Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gym Leader (insert name here) would like to battle.

Default Gym Leader (insert name here) would like to battle.

There was a guy on Funimation's old forums by the name of insertnamehere but he no longer goes to the new forums due to the lag.

Anyways, this isn't the topic to discuss about other people on other forums. This topic is about battling with a team consisting of only one type (like a gym leader). Yes, I was inspired by this thread on Smogon and thought I'd bring it here (I have no creativity).

Discuss your opinions here and mention notable members. Also talk about your experiences with a mono-type team. I will be updating the main thread with notable members of each type every now and then so keep posted. As for what tiers to discuss about, I think OU would be the safest call but later I'm sure we could discuss about using a mono-type team in the other tiers.

Should I make a list of notable members (with you guys helping me of course)?
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Normal type gyms should ultimately have the best Pokemon, since a lot of types are coupled with normal, and normal has some of the highest stat holders, and all learn a variety of moves. Plus they have Miltank, with Rollout...

Notable members
    Slaking
    Staraptor
    Girafarig
    Ditto
    Snorlax
    Ursaring
    Exploud
    Porygon-Z
    Stoutland
    Buffolant

Back in early 2011, I used to participate on the Monotype ladder on the Pokémon Online server using a team consisting of Dragonite, Flygon, Haxorus, Salamence, Garchomp and Hydreigon, and remember being extremely successful there, as my six dragons utterly tore their way through my opponents' teams with their devastatingly powerful attacks. I have long stopped participating in that tier though, as I lost interest in it after Xavier Final, the moderator in charge of that tier, later placed a restriction on Dragon Monotype teams, by forbidding any team from containing more than two Pokémon out of the following: Dragonite, Garchomp, Hydreigon and Kyurem.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokémon Trainer R View Post
    Back in early 2011, I used to participate on the Monotype ladder on the Pokémon Online server using a team consisting of Dragonite, Flygon, Haxorus, Salamence, Garchomp and Hydreigon, and remember being extremely successful there, as my six dragons utterly tore their way through my opponents' teams with their devastatingly powerful attacks. I have long stopped participating in that tier though, as I lost interest in it after Xavier Final, the moderator in charge of that tier, later placed a restriction on Dragon Monotype teams, by forbidding any team from containing more than two Pokémon out of the following: Dragonite, Garchomp, Hydreigon and Kyurem.
    However, this is still legal in normal matches (bar Garchomp, I think).

Never really tried it myself. Might try a mono-Normal on Pokemon Online using my combination of Smeargle and Regigigas. To boot, Ditto and Melotta have been released. Aside from that, I'm just curious about your experiences using mono-type teams.

I don't usually like these kind of teams, since they usually share weaknesses. Anyway, I once did try out a Dark-type team. I first tried to make an uber team from uber-metagame Pokemon. Here's how it went:

Dark Arceus
    Darkrai
    Bisharp
    Shiftry
    Hydreigon
    Tyranitar

This team got a bit hard to use, as these are literally the only six Dark-type that are viable in Ubers. Among the problems it had were that all of them are weak to Fighting- and Bug- type moves, Tyranitar's Sandstream chipped off health on all except Bisharp, and Shiftry had trouble abusing its ability, since there was no permanent sunlight. I guess I could have gone with Unnerve on Tyranitar, but the specially defense boost really came in handy sometimes.

An OU Dark-type team is much easier to use. This is how it went:
    Bisharp
    Hydreigon
    Sableye
    Scrafty
    Sharpedo
    Weavile

This team had more success. Sableye could switch in when a Fighting-type move was directed at something else, and the opponent usually had to switch for fear of being burned by Prankster Will-O-Wisp. Scrafty could always take any Bug-type moves, bar Escavalier's Megahorn, and counter-attack provided it had got in a Dragon Dance.
    DW Pokemon I can offer:

I beat a Mono-Steel team with a Mono-Psychic team once.

HP Fighting/Focus Blast/Close Combat (From my Gallade) was used a lot. xD

The team was mostly based on Trick Room

Musharna
    Reuniclus
    Metagross
    Sigilyph
    Gallade
    Slowbro

Can't remember the sets right now... :/
    Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the banner

RPer's profile, 3DS Friend Code, and Nintendo Network ID

I think Mono-Steel pretty much runs away with best Monotype.

The reasons being is that there are so many great pokemon that can cover the Steel Type's natural weaknesses. You've got Heatran (And Empoleon to a lesser extent) for Fire, Bronzong, Skarmory, Ferrothorn and anything with a Balloon for Ground and finally Bronzong, Jirachi, Metagross and Skarmory for fighting.

That said, you're still at a big disadvantage if against a Mono Fighting because of the amount of powerhouses it can field.
    Hey Serebii, how you doing? Not sure how many of you guys from way back are out there, but just to let you know that I'm back, though I'm not sure how regularly I'll be on. Thanks for everything, and I hope I can continue to enjoy my time here!

3DS Friend Code: 2105 - 8928 - 6860

Looking for any breedable flawless Pokemon!

I've found that one of the most successful types for monotype teams is the Psychic type, mainly because of the raw number of diverse Pokemon with secondary typing. You can run a team like Latios/Celebi/Jirachi/Starmie/Reuniclus/Victini, and your opponent might not even realize that you're running a Psychic monotype due to the fact that most dual type Psychic Pokemon are usually characterized by their other typing. Psychic types also occupy a wide variety of roles, such as spinners, supporters, walls, wall breakers, and sweepers.

There are also 3:3 Monotypes, guys.

I can't comment on Electric Monotypes, since I could spoil my L.E.G gym team. They are good for sure.
    But, of course, Steel + Rain is really good anyways.
        Spoiler:- Current Hunts:

I have claimed Registeel!

In addition to the Dragon Monotype team I mentioned before, I also briefly tried a Flying Monotype team with Thundurus, Aerodactyl, Charizard, Gyarados, Salamence and Dragonite. It was decent, although I mainly created this team for the aesthetics of it, rather than as a serious attempt to make a good and competitive team.

Water monotype seems the strongest because it have rain and have the most variety as water pokemon are the most common

and about normal types they are normally NOT combined with other types.. the only common type which normal combines with is flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

I had a fairly good Psychic monotype team in Gen 4, but I haven't tried a true monotype team in Gen 5. I have, however, done a few 3:3 Monotype teams. I'm right with everyone else, though, Psychic and Steel are the best. I'd tend to lead more towards Psychic, though, if you're looking for the best.
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

Normal is great monotype; it has porygon2 and togekiss.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

I've discovered that Dragon is not the best monotype. Every dragon outside of ubers has a weakness to ice-type moves, most of which have double weaknesses.
    DW Pokemon I can offer:

Surprised no one's mentioned Water. It's been paired with almost every other type. Combine with Ground, Grass, Dragon, or Electric and you get rid of the Electric weakness. Combine with Flying, Dragon, Poison, Steel, or Bug to remove the Grass weakness. Plus there's the Rain boost.

Quote Originally Posted by MatchMaster View Post
    I've discovered that Dragon is not the best monotype. Every dragon outside of ubers has a weakness to ice-type moves, most of which have double weaknesses.
    Kingdra says hi.

I have claimed Giratina

Quote Originally Posted by MatchMaster View Post
    By taking advantage of items like Focus Sash, Yache Berry and Choice Scarf, Dragonite's Multiscale and ExtremeSpeed, and dragons with a neutrality to Ice-type moves such as Kingdra and Kyurem, a Dragon Monotype team can typically power its way through any users of Ice-type moves. Unless the opponent has an Ice Monotype team, it is highly unlikely that their team will contain more than two or three users of Ice-type moves, so the Dragon Monotype team would usually just have to sacrifice at most a few members to take down the opponent's Pokémon that know Ice-type moves, being proceeding to slaughter the rest of the opponent's team with their superior power.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser soze View Post
    Surprised no one's mentioned Water. It's been paired with almost every other type. Combine with Ground, Grass, Dragon, or Electric and you get rid of the Electric weakness. Combine with Flying, Dragon, Poison, Steel, or Bug to remove the Grass weakness. Plus there's the Rain boost.

Kingdra says hi.
    I mentioned it..
    Bug is also a good monotype having the most used pokemon in OU- scizor
    and having exellent pokemon like forretress,volcarona,heracross,galvantula and more..

poison might be the worst mono type cause most of them are not that good (gengar and nidoking I know...)

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Then there's Fire, usually a third (if not more due to the poorness in entry hazard users) of the teams are already picked out...

Ninetales is passable option but it can't be ignored due to Drought. Torkoal is also mandatory due to how crippling Stealth Rock is to a mono-Fire team and it is the only Fire type that can learn Rapid Spin. Torkoal does have a solid build with defences similar to Forretress but Fire is poor defensively that combined with its Special Defence make it hard to take attacks from common special based counters, it also lacks a way of recovery outside of Rest, and 85 base Special Attack doesn't get it far offensively. If it only got Slack Off like Monferno, then I think it would get a lot more respect.

Then there are entry hazards and it doesn't go that well here. All Fire types that have is access to an entry hazard only have access to Stealth Rock. Magcargo and Camperupt lack the neccessary builds and have a glaring Water weakness which not even intense sunlight will help. Torkoal can also learn Stealth Rock but it's flaws stick out in this role. All that is left with is Infernape (which works better as a sweeper on a mono-Fire team) and Heatran who can preform the role well but that glaring Ground weakness does not help even with an Air Balloon.

Aside from that, mono-Fire is hit and miss.

I actually really like the idea of flying type mono. Before this generation this idea would have been much worse, as there is obviously a glaring Stealth Rock weakness. However with 5th gen came Magic Bounce Xatu, who can help to keep hazards off the field. Flying types also have a range of secondary types that helps with weakness. Flying types have good: Stealth Rock Users, Physical and Special Sweepers, Physical Tanks, Physical Walls, Stall Breakers, Baton Passers, and the list goes on. Examples of useable Pokemon are:

Gyarados
    Dragonite
    Xatu
    Skarmory
    Salamence
    Gliscor
    Thundurus-T
    Tornadus
    Tornadus-T
    Landorus
    Landorus-T

some other non OU, but useable Pokemon include:

Aerodactyl
    Crobat
    Zapdos
    Yanmega
    Ninjask
    Togekiss
    Staraptor

GodDamnZilla

Steel is real good for a mono-team, I used to have one with:
    Ferrothorn,
    Heatran,
    Skarmory,
    Scizor,
    Metagross
    and Jirachi.

Other good Steel types are:
    Forretress
    Lucario
    Magnezone
    Cobalion

The good thing about steel types is that they mostly have great stats, and good movepools. They also resist SR, and they have a spinner, phazers, annoyers, trickers, special attackers, physical attackers, trappers, set-up sweepers and hazards. Everything a team needs.
    image file size too large, removed - mod

I kinda want to raise a water type mono team after I beat bw2.

Lanturn (favourite pokemon), counters electricity and can volt switch into Gyrados to counter ground and grass
    Gyrados, counters grass a breaks/cripple glass cannons
    Azumarill, huge power aqua jet stall break FTW?
    Empoleom, awesome sweeper, steel is an awesome type
    Ludicolo, for being pure awesome with that smile
    Last slot goes to water/psychic type: still can't decide which, but I'm looking for a possible sleep inducer

Anyone sees a flaw in this set?

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    I kinda want to raise a water type mono team after I beat bw2.

Lanturn (favourite pokemon), counters electricity and can volt switch into Gyrados to counter ground and grass
    Gyrados, counters grass a breaks/cripple glass cannons
    Azumarill, huge power aqua jet stall break FTW?
    Empoleom, awesome sweeper, steel is an awesome type
    Ludicolo, for being pure awesome with that smile
    Last slot goes to water/psychic type: still can't decide which, but I'm looking for a possible sleep inducer

Anyone sees a flaw in this set?
    Starmie's an amazing Water-Psychic type. As for a sleep inducer, Politoed is an excellent choice that can bring endless rain to the table.

I once used a water monotype consisting of these 4 Pokemon :
    samurott
    Seismitoad(correct me if I. spelled it wrong)
    Swanna
    Carracosta
    Now I used this and it swept some teams pretty well.
    Check out Dragon-Tamer club..had to remove it because sig was too big. (Mod: As was having the water club)

Credit to Savanny
    CREDIT TO CYRIUS[
    Need someone to train your pokemon or breed for one ? I will do it.

I choose a water type:
    ~Empoleon
    ~Rotom-W
    ~Azumarril
    ~Kingdra
    ~Swampert
    ~Quagsire

I tryed a Mono Ground on PO, it worked well but lacked a few counters too common pokes (also Nidoking is just a BEAST )
    Landorus (good sweeper and one of the most reliable ground pokes to use SR)
    Donphan (rapid spinner and SR)
    Gliscor
    Dugtrio
    Flygon
    Nidoking
    Quagsire

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast