Page 9 of 65 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: 5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread

While we're on the subject of shinies and B/W 2, is anyone tempted to hold off until they're released? I kinda want shinies now, regardless of the new games' benefits.

edit: I mean benefits like 100% nature inheritance with Everstone, the charms to encounter shinies more frequently, the automatic shinies, and anything I haven't heard of yet.
    Last edited by JohnNiles; 27th July 2012 at 8:14 PM.

While they give out a shiny haxxorus in the new games, you don't get the shiny dex data for axew and fraxure. So, I would also be inclined to breed an axew.
    @JohnNiles, I'm actually trying to get as much of the Kanto dex in shiny form as I can before the new games come out. A little side-tracked with the birthday Drilbur right now, but once I finish that it's back to Rattata and Spearow hunting for me. I'm one of those people who like to do things before the nerf as much as possible.
    Pearl BQ: 1.2.3.4.
    SS BQ: 1.2.3.4.

No new shinies, but i did IV checks on some of my shinies, most were poor or average, but these two were my best

I have a few questions that no one seems to answer for the masuda method-

1. If you go into a battle/save/go into a room other than a daycare/fly, does it reset your chance of getting a Shiny?
    2. What are the chances that you don't get a shiny after getting 1366 eggs and hatching them all
    3. Is there any better way to get Shinies on Black/White?
    4. If you change the pokemon your breeding, does it reset your chances?

1. Untrue, it doesn't. Walking can make you miss a shiny, so not really.
    2. 1/1366 is a probability. It won't always happen after 1365 eggs, so it can happen anytime.
    3. No, there isn't. However, BW2 has the Shining Charm that cuts the probability down to 1/1028?
    4. Of course not.
        Spoiler:- Current Hunts:

I have claimed Registeel!

Quote Originally Posted by AquaRegisteel View Post
    1. Untrue, it doesn't. Walking can make you miss a shiny, so not really.
    2. 1/1366 is a probability. It won't always happen after 1365 eggs, so it can happen anytime.
    3. No, there isn't. However, BW2 has the Shining Charm that cuts the probability down to 1/1028?
    4. Of course not.
    1/1,024, actually... Flipped a coin on my way home from work tonight to see what I'd be doing (heads - Turnback Cave SRing, tails - egg gathering). It was tails, so guess what I'm doing...?
    Current Hunts

2,470 SRs/4,940 birds seen - PAUSED

ΩR BQ Hunt #6 - Eon Ticket Latias

3,500 Run Aways

Quote Originally Posted by AquaRegisteel View Post
    It isn't RGN btw, it's RNG.

Anyways. This is true in a sense, but RNG is based on time. RNG is basically centred around the DS clock, and if you adjust it to certain times, you can find shinies and flawless pokemon. However, some hunters call it a form of cheating for shinies, but some can RNG but prefer to naturally hunt for shinies.
    Ah, yeah sorry I know it's RNG - I just sometimes say it backwards in my head lol I don't plan to use that program because I feel like it's cheating as well.

And thank you to danger and yncrn for answering too!

3ds FC - 3411-0939-9232
    IGN: Serana (X) | Arya (AS)
    6th gen shiny count: 40

Current Hunts:
    Suicune (AS) - 450 SRs

Most recent shiny:
    Lugia after 2,078 SRs!

Live Shiny Lugia! :3

Quote Originally Posted by Dangertrout View Post
    I'm one of those people who like to do things before the nerf as much as possible.
    I am also one of those people, but my question is are you referring to the shining charm in BW2? Because it seems pretty difficult to obtain, I don't really see it as too big of a nerf. Well, it is definitely more of a nerf for RE than MMing, but still.

Moving on, Hatched 106 total Castform eggs. It seems to be taking a lot longer because they take almost 2x the steps for hatching than my last hunt. I still have 7 more boxes to hatch before another egg collecting spree.

I am really excited about this hunt because you don't see shiny Castforms often

Oh and @JohnNiles - 100% Everstone nature is a nice perk, but not something that I feel the need to wait months without MMing for. The gift shinies are cheap and I don't count them as actual shiny targets. The shining charm takes a long time to get and most of my current hunts are MM, where the shining charm's impact is significantly less than its impact on RE hunts.

Going to take a break of hatching for a bit and then back to it tonight. I am trying to get this shiny before I go away on holiday in a week. Looking for those bright yellow eyes on castform =p

Kalos Team: Delphox, Florges, Aegislash, Heliolisk, Hawlucha, Avalugg
    Latest Shiny: Helioptile

Fire Safari: Ponyta, Pyroar, Braixen - 1478-3803-9332
    I have claimed #671, Florges

*credit to Equal-To-Heaven for the clock

Will you guys consider using the shiny charm as cheating? Just curious.

For my hunt, still gathering sandslash eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by jellywolffy View Post
    Will you guys consider using the shiny charm as cheating? Just curious.

For my hunt, still gathering sandslash eggs.
    I personally don't consider it cheating, primarily for two main reasons:
    a. You've already worked hard for it. After catching the 638 required Pokémon (it is 638, I'm pretty sure), it's a reward that you deserve. And even if you hack it into your game...
    b. The satisfaction of getting a shiny varies from person to person. One person may feel great after catching a shiny using the Shiny Charm, while another may not feel as happy unless they caught it with the 1/8192 chance.

As for me, I think getting a shiny in of itself is awesome. It doesn't matter whether it was a 1/1024 or 1/8192 chance; the fact that I still have a new shiny makes me happy for the day. (:

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

I wouldn't consider it cheating, but I won't use it for the pokemon whose nature/abilities/skills I want to tinker with.

Now that I know the requirement for getting it, I think it's terribly ironic. I was sort of saving one of my carts to have as many shinies as pokedex images as possible (if your first catch or encounter, I forget which, is shiny, then its pokedex entry image defaults to shiny). I messed that up somewhat by downloading a bunch of Dream World pokes, and it looks like I won't be doing that for Black 2/White 2.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNiles View Post
    Now that I know the requirement for getting it, I think it's terribly ironic. I was sort of saving one of my carts to have as many shinies as pokedex images as possible (if your first catch or encounter, I forget which, is shiny, then its pokedex entry image defaults to shiny). I messed that up somewhat by downloading a bunch of Dream World pokes, and it looks like I won't be doing that for Black 2/White 2.
    umm you can change it via the Pokedex itself.

As long as you've obtained the Shiny form, you can change the default sprite displayed on the Pokedex into the Shiny one.

And it's "permanent", the displayed sprite will always be the shiny one until you change it back into the non-shiny one (but why would you do that? )

So it actually doesn't matter at all if the first isn't the shiny one, since you can change the Pokedex sprite into the shiny one anyway, as soon as you obtain the shiny form.

anyway, 375 eggs for Squirtle, still no shiny yet.

My shinies. Just click the links~

~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~
    ~Shiny Banner 3~

My shinies are not for trade or cloning.
    Shinies are not listed in order, for example the last shiny on the banner is not always the latest shiny I've obtained.
    Banner 1 made by Light Venusaur, thanks ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by PocketMonstre View Post
    I am also one of those people, but my question is are you referring to the shining charm in BW2? Because it seems pretty difficult to obtain, I don't really see it as too big of a nerf. Well, it is definitely more of a nerf for RE than MMing, but still.
    Yeah, I'm calling it a nerf, even if it's not that big a difference. And while it IS work to complete a dex, I've been playing since RBY and have all the games from then until now, so it's more a matter of trading for me. Still work, but it's not like i'm starting from scratch.

And, no, I don't consider it cheating. You earn your charm and the right to use it. anyways, I'm sure I'll still have hunts that go up to 4K, even with the charm
    Pearl BQ: 1.2.3.4.
    SS BQ: 1.2.3.4.

Been MMing for a shiny Zorua as of late. So far, have about six boxes (haven't been keeping perfect track of the egg count) and no luck. Of course, that's approximately 200 eggs or so, so I'm not very surprised that I haven't encountered one yet.

On another note, I just caught a random-encounter shiny Swanna on Marvelous Bridge, making it my third RE shiny. I seem to have more luck finding shinies via RE than I do MMing XD
    3DS FC: 4656 - 7669 - 3055
    Versions: X
    Friend Safari: Dragon || Gabite - Noibat - Sliggoo

PM before adding~

I'm happy to anounce I have two new shinies! I got bored of hatching eggs and SR for kyurem, so I went chaining again and I got me a male and female shiny dunsparce! For those of you who watch my YouTube channel, I'll have it up soon!
    Here's the video: http://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=m...&v=-jaepUBLL3g
    Last edited by StingrayKurt; 28th July 2012 at 3:04 AM.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson_Blazer View Post
    I dont know if he posts here, but a youtuber named kaosdarkrai has a female combee, and also went through alot of shinies to get it. I think something like 7 tranquill
    While it is nice to find a shiny, I imagine that finding seven of the same shiny when you're after something specific is a nightmare rather than a dream. What an awesome shiny it is, though.

This is slightly different, but one of my favourite Pokemon is Mothim, and I'd love a shiny one. I bred for ages on Platinum, and nothing shone. Then I switched it to Black a year or more later, and luckily hatched a shiny within 25 eggs or so! I prayed it was a male, and to my dismay I found it wasn't. It was quite frustrating, because not only does Wormadam have a pretty lame shiny sprite, I am now paranoid of hunting for it again and finding yet another female. But hey, I guess talking about this sort of stuff with female Combee goes to show that you just have to push on, because if you want something bad enough, you just can't give up or think that way.

Friend Codes:
    5456 0313 8777 - Water Safari: Octillery, Floatzel, Frogadier
    0146 9781 1948 - Fairy Safari: Kirlia, Floette, Swirlix

I took a break from Shiny hunting a few weeks ago, but I'm back in the game (literally). I've decided to work on two hunts this/next month: a Shiny Togepi Masuda Method hunt and a Shiny Lunatone random encounter hunt. I plan to work on the Shiny Togepi hunt first since it seems like it'll be the easiest, and I'll start working on the Shiny Lunatone hunt after I've hatched at least 1,000 Togepi eggs. I've just about completed my Shiny Pokedex, so there isn't much else left for me to cover in the Shiny Pokemon department.

I'm up to 49 eggs on my Purrloin MM. Hoping for a quick hunt!
    ~RaichuArcanine~

My Shiny Card
    White BQ:
    Hunting: <-OR

I was just browsing the net and I came across someone who posted this:

"Looks like I'll be releasing my Masuda Method shinies, seeing as they are not 'true' shinies."

I can't tell if they're being serious or not, but I was wondering: Do people really think this way? If so, wow ... I don't really know what to say about that.

I have a few MM shinies. They're as special to me as any other, and some of them took so long to appear, countless hours of hatching. And on the other hand, I've had random encounter shinies that appeared within a few encounters. I just don't know what to think anymore. I mean, my shiny Pokemon are always going to be special to me, but why does it seem that so many people seem to be competing or seem to care what others think? I find it a little absurd.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Friend Codes:
    5456 0313 8777 - Water Safari: Octillery, Floatzel, Frogadier
    0146 9781 1948 - Fairy Safari: Kirlia, Floette, Swirlix

Quote Originally Posted by Zane Clarthy View Post

"Looks like I'll be releasing my Masuda Method shinies, seeing as they are not 'true' shinies."

I can't tell if they're being serious or not, but I was wondering: Do people really think this way? If so, wow ... I don't really know what to say about that.

I have a few MM shinies. They're as special to me as any other, and some of them took so long to appear, countless hours of hatching. And on the other hand, I've had random encounter shinies that appeared within a few encounters. I just don't know what to think anymore. I mean, my shiny Pokemon are always going to be special to me, but why does it seem that so many people seem to be competing or seem to care what others think? I find it a little absurd.

That is pretty absurd. MM is completely legitimate, but I guess some people are just really picky. If this person actually does this, they will most likely end up regretting it. I know I would..

People are just getting all worked up with MM and the Shining Charm and what is legit and what isn't- its a lot of drama. IMO, I just want my shinies to be non-hacked, non-RNG'ed, and not traded for (must have OT from one of MY games, so I must have obtained it myself.)

People will hopefully calm down about all of this and things will settle down.

I've been hatching eggs ALL night and have reached 280 Castforms hatched with about 1-2 boxes left to hatch. Getting kind of tired, I need to slow my hatching pace down a lot if I want to survive a long hunt.

Good luck to everyone in their shiny endeavors.

Kalos Team: Delphox, Florges, Aegislash, Heliolisk, Hawlucha, Avalugg
    Latest Shiny: Helioptile

Fire Safari: Ponyta, Pyroar, Braixen - 1478-3803-9332
    I have claimed #671, Florges

*credit to Equal-To-Heaven for the clock

Any shiny that is caught in a legit way(SR-MM-RE-Event-InGame) on a legit game card is a real shiny.

Spoiler:- Y Badge Quest:

All shinies caught within the game without a cheating device like an AR are legit. I don't care if a person uses MM or a shiny charm, the shiny is still legit and takes effort to get. A while back I considered not counting my chained shinies in my collection but I changed my mind as I caught them with an item within the game, not cheating or anything. MM is a part of the game and a little bonus that the devs put in for shiny hunters, shouldn't people be happy that they have included little things like this?

So yeah in my opinion, using MM or a shiny charm or any other in-game means for shiny hunting is not cheating and people should enjoy the shinies they get through those methods and not worry about what others think. I'm sure most people are hunting shinies for themselves, not to impress others, if you're happy with your shiny, that's all that matters Sorry, rambled on a bit there

Just want to add that my Chargestone Cave hunt is still ongoing and is now at 7723 REs, I'm still hopeful that something will shine one day soon.
    Last edited by Jessara; 28th July 2012 at 7:58 AM.
    Newest Shiny!

Caterpie - 10/5/2014 Pokemon Y
    3DS Friend Code #1: 1590-6027-9053 Water Friend Safari
    3DS Friend Code #2: 1693-1676-9063 Dragon Friend Safar

I've got to say my thoughts on the method of MM. Having not been into the whole shiny thing in previous games I thought I'd try my hand at it in black/white and I've been hatching Axew eggs since last night (32 hatched no shiny) to me it's 100% legit you've got to put a whole load of work in to get one and IMO if the shiny charm is given in game then whats the problem, it's there for a reason!

Also does the whole Magma Armor ability still work with 5th gen? Thanks in advance

best of luck with your hunting guys!
    Thanks to Sworn Metalhead for the awesome banner!

Spoiler:- My shiny card:
    Thanks to Rykerr for the shiny card

@ShinyHaxorus: yes, the magma armour ability still works in the fifth gen. I've been busy hatching Purrloin all day, and now I've hatched 181 with no shine. Fingers crossed I'll get it before I hit the 600 mark. I really want this shiny: Liepard is my favorite 5th gen pokemon, and I LOVE it's shiny form!
    ~RaichuArcanine~

My Shiny Card
    White BQ:
    Hunting: <-OR

Yay, a new thread~ Congrats on all the recent shines everyone, including the ones from the end of the last thread!

After levelling up my main team a lot I started my Multihunt for Tepig/Snivy the other day. I've only hatched 30 eggs for Tepig so far, cause I've mainly gone back to focusing on my 4th Gen Groudon hunt for now to try and get a lot further with it :3.

If anyone's getting bored or has trouble focusing on their hunts, I think watching the Olympics while you're doing them could make it a bit funner XD I managed to do about 200 resets just watching the opening ceremony on TV last night!

Good luck everyone! ^_^
    ~Graoo!~

~Mightyena lover and Shiny Hunter~

[Pokemon Y Friend Safari: Fire--- Magmar, Larvesta and Braxien]

Page 9 of 65 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast