Thread: Wishing Star's Sprites and Maps

Default Wishing Star's Sprites and Maps

Hello everyone!

I've been motivated to make my own Pokémon sprites and stuff for awhile, but I've never had the time to post them. Now I do, so here are some of them!

They'll be organized by date of submission. Comments and critique welcome!

-=-=-=-=-=-

Bag menu sprites. They go in the order of items, medicine, Poké Balls, TM's and HM's, berries, key items, and free storage. I know not many people actually bother to do this, but I was bored one day and so I decided to make them.

Berry pouch and key items case were based off of the original, whereas the rest I made from scratch.
    For the main bag and medicine pouch, I didn't like how the sprites in the fifth-gen games were "incomplete", so I completed them. I also felt the need to re-add the Poké Ball pouch.

By the way, I only made one set of bag sprites to match my Pokémon trainer self (which is in my trainer card). If I ever feel like it, I'll make the second set of bag sprites for the male characters, but it won't be anytime soon.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Man, it's been a month since I've last posted anything here.

Walking and running sprites and their animations. I'm mostly looking for critiques on the actual sprites.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Don't worry, there will be maps of my made-up region soon! (No Pokémon, though. I like the idea of having already-existing Pokémon inhabiting my region rather than make up a whole bunch of new Pokémon. Sorry!)
    Last edited by Wishing Star; 18th August 2012 at 2:52 AM.

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

I like your work, its what people like here on Serebii too.
    It might be fun for you to do requests from others aswell so you can perhaps gain more reconition and even for improvement

Visit my Secret Base and let me know if you enjoyed it

Recent Hatch:

Wow, the bag sprites look like they were ripped straight out of a game! You really nailed the shading style that they have, as well as the way they're drawn.
    Everything in your signature is so perfect, too o: You put a lot of work into them, and it shows!
    I'd love to see more ^^

I'm not so fond of the handle of the bag. It looks very rough and jagged. Perhaps a more smoother and slick look where it flows well. And the pillow-shading is really bothersome; an alternative is to get a few shades only and shade it, but it's your choice. They look nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by Azulart View Post
    I like your work, its what people like here on Serebii too.
    It might be fun for you to do requests from others aswell so you can perhaps gain more reconition and even for improvement
    Thanks!
    And I've considered doing requests, but I usually find myself slacking off and not getting to them, so I'd rather not anger people due to my laziness.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyLugia View Post
    Wow, the bag sprites look like they were ripped straight out of a game! You really nailed the shading style that they have, as well as the way they're drawn.
    Everything in your signature is so perfect, too o: You put a lot of work into them, and it shows!
    I'd love to see more ^^
    Thank you!
    Though I'm not so happy about the pillow-shading that I've done, but I feel like it was the only thing I could really do to make it look "proper" enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Digit View Post
    I'm not so fond of the handle of the bag. It looks very rough and jagged. Perhaps a more smoother and slick look where it flows well. And the pillow-shading is really bothersome; an alternative is to get a few shades only and shade it, but it's your choice. They look nice though.
    I really didn't know how to handle the bag handle (yeah, horrible pun), so I just shaded at parts where I thought it would fold and stuff. The outline of the handle does look jagged, but I don't really know how to fix it.

On which sprites is the "bothersome shading" the most noticeable? If it's the Poké Ball case, then I agree, but again, I don't really know how to fix it.

If you have any ideas on how to fix them, I'd love to hear them. I'm happy you critiqued. (:

[IMG]http://i46.*******.com/2dlmd1t.jpg[/IMG]

Here's an image that I whipped up that could help you. I'll explain it simply in points relating to the image:

Too many shades on handle
    Simply put, you had too many shades. Sometimes too much anti-aliasing (on a small object) can make it blurry and it's not necessary to have that many shades in this case.

Awkward handle
    There was awkward outlining. I'm not saying this type of outlining is bad, but it makes the handle look bumpy and jagged.

Outlines are usually recommended 1 2 3 or in that kind of order like 1 1 2 2 3 3 (If you need more explaining then I can help)

Banding isn't recommended
    Banding can be much like pillow-shading. This is what banding is if you don't know:
    Last edited by Digit; 4th August 2012 at 10:48 AM.

Too many shades on handle
    Simply put, you had too many shades. Sometimes too much anti-aliasing (on a small object) can make it blurry and it's not necessary to have that many shades in this case.
    Ah, okay. I was trying to replicate the number of shades on the (incomplete) bag sprite that appears in the Bag menu in BW and BW2. It looked weird to me, too, but I figured I might as well have uploaded what I had for critique.

Also, the bag sprite on the right makes the bag look really stuffed, which I wanted it to look like in the first place. (:

Awkward handle
    There was awkward outlining. I'm not saying this type of outlining is bad, but it makes the handle look bumpy and jagged.
    Yeah, the outline just looked weird. I don't remember, but I think I drew it extremely free-hand, which made the result look jagged and awkward.
    Same mistake of using too many shades on such a small bag handle.

Outlines are usually recommended 1 2 3 or in that kind of order like 1 1 2 2 3 3 (If you need more explaining then I can help)
    Do the 1, 2, and 3 refer to a width/height, or do they refer to shades of color? I don't get what you mean by the numbers.

Banding isn't recommended
    Banding can be much like pillow-shading. This is what banding is if you don't know:
    I hate banding, too. Most banding that I do is coincidental. x_x

This is from an artist and video game designer, Derek Yu.

Anyways, this is what I mean by the numbers. Obviously on the right is what you're doing which makes things jagged and not really smooth. You should go in order like in the picture, for example:
    2 3 5 6 7
    2 4 2 3 5

And I'm quite the hypocrite (kind of) because I run into banding a lot with my pixel art and it can't be helped. xD

This is from an artist and video game designer, Derek Yu.

Anyways, this is what I mean by the numbers. Obviously on the right is what you're doing which makes things jagged and not really smooth. You should go in order like in the picture, for example:
    2 3 5 6 7
    2 4 2 3 5

And I'm quite the hypocrite (kind of) because I run into banding a lot with my pixel art and it can't be helped. xD
    Ah, so that's what you mean. I have a bad habit of using the pencil tool to draw entire lines of pixels, which makes the outlines look truncated and jagged like that.

Same thing with shading, too, which creates that yucky banding look.

Walking and running sprites and their animations. I'm mostly looking for critiques on the actual sprites.

Comments and critiques? (: