I'm slightly less fond of the new cast credits, partly because they don't look as cool and partly because the timing of them is slightly different and I'm not used to it. Sounds silly, I know, but I've got so used to Matt Smith's name appearing the instant that the main melody of the theme tune kicks in (and the lightning strikes), such that it just feels off when it's already there a little bit beforehand. But obviously these are tiny nitpicks and I'm not going to pretend like I'm particularly bothered by the changes because it really doesn't matter to me so long as the episodes themselves keep being amazing. Which they are. So much.

Dinosaurs! Third preview clip here. Seems there's a few more different kinds of dinosaur in this episode than I'd originally been led to believe, so yay! And as for the second preview clip from yesterday, I've found myself not quite watching it but listening to it quite a few times already, because I really like the music in it. This is the first time so far this series that I've thought "this is really awesome music and it better be on the soundtrack!"; gotta love variations on the Doctor's theme. This one sounds like it's specifically a variation on The Majestic Tale, which is awesome and I hope there's loads more variations on that piece throughout this series.

Also, yesterday I was poking around Wikipedia trying to figure out exactly who Nefertiti was. In the process, I found out that apparently, all historical record of her vanishes at around the time of her husband's death (which is approximately 1334 BC, as it happens), and no-one really knows what happened to her. Well, hmm. I wonder if we'll find out the answer to this mystery tomorrow? =D

-elyvorg/Amelia
    LOST EVOLUTION

Foregone Conclusion

Yes, it is very exciting that Neil Gaiman is penning a second episode. I knew I forgot to mention something in my last post.

That video with Matt talking to the little girl is so cute. It's nice to be reminded how Doctor Who means a lot even to six-year-olds.

Not only does Matt speak of a new hat in that video I posted, he asks Caroline Skinner if he can talk about a "journey to the..." when questioned about the size of the TARDIS. I guess this means we'll be seeing more of the TARDIS interior shortly. At least, I hope so; there hasn't been a lot of the TARDIS interior (beyond the console room) in New Who. Perhaps "Journey..." is an episode title, or maybe there's an actual adventure in the TARDIS.

Dinosaurs tomorrow! Last Saturday's episode is repeated tonight on BBC Three. I for one shall be watching it again.

Quote Originally Posted by elyvorg View Post
    [I'll add another video to the pile myself, this one from a Q&A session at Comic Con. In which an adorable six year old girl asks "the Doctor" if he's scared of Weeping Angels. (Matt is also amazing.)

Also, yesterday I was poking around Wikipedia trying to figure out exactly who Nefertiti was. In the process, I found out that apparently, all historical record of her vanishes at around the time of her husband's death (which is approximately 1334 BC, as it happens), and no-one really knows what happened to her. Well, hmm. I wonder if we'll find out the answer to this mystery tomorrow? =D
    -elyvorg/Amelia
    Youtube seems to be all freaked out...

Yeah, that's a strange tale that. The common theory is that she disguised herself a man and ruled herself a few years, but then the man who ruled between Tut and his father goes missing... so either way, she goes missing.

I can't wait for tommorows episode, it's just so surreal. I think the writers went "What are 2 things that will never ever go together" and then they made this.

Btw can I get the title of 'Dream Lord'?

Hello, I'd love to join the club!

Why do you like Doctor Who?
    I love the sheer idea of it. That the Doctor can take you anywhere, and have any adventure imaginable. That anyone, provided they're clever enough, could be his companion. Also its positive take on the universe in general. Sure, there are aliens out there, but they don't all want to kill us. A lot of them do, granted, but not all of them.
    It's British. That's a good thing. As an acknowledged American, I have to say I'm a fan of British-ness.
    I also like the history; the show's forty-nine, going on fifty! Wow! Plenty of material to watch!
    I think the thing that does it for me is the humor. Doctor Who has just enough jokes to make it seem light-hearted most of the time, but when it wants to be, it gets serious. Really serious. Sometimes over-the-top, but that's never really an issue for me.

Who's your favorite Doctor?
    David Tennant. I know, it's the popular choice, but he was my first Doctor, and he wooed me with his sideburns and hair and glasses and trainers.
    I'm currently working my way through Classic Who (By "working my way through" I mean "stuck in a rut after completing 'The Web Planet' and hating it," so I haven't gotten very far), so my opinion might change. I'm liking the First Doctor so far, though!

Desired Character Title?
    Can I be a Torchwood character? Is Torchwood technically cannon? I've only watched through partway through the second series, so...
    Anyway, my choice is Toshiko Sato. Because she's a bit shy and science-y, kind of like me.
    If I can't have her, then Chantho. Because I watched "Utopia" with a friend and they were very emotional over Chantho. As was I. *bawls* But she's eager, and science-y, too, so it works.

And am I supposed to highlight all instances of "Doctor" and "Who?" Is that the way things are done around here?

Pokemon White friend code: 0648 2224 4895
    Pokemon White 2 friend code: 1550 3078 1849

"One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties.
    Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
    Goodbye Susan. Goodbye my dear."
    -The First Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker. View Post
    I can't wait for tommorows episode, it's just so surreal. I think the writers went "What are 2 things that will never ever go together" and then they made this.
    I know, I'm freaking out. Three of my favorite things, Dinosaurs, Ancient Egyptians, and Doctor Who. And I know I’m probably not going actually to get to watch it tomorrow… I’ve thought over it many times, if I was a companion and he asked me where we should go, I probably blurt out Cretaceous, and assuming we made it back to the T.A.R.D.I.S. alive, we’d immediately start arguing that the other one should have known better. I knew what was waiting for us there, and he was old enough to know better.

I always assumed what Steven Moffat did was he looked at Snakes on a Plane and thought, "We can do way, way better than that." Mhmm.

The Joker.: Yep, sure. I know the Dream Lord is arguably the same character as the Doctor, but I remember letting someone claim him as a separate title in the old club, so I'll let you do so here, as well. Oh, how I love the concept of the Dream Lord and Amy's Choice in general.

Thecatteam: Hi there! Welcome to the club. I hope you enjoy it here; feel free to join in the discussion or start some of your own. And Torchwood is absolutely canon (as is The Sarah Jane Adventures), so of course you can be Tosh!
    And am I supposed to highlight all instances of "Doctor" and "Who?" Is that the way things are done around here?
    No, not at all. o.o Did you find this thread through a forum search for "Doctor Who", perhaps? Because that would have made all instances of those two words appear bolded. It's not something we're doing ourselves.

VampirateMace, what's this about the Doctor being "old enough to know better"? I know he's going on 1104, but that still doesn't mean he's anything close to a mature and responsible adult. The psychic paper even once shorted out rather than claim him to be as such. =P

I'm rather fond of dinosaurs, too. Yay for them being on a spaceship in only four and a half hours!

-elyvorg/Amelia
    LOST EVOLUTION

Foregone Conclusion

I'd say DoaS will deal with Nefertiti's disappearance, since Riann Steele, the actor playing her, mentioned it in an interview. She could just find the fact interesting, but since Who writers love filling in the blanks with historical figures, I'm guessing otherwise.

Speaking of DoaS actors, I've just spoiled something for myself, thanks to the BBC's cast list. Damn it.

Spoiler:- DoaS actor; you'll probably prefer to find out during the episode:

Just over three hours!

Spoiler:- Dinosaurs:

Man, there's the Doctor Who I know and love. Last episode just seemed like Melodrama, this one was just having fun.

Spoiler:- Dinosaurs:

All in all, hilarious episode. Would watch again.

All this and more on my tumblr!
    I can breed premier ball Johto starters.
    3DS: 1160-9852-7611
    Will-Powered Spriter

Quote Originally Posted by elyvorg View Post
    No, not at all. o.o Did you find this thread through a forum search for "Doctor Who", perhaps? Because that would have made all instances of those two words appear bolded. It's not something we're doing ourselves.
    ...right. I should have realized that. Oh, well.

I can't wait for "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship!" After the seriousness (well, sort of...) of "Asylum of the Daleks," a light-hearted episode will be appreciated!

Pokemon White friend code: 0648 2224 4895
    Pokemon White 2 friend code: 1550 3078 1849

"One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties.
    Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
    Goodbye Susan. Goodbye my dear."
    -The First Doctor

Spoiler:- Dinosaur on a Spaceship:

Next week looks cool. I wanna see how things play out.
    ┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐

Well, that was pretty good.

Spoiler:- Dinosaurs! On a spaceship!:

I'm very excited about next week. It's moral dilemma time!

Last edited by The Eleventh; 8th September 2012 at 9:12 PM.

Spoiler:- Additional thoughts and a question.:

All this and more on my tumblr!
    I can breed premier ball Johto starters.
    3DS: 1160-9852-7611
    Will-Powered Spriter

Quote Originally Posted by Will-powered Spriter View Post
        Spoiler:- Additional thoughts and a question.:

Spoiler:
        Spoiler:

Heeee! That episode was so much giddy fun. 8D

Spoiler:- Dinosaurs on a Spaceship:

Spoiler:- Next Time:

Actually, speaking of something I mentioned in my spoiler but not to spoil anything here: are Amy and Rory the same age? In The Eleventh Hour, Amy was nineteen, and Rory was already a nurse; can you be a nurse at nineteen? It's just I always assumed, especially from the flashback in Let's Kill Hitler, that to have been childhood friends the way they were they'd have had to be in the same school year. I can't quite imagine Amelia having been the dominant influence she clearly was over Rory if she were notably younger than him.

Will-powered Spriter -
        Spoiler:- About dinosaurs:

-elyvorg/Amelia
    Last edited by elyvorg; 15th September 2012 at 5:35 PM.
    LOST EVOLUTION

Foregone Conclusion

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast