Page 78 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2868747576777879808182 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 2185

Thread: Create &/or Change Anything & Everything Competitive Edition!

Quote Originally Posted by Orithan View Post
    Dogs can be ferocious. I've seen a few and boy they are not something who you want to cross with.
    Let's say that the one that gets it is just a special event pokemon that knows a special move. No other sheps get it.
    I think you are putting waaaaaaaay too much thought into your Pokemon.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of the Forums View Post
    I think you are putting waaaaaaaay too much thought into your Pokemon.
    I came up with Shepmite in a couple of nights, spending a total of around 1.5 hours into deciding what it should be like while writing it all down. It took longer to post, I can tell you for sure (PS. Internet problems and a 3DS does not mix well). I am planning on building a Pokemon Online mod that supports these new pokemon in the somewhat distant future.
    Current IV hunt:
    - Perfect IV w/ Anticipation. Current progress: 31/31/31/??/31/31 IV w/ Anticipation.

Previous hunts:
    - 31/31/31/??/31/31 IV w/ Huge Power and Adamant Nature.

I think I'm going to do something a little different here and add a status that can only happen under certain conditions.

So the fact that electric type pokemon can be paralyzed really annoys me, especially the things like rotom who are ghosts so you have no excuse to say they can be paralyzed. Instead, when they should be paralyzed by an electric type move, I believe it should be called supercharged. How supercharged should work IMO is it doubles the supercharged mons speed while dropping half of it's defenses. This makes it so the status does have some draw back but is also slightly more risky to use

For those of you that know anything about electricity the pokemon would essentially be a circuit, it's dropped defenses would be a drop in the total resistance while the increase in speed would be the increase in current, so this actually makes sense unlike the paralysis caused by something like t-wave in the current mechanics.

^You ever have that moment you realize you forgot to give credit? Sorry Irra!!^

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonicwari View Post
    I think I'm going to do something a little different here and add a status that can only happen under certain conditions.

So the fact that electric type pokemon can be paralyzed really annoys me, especially the things like rotom who are ghosts so you have no excuse to say they can be paralyzed. Instead, when they should be paralyzed by an electric type move, I believe it should be called supercharged. How supercharged should work IMO is it doubles the supercharged mons speed while dropping half of it's defenses. This makes it so the status does have some draw back but is also slightly more risky to use

For those of you that know anything about electricity the pokemon would essentially be a circuit, it's dropped defenses would be a drop in the total resistance while the increase in speed would be the increase in current, so this actually makes sense unlike the paralysis caused by something like t-wave in the current mechanics.
    This is too swingy as it provides -2/-2/+2 stat changes on Defense, Special Defense and Speed respectively, even for something like status. Paralysis is also not related to electricity at all, but rather limiting the ability to move, but it is most closely associated with electricity. Then there is the fact that Body Slam and Tri-Attack, both Normal-typed attacks, can inflict paralysis.
    With the current description, it is better left to an ability similar to Flare Boost.

New mechanic:

The field now has four zones in which hazards may be placed in; named Underground/underwater, Ground/water, Floating Low and Floating High in order from lowest to highest zone. Each zone can only hold one type of hazard, with the new type replacing the old one when used (so no Spikes+TSpikes stacking). Characteristics for each zone are:

• Underground/ Underwater: Does not cause damage on pokemon switching in, but causes pokemon who uses moves that bring it below the field like Dig to take damage on the turn of using the move in. Limited use in competitive enviroment, but there is no current way other than Disarm to clear these types of hazards. No entry hazards can be put in this area as of now.
    • Ground/Water: Causes damage to pokemon that aren't flying or levitating that switches in. Can be removed with Rapid Spin and (now) Defog. Spikes, Toxic Spikes and Cinder are classified as Ground/Water hazards.
    • Floating Low: Same attributes except flying types and levitators are also affected. Currently, only Stealth Rock fits in this zone.
    • Floating high: As the same as the Underground/ Underwater zone, but inflicts damage on pokemon uses a move that causes it rise high into the air (Fly, Bounce, etc.). Currently, no hazards fit into this zone.

Updated move -

Cinder -

New in-depth effect: The user lays a trap made of smoldering cinder blocks that inflicts damage equal to a 10 BP attack on pokemon coming out into the battle. It uses the Special Attack stat of the most recent user (In the case of Magic Coat/ Bounce users, their Special Attack stat is applied to the Cinder that is deflected).
    It's base power doubles each time a new layer is added, with a maxinum of 40 BP on three layers. Its power is affected by factors like weather and wherever the user gained STAB from it or not.

Zone: Ground/ Water.
    Current IV hunt:
    - Perfect IV w/ Anticipation. Current progress: 31/31/31/??/31/31 IV w/ Anticipation.

Previous hunts:

New Item:

Cloud stone
    "Removes weather effects"

-So basically Cloud Nine in an item.

FC: 4699-6505-4258

IGN: Diva

New mechanic:

The field now has four zones in which hazards may be placed in; named Underground/underwater, Ground/water, Floating Low and Floating High in order from lowest to highest zone. Each zone can only hold one type of hazard, with the new type replacing the old one when used (so no Spikes+TSpikes stacking). Characteristics for each zone are:

• Underground/ Underwater: Does not cause damage on pokemon switching in, but causes pokemon who uses moves that bring it below the field like Dig to take damage on the turn of using the move in. Limited use in competitive enviroment, but there is no current way other than Disarm to clear these types of hazards. No entry hazards can be put in this area as of now.
    • Ground/Water: Causes damage to pokemon that aren't flying or levitating that switches in. Can be removed with Rapid Spin and (now) Defog. Spikes, Toxic Spikes and Cinder are classified as Ground/Water hazards.
    • Floating Low: Same attributes except flying types and levitators are also affected. Currently, only Stealth Rock fits in this zone.
    • Floating high: As the same as the Underground/ Underwater zone, but inflicts damage on pokemon uses a move that causes it rise high into the air (Fly, Bounce, etc.). Currently, no hazards fit into this zone.

Updated move -

Cinder -

New in-depth effect: The user lays a trap made of smoldering cinder blocks that inflicts damage equal to a 10 BP attack on pokemon coming out into the battle. It uses the Special Attack stat of the most recent user (In the case of Magic Coat/ Bounce users, their Special Attack stat is applied to the Cinder that is deflected).
    It's base power doubles each time a new layer is added, with a maxinum of 40 BP on three layers. Its power is affected by factors like weather and wherever the user gained STAB from it or not.

Zone: Ground/ Water.
    I don't see the categorization being a problem at all. It's just making "vulnerable to Thunder", "vulnerable to Surf", and "vulnerable to Earthquake", among certain other things, more cleanly mentioned.

As for Cinders, the only confusion I'm having is whether or not the Sp. Atk of the initial user of Cinders or that of the Magic Bouncer's is used to calculate the power.

Quote Originally Posted by cascadethewarrior View Post
    New Item:

Cloud stone
    "Removes weather effects"

-So basically Cloud Nine in an item.
    Perfectly fine.

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

Hope it's alright that I put up my ideas for entry hazard related stuff here.

Moves:

Flare Orbs
    The user lays a trap of fireballs around the opponent's team. The trap hurts opponents that switch into battle.

Basically, Stealth Rock with a Fire-typing to hurt Steel-types that resist Stealth Rock.

Barbed Plant
    The user lays a trap of spiky plants around the opponent's team. The trap hurts opponents that switch into battle.

Same, but with a Grass-typing to hurt Ground-types that resisted Stealth Rock.

Psystorm
    The user creates a storm of psychic energy around the opponent's team. The trap hurts opponents that switch into battle.

Another Stealth Rock clone, with a Psychic typing to hit Fighting types.

I suppose the main problem with adding these to counter Stealth Rock is that all of these have Pokemon that are immune to them(Flash Fire users, Sap Sipper users, and Dark-types respectively), so I guess it would be a good idea to add another one that doesn't come up against such immunities, such as Ice(would be similar enough to Stealth Rock) or Dark(that kind of attack would suit them).

Items:

Melt Stone

When the Pokemon holding this item enters the field, all foreign objects are destroyed. Any non-Fire type Pokemon takes damage when switching in with this item.

By 'foreign objects', I of course mean entry hazards, Light Screen, Reflect, Safeguard, and Substitutes(Probably others, though I can't think of any right now). The way I see it now, this removes such things on the user's side as well as the opponent's.

Swarm Stone
    When the Pokemon holding this item enters the field, all foreign objects are carried away. Any non-Bug type Pokemon takes damage when switching in with this item.

Gust Stone
    When the Pokemon holding this item enters the field, all foreign objects are blown away. Any non-Flying type Pokemon takes damage when switching in with this item.

Blizzard Stone
    When the Pokemon holding this item enters the field, all foreign objects are frozen and crumbled away. Any non-Ice type Pokemon takes damage when switching in with this item.
    Pokemon X and Y:
    Friend Code: 0061-0847-8548
    Friend Safari: Emolga, Galvantula, Heliolisk
    Seeking safaris: Currently None.

Looking for: Aggronite, Houndoomite, Mewtwoite Y, Charizardite X, Heracrossite, Groudon

Can provide: Pokerus, Any berry, Lucky Egg, Damp Rock, Light Clay, Light Ball, Heart Scale, Blazikenite, Many HA Pokemon, Most Pokemon only available through Pokebank, Some Legendaries.

Quote Originally Posted by BladedScizor View Post
    Flare Orbs
    The user lays a trap of fireballs around the opponent's team. The trap hurts opponents that switch into battle.

Basically, Stealth Rock with a Fire-typing to hurt Steel-types that resist Stealth Rock.

Barbed Plant
    The user lays a trap of spiky plants around the opponent's team. The trap hurts opponents that switch into battle.

Same, but with a Grass-typing to hurt Ground-types that resisted Stealth Rock.

Psystorm
    The user creates a storm of psychic energy around the opponent's team. The trap hurts opponents that switch into battle.

Another Stealth Rock clone, with a Psychic typing to hit Fighting types.

I suppose the main problem with adding these to counter Stealth Rock is that all of these have Pokemon that are immune to them(Flash Fire users, Sap Sipper users, and Dark-types respectively), so I guess it would be a good idea to add another one that doesn't come up against such immunities, such as Ice(would be similar enough to Stealth Rock) or Dark(that kind of attack would suit them).
    The problem with creating so many different entry hazard moves is that different Pokémon would have access to different ones. Even more Pokémon would be able to use entry hazards than before. I don't know about you, but the metagame would be so centralized on the existence of entry hazards and getting rid of them that there would practically be no room for teams that exploit weather, hyper offense, or even Gravity and Trick Room to shine anymore.

It's easy to say that allowing only one kind of Stealth Rock-like entry hazard to exist on any one side of the battlefield at once would fix the problem, but if that's the case, running only one of the above in any one team would be the optimal thing to do. But at that rate, it would make it no different from what Stealth Rock is now. Of course, the whole point of making so many different entry hazards is to create a Stealth Rock-like environment in the first place, but the addition of these moves does create that "overly saturated entry hazard metagame" feel that I described above.

And of course, it would decrease the uniqueness of Stealth Rock, but I know not everybody cares about this, so...

Items:
    Melt Stone
    When the Pokemon holding this item enters the field, all foreign objects are destroyed. Any non-Fire type Pokemon takes damage when switching in with this item.

By 'foreign objects', I of course mean entry hazards, Light Screen, Reflect, Safeguard, and Substitutes(Probably others, though I can't think of any right now). The way I see it now, this removes such things on the user's side as well as the opponent's.

Swarm Stone
    When the Pokemon holding this item enters the field, all foreign objects are carried away. Any non-Bug type Pokemon takes damage when switching in with this item.

Gust Stone
    When the Pokemon holding this item enters the field, all foreign objects are blown away. Any non-Flying type Pokemon takes damage when switching in with this item.

Blizzard Stone
    When the Pokemon holding this item enters the field, all foreign objects are frozen and crumbled away. Any non-Ice type Pokemon takes damage when switching in with this item.
    Sure. (:

Well, maybe adding a new spikes would help out if it can't be used along side the original....but as for another stealth rock? No, just no. Especially not fire type.

The metagame is as offensive as it is, and it's bad enough that stall teams have to avoid having more then one rock weak pokemon in order to keep up. Now, if that limit was placed on another type, especially one for steel, the primary defensive type...that'd just be plain unfair.

I guess It'd also take away one more rapid spin candidate...but contrary to popular belief, Forretress is out place on a stall team anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    The problem with creating so many different entry hazard moves is that different Pokémon would have access to different ones. Even more Pokémon would be able to use entry hazards than before. I don't know about you, but the metagame would be so centralized on the existence of entry hazards and getting rid of them that there would practically be no room for teams that exploit weather, hyper offense, or even Gravity and Trick Room to shine anymore.

It's easy to say that allowing only one kind of Stealth Rock-like entry hazard to exist on any one side of the battlefield at once would fix the problem, but if that's the case, running only one of the above in any one team would be the optimal thing to do. But at that rate, it would make it no different from what Stealth Rock is now. Of course, the whole point of making so many different entry hazards is to create a Stealth Rock-like environment in the first place, but the addition of these moves does create that "overly saturated entry hazard metagame" feel that I described above.

And of course, it would decrease the uniqueness of Stealth Rock, but I know not everybody cares about this, so...
    Yeah, I had meant to mention that I had intended for only one such hazard would be allowed on any one side of the field at a time; I'm not sure why I didn't say that. Anyway, my thoughts were that, with Stealth Rock-esque hazards that could hit Pokes that resisted Stealth Rock, players wouldn't be able to just deem all Rock-weak Pokemon crap and consider themselves safe anymore, since there'd be other, different entry hazard types an opponent could potentially have, instead of just rock.

Then again, I suppose just the items would accomplish my main goal just as well, since it would give the rock-weak Pokemon a means to remove entry hazards that other types don't get.
    Pokemon X and Y:
    Friend Code: 0061-0847-8548
    Friend Safari: Emolga, Galvantula, Heliolisk
    Seeking safaris: Currently None.

Looking for: Aggronite, Houndoomite, Mewtwoite Y, Charizardite X, Heracrossite, Groudon

Can provide: Pokerus, Any berry, Lucky Egg, Damp Rock, Light Clay, Light Ball, Heart Scale, Blazikenite, Many HA Pokemon, Most Pokemon only available through Pokebank, Some Legendaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Well, maybe adding a new spikes would help out if it can't be used along side the original....but as for another stealth rock? No, just no. Especially not fire type.

The metagame is as offensive as it is, and it's bad enough that stall teams have to avoid having more then one rock weak pokemon in order to keep up. Now, if that limit was placed on another type, especially one for steel, the primary defensive type...that'd just be plain unfair.

I guess It'd also take away one more rapid spin candidate...but contrary to popular belief, Forretress is out place on a stall team anyway.
    Strictly speaking, there's really no reason for a new Stealth Rock or Spikes to begin with, considering how the metagame is now. But since Spikes and Stealth Rock, despite their differences, are still both entry hazards, it would be a pretty bad idea to create an alternative Spikes just so the Spikes group of brothers can compete with the high and mighty Stealth Rock.

Introducing a new Spikes variant that can't be used along the original (or with Stealth Rock, that would be even better) would discourage extreme use of entry hazards. For better or worse, this would also logically mean that Toxic Spikes and Spikes would have to be mutually exclusive as well, as well as any form of Spikes with Stealth Rock. In the end, unless the newly-introduced Spikes were extremely metagame-warping (like with Stealth Rock), Stealth Rock would always win the "entry hazard war". But if that's the case, what would be the point of having introduced a new Spikes-like entry hazard in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by BladedScizor View Post
    Yeah, I had meant to mention that I had intended for only one such hazard would be allowed on any one side of the field at a time; I'm not sure why I didn't say that. Anyway, my thoughts were that, with Stealth Rock-esque hazards that could hit Pokes that resisted Stealth Rock, players wouldn't be able to just deem all Rock-weak Pokemon crap and consider themselves safe anymore, since there'd be other, different entry hazard types an opponent could potentially have, instead of just rock.

Then again, I suppose just the items would accomplish my main goal just as well, since it would give the rock-weak Pokemon a means to remove entry hazards that other types don't get.
    In the case of entry hazards specifically, since they shouldn't be fully relied on to defeat the opposition, I feel that creating items that discourage their use is quite alright. In the case of the Gust Stone in particular, it would have the most effect on Fighting types that are resistant to Stealth Rock. Much of the metagame this generation is focused on Fighting-type Pokémon and entry hazards anyway, so an item to address both of those things with one fell swoop is pretty nice, if you ask me.

Introducing a new Spikes variant that can't be used along the original (or with Stealth Rock, that would be even better) would discourage extreme use of entry hazards. For better or worse, this would also logically mean that Toxic Spikes and Spikes would have to be mutually exclusive as well, as well as any form of Spikes with Stealth Rock. In the end, unless the newly-introduced Spikes were extremely metagame-warping (like with Stealth Rock), Stealth Rock would always win the "entry hazard war". But if that's the case, what would be the point of having introduced a new Spikes-like entry hazard in the first place?
    There could be the possibility of not being able to use it along spikes, but being able to use it among stealth rock and toxic spikes.

Too me, the appeal is variety. You have more options then just Ferrothorn and Skarmory to set up "spikes". This same problem could be fixed by increasing spike's distribution, though...
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

There could be the possibility of not being able to use it along spikes, but being able to use it among stealth rock and toxic spikes.

Too me, the appeal is variety. You have more options then just Ferrothorn and Skarmory to set up "spikes". This same problem could be fixed by increasing spike's distribution, though...
    Spikes, regardless of what it does, is still just an entry hazard just like Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock are. It doesn't really make sense for an entry hazard to not be able to be used alongside Spikes but somehow be able to be used alongside its Toxic counterpart. It'd make more sense if it weren't able to be used alongside both Spikes and Toxic Spikes (and by extension, Stealth Rock, because otherwise, the presence of both entry hazards would dominate too much).

Spikes, regardless of what it does, is still just an entry hazard just like Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock are. It doesn't really make sense for an entry hazard to not be able to be used alongside Spikes but somehow be able to be used alongside its Toxic counterpart. It'd make more sense if it weren't able to be used alongside both Spikes and Toxic Spikes (and by extension, Stealth Rock, because otherwise, the presence of both entry hazards would dominate too much).
    Actually, it does make sense in a way. They may all be entry hazards, but isn't that just a name us fans labeled them? Who's to say they're actually connected?

Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rocks, besides having an effect as the opponent swaps in, still have completely different effects.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Ability change:

Cloud nine: It goes with two choices on how it will work if Cloud Nine is changed: Yo decide which:

a. Removes all forms of weather upon entry. Hate Politoeds, Ninetales, Hippowdown and Tyranitars, and Abomasnows? Kill them with this ability.

b. Removes all forms of weather and obliterates hazards upon entry.
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

I like the second ability
    Nerf Entry Hazards!
    ^^
    [img]http://i41.*******.com/2m2fivq.png[/img]
    Lovely Art by Equal-to-Heaven
    Join the Pokemon Anime Style Battling League!
    |PASBL|FB|Manga|A little something to watch|Art|
    [img]http://i42.*******.com/2lw4umr.gif[/img]

Actually, it does make sense in a way. They may all be entry hazards, but isn't that just a name us fans labeled them? Who's to say they're actually connected?

Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rocks, besides having an effect as the opponent swaps in, still have completely different effects.
    Yeah, entry hazards may only be called entry hazards because in the games, they do something when the opponent switches in.

If concentrating the ground of the battlefield with too many entry hazards is a flavor issue, then why would the newly-created entry hazard care about Spikes being on the battlefield but not care about Toxic Spikes being on the battlefield? Both are ground-based. I get the possible overpowered-ness that Spikes and the newly-created entry hazard could have, but you might as well eliminate Toxic Spikes from being used alongside it, too, just for consistency issues.

If concentrating the ground of the battlefield with too many entry hazards is a flavor issue, then why would the newly-created entry hazard care about Spikes being on the battlefield but not care about Toxic Spikes being on the battlefield? Both are ground-based. I get the possible overpowered-ness that Spikes and the newly-created entry hazard could have, but you might as well eliminate Toxic Spikes from being used alongside it, too, just for consistency issues.
    Consistency was never really a major issue in developing pokemon (See: Charizard, Pidgey, Magikarp's pokedex entries throughout the generations). This is more a matter of making a new entry hazard to increase variety without forcing a pokemon to lose half of there health, regardless of any resistances or weakness, in one turn.
    I personally find the idea kind of pointless, though. I'm really not sure another entry hazard will help much; if anything, it would make teams more restricted for need of a spinner, and would make pokemon significantly more frustrating.

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

Quote Originally Posted by Soperman View Post
    Consistency was never really a major issue in developing pokemon (See: Charizard, Pidgey, Magikarp's pokedex entries throughout the generations). This is more a matter of making a new entry hazard to increase variety without forcing a pokemon to lose half of there health, regardless of any resistances or weakness, in one turn.
    I personally find the idea kind of pointless, though. I'm really not sure another entry hazard will help much; if anything, it would make teams more restricted for need of a spinner, and would make pokemon significantly more frustrating.
    The consistency thing with the Pokédex entries never actually altered anything, though. Deciding whether or not an entry hazard is usable with one of the two Spikes or neither at all can alter a team's strategy--if not quite a bit, then just a little.

But I guess I just don't agree with the creation of a new entry hazard to limit their potency. Regardless of what new entry hazards are made, there would still be new entry hazards. Even if one or two of them are rendered obsolete, the newly-created ones would still be used, which doesn't really solve the problem of entry hazard "imbalance" that we all mention.

Cloud Nine is a cool ability - too bad only golduck, altaria, and lickilicky get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Icarus View Post
    I like the second ability
    Nerf Entry Hazards!
    ^^
    I disagree. While I hate them and have already nerfed them (see my Disarm ability a couple of pages back), I think removing them and weather completely is far too much for an ability to have. It also doesn't fit the flavour - Cloud Nine, if I recall correctly, was a term used to describe the cloud that is one step away from Heaven (assuming that this is a religious term). It is supposed to imply that the pokemon is above the weather, and therefore ignores it. Leave it as it is.

@Wishing Star on your feedback on my updated Cinder: Since this is hard to explain...
    Example battle -

Trainer A's Scizor switched out to Politoed. (Politoed is at about 40%).
    Trainer B's Shepmite used Cinder. This Shepmite is of the Relaxed nature and has invested 168 EVs into Special Attack, it has 258 Special Attack, and the Cinder present on the foe's side of the field will send off 10 BP attacks coming off 258 Special Attack (plus STAB) at any ground-based pokemon who come in later.
    It started raining. It halves the power of Cinder.

Trainer B's Shepmite used Volt Switch. It switched with Ninetales
    Trainer A's Politoed faints.
    Trainer A sends out Scizor. It takes around 25% from Cinder in the rain.
    The sun begun to shine, increasing the power of Cinder to from 0.5x to 1.5x

Trainer A's Scizor switches out to Espeon, who takes about 15% in the sun.
    Trainer B's Ninetales used Cinder.
    Espeon's Magic Bounce reflected the Cinder, sending a 10 BP, 359 Special Attack non-STAB Cinder to Trainer B's side of the field.

Now that all that's out of the way, it's showtime!

New move!

Snare (N/A BP, N/A Accuracy, 15 PP, Status, Foe's team, Steel type).

Flavour text: "The user strategically places snares on the ground to prevent ground-based pokemon from switching out on the turn after they enter."

In-depth effect: It creates a hazard on the field that prevents any ground-based pokemon from switching out nornally on the turn after it came in.

Zone: Water/Ground.

Notable users: Ferrothorn, Tangrowth, Coballion.

Comments: My second new entry hazard, but this one doesn't directly harm or status pokemon, but rather prevent them from switching out on the turn after they were sent in. This would puninish misprediction and double-switching pretty badly.
    Current IV hunt:

Previous hunts:

@Wishing Star on your feedback on my updated Cinder: Since this is hard to explain...
    Example battle -

Trainer A's Scizor switched out to Politoed. (Politoed is at about 40%).
    Trainer B's Shepmite used Cinder. This Shepmite is of the Relaxed nature and has invested 168 EVs into Special Attack, it has 258 Special Attack, and the Cinder present on the foe's side of the field will send off 10 BP attacks coming off 258 Special Attack (plus STAB) at any ground-based pokemon who come in later.
    It started raining. It halves the power of Cinder.

Trainer B's Shepmite used Volt Switch. It switched with Ninetales
    Trainer A's Politoed faints.
    Trainer A sends out Scizor. It takes around 25% from Cinder in the rain.
    The sun begun to shine, increasing the power of Cinder to from 0.5x to 1.5x

Trainer A's Scizor switches out to Espeon, who takes about 15% in the sun.
    Trainer B's Ninetales used Cinder.
    Espeon's Magic Bounce reflected the Cinder, sending a 10 BP, 359 Special Attack non-STAB Cinder to Trainer B's side of the field.
    Alright, sure. The only thing I don't get is why the Magic Bounced Cinder immediately triggers the entry effect even when the Ninetales never switched out.

New move!

Snare (N/A BP, N/A Accuracy, 15 PP, Status, Foe's team, Steel type).

Flavour text: "The user strategically places snares on the ground to prevent ground-based pokemon from switching out on the turn after they enter."

In-depth effect: It creates a hazard on the field that prevents any ground-based pokemon from switching out nornally on the turn after it came in.

Zone: Water/Ground.

Notable users: Ferrothorn, Tangrowth, Coballion.

Comments: My second new entry hazard, but this one doesn't directly harm or status pokemon, but rather prevent them from switching out on the turn after they were sent in. This would puninish misprediction and double-switching pretty badly.
    I really like this entry hazard. It's a nice spin on the whole trapping effect that Mean Look gives in combination with the "status" infliction much like Toxic Spikes does.

Speaking of Mean Look, though, Mean Look is only active if the user is still out; it subsides if the user of Mean Look switches out. To compensate for the snares being unable to switch out, the trapping duration should last a certain number of turns.

I should mention that in the above example, if Snares were in effect rather than Cinder, it would prevent the Espeon from switching out because of the trigger effect that this move has.

Alright, sure. The only thing I don't get is why the Magic Bounced Cinder immediately triggers the entry effect even when the Ninetales never switched out.
    It hasn't. I was merely stating the parameters of the Cinder that Espeon Magic Bounced. If it did activate the effect, then Ninetales would have taken damage. If you were talking about Scizor switching in and taking damage, it would have because Cinder was used on the turn before Politoed was KO'd and Scizor coming in.

Speaking of Mean Look, though, Mean Look is only active if the user is still out; it subsides if the user of Mean Look switches out. To compensate for the snares being unable to switch out, the trapping duration should last a certain number of turns.
    I think Mean Look should stay the same for flavour reasons. Mean Look implies that, for the time after the user has used it until it switches out, the user constantly holds the target under the arresting look that stops them from switching out.
    Current IV hunt:

Previous hunts:

It hasn't. I was merely stating the parameters of the Cinder that Espeon Magic Bounced. If it did activate the effect, then Ninetales would have taken damage. If you were talking about Scizor switching in and taking damage, it would have because Cinder was used on the turn before Politoed was KO'd and Scizor coming in.
    I'm sorry. I meant that I don't get why the Cinder would be based off the Espeon's Sp. Atk rather than the initial user's. The Magic Bounce merely bounces the cinders back; it shouldn't get based off the bouncer's stats at all.

I think Mean Look should stay the same for flavour reasons. Mean Look implies that, for the time after the user has used it until it switches out, the user constantly holds the target under the arresting look that stops them from switching out.
    Yeah, I was saying that the trapping effect that Mean Look has can wear off by the user fainting (a pretty easy elimination method), whereas Snares would only be able to be eliminated through Rapid Spin and other such abilities (a much harder elimination method), and so Snares could do with an easier way to deal with the trapping.

I'm sorry. I meant that I don't get why the Cinder would be based off the Espeon's Sp. Atk rather than the initial user's. The Magic Bounce merely bounces the cinders back; it shouldn't get based off the bouncer's stats at all.
    Alright, changing it.

Yeah, I was saying that the trapping effect that Mean Look has can wear off by the user fainting (a pretty easy elimination method), whereas Snares would only be able to be eliminated through Rapid Spin and other such abilities (a much harder elimination method), and so Snares could do with an easier way to deal with the trapping.
    However, Snares trap any pokemon coming in for only the turn after the turn it comes in on (2 if you count the turn when it comes in and it activates) as opposed to Mean Look trapping until either the target is KO'd or the user switches out. For example; if a Breloom switches into Snares on a predicted Ferrothorn switch in, hoping to get a free Swords Dance boost, and instead comes up against a Gliscor. Thanks to the Snares, Gliscor can safely OHKO Breloom with a powerful Acrobatics without the fear of it switching out.
    Another case; Blissey is sent in on the Snares to sponge the foe's Landorus-T Focus Blasts only to be greeted by the foe's Volcarona threatening to set up on the predicted Blissey switch. As Blissey is trapped by the snares for the first turn Volcarona manages to set up two Quiver Dance boosts, one on the turn Blissey is trapped in on and another one on the turn it switches out to Terrakion, and proceeds to sweep Blissey's team (Terrakion gets destroyed by a +2 Hidden Power Fighting).

New Move:

Pray (Power: N/A, Accuracy: N/A, PP: 5/8, Category: Status, Target: Own party, Priority: 0, Light (Normal if Light isn't available) type).

Flavour text: "The user chants a ritualistic prayer. It restores some health of each member of the user's team other than itself."

In-Depth effect: Restores 25% HP (or 12.5% if 25% is too much) of each pokemon on the user's team, except the user.

Notable users: Same distribution as Wish.

Comments: Inspired by Yuna's Pray ability from Final Fantasy X, this move aims to create a good healing move that affects the whole team rather than the user (or possibly one other pokemon in the case of Wish). Though we do have Armoatherapy and Heal Bell, which heals status.
    Current IV hunt:

Previous hunts:

Page 78 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2868747576777879808182 ... LastLast