Page 8 of 65 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: 5th Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ Thread

Congrats on the shiny Charmander!

Boxed up 7 more boxes of Castform, hoping for another easy hunt like Zubat. I might do a side RE hunt in SS, but thats unrelated.

City of Delusion, I really hope you get that shiny Vespiqueen, it seems like you have wanted it for a while hehe.

Going to box up some more eggs and hatch them tomorrow. I am thinking about all of the shinies I want to hunt before BW2 English comes out so I feel like I am running out of time. Hoping Castform shines quickly. (There was a huge rainstorm when I was collecting eggs tonight, I'm hoping thats a good sign for Castform )

So: does anyone else get tired while MM'ing (or possibly RE'ing or other hunting methods? For some reason it puts me to sleep, not from boredom, but more the fact that its a bit relaxing. I find myself closing my eyes while riding my bike and briefly opening them while passing the Day Care Man.. its like I am MM'ing in my sleep

Kalos Team: Delphox, Florges, Aegislash, Heliolisk, Hawlucha, Avalugg
    Latest Shiny: Helioptile

Fire Safari: Ponyta, Pyroar, Braixen - 1478-3803-9332
    I have claimed #671, Florges

*credit to Equal-To-Heaven for the clock

Quote Originally Posted by PocketMonstre View Post
    Congrats on the shiny Charmander!

Boxed up 7 more boxes of Castform, hoping for another easy hunt like Zubat. I might do a side RE hunt in SS, but thats unrelated.

City of Delusion, I really hope you get that shiny Vespiqueen, it seems like you have wanted it for a while hehe.

Going to box up some more eggs and hatch them tomorrow. I am thinking about all of the shinies I want to hunt before BW2 English comes out so I feel like I am running out of time. Hoping Castform shines quickly. (There was a huge rainstorm when I was collecting eggs tonight, I'm hoping thats a good sign for Castform )

So: does anyone else get tired while MM'ing (or possibly RE'ing or other hunting methods? For some reason it puts me to sleep, not from boredom, but more the fact that its a bit relaxing. I find myself closing my eyes while riding my bike and briefly opening them while passing the Day Care Man.. its like I am MM'ing in my sleep
    Playing pokemon does make me tired, but never tired enough to sleep. Too bad, since it would really help out these days. just can't seem to fall asleep before 3am, no matter what I try >.<
    Silver lining: I get to play pokemon without it interfering with life activities

Drilbur hunt is still on, somewhere in the 150-200 range on eggs.
    Pearl BQ: 1.2.3.4.
    SS BQ: 1.2.3.4.

I've reached 1,600 Eggs in my Shiny Electrike Hunt on Pokémon Black. Still no luck in hatching it though... I hope it shines soon!

Good luck to everyone else on their hunts and congrats if you found any lately!
    Three Most Recent Shinies:

Registeel: Soft Reset(W2) / Latios: Soft Reset(B2) / Regice: Soft Reset(W2)
    PokéDex (Gen 5): 649/649 Completed as of March 4th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by rykerr1 View Post

Anyway, I'm back to boxing up Ponytas; I'm at 1574 right now and I would really like one before 2k >.< I've been hunting this since March and I'd really like to do something else!

And, 7 months ago today, I got a shiny Kyogre in Sapphire and started SRing for Snivy in Black... I find it really annoying that I STILL haven't played through the Black version that I got for Christmas. SHINE SNIVY!!!
    Good luck for your egg hatching, Rykerr, but more importantly for your Snivy SRs ... what a massive pain! It's long due, that's for sure. I don't think you will, but don't give up! Keep at it, and if Snivy is still being a pain, then you know where to come if you want to vent to prevent going nuts.

Hmm, a shiny club, you say? I don't know ... I don't really know if my opinion matters all that much, but if there is to be a shiny club, all these other topics may be ignored. Shouldn't we try to focus on reviving those, or at least posting in them a little bit more first? At the end of the day, I'd probably be happy with whatever. I need to post here more often, that's for sure, and any excuse will do. But yeah, I don't really know how it all works, and I hope that if it was done, it was done properly and in a way that it lasted for a long time, rather than a few months and then be ruined again.

Congratulations Stunk on that Charmander ... such dedication! And congrats on the Shieldon, Mogan!

City of Delusion, you were the one who was after a female Combee, and got basically everything else but ... and multiples, like a couple of Tranquills and three Rapidash, right? I wish you the best of luck! What a massive pain. I'm just wondering if anyone here has a shiny female Combee? If only a male one wasn't so useless then it wouldn't be such a problem. But yeah, your male Combee would basically be a trophy at the end of the day and that's it.
    Last edited by Kyle Clarthy; 27th July 2012 at 9:56 AM.

Friend Codes:
    5456 0313 8777 - Water Safari: Octillery, Floatzel, Frogadier
    0146 9781 1948 - Fairy Safari: Kirlia, Floette, Swirlix

I dont know if he posts here, but a youtuber named kaosdarkrai has a female combee, and also went through alot of shinies to get it. I think something like 7 tranquill

Well... I hit 12,018 encounters last night in the Giant Chasm. Still no shiny. I am starting to think my white's shiny generator is broken. jk. Hopefully I get my metang or ditto soon! Congratz everyone and gl!
    Y BQ COMPLETE!!: 1. Fennekin (Oct 21) 2. (Nov 3) 3. (Nov 17) 4. (Nov 17) 5. (Nov 17) 6. (Dec 10) 7. Klefki (Dec 13) 8. Trevenant (Dec 18)

Current Hunt: MMing Buneary

Friend Codes for Safari:
    X: 2165-6202-2279 (Type: Water with Panpour, Frogadier, and Wartortle)
    Y: 5370-0975-3532 (Type: Flying with Woobat, Pidgey, and Rufflet)

restarted HG about a month ago bred a team to play it with, then found a gold geodude right off the bat in the dark cave.
    thanks for the tips about shiny hunting... i feel a sudden drain on my free time coming up...
    Black FC: 3654 0467 5344
    looking for more dream girls and people I can add to my dream world friends to help build dream points.
    i will breed something with the IVs desired In exchange for good Dream world females, shinies, or event pokemon I am missing

Quote Originally Posted by PocketMonstre View Post

Yes! I don't get it during the day but I've gotten into the habit of either MMing or Reing before bed as it sends me to sleep. I always used to have problems with sleeping but not anymore haha.

Click for full shiny card!
    HG BQ:

Current Shiny Hunts:
    HG - Route 39 - 1400 REs ##### X - Route 10 - 600 REs

Still no blue Porygon.. This will be my first and last MM hunt. I prefer RE's much, much more.
    1210 eggs so far.
    First MM Shiny Hunt Completed!
    After:2648 eggs!

I want my shiny Cynda already!Befor i change target again.
    I'm currently @ 550 eggs hatched.
    Most recent shiny:
    3DS FC: 4227-2881-7628

I got tired of SRing for Volcorona, so I'm taking a break to MM Purrloin on my white. I got a Japanese one of the GTS earlier, so I'm all good. Hopefully this will be a quick hunt.
    ~RaichuArcanine~

My Shiny Card
    White BQ: Hunting:
    -I'm not a mundane: I'm a Shadowhunter! =D
    I have claimed Raichu!

The other day I was dual REing in Pinwheel Forest just for fun and 15 minutes later... a wild shiny Petitil appeared!

This was my quickest hunt ever with only 79 encounters.
    I'll add some pictures of Lily when, but unfortunately I couldn't make photos of her when she was a Petilil.

Also, yesterday, I got a shiny Abra in LG after 6 SRs, the 457th was him .

I'll edit this post with images when I'll can but now I can't use my 3DS, sorry :S.

My luck seems to be changing since that frozen Chikorita. Good luck to all with your hunts!
    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/v481g1.png[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i45.*******.com/14j9dn8.gif[/IMG]

I'm currently MMing for my first shiny. (without trade or event) Zorua is first.. then if I have the patience i'm starting with trying to get some first gen shinies (male nidoran, vulpix, and shellder..)

Also I have a question (hoping there are more people here that would know because it's a shiny thread...)
    While looking up tips for MMing, I came across two people on different websites that said that if you turn off your game (not putting it to sleep) that the RGN restarts - So keeping it in sleep mode won't restart the RGN and you are bound to run a cross a shiny, I'm assuming "faster."
    Is this true? It makes sense. But in all my years of pokemon, I've never seen someone bring up that point. Anyone have experiences with this?

6th gen shiny count: 39

Current Hunts:
    Lugia (AS): 150 SRs

Most recent shiny:
    Random Shiny Eevee 9 encounters AS

Hey I'm new to this whole shiny hunting thing. My goal is to get a shiny piplup in either pokemon diamond/platinum or in pokemon white. What's the best way to go about this?
    Shiny Hunt: 932srs

Quote Originally Posted by ohjeezitskim View Post
    I'm currently MMing for my first shiny. (without trade or event) Zorua is first.. then if I have the patience i'm starting with trying to get some first gen shinies (male nidoran, vulpix, and shellder..)

Also I have a question (hoping there are more people here that would know because it's a shiny thread...)
    While looking up tips for MMing, I came across two people on different websites that said that if you turn off your game (not putting it to sleep) that the RGN restarts - So keeping it in sleep mode won't restart the RGN and you are bound to run a cross a shiny, I'm assuming "faster."
    Is this true? It makes sense. But in all my years of pokemon, I've never seen someone bring up that point. Anyone have experiences with this?
    It isn't RGN btw, it's RNG.

Anyways. This is true in a sense, but RNG is based on time. RNG is basically centred around the DS clock, and if you adjust it to certain times, you can find shinies and flawless pokemon. However, some hunters call it a form of cheating for shinies, but some can RNG but prefer to naturally hunt for shinies.
    Yveltal, the Destruction Pokémon: "When its life comes to an end, it absorbs the life energy of every living thing and turns into a cocoon once more."

Spoiler:- Current Hunts:

I don't BELIEVE this to be true.

Regardless of if you turn your system on or off you're still going to have a 1:1,366 chance of the egg being shiny.

In my personal experience this is true as well. I was collecting box upon box upon box of Houndours, and I think the total number of eggs hatched before I turned my DS off was around 800 - no shiny.

Then, a while later, I turned my DS on and collected 10 boxes (300 eggs) and started hatching. Egg 28 was the shiny, just after turning my DS back on, and I still had 272 more to hatch after that, and I was slightly irritated with grinding my way through that many eggs. For that reason, I only collect 100 eggs at a time now. I figure it's a nice, round number that's easy to keep track of. I'm at 900 hatched now, and I simply collect 100 and start hatching, this way if one hatches anywhere in this 100 eggs I simply count how many are LEFT to be hatched and I have my number.

Easy, huh?

Either way you want to do it, STAY PATIENT. People tend to get discourage (myself included) when hatching and hatching and hatching and hatching, and also know that just because the odds are 1:1,366 doesn't mean you're guaranteed a shiny in that first 1,366.

See my (and lots of other users') signature if you don't believe me.

Spoiler:- My shinies:

Quote Originally Posted by firedojomaster View Post
    Hey I'm new to this whole shiny hunting thing. My goal is to get a shiny piplup in either pokemon diamond/platinum or in pokemon white. What's the best way to go about this?
    Well, seeing as piplup is a starter, you could start with soft resetting, which is basically saving in front of the spot where you recieve your starter and resetting until you get a shiny.

I currently have a foreign charizard, but I don't know if I have the patience for hatching a shiny. I tried SRing for a shiny mudkip in emerald, but I ran out of patience very fast.

Can someone explain all of the shiny lingo to me? MM? RE? What is that?
    Last edited by GreatGonzales; 27th July 2012 at 5:11 PM.
    I have claimed Alduin, the mighty dragon! He shall one day return to bring forth the end of time, and fulfill the prophecy of the world eater.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatGonzales View Post
    MM= Masuda Method
    RE=Random Encounter

Shiny's have been EV trained finally!

Living Pokedex Project: 718/718 Completed!

heres all the methods to finding a shiny

SR- soft resetting- resting the game for a stationary pokemon to shine
    RE- random encounters- running around in gras caves water until you encounter a shiny
    MM- masuda method- hatching eggs by using a pokemon from a different country with yours until one hatches shiny
    Chain- using the pokeradar a version exclusive item only found in diamond,pearl and platinum
    trade- going on the gts or with friends and trade for them
    GLASSTHEDRAGON
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Current Hunt:
    8,400 SRs
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Other Hunts
    2123 REs

Quote Originally Posted by firedojomaster View Post
    SR'ing for starters in those games is pretty slow, you're better off MM'ing for it in black or white, good luck!
    Shiny Kalos Challenge!
    (Obtain all 6th gen shinies)
    66/66 Obtained! Completed!!
    Latest Shiny!
    Obtained 11/16/14
    Total Shinies: 259

Currently Hunting:
    Omega Ruby: Tornadus. (SR)

Hey guys congrats and good luck to all as usual. Aqua still no luck with your starter? @ the above posts i personally find rng too complicated and too much like cheating, also try to stay on topic. My black version hasnt heard of beginners luck @ 750 eggs and no turquoise treecko still strong though! Shine 4 me soon, as for the next MM hunt i was thinking turtwig but i really am starting to like other shinies so im either picking up my zorua hunt(@465 eggs) or starting a vulpix or charmander hunt.
    My Shiny Pokemon:

5th Gen:
    ;Emolga; ;Solosis;

6th Gen:
    Greninja ;Volcarona; (X2) Aegislash ;Lampent; Diggersby

Luvin' the t'wigs <3
    3DS fc: Paddy 2621-3316-5077 (Pm if you add me)

Hey guys congrats and good luck to all as usual. Aqua still no luck with your starter? @ the above posts i personally find rng too complicated and too much like cheating, also try to stay on topic. My black version hasnt heard of beginners luck @ 750 eggs and no turquoise treecko still strong though! Shine 4 me soon, as for the next MM hunt i was thinking turtwig but i really am starting to like other shinies so im either picking up my zorua hunt(@465 eggs) or starting a vulpix or charmander hunt.
    My Shiny Pokemon:

5th Gen:
    ;Emolga; ;Solosis;

6th Gen:
    Greninja ;Volcarona; (X2) Aegislash ;Lampent; Diggersby

Luvin' the t'wigs <3
    3DS fc: Paddy 2621-3316-5077 (Pm if you add me)

Shutting power off will reseed your RNG (It's not truly random, the string of number is always the same but where it starts in the string is determined when you power on)
    BUT there are things that you do that skips over numbers. So unless you're abusing the RNG, you don't necessarily have a better chance at hitting a shiny if you leave the power on. You could easily skip over it, just by your character moving a couple steps.
    Pearl BQ: 1.2.3.4.
    SS BQ: 1.2.3.4.

I'm on my first MM shiny hunt after I got my japanese ditto today off the GTS, looking for a shiny axew with a adamant nature, I'm 13 eggs hatched in..nothing yet but 13 regular axews with adament nature if anyone wants one let me know

ShinyHaxorus you do know you can get an automatic shiny Haxorus in Pokemon White 2 and Black 2. You just have to see all the pokemon in the Unova pokedex. You could soft reset until you catch an adamant natured one.
    Current Hunts

Omegaruby Badgequest
    1. Zigzagoon- November 24th, 2014

Heart Gold Badge Quest
    1. Shiny Bellsprout- Found on June 27, 2013
    2. Shiny Unkown A- Found on July 1st, 2013
    3. Shiny Nidoran Male- Found on July 25 2013
    4. Shiny Spinrak- Found on July 26 2013
    5. Shiny Spearow- Found on July 28th 2013
    6. Shiny Psyduck- Found on July 28th 2013
    7. Shiny Noctowl- Found on Oct 2nd 2013
    8. Shiny Diglett- Found on August 9th 2014

White 2 Badge Quest- Completed on December 29th 2012!
    1. Shiny Tepig
    2.Shiny Growlithe-7595 RE
    3. Shiny Rattata-4,815 RE
    4.Shiny Yamask-16,772 RE
    5.Shiny Combee(Male)- 19,823 RE
    6. Shiny Zebstrika- 2,025 RE
    7. Shiny Zangoose- 2,582 RE
    8. Shiny Swablu- 12,264 RE

Page 8 of 65 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast